1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NetWeasel

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

Ketchup Post! Just wow...
Rule110 wrote:what about Naomi?

I thought I was the last one to remember that!

Also, since everyone else has done one, here's my embiggering of the new people:
Spoiler:

Are those maybe actual sunglasses?
Redundant
Spoiler:
newpeople.png
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:Not a hat, a bun of hair, definitely not La Petite, and hmmm, not all of the 40 are there, so not clear that everyone is safe yet.

Hair style could indicate advanced age - Granny's the herd stallionmatriarch?

EDIT: Papal decree: DON'T PANIC. All will be wella,b

aIf not in this life, then in the next.
bIf not for us, then for someone else.
Last edited by higgs-boson on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Pikrass wrote:Anyway it doesn't look like a béret. More like a policeman hat, in fact.

Officer's hat was my first thought as well. Image Here, let me smush mscha's images together just for fun:

The hat that the "officer" is wearing seems to have sharper angles than LaPetite's, and I find it difficult to believe that GLR would make such an egregious size-mustard. Hopefully we get to zoom in again some TIme soon; I'd like to see the Forty up close. :)

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Keywords: BGUM officer hat police policeman lapetite la petite megan size comparison six forty embiggen enlarge enhance
TheOfficer.png

redundant43.png

Err, is it just me, or is everyone else ignoring that the "officer" has a beard? Unlikely that LaPetite could have grown one in the week or so Cuegan were away.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Since this group all have backpacks, I'm going to guess that they made a somewhat orderly departure, and therefore, the ones who are here are the ones who have felt a danger from the rising sea, and the ones who aren't here are the ones who didn't think they needed to leave, and are back home. Whether they're already stranded or gone, or just need some persuasion is a different story.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Err, is it just me, or is everyone else ignoring that the "officer" has a beard? Unlikely that LaPetite could have grown one in the week or so Cuegan were away.

I think that's actually the arm of the "matron" character that you're seeing (check the latest newpix).
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Very rough embiggening, (about 5x normal) which is also compressed, width-wise. Cuegan is on the far right.
Spoiler:

Redundant:

Keywords: BGUM Forty people six embiggen enlarge enhance enlargement size comparison Cuegan
TheSix.png

OK, so which one is me, and which one is Prof. Grumbles? :)

Edited to fix nested spoilers. sorry 'bout that
Last edited by cellocgw on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
hunjoh wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
hunjoh wrote:A simple upper estimate would be twice the salinity of the Atlantic. If one started with normal seawater, evaporated most of the water but still have all of the salt in solution, you would have a Med's worth of salt. Then add the Atlantic back in and you'd have twice the salinity.

In reality, I think it would be less than that. We are speculating that some of the salt has been deposited as salt beds, and those aren't going to dissolve back into solution immediately. Also, the sea water would like float on top of the hyper-saline water. So they are likely to experience regular old seawater...

Actually, it should be, at equilibrium, more saline than it is now (IRL) and the current Med is more saline than the Atlantic. But it depends quite a lot on how "frisky" the inflow is. If it tears up the salt deposits there and causes a lot of mixing, then we would expect a lot of it dissolving. If it is gentle, then not so much. But it is likely to be chaotic. Expect the force of the water to go down to bedrock in many places.

And it isn't just the salinity of their sea. It is the wide extent of the salt beds.
We know the answer at equilibrium, the salinity of the Med today. :D

But what are Cuegan experiencing as they wade across? I'd guess it is just Atlantic sea water that has floated over all of that brine. We know that Cuegan have just described it as "...Fresh! Not as fresh as a river, but too fresh to float on-" So short of them pulling out a hydrometer/salinometer and reading us the results, I think normal seawater is a good estimate. :)

Spoiler:
The water rushing in is going to tear up the seabed up by Gibraltar, above the levels of the salt pans. I believe that I read that the sediment from that "incision" event settled over the salt, effectively sealing it in. In any event we know that the salt from the Messinian Salinity Crisis is still at the bottom of the Med. It never dissolved back into the water. So I don't see that happening this time either.

Here is a question that I have been wondering about. The salt deposit at the bottom of the Med is 50 times the amount of salt in waters of the Mediterranean. If that salt never got trapped, how much saltier would the oceans of the world be?

Actually not the same as today. In 10k years the Atlantic will be more saline than today, and the salt it the med basin hasn't gone anywhere. Please give a reference for "sealing the salt". It doesn't seem possible. In particular I wouldn't think there was enough mass of rock, etc to do it. Salt is pretty soluble.

There is a lot of salt and other evaporites sealed up at the bottom of the Mediterranean. Current estimates are that the salt in these deposits is greater than 50 times the amount of salt in the Mediterranean Sea. These deposits are layered with layers of evaporites capped by layers of fine mud. Taken together this indicates that the Med went through many cycles of drying and flooding, where the flooding laid down a layer of mud over the evaporites, and the evaporites did not dissolve back into the flood water.

Reference:
Spoiler:
From the Wikipedia article on the Messinian Salinity Crisis:

The amount of Messinian salts is larger than 4·1018 kg (Ryan, 2008, Sedimentology), exceeding by a factor of 50 the amount of salt normally contained in the Mediterranean waters. This suggests either a succession of desiccations or a long period of hypersalinity during which incoming water from the Atlantic Ocean was evaporated with the level of the Mediterranean brine being similar to that of the Atlantic.[16] The nature of the strata points strongly to several cycles of the Mediterranean Sea completely drying and being refilled,[citation needed] with drying periods correlating to periods of cooler global temperature; which were therefore drier in the Mediterranean region.[citation needed] Each refilling was presumably caused by a seawater inlet opening, either tectonically, or by a river flowing eastwards below sea level into the "Mediterranean Sink" cutting its valley head back west until it let the sea in, similarly to a river capture. The last refilling was at the Miocene/Pliocene boundary, when the Strait of Gibraltar broke wide open permanently.[15] Upon closely examining the Hole 124 core, Kenneth J. Hsu found that:

The oldest sediment of each cycle was either deposited in a deep sea or in a great brackish lake. The fine sediments deposited on a quiet or deep bottom had perfectly even lamination. As the basin was drying up and the water depth decreased, lamination became more irregular on account of increasing wave agitation. Stromatolite was formed then, when the site of deposition fell within an intertidal zone. The intertidal flat was eventually exposed by the final desiccation, at which time anhydrite was precipitated by saline ground water underlying sabkhas. Suddenly seawater would spill over the Strait of Gibraltar, or there would be an unusual influx of brackish water from the eastern European lake. The Balearic abyssal plain would then again be under water. The chicken-wire anhydrite would thus be abruptly buried under the fine muds brought in by the next deluge.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Ketchup Post! Just wow...

I had to Google it, but then it all came back. One of the great pleasures of parenthood is getting to show that series to your kids.

If only Letterman1 were here -- he'd turn that FLOOD into...
Spoiler:
Uh, I got nothin'. BLOOD would not be an improvement.
1 No, not that Letterman.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:EDIT: Papal decree: DON'T PANIC. All will be wella,b
aIf not in this life, then in the next.
bIf not for us, then for someone else.

Awww I missed the panic while ketchupping?
Can't we have a little panic?
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

you're back

I think the 40 knew where Cuegan had gone. they probably explained to the forty about the rising sea and proposed to the forty the idea of going on a mission to find out why.

I'm sure they will immediately take the advice from Cuegan without objection.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:

I had to Google it, but then it all came back. One of the great pleasures of parenthood is getting to show that series to your kids.

Spoiler:

Taking the F from his varsity sweater, he'd turn that water into a wafer?

"It's the plumber... I've come to fix the dam."
Last edited by NetWeasel on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Mustard report, or more accurately, non-mustard report.

I ran my re-download-and-compare-all-frames-of-Time script overnix, and it found 13 frames that had been changed: 2842 to 2852, 2863 and 2864.
However, in all these cases, the images are pixel-for-pixel identical to the original version, so any changes are in the metadata. I had a closer look at the first one, and it appears only one byte changed:

Code: Select all

data.NEW/xkcd_time_20130716_1300.png data/xkcd_time_20130716_1300.png differ: byte 36, line 3 is   2 ^B   0 ^@

I don't know what that byte means, though.
I'm not gonna check further, but if someone finds it necessary to do so, on my viewer page (linked above) you can download both the original and the current version of these frames.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

gga2

Postby gga2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

Predictions:

40: They went on ahead - we've been searching for you!
CG: Yeah - We, uh, saw the sea rise and had to find out what happened. It took a while.
40: Why is the sea rising?
CG: No time to explain. We have to go into the hills - We have maps. How far are [the other 40]?
40: They left when the water reached us yesterday.

[RUN.]

[Cuegan see's the raised water level ahead, and remnants of raft building materials]
CG: Uh oh.

[Alt-text changes to FASTER!]

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Thanks for bumping this, Major, I'd missed it. :)
Discussion on directionalism in film:
Spoiler:
Scorbut wrote:Hi all !

For my first post here, I will probably miss a lot of things and insult most of the traditions that seem to be running on the OTT. For my defense, I didn't started reading it since the beginning (even though I'm following the OTC since - almost - the beginning), so I'm not sure if there is something I should do about ketchup, or a cake, or a papal decree, or anything. I just wanted to answer to this :

BlitzGirl wrote: This reminds me of something I learned in one of my classes, though I can't for the life of me remember which class, or even what yip I learned it. In cultures that read left-to-right, there is a tendency to give objects traveling left-to-right across a field of view more positive associations: moving forward, progressing, heading the correct way. Objects moving right-to-left, or against-the-grain, are more apt to be viewed with suspicion or a sense of wrongness.

Filmmakers sometimes take advantage of this bias in the movement of characters and play that off of the plot. Heroes will more often enter from the left side of the frame and move right. A character that travels right-to-left across the frame, with the against-the-grain eeriness, creates a subconscious tension in the minds of the viewing audience.

I have a sneaking suspicion that GLR knows this theory. I also have a sneaking suspicion that there is a real name for this phenomenon, but I have forgotten it if ever I learned it.

The question interested me, so I did a quick research, and found that : "The effect of left-right reversal on film: Watching Kurosawa reversed" in the journal i-perception (I can't put the adress here, seems to cause my message to be considered as a spam).

This is a paper published in 2011, as far as I understand, talking about having people looking at mirror-reversed films, and trying to see what happens. I just had a quick glance inside the paper, and if the idea is interesting, the statistics seem to be quite weak (but, well, the idea is interesting - it was probably worth doing it). Nevertheless, the authors do not seem to be aware to the theory you are referring to (the left-to-right vs right-to-left movements), and it actually sounds like more of a legend about psychology of people looking at movies than an actual true phenomenon. Do you think you could try to remember some more information about that to see if we are able to find a more precise description of it ?

I've tried, but I can't for the life of me remember it - I just have a hazy recollection of a university class discussion where a professor brought the subject up. "Legend" may very well be a more accurate description, for all that I can recall, though I'm fairly certain it was presented to me as a known theory rather than idle speculation (which, of course, could have been the doing of the professor). I no longer have the access to articles that I used to, but based on some searching, I think the most relevant text might be: [Gaffron M. “Left and right in pictures” Art Quarterly. 1950;13:312–321] which I noticed in the bibliography of a related article. The abstract for this article also seems relevant. This full-text PDF article, also about static images, sounds interesting. But for some reason, I keep on thinking that it was a phenomenon in actual film rather than static pictures. Since the current evidence doesn't back that up, I'm probably mistaken.

Anybody up for an extensive directional-biases-in-film study? :wink:

Back to the OTC: it bothers me a little (okay, a lot) that the group that we saw last newpix only has one maybe-child person in it, and Megan specifically mentioned at least "a few kids" earlier. Where are they?
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Also, since everyone else has done one, here's my embiggering of the new people:
Spoiler:

If only that were true...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Just off yet another call today. I return and nearly shouted "Yes!" when I saw Cuegan running towards familiar faces. This is all so exciting! Yet I know that in less than a np I shall be missing all the action again. This evenix will make for some very exciting (spicy?) ketchup! :D
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Back to the OTC: it bothers me a little (okay, a lot) that the group that we saw last newpix only has one maybe-child person in it, and Megan specifically mentioned at least "a few kids" earlier. Where are they?

Well, they were spread out across the entire frame; it's entirely likely that there are more than six of them in the group. Although, apparently, they're not the entire group, if we're (and they're) lucky it's most of them.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:

Spoiler:

Taking the F from his varsity sweater, he'd turn that water into a wafer?

"It's the plumber... I've come to fix the dam."

He could change the FLOOD into FLOYD. Not sure if that would improve matters though.

"You live by a deep salt lake
And the berm's about to break
How do you run away so you won't die?
Immediately, immediately, immediate-L-Y!"
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Mustard report, or more accurately, non-mustard report.

I ran my re-download-and-compare-all-frames-of-Time script overnix, and it found 13 frames that had been changed: 2842 to 2852, 2863 and 2864.
However, in all these cases, the images are pixel-for-pixel identical to the original version, so any changes are in the metadata. I had a closer look at the first one, and it appears only one byte changed:

data.NEW/xkcd_time_20130716_1300.png data/xkcd_time_20130716_1300.png differ: byte 36, line 3 is   2 ^B   0 ^@

I'm not gonna check further, but if someone finds it necessary to do so, on my viewer page (linked above) you can download both the original and the current version of these frames.

This tool may be useful in the future: http://sng.sourceforge.net/sng.html

I'm not in a position to run it right now.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Back to the OTC: it bothers me a little (okay, a lot) that the group that we saw last newpix only has one maybe-child person in it, and Megan specifically mentioned at least "a few kids" earlier. Where are they?

Maybe these six are a search party for Cuegan, and the rest are already at higher ground. (Though probably not yet high-enough ground.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

A thought: the terse one-word response "Everything?" is very Cueganesqe (and XKCDesque in general). Somehow I don't think Megan and Cueball will have much trouble coming to a meeting of minds with the rest of the group. (The question now is whether they can come to a meeting, period.)
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

DangerONG

It seems like Cueganites are not much versed in making stuff.

EDIT: URL fixed. I don't know how on Earth it got borked in the first place.
Last edited by Gedeon on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:19 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

hunjoh

Re: Random musings

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

keithl wrote:The Gibraltar gap is NOT A BATHTUB and NOT A RIVER. It is shorter than a river, much wider, and much deeper, and the basins it connects are vastly larger than bathtubs and lakes.

Spoiler:
The Mediterranean is an average of 1.5 kilometers deep, not 500 ft = 0.15 kilometers deep ; let's assume that is a typo in your source. But let's use your assumptions of a water channel 7.7mi = 12.4km wide and 1/8mi = 200 m high. We don't know the actual conditions at this future time ( assumed 12K years in the future?) so the blockage could be geological or man-made. An example of a geological blockage would be a Really Big Earthquake that dropped Gibraltar and some of the Rif mountains into the strait - the Bonneville Slide creating the Bridge of the Gods 900 years ago is a precedent. So are the ice dams that created the the Missoula Floods. A volcano could also fill the gap with boulders and sand (most mountains in the northwest, like the small mountain I'm on right now, are giant sand piles, not solidified lava).

Meanwhile, the Niagara river is less than a meter high when it goes over the falls, and the combination of the three falls is about 1.1 km wide. The river feeding the falls runs downhill a meter or two over about 40km from Lake Erie - the speed limit is set by viscosity for this shallow river. If the water was 200 times deeper, the currents at the top would be 200 times faster, and the total flow would be 40,000 times greater. 440,000 times greater with a gap 11 times wider. Of course, the Niagara doesn't do that, because the Great Lakes Basin doesn't produce that much water. The Atlantic has a wee bit more water available.

The Gibraltar channel from Atlantic to Pacific is about 30km long, and the falloff is steep and wide at both sides. The channel will slow the flow, but with a critically important difference - the Atlantic is infinite, compared to Lake Erie, and when the water gets moving towards the gap, it will build up kinetic energy that either stays kinetic energy or turns into potential energy (bulging up). The main frictional effects are from the vast jumble of house-sized boulders smashing along faster than bullet trains near the bottom. The Zanclean flood moved water at 300km per hour, through what is depicted in illustrations as a much longer and narrower channel. So the OTC flood will be at least that fast, possibly faster. The OTC flood might move 10 cubic kilometers of water per minute when the flow eventually gets up to speed, increasing in volume as it cuts a deeper and wider channel through Gibraltar. That is 90,000 times Niagara's 110,000 cubic meters per minute. The power generated by a 10 km3/min OTC flood, dropping 1500 meters near the beginning, is 2.5 terawatts, a 2MT bomb per hour.

Regulating all this is inertia, not friction. Instantaneously remove a dam, and a wall of water does not flow immediately; the pressure difference accelerates the water, from slow to faster to FAST. The pressure difference gradually spreads out along the length the channel, the same amount of momentum change occurs, but it is spread out over a larger volume. The velocity keeps increasing until the pressure gradient is zero, and only starts slowing down when filled basin gets higher than the source basin, creating back pressure. For massive volumes like the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, the rampup may take weeks, and the stopping (after the basin is on average filled) may take weeks, too. Water 1000km out in the Atlantic is still moving towards Gibraltar after the Med is full, and will keep moving until back pressure (caused by water higher than mean sea level) in front of it slows it down again.

In the beginning, the time currently being portrayed in the OTC, the accumulation of water is square law for a fixed dimension Gibraltar gap, perhaps cube law if the gap is eroding wider and deeper. The water isn't spreading uniformly as you might expect, momentum sends it faster eastward than it veers north and south. Perhaps a few hours of advantage for Megball and their homies.

I doubt that GLR has done the hydrodynamics himself (he might have run some existing numerical code), but I'm guessing he's found the numerical simulations of the Zanclean Flood and is turning those abstract teraton water models into dramatic spectacle. Someone with more research or detective time might find out who he talked to or what research papers he might have read.

People die in tsunamis and flash floods partly because their inner "water flow calculator" is calibrated for small scale viscous flow, not the inertia movements of huge masses of water. So you have to do the calculations and think about conservation of energy and momentum, and the relatively narrow zones where the energy can slowly dissipate into the rock and the sky. I doubt Cuegan or their people will do these calculations.

Steven N. Ward, a research geophysicist at UC Santa Cruz, has recently posted a video of his simulation of the refilling of the Mediterranean basin. http://www.openhazards.com/blogs/steve/dry-sea

At 2:23 in his video he states that "...it was like filling an Olympic-size swimming pool with a garden hose." His video of the simulation does not appear show the inertial effects you describe. It appears that the volume of the Mediterranean basin is just too large in proportion to the size of the Straight of Gibraltar for those effects to occur. (Given that one of his academic specialties appears to be modelling tsunamis, I doubt that he neglected the inertial effects.)

He has a YouTube video where he does the same simulation with the San Francisco Bay, starting with it empty and then letting it fill from the sea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gILvSF0NXo At 1:03 and again (more clearly) at 1:35 he shows the effect you mention of water far out to sea being effected by the sudden breach. Very interesting.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Uh-oh...looks like the Forty might be validating those "stranded-on-the-hills" theories right about now...

Also, the tall-Cueball look-alike actually has hair! A buzzcut?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

This one wrote itself. Thanks to y'all for posting all the non-ottified versions of this song.

Wade in the Water
based on the eponymous song performed by many people, such as Eva Cassidy
Spoiler:
Wade in the water
Wade in the water
Cuegan wades, in the water
Randall will trouble the water
Where's that young girl with a beret
Wade in the water
Must be the children that Cuegan led

[Chorus:]
Wade in the water, wade in the water people
Wade in the water,

Who's that guy whose hat is white
Wade in the water
Must be the people of the Cueganite
Oh, Randall will trouble the water

Who's that young man looks like Cue
Wade in the water
Must be the Cueganites coming through,
Randall will trouble the water, yeah

You don't believe our sea is doomed,
Wade in the water
Just wait for the ocean to flow into

Edited to fix small heresy. Thanks, ZoomanSP!
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

Gedeon wrote:DangerONG

Spoiler:

I take this to mean the Forty are a scavenging tribe. If they were constantly on the move, it's no wonder the Beanies didn't find them to warn them of the flood.

Also: I've got a bad feeling about this. The Forty are split and now Cuegan are going to have to do twice as much RUNning to save them all.

The tension is rising faster than the sea!
Last edited by neopifex on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

Prediction (ninja'd by the ONG, but still valid): they find most of the forty. However, for one reason or other, there are three or four that either are unaccounted for, or cannot travel.
How much extra time will they take to either search for the missing ones, or to (for example) build a sedan chair for the injured? Or maybe will they abandon those people to the flood?

hunjoh wrote:[Steven N. Ward's] video of the simulation does not appear show the inertial effects you describe. It appears that the volume of the Mediterranean basin is just too large in proportion to the size of the Straight of Gibraltar for those effects to occur.
How big does he envision the opening getting? If we posit some sort of collapse, perhaps the opening gets bigger than he thought.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Uh-oh...looks like the Forty might be validating those "stranded-on-the-hills" theories right about now...

Also, the tall-Cueball look-alike actually has hair! A buzzcut?

He reminds me slightly of Nathan Fillion in this xkcd.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Ketchup time:

jovialbard wrote:
Latent22 wrote: OTVO Voting Time!
Vote for your favorite Cuegen Combination.
Results will be posted Here

I just wanted to add that it's fun to open up several and play them all at once, echo echo echo

Wow, that sounds like a bunch of people arguing in a pub.

m3013:
Spoiler:
This frame reminded me of the Bag Puns that took over OTT in ancient times, namely this one:
The Good, the Bag and The Ugly.
Although it turns out that The Good and The Bag is one character. :)

mscha wrote:Mustard report, or more accurately, non-mustard report.
Spoiler:

Probably just some random cosmic rays changed those bits. We are lucky it was just metadata of the picture and not FTL coordinates...
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Random thought, but it came to me while thinking about the fleeing hill people. Grape's grow best at a certain temperature, according to Wikipedia, 22 degrees Celsius in the summer. If we assume that the grapevine grapevines they passed were in this kind of climate (after all, they chose to plant them there and not higher up or further down), what kind of climate does that imply for Cuegan's (now flooded) home, based on elevation differences?
Lost forever in time...

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

"Oh, no" is right. Pix #4. Looks my my 5-pix prediction was over-optimistic.

Maybe Cuegan can split up? One of them guides this group; one goes after the other group?
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Spoiler:
XONGU...

-- posted by newpixbot

Retrofixninja'd by Gedeon.
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:"Oh, no" is right. Pix #4. Looks my my 5-pix prediction was over-optimistic.

Maybe Cuegan can split up? One of them guides this group; one goes after the other group?

Don't split the party! Never split the party!

eta: once again newpixbot reveals a faultong
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

mscha wrote:XONGU...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

Now there's a problem I don't think anyone here anticipated. (And when I said that aloud, my daughter, across the room, immediately said, "Oh, great, they've got a pregnant woman with them.")

I don't think we've been thinking far enough outside the box when it comes to "How can this possibly get more complicated?"

EDIT: Never mind; it's been fixed.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Don't split the party! Never split the party!

The party's already been split. And the only imminent threat is the flood itself - the most important thing is making sure all groups have the information they need to get to safety.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

Has anyone else noted the mouseover text? It says, "RUN."

*EDIT*
It appears so. I stopped watching a while ago and haven't read the previous 500+ pages of this topic.
Last edited by free-bee on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Prediction (ninja'd by the ONG, but still valid): they find most of the forty. However, for one reason or other, there are three or four that either are unaccounted for, or cannot travel.
How much extra time will they take to either search for the missing ones, or to (for example) build a sedan chair for the injured? Or maybe will they abandon those people to the flood?

hunjoh wrote:[Steven N. Ward's] video of the simulation does not appear show the inertial effects you describe. It appears that the volume of the Mediterranean basin is just too large in proportion to the size of the Straight of Gibraltar for those effects to occur.
How big does he envision the opening getting? If we posit some sort of collapse, perhaps the opening gets bigger than he thought.

Jose

I don't know. From watching the video it seems to me that you would need to enlarge the opening by at least a couple orders of magnitude to make the water in the basin slosh around.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:Also: I've got a bad feeling about this. The Forty are split and now Cuegan are going to have to do twice as much RUNning to save them all.
Maybe it's time to build a boat. Do they have time to put a raft together and make it to a shore with a line to the mountains?

Megan wrote:... it's a good bag.
So, now we know The Bag is Good.

(do we have to re-write all our bag puns?)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
pkcommando wrote:They'll be protected by the bag. It is THAT good - keeps out water.

And if not, just apply a can of grease to it.

If that bags are some woven material (possibly like canvas) then a wax treatment would keep them water repellent for quite some time. If they are leather, and worn smooth, then same applies.

Ahem. And if not, just apply a can of grease to it.

thegreger

Postby thegreger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Also, the tall-Cueball look-alike actually has hair! A buzzcut?

If it's the pickup artist from 1027, humanity is doomed.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”