1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LoneMarauder

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby LoneMarauder » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

As a recent delurker, I am amazed at the awesomely smart folks on this thread.

Is the Book of Aubron broken for anyone but me? It gets to day 11 and then loops back.

Edit: Holy molpy, 6 posts and a PagePope! I'm... honored, I guess.

Decree: Keep calm and don't blink.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Bumping for newpage:

I guess the Forty only speak in exclamation points.

!!! !!!! !!!! ! !!!! !!!! !!!!! !!'!! !!! !!!, !!!!!!.

ETA: Or maybe Cueball's name is !!!!!.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Ok, in regard to my past-page-pope-persuasion-poll, (pause to wipe spittle from keyboard) I'd have to count this ONG as #1 of the 5 I predicted; Cueball has shouted to them. (Assuming these are their people; if they're hill people or others they cannot communicate with in Unglish, that's different....)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Sh1ft

Postby Sh1ft » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

De-lurking in the epic OTT to state that it is my hope the 40!!! link arms and get across that gap post-chirpy-haste.

EDIT: Ninjai'd by the first-post-approval-mods....the sentiment stands.
Last edited by Sh1ft on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

LoneMarauder wrote:Is the Book of Aubron broken for anyone but me? It gets to day 11 and then loops back.

It's broken for me as well. But Aubron must still be keeping up with it; this is the first Time I've checked it in a while, and the RUN at the bottom is new. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

melmel

Postby melmel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

This is really getting exciting! I'm really looking forward to the next newpix to see whether this is LaPetite or the 40, if they're surprised or mad and, most importantly, if they can make it out of there in time!

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

LoneMarauder wrote:Is the Book of Aubron broken for anyone but me?

Every once in a while it seems to get wiped out and then "rebuilt". I just checked it and it went as far as frame 388. I imagine it will be 100% back up shortly.

What's your game plan if you are Cuegan? A few frames ago they said they were going to talk to the group and then head back across, right? But what's their goal? The castle? Everyone at the castle should be prepared (with boats, for example, so they aren't trapped after the flood), but can the 40 reach it in time? Is it possible that the castle will get flooded and the group needs to use the maps to find an even safer spot to go to? Where did the beanish people send everyone else when they went around with their warnings?

Alternative plot twist, the people Cuegan are about to run into are not the 40, but some other group such as the hill people.

melmel

Postby melmel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
LoneMarauder wrote:Is the Book of Aubron broken for anyone but me? It gets to day 11 and then loops back.

It's broken for me as well. But Aubron must still be keeping up with it; this is the first Time I've checked it in a while, and the RUN at the bottom is new. :)

It's said "RUN" for at least a few days now, so it's definitely getting updated. It was working last night when I checked it, but I think it was one frame behind.

ahecht

Postby ahecht » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Aubron's site changed to RUN pretty quickly after the comic changed. It was working fine half an hour ago, but it's been stuck at 388 for a while now.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Thank Randall they made it!

Are those "!" aggregates of 40 people found? Or are we witnessing, as has been suggested, a even newer orthography? I do hope it is just Cuegan's people expressing excitement or relief, and not "!!!!!" "Where the hell have you two been!!?"

Edit: I missed a "!" there.
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

keithl

Re: Random musings

Postby keithl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Davidy wrote: As far as the Gibralter blockage, consider what would be required to accomplish this. The straight is 7.7 miles wide and various depths, with 1/8 mile being a good average. ... The Mediterranean floor is about 500 feet below sea level. ... Water falling that distance would indeed be very turbulent but only for a short distance. Consider Niagara Falls, with 150,000 gallons of water per second falling 175 feet.

The Gibraltar gap is NOT A BATHTUB and NOT A RIVER. It is shorter than a river, much wider, and much deeper, and the basins it connects are vastly larger than bathtubs and lakes.

The Mediterranean is an average of 1.5 kilometers deep, not 500 ft = 0.15 kilometers deep ; let's assume that is a typo in your source. But let's use your assumptions of a water channel 7.7mi = 12.4km wide and 1/8mi = 200 m high. We don't know the actual conditions at this future time ( assumed 12K years in the future?) so the blockage could be geological or man-made. An example of a geological blockage would be a Really Big Earthquake that dropped Gibraltar and some of the Rif mountains into the strait - the Bonneville Slide creating the Bridge of the Gods 900 years ago is a precedent. So are the ice dams that created the the Missoula Floods. A volcano could also fill the gap with boulders and sand (most mountains in the northwest, like the small mountain I'm on right now, are giant sand piles, not solidified lava).

Meanwhile, the Niagara river is less than a meter high when it goes over the falls, and the combination of the three falls is about 1.1 km wide. The river feeding the falls runs downhill a meter or two over about 40km from Lake Erie - the speed limit is set by viscosity for this shallow river. If the water was 200 times deeper, the currents at the top would be 200 times faster, and the total flow would be 40,000 times greater. 440,000 times greater with a gap 11 times wider. Of course, the Niagara doesn't do that, because the Great Lakes Basin doesn't produce that much water. The Atlantic has a wee bit more water available.

The Gibraltar channel from Atlantic to Mediterranean is about 30km long, and the falloff is steep and wide at both sides. The channel will slow the flow, but with a critically important difference - the Atlantic is infinite, compared to Lake Erie, and when the water gets moving towards the gap, it will build up kinetic energy that either stays kinetic energy or turns into potential energy (bulging up). The main frictional effects are from the vast jumble of house-sized boulders smashing along faster than bullet trains near the bottom. The Zanclean flood moved water at 300km per hour, through what is depicted in illustrations as a much longer and narrower channel. So the OTC flood will be at least that fast, possibly faster. The OTC flood might move 10 cubic kilometers of water per minute when the flow eventually gets up to speed, increasing in volume as it cuts a deeper and wider channel through Gibraltar. That is 90,000 times Niagara's 110,000 cubic meters per minute. The power generated by a 10 km3/min OTC flood, dropping 1500 meters near the beginning, is 2.5 terawatts, a 2MT bomb per hour.

Regulating all this is inertia, not friction. Instantaneously remove a dam, and a wall of water does not flow immediately; the pressure difference accelerates the water, from slow to faster to FAST. The pressure difference gradually spreads out along the length the channel, the same amount of momentum change occurs, but it is spread out over a larger volume. The velocity keeps increasing until the pressure gradient is zero, and only starts slowing down when filled basin gets higher than the source basin, creating back pressure. For massive volumes like the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, the rampup may take weeks, and the stopping (after the basin is on average filled) may take weeks, too. Water 1000km out in the Atlantic is still moving towards Gibraltar after the Med is full, and will keep moving until back pressure (caused by water higher than mean sea level) in front of it slows it down again.

In the beginning, the time currently being portrayed in the OTC, the accumulation of water is square law for a fixed dimension Gibraltar gap, perhaps cube law if the gap is eroding wider and deeper. The water isn't spreading uniformly as you might expect, momentum sends it faster eastward than it veers north and south. Perhaps a few hours of advantage for Megball and their homies.

I doubt that GLR has done the hydrodynamics himself (he might have run some existing numerical code), but I'm guessing he's found the numerical simulations of the Zanclean Flood and is turning those abstract teraton water models into dramatic spectacle. Someone with more research or detective time might find out who he talked to or what research papers he might have read.

People die in tsunamis and flash floods partly because their inner "water flow calculator" is calibrated for small scale viscous flow, not the inertia movements of huge masses of water. So you have to do the calculations and think about conservation of energy and momentum, and the relatively narrow zones where the energy can slowly dissipate into the rock and the sky. I doubt Cuegan or their people will do these calculations.

(edit) Miswritten "Pacific" replaced with "Mediterranean". Actual oceans can remain in place, no need to panic!
Last edited by keithl on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

tavella wrote:That ... sounds like a prefix for Megan losing her footing. The one good thing is that the current will sweep her and the bag towards shallower waters, rather than suck her out deeper, so she should be able to recover her footing. Hopefully she won't lose the bag with the maps, though.

The current is strong, you never know what's coming with the water. It is not about swimming (which is probably difficult enough if you had only megasalted water for practice), it is about having luck not getting your head hit by a piece of hard flotsam, about not rendering your legs useless while the current hauls you over something you knew as your favourite stone bench to sit on. And if the current pulls you over a drop of several meters, the hurting finally ends.ooc

I'm glad that they made it. :)

oocEntirely out of context: My martial arts trainer said once: "HB, if it hurts, you don't have problems. Your problems start the moment you don't hurt anymore." I believe him to be right. I am happy with hurting. Well, this can be misunder.... you know what I mean.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:21 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:Are those "!" aggregates of 40 people found? Or are we witnessing, as has been suggested, a even newer orthography? I do hope it is just Cuegan's people expressing excitement or relief, and not "!!!!!" "Where the hell have you two been!!?"

Ah. Perhaps !!!!! is the Unglish form of our ch*rp. That would be funny...even though I think it's more likely to be surprise/a cry for help than anger at Cuegan. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Re: Random musings

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

keithl wrote:The Gibraltar gap is NOT A BATHTUB and NOT A RIVER.

[long text I actually read and found very interesting. If you skipped it - reconsider]

I doubt Cuegan or their people will do these calculations.

Ehrm... so if the barrier opens up fast enough you do expect ....

Code: Select all

s/Château d'If/Château d'Eau/g
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

This seems interesting. Would love to see more of the sequence at 1:22, though...
Go Minim go!

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Are those "!" aggregates of 40 people found? Or are we witnessing, as has been suggested, a even newer orthography? I do hope it is just Cuegan's people expressing excitement or relief, and not "!!!!!" "Where the hell have you two been!!?"

Ah. Perhaps !!!!! is the Unglish form of our ch*rp. That would be funny...even though I think it's more likely to be surprise/a cry for help than anger at Cuegan. :)

Maybe they're all related to Woodstock from "Peanuts"?
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

Predictions on what Cueganites might look like? Will most of them wear La Petite hats much as Beanies favor beanies?
Lost forever in time...

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

Just to state the obvious: Contrary to previous speculation, I don't think there will be any problem getting the forty to leave... :shock:
*Insert witty comment*

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

It all makes sense now!
!!!!!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:38 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
prof. dr. charlie_grumbles, on NP double-lost, wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:BTW, can you please declare that pizza > cake? :D
--snip seaish slice--

-- snip disclaimer about pizza and pizza --
But yes, some pizza > some cake.
∃ pizza ∧ ∃ cake s.t. pizza > cake.

That's trivial. But does ∃ pizza s.t. ∀ cake pizza > cake? Or is it the case that ∀ pizza ∃ cake s.t. cake>=pizza? Hmm? And what if pizza or cake happen to be still in the oven at the time? These things are not to be taken lightly. Raptorsharks may lurk there.

Standing by my original. Yours are both false, in my view. But of course it depends entirely on the depth of the sill and the salinity of the current Mediterranean.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

keithl

Postby keithl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

While I wrote that last bolus of crapulence about water inertia, I got way behind on the OTT. So what does !!!!! in 2030geekwagon mean?

In the eyes of the 40, Megball have been slacking for days, not coming home for dinner, stealing building materials, and leaving a non-productive sandcastle, while the rest of the 40 are making tents and tortillas and tradable salt and whatever else they do to survive in this hot sparse salt-flat. The leaders will Not Be Amused, and unlikely to believe a cockamamie story about giant floods and distant castles with librarians in them. They are more likely to believe that Cueball vandalized the Great Faucet, then seduced Meghan. They will be testing hymens, not salinity. The only thing more persistent than petatons of moving water is a perjorative judgement by the powerful.

So the REAL question is what Megball will do to change people's minds. The maps might help. Let's hope they weren't damaged by water, and the bosses understand what the maps mean. Most non-Westerners don't.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

I think the slurry of "fresh" flooding water Cuegan just crossed might help their cause. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

hunjoh wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
hunjoh wrote:A simple upper estimate would be twice the salinity of the Atlantic. If one started with normal seawater, evaporated most of the water but still have all of the salt in solution, you would have a Med's worth of salt. Then add the Atlantic back in and you'd have twice the salinity.

In reality, I think it would be less than that. We are speculating that some of the salt has been deposited as salt beds, and those aren't going to dissolve back into solution immediately. Also, the sea water would like float on top of the hyper-saline water. So they are likely to experience regular old seawater...

Actually, it should be, at equilibrium, more saline than it is now (IRL) and the current Med is more saline than the Atlantic. But it depends quite a lot on how "frisky" the inflow is. If it tears up the salt deposits there and causes a lot of mixing, then we would expect a lot of it dissolving. If it is gentle, then not so much. But it is likely to be chaotic. Expect the force of the water to go down to bedrock in many places.

And it isn't just the salinity of their sea. It is the wide extent of the salt beds.
We know the answer at equilibrium, the salinity of the Med today. :D

But what are Cuegan experiencing as they wade across? I'd guess it is just Atlantic sea water that has floated over all of that brine. We know that Cuegan have just described it as "...Fresh! Not as fresh as a river, but too fresh to float on-" So short of them pulling out a hydrometer/salinometer and reading us the results, I think normal seawater is a good estimate. :)

Spoiler:
The water rushing in is going to tear up the seabed up by Gibraltar, above the levels of the salt pans. I believe that I read that the sediment from that "incision" event settled over the salt, effectively sealing it in. In any event we know that the salt from the Messinian Salinity Crisis is still at the bottom of the Med. It never dissolved back into the water. So I don't see that happening this time either.

Here is a question that I have been wondering about. The salt deposit at the bottom of the Med is 50 times the amount of salt in waters of the Mediterranean. If that salt never got trapped, how much saltier would the oceans of the world be?

Actually not the same as today. In 10k years the Atlantic will be more saline than today, and the salt it the med basin hasn't gone anywhere. Please give a reference for "sealing the salt". It doesn't seem possible. In particular I wouldn't think there was enough mass of rock, etc to do it. Salt is pretty soluble.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

:-)
Maybe The Forty (and Woodstock) speak a Khoisan language.
Wikipedia wrote:In Khoisan languages, and the International Phonetic Alphabet, the exclamation mark is used as a letter to indicate the postalveolar click sound (represented as q in Zulu orthography).
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

EraObserver wrote:Just to state the obvious: Contrary to previous speculation, I don't think there will be any problem getting the forty to leave... :shock:

I never thought there would be. The sea has risen to a level unprecedented in their lifetimes, and shows no sign of stopping. They'll just be glad to hear it's eventually going to stop at all, even if it is a mile above everything they've ever known.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Just for reference:

.1 mm per second rise (which is probably slower than, or close to, what Megan is seeing now) is about 8.6 meters/day. (Filling the Med. in about a year.)
1 mm per second rise (which is probably faster than what Megan is seeing now) is about 86 meters/day. (Filling in about a month.)
1 cm per second rise is 860 meters/day. (Filling in about 3 days).

The flow through the straits must already be spectacular, but it's not to the point yet where it will fill the basin in "days." That could start changing very rapidly, though, literally any second.

On the bottomland, a 1 cm/sec rise could easily result in a 1 m/sec advance of the edge of the water (though most frames have shown a steeper rise than that). That's just a walking pace, as long as there's an uphill (even slightly uphill) escape route. So, as long as the rise remains as smooth as it's been so far, the only real danger is getting trapped at a local peak or by being immobilized for any reason. The greater danger is in potential "friskiness" (such as larger waves, possibly much larger, sweeping through causing local rises of tens of meters per minute, or perhaps hundreds of meters per second), and that's the danger the Forty wouldn't be expecting. ("Hey Cueball, Megan. Welcome back. Can you believe this flood? We're just going to keep walking slowly in front of it until it stops.")
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

Personally, I think that !!!!! is a way to render people's whistles, hoots, jumping up and down, and waving their arms. It's a nonverbal "HEY, OVER HERE!"

(Nine [heresy]minutes[/heresy] before I find out I'm wrong.)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

From newpage 1145:
Hi, sheldonv, good time to firstpost!
sheldonv wrote:It's an Atlantis story!!
Atlantis Redux :D
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Blindpost

nerdsniped wrote:
Spoiler:
pkcommando wrote:Image
Stay on target...

Cueball, you've switched off your targeting computer!

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Whew, Image'd...
(Every time I hit the next page button, I was praying to the GLR that not another NP had been added... In the beginning, this almost always happenen, later it slowed down, thank the GLR.)
I couldn't bring myself to not watch the OTC in real time, though, it was way too exciting. (I thought quicksand (quicksalt?), when I posted in panic.)

I'm now in the "randall thought it out (but didn't necessarily, actually, probably didn't, create it all) in advance” camp. There's too much to be a coincidence, like the tasting of the sea water, the floating in their sea and not being able to swim in rivers. Many of y'all got it much quicker than I did, but I'm now in your camp too.

A few selected replies. Sorry, can't reply to everything that deserves one...

@dm214: welcome to the OTT. However, I'm pretty sure you're a reincarnation of a well-known recently-departed OTTer; I'm surprised that nonody seems to have noticed yet. (And "hello" back to Michael.)

@chem1190c: very ⁴ animations!

@ucim: yay, new Acts. In fact, a new Act. ⁷terful, as always!

@BlitzGirl: welcome back (again), and thanks for your wise words.
I hope you've seen yappo's latest ottification? I haven't seen you respond, but maybe you're just stunned. Image

@42 guests: I loved your saltcastle experiments!

@Valarya: yes, I'll need to add at least one new footnote, to my personal-but-definitely-not-official-because-we-hate-standards standard. Will do so later. Fresh will certainly go in, good (bag) probably too. (Then there's strong, deep, shallow (enough), but I think I'll skip those. Way too many adjectives in recent newpix, why can't they just stick with ‘neat’? Image )
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

Frame #2965 had a couple of !!! as well. There it was used as realization of the stolen maps by Cueball.

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:Personally, I think that !!!!! is a way to render people's whistles, hoots, jumping up and down, and waving their arms. It's a nonverbal "HEY, OVER HERE!"

(Nine [heresy]minutes[/heresy] before I find out I'm wrong.)

This was my thought also - if the people are only just in sight, they're probably still a bit too far away to make out individual words anyway.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Blindpost

nerdsniped wrote:
Spoiler:
pkcommando wrote:Image
Stay on target...

Cueball, you've switched off your targeting computer!

You're all clear, kid. Now let's plug this berm and go home!
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Random/Last Minute/Totally Wrong Speculation:

It turns out to be the (now very angry) Beanies and somehow Cuegan's come in a big circle.

Hairdo: We'd like our maps back, now.
Cuball: Dafuq?

asmodai

Postby asmodai » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:
taixzo wrote:I think leather is unlikely - there don't seem to be any large molpies down near the (current) sea level; they'd have to go all the way up the mountain to hunt one down. And moolpies are out of the question, unless there is grass they can eat that grows on salt flats.

Cuegan's people don't make their own stuff. They get their stuff in two ways:

A) They grab whatever floats down the river from the hill people
B) They are thought to be salt miners who barter for other goods

But they have tents! That must be some serious river waste to provide materials enough to make full tents for 40, which'd have to be at least REASONABLY water-repellant. I like the nomadic idea--that they trade or hunt in other lands.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

GreetONG!

ETA: pretty sure we're not going to get anyone's name.
ETA2: 6 Cueganites, I don't think LaPetite is one of them. But who know how many are behind them? (Hopefully, 30+.)
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

I spy some hats! :D

mscha wrote:@BlitzGirl: welcome back (again), and thanks for your wise words.
I hope you've seen yappo's latest ottification? I haven't seen you respond, but maybe you're just stunned. Image

Yes, that's in my next scheduled ketchup batch. :wink: Thanks for holding down the thread while I've been away!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Is that La Petite yelling? :shock:
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I spy some hats! :D

mscha wrote:@BlitzGirl: welcome back (again), and thanks for your wise words.

Yes, that's in my next scheduled ketchup batch. :wink: Thanks for holding down the thread while I've been away!

I'm afraid I did a pretty lousy job, though. Sorry... Image

ETA:
Pikrass wrote:Is that La Petite yelling? :shock:

I doubt it, she's much shorter than Cuegan, and (as far as you can tell) these figures aren't.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

They all have bags! That's a start anyhow, as long as it's all of them and not just a "scouting party" or something.

And Megan wastes no time! I'd call this frame zero for "how long does it take to convince them to run for the mountains" pool purposes. Now we'll soon (relatively speaking) see.
Last edited by Rule110 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”