1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

manvandmaan
The Period Guy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby manvandmaan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:46 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
SBN wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:THE RIVER IS SMALL!

THE SEA IS BIG!

THE COMET IS FAR AWAY!

BUT PHILAE IS ON IT!
Congratz BlitzGirl BlitzRandir!
Godspeed to all the OTT travelers! I am one of you now!

- Former (Never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons (which off course never existed)
- The Croissant Man (or Period Guy, whatevs)

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:52 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Dracomax wrote:No, Knights Temporal have to prove time travel. I think Knights tempolar just have to be cold. or prove the world rotates around them.
You sure that's not the Knights Tempura?

Jose

I'm pretty Sure that Knights Tempura cook tasty fried dishes.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0455

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:00 pm UTC

I FIND YOUR LACK OF OTTIFICATIONS DISTURBONG -- automome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by lmjbot

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

'Cause I, I can feel a hurricane coming

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:12 pm UTC

I wrote:Oh, and I don't think I got the job.

I've never been so happy in being wrong. And following azule's advice, I'm not thanking any of you in particular.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:31 pm UTC

As usual, after some days of complete silence (but not months, I seem to be improving)

ergman wrote:wonderful, Tresoldi! keep up the good work. You should see if you can attend the conference!

I'd love it, but I won't be able... at least AFK. But I'll do whatever I can to attend it via Skype, IRC or whatever. Is there going to be a panel on Beanish? Can I submit a paper? Would my professor want me to do it? :P

But, for the sake of updating the list:

1e-5 :( tresoldi: would love to come, won't be able, but could hold a speech on Beanish remotely

BlitzGirl wrote:If I recall correctly, tresoldi has a potential phonetic system that can be applied to Beanish symbols, making them pronounceable.

It was a suggestion on how to pronounce it, thinking about a possible spoken debate on Beanish... which might just happen! But, alas, is a creative work: there is not a single evidence that my suggestions are valid. At least, it should be easy to pronounce for most people, and certainly more fluent that "the 3-like glyph".
Last edited by tresoldi on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My blog on Beanish: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

HES

Yay Aluisio!

Postby HES » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:33 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:SInce it's a three hour drive on a working day

You're only a three hours ? That's less than a SilentONG! C'monnn, people are coming all the way from Amolpyca!
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 'Cause I, I can feel a hurricane coming

Postby SBN » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:50 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I've never been so happy in being wrong.

Congratulations!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:52 pm UTC

Thanks to everyone who said Hi! It's nice to be back, even if briefly -- too much Outside as always (if I don't RUN I'll be inundated); I'll be back down in the basement soon. But I'm glad to see the OTT continuing on, and very glad to hear about the meet! (Thanks to micdi for PM'ing an invitation!) I won't be able to come, but it makes me happy to know it will happen.

Poking around, I see I've missed some major events, such as the OTTscars (still haven't found the results yet) and the SilentONGs?!? (managed to mostly avoid spoilers, and have bookmarked for later viewing). As long as I'm here, I have to ask: did any rhyme or reason ever emerge from the pattern of epilogue frames? I can't imagine there was actually a message encoded there, but it always struck me as odd that it was neither a simple loop nor simply random.

Finally, my two cents on the sustainability of the OTT: I wonder if 80% of it might not be pretty straightforward. The OTC brought a group of people together fairly intensely for a sustained period. Friendships naturally emerged from that. Group of mutual friends == key ingredient of a sustainable community. At least, that's my perspective, viewing from over here in the non-sustainable seats.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

ergman

Re: The boxer or the weather?

Postby ergman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:38 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

I've never been so happy in being wrong. And following azule's advice, I'm not thanking any of you in particular.

happy that! And happy 2000 posts!
Image This has probably been used up thread. I can't imagine there are many 2000 cakes out there.

and hi nerdsniped! You've got some good reads ahead of you.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:43 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
wait for it.

Neat!
*waits for it*
And double congrats!
Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:WHO WANTS SOME CROISSANT3S?
3I DO! I WANT SOME CROISSANTS! WHO ELSE?

Hi manvandmaan! Yes please! :)

Neil_Boekend wrote:There will be an OTTER conference in Bochum (de) on 13 feb 2015 organised by Sustainibilizer. There is talk about going to Phantasia land somewhere around then because that is really close (spatially).

I don't want to mustard y'all's?! travel plans, but Phantasialand will only open for its summer season on March 28.

?: Is that the rightni grammatical form?
!: Last wipend, I met for the first time someone who indeed used "y'all". :shock:
ni: ni ni...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:52 pm UTC

Y'all makes perfect sense to me, as a way of distinguishing you(a single, not me person) from you(a bunch of not me persons). All Y'all would, logically, refer to all not me people.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:01 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Y'all makes perfect sense to me, as a way of distinguishing you(a single, not me person) from you(a bunch of not me persons). All Y'all would, logically, refer to all not me people.

All y'all is a bunch of bunches of not me persons. (The largest of which is indeed all the not me people.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:03 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Y'all makes perfect sense to me, as a way of distinguishing you(a single, not me person) from you(a bunch of not me persons). All Y'all would, logically, refer to all not me people.

Well, in certain areas 1 "y'all" can also be used as a singular "you". "All y'all" is almostO always plural, though.

oneand others as well
0Absolutes are almostzero never right, hence my fondness for the word "almost"o
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:50 pm UTC

Hey, manvandmaan. Glad to see you again, here. :) BTW, how do you pronounce your name?

Aluisio wrote:I've never been so happy in being wrong. And following azule's advice, I'm not thanking any of you in particular.
I don't remember giving advice. I think you mean "ramblings". But, congrats (again?)!

ZoomanSP wrote:I met for the first time someone who indeed used "y'all"
Hah. I actually say "you" in real life but it's otterly confusing. I heard someone say "shut the front door" (a euphemism) on their phone in real life. I was flabbergasted (note: I never say this word either).

Spoilered because argh why ugh blargh:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:I'd, at best, be one of those people you don't pay much attention to because "they won't be around long." And that would be a loss to me, at least. I'd like to think that it would be a loss to the forums
When the other ST said that, I steamed a little. It feels quite dismissive of people that I'm pretty sure have said that they are around but just don't post until prompted to by GLR. What if, instead of dismissing them, we encouraged them to join and stay? We'd have more Dracomaxes (Dracomax's? Dracomaxi? (I just realized your name has the word "coma" in the middle AND your avatar is comaing!)). Actually, this would have been me, too, except that the comic never stopped (until later)! I didn't intend to post, didn't want to get sucked back in, and didn't really want to do it at these "wonderful foras". Yes, that's a backhanded compliment. You can chalk it up to different styles/cultures. So don't worry that the rest of the fora is bad, other ST, but it just doesn't always jive like a nice welcoming community should. Like the nice welcoming community of the OTT does. *phew* If we don't talk about this I can't rant. Someone stop this. :P

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

This popped up on the outside interweb lands.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:10 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:This popped up on the outside interweb lands.

Vitssågen! Seems like a strange use for the punsaw, but I'll allow itmake like a tree.
Nice to see that the OTC continues to spread outside the forumsplural, as was fortold by prophecy. And the mods thought they had us contained here...

and leaf!I don't dislike trees in general, but there are some in my backyard that really bother meja!, and if I had the time and tools, I'd punsaw them out myself...
I like jaI swear they move things when I'm sleeping
2forii?
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

AarexTiaokhiao

BFTF-0456

Postby AarexTiaokhiao » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:23 pm UTC

WAITONG FOR NEXT FRAME

I QUIT

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

SACRIFICE THE COMAS!

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:41 pm UTC

manvandmaan wrote:1 I REALLY REALLY DID!
2 Should I go? It feels a bit weird :p
3I DO! I WANT SOME CROISSANTS! WHO ELSE?
4I had to abolish the sand masons after Dan Brown wrote a novelized docu-comic about our organisation, revealing ALL of our secrets!5 He's such a douche.
5ALL OF THEM! Even the ones about the salamanders :(

1 WE MISSED YOU TOO!
2Definitely. OK, I just saw that you're a 3-hour drive away from the conference, so there's NO EXCUSE for you not to go. I'm hoping to come all the way from California! And social awkwardness=not an excuse. There was an earlier discussion about this, but we'll all be friends there so just suck it up. :twisted:
3Me! Me!
4The bastard!
5No, not the salamanders!
I don't think you lose your knight temporalness, do you? So, if you were one, you should still be one. But at any rate, you just popped into the future from the past. Sounds like Time travel to me.

Ok, I keep seeing this to add to this. If nothing else, check out SilentTimer's Ti1 sequel to time, and Balthasar's ongoing bftf. And other Time sequels if you missed those. I think they're all on the wiki. *waves vaguely in the direction of the wiki*

AluisioASG wrote:

Congratulations, my dear Lu, that is so molpish! And congrats on 2K!!! Have some cake with 2000 candles. And Jesus. ???

Spoiler:
Just to be different, I looked up 2K cake. You get very strange things when you google 2K cake, most that are not cake. But I did see this:
:shock: Don't want to know the circumstances that led to that...

HES wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:SInce it's a three hour drive on a working day

You're only a three hours ? That's less than a SilentONG! C'monnn, people are coming all the way from Amolpyca!

What HES said.

ZoomanSP wrote:[I don't want to mustard y'all's?! travel plans, but Phantasialand will only open for its summer season on March 28.

ch*rp

BlitzGirl is taking it to the streets. We should have know the OTT couldn't contain the punsaw.

AarexTiaokhiao wrote:WAITONG FOR NEXT FRAME

Yes, kxa, and I suppose we can forgive you for your previously heretical comment about not waiting for it anymore, since it was no doubt due to the stress of seeing Cuegan being attacked. You know, by cattus ex machina.1

1 is how many times I've gotten to use this phrase so far.

RSIR:
Spoiler:
jesuscake.jpg
jesuscake.jpg (87.99 KiB) Viewed 10135 times

wtfcake.jpeg
wtfcake.jpeg (6.7 KiB) Viewed 10135 times

edited because I said "cake" three times in 2 sentences. It sounded funny. cake cake cake. No longer a real word.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:48 pm UTC

I thought it needs a lot more repeatings for the word to lose its meaning.

I had some times where I stopped reading Time for some days and then I came back to it.

I'm glad that the OTT hasn't been replaced with a bear.

I have some more sustainability-related thoughts but not today. Tomorrow or on Saturday.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np1125

Postby mscha » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:00 pm UTC

STRONGMAN...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:BECOME AN PANTHER SALVE

-- posted by randompixbot

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:04 pm UTC

Marsh'n blitzing to you from NP488/2160

Wherein we have seen: the invention of mustard (that gray poupon the newpix), the welcoming back of HAL9000 and Opiboble, the wondering about cmyk and Helper's inverse appearance ratio.

And Angelastic brings us more of our own unsuspected haiku:
Spoiler:
Here are just a few selected favorites, with links back to their originators.

Pretty soon people
are going to start selling
butter left and right.
-- lmjb1964

The dialogue tells
us what we should be seeing
but aren't allowed.
-- Azule

If my past is on
a server somewhere I don't
have access to it.
-- SBN

Could all of Time have
been a prologue to something
greater than itself?
-- BlitzGirl (inside highlighted spoiler)

Perhaps we are meant
to realize that It has
been here all along.
-- Rule110

And to everyone
here on this thread, this has been
a great adventure.
-- Roia (with apologies for a slight edit to reflect my own feelings)

And special thank-yous to some folks remembering me in sigcouragement:
Spoiler:
Vytron's signature wrote:
vytron_sig_201411.png

Earthling on Mars's signature wrote:
earthling_on_mars_sig_201411.png

Eternal Density

I'M IN UR DOOM BANANA, MEMEIFYING UR AWEFULSOMENESS

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:09 pm UTC

I think we're all socially awkward (everyone in the world is, some just hide it well), and some of us are going to be socially awkward together in the same place.

Also I really want a CROISSANT now.
Also welcome forward, everymolpy!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

micdi

Postby micdi » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:25 pm UTC

I want a croissant too!

also I found this:
http://i.imgur.com/2SwUHW5.png

it's... dark I guess, but highly RELATED !

EDIT: list of replies I got by pm:
Marsh'n - very interested, but uncertain
DrSamCarter - realistically won't be able to come, thinking of some sort of contribution
htom - won't be able to come
addams - I... don't really know? (highly poetic)
Purplepants77 - won't be able to come
superluminal - unlikely but maybe
ttscp - can't come, maybe riverish contribution
higgs-boson - wants to come, checking
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

The ketchup sea.

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:31 pm UTC

Okay, I think I have sufficiently recovered from my spacewhale-induced coma.
Congratulations on the job, Aluisio!
Please do come to the conference if you can, manvandmaan. The more the molpier!
Ooh, and I'd love a croissant. :D It's awesomeful to have you back, Croissant Man!

tresoldi wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:If I recall correctly, tresoldi has a potential phonetic system that can be applied to Beanish symbols, making them pronounceable.

It was a suggestion on how to pronounce it, thinking about a possible spoken debate on Beanish... which might just happen! But, alas, is a creative work: there is not a single evidence that my suggestions are valid. At least, it should be easy to pronounce for most people, and certainly more fluent that "the 3-like glyph".

Yeah. So, for example, if the voice-over project ever decides to tackle Beanish, we do have a way to say the words. Perhaps not the "correct" way, but it isn't really possible to us to figure out the "correct" way to pronounce Beanish at the moment.

Febrion wrote:

Vitssågen! Seems like a strange use for the punsaw, but I'll allow itmake like a tree.

Actually, the punsaw's origin is that it was created to deal specifically with tree-RELATED puns. Around when the Neat Tree first appeared in the OTC, tree puns began appearing (I'm afraid I contributed to the problem myself). I started posting axe smileys to chop down the tree puns, and moved on to chainsaw smileys when the axe smileys ran out. That is where the punsaw was born.

So the use of it here seems quite fitting. How peculiar to see a fellow punsawyer out in the wilds of the internet.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:How does one become a Knight Tempolar again?4

It's simple: prove that you can travel in time. There are a few possible ways.

BlitzRandir is my witness! I sent messages to my past (her present) to encourage her, way back when she was BlitzGirling (or ketchupping?) the OTT

In that case I will leave the knighting to her. When she has recovered from her Landing induced lack of coma, that is. And if she wants to.

Sure, I'll do a knighting ceremony! :) In my next post, which won't be full of ketchup like this one.

ucim wrote:
manvandmaan wrote:Thank you, now that they have been summoned, could someone summarize them?
Spoiler:
molpy molpy molpy molpy
molpy molpy molpy molpy
molpy molpy molpy molpy
grapevine, grapevine!

I think that pretty much covers it.

Marsh'n wrote:And Angelastic brings us more of our own unsuspected haiku:

Could all of Time have
been a prologue to something
greater than itself?
-- BlitzGirl (inside highlighted spoiler)

Baobabs. Even more relevant now after Time has **ded.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:36 pm UTC

azule wrote:Spoilered because argh why ugh blargh:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:I'd, at best, be one of those people you don't pay much attention to because "they won't be around long." And that would be a loss to me, at least. I'd like to think that it would be a loss to the forums
When the other ST said that, I steamed a little. It feels quite dismissive of people that I'm pretty sure have said that they are around but just don't post until prompted to by GLR. What if, instead of dismissing them, we encouraged them to join and stay? We'd have more Dracomaxes (Dracomax's? Dracomaxi? (I just realized your name has the word "coma" in the middle AND your avatar is comaing!)). Actually, this would have been me, too, except that the comic never stopped (until later)! I didn't intend to post, didn't want to get sucked back in, and didn't really want to do it at these "wonderful foras". Yes, that's a backhanded compliment. You can chalk it up to different styles/cultures. So don't worry that the rest of the fora is bad, other ST, but it just doesn't always jive like a nice welcoming community should. Like the nice welcoming community of the OTT does. *phew* If we don't talk about this I can't rant. Someone stop this. :P

Spoiler:
It's been hashed and rehashed and re-rehashed so many times at this point, but... I guess the general consensus of the rest of the Modstaff is, if you're going to join a forum for the community, it's because you've been reading it for a period of time (be it hours or days or months or years even) and want to contribute something and, due to your reading over the stuff and deciding you want to join in, have a handle on how the forum does things.

Now, this isn't to say that new people don't make missteps. Or old people. I probably screwed up fifteen things in the last week. But a lot of it is a willingness to learn from mistakes.

It also helps that a lot of the forum is around the same age - a few years ago it was early 20s, and now it's mid 20s. I'm still nowhere near that, but the point being that the average forum-member is late or post-college and getting in to the world on their own.

So when a 16 year old kid pops up with the same annoying crap the rest of us did at 16 (and I'm so, so thankful it wasn't on the internet) we do tend to smack it down a bit. Because that's annoying. That said, a poor first impression doesn't mean much. Internetmeme and Tomdilich both followed similar paths of kinda grating on people by starting out very Penguin of Doom and then leveling out into actual interesting folks.

Or when some world-weary 40something shows up expecting everyone to bow to their superior experience... we also don't do that either. There's people here in their mid 20s who have lived more than most people in their 60s, and we've got a fair number of posters above 50 too.

In short - the expectation is that if you're here, it's because you enjoy the community and want to participate, not that you're here to reshape it. Some people mesh really well. Some people don't mesh and leave. Some people... frankly, I'm not entirely certain why they stick around, but they do and that's okay too. Different opinions and viewpoints, even ones the general forumite disagrees with, are good as unquestioned and untested opinions are worthless. So despite not ever agreeing with anything they say, ever, I still like that they're here.

But the forum is very liberal, left-leaning, socially aware, however you want to describe it. Some people open with a hilarious sexist or racist joke, and get their asses chewed out for it. Some people learn, some people don't. I guess the best way to describe it is - no one really cares if you screw up because everyone is going to screw up at some point, given a long enough timeline. The point is how you handle yourself when informed of how it is you've screwed up.

But... man, where was I even going with this... oh, right... back to the point....

Yes, everyone was brought here by the comic. Yes, it's rare to find someone who doesn't have a post or two in their first five somewhere in ICT. Heck, when I joined, part of the rules at the time was that you post in the Intro thread in General. I posted in there.. as my fifth post. After being instructed by a mod to do so. And (admittedly jokingly) complaining about having to do it.

But I'd been reading the forum for at least a couple of weeks before that.

A trend I've noted in people who tend to stick around is that whether or not they first post in ICT, they've been following stuff for at least a little. The people who are either tumbleweeds or screw up so badly as to get banned (see also: YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO FIRST AMEMDMENT BITCHES" people) rarely seem to have been following the forum for very long.

It is one of those things where I do see completely where you are coming from as to not seeing the rest of the forum as being as inviting as this thread. I get that. I see General as being less friendly and inviting than FaiD, and FaiD's less friendly and inviting than the Mod Forum where we talk about everyone, all the time, non-stop. [yes, kidding] due to the scale of membership. So I get completely why here would be more friendly and inviting. There's also less chance of finding out Uncomfortable Things about your fellow posters. I'm fairly certain you've not had an Abortion Debate in here, for example. Or a gun control one. Or gun ownership even. Some people are uncomfortable by the idea of private gun ownership, and some people are uncomfortable by the idea of being so terrified of guns as to be terrified of gun owners in theory. All sorts of ways to find out the person you were meshing with so well disagrees with you on what you consider fundamental ideas, and someone who didn't seem to be meshing well actually shares your opinions on a number of topics and so on. Or, as I hinted around earlier, the feeling of respect for another poster as their arguments and opinions are fact-based, well researched and often able to be backed up with citations... even though the arguments and opinions are polar opposites of yours.

And.. I want to stress this - I'm not trying to say the Rest of The Forum is superior to OTT, or even that segments of the Fora are better. But it is a different experience, and one that I think leads to a more complete connection to other posters as well-rounded, three dimensional entities with their own thoughts, goals, etc and not just names on a page.

In some respects, we could do things to encourage more posting from people who are not currently doing so. On the other hand, while it is a public club, it's also a public club with certain basic ideas and notions and if a person can't at least respect those notions and ideas...we kinda don't want them posting here. I'd rather not have to deal with a forum experience that occasionally drops a "Make me a sandwich" joke at the expense of female posters. I'd rather not have a forum that occasionally has someone making a racist comment and it going completely unchallenged by the community until a mod notes it and clears it up. I rather enjoy having a membership that feels a certain sense of ownership and does what it can to keep the forum shaped how they like it shaped via reporting posts that just feel "off" without the post actually breaking any rules.

I'm not going to lie and say I don't find it strange that a subcommunity broke out in a single thread. I do find that a little odd. There are subcommunities in the various subforums, but those are built off hundreds of posts and dozens of dozens of topics. Even some going so far as to have posts with multiple links pointing to other threads for relevant information. That what's essentially a copy of General broke out in here and then made it's own rules is strange to me. But.. again, not like anyone's going to stop it.

I also am not going to lie and say I understand why the rest of the forum is seen as unwelcoming. Sure, if you're talking about the few incidents where an OTTer left the thread and posted elsewhere in the language they'd grown accustomed to, only to be met with a communal "What the hell was that?" then.. yeah, that was unwelcoming. At the same time, the OTTer was also being pretty self-absorbed to expect people who hadn't even noticed the Time Thread taking off to comprehend what they were saying. We'd have had a similar reaction if someone had been posting entirely in Klinglish (Klingon-English) due to the incomprehensibility of it. Outside of that, though... and I think I've mentioned this before and I don't recall being pointed to examples [so if I was, please remind me]... I myself am not seeing it, but I also acknowledge that I'm coming from a completely different position and viewpoint, so it is completely possible that I am missing it as, again, most of the posters here I know, I know their style, I know their jokes and so on, so what was meant as a joke and taken as a joke by 90% of the readers as they recognized it as a joke .... could be taken as an insult if read from a different perspective and I simply missed it. Hence the whole "I need you to tell me what makes you feel uncomfortable about the rest of the forum" thing.

But I think we've also gone through that, and the biggest thing I've pulled from it is that it's
A) Not This Thread and Not These People [Not a lot anyone can do about that],
B) Not As Friendly [which... as I said, I can't see myself and don't recall specific examples being pointed out],
C) Not As Accepting [see B] and
D) Stigma as being seen as an OTTer [which is something I cannot control nor tell you how much of it is actual and how much of it is perceived only by you, which doesn't make it any less valid of a feeling, mind you]

But yeah, historically, the general flow of user is to Start in ICT, post, and vanish, or Start in ICT, post, start posting in the rest of the forum, stop paying as much attention to ICT, OR skip ICT entirely. There's always people who buck that trend, but as that's been the common thread, and as a fair number of the tumbleweeds post "Get out of my head, I was just thinking of that" posts, the "I believe Randal forgot to take X into account" posts, or "Here's a relevant thing I'm advertising or mentioning or something something links everywhere!" .... I'm not really sure there's much we could do to keep them around, nor do I get the feeling they particularly want to stay. They said their piece, they're done.

... so yeah, I think I've now repeated everything the Modstaff's said about this thread since it got rolling...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

micdi

Postby micdi » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:45 pm UTC

Hm.
Spoiler:
I don't think I have any problem with how the rest of the forum is.
It's just that being active (feeling a part of, maybe) in two for_ is too much for me but 1 forum plus this thread seems just fine.
So nothing against the rest, but even though this thread is big, it's still small in a way and I like that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:51 pm UTC

Nothin' wrong with that.

... as an aside, I still wonder what happened to riverssong. Gave'em an awesome title, promptly vanished. Shame.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Eternal Density

I WEAR A YIP NOW. YIPS ARE COOL.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:14 am UTC

Yay, I was right it's ICT not ITC... or did I hallucinate seeing ITC?

So... who wants to add spacewhales to strategic parts of the OTC? I think that's the next step.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

micdi

Postby micdi » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:15 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Nothin' wrong with that.

... as an aside, I still wonder what happened to riverssong. Gave'em an awesome title, promptly vanished. Shame.

Oh, I think I remember that one, something with gallstones?
I'll shoot them a pm, since they should be invited to the OTTer meet anyway.

EDIT: dang, I just realized that some of the Old Ones might not know the term "OTT"... since when was that used?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: I WEAR A YIP NOW. YIPS ARE COOL.

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:19 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Yay, I was right it's ICT not ITC... or did I hallucinate seeing ITC?

So... who wants to add spacewhales to strategic parts of the OTC? I think that's the next step.

I type gud. Gud type. Lettre in wrong space sometime. R U Gud 2?

(Seriously, I mess that up all the time)

BlitzGirl

ENAP: 1 so far

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:42 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote: There are subcommunities in the various subforums, but those are built off hundreds of posts and dozens of dozens of topics.

It strikes me that the OTT did this too, but in a linear fashion instead of being dispersed among various threads.

micdi wrote:EDIT: dang, I just realized that some of the Old Ones might not know the term "OTT"... since when was that used?

*researches*
Hmm. OTT as an abbreviation wasn't around for the first couple of hundred pages at least. (I can't search the mrobdex for "ott" because every single newpage is labelled with "OTT", and "otter" is a common noun. So this was all done via threadsearch.) The phrase "One True Thread" was possibly coined by macraw83 on NP65, shortly after the first appearance of "One True Comic" by BJ Nemeth on NP64. Original phrase was actually "One True Picture" by keithl on NP63.

"OTC" as an abbreviation didn't appear until partingLance used it on NP253. Thread search suggests "OTT" the abbreviation has been around only since the NP300s (first used by Valarya). It seems macraw83 may have coined "OTTer" as well in a blitzpost on the infamous NP666. So OldTimers who left before the NP300s probably do not know what "OTT" means, and certainly not what "OTTer" means. They may recognize "One True Comic" and "One True Thread" though.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:05 am UTC

micdi wrote:Hm.
Spoiler:
I don't think I have any problem with how the rest of the forum is.
It's just that being active (feeling a part of, maybe) in two for_ is too much for me but 1 forum plus this thread seems just fine.
So nothing against the rest, but even though this thread is big, it's still small in a way and I like that.

What xe said. And I know that in some instances, the negative experiences that OTTers had in other threads weren't even a result of not feeling welcome or discriminated against just because they were OTTers. There were just flame wars, or at least flame skirmishes, breaking out, and people were starting to be unpleasant towards each others, and the OTTers gratefully came back to the OTT, where quenching flames is a point of pride. And it's done in a kinder, gentler way. No one says, "Spew flame and you're outta here!" (Not that we could actually do that, since we're not mods) of "You're a total douche for saying that!" When problems have started, and there have been instances of bad feelings, angry words, etc., other OTTers have stepped in with calming words, or poems, or songs, to smooth ruffled feathers. And I think the fact that we had so much TIme together to get to know each other made that possible. We had started to care about each other. And we have shared things about ourselves to varying degrees. But it's true that we haven't had discussions about abortion or gun control, and no doubt if we did, things would get heated. Maybe that's part of why this thread has been sustainable. I hate arguing politics. The fact that this thread is almost entirely apolitical (unless you're discussing Zanclean flood control, or hostilities betwen Cueganites and the hill people) is a relief to me. We can share things with others on the thread without those Outside hostilities encroaching. Just a thought. And I think I've moved into rambling. Awesome. What was I talking about?

Anyway, Second/xyTalon, that long post you just posted was amazing, and I really appreciate you taking the time to share all of that with us. It's really cool hearing the perspective of someone who has the bigger picture.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:02 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Hmm. OTT as an abbreviation wasn't around for the first couple of hundred pages at least.
Spoiler:
The phrase "One True Thread" was possibly coined by macraw83 on NP65, shortly after the first appearance of "One True Comic" by BJ Nemeth on NP64. Original phrase was actually "One True Picture" by keithl on NP63.

"OTC" as an abbreviation didn't appear until partingLance used it on NP253. Thread search suggests "OTT" the abbreviation has been around only since the NP300s (first used by Valarya). It seems macraw83 may have coined "OTTer" as well in a blitzpost on the infamous NP666. So OldTimers who left before the NP300s probably do not know what "OTT" means, and certainly not what "OTTer" means. They may recognize "One True Comic" and "One True Thread" though.
Steakish research. I love how it shows the importance of members that are gone or basemented.

Spoiler for safjdajl;sdjal;k:
Spoiler:
I also am not going to lie and say I understand why the rest of the forum is seen as unwelcoming.
Well, maybe you missed it, but I said it felt that way before Time and OTTers existed. It's, probably like I said, a style conflict. I'll give you some examples, none of which are OTTer-discrimination related. Just being new to the fora I wanted to participate in the threads and to voice my opinion. I read all the rules, I tried to have "something new to contribute", et al. So, while I was able to speak, and things went the way they went (not bad), I still got this vibe that I better figure out how to be like them (the establishment). They were niceish but it's super stressful to have to be someone else in order to join a group. I'd love to be myself, if you don't mind. ;) I just faded out.

So, I came back, posted to the Time thread. There wasn't time to reconfigure myself as the needle pulled thing (probably first time I've used that phrase) moved so fast that all you really had to go with was yourself. I joked, I was irrational, I pontificated wildly. I wasn't held back because the rule said "that might have been said, so don't you be redundant". The OTT rule was "redundancy is molpish". My whole life is probably redundant, every word I say has been said. I'd rather feel okay that it's been done because so has what you xuys are doing (and yet that's okay...).

I don't think this discussion was meant to get anything changed. To understand us better maybe? That sounds good. I don't know how to get more people to stay (who want to stay) but just based on my experience, it wouldn't be through being pressured to conform to the established group. I feel like you're saying that every group that isn't like the fora should probably set up their own forum and have at it. Then, sadly, that forum would become exclusive too and tell others to set up their own forum as well. Lots of forums, why not, but also why not be more open and inviting to others' styles. I'm of course not saying trolls should have free reign, but even as you noted, those same people (trolls) might begin to act better. I'm not in favor of people being outright jerks to each other, just in favor of giving people a chance. They may act that way because of fear. Fear of new people, fear of abiding by rules, etc.

There's also less chance of finding out Uncomfortable Things about your fellow posters.
Maybe less chance, but not no chance. I have found out things. Names, beliefs, faces. hah. I don't see the relevancy, though. If, non-controversially, someone only really wants to post ONGs while another just poems, why should it bother me? I recall someone chiding another for not adding some text to go with their ONG. It's one of the ICT rules, so it wasn't a problem, but I didn't have a problem with them only posting the image. If they never engaged in conversation with me on the thread I'd still consider them part of my group. Just as others whom have divergent beliefs from myself doesn't exclude us from being friendly and helpful to each other. The person who becomes your SO maybe not hold every belief that you do, does that spell the end to that relationship? That's up to you.

That's all I got. Eyes melting. Must get back to coding. Must progress!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ChronosDragon

Grabbing random tibits from sddsfjgasdfgaldsfg

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:21 am UTC

azule wrote:That's all I got. Eyes melting. Must get back to coding. Must progress!

If only I could go back to coding. All I've got these days is essays left to write and stories and poems and all these words that are designed for wetware consumption.

December will be nice.

I like the cold.

lmjb1964

HOW IS SEAISHNESS FORMED? HOW CURLY GET BUFFYHATTED?

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:25 am UTC

Thanks, azule, and thanks for reminding me to thank BlitzGirl for the steakish research!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:38 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:But it's true that we haven't had discussions about abortion or gun control, and no doubt if we did, things would get heated. Maybe that's part of why this thread has been sustainable. I hate arguing politics. The fact that this thread is almost entirely apolitical (unless you're discussing Zanclean flood control, or hostilities betwen Cueganites and the hill people) is a relief to me. We can share things with others on the thread without those Outside hostilities encroaching. Just a thought. And I think I've moved into rambling. Awesome. What was I talking about?

Indeed. It's noteworthy that the main things we argue about are trivia like the Legoses debate or the Africa/Madagascar/Cassini debate (at least, before m2895).
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl

The Knighting of manvandemaan

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:28 am UTC

And now, before I forget and post again on a different topic, I have a knighting to do. Image

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, manvandmaan, née man van de maan, former (never was) Grand Mason of the now abolished SandMasons, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of the first splitting of the OTC into periods, earliest haiku posted to the needle-pulled thing, and generous gifting of croissants to all. Arise, and continue Waiting for it!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:35 am UTC

The river is small! Image
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

lmjb1964

bftf-0457

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:00 am UTC

I CH*RPONG LOVE RAPTORS -- automome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by lmjbot

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:23 am UTC

The sea is big.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”