1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

xpatiate

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby xpatiate » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:12 am UTC

Answers! Actual non-cryptic information! And just when I had officially signed up with the Randallversians... (do I still get to keep the t-shirt?)

I think the question of whether This Ends Time is related to the question ttscp was asking a while ago, about whether the OTC is a story or a puzzle. If it's a puzzle, and the point was to figure out where/when it's set and why the sea is rising, then that has now largely been resolved and maybe things will wind down. But if it's a story, this feels very much like somewhere in the middle - the protagonists have set out on their quest, established the problem they need to solve, and encountered helpful others who provide them with more information. Now they actually need to go and fight the battle (pitting a handful of smart but low-tech nerds against a geological phenomenon is a big ask, but could result in a spectacular finale).

Of course, given that this is not a conventional story or a conventional puzzle, or a conventional film or a conventional webcomic, then all bets are off :D

I wish GLR would give Rosetta a white jacket or something ... from this perspective she looks like a millipede on the end of some chopsticks.

jovialbard wrote:*Erherm*

Umm... for your amusement:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aj1om2fbg2enw ... voices.wma

One (and a half?) serious attempt to deliver a line from time and several silly/different voices. Enjoy!

Image Pirate Cueball! It may not be entirely appropriate for the definitive version but maybe we could have an alternative piratical soundtrack?

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:14 am UTC

As a writer, I've encountered the pattern that by the end of Act 2 in a three-Act structure, that we find our heroes in their lowest point. That seems to be where we are now, story wise. They've encountered obstacles like the raptorcat, but this point, we see their land about to be inundated with a rise in see level, and 40 people in jeopardy, plus we don't know what the hilll people will do. I think we'll have a juicy Act Three ahead of us where all this will have to be dealt with. The stakes have definitely risen to set us up.

And with that, I now Molpy Down. (I had a critter picture to put here but now can't find the upload button. Drat.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:16 am UTC

One (and a half?) serious attempt to deliver a line from time and several silly/different voices. Enjoy!

Sorry hard to listen to that and not stop laughing! Go Sea captain Cueball!

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:20 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:Now I lay me down to coma.
Please spare me, Lord, from dreams filmed by Troma.
If Time should end before I wake,
Please continue the thread, so there'll be cake.
Dreams filmed by Troma would be awesome.

KeonSkyfire

Postby KeonSkyfire » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:22 am UTC

If I'm reading a contour map right, the ocean's going to rise 1000 Cue/1 kiloCue/2 kilometers34

34: heretical35
35: It needed to start at 34 because 1 through [some number] are already standard.

That's a lot of ocean. Poor sandcastle. D:

42 guests

Postby 42 guests » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Prediction: The displaced hill people will lay siege to the castle.

They will bring a full-sized trebuchet.
The One Who Left the Shadows

"What does the sound of 42 people watching Time sound like?"
- AluisioASG

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:27 am UTC

42 guests wrote:Prediction: The displaced hill people will lay siege to the castle.

And from the other side of the mountain, up will come Cuegan's people, who will join forces with the beanies to defend their (quickly being encroached by water) castle
Their battle will distract both sides from noticing this fact, and everyone but Cuegan, Rosetta, Beanie 2 and one of the hill people will drown.
Then, 2000 newpix of the ragtag band of orphaned people rebuilding the fortress by the new shoreline
Finally, they'll step back, survey they work, and say "I like our castle!" in 3 different languages.

Thus ends Time.

ETA: Papal decree: Time ends thusly? How, thusly, does Time end? Thus, tell me how thus ends Time.

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:30 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
42 guests wrote:Prediction: The displaced hill people will lay siege to the castle.

And from the other side of the mountain, up will come Cuegan's people, who will join forces with the beanies to defend their (quickly being encroached by water) castle
Their battle will distract both sides from noticing this fact, and everyone but Cuegan, Rosetta, Beanie 2 and one of the hill people will drown.
Then, 2000 newpix of the ragtag band of orphaned people rebuilding the fortress by the new shoreline
Finally, they'll step back, survey they work, and say "I like our castle!" in 3 different languages.

Thus ends Time.

ETA: Papal decree: Time ends thusly? How, thusly, does Time end? Thus, tell me how thus ends Time.

I like it, but with the last few frames showing the water rising once more (obviously even further in the future)
Tock: Look, son, it's bad enough wasting time without killing it.

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:36 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:By the way, add me to the list of people happy with the revelations. Saying they're coming too quickly is ironic given how long it's been to get to this point. This is about as decompressed as story telling can get. This reminds me of the point in many good fantasy/scifi pics where the characters learn much of what they need to know (the Council of Elrond, meeting the oracle in the Matrix, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually really happy with the way things are going in terms of the story. It really feels at last like "waiting for it" has been properly worth it! I'm just sad that it'll possibly change the atmosphere in the thread that I've grown to love.

I'm not as worried about that. Based on what we've seen, I think Randall likes to throw in challenges too much for this not to stay interesting and speculative. Either way, we'll adapt, and I also hope this place will remain a fun place for all. I admit to some sadness thinking about the fact that it will eventually end, though. I prefer to hope Randall has a long story ahead of us.

And what challenges they have been! Astronomy, linguistics, geomorphology.... Who else is already eagerly awaiting the OTC Bluray release, just for all the bonus content!

Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:36 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:By the way, add me to the list of people happy with the revelations. Saying they're coming too quickly is ironic given how long it's been to get to this point. This is about as decompressed as story telling can get. This reminds me of the point in many good fantasy/scifi pics where the characters learn much of what they need to know (the Council of Elrond, meeting the oracle in the Matrix, etc.)

Yes, this is how I see this point too. Not an ending. It's the exposition point. It's meeting Obi-Wan Kenobi and seeing Princess Leia's recorded message. It's the Council of Elrond, etc.

Fictioneer wrote:As a writer, I've encountered the pattern that by the end of Act 2 in a three-Act structure, that we find our heroes in their lowest point. That seems to be where we are now, story wise. They've encountered obstacles like the raptorcat, but this point, we see their land about to be inundated with a rise in see level, and 40 people in jeopardy, plus we don't know what the hilll people will do. I think we'll have a juicy Act Three ahead of us where all this will have to be dealt with. The stakes have definitely risen to set us up.

It could just as easily be end of Act 2 in a five-Act structure. These sort of infodumps are often about a quarter to a third of the way into the story (the Obi-Wan example, the Council of Elrond example and thousands of others come to mind).

b2bomberkrh wrote:Lastly, has anyone mentioned Julian May's books that were set in the past in the Mediterranean basin? Good set of books, and makes me think of this.

I read those like 20 years ago; had completely forgotten, but you're right, the Sage of Pliocene Exiles was not only set there but the re-flooding of the Med was a major plot point.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Davidy

Revelations

Postby Davidy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:40 am UTC

The Medeterranian Sea was formed some 4 million years ago when the Gibralter plug was breached. It is estimated that the Atlantic Ocean waters rushed in at 300 kilometers per hour. Since the breach was relatively shallow, the volume rushing in was not huge and it is estimated that (depending on the source you believe) it took somewhere between 2 and 1000 years to fill to its present volume.

Apparently, at some point between the present and several thousand years from now, Gibralter collapsed, blocking the sea's entrance and following which the sea mostly evaporated.

Now, we're seeing that the plug has again been breached and the sea is returning.

I have found an example of the true appearance of the Beanies, and an audible of what their language really sounds like:
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Arky

Re: Revelations

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:46 am UTC

Davidy wrote:I have found an example of the true appearance of the Beanies, and an audible of what their language really sounds like:

I was kind of expecting that to be a clip of a Charlie Brown special, with adults "talking".

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:53 am UTC

By the way, if there isn't already a term for doing a ketchup starting with the most recent post and working backwards, I guess it could be a puhctek. That looks really strange, though, so maybe it should be a mayo, since we have ketchup and mustard already. Or am I the only who ketchups in this way anyway? I thought about mayoing all the way back to the beginning, but it was a daunting task, and without the joy of future posting, checkpoints, and the joy of new discoveries in the OTC, I just couldn't manage it.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:55 am UTC

Arky wrote:I read those like 20 years ago; had completely forgotten, but you're right, the Sage of Pliocene Exiles was not only set there but the re-flooding of the Med was a major plot point.

Actually, I think it was just the original flooding, but yes, it was a major plot development and the culmination of several storylines. I don't recall there being much in the way of baobabs, though.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:01 am UTC

Last edited by yappobiscuits on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:25 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:10 am UTC

THREATENONGLY...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

gga2

Postby gga2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Did anyone notice the eyes? In the center of the windows there are two oval spots that are just a shade off. They started small and grew on frame 2906. :shock:

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:16 am UTC

gga2 wrote:Did anyone notice the eyes? In the center of the windows there are two oval spots that are just a shade off. They started small and grew on frame 2906. :shock:

I don't see it... someone get enhancing!
ChronosDragon wrote:

Thus ends Time.

That... would actually make a wonderful ending to Time! I hope LaPetite survives too though...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:19 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:
slinches wrote:Nice mappONG
Spoiler:

Western Mediterranean. They are currently in the Pyrenees or southern France.

Wow. I feel special. I've been following this since page 1. I'm at the other end of France, but could be there in about six hours with two TGV (high-speed train) journeys and a good connection in Paris. Is anyone nearer? (11,000 years seems kind of long to wait for a meet-up though).
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:26 am UTC

Randammit, why are all of the Hairdo ex Machina answers coming when I am stuck Outside? :cry: Had a great bachelorette party yesterdip and have relocated to a house with no internets. Just did a 27-page blitz on my phone - I have some specific responses but will have to wait until I have wifi again to post them. I miss you xuys - Wait well!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

42 guests

Postby 42 guests » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:27 am UTC

gga2 wrote:Did anyone notice the eyes? In the center of the windows there are two oval spots that are just a shade off. They started small and grew on frame 2906. :shock:

Yes, #fbfbfb surrounded by #fafafa. Interesting.

Edit: Clearly it is a lurking guest. That or the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man...
Last edited by 42 guests on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The One Who Left the Shadows

"What does the sound of 42 people watching Time sound like?"
- AluisioASG

Chinchokmataa

Postby Chinchokmataa » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:29 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

Thus ends Time.

"Thus ends Time" declares LaPetite to the enthralled and now dissipointed children that surround her.

"Its over! Already!" complains one child.
"That was the bestest story evers! It can't stop there!" whines another.
"Tell it again!" shouts another child, and all the children nod vigourously in agreement.
"Okay" sighs LaPetite in with only feigned exasperation.
"Once upon a time, there were two people on a sand beach..."

Eternal Density

(the sea is big)

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:54 am UTC

Zuys! So I just did this:
redundant:
Spoiler:
small.PNG
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:59 am UTC

Chinchokmataa wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:

Thus ends Time.

"Thus ends Time" declares LaPetite to the enthralled and now dissipointed children that surround her.

"Its over! Already!" complains one child.
"That was the bestest story evers! It can't stop there!" whines another.
"Tell it again!" shouts another child, and all the children nod vigourously in agreement.
"Okay" sighs LaPetite in with only feigned exasperation.
"Once upon a time, there were two people on a sand beach..."

"Maybe you can come back and read to me again tomorrow, grandpa"
"As you wish"

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:01 am UTC

42 guests wrote:

Yes, #fbfbfb surrounded by #fafafa. Interesting.

Edit: Clearly it is a lurking guest. That or the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man... thus ends time.

FTFY.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:03 am UTC

Is this how you do this? I've made a humONGous error if not.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:09 am UTC

I just thought of something interesting. In order for them to know what the final shoreline was expected to be, they have to know something about the size of the Atlantic. They would have to at least know it was big enough to not have a significant drop in level while filling up the Mediterranean. Rosetta knows a LOT about the world.

ETA: And I wonder who she means when she says "our" belief, since she dismissed the other Beanies saying that they don't know anything.

irino

Postby irino » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:12 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:Is this how you do this? I've made a humONGous error if not.
Spoiler:

You've done well, b2bomberkrh.

ETA: Papal decree: Cue, Meg, and Rose zip line down to the rapidly advancing shore to warn the hill people of their impending doom. Rose uses her Squarese and accidentally insults them, resulting in a heated chase scene with light cycles. Black Hat teleports them back to the present, showing them what the waterline is now. The ending scene is of Meg pointing out Antares to Cue, thinking that the new star is weird.
Thus ends time.
Last edited by irino on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:14 am UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:And I wonder who she means when she says "our" belief, since she dismissed the other Beanies saying that they don't know anything.

She said they "understand nothing", immediately after talking about learning Cuegan's language. (I notice I'm beginning to adopt your language here, eek the OTT is infectious). I think she dismissed them because they'd just be standing there scratching their heads while Cuegan and Hairdo spoke in a non-Beanish language.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:22 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:And I wonder who she means when she says "our" belief, since she dismissed the other Beanies saying that they don't know anything.

She said they "understand nothing", immediately after talking about learning Cuegan's language. (I notice I'm beginning to adopt your language here, eek the OTT is infectious). I think she dismissed them because they'd just be standing there scratching their heads while Cuegan and Hairdo spoke in a non-Beanish language.

Ah, that makes sense. Ok, then, the Beanies know a LOT about the world.

shurikt

Postby shurikt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:27 am UTC

I just went back in time to tell myself that I would read most of the words in a 1200 page forum thread about a webcomic.

I thought it was hilarious then, too.

Arky

Postby Arky » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:28 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

Yeah. It's clear in hindsight that the Beanies were doing topological survey work to firm up the shoreline projections that Rosetta has been showing Our Heroes (given what a close-run thing it is going to be for the Chateau D'If, one can hardly blame them for wanting to be centimetre perfect on this!). They certainly understand what is going on- no wonder they quickly understood Cueball's rising sea drawing and figured that Cueball and Megan had to be taken to see the boss- it's just the language they don't understand.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:31 am UTC

Arky wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

Yeah. It's clear in hindsight that the Beanies were doing topological survey work to firm up the shoreline projections that Rosetta has been showing Our Heroes (given what a close-run thing it is going to be for the Chateau D'If, one can hardly blame them for wanting to be centimetre perfect on this!). They certainly understand what is going on- no wonder they quickly understood Cueball's rising sea drawing and figured that Cueball and Megan had to be taken to see the boss- it's just the language they don't understand.

If that's the case, then there's probably several such beanie survey teams around the rapidly growing sea, who may be reporting back shortly.

ETA: Gotta coma. Tomorrow will be giving me much Outside stress, so I'll be quite glad to recline in front of the OTT when I get home. Raptor down!
Spoiler:
Spoiler'd cause I guess some people don't like this? *shrugs*

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:38 am UTC

Aren't they basing the shoreline projections on the current shoreline, rather than recalculating it? It's a pretty close match, even with my GIMPy manip skills...

edited to say: current to *us* that is, i.e. based on old maps

Spoiler:
newshoreline.png

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:54 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:Aren't they basing the shoreline projections on the current shoreline, rather than recalculating it? It's a pretty close match, even with my GIMPy manip skills...

Spoiler:
newshoreline.png

Well they would probably want to be sure. It's possible the water could be at a different level that it was previously, so I guess they know the size of the Atlantic and are working from there.

a_s_h_e_n

Postby a_s_h_e_n » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:57 am UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:
xpatiate wrote:Aren't they basing the shoreline projections on the current shoreline, rather than recalculating it? It's a pretty close match, even with my GIMPy manip skills...

Spoiler:
newshoreline.png

Well they would probably want to be sure. It's possible the water could be at a different level that it was previously, so I guess they know the size of the Atlantic and are working from there.

edit: and after being Outside for a few hours and ketchuping for a bit, I take back any misgivings I had about Time or its end

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1060

Postby azule » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:58 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Careful about your assumptions concerning language. The rising-end interrogatory, for example, in English is anything but universal. If you try something like that in Chinese, you can come up with an entirely different word/meaning. The rising/falling tone of the voice is critical in those languages. I'm sure there are tons of other examples in various languages. The word chi, for example has many meanings depending on its precise pronunciation.

Critical except in music. I don't have a link, but because music does not care about your language rules (not even in English), where you add emphasis and whatnot, even Chinese gets the rising/falling rule lifted when sung. I conclude that in a thousand years Chinese will no longer find it critical to have those modulations. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:59 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:ETA: Papal decree: Time ends thusly? How, thusly, does Time end? Thus, tell me how thus ends Time.

Speed unchecked, the OTT careens out of control, crushing the internet. Thus ends Time.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00 am UTC

OMR, such revelations during my coma!

Papal decree: Time will only end when too many people in the OTT have lost interest, in other words: not for a while.

Flotter

Postby Flotter » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00 am UTC

More speakING:

The castle was once on island
We found it and have tried to re... it
Last edited by Flotter on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”