1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

edo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

They are somewhere near here: http://geohash.org/speed the GeoHash is "speed." Just saying.

I wonder if his starting point was a real word too.

Jeez, Popedom. Um, come up with wild theories about how Randall came up with this comic.

Um, mine is that he typed (mostly) random words into geohash to see where it would take him. That, and someone asking him a what-if about refilling the Mediterranian got his interest up to the point he made the whole comic.

Or he just wanted a shot at a Hugo award.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

edo wrote:<snip> Jeez, Popedom. Um, come up with wild theories about how Randall came up with this comic. </snip>

The speculation that Randall is reading the OTT is correct. What we don't realize is that he can read it *in advance*. He's just copying the ONGs back onto the server.

This will work beautifully until one late night when no one is around to ONG and newpixbot suffers a power outage. With nothing posted on the thread, the server will be unable to update, and then no one will ever post the ONG. Thus ends Time.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

RestONG and checkONG the map.

Edit: they haven't been here yet either – or more precisely, we haven't seen them here.
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Is that a yucca plant?

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:
Pikrass wrote:I think he initially thought he'd do a slow-paced comic with a really simple plot (sandcastles), and when he found out Time had a huge success he thought of a more developed story.

That's my own suspicion as well. I think he may have switched gears and sketched out a larger plot quite early - possibly as far back as the very first pan. But I think the OTT actually has a lot to do with the OTC not being a little zen vignette about sandcastles.

The whole of xkcd is a huge success. I don't think he expected this comic, which (like the various April Fools gags) does something new and exciting that is designed to hold interest, to buck that trend. I don't think he went to the trouble of coding it and inventing a new way of using a comic just for something small and undeveloped that he didn't think would have much success. I'm not even sure how you measure the success of this comic relative to the others; do we even know it is huge? Huger than the success of the April Fools jokes and other more innovative comics, which he'd probably expect this to be at least as successful as? Even disregarding the predictable success, I think he had a story to tell and would have told it whether or not that success was huge. I can imagine this being something he'd been thinking about ever since finding out about how the Med filled last time, a what-if in his head that he was researching and trying to figure out how to present.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

mscha wrote:RestONG and checkONG the map.
Spoiler:

Edit: they haven't been here yet either – or more precisely, we haven't seen them here.

Which explains the map-checking. Have they come a reasonable distance from the tunnel, do you think, to be stopping for the night, or do you think they're pausing for lunch and to get their breath?
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Per Papal Decree:

He was standing on his toilet hanging a clock, and he fell and hit his head on the sink. And that's when he came up with the idea for the flux capacitor Time.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Firstpost, flinging it waaay up to the present:
xan33 wrote:Not sure if this has been said/how insane it is... but the word in 2863 and 2864 when they come in to meet the woman, is the same that is used in 2882 where they are leaving. So I guess it's equivalent to the word salut in French, where it means hello and goodbye and apparently Madagascar is a former French colony and French is widely spoken there by the looks of it.

In 2708 when he's learning to say drink/water they repeats the word back to him with a second line above the 's' like character at the end of the word which could suggest that he was stressing a vowel sound by elongating it, to get him to pronounce it correctly? And it could either mean drink or water, which in french is boire or eau. If vowels are the lines added above characters and it is a substitution code then it makes sense that it'd be boire as it's closer in length.

On this assumption I went back a bit and tried to find some letters I could replace in some short words to find some simple French words. I found in panel 2668 they use a word the starts with both the start of 'salut' and boire', but I doubt he said bs. However if the words are also backwards... then it would be 'te' which can mean 'you' and would be a reasonable way for him to start the sentence. Plausible? Already mentioned?

Hello, xan33, I don't know what's going on up there in the present, but new pages are accumulating like nobody's business, and some de-lurks are being missed - so welcome to the thread! Glad to have you here, and I like your ‘backwards’ theory. My general thought is that this is either a purely Randall language, or that he's run a language through several different processes to make it tougher on us, and backwards fits nicely with both of those possibilities. :)

ETA from newpage 1130
Last edited by BlueCrab on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

edo wrote:Jeez, Popedom. Um, come up with wild theories about how Randall came up with this comic.

He filled a bath, then got in and the water overflowed. "Eureka!" GLR said, and came up with Time.

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

Which explains the map-checking. Have they come a reasonable distance from the tunnel, do you think, to be stopping for the night, or do you think they're pausing for lunch and to get their breath?

My guess is stopping for the night. They've covered a huge distance since the last time they (presumably) slept, in the structure near the second tower. Must be time to sleep again.

As for how the GLR came up with Time: he was looking for something he hadn't done before – so why not add a dimension, time?
(I don't think that he had any idea how far he'd go with it when he started. Let's build a castle and see where it goes from there. Hmm, the sea is rising and never falling, let's come up with an explanation. Etc.)
Last edited by mscha on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

Midday meal and a bit of planning.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Alright, I've blitzed through the OTC. That was... an action-packed month. There weren't any Le Petite sightings or anything else subtle-but-important that I might have missed, right?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:Alright, I've blitzed through the OTC. That was... an action-packed month. There weren't any Le Petite sightings or anything else subtle-but-important that I might have missed, right?

No LaPetite. Just a few Beanies, some crazy language deciphering blotches, a bunch of info about where they are and what's happening, a scared raptorcat and a lot of running. ;)

Welcome back to the Present! You might need a pair of these:
Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:Alright, I've blitzed through the OTC. That was... an action-packed month. There weren't any Le Petite sightings or anything else subtle-but-important that I might have missed, right?

What? You missed the UFO? [/jk]

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:

No LaPetite. Just a few Beanies, some crazy language deciphering blotches, a bunch of info about where they are and what's happening, a scared raptorcat and a lot of running. ;)

Welcome back to the Present! You might need a pair of these:
Spoiler:

Much appreciated! I'm going to just go ahead and hope that that's a powerup cupcake that makes me run faster, because I am never going to be able to fit my feet in there!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Fictioneer wrote:

What? You missed the UFO? [/jk]

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

About the only thing visually subtle I recall is that Rosetta's (one of several names for the woman who explained everything) speech often has other words behind (usually synonyms). Some attempts have been made to use her speech to help figure out the Beanish language, but the honest truth is that we've gotten almost nowhere on the language, with the only words we know with much certainty being water, which was explained in text and something like yes/ok/yeah, which we're only reasonably sure about, a generic greeting, which we're only reasonably sure about, and maybe one of the Beanie's names. Otherwise, a whole lot of speculation, but nothing solid, although a lot of interesting work on classifying the letters, and I think there's even a font available for it now.

You should do what I do, and ketchup by working backwards and mostly just looking for more info on discussions from the present that interest you (backwards ketchuping being perhaps called mayoing, or upketching, but not enough people doing it to really have a solid word for it yet.)

ETA: Oh, and the tooltip text changed to "RUN" right before they took off out of the big chamber, if you didn't notice that already.
Last edited by b2bomberkrh on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

There was this eye-like appearance earlier, but besides that not really.

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

frakhorsestaplers wrote:

There was this eye-like appearance earlier, but besides that not really.

well that's truly terrifying

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

The night sky that was shown is consistent with a date of April 10th, 13291 A.D., and possibly a few other dates within a +- 1000 year span around that date. This is after taking precession, celestial proper movement etc. into account. Also, Antares is missing and presumed dead to have gone supernova.

ETA: Also, the frames that showed the meteor (starting here on mscha's viewer) appeared outside of the usual hourly update sequence. Nothing of the sort has been observed again since.

Edit 2: grammar fix
Last edited by svenman on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:49 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

GLR's been experimenting in xkcd outside the comic box (frame? border?) recently. Click and drag and Umwelt, although complete in themselves can be seen as moving in the direction of Time. I've said before, that unless he tells us, or we get observations from outside the comic, I don't think we can tell whether he had it all planned out (and perhaps even drawn) before it started, or he's making it up as he goes. If I were him, I'd at least do it in batches, to provide for outside emergencies.

He's show interest in geography (Cassini earth) and flooding recently, those could either be offshoots of his work on Time, or precursors.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

Prediction: Randall will post as PagePope on page 1190. All OTTers will have immediate heart attacks from shock and surprise.

Thus ends Time.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

Will page 1190 not collapse us into some kind of singularity?

Molpylarity?
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:Prediction: Randall will post as PagePope on page 1190. All OTTers will have immediate heart attacks from shock and surprise.

Thus ends Time.

Time will continue, it's just the Timewaiters who will be no more. Though if no one waits for the time, will it still "..." or "run"? Will time stop for us? Will time stop for Death? Will Death still tax us? Will paying taxes ever be fun? Will Batman ever escape this dastardy trap? Will I ever shut up?

EDIT: And I'm sure someone already has a post ready, and is just counting the ones on this page, waiting for the time to strike...
Last edited by Febrion on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

jowo

Postby jowo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Let's remember the thread's second posting:

Alsadius wrote:I can't tell if Randall is trying to be deep, or just trying to take a day off work.

I'm quite curious what GLR would have done had we just ignored the comic. One thing I'm absolutely certain of is that he didn't know whether anyone would pay attention to a sand castle being built on a beach. Anyone who's published anything on the web understands their audience is unpredictable--sometimes you post something you think is junk and it attracts lots of hits, and other times you put lots of effort into something and it falls flat.

What's obvious to me is that Randall anticipated an initial rush on both the comic and the forum, and warned both his server team(s) and the forum administrators to expect it (I'm also guessing that the javascript was written by a server administrator, though it ultimately doesn't matter). I expect our author had (has) an idea where the comic would go, but that he had a bail-out plan if noone seemed interested.

Before he standardized the image timestamps there was evidence that he was 1) doing frames in blocks, and 2) occasionally making last-minute changes. And we know that 3) he's either reading the needle-pulled thing or getting feedback from one of us (probably a lurker, and/or one of the mods). Personally I think he's got a bunch of frames already drawn, but that he's not drawn everything; and he's got a plan, but that it's a flexible plan. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced the story's ever going to end.

But that's speculation. :wink:
It's about Time....

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:ETA: Oh, and the tooltip text changed to "RUN" right before they took off out of the big chamber, if you didn't notice that already.

And, for roughly the preceding newpix, the tooltip text was at "...". The two changes of the tooltip text, as observed, did not conicide precisely with the picture frame change but happened a few minutes afterwards, respectively.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Fictioneer wrote:Is that a yucca plant?

Ooh! Yucca. Some species have tasty roots! Cut into large "fries", fry it up. Serve with salt and lime. Delicious! Also tasty with
Spoiler:
Ketchup.

Oh wait. Wrong yucca yuca. Damn common botanical names. Still, fried yuca sounds tasty right now.

I think the GLR, Creator of Time, was somehow inspired to create a movie. However, having once stated that he was not interested in creating an animated film/series based on xkcd, he came up with Time as a compromise.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

How about this for a crazy theory. MobTeeseBoose = GLR.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:Wizpretz, I'm sorry you feel the OTC is less special now. For me, the recent events have made it even more epic-ly special than it already was. Before, there was a lot of mystery and puzzlement, and a lot of effort and labour went into trying to figure things out. Above all there was a lack of context - so many things we just didn't know. Now, a lot of answers have been provided, and although that implies a more conventional narrative, and removes some of the need for puzzle-solving, it has brought context and background to the picture. We now know who these people are, what's happening to their world and are deeply emotionally invested in the outcome of their journey. And there are still many more questions to answer.

I still think that the OTC is epic and special, and it is in a more conventional way.
But I have a natural aversion to popularity and convention.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:How about this for a crazy theory. MobTeeseBoose = GLR.

But MobTeeseBoose hasn't been here for several days!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
moody7277 wrote:How about this for a crazy theory. MobTeeseBoose = GLR.

But MobTeeseBoose hasn't been here for several days!

Randall's tired of listening to us? Say it isn't so!

kasmeneo

Postby kasmeneo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

still runONG, in the dunes now.

And I finally de-lurked in this epic thread.

edit: fixed image link.
Last edited by kasmeneo on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's cooler up here.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

DunONG

Spoiler:
ninja'd
Last edited by Eutychus on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

DJ3000

Postby DJ3000 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Thought I would share this photo which reminded me so much of the OTC.... (these are called quiver trees)

Spoiler:
milky-way-over-quiver-tree-forest.jpg

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Whee! Whatever page is currently present, it's raining firstposts!
mikevonwang wrote:sorry if this has been mentioned already, but something just caught my eye:

in frame 2804 when the middle Beanie says something to the leftmost Beanie, the middle one starts off with a single word, "AM2"
in frame 2845 when the group is passing by a longer-haired Beanie, the longer-haired Beanie says "AM2" to the leftmost Beanie before saying the now-familiar "hello!"

I think "AM2" is that leftmost Beanie's name.

Hi mikevonwang, glad you de-lurked! :D Someone did notice the re-use of that phrase, and basing the others' names on it was done a bit. I think they went with Amtoo, Amnot, and Whynot(?) Not at all sure about the third one. :P
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Fictioneer wrote:Is that a yucca plant?

Looks like a little palm tree to me.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

Ooh, wow.. they're already at the dunes?! I wonder how much inside-Time has passed for them...
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

DJ3000 wrote:Thought I would share this photo which reminded me so much of the OTC.... (these are called quiver trees)
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
milky-way-over-quiver-tree-forest.jpg

Wow4? or is it 5, this really could be the inspiration for at least part of the OTC...
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

In honor of the upcoming Page Number, I just did a Google search on "1190"

First page had radio stations, a wikipedia article on the year 1190, and the OTC (ranked #4) and the explain for the OTC (ranked #8)

Just FYI....
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

I suppose the sea hasn't reached the dunes yet!

(But what about the wowtrees? Shouldn't we have passed those first?)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”