1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

keithl

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby keithl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:46 am UTC

Estrada, F., G. Ercilla, C. Gorini, B. Alonso, J.T. Vázquez, D. Garcia-Castellanos, C. Juan, A. Maldonado, A. Ammar, M. Elabbassi, 2011. Impact of pulsed Atlantic water inflow into the Alboran Basin at the time of the Zanclean flooding. Geo-Marine Lett., 1-16 PDF

Still scratching my head on this one, but it seems to suggest inertia effects. Being geologists, "pulsed" may mean kiloyears apart.

Dr. Garcia-Castellanos's website with lots more papers.

Just for grins, I sent him a question about the absence of inertia effects in the model in this paper, and asked if they had looked in their drill cores for microfossils like seeds and pollen that might have washed down into Zanclean sediments from a hypothetical coastal innundation.

I mean, what's the use of abstruse pseudoscientific arguments on xkcd forums if it doesn't change the course of geological research? The Outside must conform to the dictates of the OTC, after all!
Last edited by keithl on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:47 am UTC

If this isn't on the GLR's bookshelf, it should be.

Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:49 am UTC

keithl wrote:Just for grins, I sent him a question about the absence of inertia effects in the model in this paper, and asked if they had looked in their drill cores for microfossils like seeds and pollen that might have washed down into Zanclean sediments from a hypothetical coastal innundation.

I mean, what's the use of abtruse pseudoscientific arguments on xkcd forums if it doesn't change the course of geological research? The Outside must conform to the dictates of the OTC, after all!

Did you invite him in for a blitz?
Let us know what he replies, of course.

ETA: Ignore all popes, including this one.
Last edited by charlie_grumbles on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:49 am UTC

I think it's time to MolpyDown, Amigos del Tiempo...thought I'd attach a MolpyPic and automatically searched the Google for one...HA! This was actually listed under 'images':
Spoiler:
Let's just hope this image thing works...

ETA; It worked!! Yay :D
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:51 am UTC

frakhorsestaplers wrote:
jazz14456 wrote:
Wildhound wrote:It's totes obvo that Cueball has spotted an incoming ocean liner and nobody is paying attention to him. Like, Gee Willikers.

KNOW IT'S GUDZILA JEESH!!1111

evry1 nowes gudzila cums frum dah oshin.
GET IT RIGHT

XD

Ocean liners are those huge cruise ships, right?

Maybe it's the Titanic, somehow either raised from the seafloor and extensively repaired or just an exact replica (which would probably be less expensive, given that the TItanic's been at the bottom of the ocean for 101 years now and is torn in two, extensively rotted, and very much sunk into the ocean floor).

Keep in mind that this IS the past we are talking about.
Obviously what happened is some sort of time-traveling device was built in the future (probably the wobbly-wobbly, timey-wimey kind), was used to go back into a few years before the events of OTC occurred, given to a group of people who then went into the future, rescued the Titanic before it exploded (which is much more plausible for an ancient, most likely technically deprived (EXCEPT FOR TIME MACHINES) people), and took it back to the newly rising Mediterranean. (There are three ideas of time travel I can recall thought of by theoretical physicists [READ: Creators of Media] (the first being loosely represented by Doctor Who, the second by that one book about A Wrinkle In Time, and the third being represented by Orson Scott Card's Pathfinder series (multiple timelines). If the third one is how things work, then IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THEM TO STEAL THE TITANIC BEFORE IT CRASHES BUT THEIR STILL TO BE A CRASHED COPY IN THE REAL WORLD. We already have proof that GLR has read some of Orson Scott Card's books, so it all makes sense.)
/fakerant
This place is ending and its time to go.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:59 am UTC

Montov wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:It does look like he's getting something out of his bag. Is it time for Cueball's dream to come true? "Our rope isn't strong enough." "Hold this or you'll fall."

The consensus at the time was that Cueball's dream was about his appearance at the What If #44 (the fourth picture), which appeared at the time he was heaving his dream.

If there has ever been a consensus about anything on this thread, I don't think that was it! For my part I don't think the dream was related to the What If and I do expect those phrases to reappear in the OTC.

pelrigg wrote:And the other comment about Cueball's Rock (Fram M3002): and all I can do is :? :( :cry: (for some reason this one hit square in the feels.) {And I haven't even seen anyone else's reaction, yet. Ong is goat on this page.}

Yes that was a poignant comment, and significant too. It shows they are not nomadic, or at least have been coming and going from this area for a long time. Also shows that Cueball has totally grasped the reality of the situation. Like some others, I've also been finding their dialogue since leaving the castle a little strange - more casual in tone than you might expect - but that comment definitely showed that they weren't "in denial" or had some other interpretation of what was happening. This frame will be a great challenge for the OTVO Cueball - it has to capture his fear, nostalgia, determination and resignation all while running at top speed :shock:

Pfhorrest wrote:But I wouldn't be surprised if the Beanies do have some kind of seafaring vessels prepared, for no reason other than that they are currently on what they know is soon to be an island, and they apparently value that location and its contents, so I doubt they're about to either abandon it to inaccessibility across the ocean, or allow themselves to get stranded on an island with no idea how they're ever going to see the mainland again. They must have some way of getting to and from the soon-to-be-an-island prepared, which means some kind of boat.

Yes, and [somebody?'s] theory that they used water transport to alert communities in the Basin is more plausible than that they travelled overland. The ones by the water are the ones you'd want to reach first.

BlitzGirl wrote:Family unit? They definitely strike me as related, especially the group of three with bangs/fringe in the middle. Bunny and the other woman also appear to have similar hairstyles.

We've had expert opinion from astronomers, linguists and hydrogeologist/engineers, clearly now it's time for the hair stylists to step in with their analysis :mrgreen:

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:00 am UTC

EveryONG RUN
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:04 am UTC

OTTification time!

Take it, Cueball!

In the day we sweat it out in the basin of a runaway Mediterranean sea
At night we raft through channels of glory in hillpeople machines
Sprung from cages out on Mountain 9
Wood hulled, fuel injected and stepping out over the line
Baby, this plain rips the bones from your back
It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We got to get out while we're young
Because tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Megan let me in, I want to be your friend
I want to guard your dreams and lores
Just wrap your legs around these wooden logs
And strap your hands across my oars
Together we could break this trap
We'll run until we drop, baby we'll never go back
Will you walk with me out on the flood
Because baby, I'm just a scared and lonely bud
But I got to find out how it feels
I want to know if love is wild
Girl, I want to know if love is real

(SAX SOLO!)

Beyond the mountains, Beanie-powered drones scream down the boulevard
The girls comb their hair in silvered mirrors
And the boys try to look so hard
The Chateau D'If rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist
I want to die with you Megan on the plains tonight
In an everlasting kiss

The riverbed's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive
Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide
Together Megan, we'll live with the sadness
I'll love you with all the madness in my soul
Someday girl I don't know when we're going to get to that place
Where we really want to go and we'll walk in the sun
But until then tramps like us, baby we were born to run

(Based on: Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen)
Last edited by Arky on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:05 am UTC

Arky wrote:OTTification time!

You might want to mention the original...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:07 am UTC

mscha wrote:

If people don't know Born To Run by the Boss, the OTTification will be no fun for them anyway :P

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:07 am UTC

Neat ottification, Arky! I also liked mscha's earlier, forgot to mention that. :)

xpatiate wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Family unit? They definitely strike me as related, especially the group of three with bangs/fringe in the middle. Bunny and the other woman also appear to have similar hairstyles.
We've had expert opinion from astronomers, linguists and hydrogeologist/engineers, clearly now it's time for the hair stylists to step in with their analysis :mrgreen:

Indeed! :mrgreen: And the new ladies have very interesting hairstyles, particularly when they RUN:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Keywords: BGUM, embiggen, enlarge, The Forty, The Six, Cuegan, Cueball, Megan, hair, hairstyle, group, people
TheSixAndCueganRUN.png

redundant45.png
redundant45.png (143.74 KiB) Viewed 16305 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:10 am UTC

Incidentally, my prediction is that Cueball has noticed wood floating on the surface of the fresh water and this will factor in to how they cross channels and stuff while RUNNING.

rmcurtis

Postby rmcurtis » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:11 am UTC

So, tall buzzcut dude went to get the 12 at camp? Or accidentally ran the wrong way?

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:12 am UTC

Gedeon wrote:[...]
Depending on their behaviour, I might understand why the hill people weren't quite fond of them. There is a large scavenging "tribe" in Europe that usually causes trouble wherever they settle.

Gedeon,
please: you could name this "'tribe'", as they have a name: Sinti and Roma. Then, they do not "usually cause trouble wherever they settle", but rather are caused trouble where they [b]stay[/b]. If they attempt to settle they get the full amount of discrimination and chicanery that communal administrations, police and neighbors can muster.
You are on very thin ice here.
I believe that nobody in the OTT is ready to discriminate against the "40" because of their possibly marginalized lifestyle. (Includes you.)

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:13 am UTC

rmcurtis wrote:So, tall buzzcut dude went to get the 12 at camp? Or accidentally ran the wrong way?

My guess is that Buzz is at the head of the group, off-frame. He's taller, so he might be a faster RUNner.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:16 am UTC

Arky wrote:
mscha wrote:

If people don't know Born To Run by the Boss, the OTTification will be no fun for them anyway :P

I know Born to Run, but not well enough to recognize the lyrics. (Yes, now I notice the last three words.)
Remember, this is a varied and international group of people, and anything that's “surely obvious to everyone” isn't to half of us.
Anyway, now that I've read it with the original playing in the background: ⁴! Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:18 am UTC

Is it just me, or are they running the wrong way?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:20 am UTC

Now that I've ketchupped and I've had a lot of time to think things over, here's what I think:

This is the climax. As was previously said in different words: Groups of important pix have become more and more frequent, and longer since Lucky. There is evident danger.

This is THE climax, not A climax. This is the end. Why? Correct me if I'm wrong, there isn't anything that doesn't really make sense that we have seen that we don't understand well enough (or are VERY likely to know). We know almost the exact year that this happened. We know where it happened. We know what is happening in the nature. The only things we aren't sure of are the things that have been brought up in the past few newpix, and what will happen. Almost all loose ends have been tied in.... there can't be much left, except maybe for a month or so worth of newpix left of survival with/against the other members of the group.

If GLR doesn't make another comic in this format, I think we should try and do some kind of petition. Knowing you guys, it would end up just being a few bots signing it over and over. Why don't we make it apparent that we are allowed to do it as often as we want..... but PROVE that we aren't using bots, that we are doing it by manually? Captchas. One of the programmers could set up a website like that, right? Endless captchas, and a total count of completed ones?

(Writing in numerals so this is easier to read, sorry grammar nazis)
If 100 of us did 100 captchas a day, thats 10,000 a day total. We could send it to him at 10,000. If that doesn't work, 100,000 (10 days). If THAT doesn't work, 1,000,000 (100 days). If that doesn't work, then we assume GLR hates this format and stop.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:21 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Is it just me, or are they running the wrong way?

Step 1 was get everyone together. That means continue back the way the Six came, to the camp, to get the Twelve before the water reaches them, and possibly some kind of raft materials; then head back upland through the hills to grab the Twenty before they get stranded on an island.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

jeffallen55

Postby jeffallen55 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:23 am UTC

mscha wrote:Remember, this is a varied and international group of people, and anything that's “surely obvious to everyone” isn't to half of us.

Basically just repeating what you said, but it's important to remember: anything that's known by the "average" person isn't known by 3.5 billion people.

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:25 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:
pelrigg wrote:And the other comment about Cueball's Rock (Fram M3002): and all I can do is :? :( :cry: (for some reason this one hit square in the feels.) {And I haven't even seen anyone else's reaction, yet. Ong is goat on this page.}

It shows they are not nomadic, or at least have been coming and going from this area for a long time.

Wasn't this shown already at around the 1000s, after the sand castle, when they are exploring the river, and frequently refer to that river using language implying ownership? "my river" "our river"

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:28 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Step 1 was get everyone together. That means continue back the way the Six came, to the camp, to get the Twelve before the water reaches them, and possibly some kind of raft materials; then head back upland through the hills to grab the Twenty before they get stranded on an island.

Not sure that those numbers are exact...
Didn't Cuegan say "about 40"?
"About" is approximate, especially since 40 is usually considered a round number.
I might be wrong, but unless Cuegan said twelve or twenty people somewhere in OTC, I don't think that is exact.
Last edited by jazz14456 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 am UTC

jazz14456 wrote:
xpatiate wrote:

It shows they are not nomadic, or at least have been coming and going from this area for a long time.

Wasn't this shown already at around the 1000s, after the sand castle, when they are exploring the river, and frequently refer to that river using language implying ownership? "my river" "our river"

But they could migrate up and down the river. Obviously, not so far as to run into the Hill People though.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 am UTC

jazz14456 wrote:Now that I've ketchupped and I've had a lot of time to think things over, here's what I think:

This is the climax. As was previously said in different words: Groups of important pix have become more and more frequent, and longer since Lucky. There is evident danger.

This is THE climax, not A climax. This is the end. Why? Correct me if I'm wrong, there isn't anything that doesn't really make sense that we have seen that we don't understand well enough (or are VERY likely to know).
<snip>
By that reasoning, Cameron would have stopped the Titanic movie when the iceberg struck.
Or Lord of the Rings ending when the Ring hit the lava...

There can be a LOT more to this...
Last edited by NetWeasel on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:31 am UTC

And... on pix 8 they're running. So I'd call that about midway between me at 5 and ucim at "more than ten".
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:32 am UTC

jazz14456 wrote:Now that I've ketchupped and I've had a lot of time to think things over, here's what I think:

This is THE climax, not A climax. This is the end. Why? Correct me if I'm wrong, there isn't anything that doesn't really make sense that we have seen that we don't understand well enough (or are VERY likely to know). We know almost the exact year that this happened. We know where it happened. We know what is happening in the nature. The only things we aren't sure of are the things that have been brought up in the past few newpix, and what will happen. Almost all loose ends have been tied in.... there can't be much left, except maybe for a month or so worth of newpix left of survival with/against the other members of the group.

I agree. We've already had more answers than we got in all of Lost. (Yes, I'm still mad about that.)
This is the end, apart from maybe an epilogue (or five, if the GLR is inspired by Peter Jackson's take on LOTR). Image

jazz14456 wrote:If GLR doesn't make another comic in this format, I think we should try and do some kind of petition. Knowing you guys, it would end up just being a few bots signing it over and over. Why don't we make it apparent that we are allowed to do it as often as we want..... but PROVE that we aren't using bots, that we are doing it by manually? Captchas. One of the programmers could set up a website like that, right? Endless captchas, and a total count of completed ones?

If 100 of us did 100 captchas a day, thats 10,000 a day total. We could send it to him at 10,000. If that doesn't work, 100,000 (10 days). If THAT doesn't work, 1,000,000 (100 days). If that doesn't work, then we assume GLR hates this format and stop.

Interesting idea. But I don't think the GLR works that way. He's like the seaDWHW.

DWHW: does what he wants.

ETA:I don't wanna, but my eyelids tell me:
Molpy down.
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:35 am UTC

NetWeasel wrote:

This is THE climax, not A climax. This is the end. Why? Correct me if I'm wrong, there isn't anything that doesn't really make sense that we have seen that we don't understand well enough (or are VERY likely to know).
<snip>
By that reasoning, Cameron would have stopped the Titanic movie when the iceberg struck.

Nope, because the Titanic accident still actually happens in this timestream, just not in the one further ahead, after the time travel, which OTC is in.

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:39 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
jazz14456 wrote:
xpatiate wrote:

But they could migrate up and down the river. Obviously, not so far as to run into the Hill People though.

True, I didn't think about that. :)

BytEfLUSh

Postby BytEfLUSh » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:42 am UTC

I don't like doing OTTifications... :oops: I'm not an English speaker, so I ... ah, the usual excuses, since this is the third time I attempt one. :)

Swim
Apologies to Pink Floyd.
Pink Floyd - Breathe

Swim, swim across the strait
Don't care if you're too afraid
Leave, but leave now
Look around
It was your own ground

Longer life will come at heights
A new life might be pretty nice
You can't stay here at the sea
It might be killing thee

Run, forty, run
Up that hill, to the top
When at last you are too high
Note the hill
And you are near to see the stars

For you have lived on river's junk
And now you realize that it's defunct
There's really not much time to spare
We'll just have to run away

ETA: Ok, that sounded bad when I listened it with the original... :\
ETA2: Ok, I guess it's too late to delete this.. I like the idea, so I'll probably improve it in some other post. :)
Last edited by BytEfLUSh on Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:56 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

-- Professor Dan, The Man from Earth (paraphrased)

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:43 am UTC

mscha wrote:
jazz14456 wrote:If GLR doesn't make another comic in this format, I think we should try and do some kind of petition. Knowing you guys, it would end up just being a few bots signing it over and over. Why don't we make it apparent that we are allowed to do it as often as we want..... but PROVE that we aren't using bots, that we are doing it by manually? Captchas. One of the programmers could set up a website like that, right? Endless captchas, and a total count of completed ones?

Interesting idea. But I don't think the GLR works that way. He's like the seaDWHW.

DWHW: does what he wants.

ETA:I don't wanna, but my eyelids tell me:
Molpy down.
Spoiler:

We could try, right?
I mean, he will NEVER do it if he doesn't want to. I don't think WE even want to make him do something he doesn't want to do. It is HIS comic, after all.
But we could always tell him in a very strong, passionate way (and holy crap you guys aren't lacking in passion) how much we enjoyed this, and how much we would like another one.
Like I said before sort of, there will be a point where if its not working we will have to give up.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:46 am UTC

jazz14456 wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:
jazz14456 wrote:This is THE climax, not A climax. This is the end. Why? Correct me if I'm wrong, there isn't anything that doesn't really make sense that we have seen that we don't understand well enough (or are VERY likely to know).
<snip>

Nope, because the Titanic accident still actually happens in this timestream, just not in the one further ahead, after the time travel, which OTC is in.
Hitting the iceberg could be called THE climax, just as you called this.

Cuegan still have to combine the Six and the Twelve (with whatever problems there are with that), get the Party of Twenty over to the Hills to rejoin the Other Party of Twenty, and then get up to the high hills, preferably up Long Ramp Mountain, which should appear on the Map (in the Backpack). And get to the base of the High Mountains in time for the floodwaters to stop.

THEN they have to go find out (while returning the atlas) that Rosetta was NOT wrong, and that the stopped floodwaters have not stopped; they just took a break to go and flood the basins east of Sicily....

...and so it goes.

ETA: different island.
Last edited by NetWeasel on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:49 am UTC

jazz14456 wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Step 1 was get everyone together. That means continue back the way the Six came, to the camp, to get the Twelve before the water reaches them, and possibly some kind of raft materials; then head back upland through the hills to grab the Twenty before they get stranded on an island.

Not sure that those numbers are exact...
Didn't Cuegan say "about 40"?
"About" is approximate, especially since 40 is usually considered a round number.
I might be wrong, but unless Cuegan said twelve or twenty people somewhere in OTC, I don't think that is exact.

Bunny said there are twelve back at camp. Subtracting these Six plus the original Two from the estimate of forty, that leaves an estimate of twenty in the hills, unless there are other groups besides these ones we haven't accounted for.

The Twenty is an estimate, but all the others are exact. But since we've been using "The Forty" without qualms, and twenty is also a nice round number, I see no objection to calling the approximate half of their tribe currently in the hills "The Twenty".

jazz14456

Postby jazz14456 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:49 am UTC

What does molpy mean?

Also, about what you said about GLR being like the sea: that reminds me of one of the reppuns on the cinematic version of Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. The reppun was something along the lines of "Aslan is not a tame lion." It was used in response to someone talking about Aslan in a way that suggests he could be controlled, manipulated, or predicted.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:51 am UTC

Made it to the present, finally.
Things have slowed down enough for ottifcations, I see. (All of them very good as usual.) {I do agree with mscha that mentioning the original is a good idea. It took me a couple of verses to see that it was "Born To Run". I don't think it's needed to link to it, although it's fun to listen along. But the note about the original is nice. Small aside: Have you ever listened to an "oldies" station that as a matter of policy, doesn't ID the songs they play? And then a song comes on that you've heard hundreds of times before, but you can't place the name, or even the group, right then? It's kind of frustrating. That's kind of the feeling I get when there's no "original" info handy.)
[Maybe I'll even get a wild hair and take another stab at this ottifying. I was thinking of a song while at work, that I might give a try at. (Then again, since my first ottification garnered comments from two people and didn't even make it into the Song-fest wiki page; maybe not.)]

BlitzGirl wrote:
rmcurtis wrote:So, tall buzzcut dude went to get the 12 at camp? Or accidentally ran the wrong way?

My guess is that Buzz is at the head of the group, off-frame. He's taller, so he might be a faster RUNner.

Or he might be running to a different location. The main group is heading to the 40's village and he's going to warn the ones at the hill folk village.

Pre-submit edit
@jazz14456; You and I are on the same page there. I mentioned earlier (though possibly over-looked) that Cueball said "about 40".
Last edited by pelrigg on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:53 am UTC

mscha wrote:
Arky wrote:
mscha wrote:

I know Born to Run, but not well enough to recognize the lyrics. (Yes, now I notice the last three words.)
Remember, this is a varied and international group of people, and anything that's “surely obvious to everyone” isn't to half of us.
Anyway, now that I've read it with the original playing in the background: ⁴! Image

Fair enough, edited in to the OTTification post :)

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:54 am UTC

Since we're no longer "waiting for it" does that mean we should all become TimeRunners now?

If so.. then the critical question is of course: Is Cueball a replicant?
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:54 am UTC

jazz14456 wrote:What does molpy mean?

Any small animal (or moving unidentified pixels) in the OTC. Unless they're raptors. As a rule, raptors are the predators. If the animal is identifiable, the word "molpy" is often fused with the actual animal, like squirpy for squirrels or meowpy for cats or wolpy for dogs (by way of wolves). This is only reasonable, because the original derivation of "molpy" was from "mole" (underground mammal) and "compy" (prehistoric predator featured in Jurassic Park).

Hope this clarifies.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Eternal Density

I'll ketch up eventually...

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:56 am UTC

I was only 2np behind yesterday and then got distracted Outside :(
I just reached this point:
Wow, nicely done!!
Spoiler:
I didn't tell you this is redundant.
But it is!
3k.PNG
3k.PNG (2.05 KiB) Viewed 16164 times

Also is it just me or are the delurkers delurking more often these dips?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:58 am UTC

jazz14456 wrote:But we could always tell him in a very strong, passionate way (and holy crap you guys aren't lacking in passion) how much we enjoyed this, and how much we would like another one.

Not keen on a "now do another one" petition - but I do agree that the energy and the goodwill in this community is immense, and it would be fantastic to put it to good use, as a way of saying thanks rather than a demand for more. Could be donations to an xkcd-ish cause, or time spent on a citizen science project, or some other useful contribution to the world.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Prediction: after reaching camp (and whatever surprises will surely await there, and whatever difficulties there are in getting the Twelve to come along, which hopefully will be minimal since the Six were convinced to RUN quickly enough), they will grab some raft-making materials and head up to the hills to find the Twenty. While on a hill with the Twenty, they will be surrounded by water, and have to build a raft or rafts to cross to the shore of the real mainland, possibly rescuing people from several hilltops along the way. Then there is the long uphill run, with its own unpredictable snags, including: they're probably going to have to sleep at some point before they reach the top, and no matter how much time they make they will probably have to cut it short, pack up and leave again before the night is through; or else power through a sleepless night (I predict the first). When they finally reach the edge of the present-day continental shelf, they will hesitantly settle in for a real night's sleep, with everyone terrified of the ocean catching up to them again, but it will be OK, and they will move on back across the will-be-a-bay to the Chateau d'If.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”