1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Amanita

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Amanita » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:01 am UTC

Greetings future people! (if any remnants of civilisation yet remain...)

I am trekking through the long history of time and I have an important message from the past:

LWPAII is clearly "Laughing while penises are intimately inserted".

That is all.
Archbishop of Time for the moment
Blitzing since 21/9/13 - currently at 17,960 posts and counting

Eternal Density

I don't even.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:07 am UTC

So 0.9992 finally found me. Yay.

What a coincidence, my coworkers were talking about those when I departed earlier.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:08 am UTC

Welcome, Amanita, to the OTT (One True Thread). You probably won't see this in time since you are blitzing, but as Page Pope you get to make a decree for the page. Thought you should know.

@ED Sigh, I'm still on 16.4MSand/mNP and already at newpix 491. Despite my best efforts I don't think I'll ever* reach the dizzy heights you front-runners are at.

*For certain values of ever.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:10 am UTC

A blitzer! :D Welcome, Amanita!

Based on your comment, you're somewhen in the mid-200s newpages right now. I wish you the best of luck, and molpish congratulations on making it this far!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Dinner Time, JA!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:20 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:Welcome, Amanita, to the OTT (One True Thread). You probably won't see this in time since you are blitzing, but as Page Pope you get to make a decree for the page. Thought you should know.

@ED Sigh, I'm still on 16.4MSand/mNP and already at newpix 491. Despite my best efforts I don't think I'll ever* reach the dizzy heights you front-runners are at.

*For certain values of ever.
Well I did molpy down so I've been playing longer than my current NP makes it appear.

Knowing my luck I'll get ASHF just when my sand rolls back to 0.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:25 am UTC

Are there any benefits to Molpying Down?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Amanita

Postby Amanita » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:26 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:as Page Pope you get to make a decree for the page.

That sounds fascinating! While my future-time-bubble still lasts, can I decree that each post on the page has to start with a different letter of the alphabet?

Also, yay, the BlitzGirl and my inspiration has blessed me! I will stay strong and follow in your footsteps.

P.S. do we still get hats or is that lost in the mists of Time?

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:26 am UTC

The Outside was keeping me away for the lasts dips from posting and doing otc related stuff. But here are some replies:

@azule: Thank you for the 404 graphics. I like the first one and will some time this wipend incorporate it into the Database site. The mousover would be treeish but a bit too sophisticated for an error page which should be able to load quickly and with no fuss.

@ED: I've seen your line in the OTT already. Again, sadly I've got no time to hack on the code. Maybe this wipend.

Concerning Sandcastle Builder: I pretty much gave up on NP106. I've got lots of rivers and bags (and other stuff) along with most boosts, but still need to wait ever longer for new purchases. They keep getting more expensive faster than what the deliver in sand or castles so I have to wait now about 8 to 10 NP to be able to make new purchases. Redundakitties seem to have become really sparse too, I don't think I've seen one for about half a day.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:29 am UTC

@Amanita: Hats are still available, contact the current OTT Haberdasher ChronosDragon via private message. :wink:

Red Hal wrote:@ED Sigh, I'm still on 16.4MSand/mNP and already at newpix 491. Despite my best efforts I don't think I'll ever* reach the dizzy heights you front-runners are at.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm at newpix 594 and getting only 13.4M Sand/mNP.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:34 am UTC

Quite possibly, Amanita! There are a couple of repeats above but that seems like a steakish decree.

waveney

Re: Finally got not lucky.

Postby waveney » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Still not seeing 0.9992 :(

It has turned up here.

BTW: 'VITSSÃ…GEN, JA!' doth say 'Stop the Puns!', it doth not...

ETA I am only on Newpix 347
Last edited by waveney on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:40 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:Quite possibly, Amanita! There are a couple of repeats above but that seems like a steakish decree.

C what you did there, I do. :wink:

(For practical purposes I'm excluding quote blocks.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:41 am UTC

Good luck Blizing Amanita! Welcome to the OTT. Good luck Blitzing! It's a daunting task that might stress your sanity to it's limits.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Amanita

Postby Amanita » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:48 am UTC

You're all very kind here in the future! However I fear the pull of Time draws me away again... see you in the future-future when I make it through to the other side.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:53 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:@Amanita: Hats are still available, contact the current OTT Haberdasher ChronosDragon via private message. :wink:

Red Hal wrote:@ED Sigh, I'm still on 16.4MSand/mNP and already at newpix 491. Despite my best efforts I don't think I'll ever* reach the dizzy heights you front-runners are at.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm at newpix 594 and getting only 13.4M Sand/mNP.
Oh. Would this help? It's very rough, but helps to work out which is the most cost-efficient Castle Tool to buy next. Note that it only takes account of current building rates, not the effect of any boosts unpurchased, though it does take into account existing boosts as it takes its figures straight from the stats page.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:07 am UTC

Amanita wrote:You're all very kind here in the future! However I fear the pull of Time draws me away again... see you in the future-future when I make it through to the other side.

Farewell! See you in the Future, Amanita! Image

Thanks, Red Hal! I've mostly held off on buying tools recently because I've been trying to use Double or Nothing to increase my castles while I still have a decent percentage for it.

More on Sandcastle Builder:
Spoiler:
Is BFJ tied to BKJ? I was getting 10G castles for Not Lucky, missed a redundakitty or two and now I'm down to 8G for Not Lucky.
Edit: Ch*rp, down to 6.5G. I guess that answers my question.

I'm feeling opposing forces at this point in the game. On the one hand, I've played it thus far as a Waiting game, meaning I leave it open and check on it occasionally. (Maybe once per ONG.) I keep it up on my laptop during coma to accumulate sand and castles, and have done so since I started playing it. It's worked rather well (also explains my highish newpix count).

On the other hand, the new JA! boosts defeat the purpose of Waiting. I have to catch the redundakitties or my percentage slips, and the game needs attention in order to catch the redacted. I left the game open during my last coma and lost almost 200% off of the 522% I was getting. :cry: (That was before the gradual redundakitty fade-out was implemented.) So I'm fighting with myself over whether to Coma Molpy Style or not tonight. To save my percentage, I think yes, but the Timewaiter in me says no, keep Waiting, because the percentage is intended to die off back to 8% as the game progresses. Is that right?
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Methinks it is like a weasmolp

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:12 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:Are there any benefits to Molpying Down?

Yes.
Spoiler:
Time Travel is unlocked as are various related badges and boosts. One is Flux Turbine whichgiv esextra cast les whenever castles are built, based on how many castles have been wiped by molpy down. If you've made over a billion it's probably worth it. The more, the better. I'm thinking of doing it a second time, maybe.
waveney wrote:.

Could you please be a little clearer?

Ninja Edit : yeah the multipliers are linked. And while my plan was for it to decay I think that is a bad choice now because it disadvantages one play style. I need to find a different way to keep it from getting ridiculously high instead of the decay. Hmmmmmmmm

Maybe put a maximum of some fraction of your current sand /castle balance, and remove the decay but grow the power slower.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:13 am UTC

Hi future Amanita!

CHIRPING MUSTARD. Turns out you need a phone line before you get internet. And some sneaky molpy left it disconnected when they redecorated.
chirping chirpy chirp
He/Him/His Image

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Re: Methinks it is like a weasmolp

Postby Red Hal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:14 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

Yes.
Spoiler:
Time Travel is unlocked as are various related badges and boosts. One is Flux Turbine whichgiv esextra cast les whenever castles are built, based on how many castles have been wiped by molpy down. If you've made over a billion it's probably worth it. The more, the better. I'm thinking of doing it a second time, maybe.

Ah.

As I tend to hover around the 30 Million castles point, have only built 127MCastles, and my playing style is to build castle tools during ASHF based on cost-effectiveness, it might be a while before I get there.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:17 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

Yes.
Spoiler:

Ah.

As I tend to hover around the 30 Million castles point, and my playing style is to build castle tools during ASHF based on cost-effectiveness, it might be a while before I get there.
It's based on the total castles built ever. Including from selling stuff.

Also perhaps I should have the price of DON increase after a certain price rather than the effect decrease.

ETA yes it doesn't stop the puns because an else went missing.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:30 am UTC

I quite like the puns.

waveney

Postby waveney » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

The code maybe has a missing else before the if(Molpy.Got('Bag Puns')) after testing for 'VITSSÃ…GEN, JA!'? (in ClickBeach)

The Blitzing multiplier rarely gets above 9 (10 once today). I agree with Blitzgirl it goes against the "wait for it" basis for the game.

As for Molpy Down - if you do from where I am the ONLY safe number of npbs is zero. You would have to do an awfull lot of investing in rivers before you could afford the first npb.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:49 am UTC

Amanita wrote:
Red Hal wrote:as Page Pope you get to make a decree for the page.

That sounds fascinating! While my future-time-bubble still lasts, can I decree that each post on the page has to start with a different letter of the alphabet?

Also, yay, the BlitzGirl and my inspiration has blessed me! I will stay strong and follow in your footsteps.

P.S. do we still get hats or is that lost in the mists of Time?

Before you can have a hat, you probably want an avatar.
Welcome, and thanks for the message from the past.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:55 am UTC

My Sandcastle Builder window is pretty much blank; the terminal show the error:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'appendChild' of null
Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object> has no method 'Notify'
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:04 am UTC

rONG:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:07 am UTC

Zealous!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:16 am UTC

Molpy up!

Sciscitor wrote:Concerning Sandcastle Builder: I pretty much gave up on NP106. I've got lots of rivers and bags (and other stuff) along with most boosts, but still need to wait ever longer for new purchases. They keep getting more expensive faster than what the deliver in sand or castles so I have to wait now about 8 to 10 NP to be able to make new purchases. Redundakitties seem to have become really sparse too, I don't think I've seen one for about half a day.

Never forget the First Commandment: Wait for it. :wink:

Having one game at home, and one game at work, I find that keeping them running overnight, and then making large purchases with my buildup of castles, has accelerated my advancement. With each ONG I get so many more castles, it is a bit easier to make purchases even though prices are now above 100K. I even finally got my Bag Puns :) I am not watching so often, or closely, that I can be as strategic as some of our uber players.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:18 am UTC

waveney wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

The code maybe has a missing else before the if(Molpy.Got('Bag Puns')) after testing for 'VITSSÃ…GEN, JA!'? (in ClickBeach)

The Blitzing multiplier rarely gets above 9 (10 once today). I agree with Blitzgirl it goes against the "wait for it" basis for the game.

As for Molpy Down - if you do from where I am the ONLY safe number of npbs is zero. You would have to do an awfull lot of investing in rivers before you could afford the first npb.

1. Yes I already figured, mentioned, and (locally) fixed that.
2. I think I overreacted with the decay before because of the bug which powered them up by all my past redundakitty clicks. So I've taken the decay out. They're also far less powerful now so you can build the up over more time.
3. Okay I've made the Novikov Self-Consistency Principle increase in price more slowly now so you can afford to use it more times. And for good measure, the first two NPBs no longer count (if you have time travel or are in the first 20 NP).

Now to test...

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:24 am UTC

I chose to molpy down now. Wanna get the Time traveler stuff.
Approx 200 MC total.
W00t, back on shortpix!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Eternal Density

Falling in Love with Boring Whales

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:40 am UTC

Code: Select all

### 0.9993
- VITSSÅGEN, JA! actually works now
- Reduced BKJ and BFJ's power a lot but now they don't decay at all
- DoN's power doesn't decay, instead the price increases.
- Fiddled with some Judgement Dip + Time Travel stuff so time travellers have a chance of surviving
(that last point is largely for folks who have very powerful newpixbots currently held at bay by burning bags)

Neil_Boekend wrote:I chose to molpy down now. Wanna get the Time traveler stuff.
Approx 200 MC total.
W00t, back on shortpix!
That's kinda a pity actually, cos 200MC wiped will (when you get flux turbine) give you a 1.46x multiplier to castle production.
Spoiler:
If you can get it to 1.5 then because of the way I do the rounding stuff that would normally give you +1 castle (i.e. sand) gives +2 instead. 800MC wiped would be enough for that. But it is cumulative so if you wipe with 600MC next time then that'll happen. Still, an extra 46% castles from all the castle tools is nifty. Plus all the time travel badges.
I may add another timetravel related boost soon perhaps. But Swedish Chef comes first, methinks.

Also I want to rewrite all the boost and badge specifications so I don't have to keep padding out optional parameters and so it's clearer what's what.

ETA:
I feel like posting a rONG because why not?
ImageCue doesn't need visible eyes for us to know where he's looking.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cellocgw

Re: But not nerf it :P

Postby cellocgw » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:47 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I was thinking that Not Lucky has become underpowered and then I got the new boost and suddenly I'm getting a few hundred G a pop. Because somehow the kitty chain was incrementing without dropping all this time before buying BKJ! I really need to fix that.

Ahhhh.. I suddenly realized why I'm not going over to try out the OTG. It's got no MultiBall, or even an Extra Ball bonus! Read this for more info :lol: .

So, even tho' I'm not a PP (so far as I know), a wish: someone hop on over to VisualPinball or FuturePinball and build a OTC table! Pleeeeeeeze?
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:49 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:A wired article about the new Agents of SHIELD TV show just spoiled a major plot event of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for me. I'm going to go sit in the corner and try to forget.

Which brings to mind two quotes.

"I had to let them in: they're seniors!"

and

--Why are you drinking?
"I'm drinking to forget."
--To forget what?
"That I am drinking."
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

Eternal Density

They Were Serious Lampreys

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:52 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:Ahhhh.. I suddenly realized why I'm not going over to try out the OTG. It's got no MultiBall, or even an Extra Ball bonus! Read this for more info :lol: .

So, even tho' I'm not a PP (so far as I know), a wish: someone hop on over to VisualPinball or FuturePinball and build a OTC table! Pleeeeeeeze?
It's got a MegBall boost...

Neil_Boekend

Re: Falling in Love with Boring Whales

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:53 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I chose to molpy down now. Wanna get the Time traveler stuff.
Approx 200 MC total.
W00t, back on shortpix!
That's kinda a pity actually, cos 200MC wiped will (when you get flux turbine) give you a 1.46x multiplier to castle production.
Spoiler:
If you can get it to 1.5 then because of the way I do the rounding stuff that would normally give you +1 castle (i.e. sand) gives +2 instead. 800MC wiped would be enough for that. But it is cumulative so if you wipe with 600MC next time then that'll happen. Still, an extra 46% castles from all the castle tools is nifty. Plus all the time travel badges.
I may add another timetravel related boost soon perhaps. But Swedish Chef comes first, methinks.

Ah, mustard. Ah well, the 600 MC is reached 46% faster than it would have been without Time Travel. And round and round we go!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:59 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

Code: Select all

### 0.9993
- VITSSÅGEN, JA! actually works now
- Reduced BKJ and BFJ's power a lot but now they don't decay at all
- DoN's power doesn't decay, instead the price increases.
- Fiddled with some Judgement Dip + Time Travel stuff so time travellers have a chance of surviving

Perfect! Thanks for all the work on Sandcastle Builder, ED. :) It's so awesomeful to have a RELATED obsession for OTTers now that Time is done.
Edit: Baobabs, I just got a 5,600% Blitzing. :shock:

I can happily molpy down.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

cellocgw

Re: Amanita

Postby cellocgw » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

HES wrote:Hi future Amanita!

So is it legit to go back and edit posts in the sub - 1000 pages to retrospectively encourage Amanita?

And someone needs to find out if this is a Muscaria, Vaginata (I'm not making this up) or a Phalloides. It makes rather a difference :(
resume
Former OTTer

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

So is it legit to go back and edit posts in the sub - 1000 pages to retrospectively encourage Amanita?

And someone needs to find out if this is a Muscaria, Vaginata (I'm not making this up) or a Phalloides. It makes rather a difference :(

If it is not legal to go back and encourage people then I have already sinned.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Xe may welcome it. I glimpsed a couple of edited posts for me while on my blitzing Quest, though they were rather rare compared to sigcouragement. I think only blitzers since me have read them, though - the Present OTTers at the Time largely missed out. So legit, certainly! But unlike temporal edits, sigs are visible by both blitzers and present-dip OTTers.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

Happy 900 posts, SBN!

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

The Adventure of Jennifer, the Stupid Unicorn

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Edit: Baobabs, I just got a 5,600% Blitzing. :shock:
Which is equivalent to 56x :P

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”