1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Latent22

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:39 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Been thinking about the flow of time in the OTC. The obvious answer is that it is arbitrary and at the whim of GLR. But is it possible that it is actually based on the perception of the main two characters Megan and Cueball. As an example when they both sleep so does the OTC and we miss most of the night times. When one of them is forced to stay awake at night we get the slow drag of a nights worth of time with no way to speed it up. We also get the adrenalin boosted frames where Trebuchet bullets fly slowly though the air or the keyboard attack with sub second time between frames. Then their is dialog frames where they the speed is dictated by the natural flow and responses of conversation. There is the leaving of the sandcastle where without Megan and Cueball to perceive it and only their fading memory to keep it alive it fades slowly.

So Maybe in some way the OTC is meant to be a way of showing the weird and interesting way we as humans perceive time. Fast at time and slow at times and with missing gaps for sleeping etc.

That's a good analysis.
There's one more thing, though: time within Time isn't always consistent. The first time we had a (fairly) good way to measure Inside time, was when the stars were out. They're were moving with a fairly constant speed, and the stargazers among us have calculated that a starry newpix's duration is about 6½ minutes.
However, from frame 2454 to 2456, a brief conversation took place that can't have taken more than 30 seconds. But according to the stars, about 13 minutes passed.

Yeah I agree the flow of time is not always consistent. But then neither is our perception of time either. Cueball and Meagan at that time are seeing a constantly slowly moving sky above them and they see it as slow and constant and they perceive the conversation as two events in time. When we overlap these two events it doesn't make sense in a logical time sense but maybe it's just how they see things and not how they actually are.

And I know its probably heretical to think of the OTC as anything but a real place but maybe we need to stop analyzing it as one sometimes. Though to be honest that is half the fun on here anyway.

Edit: Sorry got distracted by too many phone calls here and Tried to post what I had done and remove the extra bit but failed.
Last edited by Latent22 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:03 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:40 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Here's our hook for them finally meeting LaPetite. She'll take them back to her people, and Megan will get (belated) first aid.

That sounds more like last aid.

As long as it isn't last rites

:shock:

Pope!
Spoiler:
tell us about your earliest OTC memory
looking at cueball and Megan on the beach. Wait, did she sit up?
Last edited by edo on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Arky

Postby Arky » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:42 am UTC

Belated happy 1000 newpages!

So, it has come to this. They reach the top of the mountain and see other people, or they go home and see what LaPetite has wrought from the majestic ruins of the Great Sandcastles.

Somehow I just can't imagine them going home, not like this having to sleep in turns and with Megan injured and going back through all the places we've seen already.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:43 am UTC

edo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Here's our hook for them finally meeting LaPetite. She'll take them back to her people, and Megan will get (belated) first aid.

That sounds more like last aid.

As long as it isn't last rites

Knowing the OTT, it'd be more like last lefts.

ETA for Pope:
My earliest memory of Time is seeing this newpix:
Spoiler:

And wondering what in the world it meant.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:48 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:From what I understand, Page Pope came out of the already existing Page King which is often the bane of some forums. We seem to have embraced and modified it to suit our whims, however.

Ah... Never seen it on any of the forums I moderate or visit, but those are mostly strictly technical boards. I realized the "lack of Page Pope" last night when I viewed a thread on a board I moderate and it was weird that the first person on the next page didn't have a Papal Order. That's when I though that there as actually something wrong with me. :D

BlitzGirl wrote:And what a lovely observation, BytEfLUSh.

Thank you very much, this thread is always relaxing... I don't know how I managed to surf before... Right now I think there was no time before Time. :)

ETA: Oh, I was at work and opened the xkcd like I usually do on mondays (it was monday, right?) just to pass some time. I noticed it was taking too long to load, and the "Waiting for c11331313.xkcd.blahblah.yaddayadda" was kind of suspicious. I went to the boards to see if this is another one of those "Click & Drag"'s, when I noticed that you have discovered earlier frames. I joined around np8*, I think. A mod, I can't remember his name (phillip?) gathered all the frames in one post he edited, until he blanked it about a month after the Beginning.

ETA 2: I really like this papal request, I've been wondering about it for a long time.

* Somewhere along the OTT we decided that np=newpix, while NP = newpage.
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:58 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:<snip> Yeah I agree the flow of time is not always consistent. But then neither is our perception of time either. Cueball and Meagan at that time are seeing a constantly slowly moving sky above them and they see it as slow and constant and they perceive the conversation as two events in time. When we overlap these two events it doesn't make sense in a logical time sense but maybe it's just how they see things and not how they actually are.

And I know its probably heretical to think of the OTC as anything but a

What? What?! As anything but a... what?! *twitch*

Pikrass wrote:When I saw BlitzGirl being the Mome of page 1000, I litterally said "YES!". Well, whispered, because people are comaing in the two rooms next to mine, but still!

Your ottification is awesome and truly belongs where it is now. I hope it stays there. And a big thank you for including me. :)

D'aww. Thank you xuys for making this thread a wowterful place to be. Image
And you're welcome to TimeLurker, BigDaddy, Latent22, and everybody else who thanked me and that I missed in the rush of the Millenniparty. :)

ETA for Pope:
I've always thought it was odd that my first glimpse of Time was a pix where Cuegan wasn't visible (though Megan was behind her mound).
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:54 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Latent22 wrote:<snip> Yeah I agree the flow of time is not always consistent. But then neither is our perception of time either. Cueball and Meagan at that time are seeing a constantly slowly moving sky above them and they see it as slow and constant and they perceive the conversation as two events in time. When we overlap these two events it doesn't make sense in a logical time sense but maybe it's just how they see things and not how they actually are.

I've sent Fluffy on a mission to extract the truth. We shall soon know, I hope. Without too much damage being done, of course.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:57 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:From what I understand, Page Pope came out of the already existing Page King which is often the bane of some forums. We seem to have embraced and modified it to suit our whims, however.

Ah... Never seen it on any of the forums I moderate or visit, but those are mostly strictly technical boards. I realized the "lack of Page Pope" last night when I viewed a thread on a board I moderate and it was weird that the first person on the next page didn't have a Papal Order. That's when I though that there as actually something wrong with me. :D

The earliest place I think I saw any kind of top-of-page phenomena was when I was a wee little dragonet on the Animal Crossing Community forums, oh 5 or 6 years ago (I started interneting at the ripe young age of 11). There, it was quite normal to perform a top-of-the-page-dance, or TOTPD. A couple other places, I've seen the first post on a page called "page king," but remarking on it besides that is generally frowned upon. Which makes this topic quite special :D

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Good Ong!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:02 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:

I've sent Fluffy on a mission to extract the truth. We shall soon know, I hope. Without too much damage being done, of course.

Yay Fluffy! *twitch* *twitch* *twitch*

More for the pope:
When I saw my first frame of Time, with no Cuegan, it was difficult to figure out what it meant. By then the Sandcastle was so elaborate that I thought it was actually a real castle. The trebuchet was to scale so I thought it was a life-sized trebuchet. But Megan's mound confused me, because why would a real castle have a malformed mound in the middle of it like that?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:04 am UTC

Coma time for me.
Prediction: when I decoma, Cuegan still won't have moved from this spot. Image

ETA: my first Time experience was similar to BytEfLUSh's. I went to xkcd.com some time around np10, and it wasn't working – something timing out, with a weird URL.
First, I experimented with tools like wget to see if I could get the image after all, after a while I went to the OTT-to-be, and found out what was going on. (So I knew about the updating comic before seeing a single frame – a bit of a spoiler.)
I soon made a little script to grab all frames, lurked in the OTT for a couple of tetracontioctanewpix48 and then finally registered. And the rest, as they say, is history.

48: 48 newpix in a day, back then, of course.
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:05 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Yay Fluffy! *twitch* *twitch* *twitch*

More for the pope:
When I saw my first frame of Time, with no Cuegan, it was difficult to figure out what it meant. By then the Sandcastle was so elaborate that I thought it was actually a real castle. The trebuchet was to scale so I thought it was a life-sized trebuchet. But Megan's mound confused me, because why would a real castle have a malformed mound in the middle of it like that?

Please take Fluffy back!!!! It won't stop humping my leg!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:06 am UTC

In honor of the occasion of the 1000th Newpage (even though I didn't post on it), here is some cake.

This is probably the least artistic cake ever posted in the thread, but it has a big advantage over all the others: it's a cake that's actually here right now where I am and it shall actually be eaten by me. :D And anyone else who drops by can have a piece.

Also, if you're reading this, it means I've finally gone and learned to do that redundant-image-posting thing, so with any luck, no more image links to Photobucket in my posts.

Redundant spoiler
Spoiler:
1kcake.JPG
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:09 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:In honor of the occasion of the 1000th Newpage (even though I didn't post on it), here is some cake.

This is probably the least artistic cake ever posted in the thread, but it has a big advantage over all the others: it's a cake that's actually here right now where I am and it shall actually be eaten by me. :D And anyone else who drops by can have a piece.

Also, if you're reading this, it means I've finally gone and learned to do that redundant-image-posting thing, so with any luck, no more image links to Photobucket in my posts.

Where do we sign up with our address so you can mail out a piece to everyone here?

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:11 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:More for the pope:

History lesson time. Look up motte and bailey castle at wikipedia. It was the first sort of "castle" in Europe. Windsor Castle started out like that. A big pile of dirt surrounded by a moat (ditch, where the dirt in the pile came from) and that surrounded by a fence (palisade). Once secured you could start to build stuff inside the fence and later replace that with a proper wall, etc. It is pretty good protection against folks with simple (non projectile) weapons. But trebuchets came later too.
-- Charlie Grumbles

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:13 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Where do we sign up with our address so you can mail out a piece to everyone here?

You just gave me an idea. How about us OTT-ers swap out home addresses with each other. Xkcd themed postcard, local postcard, whatever? Let's bring our intranet an inch more to the real thing and start with chain-mailing. :)

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:18 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
Please take Fluffy back!!!! It won't stop humping my leg!

Thanks for fixing the goat post on np1001. I'll leave Fluffy to have her fun for a bit. If she's humping your leg, one of you is a bit confused.

DON'T try to scratch her tummy. Ears, fine. Tummy, NO. Big NO. Word.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:19 am UTC

Great NP1000 celebration, great art, great insights! I'm looking forward to Waiting For It some more with you all.

I first saw the OTC when
Spoiler:
two still-unnamed characters were sitting there, maybe in a park, looking at something that was out of the frame. I stayed still for a couple of minutes, waiting for it, because I thought whatever it was, was about to happen momentarily. Nothing. I came back later and noticed the image has changed, without knowing really how. So I googled "xkcd 1190" and voilá... I discovered the forum! Yes, I had followed xkcd for years without even knowing there was a forum. So I took a look at the OTT, learned quite a few things, and went back to 1190 once or twice a day. Later, when Aubron put up the site, I started visiting it obsesively, while also reading the OTT (though not all the pages or posts). Since then, I never stopped.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:21 am UTC

Whew. *stops twitching* Thanks, Latent22.

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:More for the pope:

History lesson time. Look up motte and bailey castle at wikipedia. It was the first sort of "castle" in Europe. Windsor Castle started out like that. A big pile of dirt surrounded by a moat (ditch, where the dirt in the pile came from) and that surrounded by a fence (palisade). Once secured you could start to build stuff inside the fence and later replace that with a proper wall, etc. It is pretty good protection against folks with simple (non projectile) weapons. But trebuchets came later too.

This is why I like having a charlie on the thread. :mrgreen: Thanks!

Rule110 wrote:In honor of the occasion of the 1000th Newpage (even though I didn't post on it), here is some cake.
Spoiler:

That is so wowterful! A real live OTT cake! :D

More for pope:
Anyway, since I was confused, I went to the fora, where I had about a hundred posts or so in the Othercomics section. Saw the proto-OTT, thought Why is it such a long thread? and the rest is in the pastposts. :)
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:28 am UTC

"tell us about your earliest OTC memory"

I seem to remember seeing the two of them sitting on a beach and "waiting" a whole minute or so for something to happen. (meh)
Came back a few hours later and thinking "Is this some how different?" (Oh, well.)
Came back the next day, "Wait. This IS different. (I think.)"
A day or two later, and it became "Okay, I need to check this out" and I came to this forum. There I found phlip's hash tag listing (on NP2) and started collecting# pix.
(Yes, I know, I mentioned this earlier todip when we were asked to remember someone.)

#and collecting.....
and collecting.....
and collecting.....
and collecting.....
and collecting.....
and collecting.....

Spoiler:
And Still: following The Grand Command:
Wait For It

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:38 am UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:I gotta go meta on this thread... It may be heretical at some points and I hope GLR forgives me.
Spoiler:
[outside heresy]
Has anyone noticed the correlation of various Internet memes with this thread? Internet memes are formed with millions of people spreading the jargon, catch-phrases, video and audio clips. Some message boards also have their own jargon and "memes", but they usually count tens of thousands of members and years of development. However, here, there are only cca 1200 people that have posted in OTT and the vast majority of them aren't around anymore. I am not even a regular, yet I understand all the "funny" words and I'd be surprised if someone didn't. Heck, even members reading this thread without a single post have become famous (Mrs. MobTeeseGoose, I hope you read this.) This may be the most homogenous group on the Internet... Ask someone about molpies, GLR, OTC, OTT, Page Pope, Page Goat (excuse me if those existed before - I never saw them), LaPetite, Cuegan, Megball, "molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine" and all of the other words and phrases I can't remember right now - the ones where spellcheck puts a squiggly red line underneath. I wasn't around before the "Eternal September", but my best guess is - this is what it looked like.
[/outside heresy]

TLDR: You are all awesome! :D

I've been thinking the same! It is in many ways your typical internet community with memes and stuff, only smaller, more esoteric, and nicer/less flamey. It's pretty neat...

In honour of the millennium I'd like to take a moment to say this is my favourite internet community I've ever been a part of, and that's saying a lot since there's an OtherForum I've been a regular on for about 5 years and have met some people on there who have become some of my real life best friends. So yeah. You're all awesomeful :mrgreen:

My first memory of Time (i.e. first frame I saw) was when they'd just built the first little tower. Not sure exactly which frame, but around then. Been following ever since :D
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:39 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:

Where do we sign up with our address so you can mail out a piece to everyone here?

Easy! Just PM me your postal address and I'll be sure to...

Hold on a sec, there's a huge crowd of starving orphans at the door. I wonder what they want? I'll have to get back to you later.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:42 am UTC

I...I missed it. :( Well, so it goes.

That was a wonderful present present on 1000np, Blitzgirl. I'm glad to see Charlie posting regularly, with Fluffy in tow. Thanks for the TdF updates. Much easier to digest than trying to catch an online update. Enjoy your retirement Dracomax. I am glad you will be sticking around. Neil_Boekend, you've big shoes to fill...if dragons wore shoes, that is.

I think I had more to say, but it has been another rough day, and I've forgotten. I am desperately looking forward to my much needed vacation next week, though it will mean 5 dips without the OTT. Upon my return I shall surely be blitzing.

In the meantime, I am glad to find sanctuary here on the OTT, in our cave, virtual though it be. You all make me smile :) Thanks.

So, now that a plan of action has been settled, it is time for Cuegan to be on their way. As for my earliest memory, it was NP1, same as Edo, and coming back to find that it had changed. And then coming back again finding it had changed, again. It was at that point that I did a search, to try and find out what was going on. I found myself in the forum, for the first time, and began following what was to become the OTT. Glad I found it :)
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:46 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yay, cake4!

At the beginning of Time, I ...
Spoiler:
... visited the xkcd page to see the new comic (of which I didn't know at that time that it should be the One True Comic). It was at some point during the first eight TimeFrames (I don't remember exactly which one, but I know that it was before Megan lay down for the first time). If it had been just this frame, I probably would have thought: " 4 ", because the view of Cuegan at the beach fitted nicely to the One True Commandment; it would have felt peaceful and minimalist, and I would never have looked at the OTC again. But all I saw was the title "Time", and beneath the title again the word "Time" (as a substitution for the TimeFrame that wasn't loading). Since I was on a slow internet connection, I literally waited for it, even before I checked the alt-text. But after a couple of moments, I got impatient, I moved the cursor to the writing, and the One True Commandment appeared. So I thought that GLR was messing with us (oh, how wrong and how right at the same time I was...), and that the missing comic was intentional. But I wasn't sure, so I came to the forum to check the OTT. The rest is history...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:51 am UTC

Re: decree

I came upon Time in the way I usually came about xkcd comics, via my RSS feed (small aside: curse you google for shutting down reader! I have theoldreader, though, so its fine.), I think I was checking it like I usually do after I got home from school. I saw the comic, which at that point I think was Megball's first little tower, and wasn't quite sure what to make of it. The alt text said "wait for it," so I left it open in another tab as I continued checking up on things. I went back later and realized the image had changed - which I hurriedly pointed out to a friend and fellow xkcd reader (who was somewhat less excited about the discovery) and then forgot about it for a few hours. Later that night, I remembered it, and wondered if anyone had kept track of all the - well, I didn't think of them as newpix at that point, obviously, but - frames, and also remembered that xkcd had some forums I'd seen a while ago. So I went there, and found this thread, which had about 20 pages at that point and was zooming along. I made a personal goal of reading the whole thing (a blitz! but short...and the term didn't even exist then) to find out what the heck was going on here, and by the next day I was caught up around page 68 - where I made my first post, speculating on the deeper meaning and trying to sound very intellectual because that's my default mode when talking to people I don't know.

934 pages later, here I am - checking this thread before I even go and refresh my own website. Good? Bad? Either way, I wouldn't have met all y'all awesome folks without this comic/thread, and that is not a timeline I would like to inhabit.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Move 'em Ong head 'em Ong rawhide
My heart's calculatin' my true love will be waitin'
Be waitin' at the end of my ride

Move 'em on head 'em up...

Rawhide - Opening and End Credits

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:03 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Move 'em Ong head 'em Ong rawhide
Spoiler:

Yay! Adventuring! Been so long <3

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:07 am UTC

I first arrived in the OTT on page 4, sticking my head in to work out if I'd somehow "missed" the joke of the comic. People had just started recording and comparing the first few frames and thus a lurking obsession began as the sandcastle began to unfold.

And I am still greatly amused by the first response in the thread "I can't tell if Randall is trying to be deep, or just trying to take a day off work.".
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:13 am UTC

I think how I found the OTC and later the OTT is a little less interesting than some other people's stories. In the afternoon of the OTC's first day I checked explain xkcd as I always do (not that I always need it, but when I do I'm already there and otherwise it doesn't make a difference) which showed the first frame and the alt-text which I immediately thought was kind of cool. Then I read the explanation which directed me to aubronwood and I was amazed. At that point I didn't even know these fora existed so I checked aubronwood every day for a couple weeks. I somehow found these fora, (probably just while googling the OTC) read just a few posts, and I was hooked. I have since explored much of the xkcd fora and I love all of it.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Image GLR has given himself many, many dips of work by creating Time.

More for pope:
Perhaps my affinity for Megan comes from the fact that the first newpix of Time I experienced firsthand made up a lone-Megan period. 56 newpix of Megan, no Cueball at all.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:21 am UTC

Spoiler:

All I can think of is Donkey in Shrek :P

Also, I'm preparing a present present. Was late for page 1000, but it's not 1000-related so doesn't really matter. It's should be future-ish and tree-ish.
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:22 am UTC

My first view of Time:

I stopped by xkcd over breakfast, as is my habit. The server must have been getting hit pretty hard, because all I saw as the title, "Time", and a small text box, which said "Time". The mouse-over worked, and told me to "Wait for it."

I thought, "Hmmm, that's odd, but somehow fitting." I thought that was the joke. Time was something to wait for, and not much more needs to be drawn, or said.

It was nagging me for a while, so a bit later, I checked the forums, which I do once in a while when I don't quite 'get' it. I saw references to a picture, and went back to the main page and saw one of the early images. Following the forum thread for a bit, I saw that a lot of people didn't know what to make of it. Then somebody said "Hey, the image changed!"

And I was hooked.
Hi! Probably.

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:29 am UTC

So continuing mine - I checked with exlainxkcd (I've been going there since before they were a wiki), and they were in the early stages, but it was clear there had been several frames (they may not have set up the script yet, not sure) I read the talk pages, a lot of stuff about the hashes, I looked at the source, I googled, I found the OTT.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 am UTC

Missed the millenewpagium... and now that I've managed to ketchup, my eyes are closing in involuntary coma.

Molpy down.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

yappobiscuits

I love the whole thread.

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:38 am UTC

Present present time! :mrgreen: Extended version including the second comic as well as the first.

mp3 download also available.
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

acunning40

Postby acunning40 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:38 am UTC

wizpretz wrote:For this page I encourage all of our guests to make an account

Well, I guess I finally will. :)

edo wrote:tell us about your earliest OTC memory

I looked at the comic shortly after it appeared, wasn't sure what to make of it, and checked the thread but didn't see much more info here. (I think there were about 5-10 posts at that point.) A little later I checked before going to bed, and saw some posts saying that the image had changed a bit so then I had an idea of what was happening. I've been following the comic and the thread ever since. :D

BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:41 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:

All I can think of is Donkey in Shrek :P

For me it's Blues Brothers in the honky think.

I have been lurking for the past year usually reading the individual comics threads, they help when I don't get the comic and are usually interesting on their own. I didn't get them sitting there. Then the thread got the madness and I skipped many pages. Finally decided to create an account around 600 pages. Read about 70-80% of the thread. Time to coma.

ETA I really dislike typing on kindle.

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:46 am UTC

I first viewed Time around newpix 5. I checked what the new comic was, and didn't understand it. What could be the meaning of two stick figures sitting on a beach? So I checked the forum thread for an explanation, and quickly got addicted.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:48 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Present present time! :mrgreen: Extended version including the second comic as well as the first.

mp3 download also available.

I am greatly cheered up now. Thanks! :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:48 am UTC

My first OTC memory:
I looked at the newest comic shortly after midnight to find Cuegan (or back then, two stick figures) sitting on a beach. I remember being really confused, because I could not figure out what that had to do with the title or alt-text. I remember clicking and dragging and checking to see if it was some sort of .gif. I then went to the forum and it was then that I discovered that the image was changing. I then stayed up waaaaay too late getting wrapped up in speculation about the meaning of it and the javascript and everything else.

I'm getting all nostalgic thinking back that far.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”