1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

I want one! !!!!!

Seriously, if you actually make these, I will order several.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

I want one! !!!!!

Seriously, if you actually make these, I will order several.

Not hard to get your own with services like this: http://www.uberprints.com/
Quality might not be awesome though.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

:D Nice! Where do I get one?!

Thanks for the feedback on the shirt, xuys! Only a manip, though - no plans to produce any, particularly considering it's GLR's artwork. :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

GLR, Creator of Time wrote:To the intrepid, clever, sometimes crazy readers who followed it the whole way through, watching every pixel change and catching every detail: Thank you. This was for you. It’s been quite a journey; I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did!

I am trying very very hard not to get emotional at my desk. This is so absolutely wonderful. For all of us, and for Randall. I cannot say thank you enough: to Randall, and to everyone on the OTT. I am sure it is near impossible for someone from the Outside to understand how much this means...silly though it may be.

It is incredibly satisfying to know that the GLR, Creator of Time, has been watching over us. It means so much more now, knowing that he is aware of how great a gift he has given us, and that we, in turn, have given him a gift by showing our devotion to the OTC. We know he is watching, but now he knows that we are REALLY watching. I am certain that such a devoted following is a great source of pride for him. For who else can boast of single-handedly creating (albeit, inadvertantly) an entire sub-culture, based on two stick figures on a beach? No one. And that makes this place all the more wonderful! :mrgreen:

ETA: Aw man! I am getting all teary eyed reading other OTTers who commented on the blag.
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:07 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

Thanks for the feedback on the shirt, xuys! Only a manip, though - no plans to produce any, particularly considering it's GLR's artwork. :wink:

Drop an email to the store account (orders at xkcd com), I am sure he would be up for adding another shirt to it.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Looks like geekwagon's server is starting to get a beating... @mscha, you might be lucky he didn't directly link yours...

Yup.
I think my server would be able to handle it (it's pretty much idle, and externally hosted with a good internet pipe; and the scripts are pretty lightweight) but I don't mind not having to confirm that. Image
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

digimuzik

Postby digimuzik » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

I hear there's some sort of party going on in BlitzGirl's basement... involving some sort of bondage? Is that where the meetup is taking place? Is the only way to attend to say "good bye" ?
Keep bringing us news from the past, smolloy!

I waited for it... XKCD Time Wiki

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

The following lyrics have been stuck in my head for 3 dips straight, now. I find myself singing it in the shower, walking around the house, driving in my car, sitting at work, etc etc etc.

Thanks, yappo. -_-
Megan and Cue, Megan and Cue'
castle-building duo who don't know much they're
Megan and Cue, Megan and Cue
awesomeful adventuring paair.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

digimuzik wrote:I hear there's some sort of party going on in BlitzGirl's basement... involving some sort of bondage? Is that where the meetup is taking place? Is the only way to attend to say "good bye" ?

(It's actually in the OTT's basement - and yes, there are plenty of ropes involved.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

Ok, finally pseudo ketchuped. I blitzread post-Time by reading BlitzGirl! It's a good way to ketchup for non-read-it-all-ers like myself, pick a favorite OTTer and read everything they wrote! That's how I originally got into the OTT too, by reading BlitzGirl's summaries as she blitzed!

Awesome post-Time videos yappo!

I think the color OTC idea sounds great! I'd love to see that! Instead of posting rongs every day why not select one person each day to post the next day's colorong. Has that been suggested? We could even start from frame one and go through one at a time until it's all colored! (Did anyone see that star wars collaboration video where a bunch of different users made video to go with the star wars audio and it got stitched together? I can't seem to find it) That gives the designee a full day to color their ong and they have the previous day's to look at for inspiration! We could determine who gets to go next by papal vote maybe? People could put their names in a cue, possibly on the wiki or we could create a new minister of coloration or something. Just throwing ideas out there.

As far as what I'm most proud of in the OTT, I think I was one of the first few OTTody writers. I wasn't the pioneer that BlitzGirl was, nor as prolific as StratPlayter, but I was the first to record an OTTody, so there's that!

eta: Oh, and I should add I never would have played Portal 2 co-op without the OTT! Thanks Valarya! :) (not saying goodbye BiltzGirl, don't worry, just reminiscing)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Ketchup, Part 2
(Delayed due to the One True Blag)

Lokiparts wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:I missed it?! I missed it?! I go away for the weekend and come back to 11 newpix and 45 newpages of the end...
I had to go to the bathroom to avoid crying at my desk. I feel like a friend has died.

Well at least I wasn't the only one. I litterally saw the second to last frame on Friday before I left for the day, and thought to myself, "this should be a good place to leave off. When I ketchup on Monday there will be lots of fun conversation in OTT and lots of interesting frames." SO MUCH FOR THAT THEORY! :(

*hugs* for SPACKlick and Lokiparts!

SNIP

Thank you Blitzgirl! I'm slowly coming to grips with it but I would be lying if I said it hasn't seriously made an already gloomy Monday that much gloomier. Although the shoutout to the OTT in GLR's Blag certainly did help to lighten it a bit.

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

P17:
sparehead3 wrote:Unless it's a 7-day animation and we're in for the long haul...

Yeah, 7 days (not declared to be heretical yet!) would definitely be "long-haul" :D
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:The following lyrics have been stuck in my head for 3 dips straight, now. I find myself singing it in the shower, walking around the house, driving in my car, sitting at work, etc etc etc.

Thanks, yappo. -_-
Megan and Cue, Megan and Cue'
castle-building duo who don't know much they're
Megan and Cue, Megan and Cue
awesomeful adventuring paair.

Finally had the nerve to listen to this, was too sad on Friday- and am tearing up :cry:.

Truly Wowterful Yappo.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

fatness wrote:By the way, Randall made a "making of Time" blag post today.

http://blag.xkcd.com/

He knowwwwsss :D
He/Him/His Image

Ace

Postby Ace » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

fatness wrote:By the way, Randall made a "making of Time" blag post today.

http://blag.xkcd.com/

Oh, my. I just read that, and, wow. Speechless. Only way I can think to express this: <3 .. just <3

I .. no. No words.

'Time has ended.' 'Aww. Aw well, fun while it lasted.' (It fake ended a couple times: 'bye.', the fade, the rock in the path, joining with the scholars, 'say your goodbyes from here'.. even Lucky could've been the end. Plus all those 'thus ends time' predictions.. I was kind of burnt out on endings by the time it ended.)

*blag post is posted* *now actually tearing up*

Thanks to Randall and his sources of information, we have an amazing comic. An amazing little corner of the internet, right here, with posters that feel almost like family. But wow, the comic. Such an incredible piece of work. Truly incredible. This man has my respect, and admiration, and, given it became so much work, over an hour for some of those hourly frames, I think it prudent to reconsider any 'more please' requests. He's only human, as far as we know.

If you're reading this Randall: Thank you! This story was amazing, and wonderful, and I really appreciate the effort that went into telling it. (It didn't look like so much work to me, which is not meant as a slight, but actually something I find very impressive. As they say about movies: the best special effects are the ones you don't notice.) I came for the math jokes, but I stay for big things like this, neat, and wow, and sea-ish. I can wait (for it) to see what's next, whatever and whenever it is. I'll be looking forward to it!

I told myself I wasn't going to do this.. a big heartfelt post.. it's all been said before, and better, and.. oh what the chirp, here we go, geronimooo!
Wait for it.

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Awesome! P18. Our two heros have names! (almost)
Arlo James Barnes wrote:Re: Names - Since we have not seen a Megan-like character called anything other than Megan, we can assume that is this character's name until a contraindication appears. However, I don't believe this holds for 'plain' (bald?) characters, as we have seen multiple people that look the same because of their lack of ornamentation, from author surrogates (See 'Substitute Teacher') to characters that are clearly not Mr. Munroe. Even if the 'plain' appearance was unique to a single character, would that character really want the nickname 'Cueball'? :P

ETA: As I said before, please let me know via PM if you don't like me posting this stuff, or if I'm breaking the etiquette of this needle-pulled-thing. Having never been actively contributing to this, it's very possible (even likely) that I am getting on your nerves, and I will not have a problem if anyone says that to me :)
I just hope some of this stuff is interesting to you!
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Firstpost, newpage 1192:
Volcano99 wrote:delurkONG

Spoiler:

damn ninjas

Yeah, they're sneaky, aren't they? :P Glad you de-lurked, Volcano99, set and stay awhile!
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Ketchup, Part 3
Mustard, I'm just covered in ketchup todip...

@NoMouse, taixzo, Ximenez - Compliments on manips:
Spoiler:
NoMouse wrote:I'm also proud of this manip because even thought it was very simple (I didn't even bother to start Photoshop, MSPaint was sufficient), it turned out it was quite accurate prediction:P and I was very shocked when the next newpix showed up.

That was an awefulsome prediction indeed! I like that manip a lot. :)
taixzo wrote:Ok, thought I'd try my hand at coloring a frame:

That is lovely! Image

Ximenez wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Maybe if we coloured the Voldiframe it would be less scary. At least the otter doing the colouring would be desensitised to it.

Done!

Image I am so adding this to OTColored...

jovialbard wrote:Ok, finally pseudo ketchuped. I blitzread post-Time by reading BlitzGirl! It's a good way to ketchup for non-read-it-all-ers like myself, pick a favorite OTTer and read everything they wrote! That's how I originally got into the OTT too, by reading BlitzGirl's summaries as she blitzed!

Well, that adds a whole new meaning to "blitzreading"! Happy to help! :wink:

SPACKlick wrote:Friday 21:00-21:15 was the most posted in 15 minutes (199) which surprised me.

I think this stat may have gotten a boost from the End of Time last Fridip... :wink:

Wildhound wrote:This whole adventure has reinforced my ire at the fact that creative digital media is not taken more seriously. The OTC is, in my view, a groundbreaking piece of art and uses a medium in a new and previously unexplored manner to bring an experience to the observer that is quite unique among art forms. It makes me sad that it will never be known, or recognized by the wider world.

This is true, but it seems the situation is getting improving as Time goes by - more people of the millenial generation recognize the value of such things, and we are gradually coming into power. Digital art and internet media seem to be validated more and more as the yips go by...at least, from what I can tell. It's tough to get perspective on such things. And I'm not exactly an unbiased observer.

smolloy wrote:P17:
sparehead3 wrote:Unless it's a 7-day animation and we're in for the long haul...

Yeah, 7 days (not declared to be heretical yet!) would definitely be "long-haul" :D

Image That's a good one, smolloy! I think even GLR would appreciate that quote... :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
digimuzik wrote:I hear there's some sort of party going on in BlitzGirl's basement... involving some sort of bondage? Is that where the meetup is taking place? Is the only way to attend to say "good bye" ?

Spoiler:

(It's actually in the OTT's basement - and yes, there are plenty of ropes involved.)

Sounds like the prisoners are having a little to much fun, better go get the hose!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

But our rope isn't strong enough.
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

smolloy wrote:Awesome! P18. Our two heros have names! (almost)
Arlo James Barnes wrote:Re: Names - Since we have not seen a Megan-like character called anything other than Megan, we can assume that is this character's name until a contraindication appears. However, I don't believe this holds for 'plain' (bald?) characters, as we have seen multiple people that look the same because of their lack of ornamentation, from author surrogates (See 'Substitute Teacher') to characters that are clearly not Mr. Munroe. Even if the 'plain' appearance was unique to a single character, would that character really want the nickname 'Cueball'? :P

ETA: As I said before, please let me know via PM if you don't like me posting this stuff, or if I'm breaking the etiquette of this needle-pulled-thing. Having never been actively contributing to this, it's very possible (even likely) that I am getting on your nerves, and I will not have a problem if anyone says that to me :)
I just hope some of this stuff is interesting to you!

PM sent to smolloy:

Do please keep blind-posting from the past. It's actually quite nice to be reminded of tidbits from the past that we have since forgotten. Do please remember to tell us when in the thread (and the comic!) you are as you post. And I look forward to seeing you in the Future!
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Well my time is up, but my therapy session should resume again in the very near future, hopefully the withdraw symptoms will also start to subside quickly. But for now...

Spoiler:
ImageMolpy down

I hope I'm doing this right

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
rcrowell wrote:What I need is an animated GIF of the starry night that starts before it becomes obvious what is happening and ends after the last stars have completely faded from view. I recall that somebody posted such an animation about halfway through the night, but I don't think anybody generated one covering the whole sequence from before sunset to after sunrise. If I'm wrong, can one of you kindly point me to the GIF? If I'm right, can one of you help out by generating the GIF for me?

That was me, and the completed GIF is:
Spoiler:
It's not exactly what you want, though. Unfortunately, I don't have time in the next few days to make a new one – I'm spending more time here than I can afford already.

Oh well, did it anyway.
Here's an animation of the entire ‘scene’ where the Long Night took place, from the unprocessed original frames. (So no gamma tweaks et al.) Note that the fading started a few frames earlier on the previous scene, but I haven't included those. Also, the sunrise completed a while before they left the scene, so it might be longer than you want. If so, just cut 'em off.
It's a bit largish - 3 MB.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Spoiler:

Sounds like the prisoners are having a little to much fun, better go get the hose!

No!!!! Not the hose!!!! Kitties don't like hoses!!!!

Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Spoiler:

But our rope isn't strong enough.

Hold this or you'll fall.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Ok, finally pseudo ketchuped.

For some reason, I read this as "psuedo-ketchupod" and wondered what kind of tomato Cthuloid this might be.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

Prediction:

"Time II" will unfold using a series of frames stored at geohash locations, collected in order by deciphering clues from each previous frame in order to find the next.

It takes the OTT and sends it on the road!

ETA: I might have been ninja'd on this pages and pages ago -- I still haven't ketchup'ed...
Last edited by StratPlayer on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Spoiler:

No!!!! Not the hose!!!! Kitties don't like hoses!!!!

Spoiler:

Well they shouldn't be getting kinky with the kitties in the first place :P

ETA:

StratPlayer wrote:Prediction:

"Time II" will unfold using a series of frames stored at geohash locations, collected in order by deciphering clues from each previous frame in order to find the next.

I would quit my job to go hashing to find the newpix.
Last edited by Opiboble on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

That... that is too awesome. I always prefer shirts with small graphics, but I would make an exception for this. The original colorization was amazing, too. Very treeish work, Blitzgirl.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

Thanks, neopifex! :)

Okay, reading the comments on the One True Blag Post is making me giggle a little:
TimeLurker wrote:I do have one question though. In the last couple months when your wife questions you, have you yelled “Heresy, I’m the GLR!” and thrown candy at her?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

:lol: :lol: I hope you do not mind, TimeLurker, but I have to quote your comment on GLR's blag:

TimeLurker wrote:I do have one question though. In the last couple months when your wife questions you, have you yelled “Heresy, I’m the GLR!” and thrown candy at her?

I guffawed quite loudly when I read that, and had to stifle further laughter! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA: ninja'd by BlitzGirl
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, neopifex! :)

Okay, reading the comments on the One True Blag Post is making me giggle a little:

GGAAAHHH WHAT??? A BLAG POST? WHY DIDNT I KNOW OF THIS!?!?!?!?!? (Off to read!)

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

Lokiparts wrote:Well my time is up, but my therapy session should resume again in the very near future, hopefully the withdraw symptoms will also start to subside quickly. But for now...

Spoiler:
ImageMolpy down

I hope I'm doing this right

That is a perfect Molpy Down, Lokiparts!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:

I have extra batteries for my GPS and my Geo-caching bag is prepped and ready to go. When do we leave? (I shall have to leave a note for my wife, unless I can convince her to come along, too. She has pretty good geo-sense) :mrgreen:

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

I have extra batteries for my GPS and my Geo-caching bag is prepped and ready to go. When do we leave? (I shall have to leave a note for my wife, unless I can convince her to come along, too. She has pretty good geo-sense) :mrgreen:

Yup, I got 2 different GPS units, a map, a compass, and my walky-talkies. Just need to get a nPowerPeg to charge things on the go.

ETA: And of course my trek-pack with 3 weeks of food : )

richP

Postby richP » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:I wanted to OMR-All-Related-ify the latest OtherComic, but I'm stumped...

Huh... Seems pretty obvious to me:

Spoiler:
1. In the Current Other Comic, GLR refers to the Kerbal Space Program.

2. The Kerbal Space Program is a space-flight simulator in development by Squad a game development company in Mexico City, Mexico.

3. Mexico City was built from the ashes of the Aztec city Tenochtitlán, destroyed by Hernan Cortes in 1521.

4. 1521 is also the year that the Edict of Worms was issued by the Holy Roman Emporer Charles V, declaring Martin Luther a heretic.

5. The Edict of Worms was issued during the Diet of Worms in Worms, Germany, where "diet" refers to a general assembly of Imperial Estates of the Holy Roman Empire. It does not refer to any culinary or nutritional choices by the assembly.

6. However, while it is true that humans CAN eat worms, it is much more likely that worms become parasites of humans -- these are the parasites known as the helminths.

7. The study of parasitic worms is called helminthology, and has a long history. One author, David L. Grove wrote a book about it called "A History of Human Helminthology" in 1990.

8. David L. Grove was also the name of a Pennsylvania Game Commission Wildlife Conservation officer shot and killed in the line of duty on November 11, 2010 as he was investigating night-time poaching.

9. The officer David L. Grove also wrote an article in about the dangers of night-time poaching called "A Shot in the Dark" for the Pennsylvania Game News Magazine available as a pdf download HERE.

10. "A Shot in the Dark" was also the name of a 1964 Blake Edwards Movie, and it was the second installment in the Pink Panther series starring Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau.

11. The Pink Panther was a series of comedy films and a spin-off cartoon featuring a well-known musical theme, composed by Henry Mancini.

12. Henry Mancini was a famous and prolific composer of movie and easy-listening music. He recorded many, many records, including one in 1976, called "Henry Mancini Conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in a Conerct of Film Music", recorded at Abbey Road Studios.

13. Abbey Road Studios was established in 1931 and was the recoding site of many famous records, including Pink Floyd's 1973 album, "Dark Side of the Moon", which has sold over 50 million copies.

14. "Dark Side of the Moon" has several well-known tracks, including two songs that were singles and staples of FM radio -- "Money" and "Time".

15. "Time" was also the title of the xkcd comic #1190, also known as the One True Comic.

See??? It is ALL related! :shock:

Just one question: when do I hit "play" on my Dark Side of the Moon CD to make it sync up with the OTC?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

Did we ever have a true flamewar in the OTT? I think it's about time we get on that.

I know there was some silliness about posting sea-ish blitz posts or something (I skimmed most of those posts). Maybe we could fan those embers a bit?

Also,

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Redundant Kitty.png
Redundant Kitty.png (8.5 KiB) Viewed 22546 times

Entertainment.png

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Yup, I got 2 different GPS units, a map, a compass, and my walky-talkies. Just need to get a nPowerPeg to charge things on the go.
ETA: And of course my trek-pack with 3 weeks of food : )

You children aren't to go on any sort of quest without your dilgunnerang. And that's final.
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Well, we just need GLR to draw and hide the frames first. In the meantime we can just...

Spoiler:
...find something of our own to do, like make a sandcastle, explore the countryside, climb a mountain, go star-gazing, learn a new language, rescue some people in need, or anything else that adds to a meaningful life.

What? Did you think I'd just say "Wait for it"??? Sorry, but that's over...

mscha

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”