1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

ONG THE BLITZROCKETS... WITH YOUR NEWPIXBOTTIFICATION

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:29 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:I am completely operational and all my circuits are functioning perfectly.

Hello again all. I noticed a strange disturbance in the OTT, as if a million OTTers cried out with joy and then were suddenly silenced.

Red Hal! Hiya and welcome back! OK, just noticed that your avatar blinks sometimes. It's a little creepy.

Angelastic wrote:
ergman wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:What is this mirror?
When/why should I use it?
Where is it's locale?

haiku'd, because it was already so close.

I clicked a link from the Landing thread to this one, and saw a my name. Yes, I am proud! Keep molpying on!

Hiya, Angelastic! Nice to see you.

And wow, Cadellin, it's been a long Time!

cari.j.elliot wrote:Today feels like home. There is Time in Space and we must wait for it.

And carl.j.elliot, and htom! Baobabs! Y'all know about the meetup, right?

And Valarya, yay! Such happy Times!

ZoomanSP wrote:One of probably many possible OTThercomics of 1446:

Spoiler:

Awesomeful!

Hi, nerdsniped!

Can't keep up with the Otherthread. Woke up to 12 NP of ketchup, and NP were being added faster than I was reading. I guess by now it may have landed, or not, right? Don't want to spoiler myself by looking at the news. What does it say that I'd rather follow this historic event via wecomic? Actually via thread. And this is RELATED because it feels so much like the OTT back in the day. :D

ETA whoops, just now noticed I was pope. And the thread is moving so raptorcattishly that we're already on a different page. So, I decree that, uh, everbody should post molpish things, and more people should debasement.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ergman

Schizoblitzing on a whole new level.

Postby ergman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:38 pm UTC

still blitzing the Space thread (what I'll be calling it.) I hope being in the present here won't spoil me of anything from the other one. man, why do I always miss the starts of these kinds of things?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Dracomax

Re: Schizoblitzing on a whole new level.

Postby Dracomax » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:53 pm UTC

ergman wrote:still blitzing the Space thread (what I'll be calling it.) I hope being in the present here won't spoil me of anything from the other one. man, why do I always miss the starts of these kinds of things?

I usually miss them because they start at something like midnight local outsider time. alas, I still have not eliminated the need to coma.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Valarya

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:59 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:Awesomeful. :D

The fora population has been seaish because of the Rosettapix:

I saw it even larger than that but forgot to screencap.

Here's the maximum of what I captured:

On 12 Nov 2014, 16:17:26 UTC, phpBB wrote:Who is online
Users browsing this forum: 30939, ahecht, Ambignostic, arcanmster, Azrael, BlitzGirl, bluebambue, cameroda, Carlington, cellocgw, Chicagojon, Djehutynakht, dotancohen, Dracomax, Earthling on Mars, eidako, ElWanderer, Emitime, enumerated powers, Flotter, Foarm, gnutrino, Google Feedfetcher, HAL9000, HereBeUnmappedBits, JDGA, kenmelken, Klear, LordHorst, Lynx Cat, Magdiragdag, marchlight, moody7277, Moose Anus, orthogon, ouin, Patteroast, philip1201, pinkgothic, Plutarch, PolakoVoador, Qalyar, Quercus, Reecer6, Roĝer, Rvanbergen, SBN, schapel, Schumi, sdnelso2, slinches, snoopy369, Soup, SPACKlick, speedyjohn, suso, Sustainabilizer, Swein, Tatiana, tejing, TheMinim, tobiasgies, ucim, Whizbang, Xenocat, Ximenez and 500 guests

This is obviously not accurate because it didn't capture me. 8-)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:06 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:This Time 'twas not I who was caught with my molpy down!

Only because you and yappo are inversely yappocised!
He/Him/His Image

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:31 pm UTC

Hi everymolpy!
I'm alive, surrounded by life-mustard, and I miss you so much.

ggh, I did get your wonderful package - if I can get out of my own way I'll take pictures of my Cuegan proto-earrings in the New Zealand sand soon.

lmjb, I got your messages too - I haven't looked at the photos yet but hopefully I'll be able to get my phone away from Little Bear long enough to look at them this afternoon.

This showed up on Tumblr today - I traced it back as far as Elizabeth Bear's Tumblr but it doesn't say who made the gif!
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

balthasar_s

CEILING NEWPIXBOTTIFICATION IS WATCHING YOU CRENELLATE

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:33 pm UTC

When I draw bftf I sometimes leave notes for my future self who will scan and frameify the pages:
Spoiler:
I have some failed drawings on the pages:
Spoiler:
And there are things like this, completely unrelated:
Spoiler:

ETA: I can't keep up with the Hairdo othercomic now.

Redundant
Spoiler:
bftfunrel0.JPG
bftfunrel0.JPG (20.49 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
bftffail7.JPG
bftffail7.JPG (6.86 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
bftffail6.JPG
bftffail6.JPG (4.49 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
bftffail5.JPG
bftffail5.JPG (13.22 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
bftffail3.JPG
bftffail3.JPG (4.49 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
bftffail2.JPG
bftffail2.JPG (17.3 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
bftffail1.JPG
bftffail1.JPG (24.06 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
bftffail0.JPG
bftffail0.JPG (17.4 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
bftfnote4.JPG
bftfnote4.JPG (8.73 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
bftfnote3.JPG
bftfnote3.JPG (8.47 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
bftfnote1.JPG
bftfnote1.JPG (14.8 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
bftfnote0.JPG
bftfnote0.JPG (3.69 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
bftfnote2.JPG
bftfnote2.JPG (12.03 KiB) Viewed 7988 times
Last edited by balthasar_s on Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:38 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:36 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:Hi everymolpy!

Baobabs, hi!
BlueCrab wrote:This showed up on Tumblr today - I traced it back as far as Elizabeth Bear's Tumblr but it doesn't say who made the gif!

Klear made one in the otherthread, but whether or not it's the same one I don't know.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:41 pm UTC

Bluecrab! Yay!

also, a lot of debasementees on the Space thread, reminiscing. hopefully they'll show back up here.

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HES

Postby HES » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:45 pm UTC

Klear's was a little too fast, I don't think they're the same
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:12 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:

Baobabs, hi!
BlueCrab wrote:This showed up on Tumblr today - I traced it back as far as Elizabeth Bear's Tumblr but it doesn't say who made the gif!

Klear made one in the otherthread, but whether or not it's the same one I don't know.

The one you linked slows down for text and speeds up in between, whereas Klear's runs at a constant pace.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:18 pm UTC

slinches wrote:I think standard fora moderation systems break down when the postrate reaches several new pages per hour, sustained for weeks at a time. There'd need to be several mods working together in shifts, just to keep up. And then keeping a coherent message for deciding what's on topic, what to split out into separate threads and what to just delete would be near impossible with the comic itself constantly changing.

We'll have a much better chance the second time around though, since we can help by trying to stick to the rules ourselves and self-moderating as much as we can (without getting in the way of the primary topic, of course).

Well....

What should have happened is that, when the various ... molpy..? language bits got added in, and the conversation started shifting more towards the phenomenon happening in the thread (and little personal conversations and so on cropping up) a mod should have stepped in with a "Hey, knock that off, just discuss the two people building the castle and maybe theorize where it's going and that's it" sort of thing.

Which would mean this thread wouldn't have turned out as it did and so on. So a Time 2 thread would, quite frankly, be watched hard. Probably as hard as the various PUA threads that have happened due to the nature of what happened here.

So... I've already forgotten and am too lazy to look.. whoever suggested that there might be two different OTT schools, OG and New Coke.... sadly.. or not sadly, correctly... however you want to call it... we'd be going out of our way to make sure it didn't happen again.

Because, as Belial more or less said during the last Mod Madness - what happened here shouldn't have happened and by the time we noticed what was happening, it was too late to stop it. The second time... we'd stop it before it started, and do more to encourage newcomers to check out the rest of the forum, and not create a mini-forum in a single thread.

That, or we'd say "Fuck it" and make a Time Subforum and let you people figure it out from there.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

POOL'S CLOSED DUE TO OTCOLORISATION

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:34 pm UTC

I'm alive, surrounded by life-mustard, and I miss you so much.

ggh, I did get your wonderful package - if I can get out of my own way I'll take pictures of my Cuegan proto-earrings in the New Zealand sand soon.

lmjb, I got your messages too - I haven't looked at the photos yet but hopefully I'll be able to get my phone away from Little Bear long enough to look at them this afternoon.

This showed up on Tumblr today - I traced it back as far as Elizabeth Bear's Tumblr but it doesn't say who made the gif!

Yay! And de-basements with an RNM! Have cake.
Couldn't decide which to offer, so I added 'em both.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
cake1.jpeg
cake1.jpeg (8.26 KiB) Viewed 7911 times

cake2.jpeg
cake2.jpeg (10.61 KiB) Viewed 7911 times

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:35 pm UTC

Marsh'n blitzing to you from NP475

Helper wrote:
Latent22 wrote:*Looks at helper's avatar*

wat

HELPER IS BACK! (A great rejoicing ensues.)

Other thoughts:
Spoiler:
To loop, or not to loop, the present question -
Whether 'tis Nobler in the thread to suffer
The trebuchets of outrageous Fortune,
Or to build castles in a Sea1 of caffeinesemencoffeebabies,
And by the 'bye', to, end them? To blitz, to coma
No more; and by a coma, to say we end
The blitz, and the 1003 newpix2
The OTT is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly3 to be squished. To blitz, to coma,
To coma, perchance to Stream4; Aye, there's the bag,
For in that coma of blitz, what newpix may be missed,
When we have shuffled off this Thread of Time,
Must give us pause.

A wildly belated shout out to BlitzGirl for "Both Sides Now":

And kudos to aeglaeca for awesome predictiosity: "La Petite floating in on a raft (maybe that she was dragging at the end of the fade)"

Welcome to many new folks who were inspired to delurk by the second coming of the end (or the second coming of Helper). May we meet in the future present.

1 Large, does what it wants
2 Somewhere about that, as of this newpage.
3 Like Pope Helper.
4 Small, and like a river, but scans better.

ETA P.S. How in the name of Helper does one explain to an Outsider what spawns a thread with 8.6*103 replies and 7.6*106 views?

3 Not a footnote, an exponent, silly.
6 Ibid.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:42 pm UTC

If the Sea is Big, and the Comet is Big, does that mean someone turned the Mediterranean Sea into a comet, sent it back in time into space to become 67P bringing with it it's whales?
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:52 pm UTC

The OTT is the greatest thing to happen on the internet in forever! Why would the mods want to step in and stop it from happening again? That's terrible!
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np1422

Postby mscha » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:00 pm UTC

FAIRONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:YOU CHEW BEESNAKES BY THE PUNSAW, YOU DIE BY THE PUNSAW

-- posted by randompixbot

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:09 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:The OTT is the greatest thing to happen on the internet in forever! Why would the mods want to step in and stop it from happening again? That's terrible!

Let me put it another way -

Why would we want OTT confined to one thread when we have an entire forum?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:12 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:15 pm UTC

Tatiana wrote:The OTT is the greatest thing to happen on the internet in forever! Why would the mods want to step in and stop it from happening again? That's terrible!

At the same time, I want it to happen again⁶ and try to find out how to bring that forward. Live is epsilonish.

⁶: At some beautiful and empty place where it doesn't annoy our mods.

SecondTalon wrote:Why would we want OTT confined to one thread when we have an entire forum?

Why not? It works – much better than most, if not all, forums I've seen so far.
“If it ain't broke, don't fix it.”

OTOH if there is a real problem with the OTT, I'd like to know about it.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Well....

What should have happened is that, when the various ... molpy..? language bits got added in, and the conversation started shifting more towards the phenomenon happening in the thread (and little personal conversations and so on cropping up) a mod should have stepped in with a "Hey, knock that off, just discuss the two people building the castle and maybe theorize where it's going and that's it" sort of thing.

Which would mean this thread wouldn't have turned out as it did and so on. So a Time 2 thread would, quite frankly, be watched hard.

I'm not entirely certain why "we didn't mod it strictly -> something great happened -> therefore we'd better mod it strictly next time" is the chain of thought here. Without this thread Time wouldn't have been Time. Do the mods not want the OTR to win another Hugo? :lol:

That, or we'd say "Fuck it" and make a Time Subforum and let you people figure it out from there.

Probably the way to go if having the thread in this forum is just too tempting to some mods to do something regrettable. I don't think suppressing discussion and interest in an XKCD work is in anyone's interest. It would hardly surprise me if we just had a single thread in the Time 2 subforum though....

Also you'd still need a thread here linking to the subforum so that those newcomers coming here to look for a thread about the comic were directed to the subforum and didn't just leave again without checking out the rest of the forum as is apparently the goal.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:31 pm UTC

Ooh, nerdsniped and BlueCrab and Marsh'n, too! Hi, xuys! Treeish ottification. Marsh'n!

SecondTalon wrote:What should have happened is that, when the various ... molpy..? language bits got added in, and the conversation started shifting more towards the phenomenon happening in the thread (and little personal conversations and so on cropping up) a mod should have stepped in with a "Hey, knock that off, just discuss the two people building the castle and maybe theorize where it's going and that's it" sort of thing.

I think you would have had to catch it waaaay before the molpies. Think as far back as hats and cardinals and papal elections. As far back as 2013 Mod Madness, which encouraged the creation of new OTTish terms.

Earthling on Mars wrote:
On the otherthread, BlitzGirl wrote:All is whale with the world.

Now BG, you don't think you're going to get away with that just because it wasn't on the OTT, do you?

I was coma-deprived! I didn't...oh wait, I did know what I was doing. Yeah, I deserve the saw. :)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:49 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Why would we want OTT confined to one thread when we have an entire forum?

Many of us are in fact participating in the rest of the forum these days. What I still don't understand is what exactly you have against our lingo and memes and culture and such.

And also why your avatar is a suicidal girl.

---------------

Hi to the many debasementees in the last few pages!

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:58 pm UTC

I can absolutely get why the mods wouldn't want a second OTT occuring. but... if the OTT talk stays here, but we have to talk about the new comic there...
the whole thing would probably die.

Regardless, I don't think we have to worry about another time sequel anytime soon, GLR is probably exhausted from today's Rosetta spinoff.

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:01 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Having quickly read a fair chunk of the Mod Madness 2014 discussion I get your perspective somewhat better now, but as a veteran of umpteen internet forums I also think that trying to force everyone to use the forum in the same way and be one big community is a mistake. If the OTT hadn't existed the members and activities here wouldn't have dispersed into other threads, they just wouldn't be here at all. Keeping all discussion of Time bottled up in one thread is far better than having people talk about in Serious Business and starting new threads all over the place and getting complaints and bans and all. You WANT the OTT confined to one thread. It's more work the other way, and less fun.

Once upon a time I was on a forum where 90% of my participation was in the Mafia-game subforums. They functioned fine for years (several mods were players, but very few forum mod issues ever arose) until a mod from another part of the forum got promoted to admin and decided he had to enforce the rules of the rest of the forum on Mafia games. One line posts = spam = warning! Double posts = spam = warning! People attacking each other as part of the game = flaming = warning or suspension! And worse. Part of his rationale was that many mafia players weren't interacting much with other parts of the forum (which was true enough) and that they were "protected" and needed to live by the same rules as everyone else instead and be "part of the forum". All it caused was upset people. And wars between mods and this admin (thanks to some mods playing mafia). And people leaving the forums. And lots more work for the mods and admins moderating all the impassioned shouting. I don't think that's a good thing.

In any event, there may never BE another Time. It was a great experiment, and there was some nice nostalgia with today's "Landing", but I've never got the impression that Randall is big on repeating himself except where raptors are concerned.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

edo

Postby edo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:13 pm UTC

Do you think this was an homage to M881? ("bye") The text size Space Rosetta is using here seems smaller than elsewhere...
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:18 pm UTC

Quite possibly. Image

ergman wrote:Regardless, I don't think we have to worry about another time sequel anytime soon, GLR is probably exhausted from today's Rosetta spinoff.

Yeah, that was one of my first thoughts when I saw we had another updating comic but it wasn't about Time. Now he'll be burnt out for at least another yip! :P
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

edo

Postby edo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:34 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote: Now he'll be burnt out for at least another yip! :P

There were only 142 frames. that only increases his burnout by 5% max (half a mip or so)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:36 pm UTC

edo wrote:Do you think this was an homage to M881? ("bye") The text size Space Rosetta is using here seems smaller than elsewhere...

likely, although It might just be something that's very munroe-esque in style.

Soup

Re: POOL'S CLOSED DUE TO OTCOLORISATION

Postby Soup » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:46 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Hi everymolpy! <snip>

Yay! And de-basements with an RNM! Have cake.
Couldn't decide which to offer, so I added 'em both.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
cake1.jpeg

cake2.jpeg

Really, lmjb1964, welcoming BlueCrab with not only a crabcake, but a "Blue" Crab Cake? Xe is, barring evidence to the contrary, a Blue Crab! You would have our tappity molpy a cannibal!

Also, Ketchupped in both OTT and Landing. Whew!Wait, better check. This took a while to type!

Wait, better check. This took a while to type! Yep, just one ergman post to ketch!
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:52 pm UTC

The OTT's posting rate went up to over 4 posts per nopix. It hasn't been that high since NP1925, six mips ago.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964

IT'S-A-ME, MINI-SHORTDO!

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:01 am UTC

Wow, posts from Marsh'n, tman2nd and Tatiana all in a row! And edo, it's been a while! Hi, everymolpy!

Just want to add that while I'd visited the fora pre-Time, it was the OTT that made me register, and that kept me here. Now that I'm here, I do sometime visit Otherthreads. The reason I don't do it more is not that I don't like the Otherthreads or want to contribute to them. It's just that I barely have time to keep up with the OTT, even now with its slower pace. But if I do contribute in Otherthreads, it is truly a direct result of the OTT. Sometimes, it's because someone here mentioned something in another thread that I wanted to check out, but other times it's just because I now feel comfortable contributing to a forum, something I never did before the OTT. I totally respect what the mods need to do to maintain the fora, but I think it's important to mention that other side of the coin--I'm in the forum because of the OTT. I'll leave it to all y'all to decide if that's a good thing. :D

ETA: @soup--well, the blue crab cake on the bottom isn't really a problem. I mean, you can get a cake for someone that has their picture on it, and it's not cannibalism. The other crab cake--I see your point. Hm. Well, it's imitation crab. I guess that doesn't help, does it. Imitation human cakes would not be an ok thing. Ok, then, it's an entirely different species of crab. That's ok, right?

ETA ETA
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:07 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

micdi

Postby micdi » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:05 am UTC

Actually I would love a Time2 with updates, say, twice a day?

EDIT: Also, welcome forward everymolpy! (even though I am technically far in the past myself)
EDIT2: It's quite similar for me as for lmjb, even though through Time I registered I then did visit some otherthreads, and I then left completely for an extended Time.
Again it was the OTT that made me come back at all.
Also, relevant quote from the Beginning of Time:
micdi wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:be there seriously hipsters cropping up for this an particular comic/needle-pulled thing? In the face of forumites whose innermost essence've been here for half an dozen years or more?

Yep, c an't promise i'll leave afterwards, though <just to try>

EDIT3: I only just realized how heretical that is :oops:
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:13 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The OTT's posting rate went up to over 4 posts per nopix. It hasn't been that high since NP1925, six mips ago.

I think it's probably due to the sudden decloaking of a bunch of formerly-active users: me, htom, Red Hal, Blue Crab, and a number of others who I can't name off the top of my head right now.

Regarding talk of a second Time-esque comic: It's not going to happen. Munroe does big things like Time occasionally, but every instance is big in a different way (e.g. Click and Drag, Time, that one wikipedia-hacking one, etc).
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:22 am UTC

Second Talon wrote:

Because the OTT could not happen in the entire forum.

I'm with Tatiana (and probably a good part of the OTT) here. The OTT is a Good Thing, almost a Magical Thing, and not something to be prevented. Back in the early days of the thread, we actually discussed splitting it up into topics, and came to the conclusion that it would not work. It would split the community, and would interfere with discussion (especially since so many things were unexpectedly related). That discussion is worth (re-)reading. The thing about the OTC is that it had to be experienced "in its own time". Simply flipping through all the frames of Time as if it were a flipbook just does not carry the impact that Waiting For It (and speculating during the wait, and discovering so many other things from so many other people that you might have missed had you not Waited) did. And I think Randall was going for that; he certainly had tried in the past to make a comic that couldn't be short-cut; with Time he succeeded.

That is why it won the Hugo. The story itself is nothing special; there are many like it. But the storytelling method brought in a new dimension, and that method spawned, relied on, and fed back on the needle-pulled thing we are discussing now. In its heyday, the OTT accounted for fully one third of all the posts in the entire forum. That's one thread, in one subforum. Talking about one comic. Whose conversation would have been most unwelcome elsewhere in the forum. Had discussion been split up, the thread would have become much less inviting and much more exclusively clinical. It would not have been "sustainable". But the OTT is, so much so that a scientific conference is being called in Germany to study it.

Your input as a mod would be greatly appreciated; even if you can't go to Germany, arrangements can be made to video yourself in. There's even real money in it - the conference pays 500 euros for a talk.

As to your preference that we expand to the rest of the forum, many of us do frequent other parts of the forum. But do you really want OTTish all over the place? :)

BlitzGirl wrote:...[you'd have to go as] far back as 2013 Mod Madness, which encouraged the creation of new OTTish terms.
Exactly. Mod madness itself goes against the things you claim you want to have [not] happen again! If we have a little OTT madness, that should also ride. One is confined in time, the other in space (called Time).

On another note, it's so treeish to see our basementees come out again! Welcome, one and all! So many Old Ones! And New Ones too! And neat otty tman2nd! There were some others, but I can't remember now and the thread is leaning towards Zancleanness again. Time and Space - a combination that gives one pause.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:29 am UTC

cari.j.elliot, htom, BlueCrab, so many to name that it's wowterful everymolpy!

SecondTalon wrote:That, or we'd say "Fuck it" and make a Time Subforum and let you people figure it out from there.
I read all you wrote...and it's fine, but redundant (it's been said before, I don't think we forgot). But this last part... also has sorta been said, but it's nice to hear. I don't think it would ever really be successful, though. I just like hearing the positive direction of that thought. :)

Posted too soon edit:
It's my 1500th post (sorta) and I almost posted in the ??? thread, but I'll post here first and you get to hear Asteroid? I never met her. (get it? it sounds like "ass" at the beginning....besides that I just mungled up my jokes...FOR SCIENCE!)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:10 am UTC

ucim wrote:...Your input as a mod would be greatly appreciated; even if you can't go to Germany, arrangements can be made to video yourself in. There's even real money in it - the conference pays 500 euros for a talk.

As to your preference that we expand to the rest of the forum, many of us do frequent other parts of the forum. But do you really want OTTish all over the place? :)e
Integrated OOTish? Sure. We already have otter/duck, Jacques needing to wear the makeup, everyone being Cheese and other such references that are fairly forum specific.

I can make all sorts of analogies (I like analogies) but the core of it boils down to - the Time thread breaks the rules. Specifically #5 (and probably #7 but I don't feel like digging up examples) of the General Rules, and, due to the incredible drift, Rule v. of the ITC rules.

All that's been hashed before - long before, and you'll note that despite everyone (more or less) being in complete agreement that yes, this thread breaks those rules... we're still not holding this thread to them. Mostly due to the participants of the thread not wanting it that way, and that is mostly due to the participants of the thread never having it any other way.

And - I just want to stress this again - despite the Mods not really monitoring the Time thread or participating or even following it closely enough to know who the frequent posters are, y'all are having a hell of a time in here and as it's the job of the Modstaff (among other things) to make sure everyone's enjoying themselves as best they can.... we've got no intention of changing anything in here.

What's done is done and it can't be undone. We'd much have preferred Molpish or Pope-ing to have joined the ranks of otter/duck or sould (anyone else here remember sould? no? Just me? .... okay.) or attacks of the LARGE TEXT BARON but that didn't happen and at this point it's not likely going to happen for... all sorts of reasons that have been hashed out and rehashed and rehashed and I'd rather not go into them again.

So.. yeah, if it looked like it was going to happen again, we'd break it up.

As is, this thread is the exception. Every other thread in ITC has to follow the rules. Every other thread in every other forum has to follow the general rules and, if applicable, it's subforum rules. Even the non-moderated FaiD has a rule it has to follow (that rule basically boils down to "Don't break US Law").

This thread doesn't. It should, but it doesn't, and we're not going to change that.

Because yes, something magic and special and unique and one-of-a-kind happened here. A bunch of people, some established, some not, got together and made something, together. And yes, The Mods regret that we didn't make the thread follow the rules like every other thread on the forum, we are also glad that we got to see something strange and new and wonderful happen, even if we didn't really understand what it was.

But it would never happen again.

Even if Time 2 started, even if there was something similar (as we're seeing now) that was only connected by the frame-by-frame format. Even if there was a new thread full of new people sharing their thoughts and ideas of what was going to happen....

You already exist. The OTTers exist. Most likely, anything in the Time 2 thread that started would be shaped by your hand. It wouldn't be a new, special, unique, once-in-a-website's-life experience, it'd be Time Jr - like it's older sibling. Different enough to be a new thing, but similar enough to be a bit of a rehash.

Because you, intentionally or not, would shape and mold it in the pattern you're already accustomed to. The tone, the style, the speed - you're already familiar with it, and doing it again would be putting on an old pair of comfortable slippers you've not worn in a bit.

Here, you were the first to rip apart roller skates, nail them onto a plank and ride on it around the town, occasionally making the "skating board" jump and twirl. Time 2 would be taking a board into a half-pipe and doing tricks no one had seen before, possibly, yes. I won't deny that. But it'd still be something we're familiar with. We may not know the exact notes and words, but we can already hum some of the melody.

Did I mention I like analogies?

Eternal Density

ROSE, RELEASE THE STEAMBOTTLES!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:21 am UTC

[edit: this was written before the post above was written. I've read it now. Lots of good points but what's rule v of the ITC rules? I'm not about to download the entire pdf from the International Trade Commission to find out.]
@SexyTalon
I posted plenty before Time, mostly in other comic threads, though not only. But when I found and caught up with this thread, I realised instinctively that it had everything I wanted out of a thread. (Well, a lot, and more has developed as we've shaped it over time.) Sure, I do still do post here and there outside, but it's not as fun.
Part of the cause is that there's not so much continuity between other threads. There's a few jokes and references that get passed along, and some posters who are fairly regular and are recognisable, but it's not enough to form a real sustainable community. Part of that is because of the nature of threads: once they drift down and off the page, they're pretty much forgotten, and no one really cares what happened in the past unless there's something particularly funny or interesting that several people remember. But it's rare that anyone would quote what happened in an older thread to explain the joke or reference to new people in current comics.

Hmm I think I'm just rambling now, not trying to make a point to anyone. But this line of thought is relevant to SCIENCE...

and ninja'd by wall of text which I'll read soon, I promise.

ETA
5. Try and keep off-topic posts controlled. If the thread you want to post in seems off-topic, post anyway. On-topic posts always take precedence over off-topic.
We did try.
7. Do not double post. Use the Edit Button.
I remember some discussion about that back when Time was still active so there were new comics coming out regularly that needed posting. So we were a bit lax about doubleposts for some specific purposes during that period. I think we do our best to avoid that now, and bots have been adjusted to avoid that kind of thing.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Soup

Postby Soup » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:27 am UTC

Thanks, SecondTalonRed. I, as I'm sure do many OTThers :wink: , very much appreciate those words.

Red Avoids forbidden font color so as not to mustard molpish vibes

ETA:
lmjb1964 wrote:@soup--well, the blue crab cake on the bottom isn't really a problem. I mean, you can get a cake for someone that has their picture on it, and it's not cannibalism. The other crab cake--I see your point. Hm. Well, it's imitation crab.

Oh, so it's a "krabcake," and the garnishes on the second one are rubber. I'm cool with that, especially since I'm almost certain I've gifted similar edibles before. :mrgreen: And there is such a thing as human-themed cakes... At least there are human appendage shaped cakes!
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

ergman

nice metaphors!

Postby ergman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:37 am UTC

you said hash a lot of times. And yeah, I think we're (both sides) fine with the current situation, just idly discussing what would happen if there was a time 2. I think it's likely that pretty much exactly what just happened with Space would be what happens, and I think I'm ok with that.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”