1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:I regretted it later because I got a mosquito bite or two (mildly NSFW)
Spoiler:
on my you-know-what. Members of the gender that possesses you-know-whats can imagine the torture of trying not to scratch - or worse, of giving in to the temptation to scratch and the consequences of doing so.

Good thing you're not Canadian.

ETA: ooh - pope! Please offer your thoughts on what night-molpies we might see/hear.
Last edited by ggh on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Brighter, lower, ONG
EDIT: Is it Venus? Is the distance from the sun right?

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:Brighter, lower, ONG

Neato, we get to measure the passage of time for a change.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Swein

Postby Swein » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

Time for an OTTification of "When you wish upon a star". Not by me though...

I wonder if it will go pitch black, and then there will be eyes glowing in the dark?
[edit] Like this!
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Spoiler:

I'd say it's possible. Venus can appear up to 47 degrees away from the sun and this is well within that.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
Spoiler:

I'd say it's possible. Venus can appear up to 47 degrees away from the sun and this is well within that.

Can you tell if Venus has been twisted onto it's side into Cassini-Venus? It might be relevant to the long, on-going "where are we?" discussions...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote: :D I hope you didn't summon the Spanish Inquisition with that!
I wouldn't expect that.

I think the fading is Randall's way of showing the sky, so that he can show the sun, so that he can show the sunset, because now it's a story element whereas the sky never was before. I don't think it's clouds any more, since if clouds were relevant, they would have been clearer. Molpy hunting will be harder.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

Prediction:
Yes there will be eyes, but they will be cute molpy eyes. No evil killermolpy eyes, but bunnymolpy eyes. Yes, bunny molpy eyes. Just like the rabbit of Caerbannog.
The rabbits will decapitate Quegan and Time will end.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

hajo

Postby hajo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Please offer your thoughts on what night-molpies we might see/hear.

Can stars be considered molpies ?

Also: bats, fireflies ?

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

hajo wrote:Can stars be considered molpies ?

Also: bats, fireflies ?
Stars, no. The others, yes. Molpies are alive. (Fireflies are a kind of beesnake, which itself is a kind of molpy).

At least that's the way I understand the taxonomy.

eta: I suppose Lassie is a molpy, and a star too.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Papal Decree prediction:

Racoompies?
Spoiler:

Or opposumolpies?
Spoiler:

Maybe even coyotompolies?
Spoiler:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:The sun's angle remains near 49 degrees from horizontal. It's descending close to, or possibly exactly, 8 vertical pixels and 7 horizontal pixels per newpix. Unless something changes, the center of the disc will be below the horizon for the first time 14 newpix from now, crossing near the top of the slightly steeper slope near the horizontal center of the frame.

<snip>

As for my heresy; well, I will also concede that there could be a thin cloud or haze layer, that helps explain the darkening around the sun's disc during the sunset; what I doubt is that that is the main cause of the darkening, and that it is something significant in itself such as an approaching storm or nearby fire. To put it another way: I predict stars will come out when it gets dark, despite whatever haze might be around now. I'll ask the rhetorical question: how else would you clearly depict a sunset, in grayscale, in a sky that starts out #FFFFFF white? I called it artistic license before, but there's also an element of artistic necessity to it, if Randall wanted to make sure the audience (or at least, those involved enough to test and alter the grayscale values) can tell it's a sunset.

Well now. *Breathes on back of hand and then rubs back of fingers on shirt as if polishing the fingernails, in universal gesture of annoying feigned diffidence.* I think I can say I nailed that one, except for one inconsequential unit error that I blame on the software. (Where I said seven and eight "pixels," what I should have said was seven and eight "arbitrary displacement units that Photoshop appears to have invented for the occasion.") I could still be technically wrong about stars (plural) if only the one probably-inner-planet ever shows up, but I expect more forthwith. Therefore, I hereby petition for the sinecure of Astronometrist and Meteorologizer of Time.

However, by way of an olive branch to the image-literalists among us: isn't it cool the way Megan and Cueball can turn their heads off like light bulbs on dimmer switches, when they want to coma? That's an ability to envy.

Edit to add wild guess by papal decree: A tame wolpy will creep up near them unnoticed from upslope, and then lie down half a-coma. It will depart when dawn breaks. This will foreshadow aid that they will find atop the mountain on the next no-longer-heretical day.
Last edited by Rule110 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Spoiler:

Can you tell if Venus has been twisted onto it's side into Cassini-Venus? It might be relevant to the long, on-going "where are we?" discussions...

Actually from what I can from a quick look at Stellarium, Venus seems to be "following" the sun after sunset, in a similar pattern to this right now in the northern hemisphere.

Beyond that, we would need to ask someone much more astronomically versed than myself.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Prediction:
Yes there will be eyes, but they will be cute molpy eyes. No evil killermolpy eyes, but bunnymolpy eyes. Yes, bunny molpy eyes. Just like the rabbit of Caerbannog.

I want to join the Neil_Boekend (May He Rest In Peace) Perpetual End-of-Time Predictor Fan Club.
And I think the club's logo should be redesigned and promotional materials be reprinted every time there's a new prediction.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:I want to join the Neil_Boekend (May He Rest In Peace) Perpetual End-of-Time Predictor Fan Club.
And I think the club's logo should be redesigned and promotional materials be reprinted every time there's a new prediction.
... and I'm placing a BUY order on stock in printing companies.

Jose

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

Woohoo ggh! That made me Image and also Image, especially this bit:

ggh wrote:Oh you can't see the end of my fingers now, nor am I drawn with toes.
None of my hats will fit me anymore; my head expands. Do I have clothes?

I'm tempted to have a go at Gaskrankinstation now (my name's Cuegan, my occupation? well I've been trudging here and there on this mustardy vacation) but I have something else equally obscure in mind - need to let it percolate a little while longer though...

Swein wrote:I don't agree here. My interpretation was that it is food they had between them in 1048 and forward, not a fire, and that it was the rests from the meal he was burying. And after re-analyzing the event I stand firm in my belief!

I also stand firm in Swein's belief! Whatever it is is very small and they're sitting practically on top of it, and it seems to spring forth fully formed - yes there might be unseen between-frame activity to get a fire going, but that doesn't seem to fit with the pacing. Plus it wasn't cold back there/then. I think they spread out a little picnic, Megan ate something which looks uncannily like the rock she picks up in 2379, then Cueball swept the leftovers into a pile and buried them.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Spoiler:

Actually from what I can from a quick look at Stellarium, Venus seems to be "following" the sun after sunset, in a similar pattern to this right now in the northern hemisphere.

Beyond that, we would need to ask someone much more astronomically versed than myself.

I say that with the current information we can't be sure it's Venus and not a particularly bright star. The main visible difference is that planets are at another place in the sky on different nights. We have only seen it once, so we can't make that comparison.

fhorn wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Prediction:

I want to join the Neil_Boekend (May He Rest In Peace) Perpetual End-of-Time Predictor Fan Club.

WOOT, I have a fan club! Yaay!
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

If the other stars come in after the sky darkens, then it is highly likely that it is Venus. Knowing Randall1, he'll probably get the "wandering" of Venus right (a little over one degree per 24 hours) We'll need some recognizable stars to know how much angle we are seeing.

Speaking of recognizible stars, with the planets and stars in view, we may be able to determine exactly when the are, (assuming they are of the same epoch as us)

(Still trying to post this thing)

1 I don't know Randall
Last edited by edo on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:On this newpage: we sort out the touch typists from the pick-n-peckers :P

Re: Stubborn Megan: Now she's just being foolish - sleep is the best medicine (even better than laughter!)

Hey! I can touch-type on a desktop leopard! It's just that the keys are never where I expect them to be on a laptop.

Also: Has it occurred to anyone that we could get a relatively exact fix on position now? We know the angle of the sun, and we know the region of Earth where the sun will move at that angle. We also know that this just barely overlaps the area in which the various flora and fauna could be observed. Combine this with the fact that they are near the sea, and it narrows down to a fairly small part of the coast, right? (Also, that would put the season at mid-winter - which is still a mild season in the tropics.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Bit of a blindpost, so forgive me if my post-coma observations have been pre-observed.

I see now why GLR is showing us this sunset. Before now sunset had no emotional meaning, it would lack the primal sort of terror that sleep in a dangerous remote place can entail, and the beauty and novelty of it would only partially match the early tone of the work, and might require color to pull off. Another way to put it is this: had there been a prior sunset played out this one would not have the same significance. By saving this bit of added realism for now it is not only symbolic of a loss of innocence but also accompanies the first time this comic has ever been Dark. Oh, it was sad before, but now it's a little scary, a little apprehensive. Nostalgia is one thing, but fear of death is something altogether different. But then that's the analysis I'd expect from me for a mayo shot.

Also, I have a notion regarding this page pope nonsense. The second person to post on a page is the Grand Auditor and has the privilege of vetoing the papal decree for that page as heresy should it break the primary law of Blitzarus Annoyus.
Last edited by jovialbard on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:48 pm UTC

[prediction] We will see more and more stars, leading to a star-studded sky. When Megan wakes up to take over the watch, they will both look at the sky for a few frames, then Megan will say: "Neat." Followed by 1-2 frames of silence, after which Cueball answers: "Yeah." [/prediction]
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:On this newpage: we sort out the touch typists from the pick-n-peckers :P

Re: Stubborn Megan: Now she's just being foolish - sleep is the best medicine (even better than laughter!)

Hey! I can touch-type on a desktop leopard! It's just that the keys are never where I expect them to be on a laptop.

Also: Has it occurred to anyone that we could get a relatively exact fix on position now? We know the angle of the sun, and we know the region of Earth where the sun will move at that angle. We also know that this just barely overlaps the area in which the various flora and fauna could be observed. Combine this with the fact that they are near the sea, and it narrows down to a fairly small part of the coast, right? (Also, that would put the season at mid-winter - which is still a mild season in the tropics.)

Yes! Nowhere! Wasn't it established that the wowtrees are the wrong type of tree for most of the other molpies? And the region BlitzGirl points to, while in the northern hemisphere, doesn't seem to be far enough north (quite, though almost) to be right for the sunset. Taken everything as canon there is no place on earth that this could be in present time. There are lots of places it could be assuming a few hundred years or more to grow some wowtrees (and/or transplant some molpies) though.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
taixzo wrote:

Yes! Nowhere! Wasn't it established that the wowtrees are the wrong type of tree for most of the other molpies? And the region BlitzGirl points to, while in the northern hemisphere, doesn't seem to be far enough north (quite, though almost) to be right for the sunset. Taken everything as canon trebuchet there is not place on earth that this could be in present time. There are lots of places it could be assuming a few hundred years or more to grow some wowtrees though.

ftfy

he/him/his

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

LONG NIGHT

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Spoiler:

I say that with the current information we can't be sure it's Venus and not a particularly bright star. The main visible difference is that planets are at another place in the sky on different nights. We have only seen it once, so we can't make that comparison.

My "is Venus on it's side?" question was actually a subtle joke -- in regular light, the cloudbank of Venus renders the planet almost featureless, so even if you could see the "detail" of the GLR's image, and it WAS supposed to be Venus, you'd likely still have no clue as to ts orientation.

From APOD: "Venus can offer less than satisfying telescopic views though. The planet is shrouded in reflective clouds that appear bright but featureless at the eyepiece."

Sometimes, my jokes only amuse me. :wink: OK, almost all the time...

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Spoiler:

My "is Venus on it's side?" question was actually a subtle joke -- in regular light, the cloudbank of Venus renders the planet almost featureless, so even if you could see the "detail" of the GLR's image, and it WAS supposed to be Venus, you'd likely still have no clue as to ts orientation.

From APOD: "Venus can offer less than satisfying telescopic views though. The planet is shrouded in reflective clouds that appear bright but featureless at the eyepiece."

Ah, I took it to mean "Can you tell from the position of Venus in relation to the Sun, whether we are looking at Cassini-Venus?"

Or to clarify, whether we are looking at Venus from Cassini Earth.

alcore

Postby alcore » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

I am glad to see that there is on-going discussion of the sky and how this could locate the story.

Now let's hope that an actual recognizable set of constellations comes into view.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:The darkening is slowing down a bit again, this time -8/-6, so it'll be a few more newpix before it gets completely dark – if that happens.

Are there differences in how this scene looks in different browsers, as there were during the fading?

Yes.
Spoiler:
Top-left half is Firefox, bottom-right half is Chrome.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

Maybe the bright spot in the sky is Earth...

SkUrRiEr

Postby SkUrRiEr » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Good explanation about the fire, however; I've seen many times how much darker the rest of the world gets at night, when you have a nearby light source. I won't use a flashlight in the country at night unless I absolutely have to.

I've been in exceptionally dark underground spaces where you need to use a flashlight. When you turn it off, it's pitch black, even if there's another light source, say, a gap in the "ceiling".

This is why I'm never far from a good light source :)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:

Hey! I can touch-type on a desktop leopard!

Like this one?
mscha wrote:
SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:The darkening is slowing down a bit again, this time -8/-6, so it'll be a few more newpix before it gets completely dark – if that happens.

Are there differences in how this scene looks in different browsers, as there were during the fading?

Yes.
Spoiler:

Thank you. Which one is correct?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

foilman

Postby foilman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:26 pm UTC

Presumably if they do speak later on, while it's dark, they're going to speak in white. So far they've obviously only spoken in black, unless of course they have been having secret conversations in white all along... hmmm... I think I'm over-analysing this.

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
Spoiler:

one thing we can tell is that Earth's axis is more perpendicular to the ecliptic than it is coplanar

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

In the great cartoon
there was a sandcastle
and a flag, maroon
and a picture of...
Megball jumping over the dune
And there were three types of tree that we could see

And two different rivers of which one was bigger
And a little old shack And a pair of sacks

And a squirpy And a bush
And a big sneaky cat that did ambush

Goodnight cartoon Goodnight dune
Goodnight Megball jumping over the dune

Goodnight trees and the flag, maroon
Goodnight wow trees Goodnight rivers

Goodnight little river and Goodnight bigger

Goodnight pretty big tree and Goodnight neat

Goodnight shack and goodnight sacks

Goodnight squirpy and Goodnight bush

Goodnight nobody Goodnight ambush

And Goodnight to the sandcastle in they left in a rush

Goodnight stars Goodnight air

Goodnight noises everywhere
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

akacat

Re: It's TIME!

Postby akacat » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:You know what Time it is?

The Sun

[size=85]Inspired by http://xkcd.com/673/

I really like this! And not just because I choose to believe that one of those meowplies is me. :)

(Blind-posting because I'm just a bit impatient. Also I'm reading a NP where posting blind is the papal decree, so it seems appropriate.)
Last edited by akacat on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:LONG NIGHT
Spoiler:

if Randall continues to show us 5 minute intervals per newpix, it definitely will be.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

SkUrRiEr wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Good explanation about the fire, however; I've seen many times how much darker the rest of the world gets at night, when you have a nearby light source. I won't use a flashlight in the country at night unless I absolutely have to.

I've been in exceptionally dark underground spaces where you need to use a flashlight. When you turn it off, it's pitch black, even if there's another light source, say, a gap in the "ceiling".

This is why I'm never far from a good light source :)

If you had the flashlight on then your rod cells were probably already light-bleached. It would take time for it to correct. Of course the underground space could be dark enough that even fully functional rod cells would not pick up anything.
Or you could have a vitamin A deficiency (do you eat carrots?) or some other reason for nightblindness.

he/him/his

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:You're welcome, fhorn! :) Yay, negative butter!

All this left-ing and right-ing reminds me of "The Foot Book" by Dr. Seuss...

The Pix Poem
Spoiler:
Left pic, left pic
Right pic, right
Pix in the mornip.
Pix at night.H

Left pic,
Left pic,
Left pic,
Right.

Sea pic, sky pic
Low pic, high pic
Find pix, hack pix
White pix, black pix

Left pic, right pic
Neat, neat, neat!
Let's find some pix with LaPetite!

Slow pix, quick pix
Thwap pix, stick pix
Up pix, down pix
Unique noun pix.

Small pix, big pix
"Wild fig?" pix
His pix, her pix
"Why not xer?" pix

In the thread and as we eat,

"Smoke in the air?" pix
"Raptorcat's lair?" pix
"Time to explore?" pix
Twenty-four pix!*
Let's ONG more and more...and more pix!

Left pic, right pic
Neat, neat, neat!

H Heresy? Maybe? We might be seeing night in the OTC soon.
* One xip.

Neat! I think we need a list on the wiki of Dr Seus Timifications. Also a list of his books that have not been converted yet.

I think I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew would be an epic one. Anyone care to take that on?

That would, almost literally, be epic, as the good Dr. has nearly 40 books to his credit in the children’s category alone:

Category:Books by Dr. Seuss (use url below for links to individual books)
Spoiler:
Books by the American author and cartoonist Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel).

The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins
A

And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street
B

Bartholomew and the Oobleck
The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories
The Butter Battle Book
C

The Cat in the Hat
Come over to My House
D

Daisy-Head Mayzie
Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book
F

The Foot Book
Fox in Socks
G

Green Eggs and Ham
H

Happy Birthday to You!
H cont.

Hooray for Diffendoofer Day!
Hop on Pop
Horton Hatches the Egg
Horton Hears a Who!
How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
I

I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today! and Other Stories
I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew
I Wish That I Had Duck Feet
If I Ran the Circus
If I Ran the Zoo
K

The King's Stilts
L

The Lorax
M

Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now!
McElligot's Pool
M cont.

My Many Colored Days
O

Oh, the Places You'll Go!
On Beyond Zebra!
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
P

The Pocket Book of Boners
S

Scrambled Eggs Super!
The Seven Lady Godivas
The Sneetches and Other Stories
T

There's a Wocket in My Pocket
Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose
Y

Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories
You're Only Old Once!

Url to that Wikipedia page here.

Still, I'd love to take part! I'll just grab the nearest Seuss book and start ottifying it when I get home; I'll post which one it is later on.

I'm going to be intermittent for the rest of the wip because instead of taking care of Little Bear (1.5 years old) I'm going to be taking care of the Bunny, who is just over 2, and she's an entirely different kettle of aquatic molpies. I guess I picked the wrong week to stop taking amphetamines... :wink:
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:In the great cartoon
there was a sandcastle
and a flag, maroon
and a picture of...
Megball jumping over the dune
And there were three types of tree that we could see

And two different rivers of which one was bigger
And a little old shack And a pair of sacks

And a squirpy And a bush
And a big sneaky cat that did ambush

Goodnight cartoon Goodnight dune
Goodnight Megball jumping over the dune

Goodnight trees and the flag, maroon
Goodnight wow trees Goodnight rivers

Goodnight little river and Goodnight bigger

Goodnight pretty big tree and Goodnight neat

Goodnight shack and goodnight sacks

Goodnight squirpy and Goodnight bush

Goodnight nobody Goodnight ambush

And Goodnight to the sandcastle in they left in a rush

Goodnight stars Goodnight air

Goodnight noises everywhere

Goodnight, Irene

Goodnight, Saigon

Goodnight, goodnight

Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are,

(...and smart-assery aside, I love your OTTification of "Goodnight, Moon" Kieryn!)

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
mscha wrote:
SBN wrote:

Yes.
Spoiler:

Thank you. Which one is correct?

Hard to say. That depends on your definition of “correct”. We can hardly go to the OTUniverse to compare both browsers' versions with reality, now can we? Image
ETA: note that other tools I'm using give a similar darkness as Firefox, so I'm leaning towards that as being ‘correct’.

The “star” could be Venus, but might also be one on the other visible planets, couldn't it? (Jupiter?)
Of course, it could be a real star, but given that it has a similar trajectory as the sun, does point towards a planet.
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:50 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”