1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rule110

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

madock345 wrote:Something wrong? :( I Now I'm going to be worried *at least* until the next newpix. (is that it? Am I doing it right?)

Maybe he's been shorting himself on water? Time to use the steam bottle (ugh)!

(But now you only have to worry for at least three more minix.)

ETA: Cookie time!
Spoiler:
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Take a rest and have some homONGenized milk and chONGclate chip cookies

"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:ETA: Milk-and-cookies pope. This page shall have milk, cookies, or a combination of both.

In memory of the castle.
Spoiler:

Also, a moment of silence for my daughter's laptop, which succumbed to an excess of gravity. Anyone have any recommendations for sturdy laptops?
Edit: Feel free to PM, so as not to be too off-topic.
Last edited by SBN on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

What I've given up due to the OTC / OTT:
Playing in my favorite RP Sim on Second Life. :(

I actually feel quite bad about that, because I think I've only logged in once since the OTC began, and that was way at the beginning of it. I have a (minor) position in this RP Sim, and I've probably lost the title by now. I wouldn't know, since I haven't checked in for 3 months. This is the longest I've been away from the sim in .... 4-5 years. I'm an ADORABLE faery!

My Favorite NewPix:
This is a hard one (heheh, that's what she said!). If I think about what frame I'd most like on a T-Shirt, I guess I'd say 1503gw - The Wow Trees. Or 403gw - Megan and the mini-trebuchet.

GLR's Writing:
First, I will cite BlueCrab:
BlueCrab wrote:And since the GLR pays so much attention to the everything, we have hope that the OTC won't share certain of BSG's flaws. From what they said after the series was over the creators were substantially making it up as they went along, and they ended up with enough loose ends, lame explanations, and ‘just ignore that bit’ details to drive a body crazy.

I think this is all as new to GLR as it is to us. He hasn't ever written an xkcd comic story like this, i.e. this whole idea of story arcs; beginning, middle, end; Chekov's gun etc. So, from that perspective, I think it is very possible for him to make mistakesH. I don't think he has actually written the entire thing, frame for frame, in advance (although I agree he probably has a sense of where he's going). But I suspect he doesn't have the benefit of a first draft, second draft, etc. So I wouldn't be surprised if there are, indeed, ways in which his story contains those same kinds of BSG flaws.

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Also, a moment of silence for my daughter's laptop, which succumbed to an excess of gravity. Anyone have any recommendations for sturdy laptops?

I had that problem once. It was not-so-happy times for me. My sister had a Toshiba that fared well, but I don't know how tank-like they are anymore.
As for cookies, gingerbread is not my favorite, but here's one I made a while back:

Last edited by nsub1 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Maybe it's like Kalahari. Cueball, oozing ovenly, knows it ends soon.

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by Kieryn on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:22 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Looks like the brain-eating amoeba has finally gotten to Cueball (again).

Yeah, well, you know: "if at first you don't succeed..."

"... don't try sky-diving."

Thanks, folks. Try the veal edit: cookies
Last edited by cellocgw on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
cellocgw wrote:<snip> And just wondering, but since Cuegan clearly are aware of the existence of lots of other people at various points pre-beach, and we know they have a home, does their civilisation consider an absence of many (local) days nothing unusual, or are C & M ( if you write "M & C" I only can think of 'milk and cookies')...

Well, now I'm predatorily hungry. Guess I'll have to add my online-avatar-existence to the list of those proposing marriage to you, BlitzGirl. Love the artwork.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

hamjudo wrote:Assuming the astronomy speculation is correct on the wiki. Are there any suitably placed basins that could be Cuegan's sea? No one but Randall can know how much of the Earth's water will be in the polar ice caps in the Randallverse in Cuegan's time. So describe where sea level would need to be for your basin to flood with ocean water.

Eleven thousand years provides plenty of times for volcanoes and ice ages to sculpt a planet to form new basins. Even without major events, the Niagara Falls will become the Niagara Rapids once it erodes away the Niagara Escarpment.

I disagree about your last statement, eleven thousand years is just enough to get into the next ice age, except that global warming has almost certainly forced that one to be skipped. And it's not nearly enough time for geological processes like volcanoes or continental drift to have any significant effect. Eleven thousand years is enough time for significant amount of ice to either form or to melt, depending on where our climate actually goes from here, and melting is more likely by far. So I think we can significantly raise or slightly lower global sea levels, but apply no other geological transformations.

So where does that leave us? Check out the Western Interior Seaway from the late cretaceous: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Interior_Seaway. If we melt most of the ice in Antarctica and Greenland, which seems like a probable result after a few centuries of global warming, we could bring something like this back.

Looking at the map, how about we choose a point at the tip of southern Illinois, where the seaway forms a bit of a peak jutting into the heartland. Why there? Because I think there would be extremely weak tides at that location. Sitting at the northern tip of a shallow body of water, there would be little room for the water to slosh to the East or West, which is what forms the tides. We might be on the edge of the Mississippi or Ohio river valleys, which could mean a couple hundred feet of elevation change before reaching a large flat plain.

Of course, this puts our pair at a body of water that connects to the whole ocean. And even with the worst case hysterical predictions of global warming, I think we're going to be measuring sea level rise in inches per year, not inches per week.

Ok, so what could cause an extremely rapid rise in world ocean levels? I was about to say I can't think of anything, but then I did. The thing about the massive glaciers that rest on Antarctica is that many of them are grounded below sea level. And by 'many', I mean most of western Antarctica. The scariest global warming scenarios is that warm water is able to get between the ice and the rock and cause accelerated melting from below. As things exist now, these ice sheets are blocking more glaciers, ones sitting on higher elevation rock, from descending downhill and reaching the sea. But if you melt the blocking ice from below, it suddenly floats free and can get out of the way. The combined effect is that a ridiculous amount of land ice is able to rapidly flow into the sea, which is where rapid sea level rise will come from. We've already experienced huge ice sheets breaking up in a matter of weeks, though these are smaller external ice sheets rather than the thicker ones in the core of the continent (Larson B sheet collapse in 2002).

So, could a single massive ice sheet collapse event raise world ocean levels at a rate of inches per day over several days? I suspect not, but it might be interesting to get a more detailed analysis, one with actual math involved.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Somebody just make a database converting the various human-readable frame numbers to their filenames (and perhaps Randall Standard Time post times, if we want to show that and/or interframe times along with embedded images), and make a simple interface that will return BBCode to link to or embed the specified image(s) (either directly the images, or any or all of the other sites), given a frame number and a numbering system (or even given a geekwagon/Aubronwood URL). I say image(s) because even a given frame number and numbering system could refer to either the current image with the hash on xkcd, or an older mustard/apocryphal version hosted elsewhere. Then instead of referring to frames by ambiguous numbers and letting people look up the images themselves, we can quickly and simply link to/embed them, leaving the frame number as just a hidden implementation detail. I mean it's nice to have a human-readable frame number to refer to frames by, but if the people reading the frame numbers have to go to some effort to remind themselves exactly which frame it was anyway, it may as well just be the hash.

At least partly, you got what you wanted even before I read your message. Image
Good idea to make it easy to embed in BBCode! I just added that to my viewer.
I'm less enthusiastic about the idea to always refer to the image by hash. That's fine for computers, but doesn't really work for humans.
Sure, most walking frames are boring, but in af0994255c6a6b6452d6e5ba046bd4823e4d2c62e33d1fc78d97ef1137d818d1, the way Cueball's head frames the mustard in the ground is pure perfection and -

Ximenez wrote:It would be nice, though, if the default URL was the hash of a frame, not its assigned number. I mean, when you look at NP2639 (your number), the default URL would be http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/2f8afdec41 ... b7e243bbe7. And then, after clicking the ">2630>" button below, you would go to http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/133e58558c ... 2208ef969c. That way, it won't be necessary to copy/paste a hash to get one of those URLs. (The idea, of course, is that if we link to the hashes rather than the numbers, it won't matter which number is assigned to a given frame in the future.)

You raise a valid point, partly the same as Angelastic. I'd still rather not, though, to keep the URLs as plain and simple as possible. (Also, if I'd do that, I really should also change the labels on the buttons from frame numbers to hashes, and that won't work, obviously.
But no worries, I have no intention of changing the standard for any past frames. The only reason to change the standard is if the newpix to Outside time ratio changes again, and that will only affect future frames (or at most a handful of frames right after this happens.)

hajo wrote:I think that the long table should not be right at the "startpage" http://xkcd.mscha.org
because that needs quite some time to load.
Maybe a separate page for the index, or several - e.g. 1-500, 501-1000, etc.
Then, the startpage could be used for some introduction, and some links to notable frames.

Yeah, as Time moves on, the start page is becoming a bit unwieldy...
I'll need to do something about that, but I don't know what, yet. Probably won't happen in the coming 5 dix, but perhaps that's a good project for next wixend.

Thanks for the nice words (and the promotion to PageBishop!), y'all!
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Rule110

Re: Starting the Cueganid

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:I came out of coma with Latin hexameters in my head.

Ah, that kind of thing happens to you too? Some of the verses from some of my filks (especially Madagascarville and I've Got a Theory) wouldn't leave me alone until I wrote the rest.

Anyone else want to help work out how Virgil might have told the story of Time?

[This post is edited now: with scansion I was obsessing:
Latin hexameters filled my head as I came out of coma.
Would others care to assist in a better pastiche of old Virgil?]

You've done a really excellent job, you either have quite a knack for this or you spent a lot of time on word choices (or both). The rhyme is smoothly unforced as a result.

It's been a long time since I read Virgil (and only in translation, and probably only excerpts; my teachers consigned him to a distant orbit around Homer). But it appears what you wrote would fit the expectations for a prologue, and as such doesn't appear to need any changes. So, what would be your plan for continuing from there? Should the main body start in media res and document their adventures scene by scene? Padding out with detailed "donning their armor" scenes isn't likely to work here, but two hundred verses describing a sand castle ("many were its towers and battlements: firstly the northmost turret grand / with crenellations that numbered four, and walls of finest feldspar sand...") should be quite do-able, if anyone would ever want to read it...

Spoiler:
Megan and Cueball I sing, forced by the Sea's big expansion,
And by the pen of great Randall, fleeing their sandcastle mansion,
Trekking off to the unknown, far tracing the Sea's northern shore,
Then up the banks of the River, long days their backpacks they bore,
And in the meowlpy encounter, ere they won through to the summit,
Ere the brave Megan's stick thwacked and the meowlpy ran fast away from it,
Wounds she sustained, and so Cueball, resourceful though far he did roam,
Bound up her stick with a flag he had brought to remind them of home,
Where la Petite had appeared, conveying an aura of myst'ry,
Clouding the fate of their castle, and setting the scene for this hist'ry.

Muse! Now tell us the meaning: the purpose and cause let us know
For the tall wowtrees and meowlpies that never together did grow:
For the bright stars that now show us the wanderers temperate clime,
And by their Polar precession, place us in a far-future Time
Relate now to us the cause of the water's unfortunate rising:
Tell us who built the vineyard and left the shack so surprising!
But to Waiters' minds, admonition appears, still compelling:
"Wait for it" is the command: Randall nothing further is telling.
Time after Time...

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Blindposting from NewPage 1019.

After about 60 newpix in the outside I'm now into the second session of my mini-blitz and should be back in the present soon enough. Thanks to the one-two punch of my live wallpaper and mscha's RSS feed I have managed to keep abreast of events in the OTC, though not the OTT.

It's interesting to read all the speculation in the past whilst knowing what the future holds. It was also very odd to watch Time go by without having the commentary I am so used to!

See you all soon.

Oh and the LiveWallpaper got another hotfix today for those of you using it. There are a few worthwhile bug fixes in there.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Ashaman

Postby Ashaman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Ashaman wrote:So where does that leave us? Check out the Western Interior Seaway from the late cretaceous: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Interior_Seaway. If we melt most of the ice in Antarctica and Greenland, which seems like a probable result after a few centuries of global warming, we could bring something like this back.

Ok, the map I linked to is apparently not very likely in the near geological future. Here's a more plausible link, where someone has done actual math and ice volume calculations: http://www.globalwarmingart.com/wiki/Special:SeaLevel

Assuming 10,000 years of warmer climate, the 70m rise in sea levels (up to the dark green limit) is what I'm looking at, but that puts us at northern Arkansas, not quite to my first guess of southern Illinois. Still, it's a big shallow sea that we could be at the northern limit of.

The other problem with my above speculation is that we can't have a massive ice shelf collapse event in Antarctica if we've already melted all that ice to get the sea levels in the right place. We've already run out of ice.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Out of oxygONG?

It's not that high, is it?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Out of oxygONG?
Spoiler:

Temperature and oxygen differences appear to point to the vertical distance being off by maybe a factor of 5, despite what our panoramists would make of the frames.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Maybe the future world not only has rising sea issues but lower oxygen levels as well...

The only other options are that we missed much of the climbing frames or GLR is not only playing tricks with compressed/expanded time but also with height/distance.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Indeed, Cuegan has acted before like they are far higher in altitude than the panorama-stitching suggests ("It's colder up here").

cellocgw wrote:Well, now I'm predatorily hungry. Guess I'll have to add my online-avatar-existence to the list of those proposing marriage to you, BlitzGirl. Love the artwork.

:) Thanks, it was mostly just copypasta again.

For pagepope: a mountain of cookies (fortune cookies):
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

sford

Postby sford » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

How about this? 50m of altitude in the atmosphere is nothing. Barely even an ear pop. But 50m under water is another thing. Maybe they are mer-people.

"What about the sea and rivers shown earlier?"

They're in a huge cave system and like to suspend themselves upside down. The "sea" and "rivers" were just air. That's why it tasted so bad to them. The reason the "sea" level is rising is that it is actually falling very quickly, allowing more and more air to enter the cave system. Probably somebody pulled the drain plug. As they climb the "mountain", they're actually going deeper in the sea. Out of breath? O2 levels fall as you go deeper.

DON'T YOU SEE??? IT ALL FITS!!!!!!!

susanoodin

Postby susanoodin » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

something just occurred to me, since they do not seem to know that up on the mountains = less oxygen = harder time breathing enough:
What if there was a world, where everyone got sciency and technology stuff, like how the sea works and why the air is thinner up on the mountain, more or less intuitively, so that's not something you need to teach in school, instead they teach things like social interaction, how to make art etc. If there were then people in this world that do not get the technology intuitively, I think they might appear somewhat like Cuegan.
SBN wrote: ..., but then maybe we don't know enough yet. (But that's what the start of finding out looks like.)

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

sford wrote:

How about this? 50m of altitude in the atmosphere is nothing. Barely even an ear pop. But 50m under water is another thing. Maybe they are mer-people.

They're in a huge cave system and like to suspend themselves upside down. The "sea" and "rivers" were just air. That's why it tasted so bad to them. The reason the "sea" level is rising is that it is actually falling very quickly, allowing more and more air to enter the cave system. Probably somebody pulled the drain plug. As they climb the "mountain", they're actually going deeper in the sea. Out of breath? O2 levels fall as you go deeper.

Or the sea is like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzUEr7uMnXU
Image- Kieryn

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

sford wrote:

What about the stars huh? HUH? DIDN'T THINK SO!

Ha, that's actually one of the most creative theories I've heard yet, semencancercoffeebaconbabiesonice notwithstanding. But do mer-people have legs? I thought they all had weird fish tails or fins coming off of their heads

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

It might not be that high, but maybe they are.

Spoiler:
Image- Kieryn

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:

You have to be doing strenuous athletics or measuring your performance, or have a health problem, to notice the decreased oxygen at a few thousand feet high. By eight thousand feet or so, anyone will notice just walking around. So they're somewhere in between, which is completely consistent with the time they've spent hiking uphill and climbing. The scenes have to be leaving out a lot of distance, or else they easily could have walked the entire distance since the shore after the fade-out in a few hours.

Or they're falling in love.
Time after Time...

madock345

Postby madock345 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

I have to admit, they do act quite high. I think it's most likely that we just missed a lot of the climbing scenes.
"As the size of an Explosion increses the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approches zero"
-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick
Spoiler:
ethereal_fire wrote:madock345, I like your sig : )

Qwerty.55 wrote:I like your new recursive sig even better than before.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

BytEfLUSh wrote:Yeah, but I guess "chirp" was used as a generic word, I don't think it actually replaced an existing word. :)

{P978}A generic word? Bloody hell.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

sford

Postby sford » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:What about the stars huh? HUH? DIDN'T THINK SO!

Um ... um ... (*sound of google being revved up*)

Ever hear of bioluminescent plankton? Yeah, that's the ticket! Or a school of these guys moving veeeeeeery slooooooowly.

As for legs ... feelers of course. ;-)

(BTW, would the normal custom be to hot-link those pics?)

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Feeling's gettin' strONGer/Music's gettin' lONGer too/Music is flashin' me/I want to, I want to, I want to take you higher

edit: didn't mean to click on this. must be time to coma....
Last edited by fhorn on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" TdF Update

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

Stage 9 of the TdF ended late this morning (in the US). The leaders of the GC are unchanged with one exception. The day's winner was Dan Martin from Ireland, riding for Garmin Sharp. The finish was on a fast downhill in which he and second place finisher Jakob Fuglsang of Denmark (Astana team) outran the Yellow Jersey's group and all of the likely GC contenders.
Spoiler:
The conventional wisdom this morning is that the yellow jersey holder, Chris Frooome, would lead all the way to Paris (in two weeks). During the day that was thrown into serious doubt as had to struggle without his team, due to poor team management. He also started the day with the right to wear Polka Dots, but can't wear both, so the second place rider, Pierre Rolland, who was tied for points wore the jersey, but as the day progressed, Rolland won it for himself and has a 16 point lead in that category. The sprint classification was not affected today.

The racing today was very chaotic/exciting. There was an early break, then another, and another... In the normal course of things, Froome's team (SKY) should have totally controlled the race, keeping together and chasing down all serious breakaways. In fact, SKY was spread all over the course and yesterday's second place finisher, and second in the GC, Richie Porte finished in 60th place, losing almost 18 minutes. He is now in 33rd place overall with a deficit of 18 and a half minutes.

Due to his strength in such a race (five big climbs) Froome was never more than a minute or so behind the leaders, but without his team he had to depend on the desire of other teams to catch the (ever changing) leaders. Movistar is a Spanish team, and the stage is along the border with Spain. Movistar's Alejandro VALVERDE was in third place at the start of the day. Movistar wanted to put him in yellow. So they led a merciless chase, controlling the other riders. Froome was able to take advantage of this aggressiveness, as were the other riders with hopes to win the GC in Paris. Most of the big names finished just 20 seconds behind Martin. Cadel Evans had a scare, but got back to this group at the end.

Fuglsang and Martin broke away a bit over 3km from the top of the last climb and cooperated totally to hold off the field, until the last seconds. In such a situation, with just two riders, it becomes like a track race with the second rider having the advantage. From there you can accelerate while the first rider isn't looking and be going fast enough to pass without the likelihood of a quick enough reaction to be caught. This is what happened today with Martin getting the jump just ahead of a sharp left turn.

Note that in bike racing, you win going uphill, not downhill (except for sprinters - different game). If you can get a jump going up, it is hard to catch you. Fuglsang and Martin made this happen. Riders are extremely attentive to their opponents on the uphill to avoid getting left.

A very large number of racers got mentioned today for being on the attack (in the lead group) since it was so chaotic. Lead for a while, fall back into the bunch, try again. Over and over.

At the end of the day Froome is 1'25" ahead of Valverde with Contador in 6th with just under 2 minutes deficit. Not big gaps, but you don't want them to increase. Movistar spent a lot of energy today to little effect, though they do have 3 riders in the top 10 overall. Sky has to get itself together to be successful.

A note on times: When a group crosses the finish line all riders in the group get the same time as the first rider. This is to prevent unsafe riding at the finish. If there is less than a measurable second between you and the rider ahead, you get the same time. So the two leaders have the same time and the next 19 all have the same 20 second deficit. But for the GC riders that is as good as winning (except for the prizes) since today's two leaders don't figure in GC.

Note how there are several simultaneous races within the TdF and the other big stage races, each with its own strategies and tactics.

The sprinters today lost 20-25 minutes in the GC, but will have their day on Tuesday. The last rider over the line was at 26 min 20 sec.

Two riders didn't start this stage: Rohan Denis (Garmin) and Michael Schar (BMC). Denis finished last yesterday and Schar crashed in Stage 7. Three others dropped out as the day went along. Dmitri Murayev (Astana) leaves his team only five remaining members. Benjamin Noval (Saxo-Tinkoff) and Ivan Jose Guiterrez (Movistar) dropped out when the going got steep on the third climb.

There is no race tomorrow. It is a rest day, though riders usually ride, but not so intensely. Tuesday at 1300(Continental) the TdF will cross the neck of the Brest peninsula in a rolling, fast course with no serious climbs. The sprinters will get to play again for 197km
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

yappobiscuits

Molpy back!

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

*Blindposting from 1005*

Hey xuys, I'm back 8-)
Had a very nice time in London and now I'm back in the not-so-frozen North - seems summer has finally come, the past few dips have been scorching. Before now we've had only rain and cloud and the occasional not-so-bad dip.

Anyway... *looks at pile of ketchup* ...just over 20 pages. Not so bad. See you soon in the future :mrgreen:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

We have established that the GLR wills it so that we do not see certain events which may be experienced by Cuegan. We did not see them sleep, before, because it was deemed unnecessary. Therefore, I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that there are portions of the journey which we do not see (as has already been suggested). They may have climbed much higher than our stitching shows.

Another theory is that their caloric intake is insufficient. We have not seen them eat very much but then again, see above. However, perhaps we have not seen them eat very much because, well, they are not eating very much. If so, exhaustion could be setting in. Malnutrition can lead to shortness of breath.

Thanks for the TdF update Charlie!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Kieryn

Re: Molpy back!

Postby Kieryn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:*Blindposting from 1005*

Hey xuys, I'm back 8-)
Had a very nice time in London and now I'm back in the not-so-frozen North - seems summer has finally come, the past few dips have been scorching. Before now we've had only rain and cloud and the occasional not-so-bad dip.

Anyway... *looks at pile of ketchup* ...just over 20 pages. Not so bad. See you soon in the future :mrgreen:

If I miss it... happy 400 YappoB!

Molpy down.
Image- Kieryn

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

Yay, thanks for adding that feature, mscha!

mscha wrote:I'm less enthusiastic about the idea to always refer to the image by hash. That's fine for computers, but doesn't really work for humans.
That's exactly why we need (and you made) a web page to translate all these different proprietary frame numbers into a link to the hash. It's like looking up a person by their name (with or without middle name, maiden name, address to distinguish them from people with similar names, etc) to find their unique identifier. The unique identifier (like the primary key in a database table) is not something that should mean anything to humans, because if it does mean something then it ends up having to be changed (or changed from a number to a number with a letter) when mustard or meteors are discovered. And also it needs to be the same across all the different systems, which is unlikely to happen with frame numbers at this point, but is already the case of the hashes. So it should be possible for a human to find the right frame using any of the existing somewhat-human-readable identifiers, and then easily link to/embed it using the only unambiguous identifier (either the hash or whatever the 'canonical' URL to a mustard frame is) so that if the frame numbers on the other systems change, or if someone isn't sure which version of a mentioned frame number is meant, the correct image will still be linked, at the canonical URL given to us mortals by GLR himself. Nobody will be actually referring to the images by their hashes, but ideally they won't refer to them by numbers either; they'll just show/link to the frames themselves (which will usually have hashes in the URL, but nobody needs to see that.)

moody7277 wrote:Temperature and oxygen differences appear to point to the vertical distance being off by maybe a factor of 5, despite what our panoramists would make of the frames.

There's only one obvious solution. Cue is five times the height of a normal human. The molpies are similarly oversized. And if the beesnakes are that big, it can only mean that the air has the higher oxygen levels it had hundreds of millions of years ago. The air at their current height is, then, actually pretty good for present-day humans such as us, but Cuegan are huge and also adapted to the higher oxygen levels, so they're still out of breath.

I couldn't decide on a favourite frame until someone gave their favourite as being the one they'd most want on a T-shirt. For me, that would be this one (bbcode copied from mscha's page) :

Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

MattTheTubaGuy

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

A random thought about the rising tide/sea levels, it is obviously not tides if it is still rising after about a day, so it could actually be a large lake.
If they are beside a large lake, the rising sea could just be a flood caused by heavy rain in a different place.
As I have stated before, due to leap seconds, it is not possible to determine what longitude they are at, unless Randall used Stellarium to do the stars, in which case it might be the USA any way.
Assuming they are in the USA, considering how far in the future they are, the climate would likely be quite different, so they could be in the middle of the Rockies (a larger Great Salt Lake maybe?)

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

WONDERONG

Ketchedup.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

charlie_grumbles

Re: 1190: "Time" Theories

Postby charlie_grumbles » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

I'm wondering about the current discussion in the OTC. It is hard to imagine they've climbed high enough (on earth) to have breathing difficulties, since the going is easy. You don't really feel any thing at 1500m-5000ft and barely anything up to 2500m-9000ft. unless you are working hard. Maybe it isn't earth after all.

Maybe there is a LOT we haven't seen. Well, we know that's true, as others have just been mentioning.

Maybe it is the dust that is causing the problem with breathing.

The sun looked bigger at the sunset, though I think that was diffraction through clouds, but maybe it went nova a few centuries back and radically changed earth. Gene Wolfe's Torturer series (marvelous) has this premise. Fewer people, radiation induced change in the environment, some of the atmosphere blown away. No more glaciers, etc.

Instead of more oxygen in the atmosphere, perhaps the nitrogen load has increased. I sort of recall reading recently that it wouldn't take much of an increase to cause serious problems for life on the planet.

Or maybe it is just a made-up place with its own physics/biology/...; an amalgam of different ideas of interest to GLR.

Another (far out) idea is that the "personal time" of Cuegan is not the same as the geologic passing of time in this world. So what is "days" to them, is "eons" to the world around them. Or that the world is closely orbiting a black hole, distorting distance and time.

Maybe when one of us gets the right formulation he/she will get a PM from GLR saying "shhhhh" or "got it".
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

IceIsNice

Postby IceIsNice » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:WONDERONG

Cueball: "I wonder if the air up here is different."

Wow. For people who don't seem to know much about the world, they're doing OK. That leap of intuition is the stuff of genius. No "the air is big and can do what it wants to." Most of the time, they probably never have to think about the air. It's not something you see, it's something you take for granted. And yet, here is Cueball, honing in on the explanation. Maybe we've underestimated him.
Hi! Probably.

suzi

Postby suzi » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

I think, regardless of when/where this takes place, part of what GLR is doing is showing us what it feels like to have a world without information. Cueball and Megan are obviously observant, intelligent, and resourceful humans, but they don't have exactly those resources we are frantically using to piece together their world. We have access to information that they don't have, but it's nothing we know inherently. If you had never been told about shortness of breath at a high altitude, or never seen a bird feeding chicks before, and never had access to that information in a form other than observation, we would be where Cuegan is (are?).

He's giving us something entirely from scratch, and through hints and the characters' observations we have to build a context. By building context, we're hyper-aware of the context, and hyper-aware of what we have to do to build the context. Eesh.

I feel like the questions in the OTT have gone from "how is the OTC created" -> "what's going to happen" -> "where in space/time are they and how is the story going to tell us this"

I'm not educated enough in the language of philosophy and whatnot to be more coherent about this but it's been floating around in my head for a little while now. Something about the altitude conversation set me off, haha.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Word Time!

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Spoiler:
macraw83 wrote:Blitz progress: 753 of 1026
SNAKE!, np 1739

We'll be waiting for you, macraw83!

BlitzGirl wrote:And thanks to AluisioASG, Angelastic, ucim, k.bookbinder, mscha, and everyone else for the response to the Ikea ottification. :)

Did I respond?

buffygirl wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:A newpix of whiteness for the lost Sandcastle. Image

Awww! That's the saddest little mini-icon-anim I've ever seen!

I agree. It also took too much of my time.
Oh, and: our hatters are all in the past! We need a present Buffydashery!

BlitzGirl wrote:Aha! I figured it out:
Pirate Squirpy needed a new telescope!

There should be a ‘Captain’ in there somewhere.

sford wrote:How about this? 50m of altitude in the atmosphere is nothing. Barely even an ear pop. But 50m under water is another thing. Maybe they are mer-people.

You somehow made my brain shutdown the natural language parser.

In other news: ok. I give up. I did my best to create that puzzle, yet no one dared to try to solve it! I'm sick of y'll! See what you have done to this poor boy! See these eyes so blue?
Spoiler:
They could watch you for a thousand moons
Brighter than the sun
It's been so long
I wonder if it's worth the time
To wait for it?

See these eyes so green?
Just like a blinding symphony
Ask me why I'm here
I don't know, just wait for it
It's been so long

They've already gone so far
They didn't even know that it could be
The rising of the sea
They wouldn't believe what is going on
Gotta molpy up
Hey, now molpy up

Maybe they aren't worth the time, those molpy people
Maybe not worth the time
Those molpy people

See these tears so gray
Memories of an untimely time
These tears can never dry
Or I will forget to remember them

See these eyes so blue?
They could wait for a thousand moons
Just don't leave me here
Alone in the outside, like a mere toy

It's been so long
Well, it's been so long
They are truly worth the time, these molpy people
Truly worth the time
Until the thousand yix

(Wait for it)
(Wait for it)
Well, it's been so long
(Wait for it)
And it's almost over time
(Wait for it)
Oh, it's been so long
(Wait for it)
I'm running out of fire
(Wait for it)

Wait for it
(For it, for it…)
Wait for it
(For it, for it!)

Been losing it to Time
Wait for it, for it, for it…
Been dying in the Outside
Wait for it, for it, for it!

Bonus chapter:
Spoiler:
Wait for it, based on Daft Punk's Around the World

Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it
Wait for it, wait for it

Molpy
Chirping
Run and
Catch it

Harder
Better
Faster
No tone

Now as
Hour
Our
Never

Even
After
Time is
Over

Molpy's
Chirping
Run and
Catch it
(Wait for it, wait for it)

Harder
Better
Faster
No tone

Now as
Hour
Our
Never

Even
After
Time is
Over

Molpy's harder, catch it
Chirping better, no tone
Now as ever, hour after
Our wait is never over
Molpy's harder, catch it faster
Chirping better, no monotone
Now as ever, hour after
Never over

Molpy, catch it faster
Now as ever, hour after
Our wait is never over
Now as ever, hour after hour
Our wait is never over

(Our wait is never over)
Molpy's harder, chirping better
Now as ever, our wait is never over
Now as ever, hour after hour
Our wait is never over

Molpy, molpy, molpy, molpy
Megan, Megan, Megan, Megan
Cueball, Cueball, Cueball, Cueball
Werecat, werecat, werecat, werecat
Raptor, raptor, raptor, raptor
Werecat, werecat, werecat, werecat
Raptor, raptor, raptor, raptor
Castle, castle, castle, castle

Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Arky

Re: 1190: "Time" TdF Update

Postby Arky » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Stage 9 of the TdF ended late this morning (in the US). The leaders of the GC are unchanged with one exception. The day's winner was Dan Martin from Ireland, riding for Garmin Sharp. The finish was on a fast downhill in which he and second place finisher Jakob Fuglsang of Denmark (Astana team) outran the Yellow Jersey's group and all of the likely GC contenders.

It's nice to know someone else from the OTT is following the TdF as well. I am often staying up past midnight over here, watching the TdF and idly checking every so often for a newpix.

Spoiler:
Stage 8 was better than any stage we had in last year's race. Stage 9 demonstrated what it cost Team Sky to achieve that Stage 8 performance, and also that Froome could fight his own battles in the mountains without his team's support, and also that the race is ON and it is possible to attack and Sky are not invincible. Unfortunately we now go to rest and flat stages and time trials for a while... would have liked one more stage in the Pyrenees to give the climbers a chance to hit Sky while they are tired.

In the Alps we will get that run of mountain stages in a row, but by then thanks to the time trials Froome might have enough of a buffer that Team Sky don't feel the need to ride themselves to exhaustion either to break the field or to catch attackers. I hope not.

Back to the OTC, it is interesting to see Cueball and Megan struggling with a new concept which we understand exactly and could explain to them on the spot if they could but hear us (unlike whatever it is causing the sea to rise).

ETA: Oh, page pope! I think for the first time, or the first that I have noticed.

Optional decree:
Have you ever watched/are you watching the Tour de France?
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Spoiler:

Temperature and oxygen differences appear to point to the vertical distance being off by maybe a factor of 5, despite what our panoramists would make of the frames.

Or, being as it's a different world and they're stick people, maybe they breathe SF6 , so there is very little of it indeed once you're more than a few meters (or Qs) above MSL.

ETA: dang, missed PP by one post.
Per decree: I've watched parts of TdF for many years. It's kinda relaxing, watching all that countryside roll by, and listening to that guy w/ the terrible teeth say "Tour Day Frahhnce." :D
Last edited by cellocgw on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
resume
Former OTTer

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”