1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jeffallen55

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jeffallen55 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:15 am UTC

myhelfy wrote:I am disgustingly filled with admiration. For everything. Everywhere. All over.

I just wanted to echo this statement. You people are freaks. I say that with nothing but love, as I am a data freak myself, particularly with regards to baseball. This is an incredible group, and I only wish I'd been coming here longer.

As a token of my gratitude, I have baked for you all a pie with four and twenty black sparrowraptors.
Spoiler:

The secret ingredient is saltcoffeesemencancerbaconbabiesonice.

Molpy down!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:59 am UTC

Bump
floppy_gunk wrote:I was about to get the ONG, and then realised I don't know how to post images... How do you do it?

To post the image https://c479107.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/fil ... 638094.jpg you enter the following code:

Code: Select all

[img]https://c479107.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/15885/area14mp/dfdfjqwn-1348638094.jpg[/img]

The result is Image
Or you use the button "img" above the posting field.
There is a minimum to the amount of posts required before posting images. I don't know how many you need.
There is also a minimum of posts before posting links. I believe that's five.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:00 am UTC

DONG-HILL

Note:
Due to the latest exciting plot twists the perceived post rate rocketed upwards in both numbers and line count, and even for a regular like me it is becoming very hard to keep up and reading all posts with appropriate care. I'd like to appeal to those participating in the discussion to continue doing so - but it is now more important than ever to to it on the crest and not behind the wave, and maybe bear the "interesting skirt" rule in mind.

Additionally, I'll be offline for two weeks, starting on Friday (and residing 600km South/Southwest of Château d'If). Does anyone care giving me an estimate for the catchup I may have to perform afterwards? Ah - better don't. I should ask GLR to perform another starfield simulation night. This time with a clouded sky.

:mrgreen:
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:08 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:DONG-HILL

Note:
Due to the latest exciting plot twists the perceived post rate rocketed upwards in both numbers and line count, and even for a regular like me it is becoming very hard to keep up and reading all posts with appropriate care. I'd like to appeal to those participating in the discussion to continue doing so - but it is now more important than ever to to it on the crest and not behind the wave, and maybe bear the "interesting skirt" rule in mind.

Additionally, I'll be offline for two weeks, starting on Friday (and residing 600km south/southeast of Château d'If). Does anyone care giving me an estimate for the catchup I may have to perform afterwards? Ah - better don't. I should ask GLR to perform another starfield simulation night. This time with a clouded sky.

:mrgreen:

Spoiler:
With the rate of about 10 np each 24 hours (warning: disgustingly small sample size) I would guess approximately 140 np.
But i would guess that Sardinia has tubes as well.

Edit: spelling correction.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:18 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Spoiler:
With the rate of about 10 np each 24 hours (warning: disgustingly small sample size) I would guess approximately 140 np.
But i would guess that Sardinia has tubes ass well.

I silently corrected the directions *blush* - But there'd be internet, too, of course.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:24 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:Could such a shift be big enough to account for the approximately 2.5 degree discrepancy between the map latitude (according to present day maps) and the apparent astronomical latitude?

IIRC, the latitude was determined by assuming the straightest of the startrails and then trying to measure the angle of a maybe 100px long row of white dots... Isn't 2,5° well within the margin of error?
Go Minim go!

mk_chem

Postby mk_chem » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:26 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:There is a minimum to the amount of posts required before posting images. I don't know how many you need.
There is also a minimum of posts before posting links. I believe that's five.

I did an ONG in my 4th post, without the post being regarded as spam.

probably i can post links now, too

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:28 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Spoiler:
But i would guess that Sardinia has tubes ass well.

I silently corrected the directions *blush* - But there'd be internet, too, of course.

Ah, Mallorca/Ibiza. One of the predicted places the Quegannites might have gone to (will go to? It's in the future). Have a nice trip!
Ibiza certainly has teh tubes. Party animals molpies need to update their facebug status and twitter raptor of course.

he/him/his

azule
Saved

Blind-Rant NP1084

Postby azule » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:41 am UTC

Time for a rant. A must read if you're on offtopic poster.
BytEfLUSh wrote:I can't wait for the 2014 World Cup to start... I'll be updating as often as possible. Or maybe I won't be patient enough, so I'll be talking about Novak Đoković as soon as US Open starts. :D

Seeing that it's becoming an accepted topic in here....I have to speak up. Long ago we made it a goal to stay on topic and have the longest on topic thread. Mostly this referred to a flame-war free thread. When silly games and other tangents arose we were tolerant. They were tangentially connected, they were sometimes later proven more on topic than first realized. But usually they were also mostly short-lived.

Now, to be more direct, I didn't mind seeing that introductory post on the TdF by mr.grumbles, but as a recurring feature.... Please, people, that is what the other forums are for, even what the other threads are for. Would you start a new thread in the XKCD Comics Forum for the TdF?? Never. Let's not do this with even more sports or what have you that is polluting the OTT.

If offended, sorry, but good. Trying to appear tangentially on topic is fine in the OTT, but not even trying.... *sigh*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:59 am UTC

This is super late, but I guess you could say that Cuegan were...up all night to get Lucky!

At the moment, I'm predicting that Lucky will run back into Cuegan because of the rising water and either join forces with them, rush by, or attack again out of desperation. Hopefully not the latter.

ETA: Also I'm guessing that when they reach the Wowterfall, they'll be able to check on the water level/speed.

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:00 am UTC

Still TravellONG

Fixing tags
Last edited by SPACKlick on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:00 am UTC

ON TOPIC ONG DOWNHILLONG
Spoiler:

Edit: Pfffffh, don't edit to ONG :-P

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:07 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Edit: Pfffffh, don't edit to ONG :-P

Yeah, sorry about that, I posted it in {img}{/img} tags so it was just a link.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:24 am UTC

wizpretz wrote:I kind of miss the old OTC. Back when it was just two people building a sandcastle. We didn't know why, where, when, nor who and many of us didn't really care. It was a simpler Time. Now we have plot and characters and suspense and a̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ (on second thought, there's no such thing as action when the action unfolds a newpix at a Time). It's a little less special now. I'm not saying I don't like plot, and the OTC is still the best thing in the entire universe, but it's just a little less special.
So you're a fan of the principle of least action? :D
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:02 am UTC

FernONG

ETA: This is the same location as M and G 2066-2078, but the frame is shifted somewhat to the left.
Last edited by frakhorsestaplers on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:17 am UTC

frakhorsestaplers wrote:FernONG

Spoiler:

Ah, this looks like the "BOP" plant.

It was a simpler time.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

thunderrabbit

Postby thunderrabbit » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:31 am UTC

Edit to prepend it IS the BOP plant

Wow; from frame to frame, they don't appear to be running, but when comparing these newpix to the corresponding newpix on the way *up* the mountain, they're going something like an order of magnitude faster.

The current frame (http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/2983)
Spoiler:
and the previous frame
Spoiler:
skip an entire 10-frame scene that started at http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/2079

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:39 am UTC

thunderrabbit wrote:Edit to prepend "it is the BOP plant"

Wow; from frame to frame, they don't appear to be running, but when comparing these newpix to the corresponding newpix on the way *up* the mountain, they're going something like an order of magnitude faster.

It's quite possible that they are only going, say, twice as fast and we are skipping more of the journey. It has already been shown that inside-time vs outside-time is not consistent, and that we skipped plenty of their journey even on the way up.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:50 am UTC

Wildhound wrote:
thunderrabbit wrote:Edit to prepend "it is the BOP plant"

It's quite possible that they are only going, say, twice as fast and we are skipping more of the journey. It has already been shown that inside-time vs outside-time is not consistent, and that we skipped plenty of their journey even on the way up.

They weren't in a hurry going up. They studied the wowterfall, took their time during the star scenes and they walked instead of the running they do now. They could easily go 10 times as fast.
Running downhill goes fast. Extremely fast. However it's dangerous. If you're barreling down a mountain at 15 km/h (10 mph) you can make good time, until you fall and break your neck.

Prediction: they'll keep running through the night. Queball will fall and break his neck. Megan will trip over Quegan's dying body and break her leg (the good one, not the meowpy mauled one) She'll continue for a while but after a fewpix she'll pass out from blood loss. Lucky will feast on her dead body. Thus ends Time

he/him/his

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:51 am UTC

Morning ketchup.

hunjoh wrote:Explanation: On the "high" side it doesn't matter how deep I go because the density inside the pipe and outside the pipe are the same. So there will never be a pressure differential. On the "low" side the density outside the pipe is lower than inside the pipe, therefore the lower the pipe extends the greater the differential pressure is. Am I missing something here?

Actually, yes. The density is higher on the inside than out on the Atlantic side also if the thing is working at all.

Think of it this way. Take a long pipe and lower its ends down equally on each side of the barrier (but keep it filled with water, not air). The pressure starts out higher on the Atlantic side because of the dam making the water 3m deeper there. Start the Atlantic pipe at a depth of 3m and the Med side at its sea level. The deeper you go the higher the pressure on both sides. But it increases faster on the Med side since the water is denser there. Eventually it is enough to overcome the pressure difference caused by the dam and enough to push the heavier water over it.

cryptoengineer wrote:<snip>
One other wrinkle: There's a limit to how much you can do with a siphon. If the high point is such that the pressure there falls low enough (about minus 1 atmosphere = about 34 feet of water), the water will vaporize, creating a gas pocket and stopping the siphon. This may rule out using a seabed siphon through the strait, but I haven't run the numbers.

True enough, but it doesn't apply here since the total rise is only 3m. @hunjoh said similar.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:59 am UTC

Aww, I missed the Lucky scene. But luckily, I didn't ‘cheat’ and keught up on the OTC while OTT-upketching, so I still got a bit of the three story, as described so well by xpatiate.

k.bookbinder wrote:Happy 600 Yappo! Here is a cake with exactly 600 pieces of peanut butter cups, or so I am told.
Spoiler:

Indeed, happy 600th, yappo!
But k.bookbinder, you should ask your money back. An estimate: in the lower layer, we can count about 15 pieces, so the circumference is about 30. That's a radius of 30/2π ≈ 4.77. There are about 7 layers, so the volume is approximately 7×π×4.77² ≈ 500. Image

azule wrote:And because I love all of you so much, here's some mustard (seemingly uncaught (7np later)): np(m)2746
Spoiler:

Good catch! We seem to have missed that completely, even though it's clearly visible with the naked eye. It was there originally and hasn't been fixed.
(If the GLR fixes this some time within the next icositetranewpix, it'll be pretty much proof that He reads the OTT or has minions to do that.)

higgs-boson wrote:Note:

I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly, but I think you're saying: present dwellers can post what they want, but blitzers need to think twice before they post.
If that's the case, then: please, not that again... Blitzers, please keep posting as you like, many of us do appreciate your updates!
(In any case, posts from the past are only a tiny part of the volume. The OTT is much more polluted with off-topic posts, unspoilered huge images, unsnipped huge quotes followed by a single sentence of reply, posts saying the exact same thing that was said 10 times in the past NP, complaints about what's being posted (like this one), and those are all from us present dwellers.)

thunderrabbit wrote:Wow; from frame to frame, they don't appear to be running, but when comparing these newpix to the corresponding newpix on the way *up* the mountain, they're going something like an order of magnitude faster.

Cuegan is going a lot faster than on the way up – sometimes running, sometimes simply walking faster – but more importantly, the OTC is moving faster, i.e. there's more Inside time between two newpix.
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:05 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

foilman

Postby foilman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:00 am UTC

BoppONG again on their way past

Montov

Postby Montov » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:11 am UTC

I haven't seen a (medical) discussion about the miracle ointment which healed Megan's leg. Any medical experts here what is could've been? Is it futuristic advancement? Nano-bots?

Will the ointment, which could be named Wolverinium, cause problems down the road? Is she already a cyborg?

thunderrabbit

Postby thunderrabbit » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:13 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Good catch! We seem to have missed that completely, even though it's clearly visible with the naked eye. It was there originally and hasn't been fixed.

How are you guys seeing anything on that frame? There was mention of mustard on windows inside the castle, but I just see white.
Do I need to buy new monitors and go through the entire OTC *again*???

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:14 am UTC

foilman wrote:BoppONG again on their way past
Spoiler:

Molpy up!

What is it that Megan has against that poor plant?

They certainly are huffing it down, aren't they? Can anyone figure out the speed of their descent, at their current rate? I suppose such a calculation might not be so useful, as it would be difficult to compare to their ascent, in many ways. Also, we would have to consider time compression as viewers from the Outside, so we would really be measuring the rate of Time itself, without really knowing how fast Cuegan are actually progressing back down. Still, they do seem to be traveling quite quickly.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:16 am UTC

Montov wrote:I haven't seen a (medical) discussion about the miracle ointment which healed Megan's leg. Any medical experts here what is could've been? Is it futuristic advancement? Nano-bots?

Will the ointment, which could be named Wolverinium, cause problems down the road? Is she already a cyborg?

It's a local anesthetic so she doesn't feel the infection that was to far along to cure.

he/him/his

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:20 am UTC

thunderrabbit wrote:
mscha wrote:Good catch! We seem to have missed that completely, even though it's clearly visible with the naked eye. It was there originally and hasn't been fixed.

How are you guys seeing anything on that frame? There was mention of mustard on windows inside the castle, but I just see white.

Does this help?
Spoiler:
(Hmm, forum is getting slower and slower, for me. Edit: and seems to be back to normal now.)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:22 am UTC

mscha wrote:
azule wrote:And because I love all of you so much, here's some mustard (seemingly uncaught (7np later)): np(m)2746
Spoiler:

(If the GLR fixes this some time within the next icositetranewpix, it'll be pretty much proof that He reads the OTT or has minions to do that.)

Hmmm. I don't see it at all. Adjusting exposure and gamma in photoshop doesn't reveal it. Are you funning with us or am I missing something?

eta. Ahhh. Perhaps the "moon" was just an attempt to help us find the single pixel/small # of pixels. I was looking for the moon.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:23 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Montov wrote:I haven't seen a (medical) discussion about the miracle ointment which healed Megan's leg. Any medical experts here what is could've been? Is it futuristic advancement? Nano-bots?

It's a local anesthetic so she doesn't feel the infection that was to far along to cure.

Or it could just be some kind of disinfectant/superglue combo that sealed the wound and cleaned it. Assuming imminent death for Megball seems illogical until further evidence is presented.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:28 am UTC

frakhorsestaplers wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Or it could just be some kind of disinfectant/superglue combo that sealed the wound and cleaned it. Assuming imminent death for Megball seems illogical until further evidence is presented.

Then I have been illogical for a while now. I have predicted their deaths a couple of dozen times now.

he/him/his

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:29 am UTC

thunderrabbit wrote:
mscha wrote:

If you're using Chrome the colours aren't accurate.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:39 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
frakhorsestaplers wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Then I have been illogical for a while now. I have predicted their deaths a couple of dozen times now.

Don't worry, they will die... eventually. We all die. Servers die. Nothing is forever. Not even the time.
Last edited by Gedeon on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:40 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

thunderrabbit

Postby thunderrabbit » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:40 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:eta. Ahhh. Perhaps the "moon" was just an attempt to help us find the single pixel/small # of pixels. I was looking for the moon.

Ahhhh yeah me too. I was looking for a moon as well.

Wildhound wrote:If you're using Chrome the colours aren't accurate.

annnnnd yep, I'm on Chrome.

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:44 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Then I have been illogical for a while now. I have predicted their deaths a couple of dozen times now.

And the Neil_Boekend Perpetual End-of-Time Predictor Fan Club (motto: "We'll all be rooned") is still waiting for that list you promised us.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:50 am UTC

a_s_h_e_n wrote:Lucky's going the wrong way, I'm concerned

Not to worry; a good sunny napping-rock is *important* to meowpies. Even big meowpies. I'm sure he'll circle around back up again. (But I hope he's good at ladders, when the sea starts coming in....)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:53 am UTC

foilman wrote:BoppONG again on their way past

Are you sure? I thought maybe the bush bopped them back :twisted:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:56 am UTC

fhorn wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Then I have been illogical for a while now. I have predicted their deaths a couple of dozen times now.

And the Neil_Boekend Perpetual End-of-Time Predictor Fan Club (motto: "We'll all be rooned") is still waiting for that list you promised us.

Yeah, I'll get on it as soon as I have the time.

he/him/his

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:59 am UTC

Oops. Ketchup'd again. Couldn't help it. The future's too chirp cool.
Love the Gibraltar siphon discussion. Hate the unrelated sports updates.
Bye again, FutureFolk! Back to NP799. This time for realz.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

foilman

Postby foilman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

DescendONG

CasCat

Watch out for the cliffONG

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Ninja'd
Last edited by CasCat on Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:00 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”