1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 am UTC

Home is where the castlONG is...

That's new information!
They haven't been walking for days before they built the sandcastle.
Also, the map is basically correct. (Or at least, Cueball thinks so. For what that's worth.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:06 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Image
He moved it between these two frames earlier.
So why Do they want to know what its pointing at since they pointed it themselves!

Spoiler:
change.png

Oh, missed that, thanks.

In their shoes I would want to know what it had been pointed at. That's not what she said, but maybe she didn't notice that Cueball had moved it.

Ninja'ed by Randall
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:17 am UTC

Dust? I predict a utility vehicle.
Picture 33.png
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Re: See?

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:46 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Also, Cake Time update; it now has a self-update URL and won't keep yelling at you everytime you reload the page :D Grab it here.

Just a tip, Aluisio, if you name the script "RoundPostAlert.user.js" instead of "RoundPostAlert.js" then greasemonkey will recognize it as soon as a user's browser navigates to it. Just thought I'd let you know. Otherwise its a few more hoops to jump through to install it.

Thank you. Should be double-updated automatically (one to change the update url, other to grab the new script).
(Compile CoffeeScript to JavaScript? DIIYOB.)

⁴!
However, I don't think it'll warn if a user has 499 posts, and next time you refresh she has 501 post, does it?
(That seems feasible, but you'd have to keep track of every user's current post count.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:57 am UTC

mscha wrote:Home is where the castlONG is...
Spoiler:

That's new information!

Ooh that is new! And very edifying.

Prediction: having delivered that useful snippet of information, Megan will now say "Nah, I don't think it's a weapon. It's for looking at stuff."

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

GASSONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Ahmet_Cesaret

Postby Ahmet_Cesaret » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

First post! (And a seaish one at that, if you are bumping it I will like it to be spoilered)

Hi Y'all I've been lurking since the start of Time, yes I have read it all, because I have enough free time for that.

I just delurked because i wanted to say something that's been bugging me about the Mountain Era, it is too long! I know thats not enough reason to divide it, but I think there are some actual reasons to divide it at a specific point, here they are:

1) Geography: The last part of the Era is set on a plateau near the top, while the rest is climbing.

2) Plotwise there is a important point: The Fluttermolpy Discussion, in where Cueball says (resumed, not quoted) ''we must go back'' and Megan says ''we must keep on going '' ,she gets her way, and we get a new explicit goal, reach the mountain top.

3) Most importantly we get a atmosphere change that starts, in that same period, with the raptor attack on the Fluttermolpy, continues with the raptorcat attack on Cueball and stays on Megan's wound. Before that nothing that violent or scary had happened on the OTC.

Thats why I suggest to divide the Mountain Era in two eras. The Mountain Side era, starting where the actual Mountain Era does, and ending on The Fluttermolpy Discussion period. And the Mountain Plateau era starting in The Weird Tree Period and ending where the Mountain Era does.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

Cueball talking about this device (and I'm very much sold on rule110's theory of a survey tower / surveyor's transit ) being possibly a weapon is interesting. It means a telescope is quite a bit beyond their level of knowledge. Yet he considers (or probably he's not really serious?) such a compact device to be potentially dangerous over very large distances, which would be very high tech.
So the technology they possess themselves seems to be not too far advanced beyond steam bottles, yet they consider it likely that the Otherpeople may have quite fancy stuff at their disposal. Have there been earlier encounters? Have they seen Otherpeople using things they didn't understand?
Earlier Megan said she was surprised they hadn't been "seen by any people yet" (not a more straightforward "we haven't seen any people yet"). Makes it sound like an encounter would be more notable for the others than for Cuegan. So what's their relationship to the Otherpeople? In any case they didn't hesitate to look for them to get help for Megan... Hmm. A lot to think about...
Go Minim go!

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Scene 14

[close-up - exterior, day: The Pope, in the blitzRocket]

{P966} Wow. This pulled the rusty nail out of my brain which the astronomy domine had driven in.
"Probably the fourteenth episode yet" Onion AV Club.
"An achievement" Times Review of Treads.
"Keep an eye on ucim" NSA.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
Exodies wrote:And: Megan was not injured by the Leo, she fell on something.

Also, leo=lion, not keyboard.

Well you may be right, but I'm not going to hold it against you.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:FigurONG out what things are

Spoiler:

No, NO! Don't touch that button!.....

AluisioASG wrote:
HES wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:See?
See?
See?
(Inside joke; usually spoken by people before they die.)

I'd be concerned if it was spoken by people after they die, though with all this zombie talk...

Well, that too. Those who are dead, are not dead, they're just living in my head...

As it happens, there are some cultures who believe in two deaths. The first is body death, the second is when everyone who met you personally dies, and there are no direct memories of you.

BlitzGirl wrote:And now it's Time to go...

Funny -- that doesn't look much like Y - M - C - A :mrgreen:

Edited to avoid a TRIPLE POST. What the hay - is everyone sleeping in, or already off at the beach or something? It's lonely here!
Last edited by cellocgw on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

OK - now that I've finished icing the hedgemolpy which I was in the middle of before, some thoughts on the implications of the castle being "home"...

Cueball wrote:If nothing else, I'm glad we found this river. It's not much farther from home than ours is at its driest.

So we now know this means that the distance from the castle to the Neat River is not much greater than the distance that their local ephemeral river retreats from shore when it dries up. Right? Which seems like quite a long way to walk for fresh water, if we are assuming an absence of modern plumbing facilities.

Megan wrote:Not a lot of us by the shore this time of year. A few kids, maybe.

This one has been bugging me since Megan said it. "Not a lot of us" seemed an odd phrase, given that they've been all on their own the whole time. Who is "us"? When they set off on their journey, 'getting some bags' was all the preparation they seemed to need - they didn't mention telling anybody they were going, and they haven't talked about anyone expecting them back. The "us" seems to imply a small, tight-knit community (which is what you'd expect in a society with pre-modern technology); the casual wandering off implies the opposite.

Also "this time of year" was puzzling. If it's the right time of year to lie on the beach, build sandcastles and sleep outside at night without shelter, why wouldn't you be down by the shore? Well, if you have to hike for days to reach fresh water, then that makes more sense. Maybe "us" just means "crazy people who stay near the shore in the dry season".

So the impression I'm getting is that Cuegan are pretty much loners. There are people around ("in the hills" and possibly where the tents are), but for whatever reason, these two prefer to stay on their own. Maybe they don't need to be close to the river because they have the steam bottle? (Ugh.)

Zorin_75 wrote:Earlier Megan said she was surprised they hadn't been "seen by any people yet" (not a more straightforward "we haven't seen any people yet").

If they normally do their own thing, aware of other communities but not part of them, then maybe they are used to being "seen by people" - people whom they generally tend to avoid.

Maybe they've been exiled for their heretical habits of trying to figure out how things work?

Final thought: if/when they meet the Dusty Glinting people, will they be stick figures or silhouettes??

hajo

Postby hajo » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:Megan will now say "Nah, I don't think it's a weapon. It's for looking at stuff."

I think the device is most likely a telescope or theodolite.
But I wonder - if it turns out to be a weapon, would they use it to shoot Lucky ?
Just to secure the way back home... :mrgreen:

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Nothing too excitONG...
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Now I've seen the pictures, I too am sold on the idea of a survey tower. The site linked to earlier has a longer article on a steel variety called a Bilby tower with lots of photos.

A couple of thoughts:

I'm still a Randallversalist, but if the tower in the OTC is made of wood, it limits the most probable location considerably*: they were used mostly in the Western US, according to that article. It also limits the epoch: the timber ones stopped being used in the late 1920s, the steel ones in the mid-1980s.

The structure is also superficially similar to what Megan and Cueball built back at their castle.

*Edited to add: or maybe not. Here's one in Nepal:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Eutychus on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:Ok Random present for everyone.

Busy going though the wedding photos right now so thought I would share some cake with you guys.

Cake is beach themed with sand and all so its OTC related right?

Spoiler:
Cake.jpg

Very nice dress, too. Stylish.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:Cueball talking about this device (and I'm very much sold on rule110's theory of a survey tower / surveyor's transit ) being possibly a weapon is interesting. It means a telescope is quite a bit beyond their level of knowledge. Yet he considers (or probably he's not really serious?) such a compact device to be potentially dangerous over very large distances, which would be very high tech.
So the technology they possess themselves seems to be not too far advanced beyond steam bottles, yet they consider it likely that the Otherpeople may have quite fancy stuff at their disposal. Have there been earlier encounters? Have they seen Otherpeople using things they didn't understand?
Earlier Megan said she was surprised they hadn't been "seen by any people yet" (not a more straightforward "we haven't seen any people yet"). Makes it sound like an encounter would be more notable for the others than for Cuegan. So what's their relationship to the Otherpeople? In any case they didn't hesitate to look for them to get help for Megan... Hmm. A lot to think about...

I've been thinking along similar lines, but may be coming to different conclusions. They seem to at least be aware of advanced weapons or technology, even if they lack detailed knowledge. After several days of walking, their "home" should barely even be visible, even from a high vantage point─ their castle would be too minute for an eagle's vision─yet Cueball speaks casually of pointing the device at their home.

Just because he doesn't know how anything works, doesn't mean he's altogether unaware of science and technology. Even though I think he may be teasing Megan about "launching things at our castle" (after all, he joined in the trebuchet fun), he still doesn't seem to boggle at the idea of a fairly compact weapon that can operate over long distances─and Megan doesn't scoff at his suggestion; she merely questions the weapon's placement. They both seemed to treat the trebuchets (at various scales) as toys rather than serious weapons, much as we do today.

Note that before the weapons discussion, they seemed to think going to the Otherpeople a good idea. Are they hesitating now?

As for the device itself: Here's an 8x enlargement.
Once people started suggesting astronomical or surveying instruments, I thought it might be one of the types I've seen where the optics/mirrors/sights aren't completely enclosed, like a sextant. But, since "it looks like it's supposed to hold something," I now think it's a mounting for an instrument (not a weapon) that is removed when not in use, because of its value to thieves or to protect it from weather.
[Redundant spoiler ↓ is redundant]
Spoiler:
instrument.png
instrument.png (18.52 KiB) Viewed 15170 times
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

Suddenly, both of them very visibly turned to the right. Why? Is there something coming from that side? Did they just think something at the same time?

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

climbONG down

Edit: My emotions are torn. On one hand, I'm happy that we're moving to the dust/glinty things....ohhh shiny/people. On the other hand, I was also hoping for more talk of the instrument.
Last edited by TimeLurker on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Lyoug

Postby Lyoug » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

GoONG back down
ninja'd
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

Maybe this place is like Myst Island. If they'd found the telescope buried under the sand castle near the hut, they could put it in the transit, then aim it at the coordinates carved in code on the baobab tree. That would give them a sight on a hidden button on a rock slope, that opens a chamber with a linking book in it.

jjjdavidson wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:Cueball talking about this device (and I'm very much sold on rule110's theory of a survey tower / surveyor's transit ) being possibly a weapon is interesting. It means a telescope is quite a bit beyond their level of knowledge. Yet he considers (or probably he's not really serious?) such a compact device to be potentially dangerous over very large distances, which would be very high tech.

I've been thinking along similar lines, but may be coming to different conclusions. They seem to at least be aware of advanced weapons or technology, even if they lack detailed knowledge. After several days of walking, their "home" should barely even be visible, even from a high vantage point─ their castle would be too minute for an eagle's vision─yet Cueball speaks casually of pointing the device at their home.

Just because he doesn't know how anything works, doesn't mean he's altogether unaware of science and technology. Even though I think he may be teasing Megan about "launching things at our castle" (after all, he joined in the trebuchet fun), he still doesn't seem to boggle at the idea of a fairly compact weapon that can operate over long distances─and Megan doesn't scoff at his suggestion; she merely questions the weapon's placement. They both seemed to treat the trebuchets (at various scales) as toys rather than serious weapons, much as we do today.

Note that before the weapons discussion, they seemed to think going to the Otherpeople a good idea. Are they hesitating now?

As for the device itself: Here's an 8x enlargement.
Once people started suggesting astronomical or surveying instruments, I thought it might be one of the types I've seen where the optics/mirrors/sights aren't completely enclosed, like a sextant. But, since "it looks like it's supposed to hold something," I now think it's a mounting for an instrument (not a weapon) that is removed when not in use, because of its value to thieves or to protect it from weather.

I don't think Cueball is serious about the supposed weapon having long enough range to attack their castles. A weapon small enough to mount in the device would plausibly be effective in the area immediately around the tower, especially if they've seen guns. (It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to mount a small gun that way, but if they're not directly familiar with guns that wouldn't be obvious.)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:17 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Maybe this place is like Myst Island. If they'd found the telescope buried under the sand castle near the hut, they could put it in the transit, then aim it at the coordinates carved in code on the baobab tree. That would give them a sight on a hidden button on a rock slope, that opens a chamber with a linking book in it.
<snip>

Well, I guess that means they are heading back to be beach. We certainly are in for a wait then.
Voice of the Silent

jjjdavidson

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Maybe this place is like Myst Island. If they'd found the telescope buried under the sand castle near the hut, they could put it in the transit, then aim it at the coordinates carved in code on the baobab tree. That would give them a sight on a hidden button on a rock slope, that opens a chamber with a linking book in it.

As long as they don't see this:
Spoiler:
That game gave me the creeps...
Don't wait for me.
He won! He won! He won!

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

to the shiny thingONG

Edit to add some conversation: I always find it very dramatic when Megan just stands and stares into the distance. I don't know if it's the slow refresh rate per frame, but even her standing and looking at something seems foreboding. Like she'll next say "So, it has come to this."
Last edited by TimeLurker on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Voice of the Silent

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

Blitz progress: 739 of 1019
Into the mountains?, np 1696

So after a few xips away, I have returned and blized up to... 2NP behind where I was last signpost. Oh well, I suppose that's not too terrible.

I am beginning to wonder if I have been using improper etymology in describing my current quest. Is a Blitz defined as beginning the OTT from NP1 and reading up to the Present? If that's the case, then I fear I am merely ketchupping, though it might be the messiest ketchup on record by the time I'm done. I think for now I will continue calling it a Blitz until otherwise corrected.

Anyway, I had quite a few things to reply to, but I did most of my blitzing on my phone, which decided to die halfway through, losing all the tabs I had opened replies in.

Spoiler:
CasCat wrote:<snip>

(For the record, it took me approximately [heresy] seven Outside Days [/heresy] to Blitz the forum from page 1 to page 733; it's positively relaxing just to ketchup after a coma or work.

At first, that seemed extraordinarily high, but then I did the math. I have found that I blitz about 8NP/np, meaning if I could blitz for 16np/xip I would be able to blitz the entire OTT in a little less than 6xip.

Granted, you might blitz faster than I (I am probably not the fastest reader here) or just have oodles of opportunities to escape from the Outside (which I most certainly do not). Either way, I am jealous, yet encouraged, because that means that if I ever get a completely free wipend, I should be able to blitz through almost half of what I am currently behind. Only Time will tell.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:Blitz progress: 739 of 1019
Into the mountains?, np 1696

So after a few xips away, I have returned and blized up to... 2NP behind where I was last signpost. Oh well, I suppose that's not too terrible.

I am beginning to wonder if I have been using improper etymology in describing my current quest. Is a Blitz defined as beginning the OTT from NP1 and reading up to the Present? If that's the case, then I fear I am merely ketchupping, though it might be the messiest ketchup on record by the time I'm done. I think for now I will continue calling it a Blitz until otherwise corrected.
<snip>

As always, our standards are merely suggestions. From my viewpoint, the only difference between a Ketchup and a Blitz is the time it takes to complete. A Blitz is just a Ketchup that takes you more than one sitting to complete. Of course that is just one Waiter's opinion.
Voice of the Silent

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Good mornix...molpy up!

OK, a quick theory before I head out for the dip. So Cueball makes the connection between the object and a weapon. And specifically mentions launching stuff at the Sandcastle (since the implication is that they can see it from there using the object). I am in favor of the object being a theodolite. However, not for purposes of survey, but for calculating distance and trajectory. They know about trebuchets. If they know how to build a small one, someone knows how to build a very large one. Imagine, if you will, a large trebuchet set up near to where the tower stands. Now, imagine, that one wanted to launch a large missile with some amount of accuracy. A theodolite mounted on such a tower might serve as a spotting scope for helping to aim such a trebuchet. From such a height, and the slope of the mountain, such a weapon, I imagine, would have incredible range.

These are my thoughts for the morninx. Now for coffee, and then I must prepare kayaking.

And again, (I posted this a few pages back), to me a blitz is simply the act of traveling from the past, through every page, in an attempt to read it all. Where one starts does not necessarily matter. Well, you can't blitz through several pages only, that's just a ketchup. Not all ketchups are blitzes, but all blitzes are ketchups.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

megONG lookONG down
and now I must away. Wait well my friends.

Edit: Is Megan looking at her leg or that rock in front of her? If it's her leg maybe the bleeding is worse now that she climbed up and down the tower. If she's looking at the rock maybe it is odd in some way.

Prediction(s): If Megan gaze = leg then Megan dialog = "More blood is coming out." else if Megan gaze = rock then Megan dialog = "Neat, that rock is a different color than the others."
Voice of the Silent

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

Every time I check the OTC, it seems to be just one frame away from some major reveal. Then when I check it later, the prior frame wasn't a reveal at all, but *now* it seems just one frame away from some major reveal. I guess that's how GLR keeps us glued to our seats, waiting for it. Does anyone else get this impression?

Next thought: I really wish Megan had kept her thwacking stick! It's a dangerous world out there, as we now know, and it might have helped her leg wound by taking a bit of pressure off that leg, if she'd held it in the hand on the same side. The next time they're attacked, there may not be another stick handy. I would feel better if she kept it with her. Why would she just drop it? They obviously feel nervous about sleeping unprotected now.
Last edited by Tatiana on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:50 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:megONG lookONG down
and now I must away. Wait well my friends.

Edit: Is Megan looking at her leg or that rock in front of her? If it's her leg maybe the bleeding is worse now that she climbed up and down the tower. If she's looking at the rock maybe it is odd in some way.

Prediction(s): If Megan gaze = leg then Megan dialog = "More blood is coming out." else if Megan gaze = rock then Megan dialog = "Neat, that rock is a different color than the others."

Hmmm...her knee flexes outward ever so slightly from last frame to this frame, so I suspect she's looking at her leg.
Lost forever in time...

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Dialogue prediction for next frame:

Megan: "uh-oh".
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: Cake Time

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Also, Cake Time update; it now has a self-update URL and won't keep yelling at you everytime you reload the page :D Grab it here.

Just a tip, Aluisio, if you name the script "RoundPostAlert.user.js" instead of "RoundPostAlert.js" then greasemonkey will recognize it as soon as a user's browser navigates to it. Just thought I'd let you know. Otherwise its a few more hoops to jump through to install it.

Thank you. Should be double-updated automatically (one to change the update url, other to grab the new script).

⁴!
However, I don't think it'll warn if a user has 499 posts, and next time you refresh she has 501 post, does it?

Not yet.

mscha wrote:(That seems feasible, but you'd have to keep track of every user's current post count.)

I already do (for users in the pages already visited).

I will participate in a programming competition for the next two hours; just a training session, actually. Anyway, wish me luck :)
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote: (snippage) (Pulling out geology-buff hammer.) (Where's Parting_Lance when I need xem?) No scree under those sharp rocks, strikes me as odd. Is that a ziggurat? Or a molpy mound... The rocks are either layered (shale, etc, crumbly) or weathered sandstone. My money's on sandstone. Or basalt. Not granite, anyway. (No, I don't bet much, why do you ask?)

Still, that's where I'd put my money, if I were a betting 'lance, and remembered more of my bedrock geology (alas -- or perhaps huzzah!, as it's kept me gainfully steadily employed these seventeen year, by cracky -- I'm really a superficial geologist). Either basalt or sandstone (or maybe limestone) would be consistent both with relatively steep cliffs and with the "mesa".

As for scree, I'd expect to see lots more of it did I think this area had lots of freeze-thaw cycles, or just precipitation. But almost everything we've seen points more toward a semi-arid climate.

jjjdavidson wrote:partingLance's decree request from NP1013: Pictures of vintage scientific instruments. No pictures, but did you know that Geoffrey Chaucer, poet of the Canterbury Tales, wrote a lengthy treatise on the design and use of the astrolabe?
Thyn Astrolabie hath a ring to putten on the thombe of thi right hond in taking the height of thinges. And tak kep, for from henes forthward I wol clepen the heighte of any thing that is taken by the rewle "the altitude," withoute moo wordes.

(FTFY). I did not. That is intriguing. A proverbial Renaissance man, it would seem.

Near where I grew up in eastern Ontario, someone found, around 1867, an early-17th-century astrolabe. When I was young, a few people still stoutly maintained that it had been lost by the French explorer Samuel de Champlain. But this attribution is probably nonsense.

At least this made a little more sense than the inscription, crudely chiselled on a rock near a local lookout, and purportedly found in 1953, reading "Champlain Juin 2 1613." Yeah. Wow.

ETA:

jjjdavidson wrote:

As long as they don't see this:
Spoiler:
That game gave me the creeps...

Creepy, is right. I played that game (as well as the subsequent four), but never saw/found that little Easter egg, as the EW article calls it.

For sheer creepiness, though -- or an unnerving combination of creepiness and tedium -- nothing in the "official" games, for my money, rivalled the "Ages Beyond Myst" game (was the full title "Uru: Ages Beyond Myst"? I may have partly repressed the memory). Trudging around poorly-lit caverns in that ghastly underground city. I found that so unpleasant I eventually quit altogether; didn't even both looking online for hints.
Last edited by partingLance on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

Good luck, Aluisio! :) Molpy up!

ttscp wrote:Isn't anyone else worried about things glinting in the dust? Swords glint. Armor glints. An army on the march raises dust.
Knights Temporal, perhaps? Image

k.bookbinder wrote:And again, (I posted this a few pages back), to me a blitz is simply the act of traveling from the past, through every page, in an attempt to read it all. Where one starts does not necessarily matter. Well, you can't blitz through several pages only, that's just a ketchup. Not all ketchups are blitzes, but all blitzes are ketchups.

I usually say it the other way around - not all blitzes are ketchups, but all ketchups are blitzes - but that's because I view any act of reading the thread from the past to the present as a blitz (and a ketchup as a mini-blitz). But the terms are fluid, and people don't seem to mind which you use; they'll usually know what you mean. :)

Ahmet_Cesaret wrote:
Spoiler:
First post! (And a seaish one at that, if you are bumping it I will like it to be spoilered)

Hi Y'all I've been lurking since the start of Time, yes I have read it all, because I have enough free time for that.

I just delurked because i wanted to say something that's been bugging me about the Mountain Era, it is too long! I know thats not enough reason to divide it, but I think there are some actual reasons to divide it at a specific point, here they are:

1) Geography: The last part of the Era is set on a plateau near the top, while the rest is climbing.

2) Plotwise there is a important point: The Fluttermolpy Discussion, in where Cueball says (resumed, not quoted) ''we must go back'' and Megan says ''we must keep on going '' ,she gets her way, and we get a new explicit goal, reach the mountain top.

3) Most importantly we get a atmosphere change that starts, in that same period, with the raptor attack on the Fluttermolpy, continues with the raptorcat attack on Cueball and stays on Megan's wound. Before that nothing that violent or scary had happened on the OTC.
Thats why I suggest to divide the Mountain Era in two eras. The Mountain Side era, starting where the actual Mountain Era does, and ending on The Fluttermolpy Discussion period. And the Mountain Plateau era starting in The Weird Tree Period and ending where the Mountain Era does.

Hello, Ahmet! Nice to meet you!
Sounds reasonable to me, what do the wiki warriors think?

cellocgw wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:And now it's Time to go...

Funny -- that doesn't look much like Y - M - C - A :mrgreen:

Indeed not! :mrgreen: The musical accompaniment:
BlitzGirl wrote:C.O.M.A.
(to the tune of Y.M.C.A.)
Spoiler:
Cuegan, why you hiking around?
I said Cuegan, can't you cover some ground?
I said Cuegan, now you're making us frown
Kind of spacing out and crabby

Cuegan, there's a thing you should know
I said Cuegan, soon we'll all have to go
Though we Wait here, we have needs of the mind
It shuts down for quite a good Time...

Yes soon we'll have to go C.O.M.A.
We all give in to that C.O.M.A
We can drink some caffeine (no semen to enjoy)
But we all know that's just a ploy

We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, are you listening to me?
I said Cuegan, can't you get somewhere 3?
I said Cuegan, you can travel the streams
But you've got to know this one thing

Coma leaves us all overwhelmed
I said Cuegan, go discover a realm
And just go there, before C.O.M.A.
Forces all Timewaiters away

We all give in to that C.O.M.A.
We can stare at the screen
Think we have nerves of steel
But soon coma is all we feel

Cuegan, bring us out of our snooze
Bring us molpies, or some fancy new views
Build a castle, please don't leave us deprived
Before consciousness takes a dive

That's when we leave the OTT
Crying, "Cuegan, what have you done to me?
I've been putting off my C.O.M.A.!"
We're all feeling led quite astray

Yes now we have to go C.O.M.A.

C.O.M.A.
Cueball, Megan: Why you hiking around?
Cueball, Megan: Can't you cover some ground?

C.O.M.A.
Now we have to go C.O.M.A.
Cueball, Megan: Find some fancy new views!
Cueball, Megan: Now we're starting to snooze...

C.O.M.A....
C.O.M.A....
Zzz Zzz zz zz...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Edited to avoid a TRIPLE POST. What the hay - is everyone sleeping in, or already off at the beach or something? It's lonely here!

I was on a molpy run. This gentleman needed a ride to where he can find his forever home.
Coal.jpg
Coal.jpg (28.39 KiB) Viewed 14782 times

Ximenez wrote:Suddenly, both of them very visibly turned to the right. Why? Is there something coming from that side? Did they just think something at the same time?

I think it was considering the implications of the tower being a weapon, and what that means about going toward the dusty, glinting people.

Oh, and I'm enjoying the daily TdF updates. Learning things I never knew about it. C_G, are you just a fan, or do you have more of a connection? You certainly are well informed.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
I will participate in a programming competition for the next two hours; just a training session, actually. Anyway, wish me luck :)

Good luck! I do those from time to time, they're pretty fun and challenging usually. The most important thing to remember is to have fun :)

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

No comment on Megan's leg ONG:

Aw, handsome wolpy, SBN! Hope he gets a happy forever home soon.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:Next thought: I really wish Megan had kept her thwacking stick! It's a dangerous world out there, as we now know, and it might have helped her leg wound by taking a bit of pressure off that leg, if she'd held it in the hand on the same side. The next time they're attacked, there may not be another stick handy. I would feel better if she kept it with her. Why would she just drop it? They obviously feel nervous about sleeping unprotected now.

13. Maybe Cueball brought the stones in his bag? Probably not. I imagine there are sticks and rocks everywhere, and sticks are usually not strong enough to support someone walking.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:23 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:No comment on Megan's leg ONG:

Aw, handsome wolpy, SBN! Hope he gets a happy forever home soon.

He's going to a safe place, so he will. I don't know his story, but Dals are like Newfs in that a lot of people fall in love with the puppies, and can't handle them as adults. I get all my wolpies used, and try to help others when I can, and giving them a ride is an easy way to do that. We had a pleasant morning drive, and he's a bit closer to home.

Montov wrote:
Tatiana wrote:Next thought: I really wish Megan had kept her thwacking stick! It's a dangerous world out there, as we now know, and it might have helped her leg wound by taking a bit of pressure off that leg, if she'd held it in the hand on the same side. The next time they're attacked, there may not be another stick handy. I would feel better if she kept it with her. Why would she just drop it? They obviously feel nervous about sleeping unprotected now.

13. Maybe Cueball brought the stones in his bag? Probably not. I imagine there are sticks and rocks everywhere, and sticks are usually not strong enough to support someone walking.

I think that's why they should have brought the thwacking stick. It seemed pretty strong. Not sure it was long enough to work well as a walking stick though.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:As for the device itself: Here's an 8x enlargement.

If it is a theodolite, the counterargument is that the circles, the vernier scales, and the microscopes to read them are even more fragile and valuable than the telescope. It's hard to scribe angle measurements to arcsecond accuracy, which is what's needed for a first-class triangulation. Removing the telescope and leaving the circles in place would be pretty pointless.

On the other hand, a Parkhurst theodolite breaks down for storage and transport. The microscopes come off, and the telescope (attached to the elevation circle) separates from the azimuth circle. Even the lenses come off the ends of the telescope tubes for cleaning. (Purging the beamline with dry nitrogen and sealing it belongs to a later age.) So maybe someone came upon the setup, said, "Wowa, neatb, a spyglass! "and stole the telescope, leaving the circles in place.

a I don't remember the canonical footnote numbers.
b See a.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”