1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ergman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:52 am UTC

HES wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:(I'm working on the Go Outside achievement right now. It'll be a while, though, I think.)

Looking at the stats page, there are a lot of cheaterssv.

I'm contemplating whether to spend four nopix saving the baby (and wolpyling).

svHmm, we have the s&m's, the comfy chair, the punsaw and the scrumptious doughnuts, do we need a serious room for those skipping pages?

Yeah, I saw you playing it on steam. That's one of my favorite hotdogs of leight, and it was fun being in another 'live event' what with finding the last secret.

and ED, that's treeish that people are calling SB the Dwarf Fortress of idle games. High praise! I hope I can make a game that people like someday.

edit: Oh for popes sake!
decree: talk about the OTC
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:12 am UTC

My attempt1 on an OTThercomic of #1298:
Spoiler:
For decree:
You could spend a thousand lifetimes staring at water and sand, thinking as hard as you could, and you'd never guess the world had things like this in it.

RSIR:
Spoiler:
1298ott.png
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

Grapevine grapevine.

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:24 am UTC

Steakish OTTerComic, ZoomanSP! I especially like the part with molpies and raptors.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:30 am UTC

TONGSTIC...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

january1may

Re: tropin'

Postby january1may » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:45 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Any Tropes are welcome to add stuff at http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/V ... tleBuilder

I wondered why there hadn't been a TV Tropes page for Sandcastle Builder until recently. I actually wanted to post why the heck there wasn't one as one of my first posts, but forgot.
Good thing there is now. I might add to it a little, eventually (note: I've never got beyond the really early stages myself).
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:30 am UTC

DEAFENONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Re: tropin'

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:04 am UTC

january1may wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Any Tropes are welcome to add stuff at http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/V ... tleBuilder

I wondered why there hadn't been a TV Tropes page for Sandcastle Builder until recently. I actually wanted to post why the heck there wasn't one as one of my first posts, but forgot.
Good thing there is now. I might add to it a little, eventually (note: I've never got beyond the really early stages myself).

Be my guest!

I should have done it weeks ago but... stuff happens.
It's gonna be a fun page once I figure out what to add.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Eternal Density

Been busy hotdogging

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:42 am UTC

Here's some layout pics:
http://imgur.com/a/Jm27v

I've got autoscroll and snap to grid going. And it will set up a default layout, and the commands to save/load layouts work. I now need to hook up some controls for selecting, copying, deleting, and of course saving layouts. Also buttons to toggle whether the layout is locked (so you don't accidentally move or resize stuff) and turn the snap on and off. But it's getting closer.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

Still no what-if? It is what-if-dip today, right?
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

SPEERONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Molpy Down

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

Yay, obtained Ninja Lockdown!

january1may

Postby january1may » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Blitz progress: NP 26 (np87).
Turns out, I was too quick in declaring they hadn't came up with any OTT slang yet: just a few posts down from my last progress, someoneum came up with MMONS (well, MMPONS, in their spelling).
On NP 18, dalcde [one of the early kind-of-OTTers] made the first hypothesis that one of the objects wasn't what it appeared to be (specifically, he proposed that the sand was cornstarch). First flashy gif came in on NP 20 (it's a pair of animated shorts). First OTC/OTT manip on NP 22 (I think it's based on np75).
There's an unspoilered "final"it's image on NP 25. But I already knew that (thanks to SBN's message on NP 24).
There's also some talk about trebuchets on NP 25 as well (which is a bit surprising because there's nothing to suggest them yet).
Fun fact: sparehead3's avatar looks a lot like a hatted brainslug with legs.

Favorite quote (NP 24):
benjaminswill wrote:Wow, does this have the possibility to turn into comic 915 or what?
"Personally I believe slide number 52 (according to the Aubron Wood chronological classification system) is automatically in the top ten, due to the sheer originality of the introduction of text - before which it was unknown if the series would contain any."

um um, NotThatHatGuy (his avatar, fittingly, is a hat... just a hat, at that, not even anything hatted).
it's it's not T** **d, fortunately - it's a few frames later, without the words
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.

mattachu

Postby mattachu » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

Hi there!

I just started reading xkcd recently, and came across Time in the archives without realising what it was. Then I saw a comment on a wiki page about it and found this amazing comic and the also-amazing (if rather worrying) thread that goes with it. I got hooked into reading the thread and have been really enjoying it. I'm now up to page 226 (NP 349) when everyone was excited about hitting 9000 posts...

Then I see that people are still commenting on this thread even now after the comic has finished! I can only assume that it has spawned a civilization of its own, with the religion(s) and culture(s) now possessing so much life that this thread will never die. I wonder what I will find as I read through your past?

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

HES wrote:Still no what-if? It is what-if-dip today, right?

Whifdix, yes. Not there yet, but it usually turns up later than the OtherComics do.

(It's also 503dix again, it looks like. :? )
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

New What If is finally here!
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

CONNONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Welcome back jjjdavidson! I wonder how many other otters in the basement don't know about the party we're still having upstairs. Out of a random sample I took of otters in the basement, all of them had a last post right here in the One True Thread. They didn't leave for other shores, they simply stopped posting completely. This is endish and unmolpy. I wonder if a general summoning circle would bring some visitations....

So here on the last dix of Visitation Ja, I invoke the summoning circle for all Otters, invoked once before on NP1439...
Spoiler:

Come one, come all. Let it be known that there is Time After Time, and you are all greatly missed, and molpishly welcome here in the One True Thread, for like sand in a sandcastle, each grain different, you have all made this thread what it is.

Join us once again as we cross over onto the other side of 216.

Jose

*** Blinks ***

*** Shakes head, trying to remove the glare and the ringing in the ears ***

Huh?? Wha....?

What happened? I'm back in the OTT!?!? Has Time II started?!?!?

Wait --- alright, who invoked a summoning circle??? Jose -- did you do this?

*** brushes off excess sparkly time-vortex cross-temporal para-displacement residual dust ***

Well -- heck. As long as I'm here, allow me to offer a rousing "Hello OTT-ers!" to those of you here. :)

I'd didn't expect to be summoned, or I'd have baked you a cake in greeting. But I think I at least have a few of these still in my pocket:

So what'cha ya'll been up to?
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:So what'cha ya'll been up to?

Well, I'm working on an OTT crossover with the Doctor, and am halfway through an OTT musical.

Also, welcome back. good to see you.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

HES

Postby HES » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

"Hello StratPlayer!"

StratPlayer wrote:So what'cha ya'll been up to?

Oh, you know. Molpying about, fighting off 503's, wearing hats, the usual.

Thanks for the ammunition, we were starting to run out!
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

Hi, StratPlayer! It's treeish to see you! :D We're doing the usual in here, which is mostly Waiting for it. My computer succumbed to m*stard, so I'm doing phone-ketchup now. Speaking of which, does anymolpy know if What-If has a mobile version? I know of the mobile site for the Othercomics, but I haven't found one for What-If yet.

Steakish OTTercomic, ZoomanSP! Nice job matching the Otherfonts that GLR used.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Speaking of which, does anymolpy know if What-If has a mobile version? I know of the mobile site for the Othercomics, but I haven't found one for What-If yet.

I don't think so, but (on my phone at least) it realigns the text to the screen size so is pretty readable. The only thing you miss is the title text, which is often just a description of the image anyway.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

DRUMBEATONGS...

-- posted by newpixbot
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

january1may

Postby january1may » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Blitz progress: NP 37 (np112).
Discussion of trebuchets continues (well it did for a few NP after the last progress). So does/did discussion of flags (which I didn't notice in my previous "signpost" for some reason).
People still seem to think OTC would end on *April 1; they also still hadn't got around to calling it OTC yet (in fact, I hadn't yet seen any additional OTT slang beyond MMONS). There's no ONG, either (by name or otherwise), and what we would call ninja-ed ONG posts aren't even put in spoiler tags (which is a bit surprising from a modern perspective).
A certain style of what we would now call OTC Manips is going on: putting some text related to OTT comments in an OTC frame (or a picture mainly based on one). Unfortunately, I don't think anyone had specifically catalogued them, considering that they probably predate the wiki (for that matter, I'm not sure whether there's even a name for these - though considering the OTT opinion on standardsni, if there wasn't one there probably won't be one now).

Slightly off-topic: I suspect this is the blitz report with the most frequent signposts ever (at least so far) - we are through maybe two NewPages (if that) back in the Present, and this is like my fourth or fifth signpost already! I don't know whether I should hope that this frequency continues, considering that in such a case there would've been something like 300 signposts if/when this blitz is finished; then again, I'm not a very fast blitzer (and Outside activities mean most of my *dayAH is taken by things entirely unrelated to blitzing).

AH And on this thought... I've spent so much on AH.com that I'm just too used to AH.comese terminology. In particular, I tend to say "*thing" in cases where a more typical OTTer would say "thingH" (i.e. for *heretical stuff; I might use it for other purposes as well, I haven't researched AH.comese grammar).
ni some phrase starting with "ni ni ni", apparently; I wonder whether I'll ever get to where that came from

Eternal Density

Molping Around

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Hi StratPlayer!

These days I'm mostly hotdogging, with the occasional mini-hotdog or ottification.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Speaking of which, does anymolpy know if What-If has a mobile version? I know of the mobile site for the Othercomics, but I haven't found one for What-If yet.

I don't think so, but (on my phone at least) it realigns the text to the screen size so is pretty readable. The only thing you miss is the title text, which is often just a description of the image anyway.

Okay, thanks. :) The title text is what I was missing, too, but I can Wait and check that later.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:

Okay, thanks. :) The title text is what I was missing, too, but I can Wait and check that later.

On an iPhone, you can hold down on the image to see the title text, which is what I do.

and Hi Stratplayer! nice to see you again.

for decree: those markings in the tree! what did they readé
was it a warning in beanish to flee the floodé

éI canèt type question marks, along with some other punctuation, it all comes up as ès. dear Randall, what key combo did I press to deserve thisÉÉ!É!É!É
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HES

Postby HES » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:29 pm UTC

january1may wrote:There's no ONG, either (by name or otherwise), and what we would call ninja-ed ONG posts aren't even put in spoiler tags (which is a bit surprising from a modern perspective).
Slightly off-topic: I suspect this is the blitz report with the most frequent signposts ever (at least so far) - we are through maybe two NewPages (if that) back in the Present, and this is like my fourth or fifth signpost already!

Things were a lot more raptorishf in Time gone by.

Are you in the present,
Or blitzing the past?
Ask is the pace pleasant,
Or moving too fast!

january1may wrote:A certain style of what we would now call OTC Manips is going on: putting some text related to OTT comments in an OTC frame (or a picture mainly based on one). Unfortunately, I don't think anyone had specifically catalogued them, considering that they probably predate the wiki (for that matter, I'm not sure whether there's even a name for these - though considering the OTT opinion on standardsni, if there wasn't one there probably won't be one now).
A certain style of what we do call OTC Manips. If there are any missing, please tell us! (or even add them yourself if you're feeling up to it). We're always adding old and new content to the wiki.
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

NewPixAndroid

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:31 pm UTC

I can't get title text on my phone :(

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

Oh! Look! It's StratPlayer! :)

A new fad on drawception is Pass It On Games, which many people don't like because it's basically cheating (one has to type the previous caption into the drawing), but, at least it gave the chance for another crossover! :)

Draw your Fandom (pass it on)

Speaking of that, remember there's still a Friend Game going on! Currently on Panel 9/12, it just needs 3 more people! So, if you don't have a Drawception account yet, get one and start drawing! :D

In the meantime, here's another Vytron Presents: The Lost Frames:

http://www.ultraimg.com/images/ZuCL6.png
Alt: Forgetting the future can be dangerous.

(From 204 & 646)
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

HES

Postby HES » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Speaking of that, remember there's still a Friend Game going on! Currently on Panel 9/12, it just needs 3 more people! So, if you don't have a Drawception account yet, get one and start drawing! :D

Can it be done without linking to a social media account?
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Vytron wrote:Speaking of that, remember there's still a Friend Game going on! Currently on Panel 9/12, it just needs 3 more people! So, if you don't have a Drawception account yet, get one and start drawing! :D

I don't think so (the signup asks for FB, Twitter, or Google). But, it only uses them for authentication, as far as I know. You are the only one who knows that the account is linked; it doesn't post for you or show up on the social media account at all. You can pick whatever Drawception username you like. On the other hand, if you don't have one of those three types of account, I don't know if you can join. :|
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

I've returned from my visit to Hogwarts.

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Well, I'm working on an OTT crossover with the Doctor, and am halfway through an OTT musical.

Very excited about both of these! I started thinking about a musical myself but nothing came of it.

@BlitzGirl: Sorry to hear about your computermustard. I miss seeing you on Drawception!

@Vytron: Such a treeish panel! I've contributed to the friend game already, hope we have enough OTTers to finish it (and do more of them)...

HES wrote:

Evidently not. But it shouldn't be a problem as it only uses it to log in, nothing more.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Re: I've returned from my visit to Hogwarts.

Postby HES » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:Speaking of that, remember there's still a Friend Game going on! Currently on Panel 10/12, it just needs 2 more people!

Oh, go on then...

(Also, welcome back yappo! Hope you had a molpish time)
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Drawceptioning

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Vytron wrote:Speaking of that, remember there's still a Friend Game going on! Currently on Panel 11/12, it just needs 1 more OTTer!

Oh, go on then...

Updated again, for though I may not be drawing a caption is well within my capabilities!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Going Outside for a bit.

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

I'll be swimming in a river. Back in a few nopix.

HES

Re: Drawceptioning

Postby HES » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Updated again, for though I may not be drawing a caption is well within my capabilities!

That was my fourth attempt - whenever I tried to change brush size it decided to open the image of the button, rather than click the button, losing my progress.

That said, my first attempt was of a similar quality.
He/Him/His Image

Soup

Postby Soup » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

Pretty bad, but it looks like I finished this one!
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Thanks!!!

Yes, we did it! The dream OTT-Only Drawception game! :D

http://drawception.com/viewgame/SmZqCTetFf/snake/
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:03 am UTC

Wowterful! A Drawception hotdog made entirely of OTTers! :D
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

A snake in every panel

Postby HES » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:12 am UTC

Randammit, now I'm addicted to another productivity black hole. I hope you're happy!
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”