1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NetWeasel

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:BabblONG

Spoiler:
[img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/75a06a9400ac63f5981d690f28155fb3215c7df4e21040f63d539e77b95402db.png[/img

Whence have you traveled me?E
Spoiler:
whence.png

ETA: Hold on.. I just goatted the PagePope who quoted this message before I posted it????
I think I need a ruling here...
Last edited by NetWeasel on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:Seems she started out with "from where" but then decided on "whence..."
Spoiler:
whence.png

Oh good catch! I didn't even realize there were extra words in there. How would this translate to speech do you think? It's weird how Randall is displaying it. Weird and neat!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

The reason for the usage of "somewhat" and "whence" could be that she is speaking an old and corrupted/half-learned version of Cuegan's language. Imagine if someone learned English from a Chinese to English dictionary published in 1800 and then tried to talk to us today. We'd be able to communicate, but not only would the accent be horrible, but the word usage would be outdated and oddd as well. I am guessing that Long-hair Lady learned Cuegan speech from an old book. Or maybe the Beanish school/education system has a class on Cueganese, but the teachers learned it from the previous generation of teachers and no one has spoken fluent Cueganese in generations. It'd be like someone who learned Latin in highschool going back in time to talk to the Romans.

ETA:
Also, is Long-har Lady supposed to be Beardo?

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:TransliteratONG!

So the last line would be expected to be "- Who are they? - People we met. - They speak gibberish."
There's a couple nice matches between this and initial dialogue - ZL' reappears ("they"?), again coupled with 34'6 once. Also, NUq'.

Thanks again for the transliteration work! I was just looking at some of those same repetitiONGS

After my morning cat soup and reviewing the latest transliteration here is some new speculation in the form of a dictionary.
    Xc & X,c = yes
    M32 = greeting (formal?)
    X, A`Lb,. = greeting (informal? maybe like "aloha" including good-bye? X is like Xc so "good day, yeah")
      X = yeah
      A`Lb = g'day
    37cNA = big-town? (not beardo/big-hair)
    NUq & NUqc = foreigner?
    G3'7 = here/this-is
    34cGX = big-land?
    42bJ = water
    342bJ = big-water (sea)
    ZL' 34'6 = something related to the sea? "rising" ?

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Whence have you traveled me?E

Whence have you traveled he(r)e

I love it how there's the "from where" in the background. Fantastically creative way of depicting the pidgin/accented "Cueglish" being spoken by Hairdo.

The only downside to it is the complexity makes it unlikely we'll advance quickly through the exposition dialogue here. The time to draw the lettering must be significant... I'm once again struck by how much outsider time the GLR is investing in Time.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

OK, we now have a clue to Beanie sentence construction.

Prediction: Beardo is behind the other curtain, or in a hermit's hut behind the castle. He speaks better Unglish, but with Beanong sentence construction (speak like Yoda he will, hmm, yes?) -- at least for a while.

Linguisticianals awayyyyy......
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: Ketchup: Part 2

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

*peeks in*
I'm fascinated by Hairdowhatserface's translation, but have no Time to discuss today!

HES wrote:@Blitzgirl you're being like when parents say they're going out, so you invite your friends round, and then they keep popping back home for things. You almost caught me sneaking beers out the fridge last time you posted...
I mean this in a nice way, of course. I apologise for the parent analogy, especially as we're pretty much the same age

Don't worry, I feel old in terms of thread-age, some xips. :P

higgs-boson wrote:Hairdo does not seem a proper name for a beautifulYES I STILL KNOW woman with such pretty long hair.

Try saying "Last night I dreamed of Hairdo." without feeling very, very strange.

I don't know that "Last night I dreamed of Beardo," or "Last night I dreamed of Cueball," is any better. :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:ETA: I'm not sure why, but I think that's an (elderly, wise) woman sitting on the beanie equivalent of a rocking chair on the porch.

I thought "woman" too for some reason, probably the hat style.
Picard when he's tending the grapevines, that's where I've seen it before.
image.jpg
image.jpg (35.22 KiB) Viewed 11711 times
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

I'm blindposting somewhat here, but I find it quite funny that Beardo appears to actually be Frizzyhair, and that I don't think anyone on here suggested the possibility that the drawing was actually a woman with a big halo of hair.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

It certainly looks like she's trying to ask "Where do you come from?"

BlueCrab wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
mscha wrote:ETA: I'm not sure why, but I think that's an (elderly, wise) woman sitting on the beanie equivalent of a rocking chair on the porch.

I thought "woman" too for some reason, probably the hat style.
Picard when he's tending the grapevines, that's where I've seen it before.
image.jpg

He aged a lot better in reality anyway.

b2bomberkrh wrote:I'm blindposting somewhat here, but I find it quite funny that Beardo appears to actually be Frizzyhair, and that I don't think anyone on here suggested the possibility that the drawing was actually a woman with a big halo of hair.

I'm pretty sure it was suggested, but I don't remember by whom. The reason I didn't suggest it myself was that someone already had IIRC.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

RudeDude wrote:After my morning cat soup and reviewing the latest transliteration here is some new speculation in the form of a dictionary.
    Xc & X,c = yes
    M32 = greeting (formal?)
    X, A`Lb,. = greeting (informal? maybe like "aloha" including good-bye? X is like Xc so "good day, yeah")
      X = yeah
      A`Lb = g'day
    37cNA = big-town? (not beardo/big-hair)
    NUq & NUqc = foreigner?
    G3'7 = here/this-is
    34cGX = big-land?
    42bJ = water
    342bJ = big-water (sea)
    ZL' 34'6 = something related to the sea? "rising" ?

I'm inclined to guess X,c as both "yes" and "good", which would couple well with X, A'Lb, as "good day". (Assuming X, is the root, and the X,c modified form doesn't completely change its meaning.)
34'6 seems too short to be sea-related, I think it's big-4'6, whatever that is.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:The reason for the usage of "somewhat" and "whence" could be that she is speaking an old and corrupted/half-learned version of Cuegan's language. Imagine if someone learned English from a Chinese to English dictionary published in 1800 and then tried to talk to us today. We'd be able to communicate, but not only would the accent be horrible, but the word usage would be outdated and oddd as well. I am guessing that Long-hair Lady learned Cuegan speech from an old book.

I think she's learned it from an old, smudged book.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Just popping in real quick before I leave this morning to say: She's sort of saying "where did you come from, how did you get here?"

Whence: adv. From where; from what place or conj. By reason of which; from which

Whence did you travel here? becomes From where did you travel [to] here? or less likely By what reason did you travel [to] here

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:ETA: Hold on.. I just goatted the PagePope who quoted this message before I posted it????

You two just broke the space-time continuum... How in the hell could he quote your message that was submitted at the precisely same second? :shock:

Prediction:
Megan answers: We're from the... *yawn* ...we're from the sea. We're from the sea and we have to sleep.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:Dialog prediction:
Long Haired One wrote:Good.

Cuegan wrote:We come from the sea, it is rising.

Long Haired One wrote:Yes, we know.

Cuegan wrote:Why is it rising.

Long Haired One wrote:Let me show you our records.

I re-assert this prediction from 1 newpix ago (kindly ignore the first part by the Long Haired One).
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Montov

Postby Montov » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

Arky wrote:I love it how there's the "from where" in the background. Fantastically creative way of depicting the pidgin/accented "Cueglish" being spoken by Hairdo.

I propose we call it "Beanglish".

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:ETA: Hold on.. I just goatted the PagePope who quoted this message before I posted it????

You two just broke the space-time continuum... How in the hell could he quote your message that was submitted at the precisely same second? :shock:

I may have stumbled upon the answer to the question of "how do I keep getting ninjONGed?"
The messages are sorted by post time -- possibly in minutes. If two posts have the same post time... what's the second sort criterion? Name? in reverse?

If we both post something the same minute, does yours automatically go first? even if I'm 15 seconds ahead?

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:The messages are sorted by post time -- possibly in minutes.

Dollars to peanuts say it's seconds, as Unix timestamps are used.
Also, your captcha says "74'WS 374'WS". What did I win?
Last edited by SinusPi on Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:

"Last edited by mathmannix at newpix 2868.26, edited 4 times in total."
I assume he edited in the quote later.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:I'm blindposting somewhat here, but I find it quite funny that Beardo appears to actually be Frizzyhair, and that I don't think anyone on here suggested the possibility that the drawing was actually a woman with a big halo of hair.

I always thought it was funny that everyone referred to her as beardo, I just didn't have time to keep up with the thread and post about it. When the image of "beardo" was first shown, I referred to her as the oracle I believe, though I don't think I specified gender. I never really assumed anything but long hair.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:So here's my version of the line you and BlitzGirl did.

Neat! You and Yappo would make a great Cuegan...
Go Minim go!

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
It might be just a bit easier to reach an intuitive understanding of why this works, by considering higher bases. If you look at the set of all real numbers that have a "9" in their decimal expansions, for instance, that set looks like "most" of the real numbers. (10% have a 9 as their first digit, about 10% of the remaining ones have a 9 as their second digit, and so forth; so by the time you've looked at an infinite number of digits, the fraction of real numbers remaining is precisely zero percent.) And yet, obviously the set of "real numbers that don't have a 9 anywhere in their decimal expansion" is still pretty big (it includes, for instance, a lot of rationals like 1/3), and you can match its members up one to one with the full set of real numbers by referring to their expansions in base 9.

In what sense do 10% of the real numbers have a 9 as their first digit? Percents don't even have a good definition when it comes to infinite sets. Comparing whether one infinite set "looks like" another only has meaning when referring to properties of the set, and "percent with 9 as a first digit" is not a well-defined property of the real numbers, nor even the rational numbers or integers. In fact, since we are discussing the real numbers as an infinite set, instead of as a field, the cardinality of the set is pretty much the only property that is well defined. An infinite subset of the real number is either the same cardinality as all of the real numbers, in which case it is not just "like" the real numbers, it is identical to them, or it is not, in which case it is completely unlike them. (Most likely this means the subset is identical to the integers, but no one has managed to prove yet that there are no cardinalities between the integers and the real numbers.)

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

Montov wrote:
Arky wrote:I love it how there's the "from where" in the background. Fantastically creative way of depicting the pidgin/accented "Cueglish" being spoken by Hairdo.

I propose we call it "Beanglish".

Seconded, on both points. Randall's come up with a really creative solution to the garbled-speech to text issue.

Thanks for the congratulations and cupcakes, SBN and Valarya. Disappointingly I didn't get a scroll, just a neat (as in tidy, not Meganish) folder, because my university is boring.

The difficulty in communicating makes a cut-to-the-chase, introductionless conversation more likely. I can see this getting tedious too, but at least we're learning...

Though this is all a moot point since netweasel and mathmannix have broken time - this is what happens when a whale drives a delorean into the tardis
He/Him/His Image

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:I may have stumbled upon the answer to the question of "how do I keep getting ninjONGed?"
The messages are sorted by post time -- possibly in minutes. If two posts have the same post time... what's the second sort criterion? Name? in reverse?

If we both post something the same minute, does yours automatically go first? even if I'm 15 seconds ahead?

I don't think so. It has to be the same second, the timestamp contains seconds10 so why would it ignore it? It would happen much more often if it was the case. Also it was said before that when one of the two edits the message later, it can switch position.
If I recall correctly from another forum where this was discussed, the reason for ninja-posts is that the post was already submitted before you even click "Reply"20. It should be shown under the "Post a reply" dialog (but nobody checks that) therefore it does not warn you there is new message.

10 Oh, you have to change it in personal settings, to see seconds
20 The same-second posts is another case
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
NoMouse wrote:

no... I saw it quoted at the top of this page while mine was at the bottom of the previous one.
I hit refresh and the positions reversed.
Weird.

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

DuetONG:

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

:idea: I guess 1.0 (a.k.a. 0.9999999999...) is in that set of numbers with a 9 in their decimal expansions. :twisted:
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:<snip>That would explain some things.

Somewhat
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Arky wrote:

I hate to criticize, but I think the word "you" should have been written more cleanly, because that's a basic word I'd expect this long-haired person to have a good handle on.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
patzer wrote:
NoMouse wrote:

no... I saw it quoted at the top of this page while mine was at the bottom of the previous one.
Weird.

That exact phenomenon caused... erm... certain incidents a few hundred NP back. When you edit a post it sometimes bumps ahead of other posts that were posted at the "same time".
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:
Arky wrote:

I hate to criticize, but I think the word "you" should have been written more cleanly, because that's a basic word I'd expect this long-haired person to have a good handle on.

Thou hast certainty of this?
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
NoMouse wrote:

Yeah, that has to be it. But why would he post the message in the first place, given that the future-quote and the reply to it is the only thing it contains? It's still a time-travel paradox. :D

sciakybros

Postby sciakybros » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:
Arky wrote:

My impression is that Randall is conveying accent along with mispronunciation in the messiness.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:
Arky wrote:

Hairdo probably has a good handle on the word, but not its pronunciation, if xe learnt it from text or simply if it has sounds not available in Beanish. English speakers don't usually pronounce the Dutch u or French tu correctly at first either, even if they understand the grammar and spelling very well.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

Late-post:
NetWeasel wrote:That thing in the window...

IT'S A FACE!
THIS FACE!
Spoiler:
ImageImage

Great catch! No I can't unsee it. :)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
patzer wrote:
NoMouse wrote:

Weird.

Here's my ruling, since you asked for one. You are co-popes and co-goats. (Not that I have any power to make rulings.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
NetWeasel wrote:
patzer wrote:
NoMouse wrote:

Weird.
Here's my ruling, since you asked for one. You are co-popes and co-goats. (Not that I have any power to make rulings.)

That won't do. How can we follow the decrees of 2 different popes at the same time?
Maybe we should continue discussing it though, until we move past this newpage of time-traveling posts.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

As a foreign English speaker (and not very good at that), I can relate to Farrah Hairdo Beanie. Painfully so.

When you learn English from books, you get a distorted view of word usage and few, if any, clues about pronunciation. Also, it's somewhat hard to understand native speakers when they speak fast (or on top of each other, like in the present frame), so there will/should be difficulties on that front.

(Multiple edits trying to make this look less gibberish.)
Last edited by Ximenez on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:20 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:
NetWeasel wrote:
patzer wrote:
NoMouse wrote:

Weird.

That won't do. How can we follow the decrees of 2 different popes at the same time?
Maybe we should continue discussing it though, until we move past this newpage of time-traveling posts.

I don't think it matter's because the page is (pretty much) over now anyway. (hehe, post #40 if I counted correctly)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”