1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NoMouse

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:ooh, I like this game. Thanks, mscha.
Spoiler:
The attachment beantown.jpg is no longer available

does a plain attachment need to be redundant, or is that only for direct links? am I even asking that correctly? sheesh

The problem is, plain attachment doesn't show in quoted messages.
Spoiler:
Wait4it.jpg

ETA: Oh, PagePope. I decree, keep posting spoilered images from this generator: http://www.redkid.net/generator/sign.php (as always, optional)

Edit: Image uploaded as attachment to reduce RedKid's server load, as ucim pointed out.
Last edited by NoMouse on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:09 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

As they leave the tower behind, some final thoughts on the numbered items.

At this point I have to agree that #7 (on the tower next to the instrument) was books. My first conclusion, that it was a step for using the transit, was partly based on being incredulous that the beanies would leave valuable log books or reference books out semi-exposed to the elements even for short lengths of time, let alone overnight. (I did mention that it could be books stored in a box.) Apparently I keep underestimating how benign (if arid) the climate here is.

I also agree with whoever wrote that #11, that I had jokingly called a bag of gold, was actually a glass bottle (or similar vessel). A bag of anything (beans, say) would have been a black silhouette like everything else. When objects are light-colored in the middle, it's because light is shining through them, so, a glass bottle instead.

redundant
Spoiler:
caffeine.jpg
caffeine.jpg (46.34 KiB) Viewed 15571 times
Last edited by Rule110 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
fhorn wrote:ooh, I like this game. Thanks, mscha.
Spoiler:
beantown.jpg

does a plain attachment need to be redundant, or is that only for direct links? am I even asking that correctly? sheesh

The problem is, plain attachment doesn't show in quoted messages.
Spoiler:

ooh. Duh. CHIRP. Please re-advise, being sure to speak loudly and slowly for lazy elderly music major. (Yes, I know, this was covered in great detail only a short Time ago. See "lazy, elderly, music major," above.) (perhaps I could cram some more excuses into that sentence if I weren't lazy)
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:As they leave the tower behind, some final thoughts on the numbered items.

At this point I have to agree that #7 (on the tower next to the instrument) was books. My first conclusion, that it was a step for using the transit, was partly based on being incredulous that the beanies would leave valuable log books or reference books out semi-exposed to the elements even for short lengths of time, let alone overnight. (I did mention that it could be books stored in a box.) Apparently I keep underestimating how benign (if arid) the climate here is.

I also agree with whoever wrote that #11, that I had jokingly called a bag of gold, was actually a glass bottle (or similar vessel). A bag of anything (beans, say) would have been a black silhouette like everything else. When objects are light-colored in the middle, it's because light is shining through them, so, a glass bottle instead.

I agree with your conclusion, but not your premise. Note their backpacks.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Rule110 wrote:As they leave the tower behind, some final thoughts on the numbered items.

And their faces...
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:The problem is, plain attachment doesn't show in quoted messages.
But the quoter can, with a little effort, "encourage" them to. Yes, it does require editing the BBcode. You will first need to right-click on the image itself (the one you want to show up) and select "properties". From the properties window, copy the actual location of the file.

Then, when you quote the post that will have the mustard, look for a section (inside the spoiler tags) that resembles

[ attachment=0 ] beantown.jpg [ /attachment ] (without the spaces)

replace it with the URL you found, surrounded by img tags:

[ img ] http: // forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=37798&t=1 [ /img ]

also without the spaces.

It's a little like posting an ONG.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
SBN wrote:

And their faces...

Heh, fair enough. I meant "objects" as in "things in the background" (so, disjoint from characters and their accoutrements) rather than in any universal sense.

ETA: I note that their backpacks don't become black silhouettes even when dropped and left on the ground. I suppose that could mean backpacks in this comic are characters. Like this:
Spoiler:

One more edit for Papal decree:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Rule110 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:43 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

Greetings all!!!

I hope you OTTists have waited well since my last visit, and I'm very glad to be among you again!

I have been gone far too long, and been much too busy lately, but I have managed to stay current on the OTC. However, I have to confess that I unfortunately have gaps in my OTT-completeness. I've done many Blitzish stretches in my time since last posting, but I know I have missed some of the OTT in my partial ketchups ("kehp"? -- Maybe that's a partial "ketchup"?)

At some point I will have to do a proper full-fledged ketchup Blitz to fill in those gaps, but I wanted to post my presence and rejoin the OTT now.

Oh, and to comply with the decree, I'm thrilled to once again be a...

Spoiler:
yoursign.jpg
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
SBN wrote:

And their faces...

Heh, fair enough. I meant "objects" as in "things in the background" (so, disjoint from characters and their accoutrements) rather than in any universal sense.

ETA: I note that their backpacks don't become black silhouettes even when dropped and left on the ground. I suppose that could mean backpacks in this comic are characters. Like this:
Spoiler:

I always just assumed that white, or very close to white objects were shown as such, and anything darker was black. If that were the case then the 'bag of gold' might be made from the same material as their backpacks or drinking bottles. Notice that the small telescope in the last scene was not black, thought there aren't any other examples that I can think of.
Last edited by Wildhound on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Spoiler:
ketchup.jpg
No Mustard!
I'm really surprised nobody had done this one yet...
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm really surprised nobody had done this one yet...

I can't help wondering what weird statistics someone over at that site is now puzzling over.
(And, testing the bit about making the image appear in the quote.)

Edited to fix the test.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

I think I got it:
Spoiler:
old dog new tricks.jpg

yes? no? mebbe? quotable, but not transcendent?
also, trick$ became "trickses"!
Welcome back, StratPlayer!

ed. thanks to link lessons/ucim *I think I did it right???*
Last edited by fhorn on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:I think I got it:
Spoiler:
OK, it worked, but regens the image each time, so I took it out. Sorry, have some puppies. Image

Let's see.
Last edited by SBN on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Some Ways to Time

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

HES wrote:
mscha wrote:Is that also why they make movie trailers that basically give the whole movie away?
(FWIW, that isn't working for me. If I see one of those trailers, I usually lose the urge to see that movie. I like to be surprised.)

No, that's just bad marketing. I hate it when trailers do that (If you have to ruin the film to make a trailer look good, the film can't be very good). However, I will re-watch a select few films and shows, and replay a few games, when I could be watching/playing new things

I'm a major repeater. I have certain movies that I've seen close to 100 times, and consider them my 'bed time' movies. (Bladerunner, Goonies, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Star Wars, etc.) I also reread books or book series and definitely replay games I like. To me, they're just as enjoyable the 2nd or 10th times because you always catch stuff you never saw before.

mscha wrote:So, what are we looking at?
We're obviously not adjacent to the previous scene:
Spoiler:
But how far away are we? Here's just a guess: about half a frame's worth:

And in between some kind of encampment. (I know, I can't draw.)

I just assumed it was the back of the one hut Cuegan slept in, the one we've seen the front of. So maybe combine your three towers into one and you will see directly in to my head. Because I can't draw. :P

For the pagepope:
Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

byebyeONG

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yes, we're good at being confusing. :wink:

Right now, the first poster on a new page of the thread is called the Pope (or Mome, if female). If they wish, they may issue an optional decree that the other posters on that page can follow if they want to.

(This is usually edited in because the poster doesn't realize they've made the top-of-the-page post until after their post is submitted.)

Oh, it's the top page of the thread, not the first to post a comment on the new pic? So, it was just coincidence that the top of this page was also the first comment on a new picture? I think I've got it. So, what happened when my first post got hung up in moderatorland, and got posted many pages late? Hmmm, it was probably too late to retro-pope anyone, but oh the chaos if it had happened to quickly. Do we have to count hanging chads in that case?

This is a known phenomenon on the One True Thread. When posts are approved out of the mod queue, they will "bump" all of the pagepopes that follow them. When that happens, we often like to go hunting for the recently-approved posts (firstposts) and welcome the newcomers. Likewise, when posts are deleted, they will cause all following posts to shift back one position. We call the last poster on a page the "goat." When deletions happened, it is common for pagepopes to become "goated" (or shift backwards even farther than that).

The pagepope position and decree is not affected by these movements, even if the pope is bumped (or goated) while the page is still active. The Pope is made Pope at the time of their posting, and while it is fun to notice retro-popes, we don't have a custom of following any decrees they might make.

This was a looong time ago, April 16, but here is my original page-pope suggestion:

Eliram wrote:
Asthanius wrote:
Eliram wrote:I suggest that he who writes the first post in each newpage will be proclaimed Pope for the period on that newpage. All through the page he/she will be referred to as "Pope BlitzGirl" (in example), and the title will also be kept as long as you directly quote a pope's post in a page when they are Pope.

I feel like this can result in power abuse.

Why? The pope title will only last until the next newpage.
Besides, that gives me a chance of become a jewish pope... Hmmm
It's about time.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

A note about redkid (and other image-generating sites)

If you are using redkid to generate images, be sure that you upload the actual image, and not the command to generate one. Similarly, be careful when quoting them. If you upload the command, which looks like this:

//www.redkid.net/generator/bumper/words/newsign.php?line1=Sorry+I%27ve+been+doing+this+wrong+&line2=the+whole+Time%2C+but+it+seems+you&line3=CAN+teach+an+old+dog+new+trickses!

you will cause the redkid server to generate a new image every time the NewPage is viewed. This loads up redkid's server. Instead, COPY the (already completed) image to your computer, and upload it somewhere (like the xkcd server). Then put that url inside img tags. The redkid server will be left alone, and the xkcd server will just cough up the already-created image.

If you've already posted the redkid url, it would be nice on the redkid servers to change it by uploading the result and linking to that, especially given the load this thread can put on them!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

Since it seems likely that we'll have a set of pictures of just walking along, I thought this was a good time to interject this. I've seen some references to this thread and so on being a religion, and I suspect there's a bit of a tongue in cheek nature to it. Although there is certainly some semblance of ritual and references to heresy and Randall as god, I don't think, for most of us, that we actually see him as god, except in the sense that he is certainly a god over the Cuegan-verse.

If you do really revere him in that way, or see this as a religion, I apologize if anything I say offends. My goal is not to offend, but rather to comment on what I DO think has been built here. An earlier poster made a comment about "community" and certainly a community has grown up around the Time comic. This isn't the first community spawned by xkcd (see geohashing for another example.) More than any other examples, though, this community has built something around Time, and what it has built, imo, is CULTURE. We have a set of unique traditions pertaining to both the every day and the unusual. We have language, our own unique ways of communicating. We have our own cultural referents, leading to humor and serious discussions which are obscure to those who don't understand our culture. We have a set of behavioral standards and cultural norms which all are expected to abide by. The lack of flame wars is a good indicator of the strength of some of the cultural taboos. We have special events around which are built a set of traditions and rituals. Like most cultures, members of the community can embrace the culture to a greater or lesser extent, depending on their own desires for such things.

What is also fascinating to me, is that like most cultures, the cultural aspects evolve over time. But, in this case, two things are unique. One is the rate at which changes occur. Two, is the ability to trace and understand the origins of traditions, and to follow how language, tradition and ritual change over time. It isn't possible to trace exactly how the tradition of shaking hands started, but if you want to know how popes got started, or where the word "molpy" originated, or trace how Blitzer behavior has changed over time, you can do all of these things.

This last paragraph is more purely speculative than the rest of this post, but I suspect that many of the members of this community, at least those who spend a lot of time here, participating in all aspects of the culture, might not have strong cultural roots outside of here. This is based partly on the types of person I suspect are attracted to xkcd, and partly on what drives someone to spend significant amounts of time here. Again, I mean no offense, nor do I mean to over-generalize. Instead, the point I am trying to get around to, is that one of the more beautiful aspects of XKCD and this comic in particular, to me, is that it HAS (whether Randall explicitly intended this or not) created both a community and a culture, that provides a place for people to belong, to enjoy and to PARTICIPATE in the evolution of the culture. Of course, you can also just participate only in the more "puzzle" type aspects of Time, if you want to just come on to participate in language deciphering, or whatever, and don't really need to dip into the culture that's been created. One of the cool things about this thread, is that it's completely acceptable to participate in that way too. For those who participate in everything on here, I hope you appreciate and value the cultural experience this provides. I personally enjoy working out stuff about the comic more than anything else, but find it fascinating, and very cool, the way a culture has grown around this.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Ketchup Time!

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:@AluisioASG: Your avatar changed back! Feeling relieved for some reason...

Guess I'll stay with it, them.

Wildhound wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:If you really wanted to, you could go back and read it all over again... :D Ready, set, go!

Haha, the problem is I'm one of those people who won't watch a movie twice because I find it boring once I know what to expect.

Sorry 'bout this, but it's too tempting: UR watchin teh RONG MOOVYZZ. Try Apollo 13, for example. You know what to expect even before it starts. Or some Fred & Ginger flicks, 'cause the dances never get old. Or Young Frankenstein because, well, just walk this way, 'mkay?

True, maybe I phrased it incorrectly. It's not so much knowing what to expect (because let's be honest, you almost always do anyway), but literally seeing the same scenes, hearing the same dialog, it just makes me sleepy. Not to mention that since there are more movies and literature than you could ever consume in several lifetimes, it seems a waste to go over the same territory again and again.

I mean I have watched movies multiple times, but there needs to be a really significant gap in between. Maybe two or more years.

Same for me. Except the gap doesn't work.
Unless we're talking about Dèjá Vu. I can watch that movie once per week without getting bored.

Kieryn wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Quick q. Do we have a definitive and easily reference-able collection of beanish symbol images? I have an idea i'd like to try...

Um, sort of. I've been grabbing the beanish symbols and converting them to individual images - here is the last update post. All of them are in there, but I'm not sure how reference-able it is. :? They're kind of a pain to sort out.

Thanks! definitely a good start. Some point this wix-end I'll start indexing them, unless someone else does it before then... any takers? :-)

Well, I need to map them into 2-char mnemonics, and I also intend to do it this wipend. Which kind of indexing are you talking about?
Let me see if I got the punctuation right: ° is question, - is period and = is exclamation?

Vytron wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Our Tracker allows you to check how far have you gone and how much of your travel is still to be done, as well as the distance to the next station.

Wait, how do I get this tracker? What's my distance to the next station? D:

Oh my, which page is this? Ok, We'll install the next station soon. Scripts will follow.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Spoiler:
Since it seems likely that we'll have a set of pictures of just walking along, I thought this was a good time to interject this. I've seen some references to this thread and so on being a religion, and I suspect there's a bit of a tongue in cheek nature to it. Although there is certainly some semblance of ritual and references to heresy and Randall as god, I don't think, for most of us, that we actually see him as god, except in the sense that he is certainly a god over the Cuegan-verse.

If you do really revere him in that way, or see this as a religion, I apologize if anything I say offends. My goal is not to offend, but rather to comment on what I DO think has been built here. An earlier poster made a comment about "community" and certainly a community has grown up around the Time comic. This isn't the first community spawned by xkcd (see geohashing for another example.) More than any other examples, though, this community has built something around Time, and what it has built, imo, is CULTURE. We have a set of unique traditions pertaining to both the every day and the unusual. We have language, our own unique ways of communicating. We have our own cultural referents, leading to humor and serious discussions which are obscure to those who don't understand our culture. We have a set of behavioral standards and cultural norms which all are expected to abide by. The lack of flame wars is a good indicator of the strength of some of the cultural taboos. We have special events around which are built a set of traditions and rituals. Like most cultures, members of the community can embrace the culture to a greater or lesser extent, depending on their own desires for such things.

What is also fascinating to me, is that like most cultures, the cultural aspects evolve over time. But, in this case, two things are unique. One is the rate at which changes occur. Two, is the ability to trace and understand the origins of traditions, and to follow how language, tradition and ritual change over time. It isn't possible to trace exactly how the tradition of shaking hands started, but if you want to know how popes got started, or where the word "molpy" originated, or trace how Blitzer behavior has changed over time, you can do all of these things.

This last paragraph is more purely speculative than the rest of this post, but I suspect that many of the members of this community, at least those who spend a lot of time here, participating in all aspects of the culture, might not have strong cultural roots outside of here. This is based partly on the types of person I suspect are attracted to xkcd, and partly on what drives someone to spend significant amounts of time here. Again, I mean no offense, nor do I mean to over-generalize. Instead, the point I am trying to get around to, is that one of the more beautiful aspects of XKCD and this comic in particular, to me, is that it HAS (whether Randall explicitly intended this or not) created both a community and a culture, that provides a place for people to belong, to enjoy and to PARTICIPATE in the evolution of the culture. Of course, you can also just participate only in the more "puzzle" type aspects of Time, if you want to just come on to participate in language deciphering, or whatever, and don't really need to dip into the culture that's been created. One of the cool things about this thread, is that it's completely acceptable to participate in that way too. For those who participate in everything on here, I hope you appreciate and value the cultural experience this provides. I personally enjoy working out stuff about the comic more than anything else, but find it fascinating, and very cool, the way a culture has grown around this.

I find your entire post offensive.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Spoiler:

Well said. I agree this thread is a gold mine for studies of evolution of groups and evolution of culture because it's all recorded.
I'm not certain I agree with the members not having strong cultural roots. (I have, however, been told more than once to "get a life.") Even those of us who have such roots, may find that the members of our culture don't think quite the same as we do. Most of the time that's not important, but sometimes it is nice to have a group that shares more of our interests (every author I've ever named on this thread has admirers on the thread, for instance) and way of thinking.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

The plains go on and ONG

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

RudeDude wrote:The plains go on and ONG
Spoiler:

That's four ONGs in only nine total forum posts. That's got to be a record.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Note that the last two frames cannot be adjacent. On np2749, one an a bit Beanie had already left the scene, while on frame 2750, only the first one has appeared.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:

That's probably because there's nothing to talk about. This might help:

Spoiler:
eyelid.png
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:This might help:
Spoiler:

Hmm, looks like a potential molpy hole. I'll get the Molpy Detector ready for next newpix.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:

See? I post again after a very long time away and bring the place to a standstill....

"OMR, he's back!?!? Damn!!! Well, everybody shut-up and hide -- maybe he'll just go away again. Jeez, I hope so!"

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Spoiler:

If you do really revere him in that way, or see this as a religion, I apologize if anything I say offends. My goal is not to offend, but rather to comment on what I DO think has been built here. An earlier poster made a comment about "community" and certainly a community has grown up around the Time comic. This isn't the first community spawned by xkcd (see geohashing for another example.)
More than any other examples, though, this community has built something around Time, and what it has built, imo, is CULTURE.
Spoiler:
We have a set of unique traditions pertaining to both the every day and the unusual. We have language, our own unique ways of communicating. We have our own cultural referents, leading to humor and serious discussions which are obscure to those who don't understand our culture. We have a set of behavioral standards and cultural norms which all are expected to abide by. The lack of flame wars is a good indicator of the strength of some of the cultural taboos. We have special events around which are built a set of traditions and rituals. Like most cultures, members of the community can embrace the culture to a greater or lesser extent, depending on their own desires for such things.

Back on NP 746, charlie_grumbles called it a tribe:

charlie_grumbles wrote:I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe.
Spoiler:
Perhaps it needs a name, though Time Waiters is a pretty good one. This thread is our cave, where we meet to share experiences. Members come and go, but maintain a connection to the Tribe. There is an US and a THEM, though we aren't exclusionary. But definitely an US.

Different members have different roles in the tribe. I'm one of the "elders of the tribe". No, not one of the leaders, my post count is far too low for that. One of the elders. The elders in a tribe are valuable because they are the ones that haven't been eaten by the saber-toothed molpys for the longest amount of time. Most roles in a tribe are earned, but you get to be an elder just by living a long time and seeing a lot of stuff, some of which works and some of which doesn't. So there is no special honor in being an elder, though viejo is used in Spanish as a term of honor as well as endearment (viejo/vieja = old man/old woman)

Some of our leaders are quite young, in fact, but have earned their place. Leaders set the tone and the direction of the advancement of the Tribe. Even young HAL9000 (may his presentation have gone well) has taken a leadership role at times. But the elders are old. Stands to reason.

People are free to leave, but few do. When not seen for a while, the others ask about/worry about them. Often they return and we rejoice.

Members of other tribes don't always understand. My wife is a bit mystified by all this.

We are not an army, but a Tribe. We share a culture. We extend that culture. The old ones (like myself) often offer advice to the young, as is good and proper. The leaders, like buffygirl, keep us unified (i.e. hatted). The advice of the old isn't always taken, as is also proper, as the young need, ultimately, to find their own way.

It is even possible that if Time ended that the Tribe would find a way to live on. It is even possible that GLR guides the Tribe by listening to what is here and providing direction via the OTC.

Since elders don't, typically, hunt anymore (leaving the pursuit of molpys to others) we are free to philosophize. Some of what we know is garbage. So, some of what we say is garbage. We (the elders) hope you understand. Sometimes we try to be funny/endearing so you don't throw us out. Sometimes we try to give serious important advice. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is garbage. We hope you understand and continue to offer cake.

Chocolate.

Chocolate Cake.

Hmmm. Yes. That is the essence.

But I like the term "culture" -- it can refer to the development of artistry, and there has been that a-plenty in the OTT, but it can also refer to the growth and development of bacteria and other infectious germs, and there's a bit of contagious sickness to the OTT, too. Lord know that even after all my time away, I still can't shake the bug. ;)

fhorn wrote:Welcome back, StratPlayer!

Thanks!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:Since it seems likely that we'll have a set of pictures of just walking along, I thought this was a good time to interject this.
Spoiler:
I've seen some references to this thread and so on being a religion, and I suspect there's a bit of a tongue in cheek nature to it. Although there is certainly some semblance of ritual and references to heresy and Randall as god, I don't think, for most of us, that we actually see him as god, except in the sense that he is certainly a god over the Cuegan-verse.

4, except for the part about roots, which is a bit ε.
Ch*rp! Why do I have to write this in OTTish? Am I m*starding the discussion?
Moose Anus wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
Spoiler:

I find your entire post offensive.

If I said that your entire post is offensive, would that include b2bomberkrh's? Or is it more like a -(-x) thing?
Last edited by Ximenez on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

What is culture if not a bunch of inside jokes?

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:See? I post again after a very long time away and bring the place to a standstill....

"OMR, he's back!?!? Damn!!! Well, everybody shut-up and hide -- maybe he'll just go away again. Jeez, I hope so!"

The simple solution, of course, is for you to not go away for any extended period of time. Not posting would also work, but we don't want that. Blergh, double negatives

FWIW, Welcome back!
Fleeting thought, if this thread becomes infinitely long, then at some point all the Boom-de-yada avatared users will have posted in sequence to put the song back together
He/Him/His Image

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

thirds wrote:What is culture if not a bunch of inside jokes?

That and a media to grow yogurt, penicillin, and anthrax...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:<big snip>
This last paragraph is more purely speculative than the rest of this post, but I suspect that many of the members of this community, at least those who spend a lot of time here, participating in all aspects of the culture, might not have strong cultural roots outside of here. This is based partly on the types of person I suspect are attracted to xkcd, and partly on what drives someone to spend significant amounts of time here. Again, I mean no offense, nor do I mean to over-generalize. Instead, the point I am trying to get around to, is that one of the more beautiful aspects of XKCD and this comic in particular, to me, is that it HAS (whether Randall explicitly intended this or not) created both a community and a culture, that provides a place for people to belong, to enjoy and to PARTICIPATE in the evolution of the culture.

I enjoyed reading your post b2bomber, but I have to comment on the piece quoted above. Yes, we have created a culture-community here.. but I think it's even more fascinating because the majority of the posters have different cultures outside of the thread and bringing them all together only adds to the individuality and overall awesomeness.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
fhorn wrote:I think I got it:
Spoiler:
OK, it worked, but regens the image each time, so I took it out. Sorry, have some puppies. Image

Let's see.

thanks for both the puppies AND the fix, SBN. I think I've fixed my original post now. Sheesh. Gonna have to pay better attention in class.

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:

Just getting lucky I think... slow morning, east-coast time zone, and some quicky clicky.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

HES wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:See? I post again after a very long time away and bring the place to a standstill....

The simple solution, of course, is for you to not go away for any extended period of time. Not posting would also work, but we don't want that. Blergh, double negatives

FWIW, Welcome back!
Fleeting thought, if this thread becomes infinitely long, then at some point all the Boom-de-yada avatared users will have posted in sequence to put the song back together

Not true. "Infinitely long" does not mean "contains every possibility". For example, the number 0.121121112111121111121111112... does not repeat, but doesn't contain every combination of numbers; it doesn't even contain a 3.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:<snip>
More than any other examples, though, this community has built something around Time, and what it has built, imo, is CULTURE.
<snip>

Back on NP 746, charlie_grumbles called it a tribe:

charlie_grumbles wrote:I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe.
<snip>

But I like the term "culture" -- it can refer to the development of artistry, and there has been that a-plenty in the OTT, but it can also refer to the growth and development of bacteria and other infectious germs, and there's a bit of contagious sickness to the OTT, too. Lord know that even after all my time away, I still can't shake the bug. ;)

fhorn wrote:Welcome back, StratPlayer!

Thanks!

We are a Tribe, we share a culture.

Some Ways to Time

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

RudeDude wrote:
ttscp wrote:

Just getting lucky I think... slow morning, east-coast time zone, and some quicky clicky.

Oh -- whoops. Misread ttscp's post earlier -- I took it to mean that there wasn't much posting between the ONGs, not that RudeDude was making all the ONG postings.

taixzo wrote:
HES wrote:

FWIW, Welcome back!

Not true. "Infinitely long" does not mean "contains every possibility". For example, the number 0.121121112111121111121111112... does not repeat, but doesn't contain every combination of numbers; it doesn't even contain a 3.

Good argument, but I'm not 100% convinced. I think we should confirm it. Let's sit back and observe the OTT for an infinitely long time. all we need to do it
Spoiler:
wait for it.

Forever...

And thanks for the welcome, HES!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
thirds wrote:What is culture if not a bunch of inside jokes?

That and a media to grow yogurt, penicillin, and anthrax...

SBN wrote:We are a Tribe, we share a culture.

um... ew?

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:<big snip>
This last paragraph is more purely speculative than the rest of this post, but I suspect that many of the members of this community, at least those who spend a lot of time here, participating in all aspects of the culture, might not have strong cultural roots outside of here. This is based partly on the types of person I suspect are attracted to xkcd, and partly on what drives someone to spend significant amounts of time here. Again, I mean no offense, nor do I mean to over-generalize. Instead, the point I am trying to get around to, is that one of the more beautiful aspects of XKCD and this comic in particular, to me, is that it HAS (whether Randall explicitly intended this or not) created both a community and a culture, that provides a place for people to belong, to enjoy and to PARTICIPATE in the evolution of the culture.

I enjoyed reading your post b2bomber, but I have to comment on the piece quoted above. Yes, we have created a culture-community here.. but I think it's even more fascinating because the majority of the posters have different cultures outside of the thread and bringing them all together only adds to the individuality and overall awesomeness.

Agreed. I certainly try to bring my own unique cultured self to the discussion. I even extend my pinkie when mouse-clicking, just to show how cultured I am...

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
SBN wrote:We are a Tribe, we share a culture.

um... ew?

You mean you didn't bring your petri dish?
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”