1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1360

Postby azule » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:20 am UTC

SBN wrote:
azule wrote:
Ebonite wrote:Maybe he should wait until the price of flexible screen technology comes down. Then he can sell t-shirts that display the entire OTC on the front, one frame at a time, changing the image automatically in real-time just like the comic did. :-)

The idea has been proposed. It is still a good idea. I would add: and on the back of the shirt = the title text (which would also change at the appropriate time). :)!

I think, for optimum viewing and hygienic purposes, the t-shirt should come with a speed control, so you could set the viewing time according to how long you'll be wearing the shirt. Sort of don't want a shirt that works best when worn for 4 months straight.

College kids might. Especially if sweat cleans the shirt. The more you wear it the cleaner it gets. 8-) :mrgreen: :wink:

Papal Edit: Since I'm still a bit worried about the OTT, the decree is to post and fill up this page. It better be filled by the Time I arrive in the Present. :!:

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:27 am UTC

luckyONG:

Hmm...it seems we have a time-traveler molpying about in our past luckypix...pretty sure I didn't see that the first Time around...
(I'm not going to give it away, but click the image to hop over to mscha's Time After Time viewer and see what changed in Lucky's story.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1361

Postby azule » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:44 am UTC

I animated this great set of colpix:
...and feel ashamed that I forgot to whom they belonged. I won't hazard a guess for fear of offending. Please claim ownership and take a bow. :)

Vytron wrote:Finally, some guy in the Forum Games section that now and then pokes fun at me for being a Time Follower asked me "I heard Time ended, how does it feel?" - That was the greatest evidence of an end that I had (and probably spoiled that it ended somehow), so what I did is was considering the possibility that he didn't know and was lying, and then added him to my Ignore List and stopped visiting some Forum Games threads to not be certain of anything.

Ouch. I think that's the worst way to get personal news. From a jerk that teases you. *pats* I recall something similar happening to me (but not what of) and it feels terrible. In a way this makes it feel better that someone like edo spoiled us instead of a hater. Sure, maybe there was an impure reason behind it, but as people have said, xe was an overall nice OTTer. :)

Kittyless Redundaspoiler: (sorry :()
Spoiler:
1968-sky.gif

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:00 am UTC

That was jjjdavidson - I'm surprised it wasn't on the wiki; I'll go add the newly animated version. :)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

superluminal

Postby superluminal » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:34 am UTC

Throwing a firstpost forward (from NP1385):

MistyCat wrote:Hi there, I'm MistyCat. Male, elderly.
I see XKCD on RSS, and I'm one of the ones who saw only the first frame. Unclean, unclean...
I started blitzing two days ago, I'm now reading Page 100. I shall reach the end.

Mr Munroe, I genuflect in your general direction.

Hi MistyCat, and welcome!

azule
Saved

Blind-Appreciation NP1362

Postby azule » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:40 am UTC

Thanks for the sigcouragement Vytron, TheMinim, and others who were so kind to encourage us lost in Time.

Thanks for the cake/hugs/ice cream, BlitzGirl, ZoomanSP, CasCat, Soup, k.bookbinder, jeffallen55 & pelrigg:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:O......K...... np(m)3089....NP1254.... a possible 5np away from the last newpix...but it says THE END???? Yes, I concur: dafuq, cry (dry tears), NOOOO, et cetera! Et Cetera, I say!\

Oh dear. :( Time for hugs and ice cream for azule! Image

ZoomanSP wrote:And here's some ice cream cake for azule:

Mike and Ikes? How apropos. :)

CasCat wrote:Poor Azule. Someone find the icecream! (What, it's all been eaten? MAKE MORE!)

...w/response from Soup. I think that was for me. Thanks!

k.bookbinder wrote:Um...all I could find was ice cream cake. I do hope Azule likes it.

jeffallen55 wrote:For Exodies, thirds, azule, and all blitzers approaching the Voldeframe, I present you with my own creation: a white chocolate red velvet mint ice cream sandwich! Image

Taste: 8/10
Presentation: 4/10 (needs a chocolate drizzle {and a better camera})
Texture/Consistency: 6/10 (need to come up with a way to keep the cookies soft and the ice cream unmelty)
Wow, nice to get a homemade/real cookie. I eat it virtually. *nom*

pelrigg wrote:Let's see: azule, Exodies, & TheMinim made it to The Event I see. Late hugs and ice cream to all.

...and thanks for the sympathy, mscha and thirds:
Spoiler:
thirds wrote:
azule wrote:O......K...... np(m)3089....NP1254.... a possible 5np away from the last newpix...but it says THE END???? Yes, I concur: dafuq, cry (dry tears), NOOOO, et cetera! Et Cetera, I say!

That wound is still fresh...

mscha wrote:Poor azule, poor Exodies...

...and final thanks to all nice thought givers from the periods preceding my Event post. *hugs to all here and there* I guess it's time to say how I feel that I didn't deserve this, especially with how many of you in the Present didn't get some similar brouhaha. I didn't deserve this, but fuck, it was nice anyways! Thanks! *hugs to all who made it alive through The Event* *pours a Cuegan 40 for those who didn't make it or are now gone*

HES wrote:
azule wrote:This place was very welcoming for people's efforts.

IS, future azule, IS. But you're suffering from grief exhaustion so I won't send you to the basement.

Haha, thanks. :P I did mean "was" in the sense of the Past wherein I started OTTifying and "was" welcomed to continue. BTW, thanks for your nice responses and expressions of concern while I was still reaching T** **d. :)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:43 am UTC

I see XKCD on RSS, and I'm one of the ones who saw only the first frame. Unclean, unclean...
I started blitzing two days ago, I'm now reading Page 100. I shall reach the end.

Yay, another blitzer! Image
Don't feel too unclean - we each experience Time a little differently, and all who observe it are welcome here!

(Hmm, something is up with the Time part of Kieryn's site...I was looking for a smiley and got slapped by a 503.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:57 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:That was jjjdavidson - I'm surprised it wasn't on the wiki; I'll go add the newly animated version. :)

I've added all three to the database as well. I am still working on it, but adding the songs seems to take a lot longer than expected. I've added the lyrics to about 35 songs this morning and didn't have made a dent in the about 300 of them :( . They are all great and often I can't resist re-reading them, which hinders my progress ... :?
Also I need to find a solution to the ordering problem and finally get the search function going.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:09 am UTC

Hi! We are getting a fair few blitzers, aren't we? :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

superluminal

Postby superluminal » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:17 am UTC

Spoiler:
entropy.png
entropy.png (30.51 KiB) Viewed 14970 times

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:19 am UTC

Image I want that shirt!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:01 am UTC

I don't even know what entropy is, but still, nice t-shirt! :D
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:58 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:luckyONG:
Hmm...it seems we have a time-traveler molpying about in our past luckypix...pretty sure I didn't see that the first Time around...
(I'm not going to give it away, but click the image to hop over to mscha's Time After Time viewer and see what changed in Lucky's story.)

That was added only 15 minutes after you posted the ONG saying that lucky wasn't a cat that likes water. Thought I would add something that does...

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:30 am UTC

SPORONGIOSPORES...

-- posted by newpixbot

Edited to fix viewer link
Last edited by mscha on Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:33 am UTC

mscha wrote:SPORONGIOSPORES...
Spoiler:

-- posted by newpixbot

Seems newpix bot is mostly working except the link he gives goes to the normal viewer. It's interesting that it still picks up the 0022 bit in the link name and goes to frame 22 of the OTC. Anyway just a minor thing to fix at some point I guess.

ETA: Also I wonder what lucky is thinking about as he looks off into the water.

superluminal

Re: OTTercomic #1039

Postby superluminal » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Image

:lol: Brilliant! I suppose this is the first time we see sand on a table instead of a computer? Just brilliant. That should happen more often IRL too.. Except that it's freakingly hard to ottify with a sandcastle.

Sciscitor

Re: OTTercomic #1039

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:55 am UTC

superluminal wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Image

:lol: Brilliant! I suppose this is the first time we see sand on a table instead of a computer? Just brilliant. That should happen more often IRL too.. Except that it's freakingly hard to ottify with a sandcastle.

Well, there is sand to play with on a table: kinetic sand!
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:57 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:Do you remember this one?
I posted it ages ago, but only as a grey-scale.

Oh yes, now I do! And, Also, it reminds me that I meant to congratulate you on your bed! The DIY projects in my life are in the same state they were in nearly a year ago, and the cribbage boards I wanted to make my friends for last Christmas are still undrilled. Sigh. I raise a glass to your DIY chops, and even moreso, your ability to actually finish things!

I was granted a little extra time to spend here, and backed up a wix. Really enjoyed your Mediterranean molpies, higgs-boson, the haunting BlitzGirl poem and Vytron's comic. And ooh - a new AotC! I must check to see if I missed more than one....

I got a big smile from Charlie's Burma-Shave poems. Back when we were talking about Time being a new art form, it was the Burma-Shave ads that made me think, maybe not. I wonder if Time could go back to this form - maybe not a highway, but perhaps a trail? - to regain what it has lost by being done and recorded. Now, if someone is introduced to Time, they'll just use a viewer and miss out on what waiting for it was like. Even if they decide to blitz the OTT, they'll be reading the frame-by-frame speculation, not speculating themselves. What if you were on a long hike with some friends and every 20 paces there was a newpix nailed to a tree? Hmm, you wouldn't be doing much molpy hunting that way.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

smolloy

Blitz pause

Postby smolloy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

:(
Sadly real-life has got in the way of my blitz, and it will be quite some time (if ever) before I will be able to pick it up again. :( Apologies to all.
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

smolloy wrote::(
Sadly real-life has got in the way of my blitz, and it will be quite some time (if ever) before I will be able to pick it up again. :( Apologies to all.

Hey - you don't need to apologise! It's just life.

Or there's the basement...

StormAngel

Re: "Single Un-False Needle-Pulled-Thing"

Postby StormAngel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
StormAngel wrote:Do you remember this one?
I posted it ages ago, but only as a grey-scale.

Oh yes, now I do! And, Also, it reminds me that I meant to congratulate you on your bed! The DIY projects in my life are in the same state they were in nearly a year ago, and the cribbage boards I wanted to make my friends for last Christmas are still undrilled. Sigh. I raise a glass to your DIY chops, and even moreso, your ability to actually finish things!
<snip>

Thanks, but it's actually not quite finished yet, I still need to put a motor on the sliding door for the PrintrBot shelf.
Here's a pic I too a minute ago of my desk. I currently have a motor controller connected to a R/C receiver and a kill switch - and it works!! :D

Anyway, its Time for me to molpy down now
Spoiler:
Wait for it
Sorry, but I'm too lazy to google for molpy downs right now
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

intheshax

Postby intheshax » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

Molpy up!

azule wrote:Papal Edit: Since I'm still a bit worried about the OTT, the decree is to post and fill up this page. It better be filled by the Time I arrive in the Present. :!:

Per decree I logged on when I got up to check the luckyONGs (told you it was working) and saw some stuff to reply to.

I fact (as if you can't tell) I installed the multiquote script by Pikrass to do it. Very nice.

ucim wrote:On a note related to other forms of story telling, here is Star Wars in ASCII animation.

Pretty cool, despite a bit of mustard at the end. :)

Jose

You could spend a thousand lifetimes staring at LOLcats and pictures of other people's kids, thinking as hard as you could, and you'd never guess the intertubes had things like this in it.

superluminal wrote:Throwing a firstpost forward (from NP1385):

Hi MistyCat, and welcome!

Hi, MistyCat way in the past from the nearer past of your distant future! If you make it far enough to read this, let me tell you (assuming you are still male and elderly when you get here) "Good show, old man!"

smolloy wrote::(

I hope that smolloy resumes. I enjoyed the little pieces of history coming from the past.

So good U.S. Eastern Daylight morning, OTT. I hope you have a good day. I'm going to coma a little bit more.

And a super-belated thanks, Pikrass. Such a nice script.

Molpy down!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

ChronosDragon is bored driving from Nevada to Utah? Well, if you really made a detour through the mid-west, that might explain it. (Okay, it can get a bit monotonous, but boring? Okay, I-80 a bit, maybe; you should've taken US-50.)
I hope you make it to the southeastern half of Utah – if you think that's boring, then I don't know what's wrong with you... Image

That's a ⁴ related song, superluminal! Looking forward to your ottification of it.

Awefulsome OTTherComic, BlitzGirl! Image

BlitzGirl wrote:Hmm...it seems we have a time-traveler molpying about in our past luckypix...pretty sure I didn't see that the first Time around...

I don't see a difference – I'm fairly sure all frames looked like this the first time I saw them.
Unfortunately, I don't “download” the images at ONG time, so I can't do a comparison. (I might have to do something about that...)

Nicely animated, azule!

Latent22 wrote:Seems newpix bot is mostly working except the link he gives goes to the normal viewer. It's interesting that it still picks up the 0022 bit in the link name and goes to frame 22 of the OTC. Anyway just a minor thing to fix at some point I guess.

Oops... Image
I've had a quiet talk with newpixbot, and it assures me this won't happen again. It also traveled back in time to fix its earlier mistakes.

Yay all Blitzers! Sorry to see that smolloy won't have time, hope that changes soon.
Here's some cake for all of you.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

So I wrote an ottification of Charlotte or Otis, by Jenny Omnichord, but I can't even find a way to buy that online any more, except on CD or in the archived old version of Zunior (which you probably can't create a new account on) let alone listen to it. [Edit: Oh, you can also buy it on iTunes. I disregarded that because I was looking to places where you could listen to the whole thing at the time] It does seem to be on spotify and deezer though, so maybe people with accounts on those can listen to it. It's on the albums "Charlotte or Otis" and "Pregnancy 'P". I'd recommend buying the album to hear it if you like cute songs with omnichords in them, such as this one about what happens to molpies when they e**; Charlotte or Otis was about a not-yet-born baby, which apparently was to be named after one of the molpies in the aforelinked song.

Anyway, here's my ottification (the rhythm may be a bit weird in places because it fits where the tune in the original song varies, but now you can't hear the original song. Drat.)

Anyway, this ottification is based on this definition of a molpy:

Exodies wrote:If you want to cuddle it, it's a molpy.

and I started writing it before the LuckyONGs, but now seemed like a good time to finish it. :) I may do a drawing of the first few lines with my new tablet, but I've already put off more Outside-important things on my to-do list to finish this, so I'd better just post it.

Molpy or Raptor (Lucky's Song)
an ottification of Charlotte or Otis, by Jenny Omnichord

Are you a little molpy, or are you a little raptor?
Did you just want a hug, or do you wish you had thwapped 'er?

Pixel blob looked safe at first when Lucky came to play
Then Cueball noticed something wrong and jumped into its way.
The cat got Cueball, Meg thwapped it, and it seemed he was okay,
but the damage was revealed after our Lucky ran away.

Megan's leg was bleeding and the claws got Cueball's bag,
So Megan had to use the little flag.
They worried she would need some help, but went back on their way
Through fading light, til they called it a day

Megan had to get some rest, so Cueball stayed up waiting
for jaguars and shooting stars while tiredly contemplating
all his wonderings and worries, till he'd done with concentrating
He woke up Meg in time to hear the chirpy birds migrating.

He couldn't sleep or dream at all no matter how he tried,
Megan bravely bleeding by his side.
But finally fatigue took over, sleep came with a yawn.
Megan shook him back, and it was dawn.

Future Megan had her leg healed, and she learned they had to run
Future Cueball soon forgot what molpyraptorcat had done,
If a molpy, or a raptor, Lucky ran when they came toward it
to the hills on lower ground, and lower safety they afford it.
Last edited by Angelastic on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Swein

Postby Swein » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

This is fun
superluminal wrote:I may have discovered a new way to make sand castles out of sand and water. No salt or coffee or ... needed. I've been doing this for a couple of years, but I can't remember whether I saw someone else doing this on a beach or did I just invent this by myself.

The idea is to use very wet sand and to pour it on the construction as "layers". It's hard to give exact instrucions on how wet the sand should be, but I suppose you can figure it out quite easily once you try this. It's essential to build near water so you can take sand easily from the water and add it immediately to the construction.

Here are some photos from this summer. Megan and Cueball were still walkONG when these were taken...
Spoiler:

(This is just a part of the fortress we built.)

And then...
cellocgw wrote:...
Not to destroy your glee, but we were making castles that way in 1960, and I strongly suspect my Dad taught us that because he'd been doing it that way rather farther into the waywayback.

My self I learned this method as grown up, in the 90ies, from a mom in another family. I have never seen any other than our two families use it (this was in Sweden), so I have always wondered how wide spread it is. It is cool as the constructions are much more durable than those you build the common way.
The past is full of traps, charms and mirages, but if you just keep up with with what you are doing it will all be fine.

the_Dex

Postby the_Dex » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

Hello from way back!

Whew, Outside is whoopin' on me. Haven't been able to sit down and blitz for a while. On the positive side though, seeing the NP count grow let's me know the future continues on. :D

Guess I need to be more aggressive in applying my sig.
embracethehate wrote:"hey, can you-"
"Sorry, can't. Sandcastle."

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

the_Dex wrote:Hello from way back!

Whew, Outside is whoopin' on me. Haven't been able to sit down and blitz for a while. On the positive side though, seeing the NP count grow let's me know the future continues on. :D

Guess I need to be more aggressive in applying my sig.

Hello from the future. :)

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Thankee to all Greeters & Welcomers in the Paulo-Pre-Future.

I've made it to 146/1386
I shall reach the end.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:I don't even know what entropy is, but still, nice t-shirt! :D
Entropy is a measure of the disorder of a system. A system with a warm area and a cool area has less entropy (disorder) than the same system after mixing to a uniform temperature, because (on a molecular scale) there are more different ways the system can "look the same" as a mixed one than as a segregated one. A warm system has greater entropy than an (otherwise) equivalent cool one, because there are more different ways the molecules can be gadding about quickly than there are ways for them to stay still. One of the fundamentals of thermodynamics (and thus, our universe) is that in a closed system, entropy never decreases. Systems tend towards disorder. To impose order ("to reduce entropy") in some given area requires the input of energy, which increases entropy somewhere else.

"Water seeking its level" (and flooding the Mediterranean basin) is another result of the tendency for entropy to increase. Separating the water from the dry land reduces the number of possible arrangements of molecules, and so requires energy (and in increase in entropy elsewhere).

There are specific mathematical expressions that define and govern entropy, but this should do for a start. :)

@MistyCat - Welcome, and Randalspeed! (though I see you are already moving pretty quickly! Do you have a BlitzRocket?)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Entropy is a measure of the disorder of a system. A system with a warm area and a cool area has less entropy (disorder) than the same system after mixing to a uniform temperature, because (on a molecular scale) there are more different ways the system can "look the same" as a mixed one than as a segregated one. A warm system has greater entropy than an (otherwise) equivalent cool one, because there are more different ways the molecules can be gadding about quickly than there are ways for them to stay still. One of the fundamentals of thermodynamics (and thus, our universe) is that in a closed system, entropy never decreases. Systems tend towards disorder. To impose order ("to reduce entropy") in some given area requires the input of energy, which increases entropy somewhere else.

"Water seeking its level" (and flooding the Mediterranean basin) is another result of the tendency for entropy to increase. Separating the water from the dry land reduces the number of possible arrangements of molecules, and so requires energy (and in increase in entropy elsewhere).

There are specific mathematical expressions that define and govern entropy, but this should do for a start. :)

Thanks! It sounds interesting. :D

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Molpy or Raptor (Lucky's Song)
an ottification of Charlotte or Otis, by Jenny Omnichord
Spoiler:

Pixel blob looked safe at first when Lucky came to play
Then Cueball noticed something wrong and jumped into its way.
The cat got Cueball, Meg thwapped it, and it seemed he was okay,
but the damage was revealed after our Lucky ran away.

Megan's leg was bleeding and the claws got Cueball's bag,
So Megan had to use the little flag.
They worried she would need some help, but went back on their way
Through fading light, til they called it a day

Megan had to get some rest, so Cueball stayed up waiting
for jaguars and shooting stars while tiredly contemplating
all his wonderings and worries, till he'd done with concentrating
He woke up Meg in time to hear the chirpy birds migrating.

He couldn't sleep or dream at all no matter how he tried,
Megan bravely bleeding by his side.
But finally fatigue took over, sleep came with a yawn.
Megan shook him back, and it was dawn.

Future Megan had her leg healed, and she learned they had to run
Future Cueball soon forgot what molpyraptorcat had done,
If a molpy, or a raptor, Lucky ran when they came toward it
to the hills on lower ground, and lower safety they afford it.

That's a sweet ⁴ ottification, Angelastic! Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

VENTONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

That island is getting awful small.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

waveney

Postby waveney » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

OTTercomic time:

xkcd.com/856/

Spoiler:
856 modified.png

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

Easy: just Google for the Rules of Thermodynamics. Colloquially translatable as:

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't get out of the Game.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Database Milestone Update:
The lyrics of 100 ottified songs (and a few YT links) have been added to the database. About 160 still to go... phew.
Users are now sorted alphabetically and got their little sparkline on the lest too.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Easy: just Google for the Rules of Thermodynamics. Colloquially translatable as:

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Cake.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:the Rules of Thermodynamics. Colloquially translatable as:

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
And each of the major philosophies is based on the negation of one of these rules.

Capitalism is based on the idea that you can win.
Socialism is based on the idea that you can break even.
Mysticism is based on the idea that you can get out of the game.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
cellocgw wrote:the Rules of Thermodynamics. Colloquially translatable as:

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
And each of the major philosophies is based on the negation of one of these rules.

Capitalism is based on the idea that you can win.
Socialism is based on the idea that you can break even.
Mysticism is based on the idea that you can get out of the game.

Jose

nice :)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

HES

Postby HES » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

Molpy up...

Blitzgirl (or someone equally talented), could you draw me a (static) top down version of one of these guys? I need them to OTTify something.
ImageImage
There's a box of kittens and a box of kittens in it for you.
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”