1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Khrushy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Khrushy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:34 am UTC

WAKE UP CUEBALL!

I'm too busy to actively participate in (troll) the OTT, and your endless sleeping is making for boring OTC check breaks.

Edit: Oh Lord Randall, pagepope.

I decree everyone should guess what Cueball is dreaming about during his extended sleep.

I suspect a nightmare about molpyraptors.
Last edited by Khrushy on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:38 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

Eternal Density

He slept deeply.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:36 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
Wildhound wrote:Blindpost from the previous newpage to let you guys know that if you happen to be equipped with an Android device you can now download the unofficial OTC live wallpaper for the low, low price of molpycake.

BLINDPOSTING to say this is awesome! I will be installing it on my Galaxy SIII tomorrow mip.

Coma, ya'll. Molpy down. Image
And I'll be putting it on my SIII tonix!

And assuming there's Time, when I upgrade to a SIV (without a cracked screen :P), on that too :D

Also, Khrushy just gave me a filk idea...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

New OtherComic Alert

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:37 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/1233/
Time is really consuming Randall's time.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:41 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:Blindpost from the previous newpage to let you guys know that if you happen to be equipped with an Android device you can now download the unofficial OTC live wallpaper for the low, low price of molpycake.
cake Seriously I want cake.

This is awesome! Thankyou Wildhound!

Not at all worried about my device drain, but is this likely to make any significant bump on the xkcd server traffic, or my phone data plan? I assume it only fetches each image once, then checks against msca's excel for if there's an update?

Edit: F@#k. That awkward moment when you realise you ripped the live wallpaper chooser out of your AOKP build because you typically don't use Live wallpapers, and can't use ADB at work to push it back onto the phone.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

pelrigg

Re: The past is dead and gone

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:49 am UTC

Just a quick comment about this:

*Kat* wrote:
Tis our job to question EVERYTHING. Including WTF is Cueball STILL SLEEPING? He's slept way longer than Megan did. Its gotta be close to mid-morning where they are.

I've been keeping a running total of the newpix lately. (Inspired by what mscha did earlier.) And I see this:
Frame 2357 to 2369 [the sunset on the empty plateau] {12 frames}
Frame 2370 to 2380 [enter Megan & Cueball till Megan gets in her "dig" about needing help if attacked] {10 frames}
Frame 2381 to 2454 [Megan lays down till Cueball wakes her with his "Hey"] {73 frames}
Frame 2455 to 2463 [changing of the guard talk] {8 frames}
Frame 2464 to 2470 [Cueball lays down, Megan hears the chirps] {6 frames}
Frame 2471 to 2473 [Megan asks Cueball about "chirping"] {3 frames}
Frame 2474 to 2523 {current frame} [Megan lets Cueball sleep] {49 frames}
{{Total frames so far on the plateau: 166}}

I'm going to take a stab and say Megan realized that Cueball let her sleep most of the night and is returning the favor. :wink:

To all else: Bravo's on all the fun and creative stuff. I feel I have nothing to add to the tribe and have quietly sitting in my little corner in awe.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

*Kat*

Postby *Kat* » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:58 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Just a quick comment about this:

*Kat* wrote:
Tis our job to question EVERYTHING. Including WTF is Cueball STILL SLEEPING? He's slept way longer than Megan did. Its gotta be close to mid-morning where they are.

I've been keeping a running total of the newpix lately. (Inspired by what mscha did earlier.) And I see this:
Frame 2370 to 2380 [enter Megan & Cueball till Megan gets in her "dig" about needing help if attacked] {10 frames}
Frame 2381 to 2454 [Megan lays down till Cueball wakes her with his "Hey"] {73 frames}

I'm going to take a stab and say Megan realized that Cueball let her sleep most of the night and is returning the favor. :wink:

To all else: Bravo's on all the fun and creative stuff. I feel I have nothing to add to the tribe and have quietly sitting in my little corner in awe.

Okay, I guess it just seems like longer because there are no more stars to watch.

So if Cueball sleeps as long as Megan did, then we have at least another day of watching her sit on the mountainside.

Let the congregation say, "awww man!"

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:03 am UTC

*Yawn*, it's been a busy OTT dip for me! I've made pic manips, a drawing, a behind-the-scenes video and a song remix and now I'm a very tired ottermolpy. Cueball, you'd better be de-coma'd by the time I am. But until then...
Spoiler:
BlitzgirlMolpyDown.png
BlitzgirlMolpyDown.png (6.9 KiB) Viewed 14963 times
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:06 am UTC

*Kat* wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
Just a quick comment about this:

*Kat* wrote:

Okay, I guess it just seems like longer because there are no more stars to watch.

So if Cueball sleeps as long as Megan did, then we have at least another day of watching her sit on the mountainside.

Let the congregation say, "awww man!"

I do hope he wakes up soon, too. Maybe the sun in his eyes or maybe Meagan kicks him, who knows. And maybe he'll sleep just long enough to fill in his "rope" dream.....

Edit:
re the redundant spoilers: I've noticed sometimes I see the "in-line" image and sometimes I get the word "image" inside the box with the "X". So I'm always opening the "redundant" spoiler to see what I'm missing. Besides I "like" the "redundant kitty" pics. :P
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:06 am UTC

Good coma, yappo!

I suspect that Cueball will not sleep as long as Megan did.
Cuegan sleeping for 16 newpix of every Time-dip (8 Megan, 8 Cueball), is probably not a good policy if they want to get Megan help soonest.

Cueball is dreaming about dozens of Timewaiters urging him to decoma right about now.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Niclep dreamed of people reading about his adventures.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:09 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Good coma, yappo!

I suspect that Cueball will not sleep as long as Megan did.
Cuegan sleeping for 16 newpix of every Time-dip (8 Megan, 8 Cueball), is probably not a good policy if they want to get Megan help soonest.

Cueball is dreaming about dozens of Timewaiters urging him to decoma right about now.
Wait, if he wakes up, we vanish!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:10 am UTC

BECOMONGNESS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:18 am UTC

Is Megan nodding off?
Or is she checking her leg?

Cueball, WAKE UP! You're needed.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:20 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Whizbang wrote:RE: Left vs. Right

Tell me which is the left leg

Spoiler:

Hint:
Spoiler:

If you can't tell with a full figured woman, how can you hope to do it with a stick figure?

Totally NOT FAIR!!!!! You know none of us males is looking below the bellybutton!

Would you rather have had a fat man turning?
Spoiler:
Sorry, I tried to find one, but "turning fat man filetype=gif" just gave to much horrible images, and none that suited.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:25 am UTC

As new page 1000 approaches, I'd like to make a suggestion. Since not everyone will be able to post on that page, I'd like to suggest that those of us who do, in addition to whatever else you post, you some name others who have posted in the thread.

It seems to me that we should name the less frequent posters because the more frequent posters will probably get on the page by themselves. As examples, mscha and BlitzGirl deserve mention for all the work they have done for and their frequent contributions to the thread, but not only are they the most likely to post on the page, one or the other may end up pope.

I think each of us should post not only names of people who posted something you liked, but also people who have a name you found interesting and even some just at random to help get as many different names on page 1000 as possible.

We might want to spoiler longer lists to avoid irritating people, and I don't think anyone should just copy the list from Kieryn's pages, unless it's the goat post, perhaps.

Moderation of first posts will change things afterward, of course, but in the tolerant spirit of the thread I'd like to suggest we agree that posts that were on page 1000 when originally posted will count, as well as posts that end up on page 1000 after moderation moves things around.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to disagree, amend or suggest alternatives, this wouldn't be the OTT otherwise.

Edit 1-2. For pope: Cueball is dreaming of large women. Prediction: he will not tell Megan his dream when he wakes up
Exit 3: clarify in addition to whatever else posted.
Last edited by ttscp on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:29 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

spamjam

Re: On the babycoffeesea…

Postby spamjam » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:30 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Also, this post concludes the Time Oddity presentation. Gotta coma and then work on Cat People (Molpy People?).

Spoiler:
Time Oddity ― Based on David Bowie's Space Oddity.
[snipped!]
(Ain't I a nice guy? Posted the whole thing for y'll.)

Bravo! I enjoyed following along. I did notice one of your posts in the midst of this whose subject didn't have a line and I was worried, but it was only that one anomaly. Maybe you should delete that post :wink:

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:30 am UTC

ttscp wrote:As new page 1000 approaches, ...

It is a common newpage, what's all the fuzz.
(Let's talk about NP 1024...)
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:39 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:

True, but:
There has been some speculation that it might be the end of Time.
All new page numbers are interesting.
Substitute 1024 if you prefer.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:48 am UTC

Thanks for the app! Shout if I can give a hand with programming.

Suggestion: replicate the top row of pixels all the way to the top of the view, and the bottom row all the way down. i.e. extend teh sky and ground to fill the entire view. Just a thought, and there will likely be times when it works badly...
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:00 am UTC

Just stopping by to grab an ONG...
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:01 am UTC

ttscp wrote:As new page 1000 approaches, I'd like to make a suggestion. Since not everyone will be able to post on that page, I'd like to suggest that those of us who do, name others who have posted in the thread.

It seems to me that we should name the less frequent posters because the more frequent posters will probably get on the page by themselves. As examples, mscha and BlitzGirl deserve mention for all the work they have done for and their frequent contributions to the thread, but not only are they the most likely to post on the page, one or the other may end up pope.

I think each of us should post not only names of people who posted something you liked, but also people who have a name you found interesting and even some just at random to help get as many different names on page 1000 as possible.

We might want to spoiler longer lists to avoid irritating people, and I don't think anyone should just copy the list from Kieryn's pages, unless it's the goat post, perhaps.

Moderation of first posts will change things afterward, of course, but in the tolerant spirit of the thread I'd like to suggest we agree that posts that were on page 1000 when originally posted will count, as well as posts that end up on page 1000 after moderation moves things around.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to disagree, amend or suggest alternatives, this wouldn't be the OTT otherwise.

Edit. For pope: Cueball is dreaming of large women. Prediction: he will not tell Megan his dream when he wakes up

I nominate these guys and gals: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits (though it seems the list hasn't been updated for a while).

[edit]
Cueball dreams of Megan becoming a zombie, in a few newpix he'll wake up screaming.

taemyr

Postby taemyr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:07 am UTC

Khrushy wrote:I suspect a nightmare about molpyraptors.

He is dreaming about building sandcastles on the beach with water rising. Prediction: the loopists where right.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:09 am UTC

mikro2nd wrote:

Spoiler:

Thanks for the app! Shout if I can give a hand with programming.

Suggestion: replicate the top row of pixels all the way to the top of the view, and the bottom row all the way down. i.e. extend teh sky and ground to fill the entire view. Just a thought, and there will likely be times when it works badly...

Heretical mustard!

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:19 am UTC

Flotter wrote:

I nominate these guys and gals: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Credits (though it seems the list hasn't been updated for a while).

Heroes are either ugly or dead. We don't have to plan to celebrate ourselves, do we?

I'd suggest to treat NP 1000 as any NP. Who want's to post, posts. If someone feels like he/she has to address words of gratefulness, hope, desparation, love, sarcasm, math, molpies, stars, NSA, unspecific happiness, specific happiness, significant others ... May he/she please do so! If not, not. If someone wants to scrawl "I WAS HERE!!!!1!!11" on the wall number #1000, may he feel free to do so, although moderating personnel are, still, suspected to have limited patiencecitation not needed.

Having said this, I've said what I have to say.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
This did not make sense, either.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:53 am UTC

I present to you the wiki article for the ninth journey period. With this article completed, all periods of the mountain era are now fully summarized and discussed on the wiki. :)
*Satisfied sigh*
As usual, I didn't have time for a second proof-edit, so feel free to fix the inevitable mistakes. Thanks!
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:00 am UTC

PokONG

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:13 am UTC

Quick Image post. (And I mean it this time! I really should be doing Outside stuff...)

First things first, the ch*rpin' m*stard is finally fixed! (See my list.)
It's the only frame since the previous mustard fix (frames 2392-2394) that has been modified. (So the alleged mustard stars during some of the later chirps haven't been changed.)
A dem*starded version of my “dusk to dawn” animation:

Happy 400th, Latent22!

Nice work, Ebonite/Marsh'n/yappobiscuits on the collaborative ottification⁴ rendition⁷!
AluisioASG, thanks for posting your completed subject ottification⁴. (I guess I'm conditioned to ignore subjects, so I miss these things.)

rvloon wrote:In the early days of Time, someone looked at the timestamps of the drawings, to see when things got created. Maybe there is some clue as to the busy-ness of GLR?

Timestamps are useless, these days. They're carefully twerked so that they leak no information, it appears: all frames have a timestamp of 1 May, both from before and after that dateH.

I can't believe it, decoma'd and keught up, and still nothing happening in the OTC. Image
I guess it does seem longer than when Megan was sleeping. Manly because of the lack of stars (really, nothing is happening, not even Molpies (confirmed)), but also because the longer it goes on, the longer it seems.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Blindpost with a couple of responses. :) When I de-comad this morning I thought my wallpaper had broken already because Megan was still sitting in the same place. Move Randalldammit!

@trolleypup : Droid4
@Latent22 : homescreens
@mscha and Latent22 : borders

Spoiler:
trolleypup wrote:
Wildhound wrote:D'oh! I actually thought of this just after I published. Phones never re-orient the homescreen, but those blasted tablets do. It's a simple fix which I shall do tomorrow, for now I must coma.

Some phones do. My Droid4 does when the keyboard is open.

I should have said "Most phones" ;) That the worst part about Android, there are always exceptions!

Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:One quick idea would be to get it to change to the last few frames as you slide between your say 5 homescreens. like if your on the right most homescreen it shows the current newpix and the ones left of this show consecutive previous newpix. This is probably not practical but still its a cool idea.

Good idea! I probably won't do this right now for a couple of reasons. The launcher on some devices doesn't call the onOffsetsChanged(...) method, which is required for this functionality (most HTCs for example), and it requires storing quite a few bitmaps in memory to do it smoothly. That means a lot of testing to make sure I don't cause out of memory errors on some devices. That said, once I have some of the more pressing things sorted, I will have a think about a good way to do it.

Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:
mscha wrote:One additional idea: maybe it'd be better if the area above the newpix is white instead of black, i.e. an extension of the sky? (Black below the newpix already makes sense, as an extension of the ground.)
Won't be perfect if we ever get a starry night again (or if your app is updated to show historical images), but most of the time it will work out better, I think...

Great Idea but you forgot about the border at the top. for this to work you would have to manually strip the border from at least the top of the frame. It's always the same border pixels in all newpix.

Edit: also the perfect app which will probably be too hard to do would sample the top line of the commic (just below the border) and average the pixel brightness and paint the area above with that colour. This would then handle all frames of time fine.

I like this idea a lot and it should be quite doable, including Latent22's sampling idea. I will definitely try to implement this as soon as I have a little time (my sister's wedding is this weekend!)
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:32 am UTC

When Cueball finally wakes up...

"Hey, aren't you dead already?"
Or maybe:
"Why did you let me sleep for so long?"
Or:
"That is how the first part of sleeping forever looks like."
Or:
"Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy..."

Other predictions?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:43 am UTC

Ximenez wrote:When Cueball finally wakes up...

"Hey, aren't you dead already?"
Or maybe:
"Why did you let me sleep for so long?"
Or:
"That is how the first part of sleeping forever looks like."
Or:
"Molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy..."

Other predictions?

My prediction is that Queball doesn't wake up. They both die because it wasn't a sunrise but a nearby supernova. Thus ends Time.
Yes I know a nearby supernova would start with a flash and not a relatively slow sunrise-like increase in illumination.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:51 am UTC

Time for...

Spoiler:
whack.png
Go Minim go!

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:00 am UTC

PausONG

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:14 am UTC

Ketchedup!

Zorin_75 wrote:Time for...
Spoiler:

whack.png

Awesome!!

Khrushy wrote:

This is awesome! Thankyou Wildhound!

Not at all worried about my device drain, but is this likely to make any significant bump on the xkcd server traffic, or my phone data plan? I assume it only fetches each image once, then checks against msca's excel for if there's an update?

Edit: F@#k. That awkward moment when you realise you ripped the live wallpaper chooser out of your AOKP build because you typically don't use Live wallpapers, and can't use ADB at work to push it back onto the phone.

Hey Krushy, the Time PNGs are really quite small (< 4 kB), so it certainly won't hurt the xkcd servers. Right now the wallpaper updates on start-up and then 5 times each hour regardless of whether there has actually been a new frame, but only if your device is awake.

So, if you leave your device awake that's about 20 kB per hour which shouldn't hurt your data (oh, plus whatever size mscha's CSV is). That will be further reduced when I do the first update, since it will only grab the PNG again when it has actually changed.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:40 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:Hey Krushy, the Time PNGs are really quite small (< 4 kB), so it certainly won't hurt the xkcd servers.

Also, the images themselves are hosted on a CDN, so it's not the XKCD servers that are being accessed. (The redirects take place on XKCD servers, which are apparently pretty stressed once in a while, but those are bypassed completely here.)

Wildhound wrote:Right now the wallpaper updates on start-up and then 5 times each hour regardless of whether there has actually been a new frame, but only if your device is awake.

So, if you leave your device awake that's about 20 kB per hour which shouldn't hurt your data (oh, plus whatever size mscha's CSV is). That will be further reduced when I do the first update, since it will only grab the PNG again when it has actually changed.

The CSV is actually pretty big: 637KB and growing, so that's a potential data hog.
It's a static file, though, which is only updated when a newpix arrives, so it should be possible to prevent unnecessary loading if you pass the X-If-Modified-Since header. (Don't know much about Android development, but if you store a copy of the file locally, and ask Android to ‘mirror’ it (if it can do such a thing), then it should be efficient.) According to my web server log, it is now indeed downloaded in its entirety every time (so multiple times per hour per client), which is a bit inefficient.

I could look at creating another CSV with just the latest newpix (or the latest few newpix), that'd be much smaller, of course.
That wouldn't be handy for potential future functionality (e.g. re-playing Time from the start), but even then, it might make sense to download the small version unless you need the big one.

Another feature request: an option “Only update on WiFi”.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:50 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Flotter wrote:

Heroes are either ugly or dead. We don't have to plan to celebrate ourselves, do we?

I'd suggest to treat NP 1000 as any NP. Who want's to post, posts. If someone feels like he/she has to address words of gratefulness, hope, desparation, love, sarcasm, math, molpies, stars, NSA, unspecific happiness, specific happiness, significant others ... May he/she please do so! If not, not. If someone wants to scrawl "I WAS HERE!!!!1!!11" on the wall number #1000, may he feel free to do so, although moderating personnel are, still, suspected to have limited patiencecitation not needed.

Having said this, I've said what I have to say.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
This did not make sense, either.

"I see the problem" the engineer about to be guillotined said...
I meant but did not say, in addition to whatever else in the post, include some names.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:55 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Wildhound wrote:Hey Krushy, the Time PNGs are really quite small (< 4 kB), so it certainly won't hurt the xkcd servers.

Also, the images themselves are hosted on a CDN, so it's not the XKCD servers that are being accessed. (The redirects take place on XKCD servers, which are apparently pretty stressed once in a while, but those are bypassed completely here.)

Wildhound wrote:Right now the wallpaper updates on start-up and then 5 times each hour regardless of whether there has actually been a new frame, but only if your device is awake.

The CSV is actually pretty big: 637KB and growing, so that's a potential data hog.
It's a static file, though, which is only updated when a newpix arrives, so it should be possible to prevent unnecessary loading if you pass the X-If-Modified-Since header. (Don't know much about Android development, but if you store a copy of the file locally, and ask Android to ‘mirror’ it (if it can do such a thing), then it should be efficient.) According to my web server log, it is now indeed downloaded in its entirety every time (so multiple times per hour per client), which is a bit inefficient.

I could look at creating another CSV with just the latest newpix (or the latest few newpix), that'd be much smaller, of course.
That wouldn't be handy for potential future functionality (e.g. re-playing Time from the start), but even then, it might make sense to download the small version unless you need the big one.

Another feature request: an option “Only update on WiFi”.

Hmmm... I hadn't considered that the CSV would be so large. That certainly is a problem. Even checking if it has been modified before loading could lead to it being downloaded once per hour, which is still quite a lot of data for those with limited plans.

One solution, if you were prepared to do it, is to have a CSV with just the latest newpix for the standard "show the current frame" mode. Then when I add the option to select a frame / replay time, the full CSV could be downloaded only when the last frame in the current version is reached. That would probably be optimal.

A WiFi only option is also a good idea.

This is somewhat new territory for me since I very rarely code anything that relies on network assets. It will be a good learning experience though, since such things are becoming more and more essential.

foilman

Postby foilman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:00 am UTC

lemONGrass

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:15 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Spoiler:

Hint:
Spoiler:

If you can't tell with a full figured woman, how can you hope to do it with a stick figure?

Totally NOT FAIR!!!!! You know none of us males is looking below the bellybutton!

Spoiler:
Sorry, I tried to find one, but "turning fat man filetype=gif" just gave to much horrible images, and none that suited.

How about one of those adorable videos of a wooflpy spinning in circles? I can't go link-searching due to blockage at work (the network, not my colon :mrgreen: ) , so I'm depending on you fellow posters to supply one.

ttscp wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

True, but:
There has been some speculation that it might be the end of Time.
All new page numbers are interesting.
Substitute 1024 if you prefer.

I think we should have the party on NP 1234. After all, that's the combo on all our luggage, as well as our password to our bank accounts!
Last edited by cellocgw on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:20 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:One solution, if you were prepared to do it, is to have a CSV with just the latest newpix for the standard "show the current frame" mode. Then when I add the option to select a frame / replay time, the full CSV could be downloaded only when the last frame in the current version is reached. That would probably be optimal.

Okay, quick hack: http://xkcd.mscha.org/time_latest.csv
This'll be kept up-to-date whenever a newpix arrives, and always contains just two rows, the header row and the bottom row from time.csv.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:25 am UTC

Good mornix everyone. Molpy up!

I see the Cueball is still coma'ng. It would be nice if they were both up and about by the time we reach our millennial newpage. I do like the idea of using that as an opportunity to recognize other, less frequent OTT members.

BlitzGirl wrote:
*Kat* wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:In some ways, it is good to know that, whilst planning our trip to the Smokey's next week, I've not missed much. On the other hand, it really is time to molpy up Cueball!

Why must the GLR, Creator of Time, test our resolve to wait for it? Tis his ineffable will, of course, I know, I know.

Because he does what he wants, and it's not our job to question his will.
What?

I get that the religion thing is a joke, but isn't this taking things a bit too far? I imagine that if Randall was at the head of his own religion his first commandment would be "question EVERYTHING".
Spoiler:
Is that not the running theme of the OTC? Why are Megan and Cueball there? Because they had a question and set off in search for an answer. Then they had another question and another and another.

Whoops, I've gone off topic.

Where was I?

Oh yeah.

QUESTION EVERYTHING.

Welcome back to the thread of Time, Kat. We do indeed have many questions here, but we know that if we Wait for it, some of them at least will be answered. If you check the past newpages of the OTT, you will see many questions and heresies. We question Time, and GLR, and the actions of Cuegan, for we are not perfect in our Waits. We question our religions, hence why we have so many sects. We question our astronomy, and our bots. We even question ourselves. I'm curious, would you have a question for your own past self? The one who posted this:

*Kat*, Newpage 250 wrote:
Flotter wrote:Does that mean the end of Time is near?

Randall only knows.

Well put. Indeed we may question many things. We may question the GLR's purpose, but we do not question his will...ineffable!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:26 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Spoiler:

Hint:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

How about one of those adorable videos of a wooflpy spinning in circles? I can't go link-searching due to blockage at work (the network, not my colon :mrgreen: ) , so I'm depending on you fellow posters to supply one.

Edit: baaaaaaaaa
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

he/him/his

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”