1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:34 pm UTC

mscha wrote:WHUNG...
Spoiler:

Whoa. Speak of the UNG and it appears.

HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Some day I need to dig out those pictures of me with baby otters.

Do it. Do it now!

Might need to wait till I get home.

Whoa. Pope three times in four newpages is unprecedented for me. Have I become BlitzGirl? I do have a punsaw. No pink boa, though. Weird.

OK, my disco decree proved to be unpopular. Let's see, what happened in 1973? (BTW, the first website I went to for information on 1973 claimed that this happened in Greece: "Following student rioting Marshal Law is imposed" Now, it may be that there is a guy in Greece named Marshal who enacted some law, but I'm guessing not.) Ah, Dark Side of the Moon was released in 1973. Also, clothes were really, really ugly then. So,

*ahem* Decree!
OTTify something from Dark Side of the Moon
or
Dress Cuegan in ugly clothes from the 70s.
or
Just think about how ugly clothes were in the 70s. Need help? Well, there's this and this and, Randall help us, this.

edited to fix links.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:27 pm UTC

He/Him/His Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:33 pm UTC

Hamplies are faster than turtlemolps...
RSIR:
Spoiler:
403darkside.png
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1206

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:30 am UTC

SONGLETREES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:10 am UTC

Having only just figured out the decree thing.... I feel I've missed out there. Dammit.

Also You will NOT go home Cueball.
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

ggh

Re: The Space Page

Postby ggh » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:14 am UTC

Wowterful otties, HES and Zooman! This newpage is purty!

BlueCrab wrote:
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:ETA: ah, pope. Celebrate the return of Time.

ergman wrote:Celebrate, the epilogue returns!
bobs again the ebb and flow of time
flow and ebb the bobbing magic meter
which jumps forward, bumping every rhyme
while other structures might be neater
this cadence froths RELATED with each line.

ggh wrote:Ain't no use in complainin'
'Bout the chores I don't get through
Ride my leopard down to the ketchup
'Cuz that's where I see you.

lmjb wrote:Hangin' in the OTT
Is an awesomeful endeavor.
Oh, and when I read your posts
I know that I'll stay here forever.
This is the best thread on the web.
Oh yeah
And we're here on newpage '69, oh.
Phooey, ETA I love this disjointed poem!

Or serial otty, started by yappo. I think ergman's wingish poem was its own independent butterfly. Try it like this and it's less disjointed:
Bryan Adams wishes he wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Oh when I look back now, that newpage seemed to last forever...
ZoomanSP wrote:...and if I had the choice, yeah I'd always wait for it here
This is the best thread of the web
ggh wrote:Ain't no use in complainin'
'Bout the chores I don't get through
Ride my leopard down to the ketchup
'Cuz that's where I see you.

lmjb wrote:Hangin' in the OTT
Is an awesomeful endeavor.
Oh, and when I read your posts
I know that I'll stay here forever.
This is the best thread on the web.
Oh yeah
And we're here on newpage '69, oh.

BlueCrab wrote:I can't find them! :cry:
Spoiler:
Can someone tell me where Cuegan are in this manip please?

I found them in this one, though!
Spoiler:
ggh wrote:what is the meanUNG of this?:
Thanks, ggh :D

Oops - sorry, that was pretty obscure. That picture was of when Washington DC got burnt by the Brits in the War of 1812, and I've highlighted the part of newpix 1812 that I added here:
Actually, that highlighting includes the extra axe too. When I saw that I was putting a tree stump in Washington, I couldn't resist adding a reference to the famous story about George Washington chopping down the cherry tree. Of course, even if that actually happened, it didn't happen there. Anyways....

rsir:
Spoiler:
difference1812.jpg

ETFTFM
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:31 am UTC

Awesomeful manips, HES and Zooman! Just what I wanted.

Mr. Moriarty, you haven't missed out on anything. Still plenty of Time to follow the decree. For that matter, you could follow a decree on different page that you feel you missed out on, and that would be fine too.

ggh, I knew what the painting was and got the reference to 1812, but I didn't see Cuegan at all till BlueCrab mentioned it. Then I saw Cuegan, but totally missed that you added shrubbery as well. Steakish!!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time Revisited - np1872

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:10 am UTC

SLEDGUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:ATTACK ITS WEAK POINT FOR WOWTERFALLISH MIPS

-- posted by oldpixbot

ChronosDragon

THEY SEE ME DELURKIN, THEY COMAIN

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:29 am UTC

PROJECTS DONE: 1.8/4

DAYS REMAINING: 13

SLEEP HAD (NIGHT: LAST): 5

WORDS LEFT (POST: THIS): ONE (HERE)

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1207

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:30 am UTC

NIGHTLONG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:55 am UTC

There is a seaish treebucket mentioned in the new OtherComic!
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:10 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:There is a seaish treebucket mentioned in the new OtherComic!

Not to mention a rather fantastic pun.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:21 am UTC

slinches wrote:Not to mention a rather fantastic pun.
Don't let BlitzGirl get wind of it!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:14 am UTC

ucim wrote:
She'll be blown away!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:30 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Whoa. Pope three times in four newpages is unprecedented for me. Have I become BlitzGirl? I do have a punsaw. No pink boa, though. Weird.

You do have a purple lei. That should do.
It has been proven that you are BlitzGirl.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mrob27

IN JAPAN, ケチャップ WAITS FOR *YOU*

Postby mrob27 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:58 am UTC

Back from Japan...

第一章

(introduction)

守炉部二十七 (Morobu-Niju-Nana), disgorged from the belly of the great dragon, now rides calmly in a fluffy azure-coloured raptorcatbus, across rice paddies and under power lines, through tunnels in mountains, west past the Izu peninsula towards Fujisan.
    He has come to seek 富士山学校検索技能, the famous Dojo of Searchfu, for the annual Minazuki enrollment period, and the great mountain has been painted gray for the occasion. Prior to the Meiji Restoration, the traditional painting of the mountain was a weeks-long community effort, but in modern times they do it with robots.
    The raptorcatbus delivers Morobu-san to the threshold of the path on which all would-be students must continue their journey by foot. It appears to be an ordinary 登山 embarkation depot, a shop that rents hiking equipment and sells maps, bottled water and Fuji souvenirs. Morobu knows to avoid all this, and walks around the back to a small garden, with several ancient stones and a few miniature trees placed around a neatly groomed sand "pond". Crossing this, he enters the path that leads into the edge of the forest.
    Travel is easy at first. To either side Morobu hears the soft babble of streams running loud and clear. The (cedar) trees are healthy and tall, and the scent of the green needles is refreshing. Occasionally he enters a small clearing where shorter trees and some grasses and flowers replace the cedars. It seems that the robot-painters of Fujisan missed a spot — Morobu can see a bit of white in the sky that is too still and clearly defined to be a puff of cloud. The mountain is still quite far away. There is a long journey ahead.

... and now beginning ketchup posts.

HES wrote: (OTT:1965:4) Speaking of the Japanese, apparently "hamuketsu" [ハムケツ] is becoming popular.

Oh, that's pretty funny :D

AluisioASG wrote: (OTT:1965:7) Have you thought of versioning your resources instead? I'm thinking of doing that and letting people cache all non-index.html files forever.

I've looked in places like this and have yet to find anything like a per-resource version number, beyond the existing validators (like the Last-Modified header that is already generated for me automatically by Apache). Together with a big max-age and a no-cache or must-revalidate in the Cache-Control header, it seems that I get whatever benefits you'd get from "versioning".
    @AluisioASG, perhaps you can describe more precisely what you mean, how can I set up my Apache to serve all non-index.html files with a sort of version number and infinite max-age?

MistyCat wrote: (OTT:1965:32) Twice now after completion of a seaish cascade I've copied the game string and imported it into another browser (following your advice I'm now playing in Chrome, which plays at least twice as fast) and tried to undo, to see alternatives, and simply accepted that Undo information is probably not included in the string.

Yes, I really wanted to include the undo information in the import/export data... but each step of undo would need to add at least 35 characters to the undo info. Compression isn't really an option, because I am using 1+10+26+26 characters (to provide for tile values up to 2^61 if needed over the future evolution of the game) so 1 character per tile works really well, and provides the huge advantage of being able to reconstruct the string manually from a screen dump if needed.
    Having a longer export string isn't a problem in and of itself, except that the Console Log includes export strings... and it can't get much longer than the current limit of about 100K characters before I have to worry about the limits various browsers place on localStorage.
    As a partial consolation, I will at least be able to keep the undo intact as you go from the game to the Options&Info page and back (within the same browser). Maybe I can provide a "seaish-export" option which keeps more of this transient data, useful for switching browsers, but which is not used for the console log's auto-snapshots.

Last time I did that I played with the Lucky option for a while. It's very depressing to see a mindless 5-step repetition achieve much better recovery than I can manage from what I would have called extremely bad positions, time and time again. Steakish, mrob.

And that's just the first of the automolpy boosts :mrgreen:
    But seriously, I would guess that you've been comparing Lucky to a human in conditions that are favourable for Lucky. When the grid starts to get pretty full, humans do much better than Lucky. I can explain more of this as I roll out some of these more advanced molpies I keep hinting about, or for a really huge spoiler I guess you could look at the JavaScript :D

Gotta go, it's been nearly 20 minutes since I played Q04B.
2:4548728:H:4548728:6:F0021H63..G92..F4...E0...D.........:58:10:1.17768,3.451,4.7

So cool! I think you must be the first one to reach a TimeAfterTime tile... :D

mrob27 Image

Spoiler:
NP1972 ケチャップ.jpg
ケチャップ (3種類)
NP1972 ケチャップ.jpg (57.06 KiB) Viewed 10055 times

Q04B013-4548728ReadyToCleanUp.gif
Smaller version of MistyCat Q04B screen shot
Q04B013-4548728ReadyToCleanUp.gif (39.94 KiB) Viewed 9340 times
Last edited by mrob27 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:55 am UTC, edited 6 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Mr Moriaty

Postby Mr Moriaty » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:01 am UTC

I hesitate to do this.... but only momentarily because it is a It is Fan-tastic show.
Spoiler:
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1876

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:10 am UTC

DISQUIETUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:NO, KEYBOARD, YOU ARE THE FIRSTPOST

-- posted by oldpixbot

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1208

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:30 am UTC

ARMONGTON...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:37 am UTC

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:42 am UTC

mm np 787, before I died.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:44 am UTC

mscha wrote:Image

Heh, at first I didn't see the important bit, and I thought that you just had a new bot posting the othercomics. Nice work!

Is this related enough for the decree?

ETA: Looking at that Sears catalog... I, um, kinda liked some of those threads....
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:57 am UTC

And of course, this doesn't even need OTTification.

RSIR:
Spoiler:
2573-DSotM.png
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1209

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

CONGO...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

mrob26 wrote:Yes, I really wanted to include the undo information in the import/export data... but each step of undo would need to add at least 35 characters to the undo info.
You could provide the last n steps, where n is a small enough number. Ten would work.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: Time After Time: t1i-1202

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:21 pm UTC

(not quite ketched up; at the top of NP1972)
Yay more Acts of the Clerics!
Yay BlitzGirl's back!

newpixbot wrote:ROUNDONGS...
Spoiler:

Oh my, that was as jarring as the tiny trebuchet.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:00 pm UTC

POUNCUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:06 pm UTC

Am I the only one who doesn't think the non-plaid 70s clothes looked that bad?
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:09 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't think the non-plaid 70s clothes looked that bad?
I liked them. Some of them anyway. I certainly liked the shirts with big designs on them.

Jose

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1210

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

VEXONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:31 pm UTC

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Something just came through the post today. From a certain OTTer no less. Anybody want to guess what I am now the proud owner of? I'll give you a clue. My oven now reminds me of the OTC & OTT.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1886

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:10 pm UTC

GUNGERLINESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:404 - WHISTLE OF TEMPORAL HARMONY NOT FOUND

-- posted by oldpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:56 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Something just came through the post today. From a certain OTTer no less. Anybody want to guess what I am now the proud owner of? I'll give you a clue. My oven now reminds me of the OTC & OTT.

Awesomeful! Pics or it didn't happen. (Hmm, and I haven't even been pm'd by ggh about mine yet...)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:03 pm UTC

The Questionable Carcass looks very questionable indeed in that close-up pix!
Loving the manips on this newpage. :mrgreen: Molpish decree!
Also, is lmjb now me? Or are we us? Should we be worried?

SBN wrote:I think before Dissertation mode, you should pause for Dessertation mode:
Spoiler:

Oh no. *shakes head sadly*
Spoiler:

ZoomanSP wrote:
ucim wrote:
She'll be blown away!

It's awesomeful that mscha punsawed the Othercomic, but I must handle this punchain myself:

VITSSÅGEN, JA!

Cueball's brain amoeba didn't like MegUNG's attack:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:22 pm UTC

I posted about an evil searaptor on my MTA but it doesn't exist. Sneaky chirpstards steal posts, as well as chips :|
Last edited by HES on Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:29 pm UTC

Q:How many pun chains would a pun-chainsaw saw?
A:
Spoiler:
A pun-chainsaw would saw all the pun chains it could saw, If a pun-chainsaw could saw pun chains!"

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:37 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
Spoiler:
A pun-chainsaw would saw all the pun chains it could saw, If a pun-chainsaw could saw pun chains!"
BlitzGirl saw what you did there, soon she'll saw the who that did the what there, don't you see?

Jose

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:49 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh no. *shakes head sadly*
Spoiler:

Well it is National Donut day.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:26 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
slinches wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl saw what you did there, soon she'll saw the who that did the what there, don't you see?

Jose

But are there any actual puns in there? I just meant it as an OTTification of the woodchuck tongue twister (inspired by BlitzGirl turning the punsaw loose on pun-chains).

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1211

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

MELTONGNESSES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”