1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

yappobiscuits

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

MolpyPope up!
Oh no, a NP absolutely full of bears! I can't go over it, I can't go under it... I'll have to go THROUGH it!
Welcome back, Strat!
AluisioASG wrote:PS. I'd also like a sad Toothless smiley, if at all possible. With eyes.

I now see ChronosDragon meganinja'd me, but since I started working on it before I saw his (and fancied drawing one from scratch)... Image
BlitzGirl wrote:Aha - as soon as the scope is lowered, the molpycup manifests back at the water barrel. Sneaky sneaky.

Aha, these sneaky critters have returned then...
Spoiler:

HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Oh wow! They're gonna meet Brian Blessed! And he's gonna translate for them, PRESUMABLY VERY LOUDLY!

Of all the bearded predictions, this is by far my favourite Image

CUEGAN'S ALIIIVVEE!!
mscha wrote:Oh, almost forgot:
http://tinyurl.com/mnukc3z

OMR, fun!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
(this one from (here)

b2bomberkrh wrote:Since it seems likely that we'll have a set of pictures of just walking along, I thought this was a good time to interject this. I've seen some references to this thread and so on being a religion, and I suspect there's a bit of a tongue in cheek nature to it. Although there is certainly some semblance of ritual and references to heresy and Randall as god, I don't think, for most of us, that we actually see him as god, except in the sense that he is certainly a god over the Cuegan-verse.
Spoiler:
If you do really revere him in that way, or see this as a religion, I apologize if anything I say offends. My goal is not to offend, but rather to comment on what I DO think has been built here. An earlier poster made a comment about "community" and certainly a community has grown up around the Time comic. This isn't the first community spawned by xkcd (see geohashing for another example.) More than any other examples, though, this community has built something around Time, and what it has built, imo, is CULTURE. We have a set of unique traditions pertaining to both the every day and the unusual. We have language, our own unique ways of communicating. We have our own cultural referents, leading to humor and serious discussions which are obscure to those who don't understand our culture. We have a set of behavioral standards and cultural norms which all are expected to abide by. The lack of flame wars is a good indicator of the strength of some of the cultural taboos. We have special events around which are built a set of traditions and rituals. Like most cultures, members of the community can embrace the culture to a greater or lesser extent, depending on their own desires for such things.

What is also fascinating to me, is that like most cultures, the cultural aspects evolve over time. But, in this case, two things are unique. One is the rate at which changes occur. Two, is the ability to trace and understand the origins of traditions, and to follow how language, tradition and ritual change over time. It isn't possible to trace exactly how the tradition of shaking hands started, but if you want to know how popes got started, or where the word "molpy" originated, or trace how Blitzer behavior has changed over time, you can do all of these things.

This last paragraph is more purely speculative than the rest of this post, but I suspect that many of the members of this community, at least those who spend a lot of time here, participating in all aspects of the culture, might not have strong cultural roots outside of here. This is based partly on the types of person I suspect are attracted to xkcd, and partly on what drives someone to spend significant amounts of time here. Again, I mean no offense, nor do I mean to over-generalize. Instead, the point I am trying to get around to, is that one of the more beautiful aspects of XKCD and this comic in particular, to me, is that it HAS (whether Randall explicitly intended this or not) created both a community and a culture, that provides a place for people to belong, to enjoy and to PARTICIPATE in the evolution of the culture. Of course, you can also just participate only in the more "puzzle" type aspects of Time, if you want to just come on to participate in language deciphering, or whatever, and don't really need to dip into the culture that's been created. One of the cool things about this thread, is that it's completely acceptable to participate in that way too. For those who participate in everything on here, I hope you appreciate and value the cultural experience this provides. I personally enjoy working out stuff about the comic more than anything else, but find it fascinating, and very cool, the way a culture has grown around this.

Really awesomeful post! But also agree with Val here:
Valarya wrote:I enjoyed reading your post b2bomber, but I have to comment on the piece quoted above. Yes, we have created a culture-community here.. but I think it's even more fascinating because the majority of the posters have different cultures outside of the thread and bringing them all together only adds to the individuality and overall awesomeness.

Redundant
Spoiler:
redundadragon.png

sad dragon.png
sad dragon.png (3.57 KiB) Viewed 13162 times

semencoffecancer.jpg

churchsign.jpg
churchsign.jpg (36.53 KiB) Viewed 13162 times
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

Just walking alONG, nothing to see.

ETA: no molpies. My guess is that the GLR has moved on from molpies to beanies.
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

donnerpartyONG
Spoiler:

mscha-ninja

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

poxic wrote:
fhorn wrote:
SBN wrote:We are a Tribe, we share a culture.

um... ew?

You mean you didn't bring your petri dish?

Rob Petrie's dish? He might have to borrow it from Laura...

(...old-timer TV joke...)
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
Spoiler:
Since it seems likely that we'll have a set of pictures of just walking along, I thought this was a good time to interject this. I've seen some references to this thread and so on being a religion, and I suspect there's a bit of a tongue in cheek nature to it. Although there is certainly some semblance of ritual and references to heresy and Randall as god, I don't think, for most of us, that we actually see him as god, except in the sense that he is certainly a god over the Cuegan-verse.

If you do really revere him in that way, or see this as a religion, I apologize if anything I say offends. My goal is not to offend, but rather to comment on what I DO think has been built here. An earlier poster made a comment about "community" and certainly a community has grown up around the Time comic. This isn't the first community spawned by xkcd (see geohashing for another example.) More than any other examples, though, this community has built something around Time, and what it has built, imo, is CULTURE. We have a set of unique traditions pertaining to both the every day and the unusual. We have language, our own unique ways of communicating. We have our own cultural referents, leading to humor and serious discussions which are obscure to those who don't understand our culture. We have a set of behavioral standards and cultural norms which all are expected to abide by. The lack of flame wars is a good indicator of the strength of some of the cultural taboos. We have special events around which are built a set of traditions and rituals. Like most cultures, members of the community can embrace the culture to a greater or lesser extent, depending on their own desires for such things.

What is also fascinating to me, is that like most cultures, the cultural aspects evolve over time. But, in this case, two things are unique. One is the rate at which changes occur. Two, is the ability to trace and understand the origins of traditions, and to follow how language, tradition and ritual change over time. It isn't possible to trace exactly how the tradition of shaking hands started, but if you want to know how popes got started, or where the word "molpy" originated, or trace how Blitzer behavior has changed over time, you can do all of these things.

This last paragraph is more purely speculative than the rest of this post, but I suspect that many of the members of this community, at least those who spend a lot of time here, participating in all aspects of the culture, might not have strong cultural roots outside of here. This is based partly on the types of person I suspect are attracted to xkcd, and partly on what drives someone to spend significant amounts of time here. Again, I mean no offense, nor do I mean to over-generalize. Instead, the point I am trying to get around to, is that one of the more beautiful aspects of XKCD and this comic in particular, to me, is that it HAS (whether Randall explicitly intended this or not) created both a community and a culture, that provides a place for people to belong, to enjoy and to PARTICIPATE in the evolution of the culture. Of course, you can also just participate only in the more "puzzle" type aspects of Time, if you want to just come on to participate in language deciphering, or whatever, and don't really need to dip into the culture that's been created. One of the cool things about this thread, is that it's completely acceptable to participate in that way too. For those who participate in everything on here, I hope you appreciate and value the cultural experience this provides. I personally enjoy working out stuff about the comic more than anything else, but find it fascinating, and very cool, the way a culture has grown around this.

Well said. I agree this thread is a gold mine for studies of evolution of groups and evolution of culture because it's all recorded.
I'm not certain I agree with the members not having strong cultural roots. (I have, however, been told more than once to "get a life.") Even those of us who have such roots, may find that the members of our culture don't think quite the same as we do. Most of the time that's not important, but sometimes it is nice to have a group that shares more of our interests (every author I've ever named on this thread has admirers on the thread, for instance) and way of thinking.

The only risk in using us as a study is that we've got, as the saying goes, no skin in the game. We may be projecting an online persona for fun, anonymity, or practice. And if we don't like it, we leave. These options don't really exist in a realworld cultural development cycle.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

thirds wrote:What is culture if not a bunch of inside jokes?

Hey, MY culture lives outside, you insensitive clod!
In Soviet Russia, jokes make an inside culture!
(beat that! :mrgreen: )
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:11 pm UTC

RudeDude wrote:donnerpartyONG, Dudes!

Fixed that for you. (Even though it was ninja'd by...)

mscha-ninja

Mecha-ninja? That sounds awesome!
Spoiler:
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
ttscp wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
Spoiler:
Since it seems likely that we'll have a set of pictures of just walking along, I thought this was a good time to interject this. I've seen some references to this thread and so on being a religion, and I suspect there's a bit of a tongue in cheek nature to it. Although there is certainly some semblance of ritual and references to heresy and Randall as god, I don't think, for most of us, that we actually see him as god, except in the sense that he is certainly a god over the Cuegan-verse.

Well said. I agree this thread is a gold mine for studies of evolution of groups and evolution of culture because it's all recorded.

I'm not certain I agree with the members not having strong cultural roots. (I have, however, been told more than once to "get a life.") Even those of us who have such roots, may find that the members of our culture don't think quite the same as we do. Most of the time that's not important, but sometimes it is nice to have a group that shares more of our interests (every author I've ever named on this thread has admirers on the thread, for instance) and way of thinking.

The only risk in using us as a study is that we've got, as the saying goes, no skin in the game. We may be projecting an online persona for fun, anonymity, or practice. And if we don't like it, we leave. These options don't really exist in a realworld cultural development cycle.

Good point. I'd argue that most of us do have some emotional commitment to the thread for reasons suggested in my second paragraph. I don't remember seeing any trolls, for instance. Is that because of moderation, or because of the culture?
This is still not quite as strong as the restrictions in an Outside culture, I'll grant you, but studies have been done with far less underpinning.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Just walking alONG, nothing to see.
Spoiler:
ETA: no molpies. My guess is that the GLR has moved on from molpies to beanies.

You mean we've been here long enough to witness evolution? :shock:

StratPlayer wrote:Oh -- whoops. Misread ttscp's post earlier -- I took it to mean that there wasn't much posting between the ONGs, not that RudeDude was making all the ONG postings.

I did exactly the same thing, but then I have been messing up Density and Destiny since the beginning of Time...
He/Him/His Image

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
mscha-ninja

Spoiler:

In my head I hear "mscha" as "miss-cha" almost like "missed-ya", so to me mscha-ninja sounded like rhyming. :D

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

A little late, but welcome, RudeDude! You seem to have settled in quickly 8-)
He/Him/His Image

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:<big snip>
This last paragraph is more purely speculative than the rest of this post, but I suspect that many of the members of this community, at least those who spend a lot of time here, participating in all aspects of the culture, might not have strong cultural roots outside of here. This is based partly on the types of person I suspect are attracted to xkcd, and partly on what drives someone to spend significant amounts of time here. Again, I mean no offense, nor do I mean to over-generalize. Instead, the point I am trying to get around to, is that one of the more beautiful aspects of XKCD and this comic in particular, to me, is that it HAS (whether Randall explicitly intended this or not) created both a community and a culture, that provides a place for people to belong, to enjoy and to PARTICIPATE in the evolution of the culture.

I enjoyed reading your post b2bomber, but I have to comment on the piece quoted above. Yes, we have created a culture-community here.. but I think it's even more fascinating because the majority of the posters have different cultures outside of the thread and bringing them all together only adds to the individuality and overall awesomeness.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that there weren't a lot of different cultural backgrounds represented here, and I agree totally that it adds to the wonder of a place like this, that so many different people can exist in relative harmony. I will try to explain further, not in any attempt to counter any of your points, all of which are well taken and I agree with, but because I enjoy expressing my thoughts on these matters. I think XKCD has always had a strong appeal to the type of people that might be classified as nerds/geeks. No, not everyone reading is a geek, and certainly not all geeks meet the normal stereotypes, but much of the comedy on the XKCD strip requires knowledge of math, physics, computer science etc. And certainly, much of our discussions on here are of a "geeky" nature. We exult in using small shifts in star patterns and planetary placements to work out a suggested time for the comic strip, we "discuss" whether a slightly changed curlicue on a letter in a strange language places it among category A or category B. We gleefully argue about whether an object looks more like a telescope or a theodolite, etc. For quite a while, a strong geek/nerd subculture has existed in modern society as a whole. I'm not even sure that "subculture" is the right phrase, since it implies, to me at least, a sub-group existing within a culture. In this case, at least since the internet exploded in popularity, "trans-subculture" might be a better description, since it is really a subculture that exists in many cultures, and connects across them. This is, in essence, what you were celebrating in your post, not specifically referring to nerds/geeks, but in a more general sense, that the culture here pulls people from many different cultures together into one place. And, it isn't quite the same melting pot effect as, say here in the USA, where our culture has been formed strongly by the influence of other cultures, mostly through the effects of immigration. The culture here on this thread doesn't seem to me to pull strongly from other cultures, but rather seems to be composed of many cultural viewpoints, but is really it's own thing entirely, growing from nothing and with the strongest influences (again, in my opinion only) being from the geek/nerd trans-subculture, rather than from any of the individual cultures of the members.

All of this is a long-winded way to get around to the point. Subcultures often form when groups of people feel somewhat separated from the their own cultures for whatever reason. The "mad scientist" didn't become the "cool nerd" until computer science became such an important and necessary part of modern society. Nowadays, a geek is just as likely to be a weightlifting, athletic jock, or MMA fighter as anything else (well, maybe not JUST as likely, but still not uncommon), but it wasn't long ago that there was more of a stigma associated with it, and jocks vs. nerds movies seem to still be quite popular. I think I've rambled a bit here, but I'm finally getting to the conclusion. This thread provides a place of enjoyment for many, but for some it also provides a strong sense of belonging. I believe (acknowledging that this is without any attempt at formal proof) that there is a correlation between the amount of time spent on this thread, and the level to which the thread provides a sense of belonging and not just a place of enjoyment. Commensurate with this, is that a need for a sense of belonging here may reflect a reduced sense of belonging elsewhere. Let me emphasize that this is one of the things that I think is beautiful about what has been created and continues to be created here. A place for people to go, and feel like they belong and that other people appreciate them, who might not get that elsewhere as much as they want. It's "Cheers" for a whole group of people who have likely been following XKCD for a long time. If you do, in fact, spend 4 or 6 or 8 hours a day on here AND have a full time job AND have significant other activities with other cultural groups, then you definitely need less sleep than I do and I am equally happy that this place provides a community and culture for you as well.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Beanies travel sONGle file, to hide their numbers...

(Disclaimer: Traveling single file does not hide your numbers very well when you are viewed from the side)

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

HES wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Oh -- whoops. Misread ttscp's post earlier -- I took it to mean that there wasn't much posting between the ONGs, not that RudeDude was making all the ONG postings.

I did exactly the same thing, but then I have been messing up Density and Destiny since the beginning of Time...

Wait. What? I thought it was Dentistry... :shock:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
hajo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I have revised my guess to mining equipment, as others have suggested, because of the wheel-shaped doohickey ... Wikipedia calls it a "headframe."

A mine shaft that close to a cliff strikes me as odd.
Maybe that tower is a lighthouse, or a fire lookout tower ?

{P1012}
Are you sure it's a doohickey and not a thingummybob?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
HES wrote:

And here I was willing to bet it was Dynasty.

Montov

Postby Montov » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

With a new expansion of Civ5 out now, I have less time for the OTT. ;-(
So less ketchupping and more blitzing I'm afraid.

Molpy out.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:<snip> Oh no, a NP absolutely full of bears! I can't go over it, I can't go under it... I'll have to go THROUGH it!

Just grin and bear it. :D

Tangential discussion on spoilers and enjoyment:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:If you really wanted to, you could go back and read it all over again... :D Ready, set, go!

Haha, the problem is I'm one of those people who won't watch a movie twice because I find it boring once I know what to expect.

I read somewhere that it's good for the brain precisely because you know what to expect, so it's less effort and more relaxing. Can't find the link though, so there's always the possibility that I'm making it up :roll:

I remembered a similar study, so I dug it up: http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/soc/20 ... oilers.asp That one was done using short stories, and reached the conclusion that an audience will view the material more favorably after reading if they know what to expect from it beforehand. This is important to movie studios, who like favorable reviews, so that might explain the trailers that give away the plot (and why the same movie plots keep getting used over and over again). The commercial success of James Cameron films seems to bear this out. (Bear? Where?)

I've noticed this when it comes to long-anticipated sequels where a fan base expects one thing from the content creator, but is severely disappointed when given something unexpectedly different. In cases like that, I think a "fair warning" disclaimer is okay. Example: book with a horrible cliffhanger at the end, and no sequel. I hand this book to my friend, saying nothing. Later, she comes back and beats me over the head with it because "GAH WTC THERE'S NO ENDING!" I hand this book to a different friend, saying "Just a heads-up, it ends on a cliffhanger. But other than that, the story is brilliant and definitely worth reading." Later, she comes back and says, "I completely agree with you about the ending. It sucks. But the book is good." (This is also a case where the spoiler is general rather than specific.)

Now, all of this is talking about the reaction after consuming the media (om nom nom) which is different from the experience of reading/watching itself. Spoilers can definitely mustard up that experience. But if the reviews at the end of the day are more positive than negative ("I knew what was going to happen but I still thought the movie was decent.") the larger studios won't care. They'd like to avoid too much of the risk that comes with something "unexpected" and ensure profit.

mscha wrote:ETA: no molpies. My guess is that the GLR has moved on from molpies to beanies.

Unless the beanies are molpies in disguise.

Image Image Image

Redundant:
Spoiler:

MolpyBeanies.png
MolpyBeanies.png (6.97 KiB) Viewed 13046 times

Keywords: BGUM molpy beanie bunch smiley beanies evolve evolution sprite
redundant35.png
redundant35.png (61.38 KiB) Viewed 13046 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

kenmelken

Postby kenmelken » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

Hey, y'all. I have much ketchup to do, but probably can't this weekend. Ugh. BUT... I just went to weather.com, and this is the first thing I saw, so I thought of all of you:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
I told you it was redundant. I'm not even going to give you a cat!
risingsea.PNG
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
Rule110 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I do wish that the Beanie had added a third triangle for the Beanie Bunch, because the lack of uniformity in the quantities of the little shapes makes me think there is something else to be deduced from them...

Perhaps just a subtle hint that they find Cuegan a bit long-winded? (They're efficient self-motivated data-gathering types, presumably. Maybe in a normal day, barely half a dozen squiggles pass between them.)

(And if they saw this thread they'd run away screaming.)

But they've talked far more than Cuegan in the frames we've seen them in together.

Actually, no! From the start of the first Beanish utterance, to the end of the most recent Beanish utterance (which biases the count toward the Beanies being more loquacious, since it was actually Megan who started the face to face dialog with them, and Megan and Cueball both kept talking after the last Beanish words as the sand-drawing continued), Megan and Cueball spoke well over twice as many words as the Beanies. The word count is about 98 to 36. (Not counting "yawns" or when Cueball was repeating "water" in Beanish.)

(If you thought it was the reverse, that illustrates an interesting and not uncommon cognitive illusion; foreign words you don't understand grab your attention in a different way than familiar words that you can often ignore, such as someone saying "thank you" to someone else, and can make you think the foreign-speakers are "jabbering on" more than they really are, relatively speaking.)

For whatever reason (whether it's their general culture, or they're being very reserved in the presence of strangers, or they're just taciturn individuals selected for this observational work), the Beanies really do come across as very taciturn. For example they say nothing except to answer an obvious direct question while putting medicine on Megan's knee, and say nothing while handing Megan and Cueball cups of water. Most of us would have to buck ingrained habits to avoid saying things like "this might sting" and "here you are" even when we know the person won't understand. Even our molpypets probably think we're blabbermouths!
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
HES wrote:

The Die Nasties? I've actually heard of them... Out of Tennessee...

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:<big snip> It's "Cheers" for a whole group of people who have likely been following XKCD for a long time. If you do, in fact, spend 4 or 6 or 8 hours a day on here AND have a full time job AND have significant other activities with other cultural groups, then you definitely need less sleep than I do and I am equally happy that this place provides a community and culture for you as well.

Again, well said, and I think I agree with much of the thrust, but there are some particulars I'd like to nit-pick.

First, I think you will find that most of the posters here don't post and didn't post in any other xkcd fora or threads. So, while we may have followed xkcd for a long while, our particular passion is 1190 Time.

Second, I think the Cheers example is reasonably good, but the implication that we spend all of our time here is probably over generalizing. It is a place to spend somewhere between fifteen minutes to an hour or two, rather than watching tv or playing other computer games - for me the time is spread out throughout the day so it is hard to measure how much I spend or exactly what it replaces.

Third, I do think we have a community/culture/tribe even though the connections are looser than in most face-to-face tribes. That includes those of us who only pop in for a few minutes each day as well as those who are our most frequent posters. I have lunch on Fridays with a friend at a Subway, where CNN is playing all of the time. After enduring the depressing news, it's good to be able to have a place to check in where most of the time the conversation is light hearted and mostly positive.

I'm happy you've joined us and posted your thoughts, because it gave me a chance to think about my own position and involvement in the thread.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:<snip> Oh no, a NP absolutely full of bears! I can't go over it, I can't go under it... I'll have to go THROUGH it!

Just grin and bear it. :D

*groan*
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl wrote:Tangential discussion on spoilers and enjoyment:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:
Wildhound wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:If you really wanted to, you could go back and read it all over again... :D Ready, set, go!

Haha, the problem is I'm one of those people who won't watch a movie twice because I find it boring once I know what to expect.

I read somewhere that it's good for the brain precisely because you know what to expect, so it's less effort and more relaxing. Can't find the link though, so there's always the possibility that I'm making it up :roll:

I remembered a similar study, so I dug it up: http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/soc/20 ... oilers.asp That one was done using short stories, and reached the conclusion that an audience will view the material more favorably after reading if they know what to expect from it beforehand. This is important to movie studios, who like favorable reviews, so that might explain the trailers that give away the plot (and why the same movie plots keep getting used over and over again). The commercial success of James Cameron films seems to bear this out. (Bear? Where?)

I've noticed this when it comes to long-anticipated sequels where a fan base expects one thing from the content creator, but is severely disappointed when given something unexpectedly different. In cases like that, I think a "fair warning" disclaimer is okay. Example: book with a horrible cliffhanger at the end, and no sequel. I hand this book to my friend, saying nothing. Later, she comes back and beats me over the head with it because "GAH WTC THERE'S NO ENDING!" I hand this book to a different friend, saying "Just a heads-up, it ends on a cliffhanger. But other than that, the story is brilliant and definitely worth reading." Later, she comes back and says, "I completely agree with you about the ending. It sucks. But the book is good." (This is also a case where the spoiler is general rather than specific.)

Now, all of this is talking about the reaction after consuming the media (om nom nom) which is different from the experience of reading/watching itself. Spoilers can definitely mustard up that experience. But if the reviews at the end of the day are more positive than negative ("I knew what was going to happen but I still thought the movie was decent.") the larger studios won't care. They'd like to avoid too much of the risk that comes with something "unexpected" and ensure profit.

Interesting - I think that may also explain why fans of, say, a book series react so negatively when a film/TV adaptation changes something from the book.
BlitzGirl wrote:Unless the beanies are molpies in disguise.

Or maybe all the molpies so far have been BEANIES in disguise, spying on Megball!
ttscp wrote:Second, I think the Cheers example is reasonably good, but the implication that we spend all of our time here is probably over generalizing. It is a place to spend somewhere between fifteen minutes to an hour or two, rather than watching tv or playing other computer games - for me the time is spread out throughout the day so it is hard to measure how much I spend or exactly what it replaces.

You're right about that - I may seem to always be online here, but it's really just because I keep the thread open in a tab, having it in the background while I do work and things. It's quite therapeutic, being able to just pop over here if I need a break from the Outside.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
HES wrote:I did exactly the same thing, but then I have been messing up Density and Destiny since the beginning of Time...

SinusPi wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Wait. What? I thought it was Dentistry... :shock:

*Tumbleweed*

Spoiler:
download.jpg
download.jpg (7 KiB) Viewed 12964 times
Last edited by Wildhound on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
SinusPi wrote:
Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:
HES wrote:

The Die Nasties? I've actually heard of them... Out of Tennessee...

Sigh. I hate this city, lol. At least we have a full size Parthenon.

RudeDude wrote:donnerpartyONG
Spoiler:

mscha-ninja

Image I don't know why but seeing "mscha-ninja" had me uncontrollably giggling for about 2 minutes straight. I still have a huge smile on my face from it. This place is driving me bats. Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Second, I think the Cheers example is reasonably good, but the implication that we spend all of our time here is probably over generalizing. It is a place to spend somewhere between fifteen minutes to an hour or two, rather than watching tv or playing other computer games - for me the time is spread out throughout the day so it is hard to measure how much I spend or exactly what it replaces.

Third, I do think we have a community/culture/tribe even though the connections are looser than in most face-to-face tribes. That includes those of us who only pop in for a few minutes each day as well as those who are our most frequent posters. I have lunch on Fridays with a friend at a Subway, where CNN is playing all of the time. After enduring the depressing news, it's good to be able to have a place to check in where most of the time the conversation is light hearted and mostly positive.

I'm happy you've joined us and posted your thoughts, because it gave me a chance to think about my own position and involvement in the thread.

I agree entirely with your second point, and if I implied that most posters spend significant time here, that wasn't quite my intent. I merely meant to say that people who DO spend a lot of time here are LIKELY getting a sense of belonging, that they might not be feeling elsewhere and if they are, that's one of the really good things to come out of this strip. I'm not sure Randall thought significantly about what might grow around this strip, but if he did, I imagine it's surpassed what he expected. (In fact, one of my great curiosities is how much of this he planned and accomplished ahead of time. For all we know, he might have planned on things stopping at the beach, but carried on when he saw how great the reaction was. I hope one day we may learn about the process around the creation of this strip.)

I certainly agree with the third point as well. Part of the thesis of my argument was that a culture is indeed what has been created here. And what is great is that you can dip into it as little or as much as you like, or even not at all. If all you do is got on here and post about diacritics and languages, it has no discernible negative impact on the ongoing discussions on papacy, future posts from blitzers, redundakittens, and all the rest of it.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:Redundant:
Spoiler:
I told you it was redundant. I'm not even going to give you a cat!

Spoiler:
ynolike.png
ynolike.png (88.42 KiB) Viewed 12956 times
Keywords: BGUM redundakitty kitty like sad

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

Valarya wrote: I don't know why but seeing "mscha-ninja" had me uncontrollably giggling for about 2 minutes straight. I still have a huge smile on my face from it. This place is driving me bats. Image

My brown chihuahua Jar Jar told me to post her own reaction: "Meesa Ninja" If I knew how to get a picture up on here, I would let you see her in her karate stance.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image
Given that the kitteh is saying that while laying on the woman's lap, where is it going?
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Hardly any movONG.
Last edited by Valarya on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

ONG
Spoiler:

I see we both tried to go meta. Well, at least originally.
Last edited by HAL9000 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I see we both tried to go meta.

lgw

Postby lgw » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Unless the beanies are molpies in disguise.

Image Image Image

Redundant:
Spoiler:

MolpyBeanies.png

Keywords: BGUM molpy beanie bunch smiley beanies evolve evolution sprite
redundant35.png

Best laugh I've had all week, thanks! :lol:
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
mscha-ninja

Spoiler:

It's two trochees away from a robot ninja zombie bear.

Regarding spoilers and enjoyment, there's a PopStuff episode about that.

On the subject of misreading Eternal Density, how many of you have been misreading my username as Angeltastic all this time?

On the subject of the comic… uh… I got nothing. I'm sort of curious as to people's ideas about my ZL=understand hypothesis. Also, I think we know the word for 'yeah', from the water conversation. What other words do we have a good idea of? Sea (3water) I guess. And which symbols are likely to be ums and uhs?

ETA: If molpies in disguise go from one forum to another, are they transfora molpies in disguise?
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:On the subject of misreading Eternal Density, how many of you have been misreading my username as Angeltastic all this time?

Oh, wow...I've been reading it as Angletastic. My quantitative background allowed me to recognize Eternal Density, but it heartlessly betrayed me here.
Lost forever in time...

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

Karhell's letters to the Denizens of the OTT
Chapter 1011. Verses to be determined

Trikety trekety
Megan and Cueball are
Carrying on their walk
_on_ Through the Land
While in the OTT
TimeWaiters keep all their
Doubledidactilous
poems at hand

Right, for a first attempt at poetry, I believe that didn't turn out too bad...

And now, for the rest , more or less in chronological order :
Spoiler:
Yet another Rule110 SigPowerUp (I really like these ^^)
Rule110 wrote:Today's Blitzer Power-Up
Before reading a newpage, search and highlight 'lego'. You can safely skip any post in which the word appears! Unlimited Uses.

Doesn't look like properly reading it all to me, but still made me laugh :D

Some ongoing blitzing
partingLance spotted on NP 657, still Blitzing at this time! Hadn't seen you in a while !

Amidst the flood of D-Dactyls, mscha gets in trouble
mscha wrote:Helpety holpety
I can't stop writing my
posts as d-dactlys, please
    save me from this!
jjjdavidson,
what have you done, you have
broken me, something is
    very amiss!

Aaaaand... another vytron-comic, once again, good work, there :D

A pleasant surprise encouraged me to read even faster than usual
yappobicuits wrote:Edit: Also I see we only have 7 newpages to go before we come to... Well let's just say I'll be preparing a certain Iron Maiden parody for when we reach said newpage...

Oooooh, can't wait for that !
hang on, yes I can, all I have to do is...
wait for it
Aaaand here it is
viewtopic.php?p=3360887#p3360887
Really loved that one, what with being one of the songs that introduced me to heavy metal :D

Interesting read on the dialogue as seen so far
viewtopic.php?p=3360252#p3360252

Also, Tman2nd's sig bears some good news
tman2nd wrote:Keep going Blitzers! You can do it! I did!

You did it ? Yay ! Well done ! :D
Hope to meet you in the future.
*cue furiously accelerated reading*

I'll conclude this post with more OTT literature :
On NP665, with a whole newpix spanning double-post, Azule writes the story of the NewPixBot

--karhell - not logging out at the top of NP 667, and reading on

Blitzing edit to add a meter-mustarding forgotten word >.<
Last edited by karhell on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
Valarya wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:<big snip>
This last paragraph is more purely speculative than the rest of this post, but I suspect that many of the members of this community, at least those who spend a lot of time here, participating in all aspects of the culture, might not have strong cultural roots outside of here. This is based partly on the types of person I suspect are attracted to xkcd, and partly on what drives someone to spend significant amounts of time here. Again, I mean no offense, nor do I mean to over-generalize. Instead, the point I am trying to get around to, is that one of the more beautiful aspects of XKCD and this comic in particular, to me, is that it HAS (whether Randall explicitly intended this or not) created both a community and a culture, that provides a place for people to belong, to enjoy and to PARTICIPATE in the evolution of the culture.

I enjoyed reading your post b2bomber, but I have to comment on the piece quoted above. Yes, we have created a culture-community here.. but I think it's even more fascinating because the majority of the posters have different cultures outside of the thread and bringing them all together only adds to the individuality and overall awesomeness.

Spoiler:
I certainly didn't mean to imply that there weren't a lot of different cultural backgrounds represented here, and I agree totally that it adds to the wonder of a place like this, that so many different people can exist in relative harmony. I will try to explain further, not in any attempt to counter any of your points, all of which are well taken and I agree with, but because I enjoy expressing my thoughts on these matters. I think XKCD has always had a strong appeal to the type of people that might be classified as nerds/geeks. No, not everyone reading is a geek, and certainly not all geeks meet the normal stereotypes, but much of the comedy on the XKCD strip requires knowledge of math, physics, computer science etc. And certainly, much of our discussions on here are of a "geeky" nature. We exult in using small shifts in star patterns and planetary placements to work out a suggested time for the comic strip, we "discuss" whether a slightly changed curlicue on a letter in a strange language places it among category A or category B. We gleefully argue about whether an object looks more like a telescope or a theodolite, etc. For quite a while, a strong geek/nerd subculture has existed in modern society as a whole. I'm not even sure that "subculture" is the right phrase, since it implies, to me at least, a sub-group existing within a culture. In this case, at least since the internet exploded in popularity, "trans-subculture" might be a better description, since it is really a subculture that exists in many cultures, and connects across them. This is, in essence, what you were celebrating in your post, not specifically referring to nerds/geeks, but in a more general sense, that the culture here pulls people from many different cultures together into one place. And, it isn't quite the same melting pot effect as, say here in the USA, where our culture has been formed strongly by the influence of other cultures, mostly through the effects of immigration. The culture here on this thread doesn't seem to me to pull strongly from other cultures, but rather seems to be composed of many cultural viewpoints, but is really it's own thing entirely, growing from nothing and with the strongest influences (again, in my opinion only) being from the geek/nerd trans-subculture, rather than from any of the individual cultures of the members.

All of this is a long-winded way to get around to the point. Subcultures often form when groups of people feel somewhat separated from the their own cultures for whatever reason. The "mad scientist" didn't become the "cool nerd" until computer science became such an important and necessary part of modern society. Nowadays, a geek is just as likely to be a weightlifting, athletic jock, or MMA fighter as anything else (well, maybe not JUST as likely, but still not uncommon), but it wasn't long ago that there was more of a stigma associated with it, and jocks vs. nerds movies seem to still be quite popular. I think I've rambled a bit here, but I'm finally getting to the conclusion. This thread provides a place of enjoyment for many, but for some it also provides a strong sense of belonging. I believe (acknowledging that this is without any attempt at formal proof) that there is a correlation between the amount of time spent on this thread, and the level to which the thread provides a sense of belonging and not just a place of enjoyment. Commensurate with this, is that a need for a sense of belonging here may reflect a reduced sense of belonging elsewhere. Let me emphasize that this is one of the things that I think is beautiful about what has been created and continues to be created here. A place for people to go, and feel like they belong and that other people appreciate them, who might not get that elsewhere as much as they want. It's "Cheers" for a whole group of people who have likely been following XKCD for a long time. If you do, in fact, spend 4 or 6 or 8 hours a day on here AND have a full time job AND have significant other activities with other cultural groups, then you definitely need less sleep than I do and I am equally happy that this place provides a community and culture for you as well.

TL;DR :twisted:
Former OTTer

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

OMR, I can't believe all that's happening in the OTC! I miss you all terribly, and am dying to read your analyses, theories, wild ideas, etc, etc. Unfortunately, I'll still just be dipping in here or there--it's hell week for one show, getting ready for another show, and I'm working two jobs right now. But this weekend I'm hoping to start getting back into the OTT. Just read the latest NP, and I see you are all as wonderful, creative, and silly as ever. And some new posters! Yay!

OK, back to all that stuff Out There. *waves vaguely in the direction of the Outside* Hugs!

Molpy up and out.

*gets sucked back into the Outside*

edited to sign off properly.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:I see we both tried to go meta.

Spoiler:

Why thank you! If there's a joke hidden here, I don't quite get it, but have some cupcakes adorned with some of my fellow A.I.s as a thank-you:
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:On the subject of misreading Eternal Density, how many of you have been misreading my username as Angeltastic all this time?

So it's not Analgesic? :shock:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”