1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:00 am UTC

PartONG the curtain?
And with that I go coma. Tomorxip, barring disaster, I really will post new graphs. Good night, Mrs. MobTeeseboose, wherever you are! Molpy down...
EDITED to remove blocked cute meowlpy GIF. Argh.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Well, it seems I still can't edit or delete my posts.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:03 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
edo wrote:What's the thing suspended from the ceiling behind the door?
I think
Spoiler:
IT'S A TRAP!!!!

I think
Spoiler:
IT'S A CURTAIN!!

but that doesn't quite have the same ring to it :P

Not just a curtain, but one of those string curtains. Maybe even beaded curtain, but not enough detail to be sure.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ofvn2vw1872

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:04 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Latent22 wrote:Yeah I see lots of good discussion on the Musical score etc. One Idea I had to make it better for some of the musical score ideas is to standardize the time signature for the frames. We could make every normal frame take half a second which gives us a 2FPS movie of Time. Then on dialog/sound effect frames we pad out the audio to the next highest half second boundry. That means that the comic will have a constant 'beat' and if someone wants to make a score that takes advantage of that beat they can. Would really add to the tension at dramatic points where the beat lands on the change of scene each time.

Their may be exceptions like the meteor where you would do shorter than half second frames but if you make them say 5 x 0.2 second frames it will keep the beat intact after that point anyway.

If its just background mood music it wouldn't have to follow this beat at all but then you could add sections that do to add dramatic effect.

That seems to be what Taixzo is doing. As I've said many times before, I'd ideally like the timing of the frames to not be set in stone so you can still scroll through it in your own time, hence the dynamic music. Although, I was thinking maybe certain specific moments (like the raptorcat attack) would play through automatically at a set pace with a set score, in the way you suggest.

I think that the one measure/frame or other regularization of the music is interesting, but my preference would lie elsewhere for a sound product.
"It never seems to occur to people that a man might just want to write a piece of music"

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:04 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Well, it seems I still can't edit or delete my posts.

Can you try following this link? http://forums.xkcd.com/posting.php?mode=edit&f=7&p=3410546

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:05 am UTC

It they have bead curtains then we know it's after 1970, right?
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Chinchokmataa

Postby Chinchokmataa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:07 am UTC

Has anyone created a table showing how the SinusPi transliteration works? That could be a super useful thing to have. Currently, I'm trying to piece it together from the examples.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:08 am UTC

Right, so. I've recorded my voice a few times. Megan-1 and Megan-2 are the same lines with slightly different moods. Megan-3 is the "thousand lifetimes" line that BlitzGirl did, since it's nice and long and gives an apples/apples thing.

Megan-1.mp3
(370.69 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

Megan-2.mp3
(334.21 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

Megan-3.mp3
(105.13 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:13 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Right, so. I've recorded my voice a few times. Megan-1 and Megan-2 are the same lines with slightly different moods. Megan-3 is the "thousand lifetimes" line that BlitzGirl did, since it's nice and long and gives an apples/apples thing.

That's Wonderful buffygirl! Nearly perfect I think. We'll need some second opinions though. I liked the Megan-1 better. A bit more edge and backbone to her voice.

AluisioASG

Beacon Beta, Papal Decree

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:20 am UTC

Firsts things first:
Time Travelers: Welcome to Beacon Beta.

Please report to the Future Present if you're more then 5 pages behind.
The Tracker will be available soon.

Well, while I wait for that issue to be fixed, I'll post the papal decree here.

Image The Pope asks:
  • Where do you think the Beanies are leading Megball to?
  • Do you folks make backups?
  • Where are our phoenixes and platypodes?

Your opinion is of utmost importance for us. We are very happy to know more about you.
Selecting new quote…

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:22 am UTC

***Blindposting Ketchup Update from 1070***

Slow going todip, I am afraid. I have only made it to NP1070. Not much progress. Tomorrix I go back to work (still trying not to think about that) but I shall continue my efforts to reach the future present. In the meantime, I have been enjoying the past very much, though I have little to add, save but what follows. At some point, perhaps once I have reached the future present, I shall force upon you all the obligatory vacation picture slide shows and regale you all with stories of my encounters with molpybears, or the wonderful views of the inside of a cloud from Charlie's Bunion (not Mr. Grumbles').

@Charlie_Grumbles Thanks, as always, for the TdF updates. It is like getting a bonus ketchup blitz.

@macraw83 The number of frames needed for an 11 day movie
Spoiler:
macraw83 wrote:@k.bookbinder, RE: OTC as a feature-length film (NP790):[spoiler]
k.bookbinder wrote:
Wee Red Bird wrote:Apologies if this has already been asked...
The record for the longest film shown is 10 days long.
Would this count as a film, even though it has a slow frame rate?

Hm. If sped up to 24 frames per second, standard for 35mm film, then the OTC would last roughly 78 seconds. So let us be reasonable and suggest a frame rate of 2 per second. This should allow for enough time to read dialogue. Currently, as of this post, that should be 943 seconds of film, which is 15, nearly 16 minutes. If the OTC were to be a film (as in, a movie) with a frame rate of 2 frames per second (which is quite watchable at that rate) then we would need a total of 1,900,800 frames. We shall be waiting for it for a very, very long time.

Otherwise, at it's current rate, it is simply not a fair comparison, I think. And whilst I am a true devote and follower of the OTC, it would make for a very boring film, indeed.
I definitely don't see how your math works here...

A feature-length film is about 2np long. At a rate of [heresy] 2 fps [/heresy], that would require 2 x 60 x 60 x 2 = 14,400 frames, which will be reached in about 1.5 yips (assuming constant distribution of newpix for that long). If you used the nominal value for its framerate (12 times faster), it would require 172,800 frames, which will be in about 19.4 yips. A far cry from your 1.9M frames. Unless I can't mathamance well today, which is entirely possible.

If I remember correctly, I was calculating, at 2 fps, the number of frames needed to create movie of Time that would last 11 days, becoming the new record for the longest film. So 2 x 60 x 60 x 24 x 11 = 1,900,800.

@Rule110 & @BlueCrab Hiking pace
Spoiler:
Rule110 wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:I don't think I can consume as much ketchup as I have ahead of me; I think I'll call it a mini-blitz instead. A Blini!

First, though, on the question of whether or not we've seen them climb far enough to experience thin air:

Case 1
Assumptions:
A) One-to-one correlation of dix - from deciding to head into the mountains to reaching the foot of the tower took 37 dix. (In a row? :wink: !)
Never mind, assumption A doesn't work - 37 dix is a ch*rp of a long time to climb mountain this tame.
Okay, Case 2
Assumptions:
A) Time travelled - Each sleep is the end of a dip. Cuegan slept shortly before deciding to head into the mountains, then just before the wowterfall, then during the Long Dark Night, so they took 2.5 to 3 dix to reach the tower which looked like the top of the mountain.
B) Pace - Since they're used to walking a lot to get water, go to Ikea, etc, on level terrain they probably walk between 4 and 7 mph. (Reasoning: I walked and hiked a lot growing up but not in recent decades, and my comfortable walking speed is still about 4mph. In a hurry I can easily walk 6 mph for a few miles, so it makes sense to me that Cuegan could comfortably maintain 7mph.) A graded trail up a mountain would probably slow them to between 3 and 5 mph.
C) Distance covered - We decided that the LDN was at the beginning of spring, and that they're near the latitude of New York City, right? That means each dip has about 13.75 hours of light; allowing about 1.5 hours for waking, resting, and settling in gives them 12.25 hours of walking time per dip, so their pace is 36.75-61.25 mpd here, and they reasonably could have walked between 92 and 180 miles.
D) Elevation and Grade - I agree with Rule110's and Charlie_Grumbles' “hand-waving estimate” of between 8,000 and 9,000 feet for beginning to feel the altitude during a hike; it gibes with many things I've read and also with what I experienced on my only trip to that altitude. Let's say 9,000 feet because Cuegan are fit. A graded switchback trail (which wouldn't actually be needed on this mountain) will triple or quadruple the distance travelled to gain a given height, so the grade is somewhere between 8.5 % and 3.78 % (Right triangle with side a=9000 feet and side b=.25(92 or 180))
Case 2 conclusions: Cuegan could easily have climbed a shield volcano or mountain of similarly shallow angle to a height of 9,000 feet in the assumed time, even allowing for a graded switchback trail quartering their absolute distance.

Am I doing this wrong? It looks right on paper, but paper has been known to lie to me, and of course there's that whole ‘assume’ thing.

As for whether or not there's a mountain of this grade close enough to the sea... Haven't gotten that far yet!

I think your walking speed estimates are way high. Seven mph isn't a walk, it's a moderate running pace (nobody seems to use the word "jogging" any more) that will finish a marathon in under 3:45.

The Appalachian Mountian Club, as a rule of thumb for their mountain trail guide books, estimates 1/2 hour per mile plus 1/2 hour per 1000 feet of ascent. So, between 1 and 2 mph. If Megan and Cueball are in great shape I can see maybe 3 mph, absolute best case. That's if they're well fed, have ample water, not too hot or cold, and so forth. We don't even know what kind of footwear they have, but I'd guess it's not ultra-light breathable composite gel-insoled hiking boots.

Still, good analysis overall; it's easy enough to scale the numbers for slower estimated paces.

I've not had much to add during this ketchup blitz, and once this is read, it will be well after the fact, but just throwing this out there. My wife and I, on straight, level, even ground (pavement) can keep a walking pace of 4 to 5 mph for about 2 hours. We do this fairly regularly before, or after dinner. Whilst hiking in the Smokey Mountains, we could manage only about 1 to 2 mph, depending on the trail. Some trails, such as Meigs Mountain trail, it was easy to maintain a 2 mph pace (we tracked with GPS), with an overall vertical ascent of only about 600 feet over roughly 4 miles. However, trekking up to Silers Bald, we could barely manage over 1 mph with a vertical ascent of 1300 feet over roughly 5 miles. That trail was often times quite strenuous.

Regarding this thing Image
Spoiler:
OK. It is likely that this has been pointed out, as I am posting from the past, but this is an aspect of the language analysis that has been bothering me. I would like to point out that this character Image is the last character in the word that means "water" with a period. When the character appears with a circle, it is the last character of the word that means "water" with a question mark. That character should be represented without either the horizontal line or the circle. Also, the double line, I agree, signifies an exclamation point.

Molpy down!
Spoiler:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:26 am UTC

A string or beaded curtain (in combination with vigilant guards) is a good defense measure against invisible ninja/wizard/ring-of-power-wearing/deathly-hallows-cloak-wearing assassins or thieves. So, the likelihood that at least one of those exists in this world* has just increased.

*I can't rightly call it "Bucketworld" any more, because castles are now as prevalent as buckets (appearing in three places) and more dramatic. "Castlevania" is taken, so maybe "Castlegard."

Answers for the Pope:
- To the right.
- I try to avoid them but sometimes find them necessary for three-point turns and parking.
- Our Phoenixes are in our Izona, and the platypodes is on the opposite side of the earth from Australia.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:53 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Right, so. I've recorded my voice a few times. Megan-1 and Megan-2 are the same lines with slightly different moods. Megan-3 is the "thousand lifetimes" line that BlitzGirl did, since it's nice and long and gives an apples/apples thing.

That's Wonderful buffygirl! Nearly perfect I think. We'll need some second opinions though. I liked the Megan-1 better. A bit more edge and backbone to her voice.

:oops: Thank you! I would also like to hear the other female voices do an "edgier" voice (if they are so inclined) in addition to their initial voice -- options are good!

der_Metzger

Postby der_Metzger » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:57 am UTC

Did anyone else see them get to the village, have a flashback to the adventures of Link, then expect them to run into an Ironknuckle upon entering the big room?

I went to the trouble to make a nice png of this with Rebonack but the spamfilter wants me to post a few times before I can link to it.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:57 am UTC

Seeing the slow post rate, I'll bring an answer to my own First Question (and a prediction too):
And he strides among the tree-tops and is taller than the trees,
And his voice through all the garden is a thunder sent to bring...

What do you want, Amtoo?
Selecting new quote…

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:04 am UTC

BureaucracONG

The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:07 am UTC

Wow, now THAT's an office! That doesn't look like Beardo though. Maybe it's his secretary...

That was great, buffygirl! In the first one especially, you bring a certain childlike confidence to Megan, especially with the "I like our castle!", which I really like. :mrgreen:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:16 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Wow, now THAT's an office! That doesn't look like Beardo though. Maybe it's his secretary...

That was great, buffygirl! In the first one especially, you bring a certain childlike confidence to Megan, especially with the "I like our castle!", which I really like. :mrgreen:

I like that you like her "I like the castle" because I like her "I like the castle" too, and I like when like-minded people like the things that I like (although like-mindedness likely implies the mutual liking of such things in the first place).

Like no longer sounds like a real word :?

Anyway, in case it wasn't clear, I really...erm...enjoyed your Megan voice buffygirl!
Lost forever in time...

ofvn2vw1872

Postby ofvn2vw1872 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:21 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:BureaucracONG
Spoiler:

"The Wizard translator? But nobody can see the Great Oz Beardo! Nobody's ever seen the Great Oz Beardo!"
Last edited by ofvn2vw1872 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It never seems to occur to people that a man might just want to write a piece of music"

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:23 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Wow, now THAT's an office! That doesn't look like Beardo though. Maybe it's his secretary...

I'm still hanging onto my theory that Beardo is in fact a pointy-chinned big-haired boss lady 8-) In which case this may well be she.

There is another beaded curtain behind her though, so she might only be the gatekeeper...

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:31 am UTC

To me that looks like she's the organist in the great casthedrel.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

hajo

Postby hajo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:32 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Wow, now THAT's an office! That doesn't look like Beardo though.
Maybe it's his secretary...:

Yay - new hairstyle ! So, is she still a Beanie ?

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:34 am UTC

Looks like there's some sciencey stuff going on in the pattern of the window - I see levers and fulcrums (fulcra?), at least. Also pizza.

Oh and yappo, your soundtrack plans sound brilliant :mrgreen: I don't think I can contribute much, as although I have been a musicy type in the past, not so much any more - I no longer have room for a piano, I sold my flute to buy vodka at uni and my guitar got bashed around a bit much and now makes a nasty buzzing sound when I plug it in :oops: My voice is nothing fabulous either but if you're contemplating some kind of virtual choir, I'd love to be in the chorus.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:37 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:<snip> my guitar got bashed around a bit much and now makes a nasty buzzing sound when I plug it in :oops:

Sounds like the earth wire has come loose. Might just need a bit of soldering!

And a virtual choir is a possibility!

Bad Hair Man

Postby Bad Hair Man » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:41 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:Keep going Blitzers! You can do it! I did!

Bad Hair Man: Don't worry about being derivative. You're not the only one to have followed in BlitzGirl's footsteps.

The quote button doesn't actually quote people's signatures, but I am well versed in the ancient forbidden art of copy/paste.

It's weird to see a message sent to me this way.

I'm currently on page 212, April 1, Cueball just returned to help Megan finish her enormous mound *cough*. I presume context will eventually occur later in this thread explaining what a "Blitzer" is. (My best guess is that it describes someone who did like Blitzgirl did, reading through the entire thread and not being afraid to make posts while still massively behind, like I'm doing now.)

Thanks for the encouragement though. I hope it doesn't take me four months to get caught up and trip over this message I'm sending to the distant future. (That is, unfortunately, my current rough estimate of how long it will take though.)
HAL9000 wrote:The Passover bunny walks on water! So he be an representation of Horus!

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:43 am UTC

Megan-1.mp3

Megan-2.mp3

Megan-3.mp3

That sounds great. I liked Megan2 better, for three reasons:
1. It's slower and a bit easier to understand (especially to non-native English speakers)
2. No exhale noises (which can be removed, but it takes work)
3. The mood seem to fit the scene better. At that point I imagine they are tired from all the building and are resting and pondering about the mysteries of the sea...)

Did I say great work yet?
It's about time.

Eternal Density

(something like that)

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:48 am UTC

Charm Quark wrote:

I like that you like her "I like the castle" because I like her "I like the castle" too, and I like when like-minded people like the things that I like (although like-mindedness likely implies the mutual liking of such things in the first place).

Like no longer sounds like a real word :?

Anyway, in case it wasn't clear, I really...erm...enjoyed your Megan voice buffygirl!
That's the most times I've seen the word 'like' used validly in a sentence. And you used it entirely in the verb sense and not in the simile sense , apart from in the final sentene :D (I like to call improper use of 'like' an 'improper simile'. That's like when people are like saying something and it's really like annoying and like don't you like hate it? Sorry I'm ashamed I even wrote that but I had to demonstrate improper similes somehow.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Eliram wrote:

Megan-1.mp3

Megan-2.mp3

Megan-3.mp3

That sounds great. I liked Megan2 better, for three reasons:
1. It's slower and a bit easier to understand (especially to non-native English speakers)
2. No exhale noises (which can be removed, but it takes work)
3. The mood seem to fit the scene better. At that point I imagine they are tired from all the building and are resting and pondering about the mysteries of the sea...)

Did I say great work yet?

Thanks!

This was just a recording on the fly (via my iPhone). For the "real deal" I pretty much feel that exhale noises would be unacceptable (unless, of course, it is an intentional part of the production). :)

At any rate - this wasn't intended as a final product, and I think that for whoever is chosen, direction will be needed in terms of mood, tone, etc for any given scene. Also, I think it would be GREAT if there were some way to have the Megan and Cueball actors able to record together (how? I have no idea, but there must be some way to make that happen) so their responses to one another are more natural and seamless-sounding.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Not hellONG
Selecting new quote…

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:06 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Not hellONG
Spoiler:

Well, I should hope they're not being taken to hell! Unless this is turning into Randall's Inferno, in which case the sign above the secretary probably reads "Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here."

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:07 am UTC

Translation: "Molpy up".
buffygirl wrote:<snip> Also, I think it would be GREAT if there were some way to have the Megan and Cueball actors able to record together (how? I have no idea, but there must be some way to make that happen) so their responses to one another are more natural and seamless-sounding.

Skype? :P

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:09 am UTC

Same thing was said on the hill up to the castle.
Spoiler:
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Eternal Density

Because chasing nothing got boring eventually.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Is that supposed to be a chair or is desk-person half chicken?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Moose Anus wrote:Same thing was said on the hill up to the castle.
Spoiler:

Indeed it was. Based on that it would seem to be a common / mutable greeting - in Strine, "G'day" rather than "Good Morning" - it's been used between two people in an informal setting as well as the ?secretary? Beanie to the approaching group in the more formal setting.

Incidentally, saying "G'day" is really simple. The hard gutteral that is the start of the G leads directly into the "day". The G is no more than 1/10th? of a second; if you think about teaching a child to say the "G" sound, just take the first half of that then say day afterwards.

Eternal Density wrote:Is that supposed to be a chair or is desk-person half chicken?

Suspect the Beanie is sitting on the front half of one of these (or a chair based on this):

Kazza3

Re: Long-page Ketchup

Postby Kazza3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:22 am UTC

X, A’Lb!

Ketchup!

Soundtrack discussion:
These are some great ideas, especially re: not doing a regular 'film' composition to set times. GLR's writing in an unconventional medium and we'll need an unconventional form of music to match it. Yappo, your loop idea is great (though I usually prefer a more normal compositional framework, this makes more sense for the OTC), but it does throw up some challenges (this is partially repeating what you've said before, but anyway):
- A new OTC player would need to be made with the soundtrack in-built (or one of the previous ones altered). I agree with your idea, Yappo, that the viewer can scroll through as they wish, but do we make the player scroll through automatically (unless the viewer changes it), at a set pace depending upon what's going on, so we can roughly set the loops and music to it? Seeing as we can guess people are gunna make the walking scenes scroll through fast etc, we need to have a rough guideline for how much music is needed in a given area.
- Do you have groups of frames (say, a group of connected journeying frames), through which a specific looping audio file is played (as opposed to a new loop each frame), given that the walking frames are scrolled through quickly?
- When you move to the next frame or set of frames which need a new loop for some reason, does the player wait until the end of the bar/end of the loop before moving on, so there aren't sudden stops in the middle of loops?
- As has been discussed, you would need the one-off moments, for raptorcats, and wowtrees, and such. Depending on whether this event begins a set of frames, I assume this could be done by having the one-off that doesn't loop, followed by a loop that both effectively comes out of the one-off and is able to loop consistently, if you follow me.

Also:
- Is this soundtrack definitely being combined with the voice-over project? It seems like a good and fun idea, and they'd form another set of one-off moments, as described above.

As for the content:
yappobiscuits wrote:I have been thinking about it, I think mainly ambient background stuff apart from certain special moments where things get more exciting. Stylistically, a mix of ambient electronic with some orchestral elements. Maybe some post-rock touches too.

Sounds good!

I definitely like the themes, I'd tend to want them in more of a leitmotify direction, rather than having 'main' themes as such. For Cuegan's (FTFY) theme/motif, I'd tend to have two short motifs (only 3-4 notes) each for Cueball and Megan, for when they're apart, and then the Cuegan theme is the combination of them. I'm not sure you need multiple variations on the nature theme- the wowtrees moment would essentially be a grand statement of the discovery theme, with some nature thrown in. I also think the Beanie's theme should be considerably contrasting to previous themes, probably more percussive (but you were probably thinking this anyway). And for LaPetite, for some reason what comes to mind is a tiny little recorder ditty, sailor-like, so then when the Fading comes, and all the music is fading out, right at the end, for a moment you hear this quaint recorder tune in the distance, even though you can't see her...

More musician discussion:
Spoiler:
NoMouse wrote:
Valarya wrote:*ahem* Hi. *shakes your hand* I'm a trumpet player. I'm better than you. :P jk jk - but I laughed. My daughter is 12 and sits 1st chair French Horn so we're a happy lil brass family. Brass is always better.. oops, did I do it again? :mrgreen:

Oh hey, hi! Maybe you're better than me but I'm better than you too! :mrgreen: Yes, trumpet player here. How many musicians are there in the OTT anyway? Maybe we could form OTB - The One True Band. :lol:

So, what have we got so far for a possible OTB? (This is from memory, sorry if I missed anyone.) I'm not necessarily suggesting that this will definitely happen, but we might as well have a list anyway.

Yappobiscuits: Piano/keyboards, guitar, bass, accordion, tin whistles, recorder, clarinet, tenor banjo, ukelele, percussion, voice
Fhorn: french horn
Valarya: trumpet
lmjb1964: percussion, viola, voice
NoMouse: trumpet
ucim: piano, guitar, hammer dulcimer, accordion
Ximenez: ?
HAL9000: piano
ofvn2vw1872?
taixso?
xpatiate?
Angelastic: rainstick!
cellocgw: cello, bass
Kazza3: clarinet, alto sax, guitar, piano, voice

The proliferation of brass players is an interesting demographic. Some might say it's because brass players are intelligent and thus drawn to a comic such as this... but the truely enlightened observer knows it's because the brass player gets no gigs and thus spends all his/her time at the computer instead. :mrgreen:

fhorn wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:Very nice. Limitations of movable do, never!

Until you start trying to sight-sing Bartok and beyond :shock:

Ugh, yes, I can see how that could present obstacles.
fhorn wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:Very nice, but it needs more horn rips! :D

Love, love, love Yappo's epic orchestral music selection, but Kazza3, doesn't it always???!? :twisted:

:twisted:
Ximenez wrote:Oh, and I'm a musician also (not professional, though (I'm a writer (not in English, though (maybe in Unglish (but I feel comfortable in Spanish))))).

What do you play? (I personally hope you sing, because I love Spanish vocals... speaking of such things, your username reminds me of another musician.)

yappobiscuits wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:Blindpost:
So many musician replies that I'll have to ketchup! But yappo, your ideas sound great and you should definitely take the helm. I'd like to assist, but I'm a bit stretched for time, and on the performing side of it, I only have access to my recording facilities for a week before returning to uni student accommodation. But I'll elaborate later.

Should do what I did and keep your recording facilities as compact as possible! I have a laptop, audio interface, studio monitors, external hard drive for samples and things, and one mic plus accessories. When I was at uni I would just transfer all that between home and student accomodation.

Well, I do have an interface and laptop, but it's a more a noise issue (especially as I largely play loud wind instruments).

And:
AluisioASG wrote:Kazza3:
Spoiler:

Thankyou! :) And licorice is indeed the most relevant flavour..
Last edited by Kazza3 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:07 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

isengrimthereckless

Postby isengrimthereckless » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:27 am UTC

PhoenixRising wrote:*snip*

You wouldn't be the first, judging by some the stuff BlitzGirl has found. But the chaos caused is terrible, since we have no way of seeing what post(s) is (are) edited without re-reading the entire thread. Gonna take a Time Lord Randall himself to fix the disaster if you edit something located earlier in Time than BlitzGirl's current location, since afaik nobody else is reading the entire thread, so nobody would be able to tell us you made the edits...

As a mad old man with a box, I can assure you that edits resolve themselves... by and large.

I couldn't resist the pull of the silly quote, but now back to the time diving, er, blitzing. 361/1116

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:30 am UTC

Gotta post this before I get all self-conscious and decide against it

My Cueball Audition

42 guests

Postby 42 guests » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:44 am UTC

Animation of the door, if no one has made one yet.
bead_door.gif
bead_door.gif (3.89 KiB) Viewed 13848 times
The One Who Left the Shadows

"What does the sound of 42 people watching Time sound like?"
- AluisioASG

nerdsniped

Re: Because chasing nothing got boring eventually.

Postby nerdsniped » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:57 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Is that supposed to be a chair or is desk-person half chicken?

This made me laugh so hard to myself that I then had to explain to my wife why the bed was shaking. (In bed.)
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:02 am UTC

Her hair is impressively lONG!

ETA: My schizo-blitz appears to be over before it even began...I've never thought of ketchup as a particularly Time-consuming condiment before, but I certainly do now. Just no time left for blitzing nowanewpix.

Eternal Density wrote:That's the most times I've seen the word 'like' used validly in a sentence. And you used it entirely in the verb sense and not in the simile sense , apart from in the final sentene :D (I like to call improper use of 'like' an 'improper simile'. That's like when people are like saying something and it's really like annoying and like don't you like hate it? Sorry I'm ashamed I even wrote that but I had to demonstrate improper similes somehow.

Thanks!

Now I'm going to molpy down feeling all, like, fuzzy inside!

Spoiler:
Last edited by Charm Quark on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost forever in time...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”