1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Whoa this is heavy

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:57 am UTC

ucim wrote:
azule wrote:Why would having friends help with rearing children, Jose?
My supposition is that wanting to make friends makes it more likely that you'll find a mate... which will make it more likely that you'll have children to rear. So, evolution primes us to be more social during those prime years.

Jose

It irks me when people personify evolution. And when they treat social behaviour as mere biology. I think it cheapens emotions to interpret them in such pragmatic terms.

48 time machines...

Decree: smile at someone today who you otherwise wouldn't.
[edit to fix mustard tag]
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:40 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Nopixly OSH

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:07 am UTC

OSH

This is a beesnake.
What newpix is it from?

Redundant:
Spoiler:

OSH031.png
OSH031.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 11248 times

Keywords: BGOSH
redundant152.png
redundant152.png (190.96 KiB) Viewed 11248 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Tatiana

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Tatiana » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:08 am UTC

Finally back in the present! So many wowterful creative things I saw on my latest ketchup. Forgive me for not listing them individually. I'm going to have to learn how to do that soon. Whoever said the OTT is like an artists' colony made me very happy. There's no reason it has to end at all. We can keep making things and showing them to each other as long as we like. Or for those who don't create stuff themselves, they can hang around and appreciate what the other otters make. I'm mostly in that category, though one of the greatest things about the OTT is how it inspires us to dare to create.

For the decree that generated so many interesting introspective posts, I have to say that I think I'm exactly the same online as in person. I've made lots of friends online in the last decade or so, and of all the ones I've met later in real life, they were just like they were online, and after about 5 minutes of strangeness, it felt like we had known each other well all along. And then we forgot we weren't already good friends IRL as well as online, and we got along famously. So I can't see how that would happen so consistently without us all being very much the same people online as IRL. I will say that I feel very comfortable with text. I read a lot, and so if I inhale books so much, then it means I exhale writing as part of the same process. So that helps me be me here, I guess. I do get teased sometimes IRL and online for having a big vocabulary. I don't mind that because I never felt like I should apologize for being well-educated, if that's what I am. My schooling has certainly not been outstanding, so I guess it just means again that I read a lot. I like words and wordplay, even puns (sorry Blitzgirl). I dig science very much, and also science fiction. The fantasy I like the most is Tolkien's and Ursula K. Le Guin's, because they are the only ones I've read whose fantasy worlds feel real. Of science fiction, I prefer the harder sort.

Oh, I think one reason why I seem even more myself online than in real life, if that's possible, is that I don't correspond well with people's stereotypes. So online people's gender and age are less apparent, though I've never tried to hide those things. I think I come across as younger than my chronological age, and culturally people my age to me seem older than me. Their music and ideas, mostly. Also, I'm a fairly geeky female. I majored in Electrical Engineering and played around with industrial machinery and control systems for my work. It's fun for me to design stuff to do what I want it to do. I did some programming back in the ancient days of mainframes and minicomputers. I remember running an entire large insurance company on a mainframe with 1 megabyte of memory. But I jumped over to industrial controllers just for the fun of pushing bigger stuff around, rather than just electrons. So I bond with my geeky brothers and sisters online just because they're easier to find there than in real life. In real life I've always been one of the geekiest if not the geekiest person around. That's kind of a low bar most places, but when I worked for a company that employed thousands of engineers, I was one of probably about the top 10 geekiest ones there. So even though I'm fairly sociable and make friends with coworkers, I feel most at home among my very best friends whom I first met online. It sucks that we all live so far apart and so rarely are able to travel to be together in real life, though it's nice that it doesn't matter much where we go live in the world, we can still stay in close daily touch by chatting and texting and so on. I really love this thread that has so many intelligent and creative people on it. I think a lot of us have potential to become real life friends, as well.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:35 am UTC

Five bucks says there will be another chapter.

ETA: ooh, and the epilogue sequence has changed again after 2 repetitions. Since this rhyme scheme lasted two cycles last time too, maybe we're going to see the whole thing repeating now. The numbers of repeated cycles is now 3, 2, 9, 10, 10, 2.

Another epilogue note is that the colours on mscha's site have changed so that each rhyme scheme has its own colour - very nice! It makes it easier to see what's going on, and better yet, means that mscha is alive and well, even if he hasn't had enough Time to be here lately. :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:33 am UTC

walkONG

Lovely decree following, people. :) Thanks. It was a pleasure to read.

P.S. Finished watching Planet of Apes. Was okay. Glad it ended. Stupid spoiler ending was totally guessable. :P

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:00 am UTC

ggh wrote:Another epilogue note is that the colours on mscha's site have changed so that each rhyme scheme has its own colour - very nice! It makes it easier to see what's going on, and better yet, means that mscha is alive and well, even if he hasn't had enough Time to be here lately. :)

I can't see any colors. :( All of the letters appear gray now.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:07 am UTC

How existential of you.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:10 am UTC

Me in thread vs. me out thread:

In thread: Saying stuff, saying stuff, random, random, cake, pie, banana fudge souffle.

Out of thread: ................ (<--- Agonising to say something but really can't)

Out of thread with one (and only one!) other person who I'm comfortable with: Saying stuff, saying stuff, random, random, cake, pie, banana fudge souffle.

Corinne: Wait; there's a place outside of this thread?

TheMinim: *facepalm*
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Seeking Rainbows
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

BlitzGirl

Sketch: "In the Castle"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:40 am UTC

The late-night wipend sketching continues...

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Full size:
InTheCastle.png

Small size:
InTheCastleSmall.png

Keywords: BGUM sketch Rosetta Lucky raptorcat hairdo meowlpy cat leopard keyboard castle drawing picture image
redundant153.png
redundant153.png (54.16 KiB) Viewed 11095 times
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:41 am UTC

Great pictures, Blitzgirl!
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:10 am UTC

Rosetta and Lucky, yay!

BlitzGirl, question: are these pen and paper sketches, paper scanned and manipulated, or fully tabletized?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:39 am UTC

Thanks, Tatiana! :)
azule wrote:BlitzGirl, question: are these pen and paper sketches, paper scanned and manipulated, or fully tabletized?

Fully digital, made with the tablet.
I start by sketching in gray, much like I would with a pencil, then add shading and layers of texture. I adjust the contrast, add a bit of color, final tweaks, and done!
Here's a pseudo-process gif that shows the layering process:
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

InTheCastleProcess.gif

Keywords: BGUM process gif animated layers sketch drawing sketching Rosetta Lucky castle
redundant154.png
redundant154.png (172.47 KiB) Viewed 11030 times
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:43 am UTC

Holy shit, I finally found Vytron in the XKCDSW thread...and he's a fucking Blitzer from way back in 2009!

I hereby declare him to be BlitzGirl The Zeroeth. 8-)

P.S. None of your images worked *sad molpy face* so could you reattach them or something so I may marvel at what the Present dwellers of that thread got to enjoy, please! (Peaking ahead with the viewer I find that a few still work, such as this great one of #659.)

Eternal Density

They Rise

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:51 am UTC

Rosetta and Lucky... That's kinda ominous. #panthersalveconspiracy
Great art though.
I have 150 grandmas and 201MCps.I think it's Time for One Mind...

Yay 215 and creepy background.

Edited to retype hashtag because stupid SwiftKey deleted it.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

HES

Re: Sketch: "In the Castle"

Postby HES » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:53 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The late-night wipend sketching continues...

Spoiler:

It was all a conspiracy!

azule wrote:I think most of us would sound really dumb if we wrote like we talked.

Sometimes I do, and sometimes I do, and sometimes sometimes are sometimes but other times sometimes are other times. This is, and isn't, one of those times.
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:54 am UTC

Thanks, ED! Have fun with the evil c**kie-makers. :)

azule wrote:Holy shit mustard, I finally found Vytron in the XKCDSW thread...and he's a fucking ch*rping Blitzer from way back in 2009!

FTFY. :wink: Vytron was blitzing before we had a word for reading it all! Treeish!
But...does that action grant him the specific title of BlitzGirl? I thought that was only awarded for blitzing the OTT. Definitely a pre-Time blitzer, though!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

#panthersalveconspiracy

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:08 am UTC

I remember blitzing the xkcdsw thread way back also. Probably didn't post about it though.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:24 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Fully digital, made with the tablet.
I start by sketching in gray, much like I would with a pencil, then add shading and layers of texture. I adjust the contrast, add a bit of color, final tweaks, and done!
I'm in awe of how non-digital that looks.

Eternal Density wrote:I remember blitzing the xkcdsw thread way back also. Probably didn't post about it though.
Blitzers post about it, so nope, you didn't blitz. :P EDIT: Or, you were a silent Blitzer. Do we have those?

BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:Holy shit mustard, I finally found Vytron in the XKCDSW thread...and he's a fucking ch*rping Blitzer from way back in 2009!

FTFY. :wink: Vytron was blitzing before we had a word for reading it all! Treeish!
But...does that action grant him the specific title of BlitzGirl? I thought that was only awarded for blitzing the OTT. Definitely a pre-Time blitzer, though!

Thanks for FT, BG. :)
But, um, BlitzGirl herself, you, is in other threads....*shrug*

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:43 am UTC

azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Thanks for FT, BG. :)
But, um, BlitzGirl herself, you, is in other threads....*shrug*

I suppose if we Wait for Jose to molpy back in here he can clear things up. The Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction is very particular about titling blitzers, as I recall. :D
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:46 am UTC

azule wrote:Do I spot yappo pining for papalhood? :D 8-)

ucim wrote:My supposition is that wanting to make friends makes it more likely that you'll find a mate... which will make it more likely that you'll have children to rear. So, evolution primes us to be more social during those prime years.
Hah. I still don't quite get it, but for me...making friends never amounted to making girlfriends. Even when there was a female in my little clique, I never got past the awkward stage of not interacting with her. lol. But regardless of all of my history, children have been reared by this awkward asocial boy.

Just because it is possible without friends doesn't mean having friends wouldn't have made it easier. One of the things I learned a bit too late is that I needed to have friends among the parents of my kids' friends.

It gets harder to make friends as you age, so make the effort to keep friendships, and when you have opportunities to make friends, make that effort too. (I should probably take my own advice more.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Eternal Density

240MCps

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

Molpy Down!

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Opiboble wrote:OW, THE PUN! IT HURTS!

There, there. I've taken care of it.

Fixed it with Punther Salve, did you?

eta: Outside life has been plenty hectic lately. I look in and SSM* I'm many NP in the past again. Skipping forward randomly I'm surely missing much. Maybe I'll have to reblitz if/when things quieten down again. Will I ever ketchup?
Last edited by mikro2nd on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

I FIXED IT WITH A PUNSAW LIKE THIS:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:39 pm UTC

Did the reset for the shadow achievements and was glad i saw the "True Neverclick" before I did the 15 clicks (instead, I waited for lucky cookies). Now I back in the business with 100Mcps, but all I get is "502: bad gateway". Looks like even the internet is overwhelmed with cooookies.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

BlitzGirl

Coma Time

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

Welp, I'm up past 400MC/s and my grannys have morphed into demonic blobs. I think it's Time to molpy down.

(I knew no good could come from those ch*rping c**kies.)

I'm posting some adorable meowlpies in the hope that I will dream of them instead of getting nightmares:
Spoiler:

Molpy
molpy
molpy
molpy
molpy
down.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

waveney

Beany ONG

Postby waveney » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

HES

Re: Coma Time

Postby HES » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm posting some adorable meowlpies in the hope that I will dream of them instead of getting nightmares:

I was in an early-coma dream state last night when I was partially awoken by a notification about the facebook group. The result was a cookieful, OTTified half awake dream that was one of the weirdest experiences I've had in a long time...
He/Him/His Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

azule wrote:
P.S. Finished watching Planet of Apes. Was okay. Glad it ended. Stupid spoiler ending was totally guessable. :P

Ummm-- which version? 1968Heston, or that doofusy 2001 remake?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Database update: Finished adding ottifications up to and including NP1361. Did some debugging on the HTML (which should now conform to HTML5) and added the infrastructure for OTCManips. There are now 480 ottifications in the database.
Sorry, still no search function. :(
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote: This is new. Did you think it was related to EoD?
It's all related. :) It just seemed like a part of a larger thing, and just because I can't connect the threads right now doesn't mean I won't be surprised later. However, I'll start a separate mental file for this one.

I know... I'm not supposed to expect a sequel. But as the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, I expect the unexpected. Sometimes this leads to... unexpected results. :)

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Awesomeful! You really have quite a talent for this!

@Sciscitor - Great work on the database! Thank you so much!

Eternal Density wrote:It irks me when people personify evolution.
How am I doing that? (and what does it mean?) Natural selection is not about any one case, but about the aggregate. Reproduction is the most basic driving force of evolution, and while individuals have a very wide range of behavior, it would make sense that there would be tendency towards behavior that increases the ability of a population to survive and grow (since we're at the tail end of this survival and growage). It could be individual (make more people) or community (be support for other tribe members), but species that don't do this well are outcompeted, over time.

This one data point is suggestive of the proposed link.

SBN wrote:It gets harder to make friends as you age, so make the effort to keep friendships, and when you have opportunities to make friends, make that effort too. (I should probably take my own advice more.)
Amen!

Hmmm... BlitzGirl the Zeroth... it's tempting. But... we must check the Holy Records (which is going to be a bit problematic, as they are all wet, in more than one sense!) It is certainly not necessary to post Gospel in order to be a BlitzGirl... Selcouth himself (the first BlitzGirl the Next to be officially commemorated) blitzed in silence, without even an account at the time. Being a BlitzGirl is inextricably tied to the One True Thread and its First and Greatest Commandment, that being, to Wait For It. Many, perhaps most, do not fully appreciate the depth and intensity with which we are called upon to do so, and that is ok. The Calling is not for everyone, and it is not for us mere mortals to judge. But if you feel The Calling, it is unmistakable; you will know it. There will be a Great Void in your soul, and you will despair from not Waiting For It; from not experiencing Time in its own Time.

There is only one remedy, and that is to drink fully from the One True Thread, and thus to experience Time in its own time, until this Great Chasm has been filled. That is the essence of being a BlitzGirl.

There has been some controversy over whether one needed to forsake the Present Time in order to do this; a brief schism occured in the Holy Order, but the Voldeframe and the resulting publicity rendered that discussion moot. Time has ended (though its soul will continue forever), the same way that all of us, one day, will also end. One can certainly be a BlitzGirl, blitzing the Past, while keeping a foot in the post-end-of-Time Present.

But surely this can only apply to the One True Thread, and the One True Comic. Anything else is clearly heretical.

There is, of course, the curious case of RobIrr... the fossil BlitzGirl, who blitzed the (much more riverish at the time) One True Thread before BlitzGirl came on the scene. Like all of us, he then fell back in Time, and applied various condiments to his soul as Time went on. Could he (or she) possibly be a BlitzGirl the zeroth?

Perhaps. It is one of the Great Mysteries of the OTT.

But to become a BlitzGirl through some other thread? Heresy of the highest order! Bring out the Comfy Chair, the s&ms, the burnt steak, the molten chocolate, the baked goods, the fruit bats, the breakfast cereals...

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

In breaking news, there was some stifled giggling when one of the songs chosen for worship service this morning was Holy, Holy, Holy.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ggh wrote:Another epilogue note is that the colours on mscha's site have changed so that each rhyme scheme has its own colour - very nice! It makes it easier to see what's going on, and better yet, means that mscha is alive and well, even if he hasn't had enough Time to be here lately. :)

Here? That's strange; I'm seeing blue, yellow, green, and purple. Btw, I'm loving your sketches!

Another thought about the epilogue sequence: since the last rhyme-schemes lasted 9, 10, 10, and 2 days, September is starting in the same place that August did. Perhaps the three cycles of the first one was just filler because we were at the end of the month. We'll have some idea in a month's time if one of the rhyme-schemes gets shorter by a day to fit in the 30 days of September.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

waveney

Beany ONG

Postby waveney » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

Thanks for the compliments on the sketch, xuys! :)

Sciscitor wrote:Database update: Finished adding ottifications up to and including NP1361. Did some debugging on the HTML (which should now conform to HTML5) and added the infrastructure for OTCManips. There are now 480 ottifications in the database.

Awesomeful, Sciscitor! The Database keeps getting molpier and molpier!

ggh wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Here? That's strange; I'm seeing blue, yellow, green, and purple.

I just checked with different browers: I can see the colors on Firefox v21 and Internet Explorer v9, but on Chrome v29 I only get gray. Mustardy Chrome.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

Blind posting again, since I can't ketch up.

Here is an alternative ending that I have been thinking of:

(Thanks to rule110 for the original version of the last image.)

Redundant
Spoiler:
Farrah0.png

Farrah1.png

rule110-faucet-remaniped.png
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Oh. My. Randall.

"Farrah Faucet."

. . . Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Me in thread vs. me out thread:

In thread: Saying stuff, saying stuff, random, random, cake, pie, banana fudge souffle.

Out of thread: ................ (<--- Agonising to say something but really can't)

Out of thread with one (and only one!) other person who I'm comfortable with: Saying stuff, saying stuff, random, random, cake, pie, banana fudge souffle.

That's actually a pretty good description of me, too. I'm extremely quiet when I'm in a group, but when I'm around only one person I often have trouble not talking.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:Blind posting again, since I can't ketch up.

Here is an alternative ending that I have been thinking of:
Spoiler:

(Thanks to rule110 for the original version of the last image.)
Ottiful! (The ott version of OTFL)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

mikrit.
genius.
Agatha the Awesomeful

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

@mikrit - Neat PunStory. hehe.

cellocgw wrote:
azule wrote:

Ummm-- which version? 1968Heston, or that doofusy 2001 remake?

2001. But aren't they both foodusy? I see waveney has an orangutan avatar, maybe xe can answer if they're supposed to fly. lol.

ucim wrote:Hmmm... BlitzGirl the Zeroth... it's tempting. But... we must check the Holy Records (which is going to be a bit problematic, as they are all wet, in more than one sense!) It is certainly not necessary to post Gospel in order to be a BlitzGirl... Selcouth himself (the first BlitzGirl the Next to be officially commemorated) blitzed in silence, without even an account at the time. Being a BlitzGirl is inextricably tied to the One True Thread and its First and Greatest Commandment, that being, to Wait For It.<snip/>

<snip/>

But to become a BlitzGirl through some other thread? Heresy of the highest order! Bring out the Comfy Chair, the s&ms, the burnt steak, the molten chocolate, the baked goods, the fruit bats, the breakfast cereals...
In your first paragraph you say the title is related to the one true command: to wait for it. I believe Vytron waited for it before he posted his own creations and thoughts, deeming them unworthy until he blitzed.

In your last paragraph you say it is heresy to suggest a BlitzGirl can exist outside of Time. First, thanks for the foods, haven't had that in a while, yum! I mean, yum, *sad face*. But I think we might be a little close minded here. My connection here is simple: not only is Vytron a BlitzGirl of Time, he exhibited this behavior before, making him eligible for an extension to his title, even if it's because of an OtherThread. Without him being a TimeWaiter, Blitzing the other thread would mean nothing. It makes it easier and less complicated that he's already a BlitzGirl. I see no reason, heretical or not, that he can not be deemed worthy. :)

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:It irks me when people personify evolution.
How am I doing that? (and what does it mean?) Natural selection is not about any one case, but about the aggregate. Reproduction is the most basic driving force of evolution, and while individuals have a very wide range of behavior, it would make sense that there would be tendency towards behavior that increases the ability of a population to survive and grow (since we're at the tail end of this survival and growage). It could be individual (make more people) or community (be support for other tribe members), but species that don't do this well are outcompeted, over time.
This one data point is suggestive of the proposed link.
I think part of your statement is missing from...your statement. You must not be simply saying "have a child" but "raise a child to adulthood successfully". Then I start to understand your community argument better.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”