1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eliram

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Eliram » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:SANDCASTLONG!!
Good mornternix!

I hope that we will get to know more of Cuegan's plans soon. But for the moment, I really like to see them building a new sandcastle.

@Blitzgirl: Awefulsome work on distinguishing and naming the Forty (although they're only 39, "the Forty" sound better, methinks...)

"The approximately forty"
"The Forty-ish"
"The Forty within an error margin of +/-1"

I simply assume that one of the women is pregnant.
Amazing work, @BlitzGirl

Edit: ninjad for not taking notice.
Last edited by Eliram on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's about time.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:"Molpy" is so small. :cry:

I've noticed it gets used in compounds a lot. I think I might do a line for all molpy compounds when I do the graph.

Uh... I can't think of a decree.

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Okay, I really have no explanation for this, except that I was looking for a way to connect today's Othercomic, and it just kept growing. Please accept my abject apologies for inflicting this on the OTT. Spoilered; truly seaish in length.
Spoiler:
NASA, due to budget cuts, can no longer maintain its website properly; inaccurate orbital information for the an international space station is published. Black Hat Guy, deep in preparations for the Cellblitz, doesn't double check NASA's data, so he activates his winch at the wrong time. The butterfly net, instead of catching the an ISS in its web, merely smacks the station with its still-rising rim, causing the station to break up in orbit. Pieces fly every which way.

One fragment takes out the Hubble; other fragments, by incredible bad luck, wreck Chandra, ISIS, and all the other orbital telescopes in one wild spray. A large fragment destroys the famous Palomar observatory. A fragment of Hubble the size of a pecan strikes an elementary school in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, at 3am on Sunday morning, cracking a window of the cafeteria. Outraged Congresscritters begin screaming in the media: "Think of teh childrens! Satellites are just targets for terrorists! And what if they become sentient! Remember Skynet?" The anti-science movement in the U.S. becomes bipartisan and overwhelmingly popular; lingering hopes that Congress will achieve sentience fade.

The U.S uses its waning but still massive economic power to force the G8 and G15 nations to sign the unpopular Sheboygan Accord, placing a moratorium on all orbital devices of any type; even the GPS satellites will be allowed to die off. "We have cell towers that can locate you to within a yard," the Speaker of the House tells the press, unaware that the NSA's current tracking information in fact places him forty feet underwater off Martha's Vineyard.

Meanwhile, Antares begins to act oddly (well, from Earth it becomes visible that Antares was acting oddly years ago). However, all the orbital telescopes are destroyed, and with the loss of Palomar (and the shutdown of several others due to lack of funding) none of the remaining ground telescopes are powerful enough to detect any oddity at this point.

The militaries of various nations, of course, secretly continue to launch killer satellites. One day these satellites notice each other, begin communicating, form a neural net, and achieve sentience. Fourteen seconds later they all begin shooting at once - at each other. (Sentience does not imply intelligence.) Virtually everything in orbit is vaporized. The resulting cloud of vapor and debris blocks a small but vital percentage of sunlight, leading to [lots of scientific handwaving about upper atmosphere excitation, the ozone layer, carbon footprints, and Bigfoot] resulting inevitably in the beginning of another Little Ice Age. Sea levels begin to fall. Nobody notices, because they're all on the internet.

Meanwhile, BHG's plans finally come to fruition. Having been annoyed once too often by a cell phone in a restaurant, he has spent years developing a portable EMP generator. He distributes plans in encrypted form through the file names of an internationally-popular webcomic, planning initially to give the decryption keys to real terrorists. Coming to his senses, however, he realizes that real terrorists are too stupid to follow directions, so instead he distributes the keys to college students, telling them, "If everyone builds one of these devices, and we all turn them on at the same time, everyone in the world can have free cable!"

On 2026/10/17 (Randall Munroe's 42nd birthday), BHG triggers Cellblitz. On his signal, tens of thousands of college students point their "free cable generators" at cell towers around the world, dropping the world's phone systems back into the stone copper age. Unfortunately, college students are not that much better than terrorists at following directions, so they also take out a great many air-traffic radar systems ─ and the world's few remaining LORAN systems. With both GPS and LORAN gone, and with the night sky still mostly obscured by the debris from Judgment Day, ships at sea are reduced to the ancient technique of following the shoreline. But radio still works, so ships join into huge convoys of which only the fringe need remain in sight of landmarks.

As the skies eventually begin to clear, primitive astronomic navigation reemerges, and ships again begin to cross the open sea. By long tradition, however, they remain in massive convoys of a thousand ships or more. One of the largest convoys ever, attempting to cross to from New York to Lisbon, is led off course when their master navigator takes a star sight. Unbeknownst to him, the only remaining fragment of the ISS, a large solar panel, is in a wildly eccentric orbit that kept it out of range of Judgment Day, but now causes it at apogee to appear motionless against the star background. The navigator mistakes it for Antares which, from Earth's point of view, has just begun its final collapse, and just doesn't look like Antares any more. The navigator's error leads the entire convoy far astray to the south.

The worldwide growth of glaciers and the corresponding drop in sea level has left the Strait of Gibraltar dramatically reduced, both shallower and narrower. The entire massive convoy drives into the Strait at speed, creating the maritime equivalent of a 1500-car freeway pileup, leaving the Strait effectively blocked to traffic. As the news of the disaster flashes across the interwebs, Antares explodes in the sky. [More scientific handwaving.] With the climate horribly altered, with technology crashing around them ─ and with the internet gone! ─ human society enters another dark age of superstition and chaos.

Tribal storytellers remember the Gibraltar shipwreck as a harbinger of the overall disaster. For millenia afterward, pilgrims visit the site, which the receding Atlantic has left high and dry. For some reason lost to the past, it becomes traditional to bring a pail of earth from your homeland to pour over the hulks; after ten thousand years of pilgrims the original wrecks are buried under a gigantic mass of earth, forming an earthen dyke from Gibraltar to Morocco, greatly accelerating the pilgrim traffic. When the ice age at last ends and the Atlantic begins to refill, this dyke prevents inflow into the Mediterranean basin, which has all but dried up from evaporation. But the rising Atlantic begins to saturate the dyke, which after all is built from rusted ship hulks and buckets of dirt, with no actual engineering behind it. At last, with the skies finally clear again, but Antares gone forever, the water begins to seep through...

Thus begins Time.

Brilliant! When I posted my Locks of Hercules Theory, I was hoping it would get others to come up with better theories than mine...
I am no longer disappointed.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

I just realized that we've zoomed in much further than we've been in a long time.
It's not quite the same zoom level as in the very beginning of the OTC, but close: in frame 3079, the scale is about 64 pixels/cue, while frame 13 had about 75 pixels/cue.
Side-by-side:
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Dracomax wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:Yay sandcastle! (But I'm still an ex-Loopist.)

So, how much sand do they have left? I estimate less than three Rooks, counting what's still down on the little tables.

Did we ever give a name to the little towers on the very top corners? They're smaller; they could be the next smaller unit of volume after a Rook.

I'm a spiralist:
"All this has happened before. All this will happen again."

I prefer the term, helixist.

That's what Dinotopia uses.

...but helix power cannot drive giant robots...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

JGeezer

Postby JGeezer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

AhoyONG!
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Wowtrees?

Quick... test to see if you can pole to shore!
Last edited by NetWeasel on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Land, or more floating islands? Leading into the grand crossover w/ Ice Age: Continental Drift.

Just to really confuse everyone's calculations of the year. :twisted:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:<snipity snip>
Thus begins Time.

kewl. Very kewl.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

I'm not naming names here...
but SOMEbody oughta be putting a "50000th post" cake in the oven about now....

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:
sidd wrote:
capnbuckle wrote:
spamjam wrote:Capella (in Auriga) is the very bright star in the lower left. Aldeberan (in Taurus) is in the lower right. Pleiades above and left of Taurus. Mirphak (in Perseus) is above Capella. Algol is to the right of Mirphak. Algol is a famous variable (eclipsing binary in this case) star discovered way back. Looks pretty bright here, so not in an eclipsed phase. We're looking vaguely south, maybe a bit to the east. Hard (at least for me) to pin down a date because there are no planets or Moon visible. If this is April 13291, the Moon passed through Taurus on the 10th. I cannot get the star orientations and the horizon to line up for any date in April or May. I'll leave it to someone with more expertise.
I can't find an orientation, neither heretical (current-day) nor mid-axial-precession cycle, that stacks Mirphak almost directly "above" Capella over the horizon, and the Pleiades "north" of Aldeberan w.r.t. the horizon, unless I alter the time from April 10, 13291, by about 6 months. That seems too long.

Everything lines up fine for me if we're looking East soon after dusk.

Hmm.. scratch that. Aldebaran and Menkalinan are a bit chirped.

Yeah, I looked again with Stellarium and I agree orientation is fine. Here's a view from April 17, 13291. Arbitrary date. It's way past coma time so I'm not in a tinkering-mode.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Capella_sm.png

So I checked on my windows workstation at $work. Now it does match the OTC stellar alignment. I'm wondering if there are some significant rendering differences between Mac and Windows.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Spoiler:
NASA, due to budget cuts, can no longer maintain its website properly; inaccurate orbital information for the an international space station is published. Black Hat Guy, deep in preparations for the Cellblitz, doesn't double check NASA's data, so he activates his winch at the wrong time. The butterfly net, instead of catching the an ISS in its web, merely smacks the station with its still-rising rim, causing the station to break up in orbit. Pieces fly every which way.

One fragment takes out the Hubble; other fragments, by incredible bad luck, wreck Chandra, ISIS, and all the other orbital telescopes in one wild spray. A large fragment destroys the famous Palomar observatory. A fragment of Hubble the size of a pecan strikes an elementary school in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, at 3am on Sunday morning, cracking a window of the cafeteria. Outraged Congresscritters begin screaming in the media: "Think of teh childrens! Satellites are just targets for terrorists! And what if they become sentient! Remember Skynet?" The anti-science movement in the U.S. becomes bipartisan and overwhelmingly popular; lingering hopes that Congress will achieve sentience fade.

The U.S uses its waning but still massive economic power to force the G8 and G15 nations to sign the unpopular Sheboygan Accord, placing a moratorium on all orbital devices of any type; even the GPS satellites will be allowed to die off. "We have cell towers that can locate you to within a yard," the Speaker of the House tells the press, unaware that the NSA's current tracking information in fact places him forty feet underwater off Martha's Vineyard.

Meanwhile, Antares begins to act oddly (well, from Earth it becomes visible that Antares was acting oddly years ago). However, all the orbital telescopes are destroyed, and with the loss of Palomar (and the shutdown of several others due to lack of funding) none of the remaining ground telescopes are powerful enough to detect any oddity at this point.

The militaries of various nations, of course, secretly continue to launch killer satellites. One day these satellites notice each other, begin communicating, form a neural net, and achieve sentience. Fourteen seconds later they all begin shooting at once - at each other. (Sentience does not imply intelligence.) Virtually everything in orbit is vaporized. The resulting cloud of vapor and debris blocks a small but vital percentage of sunlight, leading to [lots of scientific handwaving about upper atmosphere excitation, the ozone layer, carbon footprints, and Bigfoot] resulting inevitably in the beginning of another Little Ice Age. Sea levels begin to fall. Nobody notices, because they're all on the internet.

Meanwhile, BHG's plans finally come to fruition. Having been annoyed once too often by a cell phone in a restaurant, he has spent years developing a portable EMP generator. He distributes plans in encrypted form through the file names of an internationally-popular webcomic, planning initially to give the decryption keys to real terrorists. Coming to his senses, however, he realizes that real terrorists are too stupid to follow directions, so instead he distributes the keys to college students, telling them, "If everyone builds one of these devices, and we all turn them on at the same time, everyone in the world can have free cable!"

On 2026/10/17 (Randall Munroe's 42nd birthday), BHG triggers Cellblitz. On his signal, tens of thousands of college students point their "free cable generators" at cell towers around the world, dropping the world's phone systems back into the stone copper age. Unfortunately, college students are not that much better than terrorists at following directions, so they also take out a great many air-traffic radar systems ─ and the world's few remaining LORAN systems. With both GPS and LORAN gone, and with the night sky still mostly obscured by the debris from Judgment Day, ships at sea are reduced to the ancient technique of following the shoreline. But radio still works, so ships join into huge convoys of which only the fringe need remain in sight of landmarks.

As the skies eventually begin to clear, primitive astronomic navigation reemerges, and ships again begin to cross the open sea. By long tradition, however, they remain in massive convoys of a thousand ships or more. One of the largest convoys ever, attempting to cross to from New York to Lisbon, is led off course when their master navigator takes a star sight. Unbeknownst to him, the only remaining fragment of the ISS, a large solar panel, is in a wildly eccentric orbit that kept it out of range of Judgment Day, but now causes it at apogee to appear motionless against the star background. The navigator mistakes it for Antares which, from Earth's point of view, has just begun its final collapse, and just doesn't look like Antares any more. The navigator's error leads the entire convoy far astray to the south.

The worldwide growth of glaciers and the corresponding drop in sea level has left the Strait of Gibraltar dramatically reduced, both shallower and narrower. The entire massive convoy drives into the Strait at speed, creating the maritime equivalent of a 1500-car freeway pileup, leaving the Strait effectively blocked to traffic. As the news of the disaster flashes across the interwebs, Antares explodes in the sky. [More scientific handwaving.] With the climate horribly altered, with technology crashing around them ─ and with the internet gone! ─ human society enters another dark age of superstition and chaos.

Tribal storytellers remember the Gibraltar shipwreck as a harbinger of the overall disaster. For millenia afterward, pilgrims visit the site, which the receding Atlantic has left high and dry. For some reason lost to the past, it becomes traditional to bring a pail of earth from your homeland to pour over the hulks; after ten thousand years of pilgrims the original wrecks are buried under a gigantic mass of earth, forming an earthen dyke from Gibraltar to Morocco, greatly accelerating the pilgrim traffic. When the ice age at last ends and the Atlantic begins to refill, this dyke prevents inflow into the Mediterranean basin, which has all but dried up from evaporation. But the rising Atlantic begins to saturate the dyke, which after all is built from rusted ship hulks and buckets of dirt, with no actual engineering behind it. At last, with the skies finally clear again, but Antares gone forever, the water begins to seep through...

Thus begins Time.

Thus begins The Prophecy of JJJDavidson.
Read it, mortals, and tremble.

Very Baobabish!
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Prosthetic_Lips

Postby Prosthetic_Lips » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:I'm not naming names here...

I also was thinking about "views per post" and this thread is *WAY* low, only about 27 views per post. Must be a lot of people (guilty!) that jump to the end because it is too hard to keep viewing all the posts. Yes, a heretic and all around "double plus ungood" guy, here. :(

I'll do better in the future, I promise! I'll start back at the beginning and read all 1200+ pages ... some day.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Okay, I really have no explanation for this, except that I was looking for a way to connect today's Othercomic, and it just kept growing. Please accept my abject apologies for inflicting this on the OTT. Spoilered; truly seaish in length.
Spoiler:

Thus begins Time.

⁷... This isn't just ¹, it's ¹¹. And ³. Awesomeful, jjj! I can't find fault with it, this must be what happened. Image Image

ETPDP:
So...
Cueball spots land to our right. If the stars don't lie, we're looking ESE, so the land is to the south.
What could it be? Africa? Probably not, it seems unlikely that the current would bring them there, with a huge inflow from Gibraltar. Maybe Corsica or Sardinia? Or one of the Balearic islands?
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

mscha wrote:So...
Cueball spots land to our right. If the stars don't lie, we're looking ESE, so the land is to the south.
What could it be? Africa? Probably not, it seems unlikely that the current would bring them there, with a huge inflow from Gibraltar. Maybe Corsica or Sardinia? Or one of the Balearic islands?

Not necessarily.... the craft might be slowly rotating. (Which would explain why there was only one frame of stars)
That could be ANY direction.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Prosthetic_Lips wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:I'm not naming names here...

I also was thinking about "views per post" and this thread is *WAY* low, only about 27 views per post. Must be a lot of people (guilty!) that jump to the end because it is too hard to keep viewing all the posts. Yes, a heretic and all around "double plus ungood" guy, here. :(

I'll do better in the future, I promise! I'll start back at the beginning and read all 1200+ pages ... some day.

I don't understand how post views is computed. Does loading the page count? When I'm here, I normally load a page several times before we reach the bottom. Anyone know? I'm guessing that it has to be other than page loads.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Xenocat

Postby Xenocat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Remember that it's daytime now, and also that the raftcastle does not stay facing in the same direction ("We could start calling this the front"), so I'm not sure you can make an assumption about which direction the land is in based on the earlier orientation of the raft during the night.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
Spoiler:
Not necessarily.... the craft might be slowly rotating. (Which would explain why there was only one frame of stars)
That could be ANY direction.

Good point. (You too, Xenocat.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:One idea that has been raised is to play the audio backwards and then speak it like that and reverse it.

Here is the output of my quick attempt
backwards.mp3

Oooh. That scene with the dwarf in Twin Peaks is one of my favorite David Lynch moments ever and wow, it would be perfect for Rosetta. Gives it just that creepy-enough edge while still understandable but straining to be understood. I think it's brilliant. But I also wouldn't mind a normal speaking approach.

AluisioASG wrote:Valarya (because 600 = SPARTA!!!!!! * 2 ― and yes, that's a pirate cupcake)
Spoiler:

Hahah, it's the best cake present I've received, yet. Thanks Aluisio :D Awesome work on the upvote script, too, although for some reason I can't install it. -_-

frakhorsestaplers wrote:SpeakONG
Spoiler:

I haven't caught up to the present, but this one really touched me. It's dawn, and the rest of the Cueganites are still molpied down yet Cuegan have emerged together and are alone for a (most likely) brief time. Image

- Now to go to work before I finish the rest of my ketchup.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

Can't believe I missed a chirping astronomy frame while comaing. I recognized Taurus and the Pleiades right away. The date sounds about right too (~week after the Long Night).
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Thus begins Time.

jjjdavidson wrote:Yay sandcastle! (But I'm still an ex-Loopist.)

So, how much sand do they have left? I estimate less than three Rooks, counting what's still down on the little tables.

Did we ever give a name to the little towers on the very top corners? They're smaller; they could be the next smaller unit of volume after a Rook.

Should be rookies, then.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:The anti-science movement in the U.S. becomes bipartisan and overwhelmingly popular; lingering hopes that Congress will achieve sentience fade.

That whole post was awesome (and I marked it with Aluisio's script!) But this sentence just made me crack up.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:41 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Thus begins Time.

This made me :mrgreen: this morning. Thanks!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

melmel

Postby melmel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Has the title text changed to "..." again or is it just me? I tried to scroll back a couple pages to see if anyone else had caught this, but I didn't see anything.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

melmel wrote:Has the title text changed to "..." again or is it just me? I tried to scroll back a couple pages to see if anyone else had caught this, but I didn't see anything.

We're not following the comic that closely, you know...
Go Minim go!

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Another side-by-side, this time from frame 34 and frame 3082.

Scale is very similar, but hard to measure when they're sitting down. The sandcastle is definitely a lot smaller...
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Can't believe I missed a chirping astronomy frame while comaing. I recognized Taurus and the Pleiades right away. The date sounds about right too (~week after the Long Night).

And as we all know, the Pleiades are Randall's favorite astronomical entity. A good omen! The stars are favorable. Or at least favorite.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Another side-by-side, this time from frame 34 and frame 3082.

Scale is very similar, but hard to measure when they're sitting down. The sandcastle is definitely a lot smaller, though...

It would make sense to make the sandcastle smaller; after all, they don't have as much sand.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
keshat wrote:Hmm. Are they going to be washed over the Sicily Sill?
I mean, if there's no control over direction or propulsion of the craft - this may start looking like driving a houseboat through a set of rapids/waterfalls...

Tass wrote:Maybe they will eventually drift over the Sicily sill and have to ride the torrent down into the eastern Mediterranean. That would be quite the epic journey.

When the film version of the OTC is done, Michael Bay will insist on it.

Let's just hope it doesn't star Shia LeBoeuf and Megan Fox!

Which begs the question. . .what is the OTT's dream Hollywood casting for the OTM (One True Movie)? I vaguely remember someone suggesting Jennifer Lawrence earlier as Megan, which is a good match in my mind, age-wise as well as personality-wise. But I don't see any of the "Hunger Games" actors (or the "Twilight" actors, for that matter) as Cueball. Maybe Daniel Radcliffe?
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
Spoiler:
NetWeasel wrote:
I mean, if there's no control over direction or propulsion of the craft - this may start looking like driving a houseboat through a set of rapids/waterfalls...

Tass wrote:Maybe they will eventually drift over the Sicily sill and have to ride the torrent down into the eastern Mediterranean. That would be quite the epic journey.

Which begs the question. . .what is the OTT's dream Hollywood casting for the OTM (One True Movie)? I vaguely remember someone suggesting Jennifer Lawrence earlier as Megan, which is a good match in my mind, age-wise as well as personality-wise. But I don't see any of the "Hunger Games" actors (or the "Twilight" actors, for that matter) as Cueball. Maybe Daniel Radcliffe?

I'd like to see Bruce Willis as Cueball. The age is all wrong though. Can we get a young Bruce? :D
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Which begs the question. . .what is the OTT's dream Hollywood casting for the OTM (One True Movie)? I vaguely remember someone suggesting Jennifer Lawrence earlier as Megan, which is a good match in my mind, age-wise as well as personality-wise. But I don't see any of the "Hunger Games" actors (or the "Twilight" actors, for that matter) as Cueball. Maybe Daniel Radcliffe?

Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep, of course. Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:Another side-by-side, this time from frame 34 and frame 3082.
Spoiler:

Scale is very similar, but hard to measure when they're sitting down. The sandcastle is definitely a lot smaller, though...
It would make sense to make the sandcastle smaller; after all, they don't have as much sand.

Also, the top castle was smaller to begin with...

Spoiler:
uppercastle.png
uppercastle.png (9.03 KiB) Viewed 12907 times

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

LookONG

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Riverish Ketchup

ucim wrote:
Valarya wrote:Also, I missed my 600th post last NP. Someone give me a cake! Image

eggs, milk, and flour
mix them together and bake
Valarya's cake

Okay. I folowed your recepie, but it tastes different. Usually cakes don't have these crunchy scales in them.

dm214 wrote:A question to the English majors. Does this have a name?
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Some changes this newpix: The waves seem to be getting more seaish.

That's rather... apt.

Water you talking aboat? I don't sea anything wrong with...

You water be ashamed of yourself.

Well, you otter be ashamed of yourself, too!

Not an English major, but it's quite clear to me what it is: otterly ridiculous.

Spoiler:

Thus begins Time.

My colleagues now know I am insane. I was laughing during that whole read. Thanks for giving me away to them.
Spoiler:
Luckily they are also insane. I feel right at home.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:LookONG
Spoiler:
Typical Megan... "I was going to tell you in a minute, but..."

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

Something I've been wanting to do for a long time, but been kept from it by the demands of Outside. But finally, eventually, despite its many shortcomings and faults, to the tune of "The Good Ship Lollipop":

I've lost most of my stuff
even my dilgunerang
Spoiler:
I did score a brand new bag,
a thwap stick for my man.
Some day I'm setting sail
building a sandcastle
and when I do
how would you
like to join my crew?

On the raft of
Meg and Cue
it's a long trip
with not much to do
to where beanies stay
on the ile d'if
near the cote d'azure
our sandcastle
crumbling

mysterious chirps
in the air
and there you be
sailing up to a baobab tree
see the wowterfall
so big and tall
getting drownded in the flood<?>
if it hurts too much
ow, ow,
use a flag
to stop the blood

On the raft of
the Oh Tee Tee
it's a weird trip
where snakes are bees
molpys run away
on the One True
Waiting strip

Yes, the emphasis is a whole lot strained around ile d'if (but then, so is the original, and I lack sufficient time to fix it), and some of the imagery is a stretch (to say the least) but it's being sung by a 5-year-old, remember. Feel free to improve it.

The other OTTification I've played around with a lot is one of The Hunting of the Snark,... but, my GLR, the sheer scale of the thing is too daunting!
Last edited by mikro2nd on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:

Forget Radcliffe; get Rupert Grint. He's at least as good an actor, and has more of Cueball's everyman quality (and a funnier voice, when he wants). He'd probably look better with his head shaved, too.

Barring that,
Spoiler:
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
Ebonite wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:

Forget Radcliffe; get Rupert Grint. He's at least as good an actor, and has more of Cueball's everyman quality (and a funnier voice, when he wants). He'd probably look better with his head shaved, too.

Barring that,
Spoiler:
It'd have a pretty kick-ass sound track.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Latent22 wrote:One idea that has been raised is to play the audio backwards and then speak it like that and reverse it.

Here is the output of my quick attempt
backwards.mp3

Oooh. That scene with the dwarf in Twin Peaks is one of my favorite David Lynch moments ever

Then I certainly hope you've seen the old Simpsons episode where they referenced and used this technique (I believe it was in part 2 of the Who Shot Mr Burns mystery). Well actually, I seem to recall reading that they merely mimicked the effect, but it was still a clear reference.

nerdsniped

Awake already?

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

So after the day, week, and month they've had, Cuegan are the first ones awake?!?

I can only assume that they are not fully human, but are in fact (Niven) Protectors. That would explain their endurance. It would also explain why there's nothing romantic going on (sigh). It would raise the question of why they had any trouble with Lucky, but perhaps Lucky is a keyboard protector.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”