1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

schwartzbewithyou

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Blindpost:
mscha wrote:
Aubron wrote:Just pushed out a closing set of updates to xkcd.aubronwood.com, including auto-pausing for special frames. However, most fun of which (in my own opinion) is the secret ability to add a ?youtube=YOUTUBEID and make background music for the comic.
Thanks for all the support! <3

Neat!
http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/?youtube=GU9RL6D23jk
http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/?youtube=lG24SX4HEK8

ETA one more: http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/?youtube=SUAccJfn8sE

What an exciting addition! I have been dying to do this for a while and now you've made it easy (my apologies if someone beat me to the punch):
http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/?youtube=Gpc5_3B5xdk

My favorite is to play it during the sand castle building frames. Although I do love the sentimental background music of Megan and Cue, this makes me smile every time!

Edit: Pagepope! I am too excited reading through the blag and comments to make a decree! :mrgreen:
Last edited by schwartzbewithyou on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:56 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

P21. Cueball (although he's only really referred to as "he" or "him" at this point in Time) has just reentered the scene after scaring the mustard out of everyone (even though we haven't invented mustard yet!) by walking out of frame a while back. It's incredibly cute how excited we all are to see his return!

Also, this guy seems to be getting the right idea...
J L wrote:If this is going to be the worthy temporal companion piece to the spatial madness that was Click and Drag (and by now, frankly, everything else would be a let-down) I think it's safe to predict we're not even close to the beginning of things.

PS: I've got lots of PM's in the last hour (still not declared to be heretic!), all of which have encouraged me to go on. :) Thanks! I'll pop into the present every once in a while to see what's happening, but the past is very very neat!
Spoiler:
It looks like they're building a really big sandcastle!! :shock:
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

elangeland wrote:I have the NoScript extension for Firefox to thank for tipping me off that Time was special. Without its alert bar popping up, I probably would have dismissed it as a simple single-frame comic and moved on, never to think of it again. Instead, it prodded me to check Explain XKCD and the forums to find out what was going on.

How did other TimeWaiters come to realise that there was more to this comic than first met the eye?

FirstPost Bump in case you OTTers in the future haven't seen it yet. Welcome, elangeland!

Also a good question in there for the Elders. I myself simply knew something was up, and headed to what would soon become the OTT. From there, the rest was waiting...

:D
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:This is true, but it seems the situation is getting improving as Time goes by - more people of the millenial generation recognize the value of such things, and we are gradually coming into power. Digital art and internet media seem to be validated more and more as the yips go by...at least, from what I can tell. It's tough to get perspective on such things. And I'm not exactly an unbiased observer.

In a few decades (um, decayips? decyips? decips? dexades?) the world will not be run by arrogant chirps who don't understand the internet, but by arrogant chirps who grew up on it. (I'm probably of the last generation to grow up without the internet everywhere. Hell, get much younger and the time before facebook is beyond living memory)
Both good and bad things will come of this. Hopefully more of the former.

CasCat wrote:PM sent to smolloy:

Heh, I sent something similar as soon as I read the post

Preview edit: Seaish, treeish OTThercomic, Whizbang!
How may othercomics have been OTThercomicified now?
And how many times do I have to use the word OTThercomic before it catches on?
He/Him/His Image

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

P22 -- we have our first manip! OK, we're still living in the stone ages here, and we haven't come up with something as redundant as a way to allow images to be quotable, but that's OK, right?
Wnderer wrote:
time.jpg
It's really cool if you zoom out.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=840#p3303736
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:

This is my favorite redundakitty so far! :D
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:Prediction:

"Time II" will unfold using a series of frames stored at geohash locations, collected in order by deciphering clues from each previous frame in order to find the next.

It takes the OTT and sends it on the road!

I would quit my job to go hashing to find the newpix.

I have extra batteries for my GPS and my Geo-caching bag is prepped and ready to go. When do we leave? (I shall have to leave a note for my wife, unless I can convince her to come along, too. She has pretty good geo-sense) :mrgreen:

Yup, I got 2 different GPS units, a map, a compass, and my walky-talkies. Just need to get a nPowerPeg to charge things on the go.

Well, we just need GLR to draw and hide the frames first. In the meantime we can just...

Spoiler:
...find something of our own to do, like make a sandcastle, explore the countryside, climb a mountain, go star-gazing, learn a new language, rescue some people in need, or anything else that adds to a meaningful life.

What? Did you think I'd just say "Wait for it"??? Sorry, but that's over...

Well I live in Alaska, there is plenty of places to go and see up here, plus we are do for great weather next month, so lets go!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:17 pm UTC

richP wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:I wanted to OMR-All-Related-ify the latest OtherComic, but I'm stumped...

Huh... Seems pretty obvious to me:

Spoiler:
1. In the Current Other Comic, GLR refers to the Kerbal Space Program.

2. The Kerbal Space Program is a space-flight simulator in development by Squad a game development company in Mexico City, Mexico.

3. Mexico City was built from the ashes of the Aztec city Tenochtitlán, destroyed by Hernan Cortes in 1521.

4. 1521 is also the year that the Edict of Worms was issued by the Holy Roman Emporer Charles V, declaring Martin Luther a heretic.

5. The Edict of Worms was issued during the Diet of Worms in Worms, Germany, where "diet" refers to a general assembly of Imperial Estates of the Holy Roman Empire. It does not refer to any culinary or nutritional choices by the assembly.

6. However, while it is true that humans CAN eat worms, it is much more likely that worms become parasites of humans -- these are the parasites known as the helminths.

7. The study of parasitic worms is called helminthology, and has a long history. One author, David L. Grove wrote a book about it called "A History of Human Helminthology" in 1990.

8. David L. Grove was also the name of a Pennsylvania Game Commission Wildlife Conservation officer shot and killed in the line of duty on November 11, 2010 as he was investigating night-time poaching.

9. The officer David L. Grove also wrote an article in about the dangers of night-time poaching called "A Shot in the Dark" for the Pennsylvania Game News Magazine available as a pdf download HERE.

10. "A Shot in the Dark" was also the name of a 1964 Blake Edwards Movie, and it was the second installment in the Pink Panther series starring Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau.

11. The Pink Panther was a series of comedy films and a spin-off cartoon featuring a well-known musical theme, composed by Henry Mancini.

12. Henry Mancini was a famous and prolific composer of movie and easy-listening music. He recorded many, many records, including one in 1976, called "Henry Mancini Conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in a Conerct of Film Music", recorded at Abbey Road Studios.

13. Abbey Road Studios was established in 1931 and was the recoding site of many famous records, including Pink Floyd's 1973 album, "Dark Side of the Moon", which has sold over 50 million copies.

14. "Dark Side of the Moon" has several well-known tracks, including two songs that were singles and staples of FM radio -- "Money" and "Time".

15. "Time" was also the title of the xkcd comic #1190, also known as the One True Comic.

See??? It is ALL related! :shock:

Just one question: when do I hit "play" on my Dark Side of the Moon CD to make it sync up with the OTC?

:shock: Yes!! I am sure someone can figure out the necessary frame speed of Time to make this work! :mrgreen:

Whizbang wrote:Also,
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Redundant Kitty.png

Entertainment.png

:lol: Brilliant!! :lol: :lol:

fhorn wrote:
Spoiler:
Opiboble wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

"Time II" will unfold using a series of frames stored at geohash locations, collected in order by deciphering clues from each previous frame in order to find the next.

I have extra batteries for my GPS and my Geo-caching bag is prepped and ready to go. When do we leave? (I shall have to leave a note for my wife, unless I can convince her to come along, too. She has pretty good geo-sense) :mrgreen:

Yup, I got 2 different GPS units, a map, a compass, and my walky-talkies. Just need to get a nPowerPeg to charge things on the go.
ETA: And of course my trek-pack with 3 weeks of food : )

You children aren't to go on any sort of quest without your dilgunnerang. And that's final.

Do they carry those at Dick's Sporting Goods?

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
Opiboble wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

Well, we just need GLR to draw and hide the frames first. In the meantime we can just...

Spoiler:
...find something of our own to do, like make a sandcastle, explore the countryside, climb a mountain, go star-gazing, learn a new language, rescue some people in need, or anything else that adds to a meaningful life.

What? Did you think I'd just say "Wait for it"??? Sorry, but that's over...

Sounds like a plan to me!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

I want to respond to BlitzGirls question about our most satisfying achievement on/in the thread, but I've also got to comment on the ending and everything else that's happened.

Let me say, at the start, I don't think the OTT is going to end. I'm happy about that, because there is something wonderful about this community over and above the creative, analytical and sometimes just plain craziness that we've accomplished here. There are a few other long lived threads on the internet that started in much the same way this one did. No, not as an xkcd comic thread, but as a discussion on a topic, which just kept going. We even found and discussed some of them (the OTT is what the first part of understanding everything looks like). If they can do it, so can we.

I've got a few achievements that aren't my most satisfying, but still rate high. The first is identifying the comic as a story. I'm not sure if I was the first (probably not), but after I posted my first literary analysis, the discussion seemed to focus more around the story concept. Not everyone agreed, but that's the way we work here.

On that note, although Randall has called it a story in his blag post, an example of what confirms it as a story for me is the final frames. Cuegan start to build a sandcastle on the raft. If it were a glorified what if, there's no need for them to do that.

That same post is where I predicted that Time would end between 3500 and 4200 frames. I was using literary analysis (and some arithmetic) to make that prediction. My prediction was pretty accurate. I agree that the ending was a bit rushed, but that's a characteristic of modern stories. Once you have resolved all the plot questions, you don't linger, you lose your audience otherwise. The rush at the ending may have also been Randall getting tired, as he admits in the blag post.

At the end, I felt the same way when I've read a great novel. Sometimes I even want to plunge back in and start all over again. We may see a sequel, or Randall may do something different, artist that he is, but either way, I have a deep satisfaction from following Time as long as I have.

When it comes to talking about the thread, I never cease to be amazed at how we manage to avoid flames. It takes work sometimes, tempers do flare a little, but we always find ways to work it out. As one of my achievements, I like to think that I've contributed some calm words during some of those episodes, being appreciative of both posters (which is always easy because we've all contributed so much), yet helping to find a bridge between opposing points of view.

But neither of those are the achievement I think is the biggest. The biggest one is simply being here.

As far as I know, nothing like this has ever been done before. I was here before they started building the sandcastle. I had to go look at the fora to find out what was going on. That's a fairly common practice for me, I don't understand xkcd so I go to the fora to see what other people are saying. And there I was, immediately caught up in the whole experience. I delurked around the fading to say that I was satisfied with what had happened to that point, it was already a great experience, and now, some 2400 frames later, I feel even more that way.

But I was witness (as were all of us) to something completely new. There was no way to anticipate where Randall was going with this, there was only the waiting. I saw Al Jarreau before he was well known, but I didn't see him in his really early days. I live near Los Angeles, so I could conceivably see and participate in a lot of new art happenings, but I don't. I didn't even get Umwelt or Click and Drag, the first time through. But I was here when Randall Munroe took the art of webcomics to a whole new place.

As were you. That is something we all share. Future viewers can get a sense of the comic from the viewers or by blitzing the thread and we will welcome them to the thread, because that is who we are, but their experience will be different. We:

Were there at the beginning of Time,
Waited half an hour for one darkening pixel,
Molpy-ed up and down
Put out Flame Wars with BlitzGirl's shield,
and, finally,
Need 11 thousand years of sleep, just to catch up.

"You could spend a thousand lifetimes
staring at water and sand,
Thinking as hard as you could
And you'd never guess the world
had things like this in it."
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

Ace

Postby Ace » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

In honour of the blitzers, past, present, and future, and the comic, and that one little sandcastle, I will recursively molpy down this night.

Badly taken, I'm not sure why I did it this way. The picture on the monitor is also recursive, not that you can tell. Normally I'd try to crop the datestamp out, but it's in the recursion as well, so my hands are tied.

Redundant Recursive Spoiler
Spoiler:

Told you it was recursive.

recursion.jpg

recursive.jpg

Molpy is down, repeat, molpy is down.
Wait for it.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:20 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:I should add I never would have played Portal 2 co-op without the OTT! Thanks Valarya! :)

That was so much fun playing Portal 2 with you! Twas my pleasure. I never would have played it without the OTT, either. :D Hopefully you read some of my posts, too. ;)

smolloy wrote:As I said before, please let me know via PM if you don't like me posting this stuff, or if I'm breaking the etiquette of this needle-pulled-thing. Having never been actively contributing to this, it's very possible (even likely) that I am getting on your nerves, and I will not have a problem if anyone says that to me :)
I just hope some of this stuff is interesting to you!

I sent smolloy a PM to let him/her know that we LOVE the updates and to keep 'em coming! He/She can't see the replies to the updates and thus doesn't know we're rightly enjoying them. <3

See I was ninja'd several times on this. But the more the merrier!

Lokiparts wrote:I hope I'm doing this right

There's no right or wrong way, but you did a great job on the Molpy Down! I loved your molpybunnies. xD
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Man, I take a long weekend off for my birthday and Time comes to an end. I guess I can consider the entire thing one giant birthday present to me, then?

Fittingly, for my birthday vacation I went out to an island that used to be a mountain, after boating across a channel that used to be a valley. (Like twelve thousand years ago, but still).

No way am I catsupping on the fifty pages that have sprung up since I left, but I'll pick up reading here again; if there's anything in particular I really shouldn't miss, please let me know.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:That said, I'm really hoping Monday's othercomic will be RELATED, but I suspect* it won't be.

If it's not RELATED, we will make it RELATED.

OK, let's go:
1. Time had a total of six words as title-text.
2. Maybe we see here the first part of what ultimately caused the moon to vanish (or did we find another explanation for the missing moon during the Long Night?) and the Mediterranean to dry up.
It's ALL related. (I wish StratPlayer was here now, he'd probably be better in making these connections.)
StratPlayer wrote:
mscha wrote:I wanted to OMR-All-Related-ify the latest OtherComic, but I'm stumped...

Spoiler:

2. The Kerbal Space Program is a space-flight simulator in development by Squad a game development company in Mexico City, Mexico.

3. Mexico City was built from the ashes of the Aztec city Tenochtitlán, destroyed by Hernan Cortes in 1521.

4. 1521 is also the year that the Edict of Worms was issued by the Holy Roman Emporer Charles V, declaring Martin Luther a heretic.

5. The Edict of Worms was issued during the Diet of Worms in Worms, Germany, where "diet" refers to a general assembly of Imperial Estates of the Holy Roman Empire. It does not refer to any culinary or nutritional choices by the assembly.

6. However, while it is true that humans CAN eat worms, it is much more likely that worms become parasites of humans -- these are the parasites known as the helminths.

7. The study of parasitic worms is called helminthology, and has a long history. One author, David L. Grove wrote a book about it called "A History of Human Helminthology" in 1990.

8. David L. Grove was also the name of a Pennsylvania Game Commission Wildlife Conservation officer shot and killed in the line of duty on November 11, 2010 as he was investigating night-time poaching.

9. The officer David L. Grove also wrote an article in about the dangers of night-time poaching called "A Shot in the Dark" for the Pennsylvania Game News Magazine available as a pdf download HERE.

10. "A Shot in the Dark" was also the name of a 1964 Blake Edwards Movie, and it was the second installment in the Pink Panther series starring Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau.

11. The Pink Panther was a series of comedy films and a spin-off cartoon featuring a well-known musical theme, composed by Henry Mancini.

12. Henry Mancini was a famous and prolific composer of movie and easy-listening music. He recorded many, many records, including one in 1976, called "Henry Mancini Conducts the London Symphony Orchestra in a Conerct of Film Music", recorded at Abbey Road Studios.

13. Abbey Road Studios was established in 1931 and was the recoding site of many famous records, including Pink Floyd's 1973 album, "Dark Side of the Moon", which has sold over 50 million copies.

14. "Dark Side of the Moon" has several well-known tracks, including two songs that were singles and staples of FM radio -- "Money" and "Time".

15. "Time" was also the title of the xkcd comic #1190, also known as the One True Comic.

Called it! :D

4 OTThercomicification, Whizbang!

I liked the two poems3 in the OneTruePoetry form, SPACKlick and aeglaeca! That must have been quite difficult!

And thank you again for the Book of Aubron, Aubron!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:22 pm UTC

ttscp wrote:
Spoiler:
I want to respond to BlitzGirls question about our most satisfying achievement on/in the thread, but I've also got to comment on the ending and everything else that's happened.

Let me say, at the start, I don't think the OTT is going to end. I'm happy about that, because there is something wonderful about this community over and above the creative, analytical and sometimes just plain craziness that we've accomplished here. There are a few other long lived threads on the internet that started in much the same way this one did. No, not as an xkcd comic thread, but as a discussion on a topic, which just kept going. We even found and discussed some of them (the OTT is what the first part of understanding everything looks like). If they can do it, so can we.

I've got a few achievements that aren't my most satisfying, but still rate high. The first is identifying the comic as a story. I'm not sure if I was the first (probably not), but after I posted my first literary analysis, the discussion seemed to focus more around the story concept. Not everyone agreed, but that's the way we work here.

On that note, although Randall has called it a story in his blag post, an example of what confirms it as a story for me is the final frames. Cuegan start to build a sandcastle on the raft. If it were a glorified what if, there's no need for them to do that.

That same post is where I predicted that Time would end between 3500 and 4200 frames. I was using literary analysis (and some arithmetic) to make that prediction. My prediction was pretty accurate. I agree that the ending was a bit rushed, but that's a characteristic of modern stories. Once you have resolved all the plot questions, you don't linger, you lose your audience otherwise. The rush at the ending may have also been Randall getting tired, as he admits in the blag post.

At the end, I felt the same way when I've read a great novel. Sometimes I even want to plunge back in and start all over again. We may see a sequel, or Randall may do something different, artist that he is, but either way, I have a deep satisfaction from following Time as long as I have.

When it comes to talking about the thread, I never cease to be amazed at how we manage to avoid flames. It takes work sometimes, tempers do flare a little, but we always find ways to work it out. As one of my achievements, I like to think that I've contributed some calm words during some of those episodes, being appreciative of both posters (which is always easy because we've all contributed so much), yet helping to find a bridge between opposing points of view.

But neither of those are the achievement I think is the biggest. The biggest one is simply being here.

As far as I know, nothing like this has ever been done before. I was here before they started building the sandcastle. I had to go look at the fora to find out what was going on. That's a fairly common practice for me, I don't understand xkcd so I go to the fora to see what other people are saying. And there I was, immediately caught up in the whole experience. I delurked around the fading to say that I was satisfied with what had happened to that point, it was already a great experience, and now, some 2400 frames later, I feel even more that way.

But I was witness (as were all of us) to something completely new. There was no way to anticipate where Randall was going with this, there was only the waiting. I saw Al Jarreau before he was well known, but I didn't see him in his really early days. I live near Los Angeles, so I could conceivably see and participate in a lot of new art happenings, but I don't. I didn't even get Umwelt or Click and Drag, the first time through. But I was here when Randall Munroe took the art of webcomics to a whole new place.

As were you. That is something we all share. Future viewers can get a sense of the comic from the viewers or by blitzing the thread and we will welcome them to the thread, because that is who we are, but their experience will be different. We:

Molpy-ed up and down
and, finally,

So true, and so beautiful!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

Caswallon

Postby Caswallon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

Because nothing is off topic: )'(

Any other OTT'ers planning to be at Burning Man this year?

One of my biggest concerns was that the OTC was going to end while I was away on the playa.
histrion wrote:"Gunaxf gb gur Grzcbeny Vyyhzvangv, zl jbex cebqhpgvivgl unf qrpernfrq qenzngvpnyyl! Gunaxf, Rayvtugrarq Barf!"

Precepter and historian of the Chruch of the Newpage. achoo

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

P25: Wow. Absolutely massive spoiler posted by KroniK907! She/He posted the time.png! We were warned about it a few pages before (and apparently there's another coming up), but why didn't she/he remove it?
Spoiler:
KroniK907 wrote:Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

I posted on the One True Blag that I'm going to nominate the OTC for a Best Graphic Story Hugo next year. I encourage all members and supporting members of the 2014 World Science Fiction Convention (Loncon 3) to do likewise when nominations open. (It takes a lot of nominations to get on the ballot.)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:I posted on the One True Blag that I'm going to nominate the OTC for a Best Graphic Story Hugo next year. I encourage all members and supporting members of the 2014 World Science Fiction Convention (Loncon 3) to do likewise when nominations open. (It takes a lot of nominations to get on the ballot.)

Provide a link and I shall : )

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
jovialbard wrote:I should add I never would have played Portal 2 co-op without the OTT! Thanks Valarya! :)

That was so much fun playing Portal 2 with you! Twas my pleasure. I never would have played it without the OTT, either. :D Hopefully you read some of my posts, too. ;)

I never did finish that... I spend far more time mapping than I do playing. Speaking of which...
Spoiler:
He/Him/His Image

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Valarya wrote:

I never did finish that... I spend far more time mapping than I do playing. Speaking of which...
Spoiler:

Sweet. Also, I really need to start playing this. :/

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Valarya wrote:
azule wrote:Please calm down and wait for it. Hope you are feeling better up there in the future.

Oh, Randall... azule doesn't know, does he? :|

:( I guess not - he hasn't blindposted about it yet, or about being spoilered by sigs or anything like that.

Maybe he is sig-blind, like me. My eyes somehow have the ability to automatically skip signatures of posts when reading. But that might be connected to the fact that I often don't even notice who the author of a post is, the content is more important to me than the sender.

Also, hey, I'm here. I narrowly missed seeing t** **d live, just by a couple of hours, and yesterday had little time for ketchup, so I fear not being able to reach the present today.

I'd like to reflect on the fact that I think the OTT has taken on a different feeling now. Perhaps not surprising. I realized at work today that I was missing it in a very different way than ever during the updates, and that I think is because it has now shifted (even more) towards being about *us*. The tribe is becoming tighter. Purer, perhaps. What's crystalizing here is more love than I recall having seen anywhere else. It's such a pleasant place to visit.

If the above sounds like nonsense it's probably just my usual posting curse. Whenever I have written a post in the past any kind of eloquence and wit I might have possessed has evaporated the moment I press Submit. And with it goes much of the meaning of what I was trying to say.

Bah, I'm less sense by the minute here. It's really time to molpy down. Have a nice time of day everyone.

ETA: Just ran into a post by HES which illustrates exactly what it felt like to write this post:

HES wrote:I am so brain dead this evening. I spent half an hour on a 30 second reply which is now not remotely relevant.
I can barely even formulate an octopus.

EMERGENCY SYSTEMS ACTIVATED. ABORT POST. MOLPY DOWN.
Last edited by FullOfIt on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Well folks, for what it's worth, I have pushed out an update to the OTC Live wallpaper to make it relevant again following Friday's event that shall not be named.

It should become available in the next couple of hours.

Changes:

Spoiler:
v1.10 - 2013-07-29 - End of Time update

- Added ability to loop through time, no longer stuck on final frame.
- Added user preference to loop or display static frame.
- Added user preference to choose interval between frames if looping.
- Added user preference to select the current frame (heretical numbering).
Last edited by Wildhound on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

Bad Hair Man

Postby Bad Hair Man » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

udscbt wrote:Image
Boril wrote:I'm convinced they're building a ship. The poles are going to be masts, soon sails will be attached, and when the liquid rises too much Megan and Cueball will sail away into a monochromatic sunset aboard their caffeinated ooblek ship and live happily ever after.

This is from page 270. Megan and Cueball have just raised the first platform onto the four poles Megan erected and the thread is all abuzz speculating on just what they're making. (Before the fourth pole went up a lot of people seemed to be hoping for a bigger treebucket, but that idea's time has passed.)

Boril here was not the first person to speculate on ship building, but this was his first, and so far only post, and I wanted to share how remarkably prescient it turned out to be. (Although the masts/sails bit was entirely wrong.)

In other news, I'm up to page 270 out of 1299 pages now! 20.8% finished! Woo-hoo! Hopefully with the coming of "The end." things at your end of the Time thread will be slowing down enough for me to eventually catch up. (In like, only sixteen months or so.)

Note to self: when you read this post, note whether more or less than sixteen months have passed since I posted it. (See, my logic is as follows: four months have now passed (April, May, June, July; remember, Time started a week before April 1) since the beginning of Time, and I'm 20% done. Ergo it should take me four times that long to read the remaining 80% of this thread.)
HAL9000 wrote:The Passover bunny walks on water! So he be an representation of Horus!

fatness

Postby fatness » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Had time to kill during a big database update so I tossed this together:

Timewaiter
Spoiler:
Timewaiter, he was a Timewaiter
Happier than you and me
And it determined what he could see

One newpixel too many

And he wore a hat
And he had to ketchup
And he brought home the molpies
So that no one knew

That he was a Timewaiter, Timewaiter
His friends were unaware
Time's end had him scared

One newpixel, too many
Blurred words were all he could see

And he wore a hat
And he had to blitz
So that no one knew

He was a Timewaiter, Timewaiter
Happier than you and me

One newpixel, too many

And he wore a hat
And he had a job
And he woke up the molpies
In the comfy chair

Ottified from Mongoloid, With no apology whatsoever to Jerry Casale and Devo.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:Well folks, for what it's worth, I have pushed out an update to the OTC Live wallpaper to make it relevant again following Friday's event that shall not be named.

Changes:

Spoiler:

I'm not a user of this (sorry, I don't have a smartphone or other device that could use it), but it seems like an option to display a random frame would be wanted as well.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

fatness wrote:Had time to kill during a big database update so I tossed this together:

Timewaiter
Spoiler:
Happier than you and me

One newpixel too many

And he wore a hat
And he had to ketchup
So that no one knew

His friends were unaware

One newpixel, too many

And he wore a hat
And he had to blitz
So that no one knew

Happier than you and me

One newpixel, too many

And he wore a hat
And he had a job
In the comfy chair

Haha, I can so hear it in my head too! Great work!

Wildhound wrote:Well folks, for what it's worth, I have pushed out an update to the OTC Live wallpaper to make it relevant again following Friday's event that shall not be named.

Changes:

Spoiler:

:D SWEET! Updating now! Thank you!

Wildhound

Postby Wildhound » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I'm not a user of this (sorry, I don't have a smartphone or other device that could use it), but it seems like an option to display a random frame would be wanted as well.

Yes that is a good idea, and something I had planned to add but it slipped my mind! I will add it if people are still actually using the wallpaper.

Opiboble wrote: :D SWEET! Updating now! Thank you!

:o I don't think you can update yet, is usually takes a couple of hours. But if you can, then 4!
Now and forever, a staunch TimeKeeper amongst heretics.

OTC Android Live Wallpaper

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

Opiboble wrote:
CasCat wrote:I posted on the One True Blag that I'm going to nominate the OTC for a Best Graphic Story Hugo next year. I encourage all members and supporting members of the 2014 World Science Fiction Convention (Loncon 3) to do likewise when nominations open. (It takes a lot of nominations to get on the ballot.)

Provide a link and I shall : )

You have to be a member or a supporting member of the convention. This is not, alas, free.

http://www.loncon3.org/

But there are enough science fiction fans on this needle-pulled-thing that I'm hoping I'm not the only LonCon member here...

(I should note that members and supporting members of Worldcon have in the past and therefore will presumably in the future, at the various publishers' discretion, receive copies of most or all of the Hugo nominated works in electronic format; including novels, novellas, novelettes, short stories, Campbell nominees, and so on, and so on. Well worth the membership price to me....)

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Man, I take a long weekend off for my birthday and Time comes to an end. I guess I can consider the entire thing one giant birthday present to me, then?

Fittingly, for my birthday vacation I went out to an island that used to be a mountain, after boating across a channel that used to be a valley. (Like twelve thousand years ago, but still).

No way am I catsupping on the fifty pages that have sprung up since I left, but I'll pick up reading here again; if there's anything in particular I really shouldn't miss, please let me know.

Happy birthday and welcome back! The OTT is still going strong, so we'll be here when you are all keught up!

I will definitely be nominating Time, and xkcd, for as many awards as is applicable.

@Wildhound I do not know which I would prefer: a mobile wallpaper that cycles through Time sequentially, or one that chooses random frames.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Also

Woah, extremely awesomeful and treeish Whizbang! I especially like your take on redundakitty. :D

smolloy wrote:P22 -- we have our first manip!
Spoiler:
Wnderer wrote:
time.jpg
It's really cool if you zoom out.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=840#p3303736

Wow, I would have never seen that first manip-of-many-to-come if smolloy weren't Blitzing and posting. Thanks smolloy (and a very very belated thanks to Wnderer).

FullOfIt wrote:My eyes somehow have the ability to automatically skip signatures of posts when reading. But that might be connected to the fact that I often don't even notice who the author of a post is, the content is more important to me than the sender.

Me too. Someone will put up a cake for a certain members post-count and I realize, every time, I don't even look at post counts. Sometimes I even have to scroll back up to see who wrote the thing I'm reading. And I never ever look at signatures. Not on purpose, my eyes just completely ignore them by default. Glad this isn't just me. :oops:

FullOfIt wrote:(the OTT) has now shifted even more towards being about *us*. The tribe is becoming tighter. Purer, perhaps. What's crystalizing here is more love than I recall having seen anywhere else. It's such a pleasant place to visit.

Isn't it? And I agree completely. Image

ttscp wrote:<huge snip>
Molpy-ed up and down
and, finally,

Beautiful post, ttscp. <3

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Added a new OTColored frame, because I felt like doing some crazy coloring (just as therapeutic as when I was five years old...)

Spoiler:
Original (2235):

Colorbazooka (click for larger version):

Okay, wow... that's a... wow. Damn.

rvloon

Mail to GLR

Postby rvloon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

This is what I tried to sent to GLR earlier (before the Blag post):

Dear Mr Munroe,

First of all, thank you for your #1190 xkcd comic, Time. I was a little surprised at the fairly abrupt ending of it, but I can understand that maintaining it was just more than your workload would allow, especially with the fairly limited audience (as opposed to your regular xkcd-ings).

As you know, there has been quite a community that was thrown into various degrees of despair when Time ended. A few questions:

- would you mind sharing a little bit of behind the scenes of what went into the making of Time, planning it and creating it, maybe in a live Q&A session on IRC or elsewhere? I am sure quite a few of us would appreciate a little insight in your intentions and thoughts along the way?
- would you mind sharing the original artwork? There are several people interested in a coloring project, an annotation projects, T-shirts and other associated merchandise, a book, and a myriad of other things. The original artwork is higher in resolution and therefore would lend itself more to production of these and other artifacts. I would imagine that physical artifacts could generate (maybe even substantial) revenue.
- would you be up for a repeat experience in the future?
- what did you think of all the creativity that sprung up around this project? Did you follow any of it? Any particular favorites or things you didn't like?

I would appreciate your time in answering.

Respectfully,

Ronald van Loon (rvloon on the xkcd-fora)
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
rcrowell wrote:What I need is an animated GIF of the starry night that starts before it becomes obvious what is happening and ends after the last stars have completely faded from view. I recall that somebody posted such an animation about halfway through the night, but I don't think anybody generated one covering the whole sequence from before sunset to after sunrise. If I'm wrong, can one of you kindly point me to the GIF? If I'm right, can one of you help out by generating the GIF for me?

That was me, and the completed GIF is:
ImageIt's not exactly what you want, though. Unfortunately, I don't have time in the next few days to make a new one – I'm spending more time here than I can afford already.

Oh well, did it anyway.
Here's an animation of the entire ‘scene’ where the Long Night took place, from the unprocessed original frames. (So no gamma tweaks et al.) Note that the fading started a few frames earlier on the previous scene, but I haven't included those. Also, the sunrise completed a while before they left the scene, so it might be longer than you want. If so, just cut 'em off.
It's a bit largish - 3 MB.

That's really wow, mscha. Thanks for taking the time to do that!

And CasCat, thanks for sending that PM to smolloy. We definitely still want to encourage the blitzers.

neopifex wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

:D Nice! Where do I get one?!

That... that is too awesome. I always prefer shirts with small graphics, but I would make an exception for this. The original colorization was amazing, too. Very treeish work, Blitzgirl.

What neopifex said. I wonder if Randall would be willing to sell a shirt like that? If the OTT helped him set it up, however that happens?

Opiboble wrote:
Spoiler:
k.bookbinder wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

ETA: And of course my trek-pack with 3 weeks of food : )

Never done geocaching, but 'm ready to start. Let's go!

richP wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Spoiler:

Just one question: when do I hit "play" on my Dark Side of the Moon CD to make it sync up with the OTC?

For stratplayer. :shock: that is..wow...how did you... :shock:
For RichP, I'm trying that when I get home. :)

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Redundant Kitty.png

Entertainment.png

I don't know which made me laugh more, the first comic or the redundant one.

Edited, because after 300+ plus posts I still 1) can't use Preview and 2) can break the forum. Sorry!
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

CasCat

Re: Mail to GLR

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

<deleted post because I didn't read carefully enough> :oops:

Anyway, I encourage people to think up and post other awards we can nominate Time for.
Last edited by CasCat on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Re: Mail to GLR

Postby Opiboble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:This is what I tried to sent to GLR earlier (before the Blag post):

Dear Mr Munroe,

First of all, thank you for your #1190 xkcd comic, Time. I was a little surprised at the fairly abrupt ending of it, but I can understand that maintaining it was just more than your workload would allow, especially with the fairly limited audience (as opposed to your regular xkcd-ings).

As you know, there has been quite a community that was thrown into various degrees of despair when Time ended. A few questions:

- would you mind sharing a little bit of behind the scenes of what went into the making of Time, planning it and creating it, maybe in a live Q&A session on IRC or elsewhere? I am sure quite a few of us would appreciate a little insight in your intentions and thoughts along the way?
- would you mind sharing the original artwork? There are several people interested in a coloring project, an annotation projects, T-shirts and other associated merchandise, a book, and a myriad of other things. The original artwork is higher in resolution and therefore would lend itself more to production of these and other artifacts. I would imagine that physical artifacts could generate (maybe even substantial) revenue.
- would you be up for a repeat experience in the future?
- what did you think of all the creativity that sprung up around this project? Did you follow any of it? Any particular favorites or things you didn't like?

I would appreciate your time in answering.

Respectfully,

Ronald van Loon (rvloon on the xkcd-fora)

Do a bit of editing and send it to him anyway : ) Maybe he would do a Q&A still, or get a few other questions out of the way. But I think it is a good idea. : )

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:
taixzo wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
After the frame-that-we-don't-mention, there were five more ‘epilogue’ frames, frame 3090 through frame 3094; which I shall refer to as A through E.
After these five frames appeared, we no longer got any newpix (Image), but we did get, seemingly random, a different one of these five ‘epilogue’ frames (almost) each hour.
I've been keeping track of those, and after frame 3094, the following frames have appeared:

Code: Select all

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBA
Spoiler:
I've split them up in chunks of 24, so you can see the pattern. It looks like, apart from the very first one, we get the same sequence every day.
As you may recall, the hour after np3094, we got C (as listed above), but an hour later this stayed at C, and only 8 minutes later this was changed to D. So it looks like the current logic was put in place at that time.

Even that daily sequence doesn't look quite random: for instance, it contains EDCBA twice. That could be a coincidence, although that doesn't seem likely. (But humans are very good at determining ‘randomness’ of such a sequence.)

In conclusion, we're looping! We can now predict the frames that will be shown on the OTC forever, or at least until the GLR (or one of His minions) changes it again.
The schedule is:

Time in UTC (Randall Daylight Time): frame (link)
02:00 (10 pm): E (frame 3094)
03:00 (11 pm): D (frame 3093)
04:00 (12 am): C (frame 3092)
05:00 (1 am): B (frame 3091)
06:00 (2 am): A (frame 3090)
07:00 (3 am): E (frame 3094)
08:00 (4 am): C (frame 3092)
09:00 (5 am): D (frame 3093)
10:00 (6 am): A (frame 3090)
11:00 (7 am): E (frame 3094)
12:00 (8 am): D (frame 3093)
13:00 (9 am): C (frame 3092)
14:00 (10 am): B (frame 3091)
15:00 (11 am): A (frame 3090)
16:00 (12 pm): E (frame 3094)
17:00 (1 pm): D (frame 3093)
18:00 (2 pm): C (frame 3092)
19:00 (3 pm): C (frame 3092)
20:00 (4 pm): D (frame 3093)
21:00 (5 pm): C (frame 3092)
22:00 (6 pm): B (frame 3091)
23:00 (7 pm): A (frame 3090)
00:00 (8 pm): B (frame 3091)
01:00 (9 pm): A (frame 3090)
Therefore, I propose a new form of poetry. (No idea what to name it.)
Meter can be anything, but it contains 24 lines, and the rhyme scheme is EDCB AECD AEDC BAED CCDC BABA.

Cueball and megan went wandering
Along and up to the top
They met a town full or beanies
And learned of the great flood
Spoiler:
Away, Away they must run
No longer time for meandering
For rushing in are the deep seas
And their waters will not stop

The journey up wonder and fun
But their friends below, now plundering
Will be washed away like the sop
and no-one will hear their pleas

The water will turn their land to mud
and put an end to every one
The steep slopes no longer hampering
an injured leg won't make them hop

For the hill people, all of them meanies
And the molpys from large ones to weanies
are endagered by waves non stop
sea that rises and never recedes......[totally not a forced rhyme]

And raising the hope in their blood
ahead just under the sun
An island surrounded by a wood
At last, all time, is done

Something like that then?

OK, I'm not skilled enough to find so many rhymes in this difficult pattern. But I thought that it might be 4 to combine the new OneTruePoetry form with our beloved double-dactyls5. Hence I present you the following OTPOTTification:
I tried to stay as close to the original content as possible.

Wondering wandering
Cuegan went to the top
Met a town of beanies
Learned of the flood

And away they must run
No time for m'andering
Dangerous-big- deep-sea’s
Waters won’t stop

Summersun molpyfun
Friends below, plundering
Will be wiped just like sop
Unheard their pleas

Sea will turn land to mud
Ending just ev’ryone
Steep-slope-non-hampering
Hurt leg won't hop

Quillbeanies, hillmeanies
Molpies large and weanies
Danger by waves non-stop
From rising seas

Raise the hope in their blood
just ahead in the sun
Island-that’s-more-than-sudd
All time is done
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

lmjb it seems you have some nested [/quote][/spoiler] stuff going on up there. :P

@ the awesomeful poetry people: I don't understand how your meter is EDCB AECD AEDC BAED CCDC BABA related, but I love it anyway!! And to mix it in with my favorite of all time Double Dactyls, Zooman! Neat. :mrgreen:

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

P29, and it's the first time I've noticed mscha posting. Hi there!
Nice prediction by the way... :P

mscha wrote:Looks like things are coming to an end. I'd now guess that there will be only one more update at 11:30 PM EDT, and after that, it's over and comic 1191 is posted.

– Michael

AutoX65Vair

Postby AutoX65Vair » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

Lurker since the beginning of Time and having read at least 50% of the thread as it happened and another 25% on ketchuping, I finally had to post. I feel as though I may have missed an opportunity to be more a part of this awefulsome community. I always told myself I would post in the next 100 frames and then suddenly it was over! So now I must post in the Post-Time instead.
I would like to thank Aubron for his great player that I have been using since it was posted in the forum.
I did create this OTTification of The Beatles’ “Eleanor Rigby” though I couldn’t include as much of the story as I wanted to. I hope it is enjoyed.

Megan and Cueball
Megan and Cueball,
Picked up their packs for adventure where no one had been,
Or so it seemed.
Leaving their castle,
Determined to find out the source of the fast rising sea,
What could it be?

All the rising water, where does it all come from?
All the rising water, this trip shouldn’t take long…

Up river they trekked,
Finding new places and faces and molpys never seen before,
Some to watch out for.
The friendly Beanies,
Can’t understand but help them by taking them to one who can,
Rosetta missed their clan!

All the rising water, flows from a larger sea.
All the rising water, and the Cueganites don’t know to flee.

Ahh, they must run to save the people,
Ahh, they must run to save the people,

Cueball and Megan,
Rush home with the maps to help guide the people safely,
Away from the sea.
Cut off from land now,
The 40 have nowhere to go to excape from the waves,
LaPetit’s raft saves the day!

All the rising water, will carry them who knows where,
All the rising water, they’ll make a new home there.

(Also, much more appreciation to those that have OTTified before me. I have never attempted a lyrical parody before and it's much harder than I anticipated)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:lmjb it seems you have some nested....stuff going on up there. :P

Yep, I fixed it. :oops: It was weird, when I hit "Edit," it added the replies I had saved since then (from Pikrass's script.) Not sure why. But here they are:

ttscp wrote:I want to respond to BlitzGirls question about our most satisfying achievement on/in the thread, but I've also got to comment on the ending and everything else that's happened.

Spoiler:

Molpy-ed up and down
and, finally,

For this, ttscp, I just have to say Thank You.

FullOfIt wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, hey, I'm here. I narrowly missed seeing t** **d live, just by a couple of hours, and yesterday had little time for ketchup, so I fear not being able to reach the present today.

I'd like to reflect on the fact that I think the OTT has taken on a different feeling now. Perhaps not surprising. I realized at work today that I was missing it in a very different way than ever during the updates, and that I think is because it has now shifted (even more) towards being about *us*. The tribe is becoming tighter. Purer, perhaps. What's crystalizing here is more love than I recall having seen anywhere else. It's such a pleasant place to visit.

If the above sounds like nonsense it's probably just my usual posting curse. Whenever I have written a post in the past any kind of eloquence and wit I might have possessed has evaporated the moment I press Submit. And with it goes much of the meaning of what I was trying to say.

Bah, I'm less sense by the minute here. It's really time to molpy down. Have a nice time of day everyone.

I think it's a beautiful post.

I havene't uploaded this yet, but I think I'll check it out. Although right now my meowlpy is my wallpaper.

fatness wrote:Had time to kill during a big database update so I tossed this together:

Timewaiter
Spoiler:
Happier than you and me

One newpixel too many

And he wore a hat
And he had to ketchup
So that no one knew

His friends were unaware

One newpixel, too many

And he wore a hat
And he had to blitz
So that no one knew

Happier than you and me

One newpixel, too many

And he wore a hat
And he had a job
In the comfy chair

Ha! Nice ottification.

Valarya wrote:
FullOfIt wrote:My eyes somehow have the ability to automatically skip signatures of posts when reading. But that might be connected to the fact that I often don't even notice who the author of a post is, the content is more important to me than the sender.

Me too. Someone will put up a cake for a certain members post-count and I realize, every time, I don't even look at post counts. Sometimes I even have to scroll back up to see who wrote the thing I'm reading. And I never ever look at signatures. Not on purpose, my eyes just completely ignore them by default. Glad this isn't just me. :oops:

Me too! That's why I was so happy that...whoever it was came up with that neat script to keep the avatar on the screen the whole time.

And I actually hit Preview this time before Submit. :oops:

Edited because I am exceptionally post-challenged today. :( And it didn't like when I quoted Val's post. Maybe this is a sign I should be doing some work instead of posting.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:34 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”