1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NetWeasel

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

I really wish this (fuzzy language thing) had been done during the "water, Helen" phase back at first camp...
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

SinusPi wrote:As for the BIG WORDS, it might even go as far as convey her attempt to overlay onto English some language features not present in it - specific tone of voice for an apology or request, honorific forms, etc.

I think this is a good interpretation...it's definitely significant that the punctuation marks are in Beanish. Either the pattern of enunciation associated with questions and statements is different in Beanish, or the circle and the line are suffixes that denote questions and statements in Beanish. I lean toward the former, as Hairdo has done a pretty good job sticking to correct Unglish grammar in the rest of her speech, while there is some reason to believe that she's pronouncing or enunciating words in a confusing way.

ETA: Sorry about my clutter-o-genic comments. My idea to expand the thread into a mini-forum was an attempt to give people places to post where they wouldn't have to worry about being seaish at the expense of blitzers, and I would certainly never support a situation where the OTT would be reduced to on topic only discussion. I can see though that in many ways the current system is optimal.
Last edited by Charm Quark on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost forever in time...

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Maybe "please" is larger because it's a word she knows well, and is supposed to be easier for M&C (and thus for us readers) to understand?
I think it's because Rosetta Farrah knows that this is an important meeting, and very much wants to communicate and keep things on a good level.

NetWeasel wrote:I really wish this (fuzzy language thing) had been done during the "water, Helen" phase back at first camp...
"water, Helen" phase?
eta: Oh, yeah. Never mind.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:I really wish this (fuzzy language thing) had been done during the "water, Helen" phase back at first camp...

But the beanie had just spoken the word, he didn't have to put it together out of context, or remember it from years earlier. Nor was he trying to put together sentences, he just repeated the one phonemic group that he heard. Though yeah, it is another example of how precocious Cuegan are.

Anyone else think the line at the top of the E in PLEASE looks like a beanie diacritic?

Hear me oh brothers and sisters who wait. The papacy is dead! Long disregarded by the masses, lacking the power in held in ancient days long past. Empires have risen to take the place of the papacy, but always they fall into obscurity, the legacy of our orthodoxy taking it's place at our head once more. The time has come for a new revolution my brothers and sisters! I declare myself El Presidente! (for a page) but... um... I don't have any decree...

oh :( I was El Presidente a second ago... first-post maybe?
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:36 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

edfel

Postby edfel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:
Montov wrote:The big "I" is because that is an easy word she knows, so she emphasizes it. Like singing along a song where you get less vocal at parts you don't know very well, but loudly sing the parts you do know.

And I want to highlight the extraordinary effort of GLR. Some nice landscapes, and the stars required some research, but inventing a completely new language and introducing visualization of Beanglish is completely off the charts.

But Randall is very definitely the sort of person who may have invented a language at some point in his youth... It's not necessarily a fabrication for the OTC. In fact, it's even possible that he had the language and nothing to do with it, and that triggered the idea for a comic with progression...

My thought too. Yet, I think it's possible He picked a random language somewhere, and just changed the alphabet. I've tried to match Lojban but it doesn't fit ("sea" is not spelled as "big-water"). Any other idea?

Pfhorrest wrote:I think this raises an interesting question for your religion here.

Did the Creator have every step of the OTC planned out from the start, or is he allowing his characters free will and their world some randomness (i.e. making shit up as he goes along)?

One of my favorite comics [the one featuring my avatar's character, btw], is an epic adventure in 10 volumes with very ambitious quests, lots of events fitting perfectly into place and everything. It all looked like the authors had prepared a giant epic story, and were revealing it volume after volume. Until I read somewhere that most of the time they only foresaw 30 or so pages in advance, and let the character have their own surprises or ambitions :). This is really a role-playing approach, and I guess GLR's using a similar one. Except here He's settled the story in a very unusual environment, so I guess He's prepared the "background" in advance, and let randomness take over for Cuegan's actions.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

ucim wrote:"water, Helen" phase?

Jose

...back when Cueball was first trying to speak Beanong...
"i learned a word. Water. Probably."

Similar to the Helen Keller first word story...
Last edited by NetWeasel on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

SBN wrote:The experts are probably on this, but can anything be done with the file itself? Can it be peeled back in layers or something? (I don't know, this is yet another area that makes me feel like I've wandered into the advanced class by mistake, but class started awhile ago and now I'm too shy to leave.)

Unfortunately, the darkest blotches are full black (#000000) so they completely obscure whatever is "behind" them. By adjusting the levels it's possible to selectively make some letters clearer at the cost of others (for example, fading away the paler crossing words to clarify the darker words, or making the crossing words darker but also making the lighter splotches darker at the same time) but there's no way to uncover what's completely obscured.

The original file was probably created in separate layers, but the image we have access to has had those layers combined into a single bitmap.

ETA: "Please be patient." Is she telling Cuegan to
Spoiler:
?
Last edited by Rule110 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

ucim]
[quote="NetWeasel wrote:
I really wish this (fuzzy language thing) had been done during the "water, Helen" phase back at first camp...
"water, Helen" phase?

Jose[/quote]

It's a reference to teaching Helen Keller, a blind-deaf-and-mute girl, how to speak. Her teacher held Helen's hand under a stream of water, and signed "water" into her hand. Helen, who had been perhaps two years old when she went blind and deaf, suddenly got the concept and said "wah-wah". And went on to learn sign language and be an advocate in her adulthood for the deaf and blind. This incident was made famous in the movie and play "The Miracle Worker".
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:...Perhaps she's actually speaking Dutch? Has mscha appeared in the OTC?

I do need a haircut... but not that badly. Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

superluminal

Postby superluminal » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

I finally had to delurk to say this:

What if Cuegan are just tourists and they don't know the local language? After all, many tourists like beaches and sandcastles... They might have been on the same beach before, but never wandered this far from their hotel.

(I liked this hypothesis more before Hairdo started talking...)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I think this raises an interesting question for your religion here.

Did the Creator have every step of the OTC planned out from the start, or is he allowing his characters free will and their world some randomness (i.e. making shit up as he goes along)?

An interesting question. Either one is possible; considering how little the frame changes every hour (there is the occasional more major change, but those are uncommon), he could easily be making a new batch every week or so, or whenever he's bored. Of course, for the same reason, he could have made a huge number beforehand and just set it into motion.
Either way, he (or someone under him) is checking in somewhat frequently, as evidenced by the rapid fixes whenever the server(s) hiccuped (or at least, rapid when compared to how fast problems are fixed with most private servers).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

I wonder whether the Beanies assume salt water (or sand) is dangerous (so nobody can live near it) in a similar way that Cuegan seem to think fresh water is dangerous/perhaps impossible to swim in. Perhaps they're even flooding the sea with fresh water in order to make it safe.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

mojacardave wrote:There used to be a clever website with forum post data though, including live graphs: I assume that's still online somewhere.

That would be Kieryn's XKCD Time Dedication. He's traveling, though, so it isn't being updated at this time.

ETA:
Newpostbump:
tavella wrote:I was wondering if the middle word could also just be "these", perhaps, meaning the Beanies. But I'm not sure if there's enough space for an E.

Hypatia speaks a third language, per the drawing back at the original meeting site, so she may have come from elsewhere speaking her diamond language, learned the triangle language of the Beanies, and also knows a circle language very similar to Cuegan's people. Or she could be a very industrious Beanie scholar. Also, that suggests the Beanies have met the Circles, since Cuegan's language sounded familiar, even if they didn't understand it. So they aren't just an extinct people from books.

Welcome, tavella!

ETA2:
Rule110, I think we missed your 300th! Here's some pizza, for a change.
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Can it be peeled back in layers or something? (I don't know, this is yet another area that makes me feel like I've wandered into the advanced class by mistake, but class started awhile ago and now I'm too shy to leave.)

GLR will have control over layers, but I think once it's compressed/compiled/converted/whatever into the final image that information is lost - what you see is what you get

CFS wrote:
Spoiler:
taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:SorrONG...
I am sorry.
Your language is like those
spoken by the ...ffiou...
... but I learned it.

Ooh! Something I just remembered: A few years back, I was learning Spanish. (I've since forgotten almost all of it.) Then, later, I met someone who spoke Portuguese. And I couldn't understand all of what they were saying, but a lot of the words were similar to Spanish ones I knew, so I could get a sense of their meaning. And I get a similar feeling whenever I try to read Dutch (which I don't know, but I do know English and some German). If I had to illustrate what that looked like, it would be somewhat like GLR's drawing.

...Perhaps she's actually speaking Dutch? Has mscha appeared in the OTC?

I only speak English, and I couldn't make anything at all out of Dutch when I was in Amsterdam. The J's where just too odd.

I have limited German, and can get the gist of written German, Dutch and Flemish (which from a quick wiki check may be closer to Dutch than I realise)

Edit: somewhat ninja'd. Is the heat making me really slow or is there a fast post rate at the moment?
Last edited by HES on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

edfel wrote:
My thought too. Yet, I think it's possible He picked a random language somewhere, and just changed the alphabet. I've tried to match Lojban but it doesn't fit ("sea" is not spelled as "big-water"). Any other idea?

of the languages listed
I've checked Afrikaans through Hebrew so far, Hebrew is the only one so far with the same root,"ים" (pronounced "ym"?), however, that is "Sea", water is "מים" (pronounced "mym"?)
Spoiler:
languages.PNG
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Speaking BeanONG again...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

SpeakONG more Beanish...
Spoiler:

Ninja'd. That's what I get for trying to ONG while downloading large quantities of music (never enough!), thus operating with slowed internet connection.

EDIT because I was too preoccupied with the ONG to remember to include the "ing." :oops:
Last edited by HAL9000 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

CFS

Postby CFS » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:SpeakONG more Beanish...
Spoiler:

Ninja'd. That's what I get for trying to ONG while download large quantities of music (never enough!), thus operating with slowed internet connection.

*GASP*

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

Hi mscha, just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of gee-your-baobab-pic-was neat-dunno-why-i-never-saw-it before. I'm glad that you reposted them all!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BigDaddy

Postby BigDaddy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Speaking BeanONG again...
Spoiler:

Ok what is going on with the beaded curtain on the left? That one strand has been at an odd angle since they entered the lair of Bearda.
Last edited by BigDaddy on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

Sorry to interrupt your language discussions, but Kenmelken and I have been debating when the new eon should start. I made a poll to try to get the opinions of more people.
http://poll.pollcode.com/w8gca
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

patzer wrote:Sorry to interrupt your language discussions, but Kenmelken and I have been debating when the new eon should start. I made a poll to try to get the opinions of more people.

I think it should start after the sunset, with the bucket serving as a prelude to Act III. But that's probably just me.
Oh, durr, that's one of the options. Silly me. I think all this music that I'm downloading (and listening to) is distracting me; that's the second error in two posts. :oops:

pelrigg

Re: Beacon Beta, Papal Decree

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

----BlindPost----
Okay, so I was just going to do what I did yesterdip (and other timesies too), which is ketchup while lurking {lurk-up?}; but Nooo I had to run into this:
AluisioASG wrote:Firsts things first:
Time Travelers: Welcome to Beacon Beta.
APlease report to the Future Present if you're more then 5 pages behind.
The Tracker will be available soon.

Image The Pope asks:
  • B Where do you think the Beanies are leading Megball to?
  • C Do you folks make backups?
  • D Where are our phoenixes and platypodes?

Your opinion is of utmost importance for us. We are very happy to know more about you.

Note: Bold letter bullets added by me.
ASo, yes on this stardate as given by my "Posted On" date, with 1125 Registered NewPages (and by the time slow-hand-hunt-n-peck has finished, 1198 NPs :lol: ) (Edit In, Actual: NP 1126) I hereby acknowledge obtaining Beacon Beta. (Last nip, before I coma'd I was on NP 1116, but left before this had been posted. In other words, total fresh new posts: 4.)
BBecause of the way I ketchup, which is: I get the current frame (M2874) from xkcd Central and fill in the missing frames from mscha viewerE, then I check into the OTT. Long story short (*too late*) I already know that Megball has met Dean JeriF and some comminucation has been tried. I guess the next thing will be; the Beanies will invite Megball to stay, there will be a feast to welcome them, and then we'll see them working out the kinks in the translating. (Good Job GLR for the way He was able to represent almost able to understand the Dean. Or whatever it is your calling her.)
CI do have an external harddrive with some of what's on my computer on it. However, I've got stuff on my "external" that's nowhere else. (Like for instance, my Time collection.)
DIn your pocketses???????

E(again, thanks. Also, nice because I can see the frame number, which keeps me on track.)
Fyes, I'm part of the "Jerry Garcia" bandwagon, therefore "Jeri" :P
-------------------------------------
Two other posts I want to mention (of the four previously noted "new" posts:
Chinchokmataa wrote:Has anyone created a table showing how the SinusPi transliteration works? That could be a super useful thing to have. Currently, I'm trying to piece it together from the examples.

I hope someone's helping Chinchokmataa out on this. Xe introduced xerself as a linguist in xer first OTT post. I welcomed xer and gave directions to the Wiki and to the first NP with Beanie Talk (just happened to be my ONG on top of it :roll: :oops: ), approximately two dips ago. The biggest thing is, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed xer. (Perhaps because it wasn't a firstpost that bumped a Page Pope?)
---------
@ buffygirl, good job on your Meagan. I hope you "win" the role.
-----
In general with regards to the "voice casting": Once it looks like there are enough applicants, could we have a "cattle call" post with copies of the all of the fine folks applying at a consistent level and a consistent format to make it easier to compare? And an off-site "poll" to tally the votes, unless it's going to be a "director's" choice.
----------------------------------------
-----end sea-ish Blind-Post Checkpoint Beta-----
(finally)
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

Finished my google translate check:

Nothing fits great. Languages with the same root are:
Hebrew
Korean ("Sea" and "Fresh water" share part if a symbol, with a "Mouth" added to "fresh water", but its a pretty weak connection, spoken it's "bada"and "damsu" respectively)
Thai

I can't read Arabic at all, and there is no transliteration on google, but it doesn't sound similar to me.
I have no hope of guessing for Urdu or Persian as google doesn't even voice these...

Nothing has "sea" as a modification of "water" so if Randall is using an existing language, it's more obscure. Anybody speak a Canadian Aboriginal Language? (best bet due to the script) Klingon? Elvish?

Edited kuz I kant ryte gud.

RudeDude

Postby RudeDude » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

My attempt at transliterating the newpix [SinusPi can (dis)approve]:

(Bighair) U' AbM W2 2b7U
(BeanieX) dG

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

CFS wrote:
taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:SorrONG...
Spoiler:

I am sorry.
Your language is like those
spoken by the ...ffiou...
... but I learned it.

Ooh! Something I just remembered: A few years back, I was learning Spanish. (I've since forgotten almost all of it.) Then, later, I met someone who spoke Portuguese. And I couldn't understand all of what they were saying, but a lot of the words were similar to Spanish ones I knew, so I could get a sense of their meaning. And I get a similar feeling whenever I try to read Dutch (which I don't know, but I do know English and some German). If I had to illustrate what that looked like, it would be somewhat like GLR's drawing.

...Perhaps she's actually speaking Dutch? Has mscha appeared in the OTC?

I only speak English, and I couldn't make anything at all out of Dutch when I was in Amsterdam. The J's where just too odd.

Oh, I can't make any sense out of spoken Dutch. But written Dutch is understandable, more or less.

edo wrote:Finished my google translate check:

Nothing fits great. Languages with the same root are:
Hebrew
Korean ("Sea" and "Fresh water" share part if a symbol, with a "Mouth" added to "fresh water", but its a pretty weak connection, spoken it's "bada"and "damsu" respectively)
Thai

I can't read Arabic at all, and there is no transliteration on google, but it doesn't sound similar to me.
I have no hope of guessing for Urdu or Persian as google doesn't even voice these...

Nothing has "sea" as a modification of "water" so if Randall is using an existing language, it's more obscure. Anybody speak a Canadian Aboriginal Language? (best bet due to the script) Klingon? Elvish?

Edited kuz I kant ryte gud.

Oh, so that's where bada comes from!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:27 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
sciakybros wrote:So truncated repeating numbers is only an approximation. But isn't that what you do in your proof?
Spoiler:
let x = .499999...
Then 10x = 4.99999..., and
100x = 49.999......
Subtract the first from the second and you get 90x = 45, or x = .5

If you can only get that result using truncated 'approximations' of the repeating number isn't the result an approximation?

The proof does not use truncated approximations; the … means that the nines go on forever (not just as long as you can imagine writing or saying them) in all cases. Truncating would be writing 49.99999999999 without the … at the end.

But I'm not going to be sucked into this (and I would be sorry for mentioning the fact that 0.9…=1, knowing that somebody would probably misunderstand it, except that I found the response from Rule110 very interesting) since it's a fact that has been mathematically proven, and there is no higher standard of proof than that. So I will just show you this lovely song about the number 0.9... (a.k.a. wau)

I think that Hairdo is saying (not necessarily well) all the words we're seeing, but we don't see it as 'transpires… lives? uh… perspires?' (with blotches for pronunciation) because that would take up too much space. I think this is a brilliant way of representing things.

Way back (and I mean WAY back) when, I learned that a repeating decimal could be represented by placing a dot over the repeating digit (or first and last of the repeating digits), thus, 1/3 would be 0.3 (with a dot over the three) or 1/7 would be 0.142857 (with dots over the 1 and 7). I don't see this convention used anymore, it having apparently been replaced with a horizontal line being placed over the repeating part(s) of the decimal, or as you do, using an elipsis. This latter usage can be misleading simply because the elipsis in common usage simply means that something is missing from the text shown. Thus, 0.3333333... could mean 1/3, or it could mean 0.33333335241768.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

CFS

Postby CFS » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
patzer wrote:Sorry to interrupt your language discussions, but Kenmelken and I have been debating when the new eon should start. I made a poll to try to get the opinions of more people.

I think it should start after the sunset, with the bucket serving as a prelude to Act III. But that's probably just me.
Oh, durr, that's one of the options. Silly me. I think all this music that I'm downloading (and listening to) is distracting me; that's the second error in two posts. :oops:

*DOUBLE GASP*

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

CreeDictionary.com has
ᑭᒋᑲᒥᐤ (kicikamiw) for "sea" and
ᓃᐲᕀ (nîpîy) for "water"; if there is a shared root, I don't see it.

trolleypup

Postby trolleypup » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:I think there IS an island, or at least more land, which is the squiggle in the very lowest right. I don't see any sign of coastline, or island shape around the spot that has been pinpointed by the survey lines, though. It seems to be something small, that's fixed in the water.

Blindposting from 20 newpix back where I have been for weeks...

To my eyes, it looks like they are triangulating to an island in the middle of a (smallCOASTS) sea. Perhaps it is the surface manifestation of a massive underwater eruption (dome building? flood eruption) that is displacing seawater? Of course, that large an eruption would probably cause frequent tsunamis and environmental contamination (unless they have very very dependable tradewinds), never mind being noticable from the coast day and night by eyes and ears.

"I remember when the sea was cold!"

COASTS Since we can see what might be a shoreline at the lower rightish edge.

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
CasCat wrote:As to how English pronounces periods, we have a slight descending-tone at the end of sentences, with a slight pause. That's the best I can do. (As opposed to a slightly shorter pause with no descending-tone for commas, and a slight rising-tone with pause for question marks.)

Hmmm. Actually THIS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4qii8S3gw
is how you pronounce punctuation. If you ain't heard it before, you gotta.

Oh, yes. <laughing> I'd forgotten dear old Victor Borge. (Although my favorite Borge bit is where he plays a piece of music, stops, looks confused, turns it upside down (or upside up, as the case may be) and proceeds to play it properly.

Also, the seat belt in the piano bench.

<edit because I can't spell Borge>

This might be from a page ago, but I have to say, that was amazing. Glad to be one of the lucky 10,000 today.
*Insert witty comment*

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

Kenmelken brought up his proposal for this on the forum a while ago, and I thought his analysis was both reasonable and artful.

You both are doing such an awesome job on the wiki, but it's such a huge undertaking - there are so many subjects that haven't been started at all (art, poetry, etc) - maybe you could divide the things you work on so there's less conflict and more ground covered?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

edo

Postby edo » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

RudeDude wrote:My attempt at transliterating the newpix [SinusPi can (dis)approve]:

(Bighair) U' AbM W2 2b7U
(BeanieX) dG

To me it looks like
(Bighair) U' AbWN W2 2A7U
(BeanieX) dG

With a diatric on the "W" in W2

SinusPi

Postby SinusPi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

RudeDude wrote:My attempt at transliterating the newpix [SinusPi can (dis)approve]:

(Bighair) U' AbM W2 2b7U
(BeanieX) dG

Sorry ;P Your "M" is two characters, "W" and "N". And, you wrote a "b" instead of an "A". The rest is good, plus diacritics/vowels. ;)

(edit) Not that I'm any transliteration authority, but Edo got it "right" by me.

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:There's another thing I'm wondering about - the look of those windows appears really strange. Any real world architectural style I'm overlooking?

Art Deco. (Blind post; sorry if it's been posted)

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

LeavONG̊

211!
Last edited by mscha on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Wait... we don't get to see what's behind the other curtain???

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

I voted for 2646, the frame in which Cueball notices other people. It is at that point where the entire flavor of the story changes. Frames before that actually refer to the prior history (the bucket refers to the rising seas on the beach, for example) and not to the upcoming adventure. But once they see other people, it's a new game. (Note - we don't have to see them for this to be true... only the Cuegan do)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

Image KETCHUP:
SinusPi wrote:I am quite intrigued by the "NOBODY" - at first I thought my transliterated c/' blue diacritics might be vowels, but then some words do not have vowels whatsoever. It could happen, but it would make Beanish a language damn hard to pronounce...

Well, in my language (Czech) we have syllabic R and syllabic L, so words without vowels do exist and are easy (for us, not for foreigners :D ) to pronounce. So you can have sentencesS like "Strč prst skrz krk." which means "Stick your finger through your throat." or "Smrž pln skvrn zvlhl z mlh." = "Morel full of spots got wet by fogs." or two-syllabic words with no vowels like "zmrzls" - "you have frozen". So to me it's not odd that some words would not have vowels. :) Notice that there also exists one-consonant prepositions (s, z, k, v) that are read as if they were part of the next word (if it's not possible, than "e" is added). So even those one character long words could be single consonants. Although non of this is very likely GLR has used.

charlie_grumbles wrote:Stage 17
<snip>
However, Contador moves up to second place and his teammate Roman Kreuziger up to third. The best place US rider is Andy Talansky in 13th at 15'13". Mollema, who was in second place in the GC this morning, drops back to fourth, with a 6'23" deficit. Not his day.
<snip>

Yay, Roman Kreuziger is a Czech rider, thanks for the information that he's now third, I didn't notice in the news.

Qalyar wrote:The cross-words (as opposed to crosswords) are interesting. We assume that Cueball are speaking English, because their language is presented to us as English. But we really have no reason to assume they actually are and that the comic, for the readers' convenience, isn't calling the smeerps rabbits ... er, molpies.

Hey, a TVTropes link without warning? I'm trying to ketchup here! Fortunately, I was able to close the tab immediately before it could reproduce. :mrgreen:

Montov wrote:The big "I" is because that is an easy word she knows, so she emphasizes it. Like singing along a song where you get less vocal at parts you don't know very well, but loudly sing the parts you do know.
Yeah... mmm, mm mm mmmmmm HALELUJAH! HALELUJAH! mmm mm mm mmmmmmm....

I really like jovialbard's explanations:
Spoiler:
jovialbard wrote:Perhaps she's an incredibly talented throat singer and can vocalize multiple words simultaneously by injecting different consonants in line with the various pitch changes of her discrete overtones. Actually, has anyone ever heard (of) a female throat singer? I feel like every throat singer I've seen is male. I would assume that's simply because it comes from cultures that are traditionally sexist, but I suppose it's also conceivable that it could be more difficult or less common for women to be capable of vocalizing in that way, what with the statistical difference in voices between men and women. Actually, I've tried throat singing in falsetto, and while it's possible to create multiple notes it doesn't sound nearly the same as a bass throat singing. Perhaps a very low alto could manage it...

jovialbard wrote:Maybe she's extremely skilled at projectile vomiting and she's literally spewing the words against the wall. The beanies clean it up between frames.

(that's gross)

Or maybe she just has a giant paintbrush. Or maybe people don't actually speak in this randallverse but literally have speech bubbles appear above their heads (like those guys in the planescape campaign setting)

They both made me ROFLYSSTBB :lol:

S Not that they make much sense, but they are grammatically perfectly correct.
BB rolling on the floor laughing, yet still somehow typing (©Bill Bailey)
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:05 pm UTC

BigDaddy wrote:
mscha wrote:Speaking BeanONG again...
Spoiler:

Ok what is going on with the beaded curtain on the left? That one strand has been at an odd angle since they entered the lair of Bearda.

Have you ever gone through a beaded curtain? Sometimes the beads hang up on each other, and that can lead to odd little kinks like the one you see here.

Oooh, hundredth post. Gotta say something kinky, right?
Spoiler:
Bead curtain.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”