1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:47 am UTC

edfel wrote:- Mars: Axial tilt=25.19°. Check. Sideral rotation period=24.6h. Check. Terraformable=maybe. Check. Stars positions: can't see the difference with Earth. Check. Planets positions: there must be a night in 2000 years where two planets are in what we assume to be Venus and Jupiter positions. Check. No artificial satellite (or very few). Check. Sea, baobab, squirpies, etc. That's a loooot of work, which would take a looooong time. 10,000 years? Maybe. My favorite "non-earth" option

Ah. So perhaps the UFO wasn't abducting Cueball, but rather acting as a futuristic Martian taxi service? Image

Edit: not again...i'm gonna go coma, please fill up the newpage without me...
Spoiler:
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:49 am UTC

edfel wrote:- Venus: rotates backwards

This explains a lot.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:59 am UTC

@Blitzgirl

I've taken the liberty to update Lucky's wiki entry with your drawing: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Meowlpy
Hope that's ok...
Go Minim go!

Angelastic

Re: But then he heard a chirp!

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:00 am UTC

When people write 'ch**p', I tend to read it as 'chimp'.
Latent22 wrote:1.
to have sexual intercourse with a bird.

NSFW funny song

Existing posters actually have a slightly higher than 1/40 chance per post of becoming pope, because a first-time poster can't become pope unless they're very speedily approved (newpostbumps having no effect on popehood) but they do bring the next pope closer.

higgs-boson wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Oh mustard, I just became retro-Mome. Let me find the firstpost that bumped us:

LoonieSpace wrote:Hi xkcd Timers. Been following most of the discussion here and especially like the astronomical / astrophysical analysis. But curious if anyone ever ruled out the possibility that cuegan are on a distant-future terraformed Mars or Venus. Curious if the axis of rotation and other observations could fit.

Image, LoonieSpace! Interesting idea, I don't believe I've seen anyone post about that one yet.

The thought is not new, but, as far as I can remember, indeed not illuminated, yet. I guess the common astronomical tool box does not have the check box "include points of view located on other celestial bodies in search". And if yes: What radius (maximum distance from this heap of atmosphered dirt we love and call "earth") do you want to give?

I am, as usual, neither talented nor educated. Keeps bugging me.
I also wondered about that, but the main thing I remember about astronomy camp was people throwing eggs at goats, and not seeing the green flash, so I couldn't bring much science to it.

BlitzGirl's molpakitties are adorable, but make Cueball's big round head look kind of creepy and a bit like an ice cream.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:06 am UTC

One more ONG and then I'm gone:

I can make out Cuegan's not-faces in Chrome, now.
And I don't mind at all, Zorin. :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:07 am UTC

edfel wrote:- Mars: Axial tilt=25.19°. Check. Sideral rotation period=24.6h. Check. Terraformable=maybe. Check. Stars positions: can't see the difference with Earth. Check. Planets positions: there must be a night in 2000 years where two planets are in what we assume to be Venus and Jupiter positions. Check. No artificial satellite (or very few). Check. Sea, baobab, squirpies, etc. That's a loooot of work, which would take a looooong time. 10,000 years? Maybe. My favorite "non-earth" option

There's also the problem that the Sun would look much smaller from Mars, whereas in fact it looks quite a bit bigger than it should (in comparison with the starfield.) But perhaps the reason we moved to Mars is that the Sun's gone red giant.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Ximenez

Here Comes the Sun (sorry, Beatles)

Postby Ximenez » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:20 am UTC

Here comes the sun (molpy chirping)
Here comes the sun, and we say
Wait for it

Little Cuegan, it's been a long cold lonely waiting
Little Cuegan, it feels like yix since it's been here
Here comes the sun
Wait for it

Little Cuegan, the greys returning to the faces
Little Cuegan, lots of newpix since it's been here
Here comes the sun
Wait for it

Sun, sun, sun, here it comes
Chirp, chirp, chirp, here it comes
Chirp, chirp, chirp, here it comes

Little Cuegan, we feel that pix is slowly lightening
Little Cuegan, it seems like yix since it's been white
Here comes the sun
Wait for it

Here comes the sun
Wait for it
Wait for it

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:30 am UTC

(emphasis added)
Noting this, I've to question the whole 13000-proof-chain, for it shows at least some circumstancial counter-evidence: In a world thirteen thousand years into the future, I would expect a crazy lot of artificial satellites in the sky. We'd have to develop some theories for not having crowded the sky with satellitesNSA, therefore putting some stress on Occam's razor.

NSAThe currently emerging efforts for complete monitoring are not neccessarily taken into account.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:42 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:

(emphasis added)
Noting this, I've to question the whole 13000-proof-chain, for it shows at least some circumstancial counter-evidence: In a world thirteen thousand years into the future, I would expect a crazy lot of artificial satellites in the sky. We'd have to develop some theories for not having crowded the sky with satellitesNSA, therefore putting some stress on Occam's razor.

NSAThe currently emerging efforts for complete monitoring are not necessarily taken into account.

It is the extreme future. This could be only a few centuries after a global catastrophe that knocked them out of the sky, or there could be laws to prevent new satellites cluttering the view from the nature preserve Earth (maybe even clean up crews that remove old sats).
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:43 am UTC

Kudos to
Ximenez: Here Comes the Sun
rvloon: Tomorrow

ChronosDragon wrote:What's that you say? The helmet? Oh, it's just something I picked up on my adventures.
My first thought there was the Golden Helmet of Membrino. Alas, it was the wrong color, but perhaps... are you the Golden Dragon of Membrino?

Cute humolpy azule! I'm sure you'll have a lot more waiting and a lot less coma now!

and kenmelken - the wiki is turning amazing! Like unto the sea! Great work!

(I hear the price of exclamation points is going up... supply and demand, you know!)

Anybody notice the beesnake constellation in
?
It probably has a real name, but to me it's a giant beesnake. I wonder if an even gianter stellarraptor is coming up behind it. Of course, with the sun on the way, we'll probably never see it coming.

higgs-boson wrote:I would expect a crazy lot of artificial satellites in the sky. We'd have to develop some theories for not having crowded the sky with satellites, therefore putting some stress on Occam's razor.
They all crashed into each other because nobody thought to put up traffic lights?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:45 am UTC

azule wrote:Here's my Present present. My own little otter^_^. :)

Congratulations!!!

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Since this is my 1300th post, and I am allowed a naughty word:

CHIRP.

Okay, I feel much better now. :mrgreen:

Edit: Randamn it! WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING TO ME?!

Great now you've got me imagining 'chirp' actually is a naughty word :P

Oh and I guess since I'm the goat from the previous page, it's my fault. If I'd posted later, I'd be pope and you'd be goat :P

chirp Vulgar.
Usage note
For many people, the word chirp is extremely vulgar, considered improper and taboo in all of its senses.

"God's light, these villains will make the word as odious as the word 'occupy;' which was an excellent good word before it was ill sorted" — William Shakespeare, Henry VI, Part 2, II.iv

"O Chirpy my Chirpy! our trip is not yet done" Anyone feels like ottifying the rest?

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:I'm leaning toward 11,000. Just to be safe.

taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:"They" must be the nightchirpies we can't see. Image

jjjdavidson wrote:
Latent22 wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:P.S.: This reminds me that I always wanted to become a Knight Temporal. Who do I have to bribe ask for an appointment these dix?

I think you can only get appointed to be a Knight Temporal by your future self who already is a Knight Temporal. Thus proving your worthiness and skillful use of Time.

Well, c─p. I've been meaning to ask BlitzGirl if, as the first Knight Temporal, she'd consider knighting me, if she thinks a lowly clerk is worthy of such an honor. Now what?

Oh, missed this the first time round (distracted by mome-doings). The custom of self-knighting is actually outdated, a relic from the pix before my blitz ended. The practice was ceased because of worries it could be exploited. I'm pretty sure the current custom is that any Knight Temporal can knight others, though nobody has actually asked to be knighted on a newpage since the mid-500s. I was the one to knight mathrec and Angelastic, and I think that StratPlayer did a knighting for someone at one point, too.

So, if any of y'all want to be Knights Temporal, just let me or one of the other Knights know. :)

Oh! Could I be Knighted?

Certainly!

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, taixzo, BlitzGirl the Next and Fast, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of awefulsome prognostication, speedy yet accurate blitzing, and promotion of flameless OTTery. Arise, and continue Waiting for it!

Oh, all right, if you insist.

I humbly beseech thee, O Sir/Dame Blitzgirl, to Knight my somewhat unworthy self, by the power granted to you by some watery tart who threw a sword at you, yadda yadda

Please? :P

ETA: Shoot. Can a pope be knighted? Decree for this page: someone find out if a pope can be knighted. That's all.

Oh my, what have I done? It seems that I unintentionally sparked a new bloom of the Knights Temporal... I can live with that. :D
So, I humbly ask one of the newly knighted Knights, an Elder Knight, or the Great BlitzGirl herself, to become a Knight Temporal, thereby complying with the current customs.
I also present a fitting treat:
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:Très chouette !
I first read that as "Très chocolate !" I think I like that.
I like it, too!

ETA: Nice ottification, Ximenez!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:55 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Image

His arm is off!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:57 am UTC

Quick Image...

Valarya wrote:Anyway, isn't that my luck. I post many times in the past 10 NPs and the first time I get lots of replies is b/c people are angry that I followed a papal decree. Peachy. Here, have some chirping cupcakes. Wonder if you can guess what that word would have been without the 'chirp' part.
Spoiler:

Apologies for singling you out. Not angry at you at all! Your post just happens to be the one that I had most trouble reading while I felt it was directed at me. (I though you might be asking if fixing the mustard would be automatically detected.)
Thanks for the tasty chirpcakes!

Eutychus wrote:Oh and an Othercomix reminder...

In the “it's all related” department, I think we have the answer: not 10, not 15, but 11278. (Yes, ninja'd by BlitzGirl, I think...)

@azule: many congratulations on your new molpy! Image

@LoonieSpace: welcome! With regard to other planets, others have already answered this in more detail, but I'd say it's really unlikely, since the sky does match a known date and time, including the position of Venus and Jupiter; it'd be unlikely that this is matched from the surface of another planet.

Nice ottifications, @yappobiscuits, @rvloon (and happy 100th), @Ximenez!

Animation update:
Spoiler:
Note that it is indeed getting brighter, recent corner values are:
Spoiler:
newpix: top-left/top-right/bottom-right/bottom-left
np2445: 6/6/17/18
np2446: 6/6/17/18
np2447: 6/6/16/18
np2448: 6/6/17/18
np2449: 6/6/17/18
np2450: 6/6/16/18
np2451: 6/6/17/18
np2452: 6/6/17/18
np2453: 6/6/17/18
np2454: 6/6/17/18
np2455: 6/6/17/18
np2456: 6/6/17/18
np2457: 6/6/17/18
np2458: 6/6/17/18
np2459: 6/6/16/18
np2460: 6/6/16/18
np2461: 6/6/16/18
np2462: 6/6/16/18
np2463: 6/6/16/18
np2464: 6/6/16/18
np2465: 6/6/16/18
np2466: 0/2/16/18
np2467: 6/6/16/18
np2468: 6/6/16/18
np2469: 6/6/16/18
np2470: 6/6/16/18
np2471: 6/6/17/18
np2472: 6/6/17/18
np2473: 6/6/17/18
np2474: 6/6/18/18
np2475: 7/7/18/20
np2476: 8/9/24/24
np2477: 10/13/32/29
np2478: 16/18/45/41
(Somehow, y'all detected the brightening at least one newpix before the the obove list shows it...)
Mustard not fixed yet. (The GLR is [heresy]slacking[/heresy]...) ChronosDragon, nice catch on your single-pixel mustard, although I'm not sure it counts. It could be just a gradient/anti-aliasing artifact. Or a (dark) bird in front of the (slightly lighter) sky.
I considered removing the mustard frame from the animation (looks awful), but I'm leaving it in, in the hope that one of the GLR's minions finally notices and informs Him.

(As always, not such a quick Image after all... Took me more than an hour, which I should have been spending on Outside responsibilities.)
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:05 am UTC

Lack of inspiratiONG

But since it's not up yet and I have a lot of waiting for other things right now...
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:10 am UTC

ucim wrote:You have run into taixzo's question of whether or not to SchitzoBlitz. As you probably know by now, taixzo decided that the One True Way was to actually forsake the present rather than risk distraction from the Most Holy Quest. taixzo Blitzed at the unheard of speed of over one hundred NewPages per Heretical Day. This was once thought to be impossible, but if one is monastic about it, Blitzing the way Heretical monastic clerics pray, it can be done. Ironically, when taixzo's arrived into the present, there had already been another such BlitzRocket: CasCat had done the same thing a few days prior, unannounced!

Well, such speeds are truly paradoxical. I mean, with all the song/video/online game links posted per 100 NP, there is no way one can listen to/watch/play AND read 100 NP - spoilers and all - per vigintiquadrinewpix! Monastery or not!
Ah, I think I will shun schizoblitzing. If I were to do it, I'd probably soon be blitzing at two past points in Time at the same time, which would bring me to the same dilemma at recursive level 1. And so on. No, thank you. That way madness lies. And not of the RECKONING type.

@ Vytron: Thanks for the sigcouragement, mate!
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:28 am UTC

Blindpost!

ChronosDragon wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:This, by the way, should be one of the rare occasions where we have a certain scientifc clue about the in-comic flow of time.

If edo is right and there are currently 6.36 minutes between frames, and if that has been consistent across all of Time, then 10 days 15 hours and 20 minutes (approximately) have passed since the beginning of Time.

However, the latter is almost certainly not the case. There is clearly inside-time compression going on.

Perhaps there is - but maybe it's safe to take about 5 minutes as the average? What if we assume the sandcastle episode was about 2 or 3 days (taking periods of absence as catnaps or something like that), their walk along the sea (as mentioned) as 4 days, and then another 2 or 3 days since then? That would add up to 8 to 10 days. The passage of time certainly is confusing given this is the first actual night we've witnessed, and as mscha pointed out it would simply be nonsensical for the rest of the comic to have only taken a day.

Your timeline certainly makes sense, but then if every frame covers about six minutes it's hard to explain how this is the first night that we have seen. Or how, for example, it could take several minutes for the missile from a trebuchet to fly 30 feet.

Of course if we take five minutes as an average and then assume that some frames are really short (trebuchet) and others are really long (skipping entire nights), we lose the basis for using the stars in this scene as our yardstick. What makes this scene privileged? Perhaps it is way off the normal intended average.

What I have come to think is that time is non-existent, or works completely differently inside Time. The motion of the stars suggests ~6 minutes per frame at the moment, but that means that is takes them several minutes to hold a two sentence conversation, since the motion of the stars never changes.

I think the only thing we can say, is that we can say nothing about t(T?)ime.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:29 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:

His arm is off!

It was a hard (and tasty) battle!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

paha arkkitehti

Postby paha arkkitehti » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:40 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:

His arm is off!

Just a flesh wound.

MattTheTubaGuy

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:41 am UTC

It is possible to view the night sky from Mars in Stellarium, the only problem is the time is still Earth hours/days/year etc, which makes searching year to year REALLY hard!
The positions of Venus and Jupiter are almost too perfect for it to be anything else though.
The final confirmation will be the nearly full moon coming into the bottom left of the sky in the next couple of frames.
EDIT: actually after checking again, it seems that the moon WON'T end up in the frame. :x
Last edited by MattTheTubaGuy on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:43 am UTC

It's a little quieter now, taixzo, if you want to try to Image

Brief one myself:
@azule - 7 and congratulations!
@yappobuscuits, @rvloon, @Ximenez - thank you for the OTTifiliking, I am still singing along!
Welcome, LoonieSpace!

And a salute to all our Knew Knights: Image

Prediction - they will be underway again before the outside dayH is over (UTC, since I have to pick a time zone).
What If - I have always wondered what it would be like if instead of having sharp time zone boundaries, we had watches that corrected for longitude and had a continuous gradient of time. It always seemed impractical because how would you communicate about it, except that now with smart phones it seems like we could just have filters that translate back and forth from UTC using the GPS.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:43 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:
His arm is off!

Tis but a scratch.

Edit: Ninja'd. Almost.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:46 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:Blindpost!

I think the only thing we can say, is that we can say nothing about t(T?)ime.

True. And we have actually been doing so for almost 1000 pages.

Ronald

@NoMouse: http://xkcd.com/16/
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:59 am UTC

Kay, folks. I've finally finished the wiki article for the attack! Last night I posted it with the summary written, but it is now greatly expanded with discussion on cat identification, Megan's injuries, the question of clothing, the mustard appearances and missing bag, a collection of common nicknames for the raptorcat tracing their respective first uses, and a brief discussion on the 10 frame beesnake appearance harkening back to the earlier fluttermolpy discussion. Several of those sections also include illustrations, both harvested from the OTT and created new for the article. It's a pretty thorough entry, but I still feel like I missed a lot. If you feel I've left something out of the discussion section, please add it! Also, I haven't gone back to proofread super well and right now I REALLY need to coma, so if some of you could take a look and fix any grammar/spelling mistakes I might have missed, that would be great. :)

Meanwhile, I've also been slowly reading some of the newpixes I've missed the last day and a half and am getting ketched up in the thread! I had completely missed the meteor excitement. Cool stuff!!!
Last edited by kenmelken on Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:10 am UTC

WAITONGLY...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:11 am UTC

I don't think this has been posted yet... It turns out that stars can actually chirp.

ETA brightness update:
Spoiler:
np2479: 23/29/64/57
np2480: 32/39/85/75
Definitely speeding up. It's funny, though, that it's lighter at the (western) horizon than higher up in the sky. Sure, there's more atmospheric refraction (of twilight and/or light of the full moon which might be slightly to our left), but does that really make such a difference? Or is there some piece of civilization left, a city with bright lights in the distance, that causes atmospheric pollution?
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:04 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:20 am UTC

Good mornix all. Molpy up!

I see the that the sun should be rising. Wonderful OTTification Ximenez! Thanks Ucim, for the kind words. And congratulations Azule.

Chirping neutron stars!? :shock: Why would the GLR, Creator of Time, choose to make such chirping known to us? Is it significant, or just a bit of fun?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:26 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Good mornix all. Molpy up!

I see the that the sun should be rising. Wonderful OTTification Ximenez! Thanks Ucim, for the kind words. And congratulations Azule.

Chirping neutron stars!? :shock: Why would the GLR, Creator of Time, choose to make such chirping known to us? Is it significant, or just a bit of fun?

That would mean Quegan have evolved from mere human to have a gravitational wave detector far better than the detectors we build now. 108 newpix is a short time for such evolutions, so perhaps the ancestor of our prophets are extremely good bio engineers!

he/him/his

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:31 am UTC

paha arkkitehti wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:

His arm is off!

Just a fleshcake wound.

FTFY.

Just finished my after weekend blitz, seems I've missed quite a bit of excitement!

edfel

Postby edfel » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:44 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
SBN wrote:Your mistake was in using sand.

Yes, semencoffeecancerbaconbabies is well known to be a much better building material.

I don't know if it's the right time to start wondering about this again (it's been done extensively in the first hundred NPs, with the conclusions we know...) but just imagine: GLR reads about <material>. He thinks "oh, that would make a splendid material to replace sand in sandcastles", then he reads that <material> will be highly available on/in/at <location> in 11,000 years, there might even be whole beaches made of it. "Oh! here's an idea for 1190...".
I don't think <material> could be semen, coffee, cancer, bacon, babies or even hybrid combinations of the previous... Some futurist kind of clay maybe?
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

cellocgw

Re: #1300

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Since this is my 1300th post, and I am allowed a naughty word:

CHIRP.

Okay, I feel much better now. :mrgreen:

Edit: Randamn it! WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING TO ME?!

Because, in The Future, Blitzgirls is Pretty Cool.

Speaking of ch%#ps, a rose-breasted grosbeak is visiting my feeder this AM. Beautiful bird.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

WOnder93

Postby WOnder93 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:51 am UTC

Hello everyone!

I have finally registered to let you know that I, following the trail of BlitzGirl - the first blitzer, am also reading this thread from the beginning, hoping to catch up to the present one day. I have been blitzing in silence until now, but I thought I should finally de-lurk and post my progress...

Current progress: 519/982 pages

I have been a follower of the XKCD comics for a long time but at the time Great Randall unveiled the One True Comic the Outside must have clouded my mind causing me to overlook the fact that it changes over time. I was only taken out of the darkness by a post on Slashdot somewhere around newpix 1100. That day newpix I discovered the awesomeness of the OTC and OTT and I was amazed by the friendly community here. I didn't think I could read the whole thread but after reading about BlitzGirl in the wiki I decided to give it a try. I will forever regret my absent-mindedness at the time I first saw the One True Comic... but I must not despair! I shall continue to read the One True Thread with patience and eventually join y'all waiting in the Present!

Onward!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:56 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:

His arm is off!

Not only that, what's with the calipers stuck to his helmet? Are they for... taking measure of one's opponent? :P
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

Dawn is dawnONG:

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

... and Cuegan's faces are visible again!

ETA brightness update:
Spoiler:
np2479: 23/29/64/57
np2480: 32/39/85/75
np2481: 39/47/104/92
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:I want to join the Neil_Boekend (May He Rest In Peace) Perpetual End-of-Time Predictor Fan Club.
And I think the club's logo should be redesigned and promotional materials be reprinted every time there's a new prediction.

Neil_Boekend wrote:Yeay, early morning!
Prediction:
They will wake up in 3 newpix. Then they'll spend a fewpix to eat and will walk on. They will continue to the top, but before they reach it they'll encounter a steep cliff down, one that they have to walk around. After a fewpix of trying to walk around it Queball will try to cross it. He'll slip and fall to his death. Megan will be stuck and die of gangrene in her wounds. Thus ends Time.

Quick! Alert the NBPETP Fan Club, it's time for another meeting!

azule wrote:Here's my Present present. My own little otter^_^. :)

Warning, newborn ahead.
Spoiler:
OTTer.jpg

^_^ Actually, I'm calling him "Squeaks" for now. hehe.

Welcome, Squeaks! Quite the adventure you've stumbled into!
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Anybody notice the beesnake constellation in
?
It probably has a real name, but to me it's a giant beesnake. I wonder if an even gianter stellarraptor is coming up behind it. Of course, with the sun on the way, we'll probably never see it coming.

I believe pretty much everything to the right of Cuegan is Pegasus, and everything to their left is Andromeda.

Back from coma, and say -- I can see, by the dawn's early light, what so roundly was veiled at the twilight's last gleaming, whose round heads and stick bods, through the perlious night, in the comic we watched, took turns valiantly dreaming. And the meteor's glare, molpies CHIRPing in air, gave proof through the night that we still don't know where. Oh, say -- does that paw-mangled banner still wrap 'round the leg of the girl who's expanding the map?
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Kay, folks. I've finally finished the wiki article for the attack!
Spoiler:
Last night I posted it with the summary written, but it is now greatly expanded with discussion on cat identification, Megan's injuries, the question of clothing, the mustard appearances and missing bag, a collection of common nicknames for the raptorcat tracing their respective first uses, and a brief discussion on the 10 frame beesnake appearance harkening back to the earlier fluttermolpy discussion. Several of those sections also include illustrations, both harvested from the OTT and created new for the article. It's a pretty thorough entry, but I still feel like I missed a lot. If you feel I've left something out of the discussion section, please add it! Also, I haven't gone back to proofread super well and right now I REALLY need to coma, so if some of you could take a look and fix any grammar/spelling mistakes I might have missed, that would be great. :)

Meanwhile, I've also been slowly reading some of the newpixes I've missed the last day and a half and am getting ketched up in the thread! I had completely missed the meteor excitement. Cool stuff!!!

Great article, kenmelken!
Wait on.

Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
ucim wrote:Anybody notice the beesnake constellation in
Spoiler:

?

I believe pretty much everything to the right of Cuegan is Pegasus, and everything to their left is Andromeda.

Back from coma, and say -- I can see, by the dawn's early light, what so roundly was veiled at the twilight's last gleaming, whose round heads and stick bods, through the perlious night, in the comic we watched, took turns valiantly dreaming. And the meteor's glare, molpies CHIRPing in air, gave proof through the night that we still don't know where. Oh, say -- does that paw-mangled banner still wrap 'round the leg of the girl who's expanding the map?

:mrgreen: Well done.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
Spoiler:
LoonieSpace wrote:Hi xkcd Timers. Been following most of the discussion here and especially like the astronomical / astrophysical analysis. But curious if anyone ever ruled out the possibility that cuegan are on a distant-future terraformed Mars or Venus. Curious if the axis of rotation and other observations could fit.
Hi! Good question.
- Mercury: if it was ever possible to terraform Mercury, the tilt would be too small (1/2 degree)
- Venus: rotates backwards, so no (unless it has been terraformed and accelerated with the same rotation axis as Earth).
- Moon: a moon night lasts 14 days (let's assume that we have a few hours per newpix). They wouldn't see the earth from the hidden face of the moon. They also need to find a way to make an atmosphere stay on it. I like this option :)
- Mars: Axial tilt=25.19°. Check. Sideral rotation period=24.6h. Check. Terraformable=maybe. Check. Stars positions: can't see the difference with Earth. Check. Planets positions: there must be a night in 2000 years where two planets are in what we assume to be Venus and Jupiter positions. Check. No artificial satellite (or very few). Check. Sea, baobab, squirpies, etc. That's a loooot of work, which would take a looooong time. 10,000 years? Maybe. My favorite "non-earth" option
- An asteroid: hmmm, I know nothing of asteroids, except that it'd be far too hard to make an atmosphere stay on most of them
- Any other moon in the solar system (Europa, Titan,...) Er... not an expert either. Titan has a nice climate when you like ice creams...
- Any other planet out of the Solar system (like the ones discovered near alpha centuri)? Hmm, I'll need to check how much the star positions change... but I feel it should have been noticed (and, alpha century is a several-stars system, we already talked about it, I'm not sure if it's possible or not).

If Titan wasn't so cold, I'd definitely go there, just to fly with artificial wings. Man, that would be fun.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Noting this, I've to question the whole 13000-proof-chain, for it shows at least some circumstancial counter-evidence: In a world thirteen thousand years into the future, I would expect a crazy lot of artificial satellites in the sky. We'd have to develop some theories for not having crowded the sky with satellitesNSA, therefore putting some stress on Occam's razor.

Actually, the theory is well known, and Occam's razor is unstressed. All the satellites you can see moving in the sky are in low earth orbit (the ones way up in geosynchronous orbit are too dim and slow to see with the naked eye). And in low earth orbit, you aren't really in a vacuum, it's just an extremely thin atmosphere. There is still drag going on. This is why they keep having to boost the ISS into higher orbits periodically, atmospheric drag slows it down and brings it low. So over 10,000 years, without periodic maintenance or replacement, we can expect all the satellites currently in low earth orbit to have fallen to earth.

Also from the astronomical files: the periodic orbital cycles (Milankovitch cycles) that cause ice ages actually put us on a cooling trend about 6,000 years ago, and by 13,000 years from now we should be well into an ice age. However, man has created a massive detour on the ice age cycle, our meddling with atmospheric chemistry is about 1,000 times stronger than the orbital forcings, and we'll probably miss the next ice age entirely. This is probably why tropical plants are showing up in what we currently think of as non-tropical latitudes. This also leads to speculation that the sea we were looking at is neither the Atlantic or Pacific, but the restoration of the vast inland sea that went from the Gulf coast up to around St Louis. Assuming several hundred feet of sea level rise due to the loss of Antarctic and Greenland ice cover, as well as a bit caused by thermal expansion of cold ocean water, the coastline of north america will have little resemblance to the landmass we now think of as home.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”