1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

Re: Markov chains, these were the ones I liked especially:

WOnder93 wrote:...

I'm going to build towers, to the thread of Time .

I want to make something like : We can ' t worry , that is nice .

I just don't know if love is making the sky .

Randall can talk openly about the new ONG .

Randall is pregnant and have to translate it !

Randall ' s the hats -- you basically can ' t want the extra .

Randall could theoretically continue changing .

Edit: pope! Decree: double-dactyls! (Because I was busy Blitzing when it happened last time.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Well, I am a big ale drinker and I've recently started brewing mead, so I'd definitely like to give beer a go! I'm just a little daunted by all the different hops and malts and yeasts and things to choose from.

A bit of advice for would-be brewers. All of the instructions you will read will also stress this, but the most important thing in brewing is to have all of your equipment, especially your fermenting jugs CLEAN. CLEAN. Don't compromise on this in any way. Spotless, fungus-less, etc. Make sure your water is as pure as possible, also. Bad things can happen in a two week fermentation cycle if you ignore it. CLEAN.

As for all of the options. Experimentation is good, but start out simple. When you find something you like, you can stick with it or branch out a bit.

Don't add too many "additions". At least at first. Keep it clean and simple. CLEAN.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Ace

Postby Ace » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Ace wrote:Wait More With Feeling

Posting Through The Madness

Spoiler:
LURKER:
Every single frame
The same arrangement
I go out and fight to post
Still, I always feel the strange estrangement
Nothing here is real
Nothing here is right

I've been making shows of making posts
Just hoping no one knows
That I've been posting through the Madness
Walking through the thread
Nothing seems to penetrate my head

I was always brave and kind of righteous
Now I find I'm wavering
Crawl out of lurking
You find this thread just doesn't mean a thing

OTTer:
She ain't got that slang

LURKER:
Thanks for noticing

OTTers:
She is pretty well with trolls from hell
But lately, we can tell
That she's just posting through the Madness (Posting through the Madness)
Faking it some how

MILITANT BLITZER:
She's not even read half the thread...ow.

LURKER:
Will I stay this way forever?
Sleepwalk through Randall's endeavor?

OTTer:
You mean comawalk-

LURKER:
Whatever.
I don't want to be
Posting through the Madness
Losing all my words
I can't even see
If this is really me
And I just want to see
The words!

Based on Going Through The Motions, from Once More With Feeling.

Neat! (as are the others.) I never got into Buffy so I don't actually know Once More With Feeling, but it sounds really fun.

Not sure I'd use that word.. the musical episode was in season six, which was pretty dark for Buffy, really. I'm listening to the soundtrack while I work on these, and realising how not-cheerful it really is.

The musical actually got me into the show, 'haha, a musical episode, how wacky', I love a show that doesn't take itself too seriously. (See also: Most of Stargate, most of Scrubs, most of Doctor Who, etc.) The full effect of it didn't hit me until I'd come back to it after the rest of seasons 1-6. Still! It's something I know well enough to filk, kind of.

Still, most of Buffy (there's that 'most of' again) is pretty fun.
Wait for it.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

WOnder93 wrote:Starting with 'BlitzGirl':
BlitzGirl ' s a fantastic opportunity to implement .

Sure as Sea-rise! Implement away!
My other two favorites:

WOnder93 wrote:Starting with 'Randall':
Randall is a closely guarded secret and <snip>

Starting with 'OTT':
OTT furry and cute .

@Kieryn, Ace, superluminal - Ottifacts.
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:Quick notepad doodle:

Code: Select all

xkcdxkcdxkcd 
    xkcd     xkcd
    xkcd             xkcd  xkcd  xkcd         xkcdxkcd
    xkcd     xkcd      xkcdxkcdxkcdxkcd     xkcd     xkcd
    xkcd     xkcd     xkcd    xkcd   xkcd  xkcdxkcdxkcdxkcd
    xkcd     xkcd     xkcd    xkcd   xkcd  xkcd
    xkcd     xkcd     xkcd           xkcd   xkcd      xkcd   
    xkcd     xkcd     xkcd           xkcd      xkcdxkcd     

Treeish and steakish! :)

Posting Through The Madness
<snip>

Bravo! Image

Valarya wrote:Attaching an OTColorization submission from a de-lurker: superluminal
He hasn't reached 5 posts yet and therefore cannot post images or links and asked, over on the fb group, for someone to share this. What a 4 ottification, superluminal! :D

Wow! Love the watercolor effects!

@Kazza3, mscha: Basementry
Spoiler:
Kazza3 wrote:I was going to pack up and leave now, but I don't like basements, and I spose there's not much point actively quitting. I didn't post much before and so I might as well leave things up and running, and continue not posting much now.

Hmm. I suppose that is acceptable.

mscha wrote:Quick heads-up that I probably won't be in the OTT today and tomorrow. (Yes, I think I'm switching to formerly heretical time units now that “newpix” is no longer meaningful.)
I really, really need to ketchup on my Outside responsibilities, and somehow, when I try to combine ketchups, I end up consuming only the One True one...

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. (BlitzGirl, what are you doing with those ropes?? No really, not necessary.)

Heresy AND disappearing for dips? Image What imposter has replaced our mscha?

k.bookbinder wrote:
karhell wrote:Surely some catastrophic event will have had taken place in the future-present-past. I might actually need a second pair of eyes to read fast enough to find out what happened...

:shock: Does karhell not know? :(

The Sadness! It burns! :cry:

Whizbang wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Redundant:
Spoiler:

Keywords: BGUM t-shirt tee shirt tshirt colorbazooka reversebazooka reverse color bazooka frame lucky manip attack clouds

What witchery is this?

Ah, mustard. That's what I get for copypasting redundant spoiler code - I forgot to update one of the links. Double redundakitty! (Though the first one is a redundaredundakitty...)

Febrion wrote:XKCD comic xxxx: Time Part 2
A simple frame showing Megan and Cueball, perhaps La Petit as well, on a beach. Nothing much happening yet, but we all settle in to a new round of 'wait for it'...
Then someone checks the alt-text:
Spoiler:
Just kidding guys! You really think I'd do another one of these???

Nooo... Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Those are really fun, WOnder93! I'd quite like to know how they're generated though. Any chance you could explain (in terms a complete idiot like me might understand) what a Markov chain is?

You take a body of text and for each word in that text you figure out what words come after it and how frequently. Then you create a new sentence by picking a word and rolling the dice to see what word comes next. Now you have a new word so you repeat until you feel like you've got a pretty good sentence!

So, for example, word in the above paragraph has the words "in", "and", "comes", and "so". If I started a Markov chain based on that paragraph and starting with "word" then it might read something like "Word in..." or "Word and...". Does that make sense?
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:A bit of advice for would-be brewers. All of the instructions you will read will also stress this, but the most important thing in brewing is to have all of your equipment, especially your fermenting jugs CLEAN. CLEAN. Don't compromise on this in any way. Spotless, fungus-less, etc. Make sure your water is as pure as possible, also. Bad things can happen in a two week fermentation cycle if you ignore it. CLEAN.

As for all of the options. Experimentation is good, but start out simple. When you find something you like, you can stick with it or branch out a bit.

Don't add too many "additions". At least at first. Keep it clean and simple. CLEAN.

Well aware of that. Like I said, I've already started doing mead. Everyone emphasises that everywhere, it's impossible to miss.
jovialbard wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Those are really fun, WOnder93! I'd quite like to know how they're generated though. Any chance you could explain (in terms a complete idiot like me might understand) what a Markov chain is?

You take a body of text and for each word in that text you figure out what words come after it and how frequently. Then you create a new sentence by picking a word and rolling the dice to see what word comes next. Now you have a new word so you repeat until you feel like you've got a pretty good sentence!

So, for example, word in the above paragraph has the words "in", "and", "comes", and "so". If I started a Markov chain based on that paragraph and starting with "word" then it might read something like "Word in..." or "Word and...". Does that make sense?

Alright, neat! Thanks.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
cameroda wrote:Nice note in the Washington Post today-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/07/30/a-brief-history-of-time-the-xkcd-comic/?hpid=z11

With links for Mscha and Aubronwood!

Thanks. I thought she captured it pretty well. So Andrea Peterson, are you a timewaiter? If so, reveal yourself.

Hmmmm..... I've discovered an interesting connection of relatedness about our friendly Washington Post blogger:

Spoiler:
1. "A Brief History of Time" was posted today in "The Switch" blog of the Washington Post. The author is listed as Andrea Peterson.

2. According to her Washington Post bio, she also did work for the blog "Think Progress".

3. Her Bio at ThinkProgress indicates that she earned degrees from the University of Kansas.

4. The University of Kansas has many fine academic traditions, including it's own publishing group, now operated in conjunction with other area universities, called the University Press of Kansas.

5. The University Press of Kansas has an extensive catalog of books, including a particularly interesting one covering the wives of Woodrow Wilson called "Ellen and Edith; Woodrow Wilson's First Ladies".

6. It seems that Woodrow Wilson was one of two US presidents to have two wives during his time in office (the other being John Tyler). Woodrow's presidency covered all of World War I.

7. Woodrow Wilson is remembered in multiple historical ways, including being honored in the name of several real high schools, and at least one fictional one set in Seattle, Washington -- the setting of "Life as we Know it"

8. "Life as we Know it" was a teen-drama TV series that originally ran on ABC television in the 2004-2005 season, and starred several young actors, including Chris Lowell, who played Jonathan Fields.

9. Chris Lowell, who's also appeared on "Grey's Anatomy" and it's spin-off, "Private Practice" was born on October 17, 1984.

10. October 17, 1984 is also the very same birthday as Randall Munroe, the creator of the xkcd webcomic, and xkcd #1190, "Time".

:shock:

Coincidence???? I think not!

Clearly, it's ALL related...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

P43: Things are starting to get a little stinky back here in the past :S
mojacardave wrote:I have concerns for my levels of hygiene, malnutrition and sleep-deprivation if this comic does not end soon. A relationship would be a 'thing' too many to worry about!
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

Stinky and lonely, it sounds like...poor smolloy!

Very nice, StratPlayer, though I would have connected Seattle directly to "Grey's Anatomy" and skipped over "Life as we Know it." :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

Per Pope decree:

Blitzity blitzity
ketchupping Timewaters
don't know the OTTers
are holding a wake.

Comfort the blitzers and
characteristic'ly
welcome them Present
with ice cream and cake.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:23 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Very nice, StratPlayer, though I would have connected Seattle directly to "Grey's Anatomy" and skipped over "Life as we Know it." :wink:

Thanks, and you're right -- there's no real Woodrow Wilson High School in Seattle, but there is a Junior High there with that name. But then, I'd also have to have stumbled onto the fact that "Grey's Anatomy" is set in Seattle -- I've never actually watched it.... :shock:

But that's what the fun of these is -- blindly stumbling down random chains of connectedness from two directions and hoping I can get them to meet in the middle somehow... :D
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Very nice, StratPlayer, though I would have connected Seattle directly to "Grey's Anatomy" and skipped over "Life as we Know it." :wink:

Thanks, and you're right -- there's no real Woodrow Wilson High School in Seattle, but there is a Junior High there with that name. But then, I'd also have to have stumbled onto the fact that "Grey's Anatomy" is set in Seattle -- I've never actually watched it.... :shock:

But that's what the fun of these is -- blindly stumbling down random chains of connectedness from two directions and hoping I can get them to meet in the middle somehow... :D

Ah, taking this approach, I see?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

P46: We have our first scene with neither of our heroes present!
patzer wrote:Image
He's gone :(

Things are starting to feel pretty tense in the OTT. People are getting tetchy about the number of times questions are repeated ("Hey! I think there's javascript!"), and there's a big argument brewing about the use of he/she/they when referring to someone whose gender is unknown. Very tense. I hope this isn't the end of the comic!
;)
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

It probably helps that I live in Seattle. And have watched "Grey's Anatomy." :wink:

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I believe that by the next Madness the standard forum filters will have no effect upon us.

You're right - we'll probably just adopt them into the standard OTTish language.

As I read through this needle-pulled-thing, haven't we already? (I also approve of the assumption that we will still be around in a year, though the basement might be a little full)
Maybe the mods should apply our filters to the rest of the fora :twisted:

Oooh, I like that idea. Image

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Because HES gave me the idea, I did a companion to my OTColored ColorBazooka (I call this one the ReverseBazooka):
Spoiler:
:shock: At the start of my ketchup, you posted the embiggened lucky so I did this:
But now;
I might have to have set up a rotation of the three of them... too much awesome to choose!
Thanks Blitzgirl!

Image Wow, neat! You're welcome!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

It probably helps that I live in Seattle. And have watched "Grey's Anatomy." :wink:

That's right.... You've said that before (and I stalked your blog a couple of times, too. But in a totally non-creepy, opposite-of-weird-psycho-crazy-guy way!)

But, hmmmm...... Seattle.... It fits! Maybe you're really Andrea Peterson!!!

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

P47: The birth of a new unit! The SI unit of Time -- the newpix! Here is the first use of the word "newpix" in the OTT. A landmark moment!
Spoiler:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:Okay, so I went to bed last night just as we were completing page 33. I slept quite a bit longer than I expected- musta been a good 18-19 half-hours (I humbly submit that we begin measuring time in "newpix", equal to thirty standard minutes). Anyway, I stayed in bed for almost 20 newpix, and the first thing I did after starting the coffeemaker was open this thread. I didn't wanna open the comic, 'cuz I'd be confused about what I missed- I had to see the gif and read the backstory. So... page 34 had become page 44. Ten pages I had to read. Egad, guys, y'all killin' me. Oh, and I've also started measuring time consumption in "forum pages" as well as newpix. It took me 2 newpix to get through those ten pages, so I was even further behind in the comic. By the time I got almost caught up, y'all were on page 45 instead of 44. By the time I clicked from 43 to 44, page 46 was up. :? C'mon, guys, I gotta get ready for work soon.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Stinky and lonely, it sounds like...poor smolloy!

Very nice, StratPlayer, though I would have connected Seattle directly to "Grey's Anatomy" and skipped over "Life as we Know it." :wink:

Well, IMO the longer the better1. These chains are much more amusing when they ramble all over the place rather than getting straight to the point.

1Do I have to put it in here?2
2That's what he said!
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

That's right.... You've said that before (and I stalked your blog a couple of times, too. But in a totally non-creepy, opposite-of-weird-psycho-crazy-guy way!)

Image Not LaPetite, not Rosetta, not Andrea Peterson...who else am I not being now? I forget.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

No, it's cool. I was the creepy one. http://xkcd.com/314/
-- Charlie Grumbles

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:My other two favorites:

Starting with 'OTT':
OTT furry and cute .

Oh hey, I recognize that one from one of my Double Dactyls! How appropriate since the page pope requested DDactyls here on 130... whatever page we're on! :P An ode to BlitzGirl's and Wizbang's awesomeful OTTing of late.

Blitzitty Wizzitty
you two have charmed us with
talentful filking of
    OTC frames.

Each time you post I get
smiles because I'll see
redundakittycats
    laying in wait.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Image Not LaPetite, not Rosetta, not Andrea Peterson...who else am I not being now? I forget.

I could be Rash and say Chelsea, but that would probably be wrong...

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Errr. That's what Richard Nixon said.
-- Charlie Grumbles

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

P49: As you can see, people are getting dangerously close to heresy here in the deep-past. :S
riverssong wrote:
I WAITED A HALF HOUR FOR ONE DARKENING PIXEL.

In the next newpix we'll begin panning out and to the left, so I hope some of the madness will subside.

PS: An interesting pass-time back here in deep-Time is posting little nonsense updates (millions of posts saying nothing more than "Wait for it") in order to ensure that this thread (not yet called the OTT) beats "Pressures" for the most-posted-on thread in these fora. Seems a little silly now... :D

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

I love this one from the first page:

Exkakx wrote:What an interesting comic. This is probably the most simplistic xkcd yet...

What an interesting quote. This is probably the most beautifully-naive post yet...
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Attaching an OTColorization submission from a de-lurker: superluminal

He hasn't reached 5 posts yet and therefore cannot post images or links and asked, over on the fb group, for someone to share this. What a 4 ottification, superluminal! :D
Spoiler:

REDUNDANT SPOILER
Spoiler:
superluminal colorization.jpg

redundakitty.jpg

That is great! More wonderful contributions from de-lurkers!

StratPlayer wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
cameroda wrote:Nice note in the Washington Post today-

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/07/30/a-brief-history-of-time-the-xkcd-comic/?hpid=z11

With links for Mscha and Aubronwood!

Thanks. I thought she captured it pretty well. So Andrea Peterson, are you a timewaiter? If so, reveal yourself.

Hmmmm..... I've discovered an interesting connection of relatedness about our friendly Washington Post blogger:

Spoiler:
1. "A Brief History of Time" was posted today in "The Switch" blog of the Washington Post. The author is listed as Andrea Peterson.

2. According to her Washington Post bio, she also did work for the blog "Think Progress".

3. Her Bio at ThinkProgress indicates that she earned degrees from the University of Kansas.

4. The University of Kansas has many fine academic traditions, including it's own publishing group, now operated in conjunction with other area universities, called the University Press of Kansas.

5. The University Press of Kansas has an extensive catalog of books, including a particularly interesting one covering the wives of Woodrow Wilson called "Ellen and Edith; Woodrow Wilson's First Ladies".

6. It seems that Woodrow Wilson was one of two US presidents to have two wives during his time in office (the other being John Tyler). Woodrow's presidency covered all of World War I.

7. Woodrow Wilson is remembered in multiple historical ways, including being honored in the name of several real high schools, and at least one fictional one set in Seattle, Washington -- the setting of "Life as we Know it"

8. "Life as we Know it" was a teen-drama TV series that originally ran on ABC television in the 2004-2005 season, and starred several young actors, including Chris Lowell, who played Jonathan Fields.

9. Chris Lowell, who's also appeared on "Grey's Anatomy" and it's spin-off, "Private Practice" was born on October 17, 1984.

10. October 17, 1984 is also the very same birthday as Randall Munroe, the creator of the xkcd webcomic, and xkcd #1190, "Time".

:shock:

Coincidence???? I think not!

Clearly, it's ALL related...

As if it was not wowterful enough that "blitzing" was mentioned in the Washington Post, you made it even better with such a great connection!

@Yappobiscuits I think I may have to compare mead making notes with you some time.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

(Thanks again for the smiley collection, BlitzGirl!)

Again, a seaish amount of ottifications7, both visual and acoustical! You're all awefulsome! Thank you, Actaeus, Ximenez, Kieryn, k.bookbinder, taixzo, StratPlayer, rvloon, SPACKlick, Valarya, Eternal Density, Pfhorrest, and Whizbang for the OTThercomics! And thanks to everyone I might have forgotten.
I just want to comment on some that felt special to me:

BlitzGirl, this is truly amazing. Image
And your original poem is 7terful.

taixzo, Newpix of Love is extremly steakish.

re : T-shirts
yappobiscuits wrote:Molpy molpy molpy molpy t-shirt t-shirt version 2!
Spoiler:

Very treeish!
And richP, your t-shirt findings on amazon were great. :D

For the pope:

Ketchuping frysaucing
It is now clear to me
Here in the OTT
Time will not end

Coloured frames, time-odies
More creativity
Ottificationwise
You are all great.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:I love this one from the first page:

Exkakx wrote:What an interesting comic. This is probably the most simplistic xkcd yet...

What an interesting quote. This is probably the most beautifully-naive post yet...

That post always gives me smile if I stumble onto the first page. I suppose it began our tradition of utterly wrong predictions...
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:@Yappobiscuits I think I may have to compare mead making notes with you some time.

Awesomeful! My first batch, which I started in October, is nearly done, so I'll let you know how it goes!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

smolloy wrote:P49: As you can see, people are getting dangerously close to heresy here in the deep-past. :S
riverssong wrote:
I WAITED A HALF HOUR FOR ONE DARKENING PIXEL.

In the next newpix we'll begin panning out and to the left, so I hope some of the madness will subside.

PS: An interesting pass-time back here in deep-Time is posting little nonsense updates (millions of posts saying nothing more than "Wait for it") in order to ensure that this thread (not yet called the OTT) beats "Pressures" for the most-posted-on thread in these fora. Seems a little silly now... :D

Huh, add pastime to the list of common phrases that I've never applied correctly (I always went with past time). http://grammarpartyblog.com/2012/01/20/ ... s-pastime/
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:Long.mp4

Has all the OTVO audio so far (not much!) plus most of the color frames so far plus I've tried adding a soundtrack to it as well which is the main thing I'm testing. But It's currently just two songs I found mp3's for repeated just as a test case to see if it works or not.

See what you think though. You may want to skip forward to where you know their is audio or color frames because it is 28 minutes long!!!

*wipes tears from eyes*

That was really neat. I watched the first 15 minutes so far (that's all I could get in browser preview), and now I'm downloading the whole thing to watch tomorrow when I'm off work. I'm so excited for the completed OTVO project! Based on this sample, it's going to be even more awefulsome than I imagined.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:26 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Only if the state of being a being I'm used to being while simultaneously being a being that you're being used to me being is itself being wrong :P Being being being.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

That's a genuine storyb, on the genuine site of a genuine newspaper, isn't it? Blitzgirl, you've CRashed the outside press!

bOK, a blag, but shh
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

HES wrote:

That's a genuine storyb, on the genuine site of a genuine newspaper, isn't it? Blitzgirl, you've CRashed the outside press!

bOK, a blag, but shh

It's the Blagocalypse - hop on your raftcastles and float for your lives! :shock:

(RELATED note - CRash is another one of my usernames in various places, as is BlitzCrash.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:

Only if the state of being a being I'm used to being while simultaneously being a being that you're being used to me being is itself being wrong :P Being being being.

Well, now you're just being silly. For the time being you can keep being the time being you've been being for Time, it being the being that becomes you.

Then, later, you can be a rash being and get a handle on becoming the being of Chelsea, which you've been lately, but which is not Chelsea Lately, which requires a Handler, not a handle, although the handle of "Chelsea Lately" could be rashly applied to the being you've been lately, right?

:wink:

(Edited for clarity... Sort of...)
Last edited by StratPlayer on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
Hi y'all,

Quick heads-up that I probably won't be in the OTT today and tomorrow. (Yes, I think I'm switching to formerly heretical time units now that “newpix” is no longer meaningful.)
I really, really need to ketchup on my Outside responsibilities, and somehow, when I try to combine ketchups, I end up consuming only the One True one...

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. (BlitzGirl, what are you doing with those ropes?? No really, not necessary.)

The first message in my OTT ketchup queue is a wowterful OneTrueRhymingScheme poem (Time Has Flown), and there have been many other ⁴ ones.
That makes it extra painful to have to tell you this:
the OTT has stopped looping, it seems. We now have the following pattern, post-np3094:[/spoiler]

Code: Select all

CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBABA
EDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBADB
DEBCEADECACD

That is, since 00:00 UTC (8 pm RDT), the pattern has been broken. Too early to tell if there's a new one.
(No reason to stop rhyming, though. I'd stick with the old pattern until a new one (if any) has been established.)

Talk to y'all in a few days.
[/spoiler]
Molpy down.
Spoiler:

Hmm, seems too patterned to be random, seems to random to be a pattern. GLR is messing with us, the order of the pictures from 21:00 UTC is 01234232104230432104322321010432104230432104322321010432104230432104322321031341240342023

So far their have been 17 A/0s, 14 B/1s, 23 c/2s, 20 D/3s, 15 E/4s
We have never gone from A to A, B to B, D to D, E to E, or from B to E
There have only been 33 of the possible 125 triplets (of which we could have had 87 so far).

Pairs AE, BA and DC account for nearly 40% of pairs...

I've got nothing, it could be random, but the fact that 3 times we get C then C confuses me...

Any of the OTTer geniuses think it might help in solving The Beanish Problem? GLR made quite certain to mention how solvable Beanish is supposed to be, but everyone's assessment so far has been that there's not enough of it to work with, or that a key is needed. Might we have found said (cryptic) key? I leave you to flurry about and search for the answer...
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Only if the state of being a being I'm used to being while simultaneously being a being that you're being used to me being is itself being wrong :P Being being being.

My brain is all a mush after that...

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

Finally got around to this little side project I wanted to start... who ever wanted to be the thimble anyways?

Monomolpy pieces.jpg

Hoping to create more Monomolpy pieces in time...

Redundant:
Spoiler:
kitty.jpeg
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

Neat, schwartzbewithyou! I look forward to the other pieces!

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:Any of the OTTer geniuses think it might help in solving The Beanish Problem? GLR made quite certain to mention how solvable Beanish is supposed to be, but everyone's assessment so far has been that there's not enough of it to work with, or that a key is needed. Might we have found said (cryptic) key? I leave you to flurry about and search for the answer...

While we may not be able to translate it, we still have a pretty good idea of what was being said. At least, enough to understand the story. "Get healing-ointment", for example.
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Hi, all. I'm trying really hard not to get sucked into the OTT right now since I really really REALLY need to get some heretical work down. But I've skimmed through and seen some wowterful things. BlitzGirls, those shirts and yours and other colorizations! Beautiful! And this:

Whizbang wrote:Going for two in a row?
Spoiler:

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The attachment Six Words.png is no longer available

The attachment Redundant Laser.png is no longer available

:lol:

And this:
Spoiler:
Part 1: Posting Through The Madness

Note: I won't be doing I've Got a Theory. Instead see Rule110's excellent version here!

-

The Mustard

MAN:
He took the mustard out!

CHORUS:
He took the mustard out!

I can't really claim credit for this one. (Ninja'd by the original version, SPACKlick, and CasCat.)

-

Under Your Thread

[spoiler]EX-LURKER:
I lived my life in shadow
Never the sun on my face
It didn't seem so sad, though
I figured that was my place
Now I'm bathed in light
Something just isn't right

I'm under your thread
How else could it be
Anyone would notice me?
It's magic, I can tell
How you've set me free
Brought me out so easily

I saw a world analysed
Pixels and charts in the air
I always took for granted
I was the only one there
But your forum shone
Brighter than any of I've known.

I'm under your thread
Nothing I can do
You just took my soul with you
You worked your charts so well
Finally, I knew
Everything I dreamed was true
You made me believe...

OTTers:
Ahhhh, ahhh, ahhh. (etc...)

EX-LURKER:
The stars to the night
I can see you theorise
I'm under your thread
Posting like the sea
Drawn to you so helplessly
I post with every frame
Lost in seaish posts
Peering at baobab trees
You make me complete!
You make me complete
You make me complete

Based on 'Under Your Spell' from Once More With Feeling.[/spoiler]

Nice job, Ace! I missed Rule110's OTTification, since have lots of past stuff to read. I did a version of "I've Got Theory," but I never posted it because I wanted to record it, but I never did, so..I've actually got about 4 filks I've never posted for that reason. Why don't I just post the lyrics, you might ask? I don't know. I'm silly.

Anyway, I see there is a lot of amazing things happening, and tonight I plan to do some mini-blitzing/ketching up.

It looks like buffygirl hasn't come back yet. Weird to think she still might not know. I see that Neil and azule seem to know, now. And the couple of posts I've seen from StratPlayer have made me really sad. In one he said it was his last OTTification! BlitzGirl, have you got him in the basement yet?

OK, off to work. See you all in a few hours. (OK, I've accepted that there are no more newpix. There was a time in the past when the term "timeframe" was being used for hours. That would still work. It kind of makes me sad to see hours and days in the OTT.

Ok, molpy, uh, off to work:

Spoiler:
gopher_working.jpeg

Edited to add: When I'm doing a show, I write the what pitches my timpani are tuned to at the top of the page so I remember where each pitch is. On one page in Les Mis, they're tuned to A, C, and E. So, I have ACE at the top of the page, and it makes me think of "our" Ace. :)

Also, when I see an add for the online shoe store "Zappos," I always read it as "Yappos." :D

Edited twice to fix image. Why do I have so much trouble with images? :(
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”