1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:And why is it blue?

Seasonal Affective Disorder? Still upset about T** E**? Recently dumped for the RaftCastle?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:38 pm UTC

waveney wrote:That is not a natural structure. I wonder what it is the remains of?

Those are the remains of a building. The high radiation from the remains of the reactor in the cellar has ruined the structural integrity of the cellar walls which also functioned as foundation.
Cuegan will notice it's warmer there than in the surrounding area. They will set up camp there. The radiation will mutate them into superheroes, destined to save the galaxy from the Daleks.
Sadly FTL drive is not possible and they die of old age along the trip. Thus end Cuegan.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:28 pm UTC

Hello! I'm still alive!

Sorry I've been very bad and have used the Facebook mostly to keep track of OTT related stuff, only occasionally checking here, so I'm sure I've missed a ton of stuff.

Anyhoo, some news:

This has been mentioned on FB, but for those who do not go there, this past weekend Valarya happened to be in NYC, so we met up briefly on Sunday in what we presume is the first [unofficial] OTTer meetup to occur. This was all very exciting, and for me it was another reconfirmation of both the special bond we OTTers have and what wonderful, interesting and pleasant people we are. Everyone here knows that experiencing the OTT (especially as it happened) is something that was/is life changing and I would like to reiterate that I am strongly in favor of some kind of official meetup in the future. Not sure how this might happen and perhaps it could only really happen digitally, but in any case let's not give up on the idea... Could someone take the reigns and organize something? I would fully support whatever effort is begun.

Meanwhile, I fixed those water-level spoilers by putting spoiler tag around them. I know that has been somewhat of a beef for some of the new blitzers. I think I got all of the posts with the image in, but please let me know (PM me) if I missed any.

Finally -- my Fractories comic is going well... I'm still learning how to balance my time spent on each slide -- I want to make the story as aesthetic and compelling as possible of course, but I have to keep within a reasonable time constraint, which is really a maximum of 1 hour per slide, ideally much less. It's not an easy task. If you have not been following I recommend starting with embellishment and following all the way through to the latest slide. Some of them have mouse over text, so remember to check!

Have a wonderful day & keep being Randall y'all!

-Kieryn
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0652

Postby mscha » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

BECOMONGNESS...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:40 pm UTC

It looks sort of like a sideways ship sticking out of the ground. Perhaps a disused nuclear warship - although the radiation would have died off to the point that things don't glow anymore in 11,000 years.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:50 pm UTC

Maybe the color is an artifact ― a way to show that part of the rock is different.
As for the meetup:
  1. If physical, we have the location problem.¹
  2. If digital, we have the platform problem. I'll looking for solutions on this one.

¹ FWIW, in the unlikely case some of you decide to come for this year's World Cup or the 2016 Summer Olympics, I can stay stationed at Curitiba instead of going home during the gov't-established recess.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:56 pm UTC

I know that blitzing would answer my question (blitzing answers all questions), but I'm curiouser than patient. Where in sodomy are these new bing bolly bang Dongs coming from? Is there a viewer for them?
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

If I correctly understand your question

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:58 pm UTC

Did you try clicking them?

As for who: The Silent Saga.

ETA: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 3 to go! It's not ready! Not ready!
Last edited by AluisioASG on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:59 pm UTC

Is that a thing? (I mean clicking on a dong)

Oh I see. Well, Keep up wrk, SilentBob.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

HES

Postby HES » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:32 pm UTC

What the- actual ketchup? I'd better get on it like Lucky on a Cueball Image

ChronosDragon wrote:Woah, the ONGs are getting blue! Is that mustard, or intentional to show underground stuff?

For those with gamma issues, there is intentional underground stuff in the latest ONGs. At least, there is underground stuff.

Eternal Density wrote:With great redundancy comes great redundancy

Mobiles don't handle size tags very well.

k.bookbinder wrote:Well, sure it is just a number, but you know, 7 ate 9...

Wow. It's been almost a decade since I heard that one...

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:

So many hamplies! I see my world domination plans are coming along nicely :twisted:

macraw83 wrote: - The story has been left somewhat open-ended, allowing for potential fan-fictions and the like, as well as the potential for future work from the GLR

Yes, yes it has. Does notaraptor83 know?

balthasar_s wrote:Maybe you should go into the Future.
It's pretty cool.

Oh you Image

Neil_Boekend wrote:It has canoes.

Trying to decide if my canoe-RELATED anecdote is suitable for a public audience... Image

SBN wrote:Still working on mine. Search doesn't work on "That thing I remember, that was really good." Here's where I wish I'd done more commenting on stuff I liked.

I gave up and voted on the easier stuff. I may fill in the blanks If I remember.

Kieryn wrote:Hello! I'm still alive!

Hi Kieryn!

This has been mentioned on FB, but for those who do not go there, this past weekend Valarya happened to be in NYC, so we met up briefly on Sunday in what we presume is the first [unofficial] OTTer meetup to occur.

I had one of those "Whaaaaaaatttt? Awesome!" moments when I first saw the picture. Kinda like this WolpyCastleDiaries. *OTTifies*
Spoiler:

Finally -- my Fractories comic is going well... I'm still learning how to balance my time spent on each slide -- I want to make the story as aesthetic and compelling as possible of course, but I have to keep within a reasonable time constraint, which is really a maximum of 1 hour per slide, ideally much less. It's not an easy task. If you have not been following I recommend starting with embellishment and following all the way through to the latest slide. Some of them have mouse over text, so remember to check!

Hamply Recommended!

Earthling on Mars wrote:manip supplied for hamply

Cool, the OTT has a text-to-image function :D Thanks!

Woah - this took me more than half a nopix. Like the good old days!
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

Blitz Progress: 1283/1784, np22AT.

Postby macraw83 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:37 pm UTC

schwartzbewithyou wrote:I can't imagine that this hasn't been posted before, but last night in conversation, the Green Day Song 'Good Riddance (Time of your Life)' came up and couldn't help thinking - it's all related! It doesn't even need an OTTifcation. Especially the "still frames in your mind" line...

"Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)"
Spoiler:
Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go
So make the best of this test, and don't ask why
It's not a question, but a lesson learned in time

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right,
I hope you had the time of your life.

So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind
Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time
Tattoos of memories and dead skin on trial
For what it's worth it was worth all the while

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right,
I hope you had the time of your life.
(3X)

I have thought about this song multiple times during my Blitz, considering it's my favorite song from the band. I vaguely remember it making an appearance early on in the thread, as well, and think it was on that OTT Spotify playlist that someone [(I think CatHectic(sp?)] put together a long way back.

I'm glad to see that it made its return at the moment when it was most appropriate, and figure it's probably still worth bumping again, as an OTTification that required no changes.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:51 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:I just sent my vote for the OttSCARS. I didn't expect it would take so much time.

Don't procrastinate OTTers. There's a lot here, and a lot to vote for.

But don't rush either, feel free to think about it! There's nothing wrong with Waiting until Seadix (Sunday) right before voting closes to submit your votes.
balthasar_s wrote:Also, the wiki, database, mr*bdex, blitzreports are useful when searching for the ottscars.

Yes indeed! The OTT is seaish. You don't have to search through it all if that's too daunting... the wiki is your friend!
Kieryn wrote:This has been mentioned on FB, but for those who do not go there, this past weekend Valarya happened to be in NYC, so we met up briefly on Sunday in what we presume is the first [unofficial] OTTer meetup to occur. This was all very exciting, and for me it was another reconfirmation of both the special bond we OTTers have and what wonderful, interesting and pleasant people we are. Everyone here knows that experiencing the OTT (especially as it happened) is something that was/is life changing and I would like to reiterate that I am strongly in favor of some kind of official meetup in the future. Not sure how this might happen and perhaps it could only really happen digitally, but in any case let's not give up on the idea... Could someone take the reigns and organize something? I would fully support whatever effort is begun.

Y'all should come visit me in the lake district and we can go on Megballesque hiking adventures and look for molpies and also go to the beach and make sandcastles. Because I doubt I'd be able to afford to travel anywhere else...

Also yes Kieryn's newslides are treeish and I recommend y'all check them out if you're not already doing so!
HES wrote:I had one of those "Whaaaaaaatttt? Awesome!" moments when I first saw the picture. Kinda like this WolpyCastleDiaries. *OTTifies*
Spoiler:

Image Very true.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:56 pm UTC

Ch*rp! I was doing so goo at staying in the present, then I was attacked by all these raptors and zombies and raptorzombies and zombieraptors. Ch*rp ch*rping ch*rp! I don't know when I'll have time for ketchup. :cry: Ch*rp.

But I did have this response saved in my saved-quotes queue (Care to comment on that, HES? :wink: ):

Earthling on Mars wrote:The Dark Lord

Steakish! What a great story. I think La Petite will bring him around.

And I still haven't voted, or even had time to look anything. Maybe tomorrow nip...

Sorry for all the profanity up there. Kids, don't read this post.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

HES

Postby HES » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:11 pm UTC

I was wondering where timpgoddess had got to Image
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:05 pm UTC

HES wrote:I was wondering where timpgoddess had got to Image

I was wondering why I had that headache...

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0653

Postby mscha » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

SHONGLIER...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0653

Postby SBN » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:45 pm UTC

mscha wrote:SHONGLIER...
Spoiler:

LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

uh-oh
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:03 pm UTC

That alt-text is worrisome...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:06 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

uh-oh

Whoa, crazy stuff happening in the SilentONGs! Maybe I should go back and blitz those so I'm ketched up there at least...If I
Spoiler:
sorry Minim
I'll
Spoiler:
and again
it for myself.Yep

Yep I used it both to mean "Wait for it" and the verb "to spoiler." Jealous?SNL
SNLOldish SNL referenceIs there
Is therean OTTish word for "old?"

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:15 pm UTC

Kieryn unbasemented! And lmjb is back! And Aluisio is almost at 1600 and is preparing something! And LOOK OUT!

Such excitement on this page, it's quite edifying.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:19 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:The Dark Lord

Steakish! What a great story. I think La Petite will bring him around.

Thanks. :)
lmjb1964 wrote:Is therean OTTish word for "old?"

That would be "campish"5. I don't know if it's ever been used though.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:28 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

uh-oh

I think it's an old nuclear waste storage facility and those crosses are there to warn people about the danger. The black thing was probably a sign saying something like DANGER, KEEP OUT or THIS PLACE IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR (I have the impression, someone has linked that article a very long Time ago in the OTT but I'm not sure). In frame 965 that could be a dead corpse or two.

ETA: After enhancing frame 965, I have noticed there are remains of something that looks like a steel construction - really doesn't look like Beanie's job. In frame 966, you can notice that one of the molpies on the right is radioactive while the others are not.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Eternal Density

Ketched

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

The blue stuff in the silentongs makes me think of Terraria.

Melanistic Keyboard is the next song from Vital Hotdog Function.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Soup

Postby Soup » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:55 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:In frame 966, you can notice that one of the molpies on the right is radioactive while the others are not.

Zombolpy?
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:58 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:ETA: After enhancing frame 965, I have noticed there are remains of something that looks like a steel construction - really doesn't look like Beanie's job. In frame 966, you can notice that one of the molpies on the right is radioactive while the others are not.

Here are some enhancements:

965 with collapsed steel construction:
Spoiler:

966 overall view at the "facility":
Spoiler:

966 - radiomolpy!
Spoiler:

Now that I think of it - maybe it's really a damaged nuclear reactor, the collapsed building fits this scenario more. After all, there are plenty of nuclear power plants in France.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
TaT-965-enhancement.png
TaT-966-enhancement.png
Tat-966-molpies.png
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:00 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Is therean OTTish word for "old?"

"Castleish"?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

HES

Postby HES » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:13 pm UTC

Treeish article, NoMouse. I remember reading about it at the time. Interesting challenge, I wonder what radioactive its in Beanish/cueish/trianglish.
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:18 pm UTC

Beanish is trianglish. Squarish is the one we haven't heard yet...

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:36 pm UTC

...yeah, that's what I meant :roll:
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:45 pm UTC

Holy ch*rp, I've been missing some amazing stuff in the silentONGS (and the OTT in general, probably, but the pics NoMouse just posted are particularly baobabish!)

ETA I thought the new silentONGS were actually blue, but I guess not. :oops: They are no less baobabish.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

I like blue.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:11 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Holy ch*rp, I've been missing some amazing stuff in the silentONGS (and the OTT in general, probably, but the pics NoMouse just posted are particularly baobabish!)

ETA I thought the new silentONGS were actually blue, but I guess not. :oops: They are no less baobabish.

I... I'm pretty sure they are actually blue.

Anyhow, the enhancements are very handy, thanks NoMouse.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

HES

Postby HES » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:15 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:ETA I thought the new silentONGS were actually blue, but I guess not. :oops: They are no less baobabish.

They are, it's just really dark
He/Him/His Image

Soup

Postby Soup » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 pm UTC

Thus,
Spoiler:
ENHANCE!
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

sonicspin

Postby sonicspin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:25 pm UTC

I don't know what to say other than "cool"

macraw83

Blitz Progress: 1285/1784, np31AT.

Postby macraw83 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:31 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Image

[snip]

Wait Not In Vain
A webcomic about life, the universe, and the OTT

[snip]

Well, it seems that Chronos' site has fallen into disrepair, but if it is an example of the many brilliant ideas to come, count me in :D
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Eternal Density

In search of antimustard.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:33 pm UTC

Oh, the Chronosreconnecting stuff... yeah some really epsilonish stuff's happened to his TimeAccessor. I'd almost forgotten about all that.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:35 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Holy ch*rp, I've been missing some amazing stuff in the silentONGS (and the OTT in general, probably, but the pics NoMouse just posted are particularly baobabish!)

I... I'm pretty sure they are actually blue.

Anyhow, the enhancements are very handy, thanks NoMouse.

Oooooohhh, they look black on my screen. But now that I look closer I can see. Would never have noticed without the ENHANCEments, thanks NoMouse!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:35 pm UTC

sonicspin wrote:I don't know what to say other than "cool"

Well, you can always say molpish or treeish or boababish or wowterfallish or awesomeful or ...
Spoiler:
Molpy molpy molpy molpy,
Molpy molpy molpy molpy.
Molpy molpy molpy molpy,
Grapevine, grapevine!

ETA: Are there any OTTish words with negative connotations besides "*ndish"? Maybe "mustard", but that seems fairly neutral to me.
Last edited by slinches on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:56 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:I think it's an old nuclear waste storage facility and those crosses are there to warn people about the danger. The black thing was probably a sign saying something like DANGER, KEEP OUT or THIS PLACE IS NOT A PLACE OF HONOR (I have the impression, someone has linked that article a very long Time ago in the OTT but I'm not sure). In frame 965 that could be a dead corpse or two.

Wow - that's caveish41! Sounds like something out of a sci fi novel, especially with the intentionally simplistic wording. I have to wonder if whatever future culture would be living near Yucca Mountain would still be able to read English, or have access to someone that does - but if they could, I think they might be more curious than warned!

41Creepy

macraw83 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Wait Not In Vain
A webcomic about life, the universe, and the OTT

[snip]

Well, it seems that Chronos' site has fallen into disrepair, but if it is an example of the many brilliant ideas to come, count me in :D

Ah, this. Many a dissapointed blitzer has passed it and wondered. The story there is that I had a brilliant idea, wanted to make it work, but I did not have the skills nor the time to keep it going. It was to be a site where I would host an OTT fanfiction comic as well as where others could post their own - but when it came down to it, I kept putting it off until at last mscha came out with his system and, well, I had no reason to keep it going. My comic, which I still want to do at some point, remains in my head for now.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:02 am UTC

JUMPONG
We all know how this ends...
Last edited by HES on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”