1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

b2bomberkrh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:One thing that occurs to me:

Their sea will rise at whatever rate until it hits the height where it begins spilling over into the next basin, which will then fill until it begins spilling over into the next basin, and so forth; until it needs to rise further to spill over into the next basin, at which point the level of Cuegan's sea will pause again while that basin fills, and so on.

In other words, there will be a stutter in the rise in sea level. It may rush up a bit... and then stop for a while, and then rush up more... and then stop for a while, etc.

Can anyone with a better eye on Mediterranean and more time figure out where those pause-points would be? It looks at first glance like there might be one as the water crests the trough just south of Algeria, but I can't tell if that just continues uphill into Tyrrhenian basin or not; if not, then it would have to rise to the level of Edagi Valley just west of Sicily, where it would pause until it filled all of the eastern Mediterranian, but at that point it seems like it would have already filled most of the western Mediterranian, leaving only the continental shelf above some steep mountainous coasts exposed.

It only would work like that if the outflow point to each basin could handle a water flow at least as high as the inflow point to the earlier basin. That isn't typically how floods work. A flood tends to overwhelm a basin area, filling it to the top, as it start spilling out into any adjacent basins at once and so on. Flood flow behavior at high rates of flow isn't orderly like that at all.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I think they are adult, but innocent. Children would not be able to go on a hundred mile hike by themselves on a whim.

OK, I'll upgrade them to young teens...
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

neopifex

Re: Alt-text

Postby neopifex » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:M1-M2919: Wait for it.
M2920: ...
M2921-M2923: RUN.

I think it's going to be "RUN." until they stop running. Posting this for every newpix is probably unnecessary.

Also, whoever runs the wiki should probably add a new page for alt-text listing the above changes and newpix ranges. Currently the only mention of alt-text is on the Wait For It page.

Also also, I'd like to express my gratitude to whoever runs the wiki. It's a great resource. I've been pointing Redditors from /r/xkcd towards it lately.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

Their sea will rise at whatever rate until it hits the height where it begins spilling over into the next basin, which will then fill until it begins spilling over into the next basin, and so forth; until it needs to rise further to spill over into the next basin, at which point the level of Cuegan's sea will pause again while that basin fills, and so on.

In other words, there will be a stutter in the rise in sea level. It may rush up a bit... and then stop for a while, and then rush up more... and then stop for a while, etc.

Can anyone with a better eye on Mediterranean and more time figure out where those pause-points would be? It looks at first glance like there might be one as the water crests the trough just south of Algeria, but I can't tell if that just continues uphill into Tyrrhenian basin or not; if not, then it would have to rise to the level of Edagi Valley just west of Sicily, where it would pause until it filled all of the eastern Mediterranian, but at that point it seems like it would have already filled most of the western Mediterranian, leaving only the continental shelf above some steep mountainous coasts exposed.

Ok, I found a nice clear bathymetric map of the Mediterranean from NOAA, which makes it pretty clear. I'm going to refer to the different shades of cyan blue there in order of increasing depth as (1), (2), (3), etc.

So most of the lands Cuegan know are in an isolated region of level (3) which makes up most of the Sardino-Balearic plain. There would be a brief pause after flooding those levels as the sea spilled over into the Tyrrhenian basin, and then continued rise until most of level (2) was filled and it began spilling over into the east past Sicily, as I figured. By that point most of the damage is done, with only level (1) continental shelf and the upper edges of level (2) still exposed, but there would be a very long pause there as the entire rest of the Mediterranean, including its deepest depths, filled up to that level. Only then would the water on Cuegan's shored continue to rise and flood the rest of (2) and (1) to our present coastlines.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1066

Postby azule » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

kenmelken (response to azule) wrote:I heartily disagree with this theory (this shouldn't surprise anyone--I've made my stance quite clear on numerous occasions). I especially cite Megan's comment during the night that the other nights were different, as they didn't worry about where they slept, but now they feared the returning raptorcat. Like k.bookbinder, I hike and mountain climb a lot. I've done multi-day hikes, and yes they are tiring, and yes one must rest (besides the 4 earlier sleep occasions, there are numerous other resting moments without sleep), but I've never had to take 4 lengthy naps during a one-day hike. Even if they are inexperienced with hiking, I've brought lots of newbies with my before, and they've never had to either. I simply believe, just like many others have cited, that Randall merely wanted to take the time to show us a full night for once and try something new. Then, after having done that, this last time he only gave us one black frame instead. He switches things up and that's cool, but I think it is far more logical to assume that the hike took multiple days. Furthermore, at the Meolpy attack site, they mentioned being only a day from the top of the mountain, but far enough from home that the one day journey didn't make that much of a relative difference.

You didn't need to rest as you went for your hike well prepared. I assume plenty of water and energy bars or whathaveyou to keep up your energy. Your muscles might want to rest every now and then but the rest of your body is doing fine and doesn't need to stop as long as you keep feeding it. Megan and Cueball left on a (for all intents and purposes) whim with minimal supplies. Two dilgunerangs and no food. Ouch. They napped, they ate food they found along the way (but not much food, really), I'd even say they walked slowly as they must not have had as much energy for their muscles to consume.

For the day: it did take them a day to get there. They headed out, slept the night by a tree, continued on, met the Beanies and soon after meeting them slept again. It's all laid out there (by Randall) and honest (just the issue of timing left, but it does not negate what we see).

On the last (first) point on the fear of attack during the night: because we didn't get to see how they handled the other peaceful nights it's tempting to assume those naps were their night (as they seemed peaceful too) but I think the reality is simple. The previous nights were uneventful (not as an excuse to not show it, though) and their description of those nights is sufficient to clue us in on how those unremarkable nights went for them. Just a story-telling device (tell not show).

/this message has been brought you by Rants R Us.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Eutychus wrote:I'm also wondering how old Megan and Cueball are. As this unfolds I'm unconsciously ascribing a younger and younger age to them.
I think they are adult, but innocent. Children would not be able to go on a hundred mile hike by themselves on a whim.

Jose

The heights aren't right for children either, unless everyone in this world is a child, or all the other adults are just short. For people who have never traveled far, they've handled a lot of adversity, so I wouldn't even put them at full grown juvenile age. Mid twenties might be my guess.

sford

Postby sford » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

And with this, I must say molpy down
Spoiler:
Man, it is hard to find a chibi octopus with its eyes closed! I guess huge eyes are part of what makes chibi cute.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

maletero wrote:
Spoiler:
Regarding the change in alt-text. A thought struck me that maybe Randall has lost control of the OTC, and how he is, like us, watching the story unfold. He does still have access to the alt-text. His changing it to "RUN." is just his way of trying to communicate with Cuegan about what they should do. Maybe if he intervenes further, some of the forty can be saved. . .

Okay, probably not. but I think I'm going to entertain the scenario for a while.

Wow, nice timestamp there, at least in my timezoneH... :D

H Heretic time units

Redundant
Spoiler:
0.00.00 UTC.png
0.00.00 UTC.png (4.78 KiB) Viewed 14248 times
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

Ok, I found a nice clear bathymetric map of the Mediterranean from NOAA, which makes it pretty clear. I'm going to refer to the different shades of cyan blue there in order of increasing depth as (1), (2), (3), etc.

So most of the lands Cuegan know are in an isolated region of level (3) which makes up most of the Sardino-Balearic plain. There would be a brief pause after flooding those levels as the sea spilled over into the Tyrrhenian basin, and then continued rise until most of level (2) was filled and it began spilling over into the east past Sicily, as I figured. By that point most of the damage is done, with only level (1) continental shelf and the upper edges of level (2) still exposed, but there would be a very long pause there as the entire rest of the Mediterranean, including its deepest depths, filled up to that level. Only then would the water on Cuegan's shored continue to rise and flood the rest of (2) and (1) to our present coastlines.

Again, this assumes that the outflow points can match what we already surmise is a huge inflow rate at Gibraltar. It's quite possible that the level not only won't pause in its rising for any significant time, but that the peak level will end up higher than the final level ends up being while the outflow into the rest of the Mediterranean ketches up.

ETA: For instance, Sicily could get completely covered with water long before any water reaches Israel, if the inflow rate at Gibraltar is high enough, even though the final water level won't cover Sicily.

ETA: That last example was only to illustrate, and is not realistic. Because the Atlantic isn't dropping very far, it's unlikely that the level will end up all that much higher than the final level at any bottleneck points, but still, the point is, that the rise won't slow down unless the outflow from a bottleneck area can keep up with the inflow.
Last edited by b2bomberkrh on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:21 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

maletero

Postby maletero » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

[quote="NoMouse"]
Wow, nice timestamp there, at least in my timezoneH... :D

H Heretic time units

Totally planned. . .

Qalyar

Postby Qalyar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Ok, I found a nice clear bathymetric map of the Mediterranean from NOAA, which makes it pretty clear. I'm going to refer to the different shades of cyan blue there in order of increasing depth as (1), (2), (3), etc.

Fluid dynamics isn't that tidy, though, especially if the rate of flow across the barrier into the Tyrrhenian basin does not exceed the rate of flow from the Atlantic into the Balearic Abyssal Plain through Gibraltar (which it won't). The water level in the Balearic will continue to rise even above the breaching level of the Tyrrhenian because the input "backs up", basically. Floods are weird. Life on the Balearic plain is going to get very bad (and very wet) long before the water level between the Balearic and Tyrrhenian basins equalizes.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
pelrigg wrote:b But you really should keep Waiting For It.

Negative. New orders.

Maybe those TimeWaiters that are currently schizo-blitzing (or fry-saucing) must now run while waiting for it?
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

Qalyar wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Ok, I found a nice clear bathymetric map of the Mediterranean from NOAA, which makes it pretty clear. I'm going to refer to the different shades of cyan blue there in order of increasing depth as (1), (2), (3), etc.

Fluid dynamics isn't that tidy, though, especially if the rate of flow across the barrier into the Tyrrhenian basin does not exceed the rate of flow from the Atlantic into the Balearic Abyssal Plain through Gibraltar (which it won't). The water level in the Balearic will continue to rise even above the breaching level of the Tyrrhenian because the input "backs up", basically. Floods are weird. Life on the Balearic plain is going to get very bad (and very wet) long before the water level between the Balearic and Tyrrhenian basins equalizes.

Yes, exactly. Now, IF the breaching point gets broader quickly enough as a function of altitude, then the breach can rapidly become quite wide, like water spilling over the entire side of a bathtub at once, at which point the outflow can get up close to the inflow, but it isn't clear how exactly that will happen.

ETA: Did I just become pope? I've been dying for an opportunity to post a picture of my Chihuahuas, so carry on with the discussions, they are much more interesting anyway, but IF you should feel inclined, any pictures of your own pets, or Chihuahuas would be nice.

maletero

Postby maletero » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

This talk of Big Floods makes me think of the catastrophic draining of lake Misoula. The lake (apparently the size of lake Michigan) drained in a matter of days to weeks, and left a landscape now called the channeled scablands. Having an entire ocean behind this flood, I think The Forty are in trouble (unless the GLR intervenes, if he still can).

nerdsniped

Run?

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

I need a reality check here (if the term applies to the OTC)... is RUN actually a good plan, or are Cuegan just panicing? Are we going to see "pant, pant, wheeze" in a few frames? First off, running does not seem like a sustainable pace, especially at altitude and with a healing leg. Second, you'd think it would have been worth at least a few minutes to fine-tune their supplies and consult with Rosetta and/or each other as to route choice.

Although, hmm, I guess it is possible to run 100 miles in 24 hours. How far have Cuegan come, again?
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
capnbuckle wrote:http://maroonbeard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/The-Mediterranean-Seafloor-1982.jpg

Looking at the Beanie projection, it looks like the Pretty Neat River is flowing down the deep channel just west of the Maures Escarpment, due west of Corsica, atop the Corso-Ligurian Basin. Cuegan walked quite a ways east along the boundary of that basin before reaching the mouth of the Pretty Neat River. This means that the "Hill People" upriver from them likely live in the Félibres Hills or the La Renaixenca Hills, in the southern vicinity of the Rhône Fan.

Those hills are the problem.

They are significantly elevated from the surrounding terrain, and would be the closest, most obvious "higher ground" upon which the Forty might take refuge. Once those hills are cut off, their fate is sealed without an accomplished seafaring culture...and I don't think there was any talk of sailing vessels or boats of any kind.

Okay, let's look at this again. Megball's people live in tents, but they still have access to quality lumber (both poles and planks) and assorted hardware. Our two seemed quite confident they could build an effective raft for river-crossing, given materials, even though all they brought with them they could easily carry in two bags. They may be nomadic, but they are not primitive.

And if building materials are scarce and valuable, Megball would hardly have abandoned their castle without first dismantling it and salvaging the lumber; they show no sign of being so irresponsible. So we can presume the aforementioned "IKEA" in effect, if not in fact. The Forty have access to building materials; they just choose not to use them for building houses.

(Perhaps they are in fact a lumber camp? The fact that Megan finds trees "neat" doesn't mean she's never seen one at all. Or they could be nomadic scavengers, salvaging the numerous shipwrecks on the Med floor; the planks could even be some sort of artificial material salvaged from the dark past.)

So who's to say that the Forty can't in fact build rafts and sail them to safety? If they're nomads, they're used to carrying food supplies with them. We already know they have "steam bottles" (ugh) so hopefully fresh water won't be an issue.

In other words, given enough warning, the outlook for the Forty need not be so bleak as Rosetta makes out. Remember, she knows nothing of them or their capabilities; she didn't even know they existed before Megball arrived.

They get the planks and poles from their river, which, because it doesn't reach the sea, dumps anything it carries for their use. They probably don't have hardware. I think they most likely tied their scaffolding together with ropes, which can be pretty sturdy if you know what you're doing, which they do, because they probably make everything out of ropes, driftwood, and some kind of canvas. Because they know how to make complex things out of simple parts they could make a raft.

I beg to differ. In frames M470-480, it looks to me like Megan is lifting the horizontal board into a prepared position, then fastening it down with bolts or pegs; there's no sign of lashing. And the railing they erect from M548 to M569 goes up too evenly and easily; it has the look of a prepared kit, not salvaged flotsam. (They could have salvaged it from a wreck, as I suggested above.)

TimeLurker wrote:Is Megan carrying her bag while the Cue Man put his on his back?

I think the Beanies used backpacks instead of bags, and in the scramble Cueball wound up with the new backpack and Megan got her old bag back.

sford wrote:You know how when you are reading a novel, and you're a slow reader (like me), so the novel lasts for days and days where you only spend maybe an hour a day with it so you can get the rest of your life done too, and then you hit a point where you just ... can't ... put it down?

That's where we are now. Problem is, in spite of the new alt-text, it looks like he is still going to only give us a frame per hour.

DAMMIT! I want to put my life on hold and devour the rest of the story in one gulp! AND I CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Stephen King called that the I-GOTTA ─ as in, "I gotta know what happens next!"
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

I just realized that, because of the latest developments, my favorite Time theory is becoming very difficult to hold on to :( . I'm not sure how racing to save a tribe of people from a flood 11,000 odd years in the future could possibly translate into Randall's spousal unit being pregnant.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:I just realized that, because of the latest developments, my favorite Time theory is becoming very difficult to hold on to :( . I'm not sure how racing to save a tribe of people from a flood 11,000 odd years in the future could possibly translate into Randall's spousal unit being pregnant.

Obviously, it shows that there are still humans 11,000 years from now, meaning that we've continued to reproduce. :D
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

TimeLurker wrote:I just realized that, because of the latest developments, my favorite Time theory is becoming very difficult to hold on to :( . I'm not sure how racing to save a tribe of people from a flood 11,000 odd years in the future could possibly translate into Randall's spousal unit being pregnant.

Her water just broke??
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

It looks like the sea they know is the lowest line demarked on the NOAA map in the Sardino-Balearic (looks rather shallow too.) They should have had a pretty early warning, and if they stay away from the nearby hills, the water level rise shouldn't strand them.

I call that M&C find their people along the way, and direct them to a safe location (perhaps the nearby islands, though they need more detail than what was shown on the map that Rosetta had)

I missed my 300th post overall, but this is my 299th on this thread.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

I like to visit Lake Waikaremoana, which came into being when a landslide blocked a river - strange, and haunting, to see the tops of trees of the old forest beneath the surface. It will be even more haunting the next time I see it, thinking of that poor mama bird who was doing a good job. Did her little one learn to fly in time?

Or maybe they'll float off on some branches. There will be a lot of floating debris, no? Perhaps the whole tribe is waiting it out, singing songs and eating bacon, while floating along on a few wooden pubs lashed together.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Whew, keught up, for the first time todayOutside – well, yesterdayOutside, as it is past midnight.
(That was not fun, actually. If this keeps up, I'm going to have to quit the OTT. (Not kidding.) It doesn't help that many people have apparently stopped reading and are just posting – so we get 10 messages saying the exact same thing, like “OMR, the alt text changed”.)

What can I say but: OMR! Everything else has been said already.
That's quite a lot of answers and change of pace for an icositetranewpix worth of frames...

About the alt-text, I don't know what y'all are talking about. It is, was, and always has been just “Time”.
The title text, though, has been changing. Thank y'all for keeping track.
For now, I've changed newpixbot's grabber script to simply log the title text; if changes are going to occur regularly, I may do something more.
There's actually no 1-1 relation between newpix and title text – at least the change to “Run.” happened in between two newpix, and it looks like the change to “...” did as well.

The javascript was indeed changed todix:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

curl --head http://www.xkcd.com/s/df5557.js
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: application/javascript; charset=utf-8
Accept-Ranges: bytes
ETag: "3190485420"
Last-Modified: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 13:01:33 GMT
Content-Length: 5197
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 22:34:04 GMT
Server: lighttpd/1.4.28
I'm not gonna try to analyze it.

If people want to read The Count of Monte Cristo, you can do so (for free, legally) here. (I don't know where you'll find the Time to do that, though...)

⁴ ottifications, SPACKlick, Rule110, yappo!

Sorry, no centennial cakes from me – I can't deal with that anymore.

Poor BlitzGirl, being away at a time like this... (But as others have noted, it's probably her fault anyway, things happen in Time when she's Outside.)

Now let's see how badly I am behind after pressing [Submit]...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Ashaman

Re: Run?

Postby Ashaman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:I need a reality check here (if the term applies to the OTC)... is RUN actually a good plan, or are Cuegan just panicing? Are we going to see "pant, pant, wheeze" in a few frames? First off, running does not seem like a sustainable pace, especially at altitude and with a healing leg. Second, you'd think it would have been worth at least a few minutes to fine-tune their supplies and consult with Rosetta and/or each other as to route choice.

Although, hmm, I guess it is possible to run 100 miles in 24 hours. How far have Cuegan come, again?

Well, it's all downhill to get home, so they actually might be able to go quite a ways in a couple days. But if they get there and are totally exhausted from running, they won't be able to go very fast for the uphill climb.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

Man BlitzGirl is going to be so annoyed at us when she gets back! She leaves for a bit and we let the OTC totally run away on us!

BrianX

Postby BrianX » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:42 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I like to visit Lake Waikaremoana, which came into being when a landslide blocked a river - strange, and haunting, to see the tops of trees of the old forest beneath the surface. It will be even more haunting the next time I see it, thinking of that poor mama bird who was doing a good job. Did her little one learn to fly in time?

Or maybe they'll float off on some branches. There will be a lot of floating debris, no? Perhaps the whole tribe is waiting it out, singing songs and eating bacon, while floating along on a few wooden pubs lashed together.

There is one of those on the road between Boston and Cape Cod. I'm not sure how it was created, but I think the construction of the highway may have been part of it.

jowo

Postby jowo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

edo wrote:
POPE! Papal decrees:
2) I shall conviene a consistory. those present are cardinals. Should we change the criteria for page pope? perhaps whoever has the most posts on the previous page, with the tiebreaker being whichever has the most overall posts to the thread? Thoughts? I'm open to suggestions. It's a new era.

RUN!

No! Absolutely not! Silly person.

edit to clean up the quote
Last edited by jowo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's about Time....

Selcouth

Postby Selcouth » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

I have now determined that nobody remembers me. 'Kay.

All the slang has changed in this thread!

Can someone fill me in, has their location been pinpointed yet?
"But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations of humans... I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive."

-Randall Munroe

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

Selcouth wrote:I have now determined that nobody remembers me. 'Kay.

Of course we do! Image Welcome back!

Selcouth wrote:Can someone fill me in, has their location been pinpointed yet?

Yes. You may want to read the past 20 NP or so.
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

tavella

Postby tavella » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:47 pm UTC

Different mechanism, though, those were glacial dams. Gibraltar is very narrow compared to the drainage basin, and it can't get much wider due to mountain ranges on either side. The sediment will quickly be scoured out, obviously, but after that it's bedrock. It won't get much bigger than it is, and unless there has been some mega-engineering in the intervening 10K years, it's still going to take months to fill the Med. Though obviously, the Megball tribe doesn't have as long, even their local hills will likely go under fairly fast. But they should have time to make rafts on said hills if they have warning and know where they can go. The current will naturally push them north towards the (former) French shore, and the influx should be steady rather than turbulent so far away from the intake.

acunning40

Postby acunning40 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

They're currently believed to be at the Chateau d'If. Their starting location was in what's currently the Mediterranean basin, west of Sardinia and south of France. See the map here.

The bottom section of the dialog in the comic wiki page may also be useful for catching up on what's just been revealed in the recent frames.
Last edited by acunning40 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

I remember you! I'm sure most of us do, it's just all very hectic here at the moment! ;)

As for the slang... I'm not sure where you left us so I don't know what would be "new" to you :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

Hey! I was gone for a mere 70 minutesH and you all added four newpages??!!

I remember you from my Blitz!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

maletero wrote:
lgw wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
BTW, what DID Noah eat during the forty days and forty nights? He had plenty of possibilities, but likely they were ruled out by his instructions.

I am so not the expert there, but he was never told to bring exactly two of every animal was he - it was more of a minimum? :twisted: Noah at least had a reliable water supply - The Megball Forty not so much.

As I recall, he was actually instructed to bring more (seven?) of the "clean" animals. So maybe they munched on some of those.

Seven pairs of clean animals and birds. And I lost the post in the recent post-flood. but according to Genesis people started eating animals just after the fall.
neopifex wrote:
Ximenez wrote:M1-M2919: Wait for it.
M2920: ...
M2921-M2923: RUN.

I think it's going to be "RUN." until they stop running. Posting this for every newpix is probably unnecessary.

Also, whoever runs the wiki should probably add a new page for alt-text listing the above changes and newpix ranges. Currently the only mention of alt-text is on the Wait For It page.

Also also, I'd like to express my gratitude to whoever runs the wiki. It's a great resource. I've been pointing Redditors from /r/xkcd towards it lately.

Not sure anyone runs the wiki. Lots of people work on the wiki, some more than others, many more than me, but there is plenty of room for more help.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

It looks like if they run straight south they'll cut a quarter to a third off their distance...
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

It seems to me that since they are running they will now be covering one screen every newpix where they used to take 3-5 or more if they stopped to do something. So we should count the number of scene transitions backwards to work out how many newpix it will take them to get back home. Note that they won't get all the way because they will hit the water at some point.

The only thin hope they have of seeing the other Cugen's again is if they were smart enough to see the danger and pack up and follow where Cugen went. That way they would not be that far back and part way back down they will meet up. If they were smart and went ANY other way then they will be 100's or even a 1000 km away when they get back to land. They could end up in Spain for example while Cugen is stuck in France. How would they find each other again? Lets hope GLR has worked out something for us!

BrianX

Postby BrianX » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

acunning40 wrote:

They're currently believed to be at the Chateau d'If. Their starting location was in what's currently the Mediterranean basin, west of Sardinia and south of France. See the map here.

The bottom section of the dialog in the comic wiki page may also be useful for catching up on what's just been revealed in the recent frames.

Which makes the surrounding settlement an outlying borough of Marseilles that would normally be underwater (possibly the present city is abandoned?), and the river they've been following an extension of the Rhone.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Some scant notices

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Currently on NP1133.
I'll have a surprise for y'all tomorrow.
Seems that lots of things happened while I was away.
Lots of cakes when I arrive in the Future Present.
I still can't edit my posts. Avatar is ready.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

keithl

Postby keithl » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

More on floods and seismology. I live in Oregon, site of huge tsunamis, floods, volcanic explosions, and mountain collapses in the few millenia humans have lived here. The 25+ Missoula/Bretz floods between 15000 and 13000 years ago are instructive.

Glaciers made ice dams on the Clark Fork river. The waters backed up for 50 years or more, creating a huge impoundment (Lake Missoula) in what is now Montana. As the ice got deeper, the pressure melted the bottom, and lake water penetrated, eventually floating the gigantic ice plug and pushing it west. That released the lake, with water pouring out at up to 60 cubic kilometers per hour. The water scoured out the scablands of eastern Washington, then hammered its way down the channel of the Columbia river to the sea.

The narrows around Kalama Washington backed up the flood, creating a huge lake covering where Portland is now in 120 meters of water, and spilling up the Willamette river valley as far south as Eugene, 170 kilometers to the south. Giant icebergs floating in the torrent left glacial till far up in the hills.

This happened over and over again, until the ice age ended. These floods are not gradual, diffusive processes; water has inertia, fluids flow has nonlinearities, shock waves form, resonances occur, sometimes at enormous scales.

The Zanclean Mediterranean flood 5.3 million years ago was much, much bigger. The far-future flood depicted in Time may be larger still, depending on the geological changes that re-dam the Gibraltar Strait and how the water sculpts them. These effects may be tiny compared to continents and mountain ranges, but they are enormous on the scale of inland seas.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:It looks like if they run straight south they'll cut a quarter to a third off their distance...

But they must avoid rivers (difficult to cross) and the lowest altitudes (because of the flood). Somebody willing to bet for the safest path?

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Still runnONG...

ETA: title text unchanged, still “Run.”. Will probably remain so for the foreseeable future.
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”