1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:05 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
ucim wrote:The mystery to me is how the Cuegan could be so untraveled, and yet at the same time be ready for a hundred mile stroll on a whim. That still seems like an incongruous combination.

Jose

I don't think of them as untraveled; I still believe that they are in fact nomads of some kind. Just because they're ignorant of many things doesn't make them primitive, just narrow in scope...
No, I mean untraveled, as in don't go to many places. Early on they were talking about how they've never been this far (at least this way) before, and that was when they reached the first real river. And they consider the little river "theirs", so I don't think they are that nomadic. They were awed by the beauty of nature as if they had never seen it before... the "neat" tree, the "wow" trees... it's things like that that make me think they are not well traveled. It has nothing to do with primitiveness.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:07 am UTC

Gedeon wrote:
mscha wrote:What the ch*rp is going on with the OTT today?

Newbies are always welcome here, but they seem to have taken over, ignoring our conventions, refusing to read the wiki, linking to heretic wikis, asking questions that have been answered over and over again, etc.
I feel like a stranger here.

I'm outta here. For today at least, we'll see it gets better tomorrow.

Mscha, don't leave! You are my hero :wink:

Well, as mscha sounds in slavic as "Miša", which can be seen as a name derivative of a mouse, here be some delicious mousecake for you :)

Actually mscha is m scha..., pronounced em sga with some kind of Dutch hard g sound "which is pretty much impossible to do for anyone who isn't Dutch".

I don't think we can expect newcomers to have read everything (or sometimes anything, given the size of this thread), but at the same time you newcomers should realize how irritating it is to answer (or read the answer to) the same question over and over again. This thread is the most welcoming I've ever been a part of and I don't want to lose that. We go out of our way to find first posters and give them cake. Many of the newcomers have given new insight from their area of expertise, that's a valuable addition and we want that.

Not sure what, if anything, we can do about it. New people almost always come in asking questions, and since most of us seem to be geeks, we almost always come in assuming nobody knows as much as we do. There's no entrance exam to join, and blitzing the thread is a humongous task. If you are new(er) and reading this, you might try the wiki, read at least the last few pages of the thread, and grant us some intelligence, there are a lot of very smart people in this thread, and we've generally thought of most of the possibilities.

In return, we promise to welcome you with cake, answer your questions reasonably nicely, and listen to your ideas.

jjjdavidson wrote:And I say again, I don't think Megball's people are quite as primitive as some of us are assuming, nor as dependent on the hill people for their materials. This tower is much more crudely built than their castle scaffolding.
I'm really not sure how much of a success Time has been, outside of our relatively small circle. Its mention on Slashdot was met with a resounding "Meh." Aside from a few blog posts (one, admittedly, in The Economist), it seems to be almost totally under the radar, even in the nerd press. Or have I missed some major news item?

I agree with you jjj on the first point, but want to point out on the second point that at least compared to the rest of xkcd, the Time thread has generated far more interest and activity as the whole rest of xkcd. Whether this remains true after Time ends (if it ends) is another matter.

Edit: added caveat about continuing success.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:11 am UTC

I had my performance review at work today [heresy] and was legitimately paranoid that I would be in trouble for spending so much time lurking on the OTT. Happy to report I can continue on with the Cuegan adventures in Time! Conveniently the great Randall chose to bring us this epic outside of fantasy football season but I fear for my work status if this continues another 1080 frames (= NFL opening day for the hereticals)

Edit: Page pope! (sorry to be a newbie page pope - please don't roll us all into one!) Decree: newbies do your ketchup-ing before posting. Experienced forum-ers, start the 'keep mscha' movement :)
Last edited by schwartzbewithyou on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:12 am UTC

patzer wrote:
Valarya wrote:I went there looking specifically for links to yappo's OTT songs on youtube but couldn't find them anywhere.

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Songs_w ... _the_forum
only the songs with something in the "Singer" column have actually been sung.

Wow, I'm oblivious. Didn't even notice the 'singer' column when perusing this very page yesterday. :oops: Thanks patzer!

@mscha: I think we all know how you feel. I find it ironic, however, that everyone who posted after you left was an elder. (((internet hugs))) :P
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

highwater

Postby highwater » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:14 am UTC

keithl wrote:I would worry about them rolling, but there is the tree at geekwagon 1526, with the bent-over top and cueball saying "It's a pretty big tree. It probably knows what it's doing." That one won't roll.

I've been presuming that the knows-what-its-doing tree was simply avoiding the third wall (by staying low enough to fit in the frame). I'm nowish wondering if it may actually know much more than we do. What does it know?

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:17 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I've been thinking the same for a long time. I originally thought they might be Beduin, based on nothing more than the tents, but the tents do suggest travelers.

I also don't think that their "home" can possibly be very supportive of life. There wouldn't be fish in the sea, and not much is likely to grow in such a saline environment. So, they may have come here relatively recently from the west, not having contact with the locals. There were (actually are, I think) tribes in Africa who traveled hundreds of miles by camel to collect salt and head back to trade it. It isn't entirely impossible that in a collapsed future, salt trade has sprung up again and the 40 are part of it.

An alternative, but related, possibility is that the 40 are the miners of salt who are supported by the traders, but remain at the salt collection point. They might need boards for building salt pans, and bags for transporting it. They would probably find the "things that come down the river" useful.

I'm not putting a lot of trust in this theory or Cuegan would have told the beanie queen/librarian something of it, most likely.

I like the idea that they are salt harvesters. I have been intrigued by Cueball's comment "I've had worse." If the Forty are involved in salt production then it is reasonable that Cueball has had worse....
Last edited by hunjoh on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:18 am UTC

ttscp wrote:Not sure what, if anything, we can do about it. New people almost always come in asking questions, and since most of us seem to be geeks, we almost always come in assuming nobody knows as much as we do. There's no entrance exam to join, and blitzing the thread is a humongous task. If you are new(er) and reading this, you might try the wiki, read at least the last few pages of the thread, and grant us some intelligence, there are a lot of very smart people in this thread, and we've generally thought of most of the possibilities.

In return, we promise to welcome you with cake, answer your questions reasonably nicely, and listen to your ideas.

I would be happier if the newcomers would first try to answer their own questions using, for example, Advanced Search a the top of the page. I've found it extremely useful, especially when searching for our arcana, such as popes and molpies. You can also find all of the posts of any of us by going to the individual's page and searching just their posts for keywords. You can also jump to any page with the "Page 1193 of 1193" link at the top and bottom of every page. So, a bit of homework, kiddies, so that you grok the neighborhood and the lingo of the tribe.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:20 am UTC

shurikt wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote: I thought first to point to the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, but didn't find anything about building with that salt. It is terrifically hard, though. It, too, is the remains of a Pleistocene lake.

Hmm. Given that comparison, I suppose you could build sand castles out of it, based solely on the stalactites of it hanging off the bottom of my truck the last time I went. It would *ruin* your hands, though. Nasty, nasty stuff.

Whenever I start to complain about my job, or anything about my life, I try to think of the salt collectors of Djibouti. Depending on the season they might work in temperatures approaching 50 C, and/or considerable humidity. They wear sandals, and aren't necessarily equipped with gloves (though at this point I really hope I'm misremembering the story I read).

There may be tougher ways to make a living, but if so, I haven't heard of them.

But all this raises a question. Megan talks of sand, and it does seem unlikely they'd be lounging casual-like on a salt beach. But the Mediterranean floor is evaporites, maybe several km thick. Where did the sand come from? Not a rhetorical question -- we can speculate. Could it have blown there, over millennia, from Spain or the south of France, or from Morocco or Algeria? In North America, loess (glacial silt) was blown considerable distances before depositon.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

dm214

Postby dm214 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:23 am UTC

I knew there was something on my to-do list.
For yappobiscuits:
125551.jpg

Did they ever mention the distance from the hills to the tents?
I read, I summarize, I bring cakes. I likely won't answer if you call.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:23 am UTC

ttscp wrote:Actually mscha is m scha..., pronounced em sga with some kind of Dutch hard g sound "which is pretty much impossible to do for anyone who isn't Dutch".

Thanks for the info, been wondering about that for some time, but never had the curage to ask (or time to search if the answer was already given).

And how is your's pronounced? :D

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:25 am UTC

ucim wrote:<snip> Listening to jovialbard's ode as soundtrack to the early part of the comic, I came to the realization that one story-purpose of the extended sandcastle building era was specifically to show just how much sandcastle can be build with this material. Yes, there are awesome sandcastles made of sand, but there are details about the OTC sandcastles that indicate stronger material or a binder (like salt) is involved.

Jose

I wonder about that. I've built largish sandcastles on quite a few beaches around the USA, and you absolutely cannot do what Cuegan were doing with regular sand. For instance, just piling sand up like that, a vertical wall even one foot tall would collapse. You'd need to slope the walls. (You can do somewhat better if you make a big pile of sand, soak it, tamp it down, and then carve away. But they didn't do that. And you still couldn't go as tall as they did. I think serious sandcastle builders do better, but I guess they must add something to the sand as a binder?)

With salt or saltsand or saltsandgypsum or something, who knows, maybe you could build these structures -- I have no idea. (Intuitively, I'd expect salt to do nasty things to your hands, as someone pointed out. But maybe not in the right mixture?) But there's also a problem of scale. Working HARD and steadily for an entire afternoon, with a full garden shovel on a beach in Hawaii, I once managed to make a conical pile of sand that was *maybe* five feet tall and ten feet across at the base. (The kids then had a grand time playing King of the Hill. 8-) ) Working with bare hands would be much slower, speaking from experience. Looking at the amount of material alone, I think it would have taken days and days just to build the first two castles (up to frame 170ish, before the swim). Just what Megan does from M238 through M257, building her "nap bed", would take hours.

So I've always assumed that the sandcastles were not meant to be realistic.

(Edit to fix frame numbers.)
Last edited by nerdsniped on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:26 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:Blindpost, np 1129
NetWeasel wrote:Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering)

Has someone posted a spoiler/time.png on np 1130 and no ones been able to contact them to remove it? Is this still in effect?

Answer:
It's not a specific advisory, it's a general one.
Around and a little past frame 2900 is when a huge bunch of stuff is suddenly revealed, which was just a little after page 1130. After that point, everybody was freaking out about the revelations and new implications that would be huge spoilers to anyone who was back at the Lucky Shack.
Personally, if I were that far back, I would have wanted a warning before I accidentally fell headlong into Spoilerville.

A Real Spoiler:
Spoiler:
If you were back at the Lucky Attack, and found people on the Thread talking about the Mediterranean Sea quickly refilling, and THEN met the Beanies -- THAT's a spoiler I wouldn't want someone to find out about before the big map reveal. So I put in an advisory.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:26 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
ttscp wrote:Not sure what, if anything, we can do about it. New people almost always come in asking questions, and since most of us seem to be geeks, we almost always come in assuming nobody knows as much as we do. There's no entrance exam to join, and blitzing the thread is a humongous task. If you are new(er) and reading this, you might try the wiki, read at least the last few pages of the thread, and grant us some intelligence, there are a lot of very smart people in this thread, and we've generally thought of most of the possibilities.

I would be happier if the newcomers would first try to answer their own questions using, for example, Advanced Search a the top of the page. I've found it extremely useful, especially when searching for our arcana, such as popes and molpies. You can also find all of the posts of any of us by going to the individual's page and searching just their posts for keywords. You can also jump to any page with the "Page 1193 of 1193" link at the top and bottom of every page. So, a bit of homework, kiddies, so that you grok the neighborhood and the lingo of the tribe.

Agreed. Charlie, are you still in self imposed exile as your location implies? You seem to be pretty much fully back with us.

Gedeon wrote:And how is your's pronounced?
Ah yes. I'm impenetrable or is that unpronounceable? It's my initials, plus a few letters. Of course I could resort to being a curmudgeonly elder and tell you I'd already answered the question, but that would mean I'd have to go look it up myself. :-)
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:29 am UTC

partingLance wrote:But all this raises a question. Megan talks of sand, and it does seem unlikely they'd be lounging casual-like on a salt beach. But the Mediterranean floor is evaporites, maybe several km thick. Where did the sand come from? Not a rhetorical question -- we can speculate. Could it have blown there, over millennia, from Spain or the south of France, or from Morocco or Algeria? In North America, loess (glacial silt) was blown considerable distances before depositon.

Their beach is at the bottom of a river that doesn't quite make it to the beach. I imagine there is a lot of sediment spread out down there. Rivers have a big impact in adding sand to beaches. (A beach near where I live has been visibly eroding away over the course of my life, due largely to a dam on the main tributary of the river that ends at that beach. Said dam is now so backed up with sediment that reeds break the surface of the entire surface of the lake behind it, and that sediment would otherwise have washed downriver and replenished the beaches. Huge WWII-era antiaircraft gun mounts which were high atop dunes when I was a kid are now mostly submerged, because there are no more dunes).
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:31 am UTC

partingLance wrote:But all this raises a question. Megan talks of sand, and it does seem unlikely they'd be lounging casual-like on a salt beach. But the Mediterranean floor is evaporites, maybe several km thick. Where did the sand come from? Not a rhetorical question -- we can speculate. Could it have blown there, over millennia, from Spain or the south of France, or from Morocco or Algeria? In North America, loess (glacial silt) was blown considerable distances before depositon.

When there are south winds from saharian Africa, sand falls from the sky as high as Split, Croatia (more than 1500 km). On satelite images, you can see trail of sand being blown across the Med.

http://www.crometeo.hr/pijesak-iz-sahare-padao-s-kisom-u-dalmaciji-foto/

But the river sediment theory seems more plausible. Look at the Danube or Nile delta, they're huge!
Last edited by Gedeon on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:33 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:32 am UTC

A dollop of Ketchup

@Angelastic = "flashback" frame
@jazz14456, Montov - OTT by frame number
@mscha, Gedeon - newbies

Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:I don't get why people think that black frame was a flashback to the beach. It was a nighttime/dark tunnel, exactly like the black frame the previous time they slept in that tower.

I said it somewhat satirically, if anyone picked it up seriously, well, that's their opinion. Seemed pretty clearly a scene change / nighttime to me.

jazz14456 wrote:
Montov wrote:They have encountered the plant before, at frame 1681:

I wish we could view all postings of a particular frame in the OTT based on the frame number. This would require to manually tag all posts with 1 or multiple frame numbers though...
But then we could easily see all the speculations of that plant at the OTT. :P

Why not just search this thread, with quotations marks "1681" or whatever the frame number is?

I believe Kieryn's site had similar functionality, but it hasn't been updated in a while. It would have all of them up to a month or so ago, however.

mscha wrote:What the ch*rp is going on with the OTT today?

Newbies are always welcome here, but they seem to have taken over, ignoring our conventions, refusing to read the wiki, linking to heretic wikis, asking questions that have been answered over and over again, etc.
I feel like a stranger here.

I'm outta here. For today at least, we'll see it gets better tomorrow.

Oi, I know, right? People, read the wiki! It will fill in a lot of your blanks!

Oh, and if you happen to notice some stylish hats and want one of your own, the DragonDashery is always open ;)

Gedeon wrote:@mscha: This is not like you. Are you okay?

On my part, a few dix ago I was starting to feel strange about ketchuping through whole newpages where every poster had hundreds of posts in the thread, and seeing that as a troubling sign for the future. I'm much happier with new points of view represented.

I agree, it's always great to have new people joining us and inserting their opinions. It's just a little off-putting when a whole bunch come at once and triple-post and remark on things that were explained mere newpages ago and other such breaches of conduct that are not terrible but a little annoying ;)
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:40 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:33 am UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:Blindpost, np 1129
NetWeasel wrote:Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering)

Has someone posted a spoiler/time.png on np 1130 and no ones been able to contact them to remove it? Is this still in effect?

Answer:
It's not a specific advisory, it's a general one.
Around and a little past frame 2900 is when a huge bunch of stuff is suddenly revealed, which was just a little after page 1130. After that point, everybody was freaking out about the revelations and new implications that would be huge spoilers to anyone who was back at the Lucky Shack.
Personally, if I were that far back, I would have wanted a warning before I accidentally fell headlong into Spoilerville.

A Real Spoiler:
Spoiler:
If you were back at the Lucky Attack, and found people on the Thread talking about the Mediterranean Sea quickly refilling, and THEN met the Beanies -- THAT's a spoiler I wouldn't want someone to find out about before the big map reveal. So I put in an advisory.

Absolutely this. "Do you know where you are?' is THE wham line of the story so far, and it's impact shouldn't be diluted by looking ahead.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:37 am UTC

And sometimes the old-timers just get grumpy. I was a bit grumpy with triple posting and such a couple of pages ago. I also get grumpy when people (not just newbies) quote a giant thing without spoilering it and add just a line or two at the bottom. Especially if it is just "yeah". That is against forum rules, actually, but we don't often object until it gets out of hand.

I'm in the anti-standards camp, of course, but it is helpful if you snip away the parts of the quote that aren't relevant to what you want to say or spoiler it if it might be needed for context. But when a page is mostly quotes it gets a bit tedious. And in the main, only post when you have something to say, though again we are tolerant and appreciate cake.

One thing the fora software doesn't do well is make the signatures easy to skip. So when a siggy is very long it gets in the way, especially when the post it is attached to is very short.

Not setting out rules here, and not actually grumpy, but some things make it easy and some make it hard to keep up. Thanks for helpin' out an old man.

Now, where did I leave my cane?
-- Charlie Grumbles

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:44 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

Their beach is at the bottom of a river that doesn't quite make it to the reach. I imagine there is a lot of sediment spread out down there. Rivers have a big impact in adding sand to beaches. (A beach near where I live has been visibly eroding away over the course of my life, due largely to a dam on the main tributary of the river that ends at that beach. Said dam is now so backed up with sediment that reeds break the surface of the entire surface of the lake behind it, and that sediment would otherwise have washed downriver and replenished the beaches. Huge WWII-era antiaircraft gun mounts which were high atop dunes when I was a kid are now mostly submerged, because there are no more dunes).

I'd forgotten, somehow, about the river. That makes sense. But it would take a pretty seaish river to deposit all the dunes they hike through. I still think there must have been some additional mechanism.

On the OutsideH, i recently revisited the sand dunes at the eastern end of Lake Ontario (Sandbanks Provincial Park), which I hadn't seen since I was nine. I was pleased to see they looked much as ever. For a while, I think, there were restrictions on where you could go, owing to erosion. But it looked like there had been some planting for stabilization, and no access restrictions that I encountered. Wowterful spot; I recommend it, if you can get there.

(I see a few others thought of the salt trade idea, only related it directly to the OTC, which I hadn't).

ETA:
Gedeon wrote:
When there are south winds from saharian Africa, sand falls from the sky as high as Split, Croatia (more than 1500 km). On satelite images, you can see trail of sand being blown across the Med.

http://www.crometeo.hr/pijesak-iz-sahare-padao-s-kisom-u-dalmaciji-foto/

But the river sediment theory seems more plausible. Look at the Danube or Nile delta, they're huge!

True. But consider the flows those rivers have to work with (they know what they're doing), and the sediment load they can therefore carry. I wonder what sort of flow you could expect to make it from the Pyrenees, say, to Cuegan's sea. From the evidence of the hills, it isn't all evaporites, and they must get some rain up there. With more Time, I'd rough out some hydrological calculations. But oh, the demands Outside...
Last edited by partingLance on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:46 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:we are tolerant and appreciate cake.

Now, where did I leave my cane?

I found it for you! :mrgreen:

Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:48 am UTC

I note for your enjoyment that the current frame number (mscha's scheme) is 2997. The big 3000 is coming up pretty soon. I shall miss it till mornix, but any speculation on whether GLR has anything special planned? What is imminent. Their camp? The hill-folk's camp? Lots of water?
-- Charlie Grumbles

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:57 am UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:You can also jump to any page with the "Page 1193 of 1193" link at the top and bottom of every page. So, a bit of homework, kiddies, so that you grok the neighborhood and the lingo of the tribe.
I've been around long enough to be an elder and I did not know about jumping to any page until somebody mentioned it upthread. A ways up thread. It can probably be found, but only if you knew what to look for, and in that case, you'd probably know the answer too.

We cannot control what people do. We can only control how we react to it. It has been that that has kept the peace for over a thousand pages.

We were all green once. A few green posts (and gentle responses) is a small price to pay for this priceless community.

And on the topic of sand, saltation is something to be considered. Interestingly, it induces a static electricity field which increases the number of saltating particles.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:00 am UTC

ucim wrote:We cannot control what people do. We can only control how we react to it. It has been that that has kept the peace for over a thousand pages.

We were all green once. A few green posts (and gentle responses) is a small price to pay for this priceless community.

Cheers. xkcd attracts waves of attention, from people of all ages and nationalities. Patience is golden.
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Movin' ONG up

C'mon, let's see what's through here!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:04 am UTC

neopifex wrote:Movin' ONG up
Spoiler:

Uh oh. I can already tell it's going to be heartbreaking.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:05 am UTC

Neopifex, your postscript is very apt. <sigh> (but I hope you're wrong)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:06 am UTC

Spoiler:

Time to RUN. Not time to think about running. Time to RUN. Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200. Run. No, RUN.
-- Charlie Grumbles

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:07 am UTC

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:

...and they're on a hill, and it's rising, and this was one of the worst-case scenarios we were talking about.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:08 am UTC

CasCat wrote:Neopifex, your postscript is very apt. <sigh> (but I hope you're wrong)

Me too. :( I put that there as a joke, but it seems so ominous now. Perhaps I should change it...
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

Arky

Postby Arky » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:08 am UTC

WELP

My money is on them being forced to turn back without seeing hide or hair of their tribe, only to be stranded on a rapidly shrinking island, only to be rescued by their tribe aboard La Petite's Ark.

I mean, come on, how many newpix of tension could the GLR get out of a shrinking island as the water creeps up pixel by pixel?
Last edited by Arky on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:09 am UTC

I think BlitzGirl might have had some soothing words to smooth over our ruffled feathers, were she here.
In her absence, I would suggest that the recent unpleasantness is due to the fact that no matter how many helpful hints we put out there (read the wiki! use the advanced search! think before you post!), this thread is HUGE, and it's just plain easier to ask than to do the real digging through so many NP of information that would reveal the necessary information.
So it's difficult for the newbies (too much info!), and it's difficult for the old-timers (do your research!). But tolerance and patience can help with a rocky road. As BlitzGirl said:
Yet these divisions do not separate us, but make us more powerful. As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together - whatever Time we may travel, whatever sect we may splinter, whatever graph or song or hat we share - we are not alone. For though Time may scatter us among the pastposts and the Present, in the end, it is also what brought us to this mad, mad, glorious home in the first place.
We Wait for it together, we Run together, for better or for worse. Skip what irritates you, take part in what interests you. Thus it has been and thus it will ever be.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

dm214

Postby dm214 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:18 am UTC

neopifex wrote:
CasCat wrote:Neopifex, your postscript is very apt. <sigh> (but I hope you're wrong)

Me too. :( I put that there as a joke, but it seems so ominous now. Perhaps I should change it...

...and turn this conversation into nonsense for anyone who reads this in the future? In name of referential integrity, I beg you to reconsider.

Arky wrote:I mean, come on, how many newpix of tension could the GLR get out of a shrinking island as the water creeps up pixel by pixel?

IIRC they can swim in sea water (hopefully it didn't change much), and they could use their backpacks as floating support.
I read, I summarize, I bring cakes. I likely won't answer if you call.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:24 am UTC

neopifex wrote:

I remain optimistic. GLR let us know that the baby bird could fly, and so fly away from the rising sea. I find it hard to believe that he would turn the story that dark this late.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:31 am UTC

ttscp wrote:
neopifex wrote:

I remain optimistic. GLR let us know that the baby bird could fly, and so fly away from the rising sea. I find it hard to believe that he would turn the story that dark this late.

Incredibly optimistic projection for next newpix:

"Oh! Hey! There's people down there by the water!"

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:35 am UTC

moody7277 wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
...and they're on a hill, and it's rising, and this was one of the worst-case scenarios we were talking about.
Not quite yet... they're at the top of a rise, with very little downhill behind them (as far as we've seen), and from that point, the horizon can be pretty far off, especially down a slope.
1. It might not be the sea, just a reflection/mirage (not very likely, do not expect it.)
2. It might be the sea, but still very far off -- after all, this is the first time they've noticed it.

I said they should have checked the river while they were there.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

suzi

Postby suzi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:35 am UTC

If they find survivors from The Forty, isn't there a decent chance they'll have a conversation that includes the real names of Cuegan? "Oh hey! [Megan]! [Cueball]! We thought you died! Now get us out of here!"

DavidRa

Postby DavidRa » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:36 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
ttscp wrote:
neopifex wrote:

Incredibly optimistic projection for next newpix:

Along with a comment about the impending wave about to crash over said people?

If so that would be just in Time (chortle) for frame 3K to be "Oh, wait, that's a 100m wall of water", and thus ends Time (I always wanted to throw a [NB] in here somewhere).

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:41 am UTC

DavidRa wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Incredibly optimistic projection for next newpix:
"Oh, wait, that's a 100m wall of water"

"Man, I wish I knew what a camera was, so I could wish I had one right now..."
ChronosDragon wrote: and thus ends Time (I always wanted to throw a [NB] in here somewhere).

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:45 am UTC

Gedeon wrote:PlatformONG

Spoiler:

EDIT: It seems to be hillpeoplish in origin, not beanish.

This platform is very similar in style to the ones Cuegan built at the beach. Could we theorize that the Cueganites learned to build from the Hill People?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:50 am UTC

Good news:

- They haven't crossed any much lower regions to reach this spot. They have an escape route from where they currently are.
- They know where they are and should be close to where their tribe lives.
- Cueball is casually asking "is that the sea?" as if recognizing a landmark, rather than shouting "what in the name of God is that roiling mass of chaos?", which suggests that the sea, however much higher, is not yet being very frisky.

Bad news:

- Their people aren't where they are now, that is, uphill from the current shore and on the escape route. They may be encircled on hills farther down (foreshadowed! and much considered by OTTers as a possibility).

Good news:

Hill people ruins and/or floating debris should offer raft-making materials (foreshadowed!) for a rescue of the non-swimmers, if the sea is non-frisky enough.

Bad news:

I missed the haystack. (old joke)
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”