1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gedeon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Gedeon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:
Gedeon wrote:DangerONG

Spoiler:

I take this to mean the Forty are a scavenging tribe. If they were constantly on the move, it's no wonder the Beanies didn't find them to warn them of the flood.

Depending on their behaviour, I might understand why the hill people weren't quite fond of them. There is a large scavenging "tribe" in Europe that usually causes trouble wherever they settle.

maletero

Postby maletero » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

"OH, NO" indeed. You know, if they are up in the hills scavenging, perhaps they can find enough material to build a raft, or something and float to safety. I hope they can outrun the floods, instead. They really should listen to the new instructions and RUN. Go, guys! You've got to get back to the castle!

Edit: Page pope?? I'm honored1. I decree that everybody should be nice2.

1Lucky.
2Not that anybody's mean here. Just carry on being nice.
Last edited by maletero on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

hunjoh wrote:[Steven N. Ward's] video of the simulation does not appear show the inertial effects you describe. It appears that the volume of the Mediterranean basin is just too large in proportion to the size of the Straight of Gibraltar for those effects to occur.
The important part of that simulation (to the current OTC) is between 1:55 and 2:05. Cuegan's escape route is clearly shown.
Roughly northwest of where they are now.

Regardless of how much flow there is, this shows where the water goes, and when it pauses. Get up the ramp, and when the water stops rising, it ain't over, it's just paused.

ETA: More info... I think that at this moment of the OTC, they are at 1:53 or 1:54 of the simulation.
Last edited by NetWeasel on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

free-bee wrote:Has anyone else noted the mouseover text? It says, "RUN."

Oh, and there's Javascript!
Go Minim go!

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

So when LaPetite was dragging something into view at the end of the Fading, was it foreshadowing for this? Perhaps she was among the first to discover that the Hill People were gone, and to take advantage.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

Ok, did ANYONE predict that the rest of the tribe were up in the hills collecting stuff?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Image Wow, this really is the new Javascript!
(We pick apart miniscule pixel-by-pixel, or apparently byte-by-byte, changes on this 1200-page thread. We definitely noticed. :wink: )
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:

And, that's weird, I think the image just changed on xkcd.com/1190. All by itself! Didn't anyone notice??/?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

maletero

Postby maletero » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

And, that's weird, I think the image just changed on xkcd.com/1190. All by itself! Didn't anyone notice??/?

Oddly enough when I'm at worl I've heard that if I check the OTC at work, it doesn't auto update. So, hypothetically speaking, if I were to have this need to check for newpix on the hour every hour -- even at work -- I would have to press F5, Sometimes1 more than once, owing to my impatience and slow internet.

1Usually.
Last edited by maletero on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gedeon

Postby Gedeon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Don't panic. I think it might update on a regular basis... has anyone saved it???

WILD GUESS: are Cueganites Roma people of the future? They seem too white, though.
Last edited by Gedeon on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote:Ok, did ANYONE predict that the rest of the tribe were up in the hills collecting stuff?

I don't remember anyone predicting that specifically. At one point I suggested that the tribe might have split up (probably I wasn't the only one).
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 pm UTC

I've been trying for newpix to condiment to present. Whew.

Did anyone else tear up when the new girl (bunny? :mrgreen: get it?) exclaimed "You're back!" ??? Because I did. I'm so glad they've found some of the 40, and others are up in the hills (safer) anyway. Hopefully it won't take too long to get 'em moving...
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

MajorDouble7

Re: Random musings

Postby MajorDouble7 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

hunjoh wrote:
keithl wrote:The Gibraltar gap is NOT A BATHTUB and NOT A RIVER. It is shorter than a river, much wider, and much deeper, and the basins it connects are vastly larger than bathtubs and lakes.

Spoiler:
The Mediterranean is an average of 1.5 kilometers deep, not 500 ft = 0.15 kilometers deep ; let's assume that is a typo in your source. But let's use your assumptions of a water channel 7.7mi = 12.4km wide and 1/8mi = 200 m high. We don't know the actual conditions at this future time ( assumed 12K years in the future?) so the blockage could be geological or man-made. An example of a geological blockage would be a Really Big Earthquake that dropped Gibraltar and some of the Rif mountains into the strait - the Bonneville Slide creating the Bridge of the Gods 900 years ago is a precedent. So are the ice dams that created the the Missoula Floods. A volcano could also fill the gap with boulders and sand (most mountains in the northwest, like the small mountain I'm on right now, are giant sand piles, not solidified lava).

Meanwhile, the Niagara river is less than a meter high when it goes over the falls, and the combination of the three falls is about 1.1 km wide. The river feeding the falls runs downhill a meter or two over about 40km from Lake Erie - the speed limit is set by viscosity for this shallow river. If the water was 200 times deeper, the currents at the top would be 200 times faster, and the total flow would be 40,000 times greater. 440,000 times greater with a gap 11 times wider. Of course, the Niagara doesn't do that, because the Great Lakes Basin doesn't produce that much water. The Atlantic has a wee bit more water available.

The Gibraltar channel from Atlantic to Pacific is about 30km long, and the falloff is steep and wide at both sides. The channel will slow the flow, but with a critically important difference - the Atlantic is infinite, compared to Lake Erie, and when the water gets moving towards the gap, it will build up kinetic energy that either stays kinetic energy or turns into potential energy (bulging up). The main frictional effects are from the vast jumble of house-sized boulders smashing along faster than bullet trains near the bottom. The Zanclean flood moved water at 300km per hour, through what is depicted in illustrations as a much longer and narrower channel. So the OTC flood will be at least that fast, possibly faster. The OTC flood might move 10 cubic kilometers of water per minute when the flow eventually gets up to speed, increasing in volume as it cuts a deeper and wider channel through Gibraltar. That is 90,000 times Niagara's 110,000 cubic meters per minute. The power generated by a 10 km3/min OTC flood, dropping 1500 meters near the beginning, is 2.5 terawatts, a 2MT bomb per hour.

Regulating all this is inertia, not friction. Instantaneously remove a dam, and a wall of water does not flow immediately; the pressure difference accelerates the water, from slow to faster to FAST. The pressure difference gradually spreads out along the length the channel, the same amount of momentum change occurs, but it is spread out over a larger volume. The velocity keeps increasing until the pressure gradient is zero, and only starts slowing down when filled basin gets higher than the source basin, creating back pressure. For massive volumes like the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, the rampup may take weeks, and the stopping (after the basin is on average filled) may take weeks, too. Water 1000km out in the Atlantic is still moving towards Gibraltar after the Med is full, and will keep moving until back pressure (caused by water higher than mean sea level) in front of it slows it down again.

In the beginning, the time currently being portrayed in the OTC, the accumulation of water is square law for a fixed dimension Gibraltar gap, perhaps cube law if the gap is eroding wider and deeper. The water isn't spreading uniformly as you might expect, momentum sends it faster eastward than it veers north and south. Perhaps a few hours of advantage for Megball and their homies.

I doubt that GLR has done the hydrodynamics himself (he might have run some existing numerical code), but I'm guessing he's found the numerical simulations of the Zanclean Flood and is turning those abstract teraton water models into dramatic spectacle. Someone with more research or detective time might find out who he talked to or what research papers he might have read.

People die in tsunamis and flash floods partly because their inner "water flow calculator" is calibrated for small scale viscous flow, not the inertia movements of huge masses of water. So you have to do the calculations and think about conservation of energy and momentum, and the relatively narrow zones where the energy can slowly dissipate into the rock and the sky. I doubt Cuegan or their people will do these calculations.

Steven N. Ward, a research geophysicist at UC Santa Cruz, has recently posted a video of his simulation of the refilling of the Mediterranean basin. http://www.openhazards.com/blogs/steve/dry-sea

At 2:23 in his video he states that "...it was like filling an Olympic-size swimming pool with a garden hose." His video of the simulation does not appear show the inertial effects you describe. It appears that the volume of the Mediterranean basin is just too large in proportion to the size of the Straight of Gibraltar for those effects to occur. (Given that one of his academic specialties appears to be modelling tsunamis, I doubt that he neglected the inertial effects.)

He has a YouTube video where he does the same simulation with the San Francisco Bay, starting with it empty and then letting it fill from the sea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gILvSF0NXo At 1:03 and again (more clearly) at 1:35 he shows the effect you mention of water far out to sea being effected by the sudden breach. Very interesting.

That first video is 7some and quite helpful in predicting what the Cueganites are about to experience. Also, I happen to be from Santa Cruz (although currently living Cabo San Lucas, Mexico), so perhaps I'm a bit biased :wink:
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
mscha wrote:Mustard report, or more accurately, non-mustard report.

I ran my re-download-and-compare-all-frames-of-Time script overnix, and it found 13 frames that had been changed: 2842 to 2852, 2863 and 2864.
However, in all these cases, the images are pixel-for-pixel identical to the original version, so any changes are in the metadata. I had a closer look at the first one, and it appears only one byte changed:

Code: Select all

data.NEW/xkcd_time_20130716_1300.png data/xkcd_time_20130716_1300.png differ: byte 36, line 3 is   2 ^B   0 ^@

I don't know what that byte means, though.
I'm not gonna check further, but if someone finds it necessary to do so, on my viewer page (linked above) you can download both the original and the current version of these frames.

This tool may be useful in the future: http://sng.sourceforge.net/sng.html

Thanks for the tip!
I ran it on the affected images, and it turns out that in all cases, the following segment was removed:

gAMA {1.0000}

i.e. the original version explicitly set the gamma to 1.0, while the corrected version doesn't specify a gamma.
If you open, for instance, frame 2842 in Chrome, you'll see the effect: the original version is much lighter than the current xkcd version. (Firefox shows the darker one for both versions.)
(See here for TL;DR about PNG and gamma.)

So, it was a mustard fix of sorts after all...
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

Oh wow, that is a huge viewing difference on Chrome.

Valarya wrote:Did anyone else tear up when the new girl (bunny? :mrgreen: get it?)... <snip>

I like "Bunny" :) though for some reason I interpret her as having gray hair, so I probably wouldn't call her a "girl." :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Jokern

Postby Jokern » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

hunjoh wrote:
Spoiler:
content removed because i cannot post links. :(

I don't know. From watching the video it seems to me that you would need to enlarge the opening by at least a couple orders of magnitude to make the water in the basin slosh around.

In this video the scale is too large for the 100m waves to be visible. The inertia and mayor chaos that the water inflicts on the basin is still too small to be seen in the video.
But I'm guessing there won't be mayor waves, just strong streams, at the point where Cuegan is at.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote: OTVO Voting Time!
Vote for your favorite Cuegen Combination.
Results will be posted Here

Ok thanks for all the votes so far! Seems to be one clear winner this time so far. But there may be some more votes to come of course! At least now in the OTC we have more English speakers coming in. The current frame would be great voiced by M4 I think. Hoepfully later we get some words from LaPetite later so someone can voice her as well!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Gedeon wrote:DangerONG
Spoiler:

It seems like Cueganites are not much versed in making stuff.

Ok, I don't get it. If they are "up there", what's the problem? They can go for them while they are still escaping the rising... oh wait, I see. They are truly on a hill, aren't they? It will become an island soon, if it isn't already, am I getting it right?

Spoiler:
Also, has anyone noticed that the mouseover text changed? It says "RUN." now.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

--blindpost from NP 1195--
(beginning my daily ketchup and hit two "must reply to posts")

Latent22 wrote: OTVO Voting Time!
Vote for your favorite Cuegen Combination.

I'm going to go with C6M3, but I do like M2.

I really like the "teaser trailer". This is gonna be awesomeful.

Also, keep in mind these folks for the Beanies and (since I ketched up on the OTC before reading the OTT) we're going to need voices for the tribe, too. (When we get that far.)

------

And the other comment about Cueball's Rock (Fram M3002): and all I can do is :? :( :cry: (for some reason this one hit square in the feels.) {And I haven't even seen anyone else's reaction, yet. Ong is goat on this page.}

---end blindpost back to NP 1195, so I can turn the page---
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:50 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
neopifex wrote:Also: I've got a bad feeling about this. The Forty are split and now Cuegan are going to have to do twice as much RUNning to save them all.
Maybe it's time to build a boat. Do they have time to put a raft together and make it to a shore with a line to the mountains?

I don't think a boat would be very effective in the kind of currents they're getting. They would probably end up pulled away from shore and not able to get back to land until they're hundreds or thousands of km from the Beanies. Who knows, they may end up in Sicily, and I somehow doubt they know that going against Sicilians is the second Classic Blunder.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

Jokern wrote:
hunjoh wrote:I don't know. From watching the video it seems to me that you would need to enlarge the opening by at least a couple orders of magnitude to make the water in the basin slosh around.
In this video the scale is too large for the 100m waves to be visible. The inertia and mayor chaos that the water inflicts on the basin is still too small to be seen in the video.
But I'm guessing there won't be mayor waves, just strong streams, at the point where Cuegan is at.
The only complaints so far about the sim in the video is that maybe his start volume is too low. Even if (if) that is the case, his calculations can serve as a lower bound.
At 1:25, it shows about where we seem to be right now, with water flowing in at about 1-2 miles per hour. (If each color is half that of the next one). That is still enough to knock over the unprepared -- especially those prepared to float on hypersaline seawater.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
Spoiler:

Don't make me strand you on a hill at the bottom of the Mediterranean basin!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Very rough embiggening, (about 5x normal) which is also compressed, width-wise. Cuegan is on the far right.

Spoiler:

John Ya Ya, John Parrot, John Bigboote, John Nolan, John O'Connor and John Small Berries.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I ran it on the affected images, and it turns out that in all cases, the following segment was removed:

gAMA {1.0000}

i.e. the original version explicitly set the gamma to 1.0, while the corrected version doesn't specify a gamma.
If you open, for instance, frame 2842 in Chrome, you'll see the effect: the original version is much lighter than the current xkcd version. (Firefox shows the darker one for both versions.)

Interesting. I tried both images (current and original) in Opera, Chrome and Firefox. Opera displays both identically. Chrome displays the original very bright. But my Firefox (which I assume is up-to-date, version 22.0) displays which is somewhere in between in darkness (both versions of the image are identical).

Here's a comparison. Opera is on the left, Firefox on the right:

Department of redundancy department:
Spoiler:
redundancy.jpg

opera-firefox-comparison.png

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

Well, I've been behind for two days now, currently on NP1203, and wondering if I'll ever ketchup. A couple things:
1. Glad you're back, BlitzGirl!
2. I was sad to see Aluisio go, but I have a feeling he's still around, with a different account, and I think I know which one. :wink:
3. I have a present for y'all:
Spoiler:
A Megball In Love smiley!

for all the Megball shippers.

redundant
Spoiler:
megball_love.png
megball_love.png (521 Bytes) Viewed 21132 times

youreakitty.png
youreakitty.png (4.88 KiB) Viewed 21132 times

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
NoMouse wrote:
Spoiler:

Don't make me strand you on a hill at the bottom of the Mediterranean basin!

I'm glad to see you again, too! :D
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Don't split the party! Never split the party!

The party's already been split. And the only imminent threat is the flood itself - the most important thing is making sure all groups have the information they need to get to safety.

In my thirty-plus years of experience playing role-playing games, I've found that whenever anyone says "never split the party" it is inevitable that the party will be in at LEAST two, and usually more, groups within half an hour. It's a rule. :roll:
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

FloatONG...

“Camp”, that doesn't sound much like a permanent home.
No way they can go back. But the 12 are probably the ‘stuff’ floating past, on a raft of sorts.
Last edited by mscha on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ahecht

Postby ahecht » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

I hope that's stuff as in boats, and not stuff as in carcasses.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

Go LaPetite and the other kids! And Buzzcut and Bunny seem like very reasonable people.
Also, another person with curly(?) hair, or maybe just long bangs...

Earthling on Mars wrote:
A Megball In Love smiley!

for all the Megball shippers.

Yay! Thanks!! Image

Also: boats? Made of scavenged Hill People stuff?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

Six of them here, plus twelve back at camp, plus Cuegan, leaves about twenty people up in the hills scavenging. That's half their tribe possibly (or soon to be) stranded on a vanishing island, and over a quarter of the tribe still downhill but with a possible escape route.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:12 pm UTC

Pix 5 of communication. Ok, I was wrong; people with longer guesses in the pool are still in the running....
ucim had "more than ten"
Rule111 had 12
capnbuckle had 15
Pelrig had 12 to tell them and 10-12 to get them going. So 22-24.

If anyone else had a guess I missed it.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks for bumping this, Major, I'd missed it. :)
Discussion on directionalism in film:
Spoiler:
Scorbut wrote:Hi all !

For my first post here, I will probably miss a lot of things and insult most of the traditions that seem to be running on the OTT. For my defense, I didn't started reading it since the beginning (even though I'm following the OTC since - almost - the beginning), so I'm not sure if there is something I should do about ketchup, or a cake, or a papal decree, or anything. I just wanted to answer to this :

BlitzGirl wrote: This reminds me of something I learned in one of my classes, though I can't for the life of me remember which class, or even what yip I learned it. In cultures that read left-to-right, there is a tendency to give objects traveling left-to-right across a field of view more positive associations: moving forward, progressing, heading the correct way. Objects moving right-to-left, or against-the-grain, are more apt to be viewed with suspicion or a sense of wrongness.

Filmmakers sometimes take advantage of this bias in the movement of characters and play that off of the plot. Heroes will more often enter from the left side of the frame and move right. A character that travels right-to-left across the frame, with the against-the-grain eeriness, creates a subconscious tension in the minds of the viewing audience.

I have a sneaking suspicion that GLR knows this theory. I also have a sneaking suspicion that there is a real name for this phenomenon, but I have forgotten it if ever I learned it.

The question interested me, so I did a quick research, and found that : "The effect of left-right reversal on film: Watching Kurosawa reversed" in the journal i-perception (I can't put the adress here, seems to cause my message to be considered as a spam).

This is a paper published in 2011, as far as I understand, talking about having people looking at mirror-reversed films, and trying to see what happens. I just had a quick glance inside the paper, and if the idea is interesting, the statistics seem to be quite weak (but, well, the idea is interesting - it was probably worth doing it). Nevertheless, the authors do not seem to be aware to the theory you are referring to (the left-to-right vs right-to-left movements), and it actually sounds like more of a legend about psychology of people looking at movies than an actual true phenomenon. Do you think you could try to remember some more information about that to see if we are able to find a more precise description of it ?

I've tried, but I can't for the life of me remember it - I just have a hazy recollection of a university class discussion where a professor brought the subject up. "Legend" may very well be a more accurate description, for all that I can recall, though I'm fairly certain it was presented to me as a known theory rather than idle speculation (which, of course, could have been the doing of the professor). I no longer have the access to articles that I used to, but based on some searching, I think the most relevant text might be: [Gaffron M. “Left and right in pictures” Art Quarterly. 1950;13:312–321] which I noticed in the bibliography of a related article. The abstract for this article also seems relevant. This full-text PDF article, also about static images, sounds interesting. But for some reason, I keep on thinking that it was a phenomenon in actual film rather than static pictures. Since the current evidence doesn't back that up, I'm probably mistaken.

Anybody up for an extensive directional-biases-in-film study? :wink:

I think the "directional bias" is more clearly visible on still images depicting movement, rather than in films where the movement is already clearly represented. If you missed it, I talked about this related to Hokusai's "Great Wave" in a previous post.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

FullOfIt wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:I ran it on the affected images, and it turns out that in all cases, the following segment was removed:

gAMA {1.0000}

Interesting. I tried both images (current and original) in Opera, Chrome and Firefox. Opera displays both identically. Chrome displays the original very bright. But my Firefox (which I assume is up-to-date, version 22.0) displays which is somewhere in between in darkness (both versions of the image are identical).

Here's a comparison. Opera is on the left, Firefox on the right:

I tested the color of the lightest gray area of frame 2842 it in all browsers I've got installed (on Windows 7):

Browser: original/new
Firefox 22: #696969/#696969
Chrome 29: #999999/#535353
IE 10: #535353/#535353
Opera 12: #535353/#535353
Upgraded to Opera 15: #535353/#535353
Safari : #696969/#696969

So Chrome is the only one paying attention to the specified gamma, but even without a specified gamma, there are two different interpretations of the color: #535353 and #696969.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

mscha wrote:No way they can go back. But the 12 are probably the ‘stuff’ floating past, on a raft of sorts.
I wonder if Cueball's rope is strong enough to haul them in....

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

---blindpost NP 1196---
I'm sure y'all were wondering why I said the ONG was the goat of 1195. How could I have missed BlitzGirl's Return? (Hi, BlitzGirl! Nice to see you back!)
Well was because of this first-poster getting out of mod-queue on 1195:
Kinjion wrote:De-lurking now, just so I can say "well, I was around before Cuegan returned to the sea" at some time in the future.

The subtleties of this thread still escape me, so if I'm missing the mark on any de-lurking etiquette right now, my apologies :lol:

Nice to met you Kinjion, welcome to our fire. I'm sure others have welcomed you too (one of the dangers of blindposting). Don't be shy about joining in. It's kind of a hectic time around here and I hope we Older Posters don't get too abrupt. There is a wiki that might help.

As to the etiquette question, your doing just fine. In fact, because of the mod-queue business, it's a really good idea to do exactly what you did, say "Hey, I'm here. Now what?"

Again welcome.

Oh, and did I mention that I just saw that BlitzGirl returned? Image
Great post, by the way.

--*sigh* back to 1196 *breathe*--
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

Thought it might be prudent to declare Ketchup Komplete (for now).

Also, it appears we have multiple groups splintered off in various locations...which can only mean a LOT of RunnONG is on it's way. Surely if the water was already rising, and the 'dry' river (creek) bed that Cuegan just walked through was filled with water, then the remaining Cueganites at camp wouldn't be sticking around long? The water level would have to be quite sticklife-threatening at this point, no??

(minor) Prediction: Cuegan (and perhaps a few more) race back to camp to get the Left Behind, only to find them mid-chaos, frantically trying to escape as the water has dangerously, and quite recently, 'snuck' up on them. The others on the hill will split off to tell the ones scavenging that it's time to RUN. Let's hope they pick a decent meet-up place before they part ways...also, perhaps the the 'floating items' contain some scrap wood with a rope sitting on/tied around it.

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks for bumping this, Major, I'd missed it. :)

Quite welcome :wink: Even though I'm sure I didn't follow protocol in Bumping a FirstPost. :oops:
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

I have a general question about the three viewers:

http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/2842, for example, says:
Geekwagon: frame 2847
Book of Aubron: frame 2850

Does that mean that there are at least five frames on Geekwagon, and three more on Aubron, that are not on mscha's viewer? I'm confused why the maintainers of these viewers allowed this situation to persist in the early days, if so.

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Prediction (ninja'd by the ONG, but still valid): they find most of the forty. However, for one reason or other, there are three or four that either are unaccounted for, or cannot travel.
How much extra time will they take to either search for the missing ones, or to (for example) build a sedan chair for the injured? Or maybe will they abandon those people to the flood?

hunjoh wrote:[Steven N. Ward's] video of the simulation does not appear show the inertial effects you describe. It appears that the volume of the Mediterranean basin is just too large in proportion to the size of the Straight of Gibraltar for those effects to occur.
How big does he envision the opening getting? If we posit some sort of collapse, perhaps the opening gets bigger than he thought.

Jose
Okay, I did some digging around.

Steven Ward seems to have assumed a constant fill rate of 17,000km3 per day, or about 200m3x106/sec. This is well above the 120m3x106/sec peak flow of the Garcia-Castellanos etal. paper in Nature, and matches well with Rosetta's statement that the Cueganites will be flooded out in days. Ward's simulation has the inner plains of the western basin flooded in 2 days. (It is worth noting that Ward's flow is more than 10 times the flow that Garcia-Castellanos etal. predicts for the early stages that Cuegan and the 40 are currently experiencing in the OTC.)

If you watch Ward's video, there is a small fore-basin that looks like it will absorb all of the inertial effects before the water flows down into the western basin. So to get sloshing in the western basin where our heroes are it looks like the cross-sectional area of the opening at the Straight of Gibraltar would have to be a significant percentage of the cross-section of the smaller fore-basin so the water could just fire-hose through the fore-basin and continue down into the western basin.

I stand by my earlier estimate of 2 orders of magnitude larger opening at the Straight of Gibraltar to get sloshing in the western basin.

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:

And an image! Don't forget that!

BlitzGirl wrote:

Image Wow, this really is the new Javascript!
(We pick apart miniscule pixel-by-pixel, or apparently byte-by-byte, changes on this 1200-page thread. We definitely noticed. :wink: )

Hence that edit in my post.

mscha wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

WHAT TYPE OF SORCERY IS THIS?!

Gedeon wrote:
mscha wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Don't panic. I think it might update on a regular basis... has anyone saved it???
<snip>

Oh me yarm! Please tell me someone saved it!!!1!one!!

Okay, guys, I get it. I'll try not to miss more than 5 pages of this topic at a time for now on.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”