1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
MistyCat wrote:BlindPosting from 500
Cheered by Sigcouragement from AluisioASG, Earthling on Mars and TheMinim

I've made it to 500/1433
I shall reach the end.

Hup MistyCat, hup MistyCat, hup MistyCat, hup MistyCat, hup MistyCat, you can do it!
Oh, ch*rp. He can't hear that in the past. Uhm.
Hup MistyCat, hup MistyCat, hup MistyCat, hup MistyCat, hup MistyCat, you can do it!!!!
did that work?

FTFY:
MistyCat wrote:Hi there, I'm MistyCat. Male, elderly.
I see XKCD on RSS, and I'm one of the ones who saw only the first frame. Unclean, unclean...
I started blitzing two days ago, I'm now reading Page 100. I shall reach the end.

Mr Munroe, I genuflect in your general direction.

Oops. Sorry MistyCat.

Uh, PFANP.
My decree: Click Cookies!
ETA: Did my decree crash the Cookieclicker site? I accidentally F5'ed and it gave me a 503. Ah it's better now.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

Image

Val's first-true-Blitz

Current Location: NP1416 / 1434

mrob27 wrote:I've made my own (simpler) newpix-to-OTT index, here:
http://mrob.com/time

Treeish data collecting, mrob! Only issue I see with this is that it continues way past T** E**. I'm sure this has been brought up before; if so, I apologize for being redundant. Wait, we don't have to apologize for that around here, do we? :P

MistyCat wrote:BlindPosting from 400
I've made it to 400/1413
I shall reach the end.

I'm blindposting a ketchup reply to a blindpost from the far Past. Who knows how long it will take you to see this, MistyCat, but randallspeed and enjoy your Blitzing. We'll be here with cake and things when you arrive!

cellocgw wrote:It occurs to me that, given that GLR consulted a linguist, he may actually know how to translate Beanish. You may have just posted some very dangerous messages. :twisted:

The GLR already stated in his interview that Beanish was absolutely translatable so I'm quite shocked it hasn't happened, yet. How's that blog going with the decoding? (I still get a happy kick out of the fact that every website heralding Time after T** E** used "Beanish" as the word for the language.) :mrgreen:

Exodies wrote:I like explaining jokes. It's often vital.

It took me a very very very long time to 'get' Exodies' humor; now I can read his posts and actually burst out laughing, even if the quadruple posting still irritates me. ;)

ucim wrote:piggyback shmiggyback
always a pleasure when
g g h notices
what has been writ.

Bicamerality's
conventionality's
drier than most people
care to admit.

It is ridiculous how giggly and happy I get when I see double dactyl's. And Jose!! Two six-syllable words in a row! Treeish. :mrgreen:

Eternal Density wrote:
mscha wrote:ONGASUTRA...
Spoiler:
Image

-- posted by newpixbot
FTFY newpixbot.

OMR!!!!!! :shock: :shock: Image

@mrob: while I loved your epic OTTification of the seaish what-if at the top of NP1416.. I wish you hadn't retro-edited in the warning about cookies. It's like a spoiler for the OTT. :cry: But oh well... here we go. *dives in to the cookies, anyway*
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby moody7277 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

@StormAngel, I clicked that "spoiler" four times before I noticed the Image alt-text. Not quite as evil as the url-spoiler, but still :x
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:- Blindpost, yes, still NP1400 -

Fellow Time Traveler azule: congrats for making it to the present! Have some cookies!

Spoiler:
Image

I also couldn't help but take short frysaucing peek into the present, thanks everyone for celebrating my 200th! :)

It was so cute to see HAL9000 is still bossing people around about what they should be posting about in the thread :mrgreen: - and I'm glad ONGs with new pictures I haven't seen are still being posted! Yes! Because, who said only GLR could do them? Thanks Latent22 for the first one, just reached the ending and hope TimeAfterTime continues for a long time!

Also, just read GLR'd blag about tim* *ndig, I guess that makes it kind of official, I... I guess I can't deny anymore :( - I suddenly have a feeling of disappointment because I was expecting more, but I understand his desire to st*p as a frame was taking him more than 1 hour to make?? o_O

What I don't get is, if the first frames were so simple and easy to make, and they kept everyone entertained, why didn't he kept at them? Is building sandcastles and exploring the land the only thing he could think of to have that took him a few time to make? Couldn't Megball and Cuegan spend some 1000 frames flying kites or something?

But, NO! He just had to keep the complexity up that he introduced, so I think the comic ended for a bad reason, he should have just went back to simple frames with slow moving pixels, so his solution of going into pattern repeating frames seems cheap and lazy.

It also doesn't fit with the overall impression at all. We had Time, and we thought Time was an analogy of time, something we can't fast forward and we have to wait for to see what happens, and something that is about the little things.

Reading that it was about the Zaclean flood from the start was a bummer, I think I put the comic in a pedestal and it didn't match to my expectations, it seemed deeper when it was mysterious, when we didn't know if Randall was making it up as it went or he had planned it all along, when we didn't know if he read the OTT and was taking inspiration from it (I remember at some point someone drew a big black cat attacking Cueball, and then a big black cat attacked Cueball in the OTC.)

Having the OTT acknowledged was also kind of nice, but I feel it kind of trivialized us, we created a subculture with one religion or two and even songs? Even the guy in the Wired article says we refer to Randall as OTA instead of GRL, I, I don't know, becoming aware that other people are aware of us isn't cool when that image of us isn't properly delivered.

Yep, I just think I have left denial and entered anger :x
Bad pruning because holding baby!
Thanks for the cookies, Vytron, they are beautiful AND delicious.

Your reaction to the blag and ending was a delight to read. Your anger/frustration shows through. I agreed that things should have taken Time and whatever solution was needed should have been used, such as drawing simpler or being more redundant.
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

Probably double-posting.

Baking cookies. This is not evil, this is FUN! :mrgreen: Only 5 minutes in and I'm already producing 6 per second. Wondering how long it took BG to get a freaking Time Machine in her first post about cookies. :?

ETA: 26/s
ETA2: 71/s

How could you ever warn people not to click this? I won't be doing anything else the rest of the day. Oh wait....
Last edited by Valarya on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
SBN
Saved
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Probably double-posting.

Baking cookies. This is not evil, this is FUN! :mrgreen: Only 5 minutes in and I'm already producing 6 per second. Wondering how long it took BG to get a freaking Time Machine in her first post about cookies. :?

ETA: 26/s

And we've lost another.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby moody7277 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Valarya wrote:Probably double-posting.

Baking cookies. This is not evil, this is FUN! :mrgreen: Only 5 minutes in and I'm already producing 6 per second. Wondering how long it took BG to get a freaking Time Machine in her first post about cookies. :?

ETA: 26/s

And we've lost another.


One of us, one of us, one of us.

323MCps, 12.9MC per click.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
mrob27
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:19 am UTC
Location: ]〖  
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mrob27 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:You do know the the Cookie clicker Wiki has (...)

Yep, you linked to it in newpage 1420 and BHG had no problem finding the cheat page. We had loads of fun playing the game one way, then went the other way, baked googols of c**kies and collapsed into a black hole. So, yes, we're self-referencing ourselves, but that's a good thing.

Valarya wrote:Treeish data collecting, mrob! Only issue I see with this is that it continues way past T** E**. I'm sure this has been brought up before; if so, I apologize for being redundant. Wait, we don't have to apologize for that around here, do we? :P

Yes, the index is mainly meant to be a guide to the OTT, so of course it continues into the afterwhen. Kieryn's index also continues after The Unmentionable but for not as many dix, it was the inspiration for mine and I wanted a more complete listing.

while I loved your epic OTTification of the seaish what-if at the top of NP1416.. I wish you hadn't retro-edited in the warning about cookies. It's like a spoiler for the OTT. :cry: But oh well... here we go. *dives in to the cookies, anyway*

Well, I guess it could be edited back. There needs to be some kind of consensus I guess. You'd want to ask BlitzGirl about her bigger, brighter warning further down the page. I think the feeling was that c**kies had hijacked the thread or something, but it's led to the creation by Eternal Density of what looks to be a wowterfully non-heretical substitute.

Thanks @azule for your well-wishes! Still a few loose ends to tie up todix but I am indeed leaving soon.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
Image
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I wish you hadn't retro-edited in the warning about cookies. It's like a spoiler for the OTT. :cry: But oh well... here we go. *dives in to the cookies, anyway*

That warning is very, very necessary. You'll realise this when you finally break free and finish your ketchup...
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
waveney
Posts: 548
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:28 pm UTC
Location: The Far South of England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby waveney » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:OMR!!!!!! :shock: :shock: Image


I am glad my beany ONGs are welcome. :mrgreen:

640Mc/s...

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2333
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:…Maybe I should put the punsaw down for a while.

I beseech you all to please pun responsibly, and always in moderation.

Want a dragon to play with in the meantime?

Oh, so you're saying that... her "ask" is "dragon" ?

The algorithm is dead.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:…Maybe I should put the punsaw down for a while.

I beseech you all to please pun responsibly, and always in moderation.

Want a dragon to play with in the meantime?


Oh, so you're saying that... her "ask" is "dragon" ?

I don't know exactly what he means but if my interpretation is correct I would hope for Aluisio that BlitzGirl is over 18 years old. Else he'd be a pervert for even suggesting it.

1. She is (IIRC).
2. My posts are never standalone; they always depend on the context of the previous ones.
3. What's an "ask"?
TL;DR Your interpretation is wrong.

moody7277 wrote:@StormAngel, I clicked that "spoiler" four times before I noticed the Image alt-text. Not quite as evil as the url-spoiler, but still :x

Well, that explains it.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Hey everyone,

Just letting you know I'm a bit behind... I was away visiting family all this weekend so I've got a bit of ketchup to do.
Meanwhile latest slide is up now. Enjoy!
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

367.2 CpS. Oh gods it will never end, will it?
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6489
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:
Image
Man, that's one powerful pink boa!

Vytron wrote:Even the guy in the Wired article says we refer to Randall as OTA instead of GRL
Well, that's my preferred term (though I've used GLR on occasions where I thought it was appropriate). I like the symmetry of OTA, and it has less of a ring of fan worship. In all fairness to the growth of complexity in the drawing, the initial part of the story was in an area that is easy to draw. There's not much to a beach. As the story progressed into more interesting terrain with more people, it really is necessary to make it more complex, to visually contrast the new world with the starkness (and harshness) of the world the Cugan come from. It helps us to understand the characters, and gives them depth.

Valarya wrote:The GLR already stated in his interview that Beanish was absolutely translatable so I'm quite shocked it hasn't happened, yet.
I don't think he quite said that... but in any case, it's an open question as to whether he gave us enough to work with - to come up with predictions and to test them.

Valarya wrote:But oh well... here we go. *dives in to the cookies, anyway*
Valarya wrote:Baking cookies. This is not evil, this is FUN! :mrgreen: Only 5 minutes in and I'm already producing 6 per second.
How ironic for this tragic fate to befall our resident baker. Requiem in aetaernum. Memoriae des Valarya omnium et foreverum. Requiescet in pax.

mrob27 wrote:Yes, the index is mainly meant to be a guide to the OTT, so of course it continues into the afterwhen.
I highly approve of that word!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Valarya wrote:I wish you hadn't retro-edited in the warning about cookies. It's like a spoiler for the OTT. :cry: But oh well... here we go. *dives in to the cookies, anyway*

That warning is very, very necessary. You'll realise this when you finally break free and finish your ketchup...

I realize that, now. I have so much ketchup to do and have completely halted it due to cookies. :oops:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6880
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

PYONGYONG...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
moody7277
Posts: 573
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC
Location: Extreme south Texas

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby moody7277 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

mscha wrote:PYONGYONG...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot


I wonder if they still have Mendelssohn in the 133rd century?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.


BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

User avatar
azule
Saved
Posts: 2132
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC
Location: The land of the Golden Puppies and Rainbows

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby azule » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

This odetity is dedicated to Vytron and our other dedicated blitzers.
Image

Spoiler:
cutting_edge-odetity.png
"Stupid time sinks keep keeping me from Time!"
Image

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

User avatar
Laser Plumb
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:48 pm UTC
Location: Mastic, NY

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Laser Plumb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

Lovely wedding (they were just children yesterday ... sniff) ... hard to believe Mendelssohn has only been around one & a half centuries so far ... the odds don't seem favorable for over a hundred more... however, early on as we are, the competition seems a little weak ....

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

mscha wrote:PYONGYONG...

HATS! So many hats! ImageImageImageImageImage :mrgreen:
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:44 pm UTC

Image

Val's first-true-Blitz

Current Location: NP1422 / 1434

BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I felt like making a sketch. So I made a sketch. Some Time after Time...
Spoiler:
Image

Eee, baobabish and flutterbeewingish! Image So is the girl Megball's kid, and the boy Beanette and Amtoo's kid? Image Image

Thanks! Yes, that was the initial sketch concept: the child of Megan and Cueball and the child of Beanette and Amtoo build a sandcastle together. Image

I love everything about this sketch and the conversation of it thereafter. So beesnaketrailish and beanieful. Amazing job, BlitzGirl.

jovialbard wrote:
Kieryn wrote:EDIT: for the pope... It would not have fit in with the story, but I would have liked to have seen LaPetite work her magic on the sandcastle, turning it into a raft.

I disagree, I think it would have been an excellent addition and would have helped the squished feeling at the end of the story. Right when they meet with the first part of the group and Cueball says his line about something being on the ocean, it could have cut to the past, with LaPetite dragging on her flotation devices and beginning to deconstruct/salvage the scaffolding.
<snip>

I'm not so sure about that, jovialbard. I think your version would have greatly taken away from that amazing moment when LaPetite came back in view floating on the raftcastle. It had a ton of impact. Then again, if it had happened as you suggest, we probably would have felt that was the best way... sitting on the edge of our seats in anticipation for Cuegan's reaction to seeing their castle again.

AluisioASG wrote:People who want to appear in the map of the Otter Lands: I need to know how to paint your domains. Now.

Oh, hey. I'd love to be included in the map. Feel free to paint my area to look like Chrono Trigger. Or if that isn't what you mean, rolling hills and autumn-ish leaves will be sufficient enough. Can't wait to see the finished product!

(I have no idea how you guys are up to MILLIONS of cookies per second. That's what your M stands for, right? I've been upgrading a lot of stuff, hoping to give me better production. But am still only at 64k cps with 25/80 upgrades unlocked, 30/76 achievements (116% milk). Apparently I suck at games.)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
jovialbard
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jovialbard » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Kieryn wrote:EDIT: for the pope... It would not have fit in with the story, but I would have liked to have seen LaPetite work her magic on the sandcastle, turning it into a raft.

I disagree, I think it would have been an excellent addition and would have helped the squished feeling at the end of the story. Right when they meet with the first part of the group and Cueball says his line about something being on the ocean, it could have cut to the past, with LaPetite dragging on her flotation devices and beginning to deconstruct/salvage the scaffolding.
<snip>

I'm not so sure about that, jovialbard. I think your version would have greatly taken away from that amazing moment when LaPetite came back in view floating on the raftcastle. It had a ton of impact. Then again, if it had happened as you suggest, we probably would have felt that was the best way... sitting on the edge of our seats in anticipation for Cuegan's reaction to seeing their castle again.


Hmm, I think the difference between us is that LaPetite showing up on the raft wasn't an amazing moment for me. It was the begning of the rush to the end, the first big dissapointment. It felt like a Deus ex Machina... or I guess in this case LaPetite ex Machina :wink: Not a pun! Not a pun! Just clever wordplay

eta: I've had my bakery running for probably over 20 hours of game time now. I'm at 85MCps. Growth is exponential as you go. But then, by the time you read this you may be beating me for all I know
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

User avatar
mrob27
Posts: 1330
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:19 am UTC
Location: ]〖  
Contact:

The Departure of mrob27, and a Gift

Postby mrob27 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
mrob27 wrote:Yes, the index is mainly meant to be a guide to the OTT, so of course it continues into the afterwhen.
I highly approve of that word!


thanks :) I've been inventing tons. There's a glossary here and I've been searching the entire Thread to verify the meanings of words before I try to use one in a creative way.

- < O > -

And now comes the Time that I must admit, I feel an emptiness within. I have dwelled in the comfort of the now-when for long enough to get a sense of all the depth and diversity of the culture within the One True Thread. But I realize it is now time for me to journey into the Past, and begin the longblitz back to the present. When we meet again, all will be many nopix into our collective future in the Time After Time.

I have a nopixbot in the Present who will remind me when to post an update/signpost letting you know how I'm faring in my Quest. I think perhaps every ThursdayH might make sense, as that is User Submission Day. You can also see my current position in my signature:
Image
(it originally said "mrob27 is at NP61/1434 as of 2013-09-02")
This is auto-updated by my bot (thanks @ChronosDragon for the idea!) based on my travelogue.

To send a message back to me, you'd best use your Reverse Chronotransponder (in mundane outsiderspeak, send a private message) because my bot might not notice when you're trying to communicate with me in your posts. Of course, those of you with posts in early Newpages might follow the friendly custom of sigcouragement :) :mrgreen: :)

As a parting gift, here is my first retrOTTification, a Past Present representing the Time I have already spent during my preparatory exploration of the OTT before it was even called that. The first few dix (about 60 newpages) are the quickest to blitz as most of the posts were by folks (guys? y'alls?) who didn't stick around.

To qualify, a "retrOTTification" should be created without any elements of the OTC or OTT that were not yet revealed as of a given newpix in the past, and it should reflect things that were going on at that time. The objective is to make the OTTification appear to have been created at that point in time. As the author I am rooted in the time being blitzed and forget (as much as possible) what I actually know of the afterwhen.

So for example, this strip uses no frames after Newpix 121 ( which ONG'd during newpage 42) and its subject matter reflects the frustratingly low quality of (most of) those first 1500 or so posts. It is based on OtherComic 481 "Listen To Youself" which AFAIK has not yet been OTTified, plus some of the playful level-breaking of #248 "Hypotheticals". An editorial footnote, like the one about "ottification", is an acceptable compromise when the strip is to be viewed by all (not just blitzers) so long as it doesn't spoil anything.

WISHFUL THINKING
Image
The title "Wishful Thinking" could be interpreted two ways.


And with that, I must depart on my great Quest, to partake fully of the One True Thread, experience Time in its own time, and, as nearly as is still possible, Wait For It. My stick-of-many-thwackings is as sharp as my wits (just in case) and I've plenty of great signposts to look forward to. I will having-been seen you abeen in the yesterpix, but we shall meet again!

Spoiler:
retrott-0481-listen-to-v2.png
retrOTTification of xkcd 481
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
Image
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

User avatar
marchlight
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby marchlight » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
The Meeting

[snipped]


I really enjoyed this story Pelrigg! It kept me engaged the whole way through. I hope you'll write more for us sometime.

I thought I had more to say, but... cookiescookiescookies

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2333
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

Ah! The Blitzy Blitzing BlitzGirl is back! (I hope)
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 8999
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

Back and Blitzier than ever! :mrgreen:

Image
Awefulsome manip, HES. :lol:
Treeish blitzer ottification, azule!
We tried to warn you, Valarya. We really did...Image
So many Beanies (and hats) in the beanONGs! Awesomeful!
Farewell, mrob! Treeish retrOTTification! See you in the future (by way of the past)!

jovialbard wrote:hmm and maybe put some ketchup on some c**kies...
Blech...steambottle... Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Sciscitor
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:20 am UTC
Location: Austria

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

I am back at work (almost) full time again, so less time for Time. :( So I've only reworked the user page of the database to allow easier access to all users who have contributed art. Still tons of ideas, how to do this and that with all the data. But ... argh ... no time.

Anyway, the treeish and terrifying drawing of BlitzGirl with the punsaw gave me an idea for which I would need your (that's you, BlitzGirl, but others are welcome to it too) help:
My site has got a rather boring 500/501 error page: "This page was not found." BlitzGirl's drawing reminded me of Twitter's Failwhale and tumblr's TumblBeasts.
Image
Image
I would like to have something similar for the Database, it may be xkcd and/or Time themed or not. The only specs to meet are that it should look decently at 512x512 size, don't be a gif and depict some humerous or thoughtprovoking reason for failing and/or not finding the requested webpage.

Thank you for your help!
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

User avatar
mikrit
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:13 pm UTC
Location: Sweden

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mikrit » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:Ooh, look, a bench! :D It's nice for Blitzers to receive that sort of message.

Hi Blitzers! When you see this, say Hi to us!

Hello, people in the present. I have reached Earthling's benchmark. Just what I needed.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
Valarya wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Kieryn wrote:EDIT: for the pope... It would not have fit in with the story, but I would have liked to have seen LaPetite work her magic on the sandcastle, turning it into a raft.

I disagree, I think it would have been an excellent addition and would have helped the squished feeling at the end of the story. Right when they meet with the first part of the group and Cueball says his line about something being on the ocean, it could have cut to the past, with LaPetite dragging on her flotation devices and beginning to deconstruct/salvage the scaffolding.
<snip>

I'm not so sure about that, jovialbard. I think your version would have greatly taken away from that amazing moment when LaPetite came back in view floating on the raftcastle. It had a ton of impact. Then again, if it had happened as you suggest, we probably would have felt that was the best way... sitting on the edge of our seats in anticipation for Cuegan's reaction to seeing their castle again.


Hmm, I think the difference between us is that LaPetite showing up on the raft wasn't an amazing moment for me. It was the begning of the rush to the end, the first big dissapointment. It felt like a Deus ex Machina... or I guess in this case LaPetite ex Machina :wink: Not a pun! Not a pun! Just clever wordplay

eta: I've had my bakery running for probably over 20 hours of game time now. I'm at 85MCps. Growth is exponential as you go. But then, by the time you read this you may be beating me for all I know


I'm kind of with Valarya, however a compromise could have been that everything happens as it was until LaPetite showed up, and then as she is talking about what she did it does a flashback at that point and tells her story visually. My own feeling is that would be a little odd because everything else in the story has been from Megball's perspective, but it would not have been totally out of the question to have done that.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
ttscp
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm UTC
Location: Lost In Thought - Send Search Party

Some Random Thoughts

Postby ttscp » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

...because I can't afford to get involved in c**kies (I have seen way too many friends lives spiral out of control due their clicking addiction):

URLs: ott.com is taken as is otter.orgURL, but otter.com is not. Might or might not be useful if we ever have to take the OTT away from the fora.

Beanish: last entry on Beanish in Tresoldi's blog is 9 August, last entry in the fora thread he created is 16 August. All seem to agree that the language is translatable, and I don't see the work being stalled for lack of direction, but nothing more seems to be happening. Tresoldi, where are you?

I don't know what on-topic means in this thread.

Nice to see the OTT still chugging along as usual. We seem to gain (or delurk) as many otters as we lose.

I still want t-shirts.

URL link summary
ott.com => OTT Hydromet - environmental measurement
ott.org => Hover page offering the url for emails
otter.com => GoDaddy page offering the url for sale
otter.org => IOSF - The International Otter Survival Fund
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 8999
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:<snip> everything else in the story has been from Megball's perspective, </snip>

Yes, for the most part... but the bucket flashback wasn't. Or the Fading. And molpish activity like the death of Flutterbee happened outside of their perspective occasionally.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:I'm kind of with Valarya, however a compromise could have been that everything happens as it was until LaPetite showed up, and then as she is talking about what she did it does a flashback at that point and tells her story visually. My own feeling is that would be a little odd because everything else in the story has been from Megball's perspective, but it would not have been totally out of the question to have done that.


Has a blitzer managed to pull us back on topic? I never thought I'd see the day.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
jovialbard
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jovialbard » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Valarya wrote:
jovialbard wrote:
Kieryn wrote:EDIT: for the pope... It would not have fit in with the story, but I would have liked to have seen LaPetite work her magic on the sandcastle, turning it into a raft.

I disagree, I think it would have been an excellent addition and would have helped the squished feeling at the end of the story. Right when they meet with the first part of the group and Cueball says his line about something being on the ocean, it could have cut to the past, with LaPetite dragging on her flotation devices and beginning to deconstruct/salvage the scaffolding.
<snip>

I'm not so sure about that, jovialbard. I think your version would have greatly taken away from that amazing moment when LaPetite came back in view floating on the raftcastle. It had a ton of impact. Then again, if it had happened as you suggest, we probably would have felt that was the best way... sitting on the edge of our seats in anticipation for Cuegan's reaction to seeing their castle again.


Hmm, I think the difference between us is that LaPetite showing up on the raft wasn't an amazing moment for me. It was the begning of the rush to the end, the first big dissapointment. It felt like a Deus ex Machina... or I guess in this case LaPetite ex Machina :wink: Not a pun! Not a pun! Just clever wordplay

eta: I've had my bakery running for probably over 20 hours of game time now. I'm at 85MCps. Growth is exponential as you go. But then, by the time you read this you may be beating me for all I know


I'm kind of with Valarya, however a compromise could have been that everything happens as it was until LaPetite showed up, and then as she is talking about what she did it does a flashback at that point and tells her story visually. My own feeling is that would be a little odd because everything else in the story has been from Megball's perspective, but it would not have been totally out of the question to have done that.


You say that from the perspective of what you've seen. You statement "everything else in the story has been from Megball's perspective" wouldn't be true if it wasn't true. Yes, a brief flashback would have been a little odd, but no more odd than the time dilation we already experienced. But I'm not suggesting a brief flashback either. I'm suggesting a new epoch. One that would tell us the end is nigh and built up to it, instead of, quite literally, running down to it.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

User avatar
Philip Thomas
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Philip Thomas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Kieryn wrote:I'm kind of with Valarya, however a compromise could have been that everything happens as it was until LaPetite showed up, and then as she is talking about what she did it does a flashback at that point and tells her story visually. My own feeling is that would be a little odd because everything else in the story has been from Megball's perspective, but it would not have been totally out of the question to have done that.


Has a blitzer managed to pull us back on topic? I never thought I'd see the day.


Is it really possible to be off topic? For, yeah verily, doth not the OTT(est 2013) encompass all things under one forum? So that without it there is nothing that exists? Is the so-called outside not merely a snare and a delusion?
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

User avatar
higgs-boson
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 pm UTC
Location: Europe (UTC + 4 newpix)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

I consider this off topic.

Do not open.
Spoiler:
cooooooookies.png
cooooooookies.png (50.65 KiB) Viewed 12573 times

I should start clicking.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6880
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

FLOGGONGS...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 8999
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

I guess Expando is happy for them.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5547
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Molpy Up

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

Whoops I meant to have breakfast 10 minutes ago but the thread growth was more seaish than expected.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 8999
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Ooh, look, a bench! :D It's nice for Blitzers to receive that sort of message.

Hi Blitzers! When you see this, say Hi to us!

Hello, people in the present. I have reached Earthling's benchmark. Just what I needed.

Hello, mikrit! Nice to hear from you. :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
Exodies
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm UTC
Location: Blackwaterside

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I think the worst part is just how large the heads are in proportion to the rest of the stick-figure body.

You're welcome.

S'easy - turn the head 90 degrees and it becomes a stick. Just drops out.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher, Old Bruce and 25 guests