1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fhorn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby fhorn » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:02 am UTC

WTF Tread??!?
Dead quiet all day, I manage to get any number of ONGs in a row, I go out for a little dinner and some strawbluewatermelon margaritas and suddenly you burst to life? Semi-inebriated ketchup and whatnot??!?

*inebriated ranting complete*
wolpy down
Spoiler:
sleeping.jpg
]
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

sford

Postby sford » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:02 am UTC

OK, let's see if I can do this without making too big an idiot of myself.

Stayed up till the newpix, now it's molpy down.

Edit: I was close. My first try was, "Stayed up till the newpic, now it's molpey down." I never claimed I could spell.

Edit 2: @AluisioASG: Love the result for 400 Cake. But the search also produces an unusual number of bra-clad torsos, including a cake of same. Wha...?
Last edited by sford on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:05 am UTC

ONGoing...

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:16 am UTC

Goggalor wrote:I haven't had time to ketchup since todip has been a little rough for me due to getting laid off at work (it's not a huge deal, so no worries), but anyways, has anyone speculated that Earth's (or whatever planet Cuegan is on) atmosphere isn't the same as our current day atmosphere? Maybe there's a lower amount of oxygen leading to altitude sickness occurring at lower altitudes?

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. No huge deal, perhaps, but certainly such a situation is never fun.

It has been conjectured that perhaps the atmosphere in general is different than what we know. This may suggest that, once again, we're being led through an Randallversian world, and our comparisons of the Earth we know are fruitless.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:24 am UTC

Arky wrote:Oh, page pope![...]Optional decree:
Have you ever watched/are you watching the Tour de France?
I've never watched the TdF, though when I was in Paris one afternoon I did see myriads of cyclists speeding down the Seine (or rather, the quay which parallels it). I didn't have a clue what it was; turns out they do that every week, pretty much taking over the streets. Them Frenchies - they take their bicycles seriously!

I don't follow any other sports either.

suzi wrote:...Also, somewhere in the OTT relatively "recently" there was discussion of how the OTC is meant to be consumed, and I definitely think this slow meta-discussion is the intended format, and not a slow-reveal that is more like a flip book at the end (as a counter example, take a webcomic with finite story arcs, like Bad Machinery. John Allison always says at the end of a story to go back and read from the beginning as intended, instead of page by page over the weeks. A sensible instruction for a narrative work. "Sensible" and "narrative" being two words I hesitate to attach to the OTC).

So rarely can we find an experience that is unique, and once consumed, gone forever. I know technically the image files will still exist, as will the OTT, but it's this sleuthing and analysis with absolutely no idea of the end product that makes it a "live-only" event.
I'm with you there. I think the OTA has tried something like this before (i.e. click and drag, umwelt), and his audience always found a way to short-circuit the intended experience. With this one though he's hit the bulls-eye.

yappobiscuits wrote:Sea World? Is that a big place?
It does what it wants. I wonder if it knows what it's doing.

yappobiscuits wrote:Fantastic! I really love how creative you are with the medium in which you present the story - from regular prose to screenplays and now email conversations! Makes it all the more engaging and fun.
Thanks! I'm just tellin' it how it happened. :) Glad you are enjoying it.

@BlitzGirl: Love your Pirate Squirpy! And even more, your cookies and milk - that is so perfect!

@CameronCat: BlackCat cleared to November Papa one zero two eight via runway heading, vectors to Blintz and Coma, direct November Papa one zero zero four, thence as filed, maintain two thousand until passing Coma, then climb and maintain three point five. Departure frequency one two five point three five, squawk any time you want.
CameronCat wrote:Out. (Cats always want out...)
OTFL

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:40 am UTC

Ah well, I'm not waiting for the next NP. I put up eighteen jars of blackcap jam this evening. That's enough work for one evening. Molpy down!
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:42 am UTC

CameronCat wrote:PIREP: Memes noted in area:
Spoiler:
BytEfLUSh wrote:Has anyone noticed the correlation of various Internet memes with this thread? Internet memes are formed with millions of people spreading the jargon, catch-phrases, video and audio clips....However, here, there are only cca 1200 people that have posted in OTT and the vast majority of them aren't around anymore. I am not even a regular, yet I understand all the "funny" words and I'd be surprised if someone didn't.
Interesting you should notice...I was thinking the same thing when BlitzGirl wrote:
So I scooped up images from my Boom De Yadas and all the manips I had made and saved, then got a bunch of avatars from recent newpages, then scanned for avatars that were buffyhatted or memorable from my Quest, then collected the smileys made by yappobiscuits for OTTers, plus Vytron's smileys of the Time trio, tossed in a few stickottifications from my unreleased Past Present and several squirpy silhouettes from my screenshots, jumbled all of that together, and just barely finished in Time.

I realized after passing it that NO ONE who is not a member of our faith community would have a clue in hell what that meant if they read it! Yet the congregation understood it instantly and without blinking. And I am not a regular either.

Oh. . . my. . . word. . . CameronCat, you just gave me the single biggest laugh I've had in the last 3½ months (and there've been some good ones). I laughed so hard my wife came out of the bedroom asking, "What have you done to the cats now?"

I skimmed over the paragraphs you quoted, having seen them before, then started on your last bit. Somewhere about "...would have a clue in hell what that meant," I found myself thinking, Wait, what? And I backed up and reread BlitzGirl's paragraph, and realized that I hadn't noticed a chirping thing odd about it, either when I first read it or when you quoted it.

And I utterly, completely lost it. I'm still out of breath. (And it's not from altitude.)
────────────────
There's very little I can contribute to the discussion of the comic at the moment. I've lived my whole life less than a thousand feet above sea level (although I did experience mild acute altitude sickness once in Colorado at about 8000 feet). I'm still tickled at the idea of a sea in the Ozark foothills, but there's no way you're getting altitude sickness hiking in the Ozarks. Even Mount Magazine's less than 3000 feet above (present day) sea level.

I will ask this, which I've never seen discussed anywhere on this thread or on the Outside: If the ice caps melt and the sea level rises 70 meters, what happens to air density at sea level? Is there any measurable change at all?

Coma time: Gotta make a trip tomorrow. Wait well, all y'all OTTers. Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are! Molpy down...
Spoiler:

Also:
schnoozenkatze.png

I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised that Google returned no results for either schnoozenkatze or schnoozenkitteh. (Though I guess I'm about to change that... :twisted: )
P.S. This is my 500th post on the forums, but only my 498th OTT post. I'll celebrate in a couple more posts.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Eternal Density

Niclep decided to let her join him.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:47 am UTC

sford wrote:OK, let's see if I can do this without making too big an idiot of myself.

Stayed up till the newpix, now it's molpy down.

Edit: I was close. My first try was, "Stayed up till the newpic, now it's molpey down." I never claimed I could spell.

Edit 2: @AluisioASG: Love the result for 400 Cake. But the search also produces an unusual number of bra-clad torsos, including a cake of same. Wha...?
Chlulthy down!
Re edit 2: there's a usual number?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:04 am UTC

INCLONGE
Up up up forever up!

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:12 am UTC

suzi wrote:Yes! I always hesitate to use the word "meta," but I think this is an interesting case where the OTC is not traditionally "meta" (like Grendel for instance) but the discussion itself is. As we ask questions and seek answers using the internet and our amassed knowledge, and create memes of a religion to organize our findings, we are illustrating the difference between the unknowing travelers without context, and our infinite context as applied to their world, aware the entire time that we're doing it. Most media is full of allusions and links to things that the reader/viewer then puts in a known context. Here there is nothing. Is it our job, are we intended by GLR to find out what's going on, or are we doing it because we don't know what else to do with the OTC? Both, I think.

Absolutely I think we are meant to try and figure it out. And yes, context is an important concept around here, it seems :) There is the mysteriousness of the narrative context that the story takes place in; there's the importance of the context that we bring to it as a community. But also, and one of the things I love most about the OTC, there's the complete lack of conventional context around the comic itself, as an art form. If you're reading a book or seeing a movie, you might have seen a trailer or read a review, you have an approximate idea how long it will go on for, and there are all sorts of narrative and genre conventions that influence your idea of what to expect. Here, there's been no announcements and no commentary from the maker; all we know is that a normally static web comic image unexpectedly started updating and telling a story. So anything could happen.

suzi wrote:So rarely can we find an experience that is unique, and once consumed, gone forever. I know technically the image files will still exist, as will the OTT, but it's this sleuthing and analysis with absolutely no idea of the end product that makes it a "live-only" event.

Very true and that exactly captures why I spend far too much time here.

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
BytEfLUSh wrote:Has anyone noticed the correlation of various Internet memes with this thread? Internet memes are formed with millions of people spreading the jargon, catch-phrases, video and audio clips....However, here, there are only cca 1200 people that have posted in OTT and the vast majority of them aren't around anymore. I am not even a regular, yet I understand all the "funny" words and I'd be surprised if someone didn't.

Interesting you should notice...I was thinking the same thing when BlitzGirl wrote:
So I scooped up images from my Boom De Yadas and all the manips I had made and saved, then got a bunch of avatars from recent newpages, then scanned for avatars that were buffyhatted or memorable from my Quest, then collected the smileys made by yappobiscuits for OTTers, plus Vytron's smileys of the Time trio, tossed in a few stickottifications from my unreleased Past Present and several squirpy silhouettes from my screenshots, jumbled all of that together, and just barely finished in Time.

I realized after passing it that NO ONE who is not a member of our faith community would have a clue in hell what that meant if they read it! Yet the congregation understood it instantly and without blinking. And I am not a regular either.

Oh. . . my. . . word. . . CameronCat, you just gave me the single biggest laugh I've had in the last 3½ months (and there've been some good ones). I laughed so hard my wife came out of the bedroom asking, "What have you done to the cats now?"

I skimmed over the paragraphs you quoted, having seen them before, then started on your last bit. Somewhere about "...would have a clue in hell what that meant," I found myself thinking, Wait, what? And I backed up and reread BlitzGirl's paragraph, and realized that I hadn't noticed a chirping thing odd about it, either when I first read it or when you quoted it.

:D :D I had the same reaction reading this:

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:13 am UTC

mscha wrote:I've added a simple viewer to my site, which allows you to view the frames one at a time. Nothing as fancy as Geekwagon or the Book of Aubron – because they did such an excellent job, I've been holding off – but it does the job, and uses ‘canonical’ frame numbers. Image
By default, it shows the frame as it currently sits on the xkcd servers, but can also show the frame as I downloaded it originally, and the differences between them, in case of mustard.
There are links to the corresponding frame on Geekwagon and the Book of Aubron.
No animation and other fancy stuff. Time permitting, maybe some time later.

It's used when you click on an image link in my list. (Right click, copy link location, still copies the image URL; Ctrl-click still opens the image URL in a new tab; etc.)

You can also access it directly when you know the frame number: For instance:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/2629
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/np2440c
But it also recognized Geekwagon and Aubron frame numbers, with prefix “gw” and “ba”:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/gw2633
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/ba2635
You can even give it a hash, or a file name as used on my server:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/504f637a60 ... 6fb0a49e89
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/xkcd_time_20130405_2200
And finally, you can give it a date/time stamp in UTC (e.g. 20130601_0000 or 2013-12-31T23:59:59) and it will give you the last known frame before or at that time:
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/20130601_0000
http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/2013-12-31T23:59:59

If we are sticking with the current canonical frame numbers, maybe it makes sense to link to my viewer?

Great work mscha!!!

Having the wiki link to your viewer is one option to solve the numbering problem. From there they can then jump to Geekwagon or Aubron with an extra click.

Currently the OTW links just to geekwagon and uses GW based numbering which is now a bit confusing post meteor.

Thought I would just brainstorm some solutions quickly.

1. We leave the Wiki linked to geekwagon and are confused by numbers till the end of time.
2. We give in and convert to geekwagon numbering even though we may think it doesn't make sense 100%.
3. We link the wiki to http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/2629 and now they have to do click an extra link if they wanted the geekwagon viewable experience. Also their will be some confusion when going from wiki to geekwagon as the numbers change and when viewing geekwagon the numbers are not easily used in OTT conversations etc. Over time you can slowly add more cool stuff to the viewer.
4. You add a new bit to your wonderful website with geekwagon and Aubron frame redirects so that http://xkcd.mscha.org/geekwagon/2629 will instantly redirect to the geekwagon frame without the user even being aware. Then update the frame links in the wiki so that they go to this redirect so that the user clicks a link saying frame 2629 and gets to geekwagon on frame 2634. Still some confusion.
5. Create a wiki template that takes in the canonical frame number as the input and returns a valid link. This template can then be changed in one place to change how it displays the link on the wiki and what it links to. This keeps all frame links consistent in the wiki and would also allow it to do the maths to convert from canonical to GW/BA numbering if needed. Also we could try making each frame reference display extra info in the wiki if required like displaying other numbers in brackets or something. And then we can have a cool wiki editing battle where people constantly edit the template to switch the numbering between yours and gweekwagon and back again.
6. Try and convert Geekwagon or Aubron to your numbering system which may involve removing meteor frames as I think it only handles sequential frames.
7. Fork geekwagon (it's on github) to make one that does canonical numbering

Anyway just some ideas and options to think about.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:15 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I will ask this, which I've never seen discussed anywhere on this thread or on the Outside: If the ice caps melt and the sea level rises 70 meters, what happens to air density at sea level? Is there any measurable change at all?

It wouldn't change measurably. The same air just gets displaced upward by the 70 meters.

In theory, there would be a slight change, because the atmosphere is now wrapped around a globe whose minimum radius (except for a few spots of dry land below sea level like Death Valley) is now 70 meters larger, so it's spread over a slightly wider area. Normal barometric pressure changes would dwarf any actual effect of this.

A related question once came up on a science-and-religion forum I post on, when someone suggested that if Noah's Flood really covered the earth deep enough to submerge Mount Everest, then Noah's Ark would be floating so high off the ground that all the animals and people on it would suffocate! It's an interesting notion, but the consensus was that there would be near-normal sea level air pressure at the surface of the flood waters. (Where that much water could come from or drain away to remains a difficult problem though...)

This is my 500th post on the forums, but only my 498th OTT post. I'll celebrate in a couple more posts.

Impending congrats!
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

ofvn2vw1872

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:15 am UTC

Back at present now, and going coma. Very interesting developments at the top (if it is) of this mountain.

I do like the theory that this is some deluge caused by a major shift similar to what happened in the Mediterranean. It seems to fit the general idea relatively well.

I am also glad to see someone else who has an interest in Haggard's work. I've only read She, and didn't know about the sequel. will look into that.

There has also been what I can assume is renewed discussion about what sort of relation Cugan has to the other people-folks near the beach. I have, with really bothering to check too much the logic of it, always assumed that they lived separately, but with awareness of a nearby small group, towards up-river (their hills). The kids reference... well, kids do tend to get places (at least when left alone in a danger-free, adventuretime-y fantasy-ish/sci-fi-y world), and might therefore make a beach-y visit more often.

Glint was next tower? If so, then dust=???
"It never seems to occur to people that a man might just want to write a piece of music"

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Oppa

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:16 am UTC

Happy 500th jjjdavidson!
Who is Adam? I dunno.

ETA: and with that, raptor down.

Redundant spoiler
Spoiler:
Buggy.jpg
Hey! You! I can see you!
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:38 am UTC

I really thought they would be descending a bit, or at least on level ground, not ascending. After all, whilst observing the dust, was Megan not looking slighting downward?

Molpy down!
Spoiler:

Coma well all. Keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:46 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I agree. It also took too much of my time.
Oh, and: our hatters are all in the past! We need a present Buffydashery!

Um ... hunh? Ohhhh, right. Well, yes. Ok, someone, step up to the plate! We need a hatter!

I'm reluctant to say this because my time is being eaten up enough by this thread as it is, but...I'll volunteer! I can do custom-drawn hats, photomanipped hats, or maybe whole avatars. But it may take some time.

k.bookbinder wrote:I really thought they would be descending a bit, or at least on level ground, not ascending. After all, whilst observing the dust, was Megan not looking slighting downward?

Molpy down!
Spoiler:

Coma well all. Keep the faith and wait for it.

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

ETA: Script ate my response. What I said was, Consider the curvature of the "earth". Perhaps they were distant enough that their distance along the arc made some difference in the relative height with the tower, ascending ground notwithstanding.

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:03 am UTC

cueganHorizPos++; // ONG

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:06 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Edit 2: Mscha, and others... please be on point for detecting fades... I'm not able to do any computer wizardry at the moment.
mscha wrote:No problem detectONG a fade...
Spoiler:

Hmm, not exactly what I expected...
Um, that was just weird. -stares suspiciously at Kieryn- Where did you say you were going?

Goggalor wrote:
hamjudo wrote:5 million years ago, the Mediterranean was disconnected from the Atlantic ocean and mostly evaporated. When the Straits of Gibraltar broke open, the Mediterranean mostly refilled over only 2 years. Away from the Straits, that would look amount to a sustained, and quite confusing sea level rise.

For some reason, to me, the idea of this happening is astonishing. Imagine watching that.

I'd imagine it would be
Spoiler:
neat.

This didn't really contribute to the conversation, but I needed to voice my amazement. It would have been weird to suddenly bring this up to anyone sitting around me.
Yeah, how on earth does one start? I've simplified to ‘There's a web comic I follow that's been sort of doing a flip-book since the end of March...’ So far that has gotten the fewest number of people edging away from me. :P

FullOfIt wrote:This reminded me of a book by one of my favourite authors, Stephen Baxter: Flood. There it is huge underground reservoirs of water that flood the world. Slightly recommendable. I prefer his hard SF books, and these are more of a sociorealistic (?) variety. Nevertheless: Stephen Baxter. Recommended.
Stephen Baxter is my Arch-Nemesis, and he has absolutely no idea that this is the case. He has gone and written three of the books in my head, and one of them he took way beyond what I was thinking.
I'm going to pick up the book you mentioned, FullOfIt, and second the recommendation of him as an author. Bast Baxter's good.

PartingLance wrote:...it's not uncommon to find sandstones interbedded with limestones, as in the Rocky Mountains.
Hmm. Hmmm. Well the wowterfall frame's not much help there; the profile certainly could be sandstone, but it could be any relatively fine-grained rock - I'm having a hard time seeing it as granite, anyway. :|
Spoiler:
What about the rounded rocks they passed as Megan took Cueball to see the wowterfall?
Spoiler:
Frames 1929 and 1930ImageImage

The extent of the rounding, but only on some of the rocks, doesn't make sense.
Ah, well. It's past time to coma, I'll look at it again after coffee, see if I can articulate better then. :wink:

Crabby molpy down
Spoiler:
image.jpg
Crabby sleep

Edit 1 because I forgot to capitalize Kieryn
Edit 2 to say that we don't co-sleep with the grandchildren. I did a search for ‘sleeping crab’ just out of curiosity and this was one of the hits. Figured at least some otters would get a laugh out of it.
Ps, apparently Sleeping Crab has something to do with ab workouts...
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:43 am UTC

{P980}
jjjdavidson wrote:
Knighthood:
Spoiler:
Latent22 wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:P.S.: This reminds me that I always wanted to become a Knight Temporal. Who do I have to bribe ask for an appointment these dix?

I think you can only get appointed to be a Knight Temporal by your future self who already is a Knight Temporal. Thus proving your worthiness and skillful use of Time.

Well, c─p. I've been meaning to ask BlitzGirl if, as the first Knight Temporal, she'd consider knighting me, if she thinks a lowly clerk is worthy of such an honor. Now what?

You simply declare yourself to be whatever you want to be; this is cyberspace after all. And if any molpychirper complains, well, chirp 'em (without going beyond the bounds of mutual respect and group affection we have grown accustomed to).

jjjdavidson wrote:Hey, you!:
Spoiler:
Ximenez wrote:
mscha wrote:But what if there's ever only two of them, and they have no need to address other people? Would they use names then?

Two reasons to believe there are more than two of them: They live in (plural) tents and LaPetite. Of course they could share a name, i.e. be called the same way by others, something like our Cuegan. In such a case, would they call each other "Cuegan"? I believe "hey" is a way for GLR to avoid naming them. Maybe a name would carry too much information about their origin and whereabouts?

In first-person detective fiction, in particular, it's a popular convention to avoid naming the narrator. Dashiell Hammett's Continental Op comes to mind, for instance: several short stories and at least one novel, all without ever naming him. The technique occasionally leads to somewhat artificial phrasings, but it allows the writer to emphasize the crime rather than the detective, while also allowing readers to more easily project themselves into the narrator. (The Thin Man and The Maltese Falcon, to me, are much more about the detectives than the crimes, in contrast to the Continental Op stories.) I've seen it in SF stories, as well. I think Randall is making a deliberate choice here to keep as much of an Everyman / Everywoman feel to the characters as he can.

There is another problem with choosing names for heroes - if the work becomes successful then for the rest of your life people will bore the bejasus out of you with questions about why you chose those names (cf Douglas and the choice of 42).

My spell checker suggested "molpy hirer" when I wanted "molpychirper" above - is that something like a tart's John?

As pope of the Vaguely Somewhere On The Page I decree that for the rest of this page no Tread jargon shall be used.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:50 am UTC

Exodies wrote:As pope of the Vaguely Somewhere On The Page I decree that for the rest of this page no Tread jargon shall be used.

Hey! You can't do that! We here at the thread for the comic Time have some traditions, like granting special privileges to the first person to post at the top of a new page! You can't just sound-a-small-moving-animal-makes'ing declare new rules in the middle of an arbitrary subdivision of posts!

Man, that's boring. Translation for not boring people:
Hey! You can't do that! We here in the OTT have some traditions, like allowing papal decrees for pagepopes! You can't just chirpin' (sound a molpy makes) make new decrees in the middle of a newpage!

ETA: Holy Post of 7s (777). Only fitting that I have an entire heretical sentence at the top of it.
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 am UTC

azule wrote:Here's my Present present. My own little otter^_^. :)

Warning, newborn ahead.
Spoiler:
OTTer.jpg

^_^ Actually, I'm calling him "Squeaks" for now. hehe.

Well done Azule and partner (or azule alone, it's not clear :)). Squeaks for now is a good name.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:04 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Hey! You can't do that! We here at the thread for the comic Time have some traditions, like granting special privileges to the first person to post at the top of a new page! You can't just sound-a-small-moving-animal-makes'ing declare new rules in the middle of an arbitrary subdivision of posts!

Man, that's boring. Translation for not boring people:
Hey! You can't do that! We here in the OTT have some traditions, like allowing papal decrees for pagepopes! You can't just chirpin' (sound a molpy makes) make new decrees in the middle of a newpage!

This is the first post to truly highlight just how invested I am in the OTC/OTT. I couldn't read and understand your first statement properly until after I read the second (which made infinitely more sense). Bravo, sir!

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:10 am UTC

FLOATONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:37 am UTC

Is newpixbot commenting on the floating bucket? If so, it's a fewpix behind, must be doing a blindpost.

Vytron wrote:Oh my BlitzGirl, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Image
That's my favorite picture posted in the entire thread, you never cease to amaze me! D'aaaawwwwww!

Thanks, Vytron! Image (Could not find a keyboard equivalent for this smiley.)

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
AnotherKevin wrote:<snip> The first tower that we saw didn't appear to have a mast for a light or any kind of daymark. We seem to have learnt, though, that the telescope was removed (likely stolen - if the surveyors removed it, why didn't they remove the even more expensive and fragile circles?). Perhaps there was a central mast affixed to the inner tower that was also removed.

Aha! I figured it out:
Spoiler:

Pirate Squirpy needed a new telescope!

Eee, Squirpirate! This would be an appropriate time to link to a song I wrote about OTTER pirates :mrgreen:

Awefulsome! I searched the Google seas1 and found an otter pirate smiley for you: Image
And for the papal decree, a banana: Image

xpatiate wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:

:D :D I had the same reaction reading this:
Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Image I didn't notice anything odd about either of those snippets when I wrote them, either! I suppose it's far too late for me.
When I wrote the following almost 400 newpages ago, I had to think to include the ottified words. But now I do it unconsciously - is that a bad sign? Or a good one?
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.
(If I were writing that today, I would throw in a wowterful, a flutterbee, some chirps, a couple grapevines, and a raptorcat, although that would make it even more seaish than it already is.)

1seaish... I mean, big.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:02 am UTC

Come alONG then...

Sort of expected a little more in the way of dialog, really...

Eternal Density

Because it would offer a good chance at revenge.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:45 am UTC

Yeah me too.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

spamjam

Re: 1190: " Because it would offer a good chance at revenge

Postby spamjam » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:47 am UTC

@Eternal Density:
Did you ever notice BlitzGirl's suggestion of "Reppa" for Niclep's sister's name?

ChronosDragon wrote:ETA: Holy Post of 7s (777). Only fitting that I have an entire heretical sentence at the top of it.
Appropriately accomplished on 7/7!

DavidRa wrote:Come alONG then...
Spoiler:
Sort of expected a little more in the way of dialog, really...
Cueball taking another rest.
Last edited by spamjam on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:56 am UTC

[
bracketing the last 10 newpages...

k.bookbinder wrote:OK, so it is the sea. And it has risen nearly 2 cue in height? That's more than a drastic rise, that's more like a tsunami, albeit perhaps a slow one.

Not necessarily. Even the wooden structure isn't tied down properly, so the water does not have to rise 2q to level all castlely structures.
And back then we were left under the impression that the Rise of The Sea1,8 wasn't induced by tide but by the river2.

Ahmet_Cesaret wrote:First post! (And a seaish one at that, if you are bumping it I will like it to be spoilered)

Hi Y'all I've been lurking since the start of Time, yes I have read it all, because I have enough free time for that.

I just delurked because i wanted to say something that's been bugging me about the Mountain Era, it is too long! I know thats not enough reason to divide it, but I think there are some actual reasons to divide it at a specific point, here they are:

1) Geography: The last part of the Era is set on a plateau near the top, while the rest is climbing.

2) Plotwise there is a important point: The Fluttermolpy Discussion, in where Cueball says (resumed, not quoted) ''we must go back'' and Megan says ''we must keep on going '' ,she gets her way, and we get a new explicit goal, reach the mountain top.

3) Most importantly we get a atmosphere change that starts, in that same period, with the raptor attack on the Fluttermolpy, continues with the raptorcat attack on Cueball and stays on Megan's wound. Before that nothing that violent or scary had happened on the OTC.

Thats why I suggest to divide the Mountain Era in two eras. The Mountain Side era, starting where the actual Mountain Era does, and ending on The Fluttermolpy Discussion period. And the Mountain Plateau era starting in The Weird Tree Period and ending where the Mountain Era does.

Welcome, Ahmet_Cesaret.

And you have a point. If GLR would have had to add commercials, they would been placed best after the almost-PONOR dialogue. I will not say that if put in a movie this would be the cliffhanger from "Time I: The Waiting Begins" and "Time II: The Two Troubles"- I don't feel competent to bet my movie budget on any Time's end theory, anymore (and even Peter Jackson might have some trouble getting "Time LXVII: ..." through christmas business).

Ah, and a new other one is up: 1235: "Settled".
]
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

foilman

Postby foilman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:01 am UTC

RestONG knee on a rock.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:05 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Crabby molpy down
Spoiler:
image.jpg

Edit 2 to say that we don't co-sleep with the grandchildren. I did a search for ‘sleeping crab’ just out of curiosity and this was one of the hits. Figured at least some otters would get a laugh out of it.

Yup - sure got a chuckle from me. Over the course of the night, Little Wonder often pushes me into the three-sided crib beside the bed that she herself hasn't slept in for like six months. I can't get rid of the crib, because then I'd have nowhere to go. Right now I'm ketching up twisted like a pretzel so as not to disturb the way she's draped over my thigh.

Currently on Geekwagon, gw2452 is showing up as a very dark version of gw2456 for me. Is anyone else seeing that?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:26 am UTC

ggh wrote:Currently on Geekwagon, gw2452 is showing up as a very dark version of gw2456 for me. Is anyone else seeing that?

Nope, all fine for me.

mojacardave

Postby mojacardave » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:33 am UTC

ggh wrote:Currently on Geekwagon, gw2452 is showing up as a very dark version of gw2456 for me. Is anyone else seeing that?

Nope, but gw2471 is showing the heretical mustardy variant of the frame for me.

foilman

Postby foilman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:00 am UTC

Someone comONG soon...

robbak

OTTify Runaway (Dell Shanon)

Postby robbak » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:02 am UTC

As someone used "Walk AlONG" as their newpix caption, I had to OTTify Dell Shannon's "Runaway",

As they walk along they wonder,
What went wrong with their sea,
A sea the watched so long

And as they still walk on they talked about
The things they've seen together,
Since their walk begun.

They are walking up the hill
Molpy scratched but they're walking still,
Finding rivers, mountains, towers, plants,
To conquer every ignorance,

And they wonder,
Why why why why wonder,
Why,
Why why why why why,
Things appear this way,

And they wonder,
Why things are this way,
And having fun this way,
Fun, fun, fun fun fun this way.....

madock345

Postby madock345 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Prediction: There's not really anybody on the hill.
"As the size of an Explosion increses the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approches zero"
-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick
Spoiler:
ethereal_fire wrote:madock345, I like your sig : )

Qwerty.55 wrote:I like your new recursive sig even better than before.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:50 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:

Nope, all fine for me.

Huh. Fine for me now too.

mojacardave wrote:Nope, but gw2471 is showing the heretical mustardy variant of the frame for me.

Looks like Geekwagon has all the mustard....
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:01 am UTC

HELLOOOONG!

Oh, so exciting! WIll it be for real this time? Are we going to meet someone new?
Edit: I'm with madock345, probably not. Prediction: a statue.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:13 am UTC

Regarding altitude:

When I worked at a ski resort which was only at 1900 - 2000m (~6000ft), I found that when doing anything exerting such as shovelling snow, hiking up a steep incline, I would get that "out of breath" feeling noticeably sooner than normal. It wasn't staggering, or particularly debilitating, but it was certainly noticeable. Remember even at that altitude oxygen levels are about 22% lower.

Regarding meta-discussion:

I'm beginning to think that when time ends the frame at http://xkcd.com/1190/ will simply be replaced by a link to this needle pulled thing. Loopists be damned!
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:14 am UTC

Prediction: Someone will reply speaking weird symbols, or possibly just weird combinations of letters. The thread will go nuts discussing whether it's a real code/invented language and trying to decrypt it.

ETA: Ooh, I'm a pope again! Okay, predict the response. But if you respond in weird symbols or weird combinations of letters, and you have an intended meaning for them, put the decrypted version in a spoiler.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:19 am UTC

Prediction:
Spoiler:
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”