1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:02 am UTC

Lets GONG!
Image
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:05 am UTC

I think this is conclusive proof that Cuegan are quite intelligent, and merely do not have much information about the world.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

User avatar
irino
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:11 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby irino » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:11 am UTC

Packing up the telescope, perhaps? There are probably other towers between here and the cake, and I think they only have one telescope.

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:18 am UTC

Since we're now focused on language, isn't anybody but me bothered by the fact that the English language being used by Cuegan is apparently unchanged from currant useage? I mean after 11,000+ years I would expect what we now call English would more resemble the Beanies' language. Of course, literary license requires that we know their thoughts, but that could have been done in other ways.

Also, I haven't been keeping up but has it now been decided that these events are taking place in Canada rather than Madagascar?
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6894
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:22 am UTC

Davidy wrote: Of course, literary license requires that we know their thoughts, but that could have been done in other ways.
What other ways are there, that don't interrupt the flow of the story? That the characters are speaking a different language from each other is important, but that they are speaking a different language than the viewer is usually not.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9121
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:25 am UTC

Davidy wrote:Also, I haven't been keeping up but has it now been decided that these events are taking place in Canada rather than Madagascar?

Haha, if only it were that simple. Location is still as muddled as ever. It could be in Canada, Turkey, Cassini Madagascar, or Randalltopia at this point. Or none of the above. :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

She ran around a tree a few more times...

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:27 am UTC

Davidy wrote:Since we're now focused on language, isn't anybody but me bothered by the fact that the English language being used by Cuegan is apparently unchanged from currant useage? I mean after 11,000+ years I would expect what we now call English would more resemble the Beanies' language. Of course, literary license requires that we know their thoughts, but that could have been done in other ways.

Also, I haven't been keeping up but has it now been decided that these events are taking place in Canada rather than Madagascar?

In 11,000+ years, Canada would have invaded Madagascar, or contrariwise.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: She ran around a tree a few more times...

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:29 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Davidy wrote:Since we're now focused on language, isn't anybody but me bothered by the fact that the English language being used by Cuegan is apparently unchanged from currant useage? I mean after 11,000+ years I would expect what we now call English would more resemble the Beanies' language. Of course, literary license requires that we know their thoughts, but that could have been done in other ways.

Also, I haven't been keeping up but has it now been decided that these events are taking place in Canada rather than Madagascar?

In 11,000+ years, Canada would have invaded Madagascar, or contrariwise.


<insert joke about Canada's military here>
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

User avatar
partingLance
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:49 pm UTC
Location: never off the boat

Re: She ran around a tree a few more times...

Postby partingLance » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:33 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Davidy wrote:Since we're now focused on language, isn't anybody but me bothered by the fact that the English language being used by Cuegan is apparently unchanged from currant useage? I mean after 11,000+ years I would expect what we now call English would more resemble the Beanies' language. Of course, literary license requires that we know their thoughts, but that could have been done in other ways.

Also, I haven't been keeping up but has it now been decided that these events are taking place in Canada rather than Madagascar?

In 11,000+ years, Canada would have invaded Madagascar, or contrariwise.


I for one welcome our Madagascarian overlords.

Anyway, they won't last through the first winter.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:38 am UTC

I noticed no one follows the Papal decrees anymore. <insert sad Toothless smiley here>
Could I at least get some OTC/OTT plots (even a Beanish character frequency graph would be nice, and useful)?
PS. I'd also like a sad Toothless smiley, if at all possible. With eyes.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:46 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
adnapemit
Posts: 200
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:05 am UTC
Location: The wrong timezone.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby adnapemit » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:38 am UTC

I think the reason for cuegan having 3 circles drawn next to them and the beanies having only 2 triangles is that it represents one of their conversations. Cuegan say one thing then the beanies respond.

Judging by the appearance of the translator I think the square language represents squirpy(or molpy or raptor) language.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9121
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:40 am UTC

adnapemit wrote:Judging by the appearance of the translator I think the square language represents squirpy(or molpy or raptor) language.

Aha - the lionlike appearance of Beardo means he must be fluent in raptorcat!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

(this is a good idea, right?)

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:42 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I noticed no one follows the Papal decrees anymore. <insert sad Toothless smiley here>
Could I at least get some OTC/OTT plots (even a Beanish character frequency graph would be nice, and useful)?
PS. I'd also like a sad Toothless smiley, if at all possible.

Wanted: chart showing the number of posts obeying decrees, per pope.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Arky
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 7:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:44 am UTC

Can I be the first to nominate that the big building/city that the Beanies are leading our heroes towards is called Beantown?

Spoiler:
Image



AluisioASG wrote:I noticed no one follows the Papal decrees anymore. <insert sad Toothless smiley here>


It's because we're all PrOTTestants now.
Last edited by Arky on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:46 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I noticed no one follows the Papal decrees anymore. <insert sad Toothless smiley here>
Could I at least get some OTC/OTT plots (even a Beanish character frequency graph would be nice, and useful)?
PS. I'd also like a sad Toothless smiley, if at all possible.


That's a decree I'll gladly follow! Here ya go!

*is quite productive when avoiding doing actual Outside work*

popedragon_sad.gif
popedragon_sad.gif (1.35 KiB) Viewed 12843 times
Image

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4756
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:47 am UTC

Arky wrote:Can I be the first to nominate that the big building/city that the Beanies are leading our heroes towards is called Beantown?

So, Boston?

Randall is from Boston or environs, no?
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

User avatar
eta oin shrdlu
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby eta oin shrdlu » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:49 am UTC

Valarya wrote:I believe ChronosDragon originally said Squaron for "S," which made me giggle. Squaron it shall be.

Nay! Squaron does not use the Elf-runes. S is for Squaruman, I guess.

User avatar
xpatiate
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby xpatiate » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:52 am UTC

Thanks for the duck cake, AluisioASG :)

And extra thanks lovepirate for the great analysis! We do love a good bit of analysis here. As Jose (more or less) said, this experience is 1 part comic to 59 parts speculation/deconstruction/hypothesising/science/silliness/hats.

ucim wrote:
In his (or her) blog, lovepirate wrote:The movie industry likes to play with color, sound, camera angles and editing techniques, but they rarely play with time as a way to enhance moments (outside of the previously mentioned slow motion). In essence, Randall gets to fastforward to more interesting parts without ever having to simply skip ahead.


Ah, but that's not so. In the editing a moviemaker plays with time. While most shots are played back in normal time, the length and intervals between the shots (which collectively make up a scene) are how a filmmaker accomplishes the same thing. Films also play with time by showing things out of order, or sequentially showing events that occurred at the same time.



True. Although it's not film, one of my favourite TV shows (Green Wing) has a lot of fun pretty much literally 'playing with time' by speeding up and slowing down the action. But I think the most important way the OTC uses time is in stretching it out, rather than skipping ahead - like the experience of sitting through the Long Night, or the hour-long wait in between raptorcat attack updates. All of which of course provides room for more analysis while we wait!

taixzo wrote:I think this is conclusive proof that Cuegan are quite intelligent, and merely do not have much information about the world.


Absolutely agree, not that I ever thought anything different. I would be very surprised if Mr Munroe would dedicate months of his life to illustrating the travails of a couple of dimwits :)

It does seem likely that whatever their background or history, Cuegan come from an environment where questioning and curiosity are not encouraged. Nobody has ever explored far away from their home before, nobody has wondered where the rain comes from. That first exchange about "I don't know how anything works" marks their departure from that tradition.

BlitzGirl wrote:
Davidy wrote:Also, I haven't been keeping up but has it now been decided that these events are taking place in Canada rather than Madagascar?

Haha, if only it were that simple. Location is still as muddled as ever. It could be in Canada, Turkey, Cassini Madagascar, or Randalltopia at this point. Or none of the above. :wink:


Given the combination of the far-off future date, and the conflicting clues as to location, I'm officially signing up as a Randallversian. It's not meant to be somewhere we can pinpoint on a map or a calendar. It's an alternative version of Earth, with recognisable elements in a different configuration to our own.
Last edited by xpatiate on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Bad Hair Man
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:12 pm UTC
Location: Corvallis, OR

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby Bad Hair Man » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:55 am UTC

beargarden wrote:Hoooly shit this is still going. Glad I didn't miss the end!

Me too, beargarden. Me too.

Dear people of the future, I offer you greetings from the year March 31, 2013, thread page 203. In-comic Megan is currently stacking up a giant pile of sand right in the middle of the sandcastle; and in-thread Helper has just been elected Vatican milliner's perfect customer. I know that must sound antiquated and quaint to you all, but it was a rough time back now where I currently am. (Though no doubt some of you are also a bit nostalgic for simpler days. I personally think such feelings are a bit foolish, but really it's just human nature to inappropriately idolize the past, so perhaps it's a bit unfair of me to judge.)

I'm still determined to read this thread through to the bitter end, but it feels a bit odd. Since the thread is actually moving faster than I'm reading it, I feel like I'm actually moving backward in time. I just checked on 1190 itself for the first time in a couple of weeks and oh wow what the hell?! Time has new characters and strange symbols written in the sky and what's going on?!

No matter. I'm mostly just writing so that I might get a sense of wry wistfulness once I finally catch up to page one-thousand-something that this message will land on, think back on all that's passed since I wrote that (this) message so long ago, then look forward at all the pages that got posted between now and then that I will have ahead of me, and silently weep.

Wait for it.
HAL9000 wrote:The Passover bunny walks on water! So he be an representation of Horus!

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:00 am UTC

ProceedONG

Image
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:01 am UTC

PackONG up to leave
Spoiler:
Image


Ninja'd, but I figured I should post something just to let you guys know I'm still around, reading and enjoying every bit of the OTT.
Last edited by slinches on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Arky
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 7:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:03 am UTC

poxic wrote:
Arky wrote:Can I be the first to nominate that the big building/city that the Beanies are leading our heroes towards is called Beantown?

So, Boston?

Randall is from Boston or environs, no?


Spoiler alert: this is the Great Translator!

Spoiler:
Image


Oh, and other comic alert! http://xkcd.com/1237/
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

User avatar
Sciscitor
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:20 am UTC
Location: Austria

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:04 am UTC

Ximenez wrote:Isn't that stick getting longer by the hour newpix?

That's what she...
Sorry, sorry, sorry!
Last edited by Sciscitor on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

User avatar
taixzo
Posts: 1623
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 am UTC
Location: The Present

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:07 am UTC

And with that, I must coma. Molpy down.

Spoiler:
Image
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Wooloomooloo
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:05 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Wooloomooloo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:09 am UTC

*staring at the stick-drawing on the ground* ...RMS? Is that you...?

User avatar
b2bomberkrh
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:12 am UTC

poxic wrote:
Arky wrote:Can I be the first to nominate that the big building/city that the Beanies are leading our heroes towards is called Beantown?

So, Boston?

Randall is from Boston or environs, no?


Welcome to Boston Harbor, home of the beanies and cod, where the Cuegans speak only to Beardo, and Beardo speaks only to God.

jcmckeown
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:41 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jcmckeown » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:14 am UTC

... What's Stallman doing in Upper Molpy?

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:15 am UTC

Arky wrote:
Oh, and other comic alert! http://xkcd.com/1237/


Fun fact: if you scan the qr code in that comic, you get this:

Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9121
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slipping into the future"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:16 am UTC

Bad Hair Man wrote:
Spoiler:
beargarden wrote:Hoooly shit this is still going. Glad I didn't miss the end!

Me too, beargarden. Me too.

Dear people of the future, I offer you greetings from the year March 31, 2013, thread page 203. In-comic Megan is currently stacking up a giant pile of sand right in the middle of the sandcastle; and in-thread Helper has just been elected Vatican milliner's perfect customer. I know that must sound antiquated and quaint to you all, but it was a rough time back now where I currently am. (Though no doubt some of you are also a bit nostalgic for simpler days. I personally think such feelings are a bit foolish, but really it's just human nature to inappropriately idolize the past, so perhaps it's a bit unfair of me to judge.)

I'm still determined to read this thread through to the bitter end, but it feels a bit odd. Since the thread is actually moving faster than I'm reading it, I feel like I'm actually moving backward in time. I just checked on 1190 itself for the first time in a couple of weeks and oh wow what the hell?! Time has new characters and strange symbols written in the sky and what's going on?!
No matter. I'm mostly just writing so that I might get a sense of wry wistfulness once I finally catch up to page one-thousand-something that this message will land on, think back on all that's passed since I wrote that (this) message so long ago, then look forward at all the pages that got posted between now and then that I will have ahead of me, and silently weep.

Wait for it.

Well, look at that. A long-lost blitzer, checking in for the first time since the Madness! Xe's got the blitzing attitude down pat already.
Bad Hair Man, if you've made it this far and are reading this post now, congratulations on your progress! :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:31 am UTC

{P1006}
The Economist rarely has funny comics, this week however they do
Image

Megs has looked up the cliff and announced "neat". I suspect she sees something off frame. You will know if I'm right.

There was talk (again) of the supposed evils of double posting - it's not the fault of the poster, it's everyone else's fault for not posting after the first post of the pair. And besides, who really gives a chirp?@

@in fact, if you do give a chirp about double posts, I would be grateful if you would PM me your reasons because for me this is the most mysterious thing about the Tread.

While I'm down here, applause to BlitzGirl for the phenomenal quantity of copy pasting in the 1000 picture.
And to everyone else "kp up wrk"

Your loving son, Exodies.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
Charm Quark
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:07 pm UTC
Location: Connecticut

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Charm Quark » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:34 am UTC

Hmmm...would it make sense to read a couple of pages every day starting from the beginning, but also stay ketchup'd in the present? The present is so 4 that I don't want to leave, but at the same time I do want to read the whole thread. It would be an uncharacteristically slow process for a particle like me that usually goes about business on the femtosecond level, but it would be fun. Would it be a blitz?
Lost forever in time...

User avatar
Bad Hair Man
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:12 pm UTC
Location: Corvallis, OR

Re: 1190: "Thing that keeps slippin' (slippin', slippin') in

Postby Bad Hair Man » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:37 am UTC

Smithers wrote:Edit:
BlitzGirl wrote:Quest progress: 149 out of 259 pages.
Attack of the Trebuchet. NP 222.

I have coma'ed twice since I last traveled the thread of Time, and the lack of chaos in my brain concerns me. Clearly I have been absent too long. Luckily my path now winds through posts affected by the Madness, as the Sandcastle is bombarded by the First Trebuchet. I suddenly desire to Capitalize as many Mundane Words as is Humanly Possible. It shall be All Too Easy to slip back into the Semen/Coffee River/Sea that is This Thread.

Also, THIS:
bouer wrote:Who needs their sanity. Read it all

Dear BlitzGirl,
after all of your messages into the future, I felt compelled to reply by sending one into the past. I hope this message finds you well and that your quest continues strong.

Godspeed,
Smithers

Wait a minute! What the fork is this?! Further down the very same page I was on when I posted earlier! The very same page!

Original post date of that quote: March 31. Last edit date: April 7. You know, I have seen people mention this "Blitzgirl" in their signatures, but I don't recall ever reading a post of hers, and I was never quite sure what that was all about. But now I know. She did the same thing I'm doing (reading the thread, way behind, but sending messages into the future), only she did it earlier and faster. (Well, earlier at least. Faster I'm not yet sure on, though it's hard to imagine anyone could be doing this slower than me.)

Now my earlier posts (and this one) just feel derivative. It's all been done before, but being so behind I just haven't seen it yet. It's the worst possible outcome of posting to a thread one has not yet read the entirety of coming true before my eyes.

I need to rethink my life.
Last edited by Bad Hair Man on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:The Passover bunny walks on water! So he be an representation of Horus!

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9121
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:39 am UTC

Oh dear, maybe I should try and sigcourage Bad Hair Man a little. :(

Charm Quark wrote:Hmmm...would it make sense to read a couple of pages every day starting from the beginning, but also stay ketchup'd in the present? The present is so 4 that I don't want to leave, but at the same time I do want to read the whole thread. It would be an uncharacteristically slow process for a particle like me that usually goes about business on the femtosecond level, but it would be fun. Would it be a blitz?

Any way of reading the thread makes as much sense as any other. :) In fact, we call what you're describing "schizo-blitzing" or "fry sauce blitzing" - having one view of the thread-of-the-past and another of the thread-of-the-present at the same Time. I say go for it if it sounds like fun to you!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:47 am UTC

ucim wrote:
HES wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:Another Rockmolpy?
Image

If it were a meowply surely they would have noticed it, given their rational paranoia. I suspect it is simply a molpy-shaped rock
So, would that be a rock that looks like a bear, or a bear that looks like a rock?

Jose

{1006}
It's Billy the Mountain's tongue.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

User avatar
Charm Quark
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:07 pm UTC
Location: Connecticut

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Charm Quark » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:00 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh dear, maybe I should try and sigcourage Bad Hair Man a little. :(

Charm Quark wrote:Hmmm...would it make sense to read a couple of pages every day starting from the beginning, but also stay ketchup'd in the present? The present is so 4 that I don't want to leave, but at the same time I do want to read the whole thread. It would be an uncharacteristically slow process for a particle like me that usually goes about business on the femtosecond level, but it would be fun. Would it be a blitz?

Any way of reading the thread makes as much sense as any other. :) In fact, we call what you're describing "schizo-blitzing" or "fry sauce blitzing" - having one view of the thread-of-the-past and another of the thread-of-the-present at the same Time. I say go for it if it sounds like fun to you!


That sounds delicious and/or insanity inducing! I don't have a signature yet, so I plan to dedicate that space to the (spoiler'd) newpix* I'm on, and the (spoiler'd) most signpost-able post I find that day. I shall begin my blitz tomorrow...now, I must molpy down.

Image

*Or would that be 5pix?
Lost forever in time...

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9121
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:02 am UTC

Still PackONG:
Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
thirds
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:16 pm UTC
Location: Tenrec Burrow NP1254

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby thirds » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:08 am UTC

On the way to see Bearded Jack, sage of the mountain. I think I'll make that a dream.
Molpy dooooooown

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:18 am UTC

I think I'll head parallel to thirds' velocity vector. Raptor dooooooown!

Image
Image

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

>: To the hatch!

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 am UTC

And this is how a page goes by without a single papal decree being fulfilled (but one, how could I ever forget my hatter?).
Deferring to the Supreme Emperor.

I predict bears.
Image

And with that, molpyraptor down.
Spoiler:
Image
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
capnbuckle
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:43 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby capnbuckle » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:53 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:I found the other two firstposts (the PFANP-thing is really helpful for this):
...
Welcome, b2bomberkrh, capnbuckle, and irino! (who all made their firstpost on NP 1054)


Ah, so I did finally get moderated...un-moderated...something... I imagine with the activity of the OTT, the moderators have been a _little_ busy!!


Brain purge to quite down my head so I might coma...
Yes, I was finally drawn in by the OTT. I was following it for a bit...then just followed the OTC for a while, via aubronwood or geekwagon. Then...things started to get weird...then astronomy happened and I was _completely_ nerd sniped...so much so that by the time I thought about contributing I was completely ninja'd to irrelevance. (Let that be a lesson to me...and also that Celestia doesn't do proper motion.) I _was_ working on figuring out when the next alignments of Jupiter, Venus and earth might be, on either side of 13,291, but I had to stop that for reasons.

I was musing about the last couple newpix: So it appears we have the lion, and a trek to the (emerald?) city. Will we see a tin man and scarecrow before they get to the Wizard?

Also, I think "Beanish" should be just one dialect of Legumean.

Now, hopefully, I might be able to coma...


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FOARP and 120 guests