1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tman2nd

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:19 am UTC

I found a game that is being worked on called A Hat in Time.

It's all related. :)

EDIT: Papal Decree (My first):
Your post must be about the OTC.

EDIT2: I'm modifying my decree. Some part of your post has to be about the OTC. The rest can be off-topic or about the OTT.
Last edited by tman2nd on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

BlueCrab

Re: 1190: "Time" Tdf Update

Postby BlueCrab » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:24 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Thanks Charlie for your Tour updates. It's really nice to have the background behind each stage explained by someone who loves and understand the sport. It makes it easier for those of us who have only seen the 30-second sound-bite highlites on the TV.
Also, nice to see you posting again.
Same here, all around. :)

Since it is off-topic, though, and necessarily seaish, if the TdF reports are a problem for anyone, would you let us know, please? The reports could be spoilered, or those of us enjoying this particular side-conversation could take it elsewhere. Right, guys? Guys? Aw, dang...

NoMouse wrote:a I know I was saying "See you soon" in my last post because I'm leaving for a few daysb... yeah, still here but not for a long Time, one newpix max.
b Not that anyone cares

pelrigg wrote:(I kinda took a vacation from posting also. not that anyone noticed my absence. *shrug*)

:| I feel so sad when people write things like this. You notice when other people don't post for a while, don't you? You might get around to checking when their last post was, or they might come back before you get that far, but you notice. And when someone says they'll be gone for a while, you think ‘oh, that's nice, they’re going on a trip,’ or ‘ugh, final exams, glad it's not me,’ or maybe ‘ppbbblllttt. Wish I could go on a trip, must be nice.’ You care. (And if you meant that people might think your explanation was silly, nah. Plenty of us say we're going a-coma and then post just one more time, or just stay for the ONG and end up commenting on it, or grab a moment on the way out the door to get a word in... It's all good. :D)(Besides, you're about to drive a DeLorean through the door of a Tardis. It would be silly of us to assume we know where you are in your personal timeline.)
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:35 am UTC

How much time until they reach the Others?
Also, Cake Time update; it now has a self-update URL and won't keep yelling at you everytime you reload the page :D Grab it here. Courtesy of Sally Decker.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:37 am UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Hi jjjdavidson!
Don't wear yourself out. It would be a shame if you burnt out on the OTT. Ditch the charts if you must. I very much doubt anyone here would hold it against you.
Oh, in regards to TCM. You hadn't missed much, in my opinion. Well, Eddie Muller had been hosting an awefulsome Noir series.

But the charts are fun, for me. It's just that I'm a chirping perfectionist, so I have to fix every stupid off-by-one error in my code, even though they scarcely affect the visual result. And Python drives me slightly crazy─a language where m = n doesn't assign the value of n to m seems designed to drive an old FORTRAN IV programmer to distraction, and when documentation refers to a "raw string" I don't expect that raw string to still have escape characters in it. :x

And I love good noir, but I have a backlog of recordings I could spend the next several months watching (even without Time); there are days I look at the TCM schedule and think, "Yep, already recorded every one of those."

But I'm going to get some coma time tonight, at least. I want to see what comes next, but I'll just have to wait for it like everyone else. Coma fast, all you zombies Waiters! Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are! Molpy down...
Spoiler:
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:47 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:How much time until they reach the Others?
Also, Cake Time update; it now has a self-update URL and won't keep yelling at you everytime you reload the page :D Grab it here. Courtesy of Sally Decker.

Just a tip, Aluisio, if you name the script "RoundPostAlert.user.js" instead of "RoundPostAlert.js" then greasemonkey will recognize it as soon as a user's browser navigates to it. Just thought I'd let you know. Otherwise its a few more hoops to jump through to install it.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:49 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:And Python drives me slightly crazy─a language where m = n doesn't assign the value of n to m seems designed to drive an old FORTRAN IV programmer to distraction, and when documentation refers to a "raw string" I don't expect that raw string to still have escape characters in it. :x

I wish other languages had that feature.
About raw strings: they don't have escape characters. r"\nNot for me, at least."
Selecting new quote…

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:53 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Hi jjjdavidson!
Don't wear yourself out. It would be a shame if you burnt out on the OTT. Ditch the charts if you must. I very much doubt anyone here would hold it against you.
Oh, in regards to TCM. You hadn't missed much, in my opinion. Well, Eddie Muller had been hosting an awefulsome Noir series.

But the charts are fun, for me. It's just that I'm a chirping perfectionist, so I have to fix every stupid off-by-one error in my code, even though they scarcely affect the visual result. And Python drives me slightly crazy─a language where m = n doesn't assign the value of n to m seems designed to drive an old FORTRAN IV programmer to distraction, and when documentation refers to a "raw string" I don't expect that raw string to still have escape characters in it. :x

And I love good noir, but I have a backlog of recordings I could spend the next several months watching (even without Time); there are days I look at the TCM schedule and think, "Yep, already recorded every one of those."

But I'm going to get some coma time tonight, at least. I want to see what comes next, but I'll just have to wait for it like everyone else. Coma fast, all you zombies Waiters! Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are! Molpy down...
Spoiler:

Yes, June was like that for me as well. Aside from the Noir series, a lot of it seemed like re-runs (which is a very odd thing to say about a channel that only plays classic films). Alas, one of these dips I shall learn Python. Perhaps. I keep trying, anyway.

Well, I expect we shall be observing their journey for a few dips. That is, of course, unless GLR uses Time gaps to skip ahead a bit. Megan did say they could possibly make it in a dip or so, did she not? I do hope they hurry. Otherwise, I shall be in the mountains when they reach their goal. In the meantime, molpy down...

Spoiler:

Coma well! Keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Ego

Postby Ego » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:55 am UTC

Spoiler:

I'll do a little trigonometry. 34 / 209 = 133/ distance to point where telescope points. So, distance to telescope points = 133 * 209 / 34 = 817.56 pixels. Considering Megan width is about 160mm (chosen by random) it would give a distance about 817.56px / 38px * 1.6m = 34m. It's not far at all. probably i made a mistake somewhere :?
Attachments
ifoundtrigonometry.png
Last edited by Ego on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:03 am UTC

seeONG is believONG

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:05 am UTC

Megan doesn't seem to want Cueball's help all the Time - she wants to leap riverish streams and climb observatory structures on her own, even if that causes her pain.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

See?

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:26 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:How much time until they reach the Others?
Also, Cake Time update; it now has a self-update URL and won't keep yelling at you everytime you reload the page :D Grab it here.

Just a tip, Aluisio, if you name the script "RoundPostAlert.user.js" instead of "RoundPostAlert.js" then greasemonkey will recognize it as soon as a user's browser navigates to it. Just thought I'd let you know. Otherwise its a few more hoops to jump through to install it.

Thank you. Should be double-updated automatically (one to change the update url, other to grab the new script).
(Compile CoffeeScript to JavaScript? DIIYOB.)

ChronosDragon wrote:seeONG is believONG

See?
See?
See?
(Inside joke; usually spoken by people before they die.)
Last edited by AluisioASG on Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:30 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Megan doesn't seem to want Cueball's help all the Time - she wants to leap riverish streams and climb observatory structures on her own, even if that causes her pain.

That aspect of Megan's character (pride and reluctance to accept help) has been so clearly portrayed now that if this were a Hollywood movie, I'd be fully expecting it to play a critical role in the narrative climax. Given that it's a unique art form featuring mostly monosyllabic stick figures though, who can say...

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:32 am UTC

Ok Random present for everyone.

Busy going though the wedding photos right now so thought I would share some cake with you guys.

Cake is beach themed with sand and all so its OTC related right?

Spoiler:
Cake.jpg

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:00 am UTC

FigurONG out what things are

HES

Re: See?

Postby HES » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:02 am UTC

TimeLurker wrote:If you're compiling squirpy comics, there was a student drawn comic in the Exponent at Purdue University that had a squirrel as a recurring character. It would steal computer parts for its master.

What is it with squirpies and stealing things?

thirds wrote:I fear that there is a giant mirror just off to the right.

This resulted in one of those embarrassing laugh-snorts. Luckily everyone else is a-coma

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm not surprised, with the injury on/near her knee like that.

Perhaps that's why Megan has been leaning on the structure for the past fewpix.

Careful now, you're starting to make sense...

AluisioASG wrote:See?
See?
See?

I'd be concerned if it was spoken by people after they die, though with all this zombie talk...

Right, I'm off to catch a train. I only have phone internet this wixend, so I'll have to ketchup properly on mondix. See y'all in a fewpix!
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:09 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Ok Random present for everyone.
Spoiler:

Busy going though the wedding photos right now so thought I would share some cake with you guys.

Cake is beach themed with sand and all so its OTC related right?

That is a wowterful cake! Looks delicious! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Re: See?

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:24 am UTC

HES wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:See?
See?
See?

I'd be concerned if it was spoken by people after they die, though with all this zombie talk...

Well, that too. Those who are dead, are not dead, they're just living in my head...
Selecting new quote…

Valarya

Re: I love the whole thread.

Postby Valarya » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:39 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Present present time! :mrgreen: Extended version including the second comic as well as the first.

mp3 download also available.

I know this is 16 pages old by now.. and who knows what awesome stuff may have come after it, but I'm stuck here in the past - having been at Sea World for the past 12 hours... and just had to say AWEFULSOME JOB AGAIN YAPPO! :mrgreen:

*trying real hard not to look at the Book of Aubron*

See all ya'll in the future. Molpy down. Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:44 am UTC

(More seriously, I think that the "it" Megan refers to is "the dust." If you switch the two:
"The dust is far away. But do you see it?"

I guess switching the two made you misunderstand what followed...

BlitzGirl wrote:Also, Megan, you're concerning me. You just said "It's far away" and now you're saying it's not far?

No, she said it (the place where the people are she found) is far away. "But do you see the dust?" - "But", because the dust is somewhere else, and not far away. "And I saw flashes of light. Something glinting. It's not far. We can reach them tonight". "Them" means the flashes of light, not the people...
Go Minim go!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:59 am UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
(More seriously, I think that the "it" Megan refers to is "the dust." If you switch the two:
"The dust is far away. But do you see it?"

I guess switching the two made you misunderstand what followed...

BlitzGirl wrote:Also, Megan, you're concerning me. You just said "It's far away" and now you're saying it's not far?

No, she said it (the place where the people are she found) is far away. "But do you see the dust?" - "But", because the dust is somewhere else, and not far away. "And I saw flashes of light. Something glinting. It's not far. We can reach them tonight". "Them" means the flashes of light, not the people...

I don't necessarily agree. Why two separate locations? It's simpler to have dust/glints/people in the same place. And "them" as referring to the collective people, who are the ones causing both the dust and the flashes.

Megan might have intended the first, positive far as in, they're difficult to see because of distance. And the second, negative far as, not too far to travel to on foot. HereBeUnmappedBits had the same sort of thought a few ongs back.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Looks like the squirpys have stolONG the transit telescope:

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

heather99

Postby heather99 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:37 am UTC

You know what that thing makes me think of? Those towers that held firepits/piles of firewood that could be lit to alert those far away about something, like the signal towers from LOTR.
I'm much too stubborn to make myself a signature.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:37 am UTC

Maybe the tower is some kind of molpyramid.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:48 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I don't necessarily agree. Why two separate locations? It's simpler to have dust/glints/people in the same place. And "them" as referring to the collective people, who are the ones causing both the dust and the flashes.

Simpler, yes. Still makes more sense to me when read as "the people are far away, but the dust we can reach by tonight"...
Anyway: people, dust, flashes, glinting... Exciting times ahead :) Can't wait to wait for it...
Go Minim go!

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:03 am UTC

WEAPONONG!

Now, Cueball, maybe you should step back a second...

heather99

Postby heather99 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:14 am UTC

They've stumbled upon the ruined remains of a waterpark. It's one of those giant water squirters.
Actually, I would say it was a signal thing, where you put a lantern in there and aim the thing, except for that to work it would need a bunch of mirrors on there, and I'd expect for that to have been commented on if there was a bunch of mirrors there.
I'm much too stubborn to make myself a signature.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:31 am UTC

I wonder what Cuegan's knowledge of weapons consists of? We've only seen them use two model trebuchets and a thwapstick.

Zorin_75 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I don't necessarily agree. Why two separate locations? It's simpler to have dust/glints/people in the same place. And "them" as referring to the collective people, who are the ones causing both the dust and the flashes.

Simpler, yes. Still makes more sense to me when read as "the people are far away, but the dust we can reach by tonight"...
Anyway: people, dust, flashes, glinting... Exciting times ahead :) Can't wait to wait for it...

*shrugs* I'm in favor of Occam's razor here, at least until we know more about what Cuegan actually saw. But yes, exciting. :)

And now it's Time to go...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:48 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:And now it's Time to go...

:D Good nix!
Go Minim go!

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:01 am UTC

GLORIFIEDTHWAPSTICKONG

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:07 am UTC

I've been ketching up continuously without posting.
So here are some replies:

@mscha, pikrass, xpatiate, thirds: *Waves back* Nice to meet some likeminded folks here, though I hadn't expect anything else in this geeky thread.

@pikrass: Ruby vs. Python: I think Ruby is the more elegant of the two languages and for some time it was the language of my choice. Ironically it was RoR that brought me back to Python. I never really grokked Rails (maybe because I jumped in a bit too early, while many things were still in flux). My search for a framework lead me to django (after a very short detour to Lift) and I am really happy with it now, even using it for local work and frontend tools, just because it is so much easier to do a quick UI setup that can be expanded nicley into a full fledged application if need be.

@jjjdavidson: Cool charts. Don't worry about python, just use the tool you are comfortable with. Python has some quirks (2.x mainly) with strings, unicode and some other issues, but it works just fine for me.

@flado, EternalDensity: I've never animated anyones avatar.

@Blitzgirl: Cool 1000 NP present, I am flattered to be (again) inculded in one of your presents.

@yappobiscuits: Bestest otter-song evar!

Storytelling: The whole story so far is about waiting for things to happen:
  • Falls of Cueball and Megan in the sandcastle era.
  • Crumbling of parts of the sandcastle
  • Reappearance of LaPetite
  • Lurking of the snake
  • Expecting certain planets and stars to appear
  • Seeing the mountain peak structure
    etc etc
So it is not waiting for one big IT, we have already waited for several small its.

If time permits I may be coming up with a new Constellation (1000NP Special Edition). But you may have to
Spoiler:
Wait For It.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:28 am UTC

Isn't anyone else worried about things glinting in the dust? Swords glint. Armor glints. An army on the march raises dust.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:36 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Act 1, scene 15
Spoiler:
at rise: the campsite of the Timewaiters. Flat ground, mountains in the background. Upstage, the front of BlitzGirl's large tent, draped with a pink feather boa. The (closed) entrance flap is large, in keeping with the tent. Outside the tent is a stand which holds a lance with a long banner on the end of it, a shield emblazoned with a symmetric serif cross, and a bright silver helmet adorned with a large pink flowing tuft that matches the boa decorating the tent. It is early evening.

BlitzGirl emerges from the tent, regally dressed in bright chain battle armor.
SONG: Onward!
(music to follow - I'm having some trouble with Rosegarden)
BlitzGirl wrote:The time has come, the waiting now is ending.
... Matters must be taken well in hand.
Molpy up my Knights Temporal
Fill the air with verses choral
Gird your loins! The battle's moral!

Onward, Onwards! Onward, molpy army! Come!
The Knights Temporal enter from both sides. They are each in festive armor with lance and shield similar to the ones in front of BlitzGirl's tent. As they sing the next verse, the Knights Temporal retrieve cages of molpies from BlitzGirl's tents and lay them out on the ground, readying them for release. They also bring out a desk and a swiveling desk chair, and set up a command post outside the tent, a bit stage left of center stage.
The Knights Temporal wrote:We come to you, apocalypse impending
... Ready now to follow your command.
Lead us on to greater glory
that our children tell the story
of the battle, grim and gory!

Onward, Onwards! Onward molpy army! Run!
BlitzGirl takes her place at the command post, standing in behind the desk.
The Knights Temporal wrote:By your command, from molpycats defending
... the very ground upon which we all stand
BlitzGirl wrote:Your devotion is outstanding
Give me action! I'm demanding!
The Knights Temporal wrote:with the storyline expanding, lead us...
BlitzGirl and The Knights Temporal wrote:Onward, Onwards! Onward molpy army!
BlitzGirl wrote:It's begun!

BlitzGirl sits in the swiveling desk chair and pushes off towards center stage, spinning in the chair as she does so.
Shouting as she spins in her chair, BlitzGirl wrote:Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!
On that command, the Knights Temporal release the cage latches, and the molpies all spring out.

curtain.

============
to: director@ActsOfClerics.org
Subject: molpies
Whose chirping idea was it to use actual live rowrmolpies and compys and keyboards in your production???? I have seventeen audience members in the hospital, plus your music director, who bore the brunt of the... "activity", on stage left. Twenty four others will only talk to me through lawyers, and the press is wondering if this is the new "3D of theater".

============
To: producer@riverishTheaterByTheBig.org
Subject: RE: molpies
There's no such thing as bad publicity in show biz. Anyway, the scene just didn't work with stuffed animals on springs. What kind of crazy suggestion was that? it's supposed to be believable. And while I'm at it, why does the movie department get all the neat special effects, and we are stuck with imbeciles who can't tell the difference between a sound cue and a light cue? It was the end of the act - we have an entire intermission to clean up. Yes, it is too bad about the music director. I expect you are out finding another one for next week's performances?

============
To: director@ActsOfClerics.org

> It's supposed to be believable.

If you want believable, see attached. Those are the doctor bills so far. I thought you learned your lesson after the kettledrum incident. As for the music director, that will be a bit of a problem. The orchestra is demanding hazardous duty pay, and I'm having a hard time finding conductors that are also lion tamers. It's not a popular combination.

============
To: producer@riverishTheaterByTheBig.org

> ...after the kettledrum incident

That's totally not fair. Our entire budget for sets was a hundred dollars. The script called for climbable trees, and you wouldn't shell out the money for anything more than cardboard and a tippy chair! A hundred dollars wouldn't even pay for the perrier they spill on the movie set over at MGM. Get some money from the motion picture division and apply it to the stage version, then we'll talk.

> ...finding conductors that are also lion tamers...
What's a "lion"?

============
To: stagemanager@ActsOfClerics.org
CC: producer@riverishTheaterByTheBig.org, staff@ActsOfClerics.org
Subject: RE: fwd: re: molpies

> A hundred dollars wouldn't even pay for the perrier they spill on the movie set.

What of it? What would you have us drink, tap water? This is the movies. Remember, when we do something on the film set, it's enshrined in celluloid for millions of people worldwide, not to mention the TV, DVD, and youtube rights. It has to envelop the viewer or it won't sell. No money, no movie. Your theater, if you don't mind my saying, holds a hundred people at a time. It's quaint, but hardly a megamoneymaker. There's just no comparison.

I've attached a bottle of Perrier. Have a party! (That is, if your staff can figure out how to open it!

============
To: AOC@MolpyGoldwinMayor.com
Subject: can you read?
Quaint?? Have you ever been to a live theater? Or read a book?

============
To: research@MolpyGoldwinMayor.com
Subject: fwd: can you read:
What's a book?
==== begin forwarded message ====
To: AOC@ MolpyGoldwinMayor.com
Subject: can you read?
Quaint?? Have you ever been to a live theater? Or read a book?

=============
[connection lost]
Jose
<-- previous (NP 966) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

Great new chapter4! I loved the song, I could virtually hear the melody while reading the lyrics. And "MolpyGoldwinMayor" is hilarious! :D
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:02 am UTC

QASABONG
Last edited by Kazza3 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

edfel

Postby edfel » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:03 am UTC

Darts, I've missed the new tower revolution. Before the mention of weapon, I first thought of "clack towers" from Terry Pratchett (for those who don't know (are there any??), they are towers relaying light-encoded signals from city to city)

Now, weapon, glint and dust make really think of something military indeed... but I do hope it's something else.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:04 am UTC

The slanted cross piece (transit, telescope, whatever) disappeared starting at 2595 (geekwagon).

Agree with edfel. I do hope it is not an army, unless it's a Monstrous Regiment.

ETA Pratchett reference
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:19 am UTC

Angelastic wrote:
Davidy wrote:You're presupposing that Randal began this with the advance knowledge that there would be a vast following that would, and could, spend hours microanalyzing every nuance of his drawings.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I'd say Randall was quite aware that he has such an audience, yes. He's been doing xkcd for a while; I think he knows his audience by now.

Exactly. He already has precedent for this with Click & Drag among others. And I completely agree with you and Ashaman, that this is something that hasn't been done before (as far as I know anyway), and that the community that's sprung up around the OTC is an integral part of the experience. If the comic wasn't meant to inspire speculation, theorising and analysis, then why not just draw the whole thing and release it all at once, like a regular animation? The gaps between frames provide the opportunity to share observations, hypothesise, puzzle-solve and generally obsess with other tragics. After all, we are talking about the man who invented the concept of nerdsniping :)

The realtime factor is one of the most important but also maddening aspects of the OTC. It's not something you can just bookmark and watch later (well of course we all do to some extent, but being here for an ONG is the best part). It's the reason I've found myself spending a lot less time on other things, which is why I was interested in how others are prioritising. I'm glad to see people like StormAngel and jjjdavidson are still achieving amazing things, despite or even because of the OTT :)

ttscp wrote:The slanted cross piece (transit, telescope, whatever) disappeared starting at 2595 (geekwagon).

I think Cueball just turned it around, so it's on a different angle now.

And I'm sure the dust and glinting is just the local Trigonometry Enthusiasts' Annual Jamboree... they're stirring up dust by racing each other to get their theodolites to the designated spots... right?

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:33 am UTC

ttscp wrote:The slanted cross piece (transit, telescope, whatever) disappeared starting at 2595 (geekwagon).

I'm not sure what you're seeing?
Here's the change from 2093 to 2094 (per mscha, so that's 2094 to 2095 GW ):

and 2094 to 2095 (i.e. 2095 to 2096 GW):

Don't see any changes except for Cuegan movement?

Spoiler:
2093_vs_2094.png

2094_vs_2095.png
Go Minim go!

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:39 am UTC

It strikes me that the tower would be a safe place to sleep tonight, likely to be free of meowlpies and other predators. Maybe they should do that so they can both sleep together, rather than taking turn and turn about down on the ground.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:49 am UTC

I'm worried about that bag left down there on the left. It's going to fall off the cliff, or get stolen by some robbermolpy, or some such.

Otherwise, my guess for the device is that its some kind of signalling instrument such as a heliograph.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:55 am UTC

He moved it between these two frames earlier.
So why Do they want to know what its pointing at since they pointed it themselves!

Spoiler:
change.png

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”