1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

A Sea of Ketchup!

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

The Great Wedding Ketchup
(Image thoughtfully provided by ZoomanSP.)

Bad Hair Man wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:It be an river!!!

Time is a river.

Image<-Blog~.Image~.FAQ->Image
Bad Hair Man - don't worry, you are part of a grand tradition. We like to get messages from friends in the past!
Oh my! A message from the eponymous lightning Mädchen herself.

I didn't recall ever seeing her post in this thread before, and a quick forum search confirmed it. This was her first post here. Page 214.

Indeed it was! That was before I officially commenced my blitz-Quest to read it all - it seems like such a long Time ago (because it was a long Time ago)!

HES wrote:Blitzgirl is not going to be happy that we broke the OTC...
Image You broke it? You broke it?!?
You're right, I'm not happy at all! Why I oughta...
Oh, Wait...Time ended. I guess it doesn't matter anymore...

Valarya wrote:
CFS wrote:I know there's a lot of us new-posters/lurkers adding to the thread now. I hope its not too much of a problem for you old-TIMErs like Mscha, Blitzgirl, Hal9000 and the like.

The more the better, IMO. I love the influx of new people in the OTT.. makes it a much more interesting place! I also had to *giggle* a bit at calling BlitzGirl an old-TIMEr. :D She's definitely older than most, but lots of us were here when she first appeared and started the original Blitz. She surely captured everyone though, didn't she? Isn't the same around here without her. :cry:
Aww, thanks Val! I don't really think of myself as an old-TIMEr either, since I wasn't even Present until newpages in the 400s. A prodigious poster, perhaps, but not an Old One. :)
And it wouldn't be the same around here without you, either, Val! Less cupcakes, for one. Image
Warning: rapid cupcake fire!
Spoiler:

jjjdavidson wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I feel sad for BlitzGirl, she has spend so much time here and now she's away to be a bridesmaid all this exposition appears. She even misses the deciphering of Hairdo's words, while she spend so much time indexing Beanie.

We knew it would happen ─ every time BlitzGirl leaves, the mustard hits the fan. When she announced she'll be away for an extended period, we knew the mustard would get deeper than usual.

I know! At least I was there for...the Unspeakable Event. But I'm still kind of bummed that I missed deciphering Rosetta-speak. Thanks to everyone who worked on that so I could spend less Time squinting at my phone and trying to figure out what she was saying - the OTT came up with very good "translations"!

And "deep mustard" is a phrase I know I shall be using again...
Spoiler:

cellocgw wrote:I can see it, though. Full church/lawn gathering, bride & groom standing front & center, and one bridesmaid staring at her tablet during the ceremony, occasionally calling out "weird" or "neat" .

Minister: "Do you take this young woman's hand in marriage, to be your..."
BlitzGirl: "RUN! The Sea is rising and you need to RUN!"

cellocgw wrote:
Qalyar wrote:I think there's clearly going to be more going on than just: wall of water, dead Cuegenite tribe, moving on. Call it ... the principle of Chekov's La Petite. I don't think La Petite was a Cuegenite, and I think she's taken action in the intervening time frame.

Actually, La Petite left town early, since she was committed to being a bridesmaid at a wedding in The Hills. This wedding joins two families and ends the eons-old feud between the Hills People and the Cueganites, with the side benefit of saving La Petite's life.

Any resemblance between La Petite's story and that of BlitzGirl is intentionally coincidental.

Suuure. Image On the plus side, if the Cueganites are now on an island isolated from the mainland, they may never have to see the Hill People ever again! Problem solved! (Though they will have lost their IKEA...perhaps the Sea can float them new building materials...)

yappobiscuits wrote:We must obey GLR's every command! *goes for a run*
Moose Anus wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Valarya wrote:(Anyone else feel terrible that we've witnessed so much news, sadness and even NEW ALT TEXT while BlitzGirl is away?)

Yes... very suspicious... Image ...maybe BlitzGirl is Randall Image

I've never seen them in the same room together.

Yeah! And we know she's a good artist... it all adds up! :shock:

Not Randall either! Not LaPetite, not Megan, not Rosetta, not Andrea Peterson, not GLR! None of the above! Just BlitzGirl! I promise!

sford wrote:I further decree that ... what? What do you mean only one decree per page pope? I was going to decree that I get infinity more decrees! NO FAIR!

I'M GONNA TELL BLITZ GIRL!!!

You can get infinity more decrees as long as the OTT keeps going on for infinity... Image

mscha wrote:Poor BlitzGirl, being away at a time like this... (But as others have noted, it's probably her fault anyway, things happen in Time when she's Outside.)

Not anymore they don't! Image

Latent22 wrote:Man BlitzGirl is going to be so annoyed at us when she gets back! She leaves for a bit and we let the OTC totally run away on us!

I knew I should have left it at a kennel - but nooo, you're like, totally responsible and can like, totally watch it for a few days and you promise it's a piece of cake it really is and nothing will happen 'cause the OTC is so well-behaved... Image

taixzo wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
CasCat wrote:
Spoiler:

I guess than answers the beanie hat/hair question. That beanie seems to have removed his titular hat.

Which Beanie is that? (Oh, where's BlitzGirl, she was the one who could tell them apart the best.)

It's Amtoo, of course (our friendly Beanie-1). Image Without his beanie! Alone with a lady! Scandal!

mscha wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:It's the Tree of Contemplation!

No Time to reflect; it's Time now to RUN. (And to get wedding hairdo did and blitz on my phone.)

But I suppose it won't matter since soon the Tree will be under seawater. :(

Yay, it's Blitzgirl, bridesmaiding and parallel blitzing!

BlitzMaiding.

ETA: Don't forget to bring us some Image, BlitzGirl!

BlitzMaiding, indeed! Is it a bad thing that part of my permanent memories of this wedding will be the few quiet moments I spent blitzing on my phone?
And appropriate cake:
Spoiler:

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:No Time to reflect; it's Time now to RUN. (And to get wedding hairdo did and blitz on my phone.)

Blitz like the wind, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl you'd better please blitz and blitz faster
The thread is not gonna get shorter you know
Water is coming, we're growing impatient
And you've still got many newpages to go
So BlitzGirl, blitz like the wind!

I remember the day Randall posted the comic
A couple sat on a beach, it was called "Time"
How could we know that this seed would grow into
An addiction that held us, with every ONG chime

Now four months later we post with the masses
Of OTTers that hang out here waiting for it
As Great Lord Randall continues to publish
Frame upon frame each and every newpix

But now things get exciting inside
And BlitzGirl, you're stuck far behind...

Come back to the present, don't dwell in the past
The thread sure as hell ain't the same here without you
You're everyone's favourite Lightning Lass

Taixzo and CasCat took no time at all
To read through the whole thing, they are BlitzGirls the Fast
But you were the first one, we know you can do it
Just carry on blitzing your way through the past

You’re not our bitch, and you’re not a machine
And we don’t mean to dictate how you spend your days
But please bear in mind it's all kicking off here
And you don't want to get left behind in a daze

Why is it always when you're gone
That the mustard must go hit the fan?
So when the wedding is over and done
Get back in the thread and then RUN!

The sea won't stop rising until it's appeased
There's a hole in the present, cause something is missing
You're missed here like chirp, molpy up BlitzGirl, please!
Yes BlitzGirl, blitz like the wind!

Before Time is over, please blitz like the wind!

Filk of "Write Like The Wind (George RR Martin)" by Paul and Storm

Squee! Image An ottified song for me! A theme song, even! And it's so catchy! And yappo-fied! Image
(You wouldn't happen to have an mp3 version, would you? :D )
Thank you so much for the Past Present, yappo (even if it took me forever to get to it)! Image
This is so awesomeful that I had to make you a gif-gift:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
YappoMusicSmiley.gif
YappoMusicSmiley.gif (2.23 KiB) Viewed 15645 times

Keywords: Gif smiley gift emoticon present yappo yappobiscuits music sing BGUM animated
redundant78.png
redundant78.png (171.94 KiB) Viewed 15645 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

WARNING! Highly heretic ketchup* inside:
Spoiler:
*: The views expressed are those of the ketchup and are not necessarily at all those of ZoomanSP.

@lmjb1964: Awefulsome ottification and recording! Love it!
@AluisioASG: Thanks for creating a map6! (yay, finally I could use this footnote!) I'm looking forward for the updates, so that we can upload our data. *waits for it*
ETA: After seeing HES's posts in the preview window, I tried again, and I could upload my location. However, is there a possibility to see the markers of other posters, or will this come later? Maybe I just didn't find the right button or link; if so, maybe someone might point it out? And is there a possibility to move the marker in case of relocation?
ETA2:
OMR, it's starting! :shock:

@Kieryn: New data3! Thank you!

pelrigg wrote:Well, I must molpy down.
Spoiler:
Now that's a molpydown! :D

And the usual (like: "Every time I come back to the OTT, there's more creOTTivity, yay!", not: "Ch*rp, again more of the same lame stuff...") list of OTTers I'd like to thank for their creative efforts (again, hopefully not missing anyone, liked it all): Thanks, nsub1, HES, Whizbang, BlitzGirl, Ximenez, charlie_grumbles, taixzo, StratPlayer, airdrik, dawnfire, Dracomax, and magma pixie (welcome!)!
And welcome back, peewee_RotA, and happy 400 posts!
Spoiler:
RSIR:
Spoiler:
sea.jpg
sea.jpg (75.9 KiB) Viewed 15622 times
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, Wait...Time ended. I guess it doesn't matter anymore...
Heresy! Heresy! Burn the steak at 'er! (we haven't had that in a long while!)

BlitzGirl wrote:And it wouldn't be the same around here without you, either, Val! Less cupcakes, for one. Image
Fewer cupcakes. Fewer of something you count, less of something you measure. Well, I suppose the cupcakes are really uncountably abundant, so ok, less cupcakes. But maybe it should be "less cupcake"?

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:BlitzGirl wrote:No Time to reflect; it's Time now to RUN. (And to get wedding hairdo did and blitz on my phone.)
Squee! An ottified song for me! A theme song, even! And it's so catchy! And yappo-fied! Image

You didn't see that before? It was awesome, like unto a waterfall, and oh, so fitting!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Nope, I was doing the wedding thingamajig around the Time yappo posted it! 'Tis indeed wowterfallerific!
And I don't mind a good steaking, as long as it's done well...

ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:And it wouldn't be the same around here without you, either, Val! Less cupcakes, for one. Image
Fewer cupcakes. Fewer of something you count, less of something you measure. Well, I suppose the cupcakes are really uncountably abundant, so ok, less cupcakes. But maybe it should be "less cupcake"?

Hmm. True. Less cupcaking? I believe I was thinking of the verb and typed the noun.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

Arky wrote:Apologies if this has already been relayed to the OTT and I missed it, but Wired has an article up with some quotes from the GTR himself (among other things confirming the Antares supernova and confirming how hard to crack Beanish is meant to be).

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/08/xkcd-time-comic/

Woah, woah. This is almost [heresy] better than his blag post about it [/heresy]!! He gives so much more information (dwarf palms, juniper trees, horned vipers, and sand boas!) and the author of the article mentions our language, our songs and lots of other things from the OTT. I haven't keughtup the last few NPs so I'm sure you guys have already 7ed about this, but wow. And I giggle every time I see an Outside reference name the language Beanish. Do you think any of them 'get' the fact we called it that because the people wear Beanies on their heads? Haha!

Thanks, Wired. Thanks, Randall. What a great article to wake up to. :)

tresoldi wrote:Do you think it is better to discuss the language here? I didn't want to be too spammy...

Anyway, I am glad you find my posts interesting, I will try to go on in my free time. And I must say, it was amusing to read people speculations about that mysterious blogger. :)

It wouldn't be spammy! It's the only thing we haven't figured out yet, and you might get farther if you post some findings in here and have multiple people taking stabs at the language with you. :) Besides, as GLR said in the above wired article, he might be throwing Beanish into some future comics.. so it's definitely something we need to figure out.

AluisioASG wrote:Now presenting: the xkcd 1190 Thread Members Map. Go, click on your location, click the marker, enter your info and upload! (Just look at it for now, the upload doesn't seem to be working yet; check my signature for updates.) Lurkers are welcome, just fill in a random username.

Awesome! Now if only I weren't getting a DNS Server Failure when trying to open the page. :(

BlitzGirl wrote:
Ximenez wrote:ETA: Found this in np171 (March 30):
Opiboble wrote:
Valarya wrote:be it a longpix or a nopix? be it even CHANGING?! Panic be setting in.

It is not a nopix, that will be the day that there are no more pix at all.

I think "nopix" is a good way to measure our Time (or lack thereof) now...will definitely be using this...even though it makes me sad...

Hey, 3! I coined a term. Doesn't matter that it took 1,151 NPs for it to be used. :P
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

waveney

Postby waveney » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

tresoldi wrote:
waveney wrote:I have been looking at Rosetta's map under magnification and I think we have missed a few things...

1. Clear Square dot and possibly some small writing - Bilbao?
2. Another Square dot - Unidentified
3. Possible dot - Unidentified
4 Another Square dot and some small writing - New Rome?
5. Known Gibralter beanish 933
6. Known Baleric Sea in Beanish
7. Known Ionian Sea in Beanish
8. Beanish 34cGX
9. Two Beanish Labels: 2JMX' (reported) and 433? (not reported?)
10. Writing?
11. Writing?
12. Another named Sea?
13. Another named Sea?
14. Name of River?
15. Another named Sea?

I was just about to ask if someone is proficient with image manipulation and is able to improve the map, or at least give a more readable contrast (I tried just messing around with standard contrast controls, but it didn't help).

We should remember that in number 7 we can only see the end of the words. Besides that, Label 1 does match Bilbao, 2 could be Toulouse, 3 could be Lagos or Faro (from where Colombus sailed) and 15 is likely the Adriatic Sea (but it seems to me that someone had already pointed it).

Location 2 is not Toulouse, it could be somewhere in the region of Carcassone to Beziers. Carcassone might be a good woking assunption (it does have a good castle and walls - and a good game - we have two copies in our game cupboards)

Location 3 is not square so it might not be another significant place - but it could be Huelva or some place near it - Lagos and Faro are too far away.

It is worth noting that the Beanies Castle (location 9) also has a square blob on the map.

Looking carefully location 10 also has a square blob below it - this could be another significant place some where between Algiers and Bejaia.

JGeezer

Postby JGeezer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
OK, so, here's the recording.
And here are the lyrics (Based on "On My Own" from Les Mis):
Spoiler:
And now it seems that Time will end, where will I go, where will I post to?
I'd be so lost to never have your avatars to say hello to
The alt-text says "The End," and I feel like I lost a friend.

Sometimes I'd get online at night when everybody else was sleeping.
I'd read each post and be so happy with the company I'm keeping.
So if the end is here, I hope you all will still stay near.

On my own, is how I first discovered you
Saw that frame, but didn't understand it
Found the forum, and hoped to find some answers
Instead I found this beautiful community of strangers

On the thread, your posts would shine like silver
And my joy was like the sea and not the river.
On each NewPage, found endless awe and laughter
And so I hoped that all of this would carry on forever.

And it's true I knew deep down inside
That one day The One True Comic had to end.
Now it's here, this truth that I denied.
Still I say I will wait for it.

I love you, and now that Time is over
We're not gone, we may stay here forever.
Without Time, this thread may see some changes,
But now of that will matter now that we are friends, not strangers.

I love you, and ever day I'm learning
What a precious gift I have been given
Without you, my world would have been poorer.
This thread is full of awesomeness I never would have known.

I love you
I love you
I waited, but never on my own.

Finally got to listen - Thank you! Beautiful4,7!

You really caught the spirit here:

I love you, and now that Time is over
We're not gone, we may stay here forever.
Without Time, this thread may see some changes,
But now of that will matter now that we are friends, not strangers.
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

HES

Postby HES » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Valarya wrote:be it a longpix or a nopix? be it even CHANGING?! Panic be setting in.

I think "nopix" is a good way to measure our Time (or lack thereof) now...will definitely be using this...even though it makes me sad...

Hey, 3! I coined a term. Doesn't matter that it took 1,151 NPs for it to be used. :P

:shock: :oops:
1151NP is one chirp of a ninja

Also, something I missed in my ketchup, Azule still doesn't know :(
He/Him/His Image

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

Molpy Up!
Ximenez wrote:RothkONG
Spoiler:

This is beautiful!! Do you happen to have a larger more seaish version? It's going to be my new background :)

Still, Munroe says that artifacts of the sprawling world he created in the space of a single panel might someday make their way into his other work: “Maybe I’ll find a way to sneak a bit more of the language into another xkcd comic.”

I found this particular quote from the Wired article to be very exciting! It not only means being able to have a part of Time in another comic, but it almost guarantees that we will all find our way back to the OTT if there are Time easter eggs in future comics.

I (actually) made this cake last night and thought I would take a picture before covering it in rainbow sprinkles to give the more artisticly inclined folks out there a cake template. Frost away OTTers!
Redundant:
Spoiler:
cake.jpg
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

schwartzbewithyou wrote:
Spoiler:

This is beautiful!! Do you happen to have a larger more seaish version? It's going to be my new background :)

Thanks, schwarzbewithyou!
No seaish version, sorry, I made the mashup to match the width of Time frames.

Valarya

Re: A Sea of Ketchup!

Postby Valarya » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

Warning: rapid cupcake fire!
Spoiler:

That gif makes me want to have all the cupcakes right nao! Also: Image
I see your rapid cupcake fire and match an OTTcupcake-athon.
Spoiler:

Xuys, for all you doing manips - there's just way too many for me to say "holy molpy, WOW! NEAT!" to all of them, but I am reading (and listening, wow lmjb!) and think they're all so amazing. The outpouring of creativity has made ketching up on 2 NPs much more neat and longer than 6-7 NPs during Time took. The above cupcakes are for all of you. <3

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

My turn for End of Time blurb

I just wanted to say to all of you still k'chuping and to all of you that have left: thank you.

Reading the Wired article made me smile so much. I really couldn't believe that the 11000 years in the future was right!

Anyway,

you all have made an immensely interesting web comic infinitely more interesting and I am only sorry that I did not take part that much and that I've been away since the End of Time without leaving a thanks.

Things I will missin no particular order:

Mustard watching
Molpy hunting
Hats
Maps
Songs
Linguistics
Astronomy
Loopists
Churches
Popes
Newpixbot
GIFs

and...

ONG

ETA:

Cakes!

redundant:
Spoiler:

THANK YOU and GLR bless :D

MajorDouble7

Re: 1190: "Time" Delurk plus OTTification

Postby MajorDouble7 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

magma pixie wrote:Hi all! I've followed the OTC since I learned the frame was changing and I found the wonderful Book of Aubron to keep me up to date. I came to the OTT later, becoming a sporadic lurker, reading more with the puzzle of Rosetta's speeches, and even more so since the Voldeframe. This community is freaking amazing! I am in awe of the devotion and the creativity. I love love love OTColored, and that people have recorded some of the marvelous songs.

I don't think I've seen an OTTification to the Firefly theme, so here's a little contribution from me:

Meg and Cue, on the sand,
Building castles oh so grand
What's out there, they'll go see
You can't take the Time from me

They head out, take a pack,
Hope to bring some knowledge back
Walk the land and learn the sea

Found a place they can be
Since the rising of the sea
But you can't take the Time from me

In case this FirstPost hasn't been bumped yet, Welcome magma pixie, and that's a wowterful OTTification!
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

gement

Postby gement » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

Thanks, pelrigg and lmjb1964! I'm not going to check any more modern updates until my little relativistic ship blitzes up to yours, so please send any more communiques via sig line or private message. 8-)

(Yes, I knew it wasn't length. It was a mystery stopword, and the only way for me to diagnose it was to break it down by segment and see what got through, making my first (4) post(s) unbearably clumsy. But that's in The Past now.)

What I've been enjoying most so far (still OTT pages 95-100) is watching the cancerbabydepression theorizing when they are looking at the sea. Yesgood, you have correctly identified that they are staring with intent at the sea. That is indeed important. So many epileptic trees and hopes for a larger meaning and there was one, but, um,... really not those.

I was also amused that somewhere around page 74 someone actually mentioned the Dead Sea as an option for good beach + lack of tides, but there was no follow-up, and Megan's spitting was attributed to everything from semen to mercury, but hypersalinated water didn't even get a mention past the fact that sea water can be legitimately nasty.

I may not progress today, as it's my last day on a Work Thing before switching to a new Work Thing, but we'll see. My favorite frame to blitzdate is 139, the First Flag framed on its own turret. It will be ousted as soon as we reach the trebuchet.
Sometimes a sand castle is just a sand castle. Mind you, a lot of other things can be happening around that sand castle...
I have reread Homestuck multiple times. The Blitz holds no terror for me. Current location: newpage 150.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:58 pm UTC

With All of the OTTification talent here, and no longer getting sidetracked every newpix by the OTC, I was wondering what people thought about Ottifying an entire musical--I was thinking Les Mis, into the wood, or Ragtime, but anything would be cool.

So, what do all of y'all think?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:With All of the OTTification talent here, and no longer getting sidetracked every newpix by the OTC, I was wondering what people thought about Ottifying an entire musical--I was thinking Les Mis, into the wood, or Ragtime, but anything would be cool.

Avenue Q might be fun.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

tresoldi wrote:I was just about to ask if someone is proficient with image manipulation and is able to improve the map, or at least give a more readable contrast (I tried just messing around with standard contrast controls, but it didn't help).

Here's one with the contrast set to 11 ;)
Spoiler:
map.jpg
Go Minim go!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

fatness wrote:
Dracomax wrote:With All of the OTTification talent here, and no longer getting sidetracked every newpix by the OTC, I was wondering what people thought about Ottifying an entire musical--I was thinking Les Mis, into the wood, or Ragtime, but anything would be cool.

Avenue Q might be fun.

What do you do, with a BA in Manips
theres something I'm supposed to draw?

The internet is for TIME?

Everyone's a little bit timewaiter?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

HES wrote:Also, something I missed in my ketchup, Azule still doesn't know :(

I just saw that in my ketchup, too. :cry:

fatness wrote:

Avenue Q might be fun.

Or RENT. But a great idea overall. We already have tons of Les Mis filks so that project is already baobabish.

iisjreg wrote:Things I will miss:
Maps
Songs
Linguistics
Popes
GIFs

Chopped your list up to show you the things that show no sign of stopping here in the OTT (unless we decode Beanish). ;) So don't go anywhere else BlitzGirl will put you in the basement!
*readies the M&Ms*

@Ximenez - had to do a specific shout-out to you because you went crazy a NP or two ago with so many awesome manips! Neat :mrgreen:
@Zorin - awesomeful map!

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

I was reading through the blag comments and someone mentioned that the first-post had changed.

I looked back to NP0001 and sure enough, the image is now np0001.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:
schwartzbewithyou wrote:
Spoiler:

Thanks, schwarzbewithyou!
No seaish version, sorry, I made the mashup to match the width of Time frames.

No problem! It looks fantastic on my desktop all the same.
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:25 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:@Ximenez - had to do a specific shout-out to you because you went crazy a NP or two ago with so many awesome manips! Neat :mrgreen:

Wow! Thanks, Val! Here's a little something for you:
Spoiler:
7007d_Thank-You-Cakes.jpg

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Image (a bit seaish)

Another thought on meetups: The problem with having lots of meetups around the world is the more different ones we have the fewer people there will be at each one. Even a UK one would have hardly anyone - there's me, HES, Minim, Exodies (IIRC?)... that's only four I can immediately think of... The tricky thing is finding that balance between having enough meetups so as many people as possible have a chance to make it to one, but not so many that there's hardly anyone at each one...

And all this talk of graphics tablets has reminded me that I really want one... My method at the moment for artwork, such as this one...
Spoiler:

...is to draw it first on paper, scan it in, adjust the levels so the background is properly white, then use GIMP's "Colour to Alpha" feature to turn all the white transparent so I can then add a colour layer (or in the case of the above since it's greyscale, a shading layer) underneath the lines. But it would cut out a lot of fuss to just be able to draw digitally straight away. I've been wanting a tablet for a while, I really should get one as soon as I can...
buffygirl wrote:BuffyGirl's Awesome Idea
ok, sorry .... just attention-seeking...
Spoiler:
Ok, so here's my idea. It's a(nother) video idea consistent with the whole goal of trying to somehow convey to others what the combined experience of the OTC and OTT was like. I suspect I may have either outright stolen this idea, or perhaps it is a conGLOMeration of various ideas ....

I am envisioning a sort of Mystery Science Theater 3000 type thing (which I know has been mentioned before). In this case, after each TimeFrame, "selected"1 content from the OTT is shown and/or narrated (such as posts, ottifications, images, and general silliness). Ideally posts and other "spoken word" stuff would be narrated by the actual poster. In my mind, the OTT posts are narrated in a MST manner with the frame paused and possibly even MST-type shadows in place in the foreground. I also envision having molpy sightings highlighted with a mscha-like animated gif along with the accompanying OTT dialogue.

Oh, and the development of the "language" of the OTT would be included in the dialogue.

So, the video would include the OTT dialogue as intrinsic to the OTC experience. To make it super-seaish, we could include all Blitzer's signposting, but that might make the whole thing too seaish. However, I do like the idea of including BlitzGirl's Blitz process as part of the mayhem described above.

I say mayhem, but I don't actually envision mayhem. I envision a multidimensional experience that draws in the viewer in such a way that they get at least a little inkling of what it was like to be on the long, strange trip we all had.

Now, of course, I would also like to include my hattification in some way. Not sure how, but perhaps the MST shadows could gain hats or something? I don't actually see including screenshots of the OTT (for any posts, hats or otherwise), so I don't really see a good way to include my hats in a way that is consistent with my vision. Actually, I take that back -- I can see including image ottifications/manips and redundakitties. (I think mostly, my idea doesn't have a good way of including my hats. But that's ok.)

It would be even better as a multi-media "Performance Piece" actually, but I don't think that's realistic … because we are always realistic here on the OTT! Can't you see it! Selected1 portions of the OTT are in the foreground, kinda like Rocky Horror Picture Show (well ... ish), and the OTC is projected onto the background. Oooh! Ooooh! A sorta Waiting for Godot like stage (i.e. minimalist with the actors sorta clueless?). Anyway -- Hopefully you get the gist of what I'm trying to describe.

Oh, and BTW - this is a brainstorm, not a proposal so ... well ... please don't tell me all the nitpicky things that are problematic about my idea, just tell me if you can see what I'm envisioning! Thank you!

MWAH!
B

1 The "selection" process is TBD!

I think this is a really treeish idea! It would give people a really enjoyable way to watch the OTC and get a "highlight reel" of the OTT, and learn where all our terms and traditions come from, without having to do a full blitz!
AluisioASG wrote:Now presenting: the xkcd 1190 Thread Members Map. Go, click on your location, click the marker, enter your info and upload! (Just look at it for now, the upload doesn't seem to be working yet; check my signature for updates.) Lurkers are welcome, just fill in a random username.

4! I love how it defaults to the Chateau d'If :P
k.bookbinder wrote:By the way, @lmjb1964 beautiful!!! And when I tried to download the file, I was disheartened that I could not play m4a files. But then I saw Yappobiscuits' mp3 file and exclaimed "Woot! Yappobiscuits to the rescue!" To which my wife promptly replied, "If I had a nickel every time I heard that...well, I'd have a nickel."

:lol: Would be 4 if that phrase was used more often :P
Kazza3 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I should've molpied down some time ago, but I ended up staying up to write the music to BlitzGirl's poem instead, while the idea was fresh in my head... but I've finished that now, so molpy down time.

Which one?

Cause I may or may not be doing something similar.

"Rest With Me Here". As I said I would do so here:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Rest With Me Here
Spoiler:
Rest with me here - now we're after The End
The newpix have stopped so it's Time to inhale
Breathe the sweet air that blows over new lands
Sing me a song of a wowterful tree
A new-finished tale

What we have left we'll scrape into a pile
Laughs we have shared and laughs still left to spend
Some things will stay here and others will sail
Open your heart and let them go free
We had them a while
And they are what made us an us, we a we

I have duller matters that I must attend
The Outside rebukes us with test and with trial
For this one moment take hold of these strands
See how they blend
Pulled by a needle and spinning a trail

Dance through the thread and remember you me
Ghosting through pastposts that I once had penned
Lord Randall is resting and so is the Sea
But echoes of greatness will always transcend

Remember the sweetness, remember the style
Remember with color and voices and bands
Breathe deep of the wind of this uncharted isle
And build me a castle of marvelous sands

That was lovely! I kinda started hearing it to music... I might turn this into a song at some point if that's alright with you.

BlitzGirl wrote:OTTification for PagePope (it's an OTTercomic):

Spoiler:

:lol: 4!
mikro2nd wrote:But if meetups are going to be organised on Facebook, then,...sniff... goodbye - I'm not on FB and never will be, so won't know about it. Pretty sure I'm not the only one...

I think MORE people have posted here saying they hate facebook and never want to get it than otherwise. As BlitzGirl pointed out, there are less than 50 people over there. Really, all you FB-haters, stop worrying, anything that goes down will go down here. It ain't called the ONE TRUE thread for nothin'!
Arky wrote:Apologies if this has already been relayed to the OTT and I missed it, but Wired has an article up with some quotes from the GTR himself (among other things confirming the Antares supernova and confirming how hard to crack Beanish is meant to be).

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/08/xkcd-time-comic/

Awesomeful article! Nice to have confirmation on the Antares issue, and some species confirmations too ("dwarf palms, juniper trees, horned vipers, and sand boas"). I hope he will sneak some more beanish (and other OTC references) in OtherComics!
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:No Time to reflect; it's Time now to RUN. (And to get wedding hairdo did and blitz on my phone.)

Spoiler:
The thread is not gonna get shorter you know
Water is coming, we're growing impatient
And you've still got many newpages to go

I remember the day Randall posted the comic
A couple sat on a beach, it was called "Time"
How could we know that this seed would grow into
An addiction that held us, with every ONG chime

Now four months later we post with the masses
Of OTTers that hang out here waiting for it
As Great Lord Randall continues to publish
Frame upon frame each and every newpix

But now things get exciting inside
And BlitzGirl, you're stuck far behind...

Come back to the present, don't dwell in the past
The thread sure as hell ain't the same here without you
You're everyone's favourite Lightning Lass

Taixzo and CasCat took no time at all
To read through the whole thing, they are BlitzGirls the Fast
But you were the first one, we know you can do it
Just carry on blitzing your way through the past

You’re not our bitch, and you’re not a machine
And we don’t mean to dictate how you spend your days
But please bear in mind it's all kicking off here
And you don't want to get left behind in a daze

Why is it always when you're gone
That the mustard must go hit the fan?
So when the wedding is over and done
Get back in the thread and then RUN!

The sea won't stop rising until it's appeased
There's a hole in the present, cause something is missing
You're missed here like chirp, molpy up BlitzGirl, please!
Yes BlitzGirl, blitz like the wind!

Before Time is over, please blitz like the wind!

Filk of "Write Like The Wind (George RR Martin)" by Paul and Storm

Squee! Image An ottified song for me! A theme song, even! And it's so catchy! And yappo-fied! Image
(You wouldn't happen to have an mp3 version, would you? :D )
Thank you so much for the Past Present, yappo (even if it took me forever to get to it)! Image
This is so awesomeful that I had to make you a gif-gift:

Yay, wedding ketchup! Now I can stop pestering you about it :P
Have an mp3.
And OMR my very own guitary smiley! ImageImage Love you, BG! Image

We already have quite a few Les Mis ottifications (Bring Him Home, Stars, One Day More, Master of the House, On My Own (x2 IIRC, I seem to remember it being done before lmjb's more recent one), At the End of the Day... those are the ones I remember) and also Ace has ottified a fair bit of Once More With Feeling. I'm still brewing ideas for an original Time: The Musical though! I'll do the soundtrack first though...
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

gement

Postby gement » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

HA! Newpage 107, two frames into the second wait, we get not one but TWO people floating* the Mediterranean as an option, and one suggesting exponential tide rise based on, well, no evidence yet other than the ability to project almost any function from two data points.

This is a great moment in predictive reading. Before this, there was only the one mention of the Dead Sea, and other than that the only real contenders (excluding "a day at the beach" and "cyclical") were tsunami and BHG riding a velociraptor.

* Sorry.
Sometimes a sand castle is just a sand castle. Mind you, a lot of other things can be happening around that sand castle...
I have reread Homestuck multiple times. The Blitz holds no terror for me. Current location: newpage 150.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

A present present for you! I checked the wiki to make sure nobody had done something like this and didn't see anything. If you see any inconsistencies with Time-ing (or spelling/grammar) let me know and I'll fix them. Enjoy!

The Tale of LaPetite

Spoiler:
It was a warm morning when LaPetite awoke. She yawned sleepily as she placed her well worn beret upon her head and slipped out of the tent. Her people were gathered around the morning cook fire, burning a small pile of old dried driftwood under a dented black kettle. The smell of roots and snake meat filled the air and made her tummy grumble in anticipation. She sat, waiting for her breakfast, as the members of her small tribe chatted about the state of the river and complaining about how long it took to fetch water from it.

It wasn't long before the food was ready and LaPetite dug in happily. It was well salted of course, but they had also managed to dig up some extra seasoning from the scrublands nearby. LaPetite wasn't sure what the hill people called the herb, but she called it delicious.

As she rubbed her chipped wooden bowl clean with sand and salt she began to wonder where Megan and Cue were. They had been spending quite a bit of time down by the sea lately. They seemed to be having fun with something, though LaPetite wasn’t sure what they were up to. The oddest thing about it was that only a few days ago they started carrying large pieces of salvage wood down to the water with them. It wasn’t a short hike, so it must have been exhausting, but those two never really complained about hard work. In fact they seemed to enjoy building things and solving puzzles. There wasn’t much to do around camp this time of year but collect water from the river or search out food from the scrublands, so maybe they were bored. Whatever they were up to, LaPetite was intrigued.

In truth, she had been intrigued ever since she saw the mechanism that Megan built and rolled down to the sea. Bunny told her it was called a trebooshay, or something like that. She explained that it was an ancient device used to destroy castles in the age of the ancestors, but that they were usually made much bigger. Bunny laughed when LaPetite asked what they would need with such a thing. “Who knows with those two” she said good-naturedly. LaPetite’s curiosity was seriously peaked.

Unfortunately, no one else in their little camp seemed to be interested at all in what Megan and Cue were up to. Some of the young children would go down by the sea to play and swim, a good way to stay cool in the heat, but they just didn’t care what Megan and Cue were doing with all that wood or the trebooshay.

Well, today LaPetite had had enough. She put her foot down and decided that tonight she was going to go down to the sea and see what they were up to. Bunny reminded her not to stamp her feet, it was rude. As the heat of the day broke Cue returned for supper. Meg wasn’t with him, so she must have been down by the sea still. LaPetite quickly finished her meal and while everyone was still busy slipped away and hurried down to the sea.

It took some time for LaPetite to get close enough for the structure to become clear in the darkening twilight sky. It was enormous! Bigger than the biggest tent LaPetite had ever seen! At the bottom was a sprawling castle made of the salty sand. It was beautiful and magnificent at the same time, and made the modest castles the children constructed look like... well, child’s play. But that wasn’t all! Above the sprawling castle towered a two tiered scaffolding of wood, with a carefully constructed railing around the first tier. It looked to LaPetite like an enormous barge on stilts. And crowning the top was a castle with an intricacy and beauty that put the larger castle on the ground to shame.

LaPetite ran toward the structure, giggling to herself in excitement. She walked around the castle marvelling at how every tower had the little ups and downs at the top that castles are supposed to have. Then she looked closer and saw how the central section of the castle looked like it had a smaller version of the very same castle on top of it! Her mind was boggled! Did that little castle have an even smaller castle on top of it? As LaPetite moved close to get a better look she glanced upward and the more intricate sand castle looming way up high over her. As her eyes moved down to the middle tier of the scaffold she finally notice Megan, laying underneath the top tier that held the pretty castle. LaPetite paused and heard the steady breathing of sleep. LaPetite decided against climbing up to the top, she didn’t want to wake Megan. Instead she stood, in excited silence for a moment, looking over every detail of the beautiful castle.

After a few moments she turned and left, excited to tell others what Megan and Cue were up to. They didn’t seem all that interested, and didn’t even believe that the castle was as grand as she said it was. Isn’t that the way of it? Adults never believe what children tell them. But LaPetite didn’t care, she wanted to go back the next day and see what Meg and Cue would do next.

But LaPetite never got to see what they would build next. The next morning Cue left early but returned with Megan only a few hours later. They walked into camp looking sad. They spoke to some of the other tribe members about going exploring, they smiled and nodded pleasantly. It was a peculiar thing to do, but Meg and Cue were sometimes peculiar people. Before long their bags were packed. LaPetite watched the lone flag in Megan’s hand flutter in the wind as they left...
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

Quick ketchup, I'll have a busy day at work todip:

Valarya wrote:I've been having a terrible week at work and haven't had the energy to construct a post in a couple days. I've been reading everything, though... and listening to / reading / seeing all the filks makes me smile. Often. ;) I'm working on a few other OTTifications but don't know when I'll have the chance to post them. <snip>
I brought this cupcake for you guys, but someone got to it first:
Spoiler:

Bad squirpy!

Sorry you're having a terrible week, Valarya. Hang in there! *hugs*

Oh, this is the script someone made to make the avatar hover onscreen:
Spoiler:
// ==UserScript==
// @name OTT profile hover
// @namespace http://xkcd.com/
// @version 2.2
// @description Makes the profile info stay on screen when you scroll through a post.
// @match http://*.xkcd.com/*
// @require http://zeptojs.com/zepto.min.js
// @run-at document-end
// @copyright 2013+, Ondrej Mosnáček
// ==/UserScript==

var posts = $('div.post').map(function() { var $el = $(this); return { post: $el, body: $el.find('div.postbody'), profile: $el.find('dl.postprofile') }; }).get();
//GM_log(posts);

$(document).on('scroll', function() {
for(var i = 0; i < posts.length; i++) {
var post = posts;
var $profile = post.profile;
var $body = post.body;
var postStart = $body.offset().top;
var postEnd = postStart + Math.max($body.height(), $profile.height());
//GM_log([postStart, postEnd].join(', '));
var off = window.pageYOffset - postStart;
var min = 0;
var max = postEnd - $profile.height() - postStart;
if(off < min)
$profile.css({ position: '', top: '' });
else if(off > max)
$profile.css({ position: 'relative', top: max + 'px' });
else
$profile.css({ position: 'relative', top: off + 'px' });
}
});

Dracomax wrote:Don't ask me. I retired. ANd I didn't even get killed off the day before. Way I see it, I'm ahead. and afoot, too.

Ah! I knew that [i]something was afoot. Re: the OTT musical, yesyesyes! We've already done a lot of Les Mis, I think. Don't know Avenue Q at all, I'll have to find the cast recording.

BlitzGirl, loved the ketchup post, but this line was my fave:
BlitzGirl wrote:Minister: "Do you take this young woman's hand in marriage, to be your..."
BlitzGirl: "RUN! The Sea is rising and you need to RUN!"

ZoomanSP wrote:@lmjb1964: Awefulsome ottification and recording! Love it!
@AluisioASG: Thanks for creating a map6! (yay, finally I could use this footnote!) I'm looking forward for the updates, so that we can upload our data. *waits for it*
ETA: After seeing HES's posts in the preview window, I tried again, and I could upload my location. However, is there a possibility to see the markers of other posters, or will this come later? Maybe I just didn't find the right button or link; if so, maybe someone might point it out? And is there a possibility to move the marker in case of relocation?

Thanks, ZoomanSP! And I had the same question about the map.

HES wrote:
Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Opiboble wrote:

:shock: :oops:
1151NP is one chirp of a ninja

Also, something I missed in my ketchup, Azule still doesn't know :(

I do like the more positive repix. And I thought I saw a post that indicated azule did know, but now I'm not sure.

iisjreg wrote:My turn for End of Time blurb
Spoiler:
I just wanted to say to all of you still k'chuping and to all of you that have left: thank you.

Reading the Wired article made me smile so much. I really couldn't believe that the 11000 years in the future was right!

Anyway,

you all have made an immensely interesting web comic infinitely more interesting and I am only sorry that I did not take part that much and that I've been away since the End of Time without leaving a thanks.

Things I will missin no particular order:

Mustard watching
Molpy hunting
Hats
Maps
Songs
Linguistics
Astronomy
Loopists
Churches
Popes
Newpixbot
GIFs

and...

ONG

ETA:

Cakes!

redundant:
[spoiler]Image

THANK YOU and GLR bless :D[/spoiler]

Thank you! Hang around, we're still doing stuff.

OK, gotta get to work, but also find time to read the Wired article and look at the map. So much to do, so little..nevermind. :(

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

Cute and wowterful story, jovialbard!

ETA re. Beret/Barrett: Was that an autocorrect issue? :P
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:A present present for you! I checked the wiki to make sure nobody had done something like this and didn't see anything. If you see any inconsistencies with Time-ing (or spelling/grammar) let me know and I'll fix them. Enjoy!

[url=http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=52880#p3429293]The Tale of LaPetite
Very treeish! Great to see another perspective on the story! :)

Two riverish typos:
beret, not barrett. A beret is a hat, a barrette is a kind of hairclip.
paragraph 2: It wasn't long before the food was read missing a 'y', unless they have a different way of consuming food!

I'm looking forward to more! (More story, that is) :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

gement

Postby gement » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

Oh, a note from earlier-earlier! I didn't know Blitzing was a Thing (that people would enjoy reports at the leading edge, rather than just saying yes-yes, bloody catch up before you try to talk to us...), and also I wasn't sure if it was going to become a horrible flamewar that no one wanted to be reminded of. Now that both dangers are past:

As a genderqueer person who strongly prefers they/them/their pronouns, thanks for the generally respectful and restrained discussion on the topic, and the corollary observations on when we can or can't make assumptions about people's pronouns in the comics. I wish more people in face to face interactions would elide pronouns if they're not sure of the situation, and online it's especially easy and important to get in the habit of remembering that you usually don't know.

So thanks.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:56 pm UTC

Ximenez wrote:
Valarya wrote:@Ximenez - had to do a specific shout-out to you because you went crazy a NP or two ago with so many awesome manips! Neat :mrgreen:

Wow! Thanks, Val! Here's a little something for you:
Spoiler:
7007d_Thank-You-Cakes.jpg

Squarish cupcakes! Yay!! :D

jovialbard wrote:A present present for you! I checked the wiki to make sure nobody had done something like this and didn't see anything. If you see any inconsistencies with Time-ing (or spelling/grammar) let me know and I'll fix them. Enjoy!
<snip>

Eeeeee! A tale of LaPetite. Image

I think it was an awesome tale, jovialbard. The only inconsistency mustard I noticed was the fact Meg and Cue, in your story, went and told the 40 about the sea-rising and that they were leaving to find answers. But in newpic M3019, when Cuegan reunite with the 40, one of the Cueganites mention how the "kids" told them about the sea [rising] "a few days ago." Thus they wouldn't have heard it from Megball. ;)

lmjb1964 wrote:Sorry you're having a terrible week, Valarya. Hang in there! *hugs*

<3 thanks, chica.

@yappo - lol that we both picked the same snip of a sentence from the whole Wired article to quote.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I think it was an awesome tale, jovialbard. The only inconsistency mustard I noticed was the fact Meg and Cue, in your story, went and told the 40 about the sea-rising and that they were leaving to find answers. But in newpic M3019, when Cuegan reunite with the 40, one of the Cueganites mention how the "kids" told them about the sea [rising] "a few days ago." Thus they wouldn't have heard it from Megball. ;)

Drat, I knew I'd miss something like that. Hmm, it begs the question what kind of relationship they have with their tribe if they don't even tell them they are leaving, or if they did why the tribe didn't ask why... I suppose maybe they just told the tribe they were going to go exploring... I'll write it that way, thanks!

And thanks for the spelling corrections ucim :) . And no, yappo, not autocorrect, just not naturally gifted at spelling.

edited to change "as spelling" to "at spelling" :)
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

waveney

Postby waveney » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
tresoldi wrote:I was just about to ask if someone is proficient with image manipulation and is able to improve the map, or at least give a more readable contrast (I tried just messing around with standard contrast controls, but it didn't help).

Using Zorin_75's enhanced contrast here is the latest map with highlighted features (I have added a few more). In some cases the features is clearer unenhanced.

2. Another Square dot - somewhere in the region of Carcassone to Beziers. Carcassone might be a good working assunption
3. Possible dot -could be Huelva or some place near it
4. Another Square dot and some small writing - New Rome?
8. Beanish 34cGX
9. Two Beanish Labels: 2JMX' and 433? The castle also apears to have a square blob.
10. Possible square blob and writing - some where between Algiers and Bejaia
11. River name?
12. Another named Sea? Adriatic?
13. Another named Sea?
14. Name of River?
15. Another named Sea? Adriatic?
16. Duck? (See unenhanced)
17. River name?
18. The heavy dotted line here overlaps - might be mustard

Spoiler:
time map.png

magma pixie

Squee!

Postby magma pixie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

I've been gifted a molpy! Thank you, Eternal Density!

Y'all are awesomeful at making a person feel welcome and appreciated! :D

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:And the map-matching is quite impressive, neopifex. Where is Cuegan's start point in relation to this new overlay? I'm not very good with maps.

Their starting point would be off the bottom left corner of the map, I think. The Beanies' map didn't extend very far from their home base.
(Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see your question til I searched for my username just now)
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

Just taking a quick peek in from the Outside to say two things:

jovialbard, loved the story!

And, any guitarists out there that are fans of Joni Mitchell, or would be up to learning one of her songs (this one, in fact)? Let me know here on by PM. Thanks!

*sound of window breaking nearby*

OK, gotta get back to work. Have at you, zombies!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time" Delurk plus OTTification

Postby taixzo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

magma pixie wrote:Hi all! I've followed the OTC since I learned the frame was changing and I found the wonderful Book of Aubron to keep me up to date. I came to the OTT later, becoming a sporadic lurker, reading more with the puzzle of Rosetta's speeches, and even more so since the Voldeframe. This community is freaking amazing! I am in awe of the devotion and the creativity. I love love love OTColored, and that people have recorded some of the marvelous songs.

I don't think I've seen an OTTification to the Firefly theme, so here's a little contribution from me:

Meg and Cue, on the sand,
Building castles oh so grand
What's out there, they'll go see

They head out, take a pack,
Hope to bring some knowledge back
Walk the land and learn the sea

Found a place they can be
Since the rising of the sea
But you can't take the Time from me

This is beautiful! Now I just need a recording of it, set to play whenever I open my browser. :D
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

gement

Postby gement » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Newpage 112-113: More reports of sleep dep hallucinations than previously, as most people hit coma 4 of their vigil. From my futuresight, I'm apprehensive of what the reaction will be when the newpix rate drops to longpix, an event less than one dayapix away.

Had I been in the game from the start, my religious stances would have been:
  • "Nice day at the beach" but in favor of nonexclusive assumptions (could be more, just not going to speculate without cause)
  • a staunch believer in liquid salt water and sand
  • agnostic on decay/loopist/April 1 velociraptors outcomes
  • confident it would either loop or terminate by 2013-04-01
  • strongly in favor of starting neologistic cults about food
  • supporting TimeWaiters as the designation mostly on the grounds that it might involve wearing tuxedos.

As I went through the Dayapix Of Weird Religions And Food, I remember being delighted to see what percent of what look like long-term sig lines come from one early dayapix of good quotes.

Newpage 116-117: More strife over religious naming and camelCase. Yawn. TimeWaiters is obviously the superior choice.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

Randammit. I've got the urge to record my songified BlitzGirl-poem, but my mic is currently at my bandmate's house ready for our gig tomorrow. Bah.

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

waveney wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:

Using Zorin_75's enhanced contrast here is the latest map with highlighted features (I have added a few more). In some cases the features is clearer unenhanced.

2. Another Square dot - somewhere in the region of Carcassone to Beziers. Carcassone might be a good working assunption
3. Possible dot -could be Huelva or some place near it
4. Another Square dot and some small writing - New Rome?
8. Beanish 34cGX
9. Two Beanish Labels: 2JMX' and 433? The castle also apears to have a square blob.
10. Possible square blob and writing - some where between Algiers and Bejaia
11. River name?
12. Another named Sea? Adriatic?
13. Another named Sea?
14. Name of River?
15. Another named Sea? Adriatic?
16. Duck? (See unenhanced)
17. River name?
18. The heavy dotted line here overlaps - might be mustard

Spoiler:
time map.png

9 could be Les-Baux-de-Provence. My guess is that the square dots are indeed castles.
My blog on Beanish: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

thanks for the warm welcome-backing
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”