1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

balthasar_s

Re: Some lurkreplies before ketchup

Postby balthasar_s » Tue May 06, 2014 12:07 pm UTC

czule wrote:balthabath, is that a "running with sciscors" game
No, but it sometimes includes running from scisors.
Spoiler:

azule wrote:Thanks for the beantel, balthtel. Extra points for how it works without being plugged into the wall.
It's not the first time this happens.
balthasar_s wrote:Image

Neil_Boekend wrote:The apparatus is a laser cannon.
Yes.
Spoiler:
balthasar_s wrote:Image

Redundant.
Spoiler:
runscisors.PNG

wtyczka.PNG

Im'm pope and I don't even know what's going on in the present.
Image wrote:beaniewheeltower silentong speculation. or something.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1023

Postby mscha » Tue May 06, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

IMAGONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "The Psychology of Modern Chemistry"

Postby SBN » Tue May 06, 2014 1:10 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Aperture Paragon Labs Test Subject #44237415 - Test Progression Report
<snip>

Further entries will relate the proceedings in chambers 3-5, as they are completed.

Very good. Continue the mission.

Count me in.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
azule wrote:
SBN wrote:I apparently can't order my new organized sand online, because, "Our website works best with Internet Explorer" I told them I thought that was a bit like demanding that I drive a Chevy to their store to buy things. (Note, I don't have anything in particular against Chevy, that was just what I chose for my analogy.) I understand that they can't guarantee their site will work with every single browser out there, but just one?
Weird. I haven't run into a site like that in a while, except for tax related ones (which I get working just fine once I spoof IE for them.) I agree with your analogy.

The problem with sites that only work in IE is that it is a logical fallacy. IE doesn't work so the sites can't work in IE.[/joke]
If the makers just follow the W3C rules they can shove the things that are wrong on the site where they belong: with the browser makers. However, people are far to catering to self centered browser makers to do that. They feel it should look good DESPITE the fact that the browser doesn't do it's job.

Eventually I just drove to the store. And, of course, having spent money on new organized sand (sands?, I got two of them.) The rolling raftcastle decided it needed a turn. Hopefully that fix won't be too painful.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Dracomax

Re: 1190: "The Psychology of Modern Chemistry"

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 06, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Aperture Paragon Labs Test Subject #44237415 - Test Progression Report
<snip>

Further entries will relate the proceedings in chambers 3-5, as they are completed.

Very good. Continue the mission.

Count me in.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
azule wrote:
SBN wrote:I apparently can't order my new organized sand online, because, "Our website works best with Internet Explorer" I told them I thought that was a bit like demanding that I drive a Chevy to their store to buy things. (Note, I don't have anything in particular against Chevy, that was just what I chose for my analogy.) I understand that they can't guarantee their site will work with every single browser out there, but just one?
Weird. I haven't run into a site like that in a while, except for tax related ones (which I get working just fine once I spoof IE for them.) I agree with your analogy.

The problem with sites that only work in IE is that it is a logical fallacy. IE doesn't work so the sites can't work in IE.[/joke]
If the makers just follow the W3C rules they can shove the things that are wrong on the site where they belong: with the browser makers. However, people are far to catering to self centered browser makers to do that. They feel it should look good DESPITE the fact that the browser doesn't do it's job.

Eventually I just drove to the store. And, of course, having spent money on new organized sand (sands?, I got two of them.) The rolling raftcastle decided it needed a turn. Hopefully that fix won't be too painful.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and put it in a time capsule to confuse the hill people.

For some reason, not only does microsft do the IE only thing with their site(understandable, if stupid on occasion, and the ties it needs to the CPU infrastructure for updates are part of the reason IE is inherently less secure) but other companies do it too for things which are supposed to be somewhat secure, like timesheet entry, web-meetings, and server access. I don't understand why at this point... especially after the last round of IE is a poisoned apple virus issues.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

ergman

A Penis Halo?

Postby ergman » Tue May 06, 2014 1:56 pm UTC

Hi Azule, hi cloudy, hi Dracomax! Hi! Hello!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

karhell

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby karhell » Tue May 06, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

Phew ! Molpy back !

A few xips visiting my family in Wales has left quite a pile of ketchup, which has just been duly ingested.

First things first : condoleances, HES; it's obvious Simba meant a lot to you, and transitively, he meant a lot to all of us.

On a lighter tone, while shopping around in Bridgend, I actually saw a van with an "HES" logo on the side that gave me a huge silly grin ^^
Also, a RELATED monument in Porthcawl which will have to wait for it until I get home
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Tue May 06, 2014 4:08 pm UTC

I am really surprised that nobody commented on here that the new COSMOS had a reference to the filling of the mediterranean sea, even showing the same trees (logically) that Randall used in this comic. As soon as I saw it on TV, I told my wife "It's the Time Comic!!!"
(terran/protoss/zerg/fascist fuck)

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1024

Postby mscha » Tue May 06, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

CARONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 06, 2014 4:53 pm UTC

Looks like it wasn't a portable Clacks tower after all.

Welcome back Cloudy_the_Conqueror! And also moody7277! And there was somebody else too... but can't find 'em now. Quick - check the basement!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1142

Postby mscha » Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm UTC

GEOLUNGUISTICS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:DISREGARD THAT, I SCHIZOBLITZ TIMEODIES

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 5:13 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:I am really surprised that nobody commented on here that the new COSMOS had a reference to the filling of the mediterranean sea, even showing the same trees (logically) that Randall used in this comic. As soon as I saw it on TV, I told my wife "It's the Time Comic!!!"

Ooh, really? I'm going to have to watch that episode soon. Thanks for the tip, trpmb6!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue May 06, 2014 5:15 pm UTC

trpmb6 wrote:I am really surprised that nobody commented on here that the new COSMOS had a reference to the filling of the mediterranean sea, even showing the same trees (logically) that Randall used in this comic. As soon as I saw it on TV, I told my wife "It's the Time Comic!!!"

I missed most of it, but came into the room just as it was under discussion. (And meant to mention it here, but forgot, so thank you.)

Welcome trpmb6, Revealer the Recent. Have you been lurking all along? Hope you'll join in.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 5:45 pm UTC

I think the latest SilentONG is the first Time we've ever seen a wheel used to transport anything in a 'pix. We saw the circular view-scope thing in the survey towers before, but the only "vehicles" really have been raftcastles.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 06, 2014 6:06 pm UTC

Although Cuegan aren't surprised at the wheel, so it probably isn't new to them. You think they'd atleast throw out a 'neat'

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlitzGirl

Time Revisited - np1143

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 6:19 pm UTC

LookUNG different...

OTT Time Travel
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 06, 2014 6:37 pm UTC

ergman wrote:Although Cuegan aren't surprised at the wheel, so it probably isn't new to them. You think they'd atleast throw out a 'neat'
I don't think the wheel is so easily forgotten. I can't really imagine being able to build a raftcastle without knowing about the wheel.

SBN wrote:Welcome trpmb6, Revealer the Recent. Have you been lurking all along? Hope you'll join in.
Aha! That was the one! Welcome! Stick around a bit!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 7:26 pm UTC

I think I need some lUNGch.
Spoiler:
OTT Time Travel

OTToMeme wrote:I FEEL PARALYZED BY OVERWHELMING EXISTENTIAL DREAD.

...AND YET FOR SOME REASON I'M REALLY EXCITED ABOUT WOWTERFALLS?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1025

Postby mscha » Tue May 06, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

NEWFONGLEDNESSES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 10:01 pm UTC

Feels like the OTT is officially back to its pre-Timeversary rate. :(

The UNG for last nopix, because it's dialogue:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np1147

Postby mscha » Tue May 06, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

DISTUNGUÉE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THEY'RE TAKING THE TREBUCHETS TO ISENGARD!

-- posted by oldpixbot

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 06, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

gah! The Ungs are overflowing. Wait for it for a tiny bit longer!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 11:27 pm UTC

Wait for what?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue May 06, 2014 11:31 pm UTC

This mediocre finale!
Spoiler:
journal5DO.png
Someone should look into the way Stick figures react to light...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 06, 2014 11:42 pm UTC

Hurray! Steakishly done, ergman! :mrgreen:

For something different, a semi-RELATED Drawception hotdog with 1-minuteH drawing limit:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1026

Postby mscha » Wed May 07, 2014 12:30 am UTC

TOUCHONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Wed May 07, 2014 1:00 am UTC

Some Ways to Time

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 07, 2014 2:14 am UTC

Spoiler:

Okay, Beanies, no more building artificial mountains near the Gibraltar dam.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Ketchupped in the Present

Postby azule » Wed May 07, 2014 2:49 am UTC

For decree: The wheel stretcher will be used for the tallest Beanie ever!!

For some reason I was really excited to see the tower in the latest MysteryONGs. :)

Great OTTies, mscha and Zooman. Oh geez, I was missing the joke. Why is the new OTTification inside the spoiler? Haha, do I belong here if I didn't get that? lol. Adding bzar to the list. Now I'm tempted to set this up to actually be clickable...but...
Oh, whoops, your name doesn't have a z, does it b..... it's an s. Sorry.

Balthalaughter, good work using mostly Time dialogue. You're gonna have to ask the question again, is this a manip or an OTTherComic OTTification? I'm not sure I have a good answer this time. I'm leaning toward the latter.
You're on a manip roll. No bicycle pun intended.

mrob27, I have my offline Q04B game going but my left arrow key is dying, but damn if you don't earn some geek cred for supplying a WASD interface. Yay, thanks!

SBN wrote:On the plus side, mentioning the drive in a job interview was enough to convince them to hire me. (That, and that I reminded them of someone else that did good work. Occasionally the randomness of life works in my favor.)
So small talk is useful. A little unfair, but neat.

balthazzle wrote:I changed the Mustardtime Otherthread icon
Neat, but a short stop between each image would be better and still get the point across.

BC wrote:Then they both grew, and she ended up a D. A bit much, she says.
Why would someone ever say that? It's not even a DD, so it sounds reasonable to me.

NB wrote:Oh by the way, I got X rays. Anyone wanna see?
No thanks. Sounds painful enough.
A few posts later note: Oh, good, I looked anyways and it was put back together. I thought you meant with the bones split apart. I didn't know horizontal screws were restrictive like that.

BC wrote:<formula summed up>I was going to clean the house but instead I made this neat formula, well, I'm almost done with it. Are you good with visiting again next Thursday, you'll see how efficient it made me.</formula summed up>

programming sucks webpage wrote:On the internet, it's okay to say, "You know, this kind of works some of the time if you're using the right technology," and BAM! it's part of the internet now.
I'm so embarrassed. lol.

programming sucks webpage wrote:all that matters is a little series of numbers went into a giant labyrinth of symbols and a different series of numbers or a picture of a kitten came out the other end
That is true. A Time frame, specifically, of course.

Neil_Boekend wrote:People should write sites that only work properly in Links or Lynx, that require you hold a lynx or travel in a lynx towards the lynx.
(I agree that lynxes are cool anymals, but the disambiguation list for lynx is just silly long).
I don't think Links is related to lynxes... Links are those internet hyperlink thingies. I agree about the site working in one of these browsers, but Javascript and CSS are still fun/important, too. Having to wait for a server to do everything isn't fun on a non-fast connection.

BlitzGirl wrote:Steakish song ottification and OdeTiTy, azule!
Thank you.

Mr Moriaty wrote:But if you did die you wouldn't be able to change it.
I meant a Neil_Boekend type of death. Sorry if that wasn't obvious.

ergman wrote:Hi Azule, hi cloudy, hi Dracomax! Hi! Hello! Hi Penis Halo?
Added Subject to your quote. Also, hi. hehe.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl

Re: Ketchupped in the Present

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 07, 2014 3:53 am UTC

azule wrote:Balthalaughter, good work using mostly Time dialogue. You're gonna have to ask the question again, is this a manip or an OTTherComic OTTification? I'm not sure I have a good answer this time. I'm leaning toward the latter.

I think I'm leaning the same way you're leaning on this one, azule, since it's a "two-panel" work, but I'd be interested to see how balthatoonist feels about it.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 07, 2014 3:54 am UTC

azule wrote:I meant a Neil_Boekend type of death. Sorry if that wasn't obvious.
I never quite figured out how that happened. One moment he was alive, the next moment he was food for worms. I guess that's how it always goes.

ergman - steakish! But now I want the sequel!

Jose

mscha

Time Revisited - np1153

Postby mscha » Wed May 07, 2014 4:10 am UTC

PUNGENESIS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON FLUTTERBEES

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Re: Time Revisited - np1153

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 07, 2014 4:12 am UTC

oldpixbot wrote:
AUTOMOME wrote:THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON FLUTTERBEES

Crucial point of clarification: have these flutterbees been exposed to radiation?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1027

Postby mscha » Wed May 07, 2014 4:30 am UTC

HONGARS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed May 07, 2014 4:30 am UTC

BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed May 07, 2014 5:18 am UTC

Intriguing SilentOng device. I want to say that maybe it is a sail.

Also, pre-congrats to mrob300.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 07, 2014 5:19 am UTC

Oh, clever - there's a wheel or pulley at the end of the wheelstick that controls what appears to be a rope.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed May 07, 2014 5:58 am UTC

ucim wrote:
azule wrote:I meant a Neil_Boekend type of death. Sorry if that wasn't obvious.
I never quite figured out how that happened. One moment he was alive, the next moment he was food for worms. I guess that's how it always goes.

Well, after the first post on newpage 836 it just couldn't go any other way.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Re: Time Revisited - np1153

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 07, 2014 6:20 am UTC

oldpixbot wrote:PUNGENESIS...

No. Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Wed May 07, 2014 6:43 am UTC

It appears to have a bucket on the end.... could they use it to get something out of the cave without going in?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 07, 2014 6:45 am UTC

The black object on the ground was placed there by Ms. Frizzle - that's what she's trying to use the wheelstick to pick up. But yeah, I think the idea is that they can repurpose this thing for use at the bluecave.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”