1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jetpac

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jetpac » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:As an aid in keeping in touch here is a list of the "home" pages of 80, mostly frequent, posters here. I know I've missed many and can update it as needed. It is helpful in finding all the posts of, say, BlitzGirl. I'm especially likely to miss those who haven't appeared for a while. I'll try to add those who post in future and will pick up a few from the list of those present.

enjoy

=== Blindpost from NP 1286/1313 ===

Aww... HAL9000 gets on the list twice, but I don't get once? Yeaaahh I guess that's about right :)

ETA: OMR I'm pope! Blindpope! Alright, my decree (which probably won't be seen by everyone, since there have already been a few posts unwittingly under my popedom)... everybody state your favorite heresy. Do it. It's ok, I'm the pope.
Last edited by jetpac on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:
Oh, dear. Everyone, get ready with the hugs and cake....

(It's always an extra jolt when someone new finds out.)

Cake and hugs are always nice... Thanks...

ETA: Since jetpac might not be issuing a papal decree... As Pope Tempore (*stifled sniffle*) I decree that everybody share some cake!
clockcake.jpg
clockcake.jpg (19.89 KiB) Viewed 17841 times
Last edited by VoronX on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Look out, Pokey, it's the Molpy Catcher!

Postby Flado » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Look out, Pokey, it's the Molpy Catcher!

Greetings from NP832 (unspoilered for general enjoyment)
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

HES

Chirping outside mustard

Postby HES » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:On a more solemn note, things have taken a turn for me financially and I won't be able to spend as much Time with y'all as I used to.
(The Outside can be a chirped up place.)
I'll still be posting and ottifying and such, but probably won't be around as frequently. :(

Oh dear :( The OTT without BlitzGirl would be like the OTT without the OTC... Oh, wait. Chirp.

I wish you the best of molpies out there. I'm currently in the calm-before-the-financial-storm myself; things are going to get interesting in a couple of months
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Aw, I thought it was
Spoiler:

Well, that C&H is awesomeful too, but not exactly the same joke. Still pretty neat. (Even funnier, in fact :P)
superluminal wrote:Per (some ancient) papal decree
Spoiler:

Yay, you can post pics! Treeish one too :mrgreen:
HES wrote:RvB was my immediate reaction, but I had always assumed they stole that from somewhere else, and therefore thought I was wrong.
(The latest season is dragging it's proverbial heels a bit, isn't it? Maybe it's just the contrast to the action of the freelancer arc)

I have yet to start watching the new season! The freelancer arc was so chirpin' epic and exciting though, I'm looking forward to something a bit more laid back now that's concluded.
BlitzGirl wrote:On a more solemn note, things have taken a turn for me financially and I won't be able to spend as much Time with y'all as I used to.
(The Outside can be a chirped up place.)
I'll still be posting and ottifying and such, but probably won't be around as frequently. :(

:( ...Hope you don't post TOO infrequently! BGWS* is a serious affliction in this thread.
Spoiler:

*BlitzGirl Withdrawal Symptoms

Good luck with whatever it is though, hope the situation improves. You'll always be our favourite lightning lass Image Hmm, because we never got your replies from when you were away, I never did get to hear what you thought of that song...
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

OK, either I'm braindead, too tired (bicycled), or there is some sort of forum witchraft going on. I keep thinking I've ketchuped, but then see a reply to a post I missed, scroll up, and see a sea of posts that I never read, read them, reply, and miss another load in post review.

Splarge.

Time to Molpy nom.
Spoiler:
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

superluminal wrote:Per (some ancient) papal decree

Spoiler:
3090ott.png

And superliminal nails it on his/her first image post. Steakish! (i.e., well done.) :)

yappobiscuits wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Here are some colorizations you won't believe.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/3 ... 83840.html
All natural.

So much 4 and 7! Thanks for sharing.
lmjb1964 wrote:Hey, is anyone here familiar with GarageBand? I recorded a song, but I don't know how to make it into an mp3 file.

Share > Export song to disk. :)

I knew you'd have the answer! Thanks, I'll try that.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

superluminal

Postby superluminal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

I'm still thinking about the E**ing (partly because of my recent OTTification) and why I don't/didn't feel (so) sad about it. Some possible explanations:

1.) I wached the final frames "at my own pace" with the geekwagon viewer and had (accidentaly) a good sountrack playing on the background: the beginning of a live recording of Pink Floyd's Time. As I've said earlier, the live recording's cheering crowd was like the hundreds of OTTers experiencing the same Big Moment and that made me feel better - to know that I wasn't alone with this frame.

2.) This is something I really understood only now: the leaves on the trees in the last frames are different than on all other trees we had seen before. These look like new "spring leaves" that trees grow after the winter. It's a new beginning. (I feel strongly about new leaves and spring, because winters can be pretty harsh here in Finland...)

3.) Time didn't end after all. The OTT is still going on, and new wonderful things are created all the time.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:20 pm UTC

Hello,
Spoiler:
HELLO.png
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:24 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Hello,
Spoiler:

I see a little silhouetto of a molpy! Neat ;)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Humorless Redundant Spoiler is Humorless
Spoiler:
Sorry. I just wanted to post this one quick as I head out the door for a long weekend. More good times to come (hopefully) when I get back on Monday.
And what about the stove.png

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Slow day of sadness, as the needle of Time pulls slow, the long scarf's end in sight. A slow day looking on to an empty weekend, for what is the lull of a lull but nothing. A time will come when the present is littered with little but the far flung messages of blitzers from the past. And without sigcouragement who can stand the test of Time? Oh but for now the needle has not stopped. Let sadness not fill you, nor despair. It is not what it once was, and will never be again. It is merely what it is now. A memoriam. We bid farewell to our tribe with ropes and basements, with a madness known only here among us. Will there come a day when I myself no longer type those faithful letters when I first sit for my mornings employment? f-o-r-a. Surely there must, as all Times must end. But we will always have what was, as Time can never be undone, and slowly does the long scarf grow with color and humor and music too. I will type those letters each morning and see what maddened genius brings, until it brings no more. We wait, softly, slowly, ever lovingly, and beautifully still, even here, after the end.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:Slow day of sadness, as the needle of Time pulls slow, the long scarf's end in sight. A slow day looking on to an empty weekend, for what is the lull of a lull but nothing. A time will come when the present is littered with little but the far flung messages of blitzers from the past. And without sigcouragement who can stand the test of Time? Oh but for now the needle has not stopped. Let sadness not fill you, nor despair. It is not what it once was, and will never be again. It is merely what it is now. A memoriam. We bid farewell to our tribe with ropes and basements, with a madness known only here among us. Will there come a day when I myself no longer type those faithful letters when I first sit for my mornings employment? f-o-r-a. Surely there must, as all Times must end. But we will always have what was, as Time can never be undone, and slowly does the long scarf grow with color and humor and music too. I will type those letters each morning and see what maddened genius brings, until it brings no more. We wait, softly, slowly, ever lovingly, and beautifully still, even here, after the end.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Blind Blitzposting 800-809/1312-1314
<What would a Bling Blitzpost look like??? Just wondering>

TheMinim wrote:I am a heretic and need to be punished by chocolate for forgetting. :lol: :lol:

I plead the third.

I plead the fourth. I am so heretical; I need much chocolate.

CHIRP! CHIRP!!!

mscha wrote:It's a tree8?
We must have looped around somehow, and standing above the Baobab grove again.

A tree8 or a waterfall8?W

8Wow! It knows
WWrong! I was off by a factor of 2+. At least 2-4 waterfalls!

spamjam wrote:NOTNEWPIXBOTONG

Is BOTONG overrated as a cosmetic treatment?

CasCat wrote:
VoronX wrote:(Blind post)
Just saw the news! NOOOOOO! It can't be! I am totally freaking out here!!! I was drawn away by hospital visits and other Outside World stuff. Say it isn't so! :~(

Oh, dear. Everyone, get ready with the hugs and cake....

(It's always an extra jolt when someone new finds out.)

It was for me too—but being introverted, I hid it better than others.
Last edited by bmonk on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

Okay, I'm thinking about an idea for a meetup... We're across the world, so I was thinking maybe a 5 city meet, with Skype used to unite the cities.

The 5 places I had in mind were:

USA, west coast (San Francisco?)
USA, east coast (NYC?)
Europe (Marseille. Of course)
South America (?)
australia (?)

Of course the exact locations/cities might be adjusted depending on proximity / level of interest, and maybe we could add one or two more.

For the date, I suggest the anniversary of The End (July 26th 2014) with something like this timing to avoid the 4am curse.

I'm suggesting the end rather than the beginning because July tends to be more a time of year for traveling and such anyway.

Let me know what y'all think. If there isn't too much objection, I will start setting something up more official. The earlier it's planned the better the chance of people showing up IMO
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

Valarya

Re: Thanks for all the fish

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:51 pm UTC

Riverish mini part 3 Image here.
(just got to part 2 of mine in the scheme of things, but now have to leave work)

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Whizbang wrote:
CasCat wrote:Mscha: Request from my-sister-the-lurker: "could you ask mscha if there was a way to have his view have a setting to automatically darken the lightest frames of the fading, and lighten the Long night some, so it would be easier to show people the whole story?"

Also, a box to enter a frame number to jump to would be great. I know I can enter the frame number in the URL, but I like to use my adress bar dropdown as a hidden favorites at work. Not a big deal if you don't, just a request. That or add a link in your list of frames that takes you to the Viewer. Sometimes I am searching for a frame and I know about where/when it is, but not exactly. Clicking an image link, then back, then the next link, then back, and so on in the frame list is tedious. I can jump to the viewer using the URL, but see my previous reason for desiring a jumpbox. I'd like to keep my manually entered URLs to a minimum.

Don't want to put any pressure on mscha, but I do agree with this. I don't memorise frame numbers*, so if I want to find a specific frame I end up having to do a lot of trial and error changing the URL over and over trying to guess the number. Also, it'd be nice if the seaish list of frames was divided into eras, for the same reason. It'd make finding frames a lot easier. I appreciate your work hugely, mscha, but I tend to prefer geekwagon since it has that handy clickable grid for easy navigation.

This is why, when I'm going to a specific frame-number I use mscha... but if I need to flip through quickly, I Aubronwood. The large slider at the bottom of his page is the easiest to quickly navigate the whole thing for me.

Sorry, Image. I still Image you best. Here's a seaish cupcake just for you.
Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

fireball

Postby fireball » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

So...... I really want to blitz. I know, deep down, I don't have the time to blitz, but the temptation is just too great. So, starting tomorrow, I will depart. I know I'm not going to have time to to more than 10 or so pages a dip, and it will probably be the slowest blitz on record. (Can it really be called a blitz if it's slow?) And I know it will be a dirty blitz, since I already know how it turns out. I'd been lurking the forums for some time, occasionally reading a dozen pages or so, and then going away for a while. But I've decided that at the start of the new mip, I'll quit reading the latest pages, and head off for the deep times.

So, tonight I'll pack my b ags and get ready to go. And maybe get to that magical 5 post boundary....

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:A time will come when the present is littered with little but the far flung messages of blitzers from the past.

Hello! I heard that! Explain yourself!&

(Hey, I'm sure there's lots of stuff in the OTT you futurefolk haven't read yet. Now would be the time. I've been blitzing since the Fading, and still have about 500 NP of OTT to read for the first time. I'm sure I'll be moved to comment on some of that stuff. Not much. Perhaps not very witty. But litter!?)

Also, I think we should help BlitzGirl (and other OTTers who need help). IRL.
---
& Do try not to take me too seriously. I'm mostly trying to be funny here.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

fireball wrote:So...... I really want to blitz. I know, deep down, I don't have the time to blitz, but the temptation is just too great. So, starting tomorrow, I will depart. I know I'm not going to have time to to more than 10 or so pages a dip, and it will probably be the slowest blitz on record. (Can it really be called a blitz if it's slow?) And I know it will be a dirty blitz, since I already know how it turns out. I'd been lurking the forums for some time, occasionally reading a dozen pages or so, and then going away for a while. But I've decided that at the start of the new mip, I'll quit reading the latest pages, and head off for the deep times.

So, tonight I'll pack my b ags and get ready to go. And maybe get to that magical 5 post boundary....

Don't forget to write us in the Future about what's going on in the Past! And have fun on your slow-Blitz!)

(I've sent this via PM, too, since I'm not sure Fireball will come back to see this before starting the Blitz)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

I colourized m2330. Full seaish version in the spoiler. Hopefully the colours aren't terrible, my monitors aren't calibrated.

Spoiler:
2330colouredsmallrgb.jpg
m2330 coloured small

2330colouredrgb.jpg
m2330 coloured seaish

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Okay, I'm thinking about an idea for a meetup... We're across the world, so I was thinking maybe a 5 city meet, with Skype used to unite the cities.

USA, east coast (NYC?)
South America (?)
australia (?)

Of course the exact locations/cities might be adjusted depending on proximity / level of interest, and maybe we could add one or two more.

For the date, I suggest the anniversary of The End (July 26th 2014) with something like this timing to avoid the 4am curse.

It'd be fun to do, but I've got a feeling that by the time that date comes around next year, a lot of people will have forgotten or lost interest.

That said, I'm near San Francisco, so it'd be awesome if we had a meetup here. :)
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

fireball

Postby fireball » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:(I've sent this via PM, too, since I'm not sure Fireball will come back to see this before starting the Blitz)

No, I'll see it tonight -- I'll depart in about 6 hours or so. I do want to get up to the 5 posts before I go, so I can have a sig. I just hope this thread isn't padlocked or filled with moldy cake by the time I return....
10 pages in 3 days....it's going to be a while.

Target: NP1315 by 2014!

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

fireball wrote:So...... I really want to blitz. I know, deep down, I don't have the time to blitz, but the temptation is just too great. So, starting tomorrow, I will depart. I know I'm not going to have time to to more than 10 or so pages a dip, and it will probably be the slowest blitz on record. (Can it really be called a blitz if it's slow?) And I know it will be a dirty blitz, since I already know how it turns out. I'd been lurking the forums for some time, occasionally reading a dozen pages or so, and then going away for a while. But I've decided that at the start of the new mip, I'll quit reading the latest pages, and head off for the deep times.

I am in the same quandry. 500 or so pages back, and only able to blitz 8-10 or so pages in a sitting. :(
But still I blindly blitz.

And, according to the stats, this is my 40th post in the OTT. When does one become an official OTTer?

Edit: at least I am (momentarily) back under 500 pages back. . . . This slo-blitzing is taking a while. . . .

Re-Edit: (From page 811) Is the wowterfall12, or the canyon12?

12deep
Last edited by bmonk on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:27 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

marchlight wrote:
Spoiler:
I colourized m2330. Full seaish version in the spoiler. Hopefully the colours aren't terrible, my monitors aren't calibrated.

[spoiler]
2330colouredsmallrgb.jpg

2330colouredrgb.jpg

Nice work, marchlight!
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:08 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:Okay, I'm thinking about an idea for a meetup... We're across the world, so I was thinking maybe a 5 city meet, with Skype used to unite the cities.
Spoiler:

USA, east coast (NYC?)
South America (?)
australia (?)

I'm suggesting the end rather than the beginning because July tends to be more a time of year for traveling and such anyway.

Let me know what y'all think. If there isn't too much objection, I will start setting something up more official. The earlier it's planned the better the chance of people showing up IMO

I seriously doubt I'd be able to make it to a meetup, unless my financial situation changes drastically by next year (unlikely). Unless it was here in the UK (also unlikely.) But don't let me stop you!
bmonk wrote:When does one become an official OTTer?

As soon as one begins lurking, I would say!
marchlight wrote:
Spoiler:

I colourized m2330.

Beautiful! :mrgreen:

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:I'm not arrogant enough to think I can substitute my decisions for his (and I have more than a few nano-Dijkstras, myself).

and then you went on to say:

charlie_grumbles wrote:ETA. @fatness and Neil_Boekend were mostly right above and rvloon was almost entirely wrong. Sorry. You (rvloon) seem to be saying you can substitute your judgement for GLR's and make that ok with a few bucks.

Well, no, that's not what I said. What strikes me as odd is that you do not think yourself arrogant enough to substitute your decisions for Randall Munroe, but apparently are wise/infallible enough to decide that what I wrote is wrong. And that, kind sir, I find more than a little bit irritating. You are entitled to your opinion (you are not a lawyer, so it is not knowledge, but your understanding of what copyright law and creative licensing is, just as it is mine), and, hopefully, I am entitled to mine. The mutual entitlement to our opinions is what constitutes respect and allows civil discussion. By the way you are stating it, you are (seem to be) confusing your opinion with actual fact and that is a slippery slope to flame wars (or xkcd-comics: "Someone on the Internet was wrong!"). I felt disrespected.

To me, it is fairly simple:

XKCD is Randall Munroe's creation. He applies to his work a CC license, demanding attribution and non-commercial use, and allowing derivative works (colorization, ottification, all included). It is all there in the license.

In my example, I say that if you print one on a T-shirt, there is no profit made by anyone on this particular artwork. You get the enjoyment from something you apparently have enjoyed immensely. The same applies to printing two, three etc. until you reach a certain threshold: at some point there is no plausible way of denying that the print shop benefited from the artwork being popular and that therefore the commerciality clause comes into play, albeit indirectly. If you sell the shirts printed, you are directly benefiting from Randall's artwork which is by definition commercial. So, a one-off: not a problem. You can see that from Randall's own words (on his license page) and from the license itself.

BTW, your comparison to Bieber is completely irrelevant (in my opinion, of course - yes, I can use strong language too! :) ) Bieber is not licensed under CC, so there's no common base for comparison.

Now, there is a moral implication. You seem to think that Randall should be involved in what one does with his artwork - however, by allowing his work to be used under license, Randall has already stated what he wanted done with his work.

Note that I never said that he should not benefit from his own artwork on a T-shirt. However, there is no legal obligation, as Randall waived that by putting his work under license. If, however, he sells exactly the same T-shirt design as you printed, then that's a whole different story, because presumably that is a different work with possibly different licensing.

Also note that I do not want to enter in a discussion on how much things need to be different - if he sells a similar (for very large values of similar) one, then we should get one from him. But he doesn't. And currently has no intention of doing so. So my suggestion is: he doesn't want our money (yet). We want to show our appreciation. So we donate and enjoy our one-off shirt, polo, mug, whatever, and share the design so he even has the benefit of using it later, if he so chooses. Win-win.

Finally, please note that I also said, when in doubt, ASK RANDALL. However, for a one- (or smallish number) Randall's intentions were already clear, and he even was explicit about not having immediate plans for T-shirts at this stage.

And that's basically all I wanted to say about the topic.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

OMR, the dialoguifications4 and OTColourifications7 keep coming and coming! :D
Thank you, Whizbang, charlie_grumbles, Valarya, superluminal, schwartzbewithyou, marchlight, NoMouse, and MajorDouble7!
You're all awefulsome!

ucim wrote:
MajorDouble7 wrote:
Spoiler:
Is it just me, or does this look like the two eyes of a keyboard lying down and watching me? Awesome!

I'm not sure about the keyboard, but I definitely see a raptorraptor1 (would that be a redundaraptor?) (green, with black legs and a reddish eye) entering the frame on the right. :shock:

Rule110 wrote:(And for a t-shirt)
"Megan and Cueball went to Image and all I got was this lousy t-shirt and some maps in your pants.

FTFY.

neopifex wrote:This person is working on it and has been writing blog posts about it: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/

Thanks for pointing out this thorough, ongoing analysis3. I'd like to contribute to deciphering Beanish, but that's way beyond my skills. But I'm excited to see further results! *waits for it*

@BlitzGirl: Hugs, good luck, and a cake:
Spoiler:

fireball wrote:I know I'm not going to have time to to more than 10 or so pages a dip, and it will probably be the slowest blitz on record. (Can it really be called a blitz if it's slow?)
fireball wrote:I just hope this thread isn't padlocked or filled with moldy cake by the time I return....

Maybe it's a thunder? And I totally read that as molpycake...

P.S.: On the CC license discussion:
BlitzGirl wrote:Don't Worry; Feed Squirpys
Spoiler:
(to the tune of Don't Worry; Be Happy)
Here is a little song I wrote
Feel free to make a quote
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.

In every thread we have some trouble
If you start flaming you make it double

Don't worry; feed squirpys!

Those angry words run through your head
Somebody bugs you on the Thread

A poster throws out some flamebait
Need to coma 'cause it's getting late
(Look at that great squirpy.)
(Here I give you Present Present
When you worry read it
It make you happy)

Can't find a way to load that file
No newpix for a little while
But don't worry. Feed squirpys.

Cause when you worry
You might fall down
And that will crumble castle-town
So don't worry. Feed squirpys.
(Don't worry; feed squirpys now!)

There is this little song I wrote
Feel free to make a quote

Listen to what I type
In every thread we have some trouble
If you start flaming you make it double
Feed squirpys now!

(Don't worry, don't flame it, feed squirpys
Put a smile on your face
Don't light everybody up like this
Don't worry, it'll soon be a pastpost, way back in Time)
Don't worry; feed squirpys.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I see a little silhouetto of a molpy!

Trebuchet, trebuchet will it wreck the sand castle?
He/Him/His Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Mustard! Chirping mustard! Chirpety chirp CHIRP!

Randalspeed in your reBlitz, Blitzgirl. Run well!

Exodies wrote:You can also declare yourself pope of any position on the page (I choose somewhere around nearer the bottom than the middle) and make decrees. Being a middle child of three, I have an aversion to firsts, lasts, round numbers, "special occasions", rules, customs, traditions, habits, protocols, diplomatic work-arounds, etc. etc.

This would violate the newpost-detection protocols which are the primary reason for the traditional first post habits. Customs like the goated last and round number special occasions are less important. If everybody stuck to the rules we wouldn't need diplomatic work-arounds...

{P1168}
Traditions are solutions to problems we no longer have.
We do have the problem of new-poster detection.
All the work you put into your post, with the many colour changes. I guess you're not working on an iGadget. And they are invisible colours too; good man.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

@fierball - Blitzing is a noble calling, and always will be.. It matters not whether or not you know how it turns out. All that matters is that you be pure of heart, feel the void in your very inner being that can only be filled by drinking from the One True Thread, and set off to fill yourself with the wonder of the creation of the creation of the One True Author. The OTT will be here and lively, awaiting your Glorious Return. And if there's anything we're good at, it's waiting for it!

@BlitzGirl - I hope your financial turn is for the better (as in more paying work, and thus less free time). Yes, the outside is heretical, but as the teachings of the Holy Contradiction show, that makes it inevitably necessary. We will miss you, and I personally will miss you.

Now, those ropes, they're not too tight around your ankles and wrists, are they? No, they won't come off. Not ever! But don't worry, there are plenty of people to play with down here, and lots of chocolate, and the foam maiden... I hear it's a little kinky - I think you'll enjoy it here!

(I never thought I'd have to tie BlitzGirl up in her own basement!)

Yes, a real meetup could be fun. As the photographer said, let's see what develops.

(ouch!)

bmonk wrote:And, according to the stats, this is my 40th post in the OTT. When does one become an official OTTer?
As soon as you feel at home here, you're one of us. And I think that was long ago!

And let's not let the discussion of law divide us or distract us from our One True Path, and that is, to Wait For It. Even after the end of Time, we must keep the Faith, and always remember, and live by, the Prayer of BlitzGirl:
Spoiler:
I have seen many wonders on my Quest, and this I have learned: Time is not absolute. Though dedicated forum-dwellers may debate names to a Period fresh to their eyes, a weary wanderer may come to the same TimeFrame many longpix later seeing it as but a flash in the long, long thread of Time. While some among us hold fast to the heels of the Now, posting with immediacy and brevity, there are still others at the same moment following 10 newpages back, or 50, or 300. Those of us who experienced the great Fading in real-Time have shared an experience those that follow will never quite match, just as we ourselves cannot comprehend the madness that struck in the early quickpix, or during the Madness itself.

Yet these divisions do not separate us, but make us more powerful. As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together - whatever Time we may travel, whatever sect we may splinter, whatever graph or song or hat we share - we are not alone. For though Time may scatter us among the pastposts and the Present, in the end, it is also what brought us to this mad, mad, glorious home in the first place.
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Hello,
Spoiler:
HELLO.png

Should this not be "... Is there anybody... OUT THERE?"

marchlight

Postby marchlight » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Thanks neopifex, yappo, and zooman <3

I loved all the comic manips from the last couple pages, that was a great pope decree. schwartzbewithyou, stratplayer, charlie_grumbles, whizbang, and everyone, they were great :D

Blitzgirl: best of luck! Glad to hear you won't be leaving us completely. *keeps chains nearby just in case*

NoMouse wrote:Another OTColor...ation? ...ization? ...ification?

Brilliant! I love how you did the river.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Aw nuts! I had thought that I had posted two newpages back, but apparently I did not. Such things do happen when fires start at work (I mean a crisis, not a literal fire). I was going to request that we ready a spoon and bring a tub of cake and a slice of ice cream for VoronX, but I suppose that is no longer needed.

@whizbang Your frame OTTifications are brilliant!

@Blitzgirl I do hope things turn out OK for you. Whether you need cheering up, or just some friendly faces to share your troubles with, you know where to go *cue Cheers theme*

@cellocgw Same goes for you. Be sure to pop in now and again. Plus, we can stalk you on FB.

I think there was more but I am trying to eat dinner so I am skipping some comments. And it is tough to acknowledge all the great OTTifications from everyone else. :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

I feel awful. For the first time in nearly 600 posts, I posted somewhere other than the OTT. For only my third Outside post since I joined the fora, I posted on yesterday's What If? (A day and a half since it went up, and not even a full page of posts? What's wrong with those people?) It actually made my stomach hurt to hit "Submit"; I feel like a traitor, like BlitzGirl's molpy army should come and trample me. But I couldn't help it ─ someone was wrong on the internet!

USA, east coast (NYC?)
South America (?)
australia (?)
Spoiler:

Is there anyone besides me in the middle of the U.S.? I'm roughly midway between SF and NYC; as the chirpy flies I'm actually closer to Winnipeg or Mexico City. Would anyone want to come to a meetup in New Orleans or Austin (or maybe Minneapolis, since we're talking July)?

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

Mscha: yet another request from my-sister-the-lurker-who-should-get-her-own-login-already:

What would also be nice is the thread-text for what Rosetta says, as opposed to the wiki dialog page, which is very incomplete. The dialog page doesn't have the (multiple tries), but the thread came up with pretty good readings, only missing a few words outright. Anyway, if there was a way for that to be displayed next to the frame....
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

Well, this was an ONG once, with lots of echoes mixed in.
Redundant
Spoiler:
meow!
: (Cheshire)
not understanding anything.png
based on M1513
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:@Blitzgirl I do hope things turn out OK for you. Whether you need cheering up, or just some friendly faces to share your troubles with, you know where to go *cue Cheers theme*

"Where everybody knows your (user)name..."
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

Eternal Density

Co-co-co-co coma molpy style!

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Blind post, very possibly ninja'd:

In the OMR-it's-all-related department, today's Other Comic's negative zipcode apocalypse must will have spread to the rest of the world some Time in the next 11,000 years, for our civilization to end.
Blindposting to reply I forgot there was an Other Comic.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:52 pm UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:I feel awful. For the first time in nearly 600 posts, I posted somewhere other than the OTT
I know the feeling. I posted there too, so you wouldn't feel so lonely. And I hereby absolve you (and myself) of our sins. Remember that even after venturing into the (dare I say it?) "outside", the One True Thread will always welcome us back, for it is our home.

Jose

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”