1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tman2nd

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tman2nd » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:38 am UTC

The OTC got a Hugo? Baobabs!
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

Eternal Density

THIS SPOILERCAKE IS NOW ABOUT MOUNTAINISH TIMEFRAMES

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:42 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:The OTC got a Hugo? Baobabs!
Yes. Can someone dig up the link to the video of Cory Doctorow accepting on GLR's behalf?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: ROSE, RELEASE THE STEAMBOTTLES!

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:44 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Part of the cause is that there's not so much continuity between other threads. There's a few jokes and references that get passed along, and some posters who are fairly regular and are recognisable, but it's not enough to form a real sustainable community. Part of that is because of the nature of threads: once they drift down and off the page, they're pretty much forgotten, and no one really cares what happened in the past unless there's something particularly funny or interesting that several people remember. But it's rare that anyone would quote what happened in an older thread to explain the joke or reference to new people in current comics.

I have to say that I disagree. You want to talk just High Culture? I'll agree. Gaming, Movies, etc. There's not a lot of connection between threads there, but there's also not much sharing of personal information. SB and N&A? There's some more personal stuff floated, usually as a way of generating authority for one's argument, but that's about it....

But General or FaiD? The creation of FaiD has nothing to do with it's current existence and it's now more like a looser General, and General is a pretty much free-for-all with some threads having comments not really fully understandable unless you read this other thread. FaiD does the same thing - I could liken it to the Daily Show or something, where if you aren't keeping up with chunks of the rest of the forum, large chunks of FaiD may not be interesting or make sense because you aren't invested.

And all sorts of personal crap gets floated in both. So people treating a person a certain way in one thread may not make complete sense unless you read this other thread and got some backstory.

But then, there's also completely self-contained stuff too.

All that said, I will agree that no, there isn't anything exactly like the Time Thread on the rest of the forum and yes, that does make this place special.

As for the bit about not explaining references to people here for the new comics... you're right, we wouldn't bother. Most people in ITC are, as Belial coined them, tumbleweeds. They roll in, say their piece, maybe reply a few times or, in some cases, spend dozens of posts defending a position...and are never see again.

They really aren't part of the xkcd forums, and we don't really treat them as such because of the transient nature. So.. yes, you're right, we wouldn't take the time to explain it.

But ask in the Fleeting And Random Thoughts thread (the FART thread! tee hee!) what's up with the Jacque wearing the makeup, and someone (read: probably me) would link you to the relevant thread and give you some backstory. Namely, Jacque needs to put the goddamn makeup on already.

He did, and there's photographs of it, but that doesn't change the fact that he needs to wear the makeup.

So yeah, that's also part of it - as a general rule, the rest of the Forum doesn't consider ITC part of the forum. Y'all are clearly part of the forum. You exist in ITC.

Y'all are just a bunch of damn paradoxes, is what you are.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Soup

Postby Soup » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:47 am UTC

2014 Hugo Awards wrote:BEST GRAPHIC STORY

“Time” by Randall Munroe (xkcd)

Pre-post Edit/ ninja'd tryng to fix m*starded link.
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:02 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Part of the cause is that there's not so much continuity between other threads. There's a few jokes and references that get passed along, and some posters who are fairly regular and are recognisable, but it's not enough to form a real sustainable community. Part of that is because of the nature of threads: once they drift down and off the page, they're pretty much forgotten, and no one really cares what happened in the past unless there's something particularly funny or interesting that several people remember. But it's rare that anyone would quote what happened in an older thread to explain the joke or reference to new people in current comics.

I have to say that I disagree. You want to talk just High Culture? I'll agree. Gaming, Movies, etc. There's not a lot of connection between threads there, but there's also not much sharing of personal information. SB and N&A? There's some more personal stuff floated, usually as a way of generating authority for one's argument, but that's about it...
I guess the parts of the forum that do have more continuity and personal stuff I just haven't connected with. Probably because as the amount of that kind of stuff increases, the relevance to xkcd decreases. The OTT is a weird exception at being an interpersonal community and being xkcd related.
SecondTalon wrote:So yeah, that's also part of it - as a general rule, the rest of the Forum doesn't consider ITC part of the forum. Y'all are clearly part of the forum. You exist in ITC.
ITC.. Individual Tomic Chreads? Surely you mean ICT.
Personally, since this is the xkcd forums I see the xkcd-comic stuff as the Real Forum and all the non-comic-thread stuff as weird extra fluff that's tacked on for people who don't have anything better to do between comics. Time fixed that by making the wait between comics shorter :P

I remember the same division from my time on the MegaTokyo forums many years ago (does that still update?), wherein the comic-related and non-comic-related sections of the forum largely saw each other as not the true forum and really didn't understand each other. It's probably true for a lot of ongoing webcomics' forum actually.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Soup

Re: THIS SPOILERCAKE IS NOW ABOUT MOUNTAINISH TIMEFRAMES

Postby Soup » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:09 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
tman2nd wrote:The OTC got a Hugo? Baobabs!
Yes. Can someone dig up the link to the video of Cory Doctorow accepting on GLR's behalf?

There's a page on the Wiki with a link, but it's blue-circling me to death.

ETA:
SecondTalon wrote:Y'all are just a bunch of damn paradoxes, is what you are.

Which is high praise around these parts!
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:14 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I remember the same division from my time on the MegaTokyo forums many years ago (does that still update?), wherein the comic-related and non-comic-related sections of the forum largely saw each other as not the true forum and really didn't understand each other. It's probably true for a lot of ongoing webcomics' forum actually.

I see a lot of this in bands' forums as well. You have the section for discussing the band where all the fangirls hang out, and then the off-topic section which is full of the regular/old members who have long since gone off the band (and can't stand the fangirls) but stick around for the community.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

htom

Another OTT?

Postby htom » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:14 am UTC

Wandering in the basement, eh? OK.

The OTC and OTT are unlikely to be repeated. I can see how they could be, a different cartoon series, a different artist, a different group of users, coming together to discuss what is happening. I have seen very similar things happen to some blogging communities.

This reminds me of James P. Carse's Finite and Infinite Games. Finite games are played within established rules, have decided victors, losers, ... players make moves within the bounds following the rules, the objective is to play the game to the conclusion and win (chess, football, courtship, religious practice, ....) Infinite games are played by players who make moves, including playing with the rules; the objective is to continue the game, if the end of the game approaches the rules are changed so that it continues. (It's been years since I reread that book, this is a very sketchy -- and probably incorrect -- use of the ideas therein.)

The OTC attracted people who are curious, complicated, patient, playful, tolerant, creative, ... a very limited self-selecting group. I would be very leery of trying to simply project our behavior onto "normals". There may be ideas that can be gleaned from study of either the needle-pulled thing or the participants that may be applicable to building sustainable on-line communities.

The first that comes to mind is that the OTC was a needle, pulling us along. There have been similar artists or writers who were the center of some other like groups. Not a thing, but an on-going process. There was a site a while ago that was putting up the entries in Samual Pepys diary as if he were a blogger posting every day; that group of commenters reminds me of the OTTers. John Scalzi's "Whatever" is like this group in some ways, but less tolerant and more conformist.

Maybe we're a forerunner of the wet-singularity, a self-organizing self-aware group-mind.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:33 am UTC

wait for it.

About being sheared by the mods: I thought we had already discussed that?

Earthlink on Marks wrote:And also why your avatar is a suicidal girl.

I came to enjoy it after the atrocious movie that was his previous one.
(Think SilentTimer's, but worse.)

TARS wrote:every instance is big in a different way

Yup, was going to point that out.

SexyTalon wrote:Specifically #5 (and probably #7 but I don't feel like digging up examples) of the General Rules, and, due to the incredible drift, Rule v. of the ITC rules.

You need a rule positing that rulesets use a single numbering system.

SexyTalon wrote:LARGE TEXT BARON

For a moment I thought that was important. As in, mod-important. Everything is important but some important things are more important than others.
[Later: Oh, wait. I get it. I get it!]

Clearly, you did not "get it"

- LTB

SexyTalon wrote:Here, you were the first to rip apart roller skates, nail them onto a plank and ride on it around the town, occasionally making the "skating board" jump and twirl. Time 2 would be taking a board into a half-pipe and doing tricks no one had seen before, possibly, yes.

I like this.

SexyTalon wrote:Did I mention I like analogies?

Like a filament of water persistently digging a rock, I think you made your point crystal clear:

Time to act has passed
here, at least, but not there.
We won't undo this.

SexyTalon wrote:Most people in ITC are, as Belial coined them, tumbleweeds. They roll in, say their piece, maybe reply a few times or, in some cases, spend dozens of posts defending a position...and are never see again.

(Note to self: possible research topic ― Beanie Ship, OSPACE.)

SexyTalon wrote:Y'all are just a bunch of damn paradoxes, is what you are.

Comes with insanity, I guess.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:20 am UTC

It's pretty strange that we've all settled in here with no yelling, fighting, scratching or bleeding (well, other than those sneaky Raptormolpies).

SecondTalon, your last hugeposts were awesome. Thanks for the words.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:25 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
wait for it.

Oh! B-beanie ship! Is this the time when all of Aluisio's cryptic statements become clear?
probably not, but I'll wait for it and see.

edit: I never said hi to val! hi to val! stick around and see what this is all aboONGt.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:32 am UTC

Thanks again for coming in and talking Mod to us, SecondTalon. It's nice for us to have y'all's perspective, and get a bit of OTTer/Mod interaction within the framework of our own community.

AluisioASG wrote:About being sheared by the mods: I thought we had already discussed that?

Well, you know what they1 say, if it's worth talking about once then OTTers will discuss it at least eleventy-seven Times.

Eternal Density wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:So yeah, that's also part of it - as a general rule, the rest of the Forum doesn't consider ITC part of the forum. Y'all are clearly part of the forum. You exist in ITC.
Personally, since this is the xkcd forums I see the xkcd-comic stuff as the Real Forum and all the non-comic-thread stuff as weird extra fluff that's tacked on for people who don't have anything better to do between comics.
I admit to having this perspective, too. :P Makes me wonder how these forums began. Perhaps originally a small community of people that connected over xkcd, that nowadays have many, many conversations that are not necessarily about xkcd at all? That possibility sounds familiar. If so, then perhaps 'twas the original forumites who invented the skateboard after all. And we're the bunch of folks who knew a little about skateboards, but got really into longboarding. Like, watch-one-darkening-pixel-change-per-hour-type longboarding.

Soup wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Y'all are just a bunch of damn paradoxes, is what you are.

Which is high praise around these parts!

We're Time paradoxes! :D

1I'm not sure who "they" are. Maybe the spacewhales from that otherthread. In which case, big.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

THESE AREN'T THE OTTERS YOU'RE BLITZING FOR

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:54 am UTC

Some OTTers are spacewhales...
Hmm this needs a Venn Diagram.
Relevant Automome is coincidental.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:07 am UTC

Second Talon wrote:I can make all sorts of analogies (I like analogies) but the core of it boils down to - the Time thread breaks the rules. Specifically #5 (and probably #7 but I don't feel like digging up examples) of the General Rules, and, due to the incredible drift, Rule v. of the ITC rules.
First, I'd like to say that I really appreciate the work that the mods do to keep this place molpish. A lot of it is thankless, and a lot of it is invisible. And it would be interesting to know how much (or how little) effect the mods had on this particular thread.
Spoiler:
e.g. I remember one rude post in the early days; it was ignored, and then disappeared. I wonder if a mod took it down, or the poster decided that he or she was being steambottle and thought better of it.
The rest of this is spoilered because it's a rule discussion, but posted here instead of elsewhere because it's RELEVANT (specifically to the OTT Sustainability conference, which is directly relevant to the OTT, whose very sustainability is due to something in the OTC, but nobody knows what.) Again, do consider contributing to the conference.
Spoiler:
Rule 5: Try and keep off-topic posts controlled. If the thread you want to post in seems off-topic, post anyway. On-topic posts always take precedence over off-topic.
Things to note in that rule: "Try", "post anyway". Things to note in the OTC: It was a puzzle, and nobody had any idea what topics might or might not be relevant. Geography? Botany? Astronomy? Celestial mechanics? Raptors? Language? I'm really having a hard time coming up with something that was not relevant in some way. It was the nature of the comic. And then, once the comic had shown itself to refer to all of these things, even personal discussions became (or were made) relevant. And pretty much all of the art and literature we created was relevant to the OTC. So no, I do not think that we broke rule 5 at all. We complied totally.

Rule 7: Do not double post. Use the Edit Button.
Yes, a few posters flouted this rule, but that is not the fault of the thread. Blitzers ran the risk of flouting this rule, but this was due to the nature of blitzing (which was important because of the nature of the OTC). And ONGs sometimes broke the rule because of the nature of the timestamp. I'd say this is a clear case of a warranted exception; consider the purpose of the rule and the purpose of the exception, rather than the mere existence of the rule. I don't think the mods should have any problem with the way we handled rule 7.

Rule v. of the ICT rules: If you come across something that doesn't belong in this forum, don't reply to it; report it. It's most likely it'll be dealt with in 24 hours
I can't think of any cases, with the exception that if a post's relevance was not immediately apparent, subsequent posts made it relevant in short order. C**kie Cl*cker comes to mind, and it led to some awesomeful ottifications.

Remember that the existence of rules is to promote community, not the other way around. I make a point of this because you say "... the core of it boils down to - the Time thread breaks the rules", which places the rules higher in importance than the reason they exist. This might be appropriate if the community were at risk of devolving into chaos, but that is most assuredly not happening. There had been quite a bit of discussion in the OTT itself as to how to best accomodate the rules given the special situation that the OTC and OTT created.

So I don't agree that the fact that the forum "breaks the rules" is the problem.

You say "...we've got no intention of changing anything in here.", and we hear you loud and clear. This makes us happy.

So I guess the puzzle in my mind is... why do you think it's a problem in the first place?
On Time vs Space
Spoiler:
The thing that made Star Wars great was not the special effects. Several SFX films came out after SW and failed, because they did not have the heart that SW had at the core of its story. Likewise (analogy time!), it is not the updating that made Time spawn the OTT; that's like the SFX of Star Wars. Rather, it was the puzzle that we had to figure out during the updating. That threw open all doors. With Space, it became clear what was happening pretty quickly, and there is no puzzle to solve. Therefore the range of relevant topics is rather limited. I don't think there was all that much danger of a second OTT there. But, at some point in the future, there may be a comic which spawns a thread of awesomefulness. It would be a different and unexpected kind of awesomefulness. That's how it works.

An actual OTT2 would probably split the OTT and end up fizzling, or join the OTT in some way. But whatever next magical thing that happens will happen for a different reason, will probably not involve OTTers but instead draw yet another group of people into the forums, and will spawn something totally unexpected.

I'm concerned that you think this should be squashed.

I'm concerned, not because I'm afraid the OTT will go away, but rather because I think that the things that cause magical communities to spring up and stay together should be encouraged, not crushed. That's the whole point of the Sustainability conference.
Second Talon wrote:Y'all are just a bunch of damn paradoxes, is what you are.
I like to think of us as "Holy Contradictions" :)

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:10 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

balthasar_s

bftf-0454

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:08 am UTC

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF EVERYMOLPY IN THE FUTURE UNBASEMENTED AS CLOSE TO EACH OTHER AS THEY COULD AND NINJA'D, EVERYONE POSTONG AT THE SAME INSTANT? -- automome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by bothasar_p

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:19 am UTC

SecondTalon, thanks for your words, and your analogies. :) It's nice having you come by and share with us, even if you did originally come in to yell at us :P (about posting ??? stuff here, I mean.)Jk

Oh, Individual Comic Threads. I'm a little slow.

As the Transcendental Imaginator of the Western Paradox Church, I approve of us being paradoxes.

Soup, I don't think the crabs are rubber. That would be steambottle. I'm thinking globs of buttercream. Mmm, buttercream...

ETA balthauthor, forgot to tell you that I like the phrase "cat ex machina" and plan to work it in conversations somehow.

Jk seriously, I know you were doing exactly what a moderator does. You know, moderating.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:44 am UTC

bothasar_p wrote:WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF EVERYMOLPY IN THE FUTURE UNBASEMENTED AS CLOSE TO EACH OTHER AS THEY COULD AND NINJA'D, EVERYONE POSTONG AT THE SAME INSTANT? -- automome

I think that just happened, actually.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:54 am UTC

About the moving of Time to a separate subforum: wouldn't that crash or temporarily disable the forum? Due to the nature of PHPBB?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:56 am UTC

AASG wrote:Image
That's really pretty. I don't recall seeing that before.

Eternal Density wrote:Personally, since this is the xkcd forums I see the xkcd-comic stuff as the Real Forum and all the non-comic-thread stuff as weird extra fluff that's tacked on for people who don't have anything better to do between comics.
I agree fully. Sometimes it sounds like the mods are saying the other threads are where everyone should be, even though this is the "xkcd" forum...and we should be in the comics threads. What we talk about shouldn't necessarily be limited to exactly what the comic says. There's subtext and tangentials, too. I think other threads are good, but sometimes it's hard to really get into a discussion because of the extreme segregation (of topics). I love this thread in comparison to other threads where I don't feel very comfortable going in the direction things naturally go (even though they will usually come back around full circle thereby proving it was all legitimate discussion).

Ugh, I will be happy when we're done with this topic again. Sorry for not helping (but I did try to keep it short in my first reply). *sigh*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np2317

Postby mscha » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:00 am UTC

PHARONGEAL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:HIDING FROM CORINNE IS SO LAST NEWPIX

-- posted by randompixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:02 am UTC

Oh pixbot, I missed you during the posting of the Othercomic frames. I felt rather heretical for using an Otherviewer to review them, too.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

MY WIPEND IS FULL OF OTTSCARS

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:05 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
bothasar_p wrote:WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF EVERYMOLPY IN THE FUTURE UNBASEMENTED AS CLOSE TO EACH OTHER AS THEY COULD AND NINJA'D, EVERYONE POSTONG AT THE SAME INSTANT? -- automome

I think that just happened, actually.

Yes. Yes it did. It's hard to believe that was randomly generated. But RNGs seem to like me. Music on 'shuffle' plays the song I guess it will play more often that I think it ought.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:21 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:About the moving of Time to a separate subforum: wouldn't that crash or temporarily disable the forum? Due to the nature of PHPBB?

Yes.

It would.

BlitzGirl wrote:I admit to having this perspective, too. :P Makes me wonder how these forums began. Perhaps originally a small community of people that connected over xkcd, that nowadays have many, many conversations that are not necessarily about xkcd at all? That possibility sounds familiar. If so, then perhaps 'twas the original forumites who invented the skateboard after all. And we're the bunch of folks who knew a little about skateboards, but got really into longboarding. Like, watch-one-darkening-pixel-change-per-hour-type longboarding.
not sure, wasn't here. Most of the subfora existed when I got here. Even then, there was a sense of "Yeah, here's this neat comic that drew us together...but now what? .... Wanna talk movies? Let's do it in this thread!". And that eventually became the Movie forum. Your Art And Links was from a bunch of people wanting to share their art and writing. N&A was started for new, ongoing things to separate it from SB's per-existing things. And so on. Subforums began as there was seen a need. Have a thread for logic puzzles, you're going to get X. Have a subforum for it, you'll get unexpectedness.

Near as I can tell, the rest of the forum has a general attitude of "yeah, there's a comic, I guess. I read it sometimes, maybe once a week. I'm here for the LGBTQIAA thread, mostly. That, and NSP:Soups I Smelled."

... There is no soups I smelled thread in FaiD....yet. But you get the idea. People are here for the community. The comic has become incidental.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:32 am UTC

ucim wrote:Remember that the existence of rules is to promote community, not the other way around. I make a point of this because you say "... the core of it boils down to - the Time thread breaks the rules", which places the rules higher in importance than the reason they exist.
Unspoilered for truth.
Spoilered further discussion:
Spoiler:
I'm aware that rule-breaking/bending is a problem for a moderator. It makes it difficult for others to feel like they need to follow the rules perfectly if others aren't. While that is a difficult concept, I think it's okay. The same concept exists with "grandfathered" things, things that exist in spite of rules saying they shouldn't. Thank you for grandfathering us in. We appreciate it and will continue to try to avoid coming close to abusing it. (Case in point is our attempt to still avoid double posts AMAP.)

SecondTalon wrote:People are here for the community. The comic has become incidental.
Sadly so. I came here, based on the comic, but then mostly did everything but comic discussion. I eventually left, though. It was not that encouraging of a place, at least for me. I came back for Time and mostly did other comics, and have stayed. So, that's just me, and some OTThers. But you see, it doesn't matter if that's the stated truth for you, it's not the truth for everyone. I hope to not be treated like an Outsider due to not conforming to your ideal scenario for fora participation.

Funny raptorcat discussion in the balthaONGs. :mrgreen:

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eternal Density

I AM _MOLPIEST WEIRDNESS_, THE MOLPIEST WEIRDNESS EVER!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:03 am UTC

I don't think the comic will become incidental to us.
I also guess there's no place for me in LGBTQIAA.

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:06 am UTC

ucim wrote:...Your input as a mod would be greatly appreciated; even if you can't go to Germany, arrangements can be made to video yourself in. There's even real money in it - the conference pays 500 euros for a talk.

Exactly. As the one who is organising the conference, I herewith confirm that you, SecondTalon, are very welcome at the conference.

Since the conference is essentially about “How to further the creation of more OTTs”, your speech, paper and/or poster about “Why we should avoid the creation of more OTTs” is highly on-topic. I really would like to understand that.

About rules (spoilered because many will percieve this as off-topic):
Spoiler:
SecondTalon wrote:I can make all sorts of analogies (I like analogies) but the core of it boils down to - the Time thread breaks the rules. Specifically #5 (and probably #7 but I don't feel like digging up examples) of the General Rules, and, due to the incredible drift, Rule v. of the ITC rules.

As others have pointed out,
  • one can discuss whether the OTT really broke these rules, and
  • every rule serve a purpose which should have precedence over the rule itself.
I can add my own experience from some forums where important things (planning of political action) were discussed. The discussions were extremely successful and productive until the mods (who participated themselves) decided that they must be split into multiple threads. The discussions died immediately, the new threads were dead, and the purpose of the forum was not reached.

Concerning Time 2, I don't think that GLR will write a sequel to Time. But that's okay, since we already have one. Image For me, t1i is Time 2.
Spoiler:
And BFTF is Time 2 + i. ;)
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

AluisioASG

That's what {} understanding the OTT {}

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:42 am UTC

azule wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:People are here for the community. The comic has become incidental.

it doesn't matter if that's the stated truth for you, it's not the truth for everyone.

Look at us.

I feel ST's not “we should avoid the creation of more OTTs” but rather “there's already a community here, and we'd rather have people join it than make their own bubble”.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Eternal Density

Re: That's what {} understanding the OTT {}

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:09 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
azule wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:People are here for the community. The comic has become incidental.

it doesn't matter if that's the stated truth for you, it's not the truth for everyone.

Look at us.

I feel ST's not “we should avoid the creation of more OTTs” but rather “there's already a community here, and we'd rather have people join it than make their own bubble”.
I think you're right and I think that's reasonable.
Well, we'd like to make more OTTs, just not as subsets of the xkcd fora, but elsewhere.

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:37 am UTC

O M G!
I didnt even know I missed you guys until just now :o
I MISSED YOU GUYS1!

You guys kept this going for more then 2 years! amazing! There is even a MEET in EUROPE2?

To say it in Tumblr-speak: I can't even.

WHO WANTS SOME CROISSANT3S?

How does one become a Knight Tempolar Temporal again?4

1 I REALLY REALLY DID!
2 Should I go? It feels a bit weird :p
3I DO! I WANT SOME CROISSANTS! WHO ELSE?
4I had to abolish the sand masons after Dan Brown wrote a novelized docu-comic about our organisation, revealing ALL of our secrets!5 He's such a douche.
5ALL OF THEM! Even the ones about the salamanders :(
Last edited by manvandmaan on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:25 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:43 am UTC

Welcome back manvandemaan, the other OTTer from the moon!
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:03 pm UTC

So, can someone summon up the 1500 NewPages I've missed?

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:13 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:How does one become a Knight Tempolar again?4

It's simple: prove that you can travel in time. There are a few possible ways.
manvandmaan wrote:So, can someone summon up the 1500 NewPages I've missed?

I have summoned them.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Dracomax

Re: That's what {} understanding the OTT {}

Postby Dracomax » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:17 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
azule wrote:

Look at us.

I completely understand this thinking. I just think it is wrong. At least in the case of TIME, if the bubble hadn't happened, I would not be on the forum at all. I suspect that is true for at least a few other people here.

It isn't that I don't like your forums and community. It's that it doesn't interest me that much in general. That probably isn't the best way to say it, but it is true. I'd poked around in the forums before, but never registered, in part because the rules feel restrictive rather than helpful in places, in -part because it doesn't really move fast enough to keep my attention, and in part because there was nothing to really grab me.

To be fair, not even the OTT keeps my attention for long stretches. I am interested in many things, and have limited time and attention. But The OTT got me to register with some jokes and a bit of mystery, and kept me with a community I just don't see on the rest of the Forums. or many Fora outside of XKCD either. the mix of irreverence, off-topic, and on topic-ness, and the people who were drawn to it were what drew me in, and it is what keeps me coming back. And when I do come back, I tend to look in other subfora to see if there is anything interesting. But it isn't because I think "I wonder what is happening on the Fora at XKCD." That was never going to happen. I've been in fora before, and haven't visited them for years. I keep coming back to OTT, even after months away, because of the weird, wonderful, and completely different community. I come back because I find myself saying, "I wonder if the OTT is still going, and what they are doing now."

IF the rules had been enforced the way you expect, That would not have happened. it would not keep happening. I'd, at best, be one of those people you don't pay much attention to because "they won't be around long." And that would be a loss to me, at least. I'd like to think that it would be a loss to the forums, but I am aware enough to realize it probably wouldn't. I get the argument that "you all would have been a part of the larger forums, and brought your distinctiveness and diversity to them, rather than holing up here." I just think it's a false assumption. So the idea that it was anything other than something that should have happened, even if not something we want to repeat, continues to baffle me.

Neil_Boekend wrote:

I have summoned them.

No, Knights Temporal have to prove time travel. I think Knights tempolar just have to be cold. or prove the world rotates around them.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:31 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:

BlitzRandir is my witness! I sent messages to my past (her present) to encourage her, way back when she was BlitzGirling (or ketchupping?) the OTT

I have summoned them.[/quote]

Thank you, now that they have been summoned, could someone summarize them?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:40 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

BlitzRandir is my witness! I sent messages to my past (her present) to encourage her, way back when she was BlitzGirling (or ketchupping?) the OTT

In that case I will leave the knighting to her. When she has recovered from her Landing induced lack of coma, that is. And if she wants to.
manvandmaan wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

I have summoned them.

Thank you, now that they have been summoned, could someone summarize them?

The are molpish, although there was some mustard. There were some songs, many OTTifications and many molpy up's and downs.
There will be an OTTER conference in Bochum (de) on 13 feb 2015 organised by Sustainibilizer. There is talk about going to Phantasia land somewhere around then because that is really close (spatially).

he/him/his

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:50 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:2 Should I go? It feels a bit weird :p

I think you should. Or contribute at least. The perspective of those who left may be the most useful.

Regarding some of the other recent discussion, I don't think you can set out to create a community like the OTT. What you might be able to do, is steer a community a little bit, maybe avoid some potholes, maybe provide some support. And hope. Just like if two couples are friends, they may want their kids to be friends, but that isn't something that can be forced. And even before that, couple friends are hugely valuable and rare. If you and your SO have a couple that you are friends with, really friends. Not you like him but hate her, or any of the possible variations of that... Treasure that. Nurture that. And, if your kids can become friends, that's that much more of a treasure, but do not let the kids ruin a good thing.

And this. Treasure this. We all are a community, and though it isn't always said: appreciated when here, missed when not.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Postby manvandmaan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:52 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:2 Should I go? It feels a bit weird :p

I think you should. Or contribute at least. The perspective of those who left may be the most useful.

Well, at the very least I shall try to contribute. Maybe write down some of my experiences of this strange and wonderful ride :)
SInce it's a three hour drive on a working day, since I sort of left in the middle of the thing and since I'm a very shy socially-awkward person I probably won't make it in real person. (Also, I presume everybody will expect me to bring croissants and I don't really know ho to make those :o) Though I'm very curious about who all those strange people are ;)
So write me down as a "probably not, but in a weird twist of fate, who knows!". But I'll definitely try to help in another way. Are there any specific topics you guys are interested in, that I might be able to provide?

SBN wrote:Regarding some of the other recent discussion, I don't think you can set out to create a community like the OTT. What you might be able to do, is steer a community a little bit, maybe avoid some potholes, maybe provide some support. And hope. Just like if two couples are friends, they may want their kids to be friends, but that isn't something that can be forced. And even before that, couple friends are hugely valuable and rare. If you and your SO have a couple that you are friends with, really friends. Not you like him but hate her, or any of the possible variations of that... Treasure that. Nurture that. And, if your kids can become friends, that's that much more of a treasure, but do not let the kids ruin a good thing.

And this. Treasure this. We all are a community, and though it isn't always said: appreciated when here, missed when not.

Beautifully said! I wish I stuck around a bit longer, but indeed, I never forgot about you guys, peaked now and then and missed you, more then i realised myself!

THE RIVER IS SMALL!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:16 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:THE RIVER IS SMALL!

THE SEA IS BIG!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:20 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:I had to abolish the sand masons after...
That's what you want us to believe, isn't it?

Dracomax wrote:No, Knights Temporal have to prove time travel. I think Knights tempolar just have to be cold. or prove the world rotates around them.
You sure that's not the Knights Tempura?

manvandmaan wrote:Thank you, now that they have been summoned, could someone summarize them?
Spoiler:
molpy molpy molpy molpy
molpy molpy molpy molpy
molpy molpy molpy molpy
grapevine, grapevine!
manvandmaan wrote:O M G!
I didnt even know I missed you guys until just now :o
I MISSED YOU GUYS1!
This is a sentiment that we see quite often - it's why we have a basement. Welcome back!

SBN wrote:THE SEA IS BIG!
... and does what it wants!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:38 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:THE RIVER IS SMALL!

THE SEA IS BIG!

THE COMET IS FAR AWAY!
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”