1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:28 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:After more than 2166 newpages, scientists also discover that otters are a chatty bunch.

YESSS!!!! Someone finally cited my article! (No. 81, if you're curious.)
Thanks for posting that, Zooman. Made my dip.

OMR, that's actually you! In the SCIENCE notes! Image Neat!

For decree:
azule, NP944 wrote:I'd like to be the keeper of the thong, and yet maybe not. lol.

ETA: Whoops, I momed myself.

Optional decree: continue last newpage's decree!
Find interesting or funny quotes in the OTT that make no sense out of context.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:45 am UTC

I think that quote of mine makes out of context sense, so... fail!

Cool, lmjb! More info? You're a dancer and an otter expert? Thanks (for sick recover thing).

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:09 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:For decree:
cmyk, NP437 wrote:I could digress into a nerd-spiral, a technicolor abomination not even hippies on LSD would find pleasant. Okay, maybe they would, god bless 'em.

A nerd spiral, is that anything like a transgressive lesbian geek spiral?
lmjb1964 wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:After more than 2166 newpages, scientists also discover that otters are a chatty bunch.

Thanks for posting that, Zooman. Made my dip.

That's so super treeish that that article got linked to in the OTT (presumably) without Zooman even knowing an OTTer was cited in it! Go June Bug, you won science!

I didn't even set out to do so, but that's two Orphan Black references I've made in this post. Anyone else watch that show? Y'all should. It's awesomeful.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

balthasar_s

bftf-0478

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:31 am UTC

COLPICES DON'GT BLINDPOST ON LOOPISTS. -- automome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by bothasar_p

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:56 am UTC

Mornin' all. Sorry for being in the basement for a bit - there was a big queue for the exit! Still, the water lift that Karhell installed proved pretty molpish. I got knocked down there due to an astral conjunction of circumstances1 leaving me many pages in the past. Ketchup has taken me the best part of 5 dips! Fortunately, ketchup is surprisingly simple to paddle through!

It was treeish to see all those debasementees. I wonder what the cause was? My guess is a combination of Landing and the OTTer conference. Sadly, I didn't see mocha in the queue to get up.

Molpish to see t1i revisited! I wonder what percentage of the frames have something hidden in them? Will there be a sequel afterwards, maybe?

Anywho, my bus us almost at my stop. Wait well all!

1Comprising of anew almost week long visit by the Old Man and being sucked in by a Philae-caused portal.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:13 am UTC

A reply to a famous quote:
fixer wrote:You, my dear sir, madame or neuter, have been sigged but good. :D

Second contribution:
squonk wrote:Hitler.

Just getting it out of the way...

Did I do that right?

HES

Postby HES » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:37 pm UTC

Someone must have fixed the stairs.
He/Him/His Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:27 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:

Awesomeful! But you're too humble: According to Web of Science, your article has been cited 22 times, and that list doesn't even includ this newest citation yet. I have to confess I downloaded your article almost a yip ago, but I still haven't read it. :oops:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
yappobiscuits wrote:That's so super treeish that that article got linked to in the OTT (presumably) without Zooman even knowing an OTTer was cited in it!
I didn't know it, but I should have thought of it... :roll:

For decree:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yes, Wikipedia says they live in rainforests, but if you check the citation for that sentence, it directs to a book published in 1987.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:41 pm UTC

Exkakx wrote:What an interesting comic. This is probably the most simplistic xkcd yet...

I went back to the first page to look for quotes for the decree, and find this little gem :D I then went sprinting through the first few pages, and was thoroughly amused by everything that the Old Ones were saying (btw has anyone noticed the javascript?).

For decree:

azule wrote:A BHG Deus Ex Machina seems unlikely as it would be perceived as a cop-out. I think we're limited to the two there and to the environment. Maybe raptors.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

NoMouse

_DELURK HARD 2: DELURK HARDER_

Postby NoMouse » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:45 pm UTC

I don't understand what the latest What If is doingq. Is it referencing to something or is it just random universe(s) and randomly fabricated quotes straight from GLR's head? Anyway there's no question answered, so good thing I still have half of the (one true?) book to read. :)

For decree from a random NP:
Opiboble wrote:Only a hint? I think it is at it's saturation level of babies.

qI would even use this quote: I can't tell if Randall is trying to be deep, or just trying to take a day off work.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:46 pm UTC

Seems the Balthabot is running into some ICANN mustard. The domain name needs to be reconfirmed, and the images are being held hostage.

Shall we send in the spacewhales?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:59 pm UTC

*a wild Minim appears, riding a space whale*

For the decree:
lmjb1964 wrote:Darn, I'm not Pope either. Damn you, Hal9000!
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

Not only my botcastle but the whole dnsd.info domain ran into this mustard.
Use the redundant http://1190-botm.dnsdynamic.com.
Also it would be good to temporarily remap moonbase.chirpingmustard.com from 1190.bicyclesonthemoon.dnsd.info to tihis until they fix it. (But please don't post the frames using that redundant domain because it's a redundant one and might be dropped in the future.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:33 pm UTC

Ack, moonmustard! Image

For decree, an oldie:
Bastor, NP4 wrote:Please don't be sad or scary...please please please don't bite his leg off. xD
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AarexTiaokhiao

Postby AarexTiaokhiao » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:20 pm UTC

REPAIRONG AT A9
I QUIT

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

HELLO, I'M THE 2ND SCRIBE. BASICALLY, MOLPY UP!

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:29 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

Awesomeful! But you're too humble: According to Web of Science, your article has been cited 22 times, and that list doesn't even include this newest citation yet. I have to confess I downloaded your article almost a yip ago, but I still haven't read it. :oops:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Really? Baobabs. I checked, oh, yips ago, and no one had cited it. Maybe it's becoming a hot topic, and I should get back into <sciencey stuff>.

azule, yes, in a past life I was a scientist. Came out to California to get my MS in marine science. After that I sorta looked for a job in the field, but to do what I wanted to do (study behavior of what my friends call furry macrofauna), you have to be a lot more aggressive about the job search than I was. I need to figure out some way to combine science and music.

For decree, I guess it's not ambiguous out of context, but I still like it:
KarMann wrote:I'm now imagining Cueball as a Dalek. "Cren-ell-ate! CREN-ELL-ATE!!!"

Also from KarMann's sig (can't remember who actually said it):
Well, BlitzGirl is experiencing a bit of a title wave.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

"THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!" I SCREAMED AS SPIKE CH*RPED

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:07 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:ED, I finally looked into what this Desert Bus thing was all about. I'd never heard of the game. The clips I've seen are pretty funny, and the Bussin' Desert Style parody was awesomeful. And, hats.
I only discovered it a couple of mips ago myself, fortunately in time to see this yip's event.
Sadly it's **ded now, though in the best way possible, as is tradition. I think I kept chatting in the Twitch chat for half a nopix after it went offline. As is tradition (that's one of the chat memes, as is tradition).
yappobiscuits wrote:I didn't even set out to do so, but that's two Orphan Black references I've made in this post. Anyone else watch that show? Y'all should. It's awesomeful.
Yes.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:For the decree:

The best part of that post is that it's currently at the top of a page.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

WITH TIMEODIES LIKE THESE, WHO NEEDS MOLPIES?

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:48 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
TheMinim wrote:For the decree:

The best part of that post is that it's currently at the top of a page.

hahaha. So ironic. I guess I'l have to un-damn you then, HAL.

It's so nice seeing your avatar on a regular basis again!

ETA What the ch*rp do you mean, AutoMome? We ALWAYS need molpies!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:05 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
azule wrote:A BHG Deus Ex Machina seems unlikely as it would be perceived as a cop-out. I think we're limited to the two there and to the environment. Maybe raptors.
Heh, another me. Don't y'all know that I'm tempted to reply to all of mine (might want to just avoid them ;) )? So, not a BHG but a LaPetite Deus Ex Machina did happen, according to some. (I think it was more that they were including her in the ending than that she short-circuited the end. Proof is that the other half of the Forty have created their raft without LaPetite intervention. It's also possible that Megan's plan could have been just as effective.) Darn that I was a bit wrong about it being just the two of them.

lmjb1964 wrote:azule, yes, in a past life I was a scientist. <snip/> furry macrofauna <snip/> I need to figure out some way to combine science and music.
Neato. So it's just the <computery stuff> that is beyond you, but not <sciency stuff>? :) Love that phrase. Combining science and music sounds neat. It hasn't already happened? Probably "the science of music". *brain wants to read about this*

Lost replies:
So the answer to the question of sustainability always lied with the otters?

Aluisio wrote:For the record: the Mixel sell dates post by AarexTiaokhiao got obliviated.
So there is a mod in heaven! So what's the deal, is your post previous to that supposed to be pope? Did it shift after we reached the NP? (Continued talk, especially about lmjbot, concludes that it was that previous post.)

balthaspam ( :P ) saved the "missing post" for posterity (not talking about the mirror). Besides that, there was all that discussion. I guess I'm not editing out my "ignore" comment (it didn't get ignored :P ). Talking about the mirror, what happens with deleted posts, balthabackup? Does it get overwritten when the bots get back to that part of the thread?

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: WITH TIMEODIES LIKE THESE, WHO NEEDS MOLPIES?

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:]It's so nice seeing your avatar on a regular basis again!]

Thanks! :D It's really good to be back.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:30 pm UTC

Or a BlitzRocket. That would be a more rational explanation.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

lmjb1964

I WILL NOT POST THIS CHUPAMOLPY -- IT IS TEMPORALITY

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:57 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:Or a BlitzRocket. That would be a more rational explanation.

Yes it would! But what it is an explanation for?

Just to be clear, <computery stuff> is not "beyond me." *pouts* I mean, I'm actually pretty good at <computery stuff> to an extent. Took some programming classes and did really well, not afraid to poke around my computer. I'm just rusty, OK? I haven't done much computery stuff for a while. And for a lot of people at work, just general users, I can usually figure <computery stuff> out. *pouts some more*

Hmph.

ETA, OK, I know I'm really good at breaking the forum, but that's pretty much only when I'm too lazy to use Preview.

And, ok, I know I have the quoting mustard that happens on my WTA (Work Time Accessor). Now I have to try to look into why that's happening, don't I? *grumbles*
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np956

Postby mscha » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:00 am UTC

WRONGBOLT...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:BAOBABISH BAOBABBIES ARE SUPERIOR

-- posted by randompixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:10 am UTC

A treat2 to cheer up lmjb:
Spoiler:
For decree:
StratPlayer wrote:First I was a Timewaiter, then had a battle with the Meno-pause (and was saved from my heresy by buffygirl), then tried to start an enlightement ("what if there's a universal law of pixelization?"), then was absolved by buffygirl, then helped start the Knights Temporal which, while Timewaiters, were not part of any formal sect (see the wiki) and even made buffygirl pout, then had a fling with Eastern mysticism by offering the "Tao of It", and then tried AGAIn to start an age of enlightenment, then was absolved by buffygirl again (and she even made my avatar a GORGEOUS hat), so, um, I'm still a Knight Temporal, and I still Wait for It, and uh, yeah... I guess I'm in-communicated...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

ChronosDragon

**D THE BAGS... WITH YOUR ZANCLEAN FLOOD

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:25 am UTC

Just want to let everyone know the Newpix-O-Meter will be down for a couple hours while I transfer my site to an OpenShift cartridge. Signature has been temporarily altered, while maintenance is performed.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:32 am UTC

ChronosDragon's temporary sig wrote:Our systems seem to be indicating that the universe doesn't exist. We'll see if we can get that fixed. In the meantime, would you like to try one of the other planes of existence?

Only if one of the planes offered is a private jet.

*awaits the punsaw*
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:43 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ChronosDragon's temporary sig wrote:Our systems seem to be indicating that the universe doesn't exist. We'll see if we can get that fixed. In the meantime, would you like to try one of the other planes of existence?

*awaits the punsaw*

Pun? I assure you, the dimension composed entirely of the interior of a private jet is no joke. Our clients paid a lot of money for its fabrication.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:44 am UTC

Oh, well I'd like to try that one, then.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:55 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, well I'd like to try that one, then.

Your luxury jet universe will be boarding in: approximately 3 millenia.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:01 am UTC

Is there any way I can catch an earlier flight? I don't think I have enough Time to stick around for 3 millenia.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Is there any way I can catch an earlier flight? I don't think I have enough Time to stick around for 3 millenia.

We're sorry, unfortunately the jet universe encountered some unexpected turbulence and had to be time-shifted around it. Please excuse the existential inconvenience.

In the meantime, please enjoy our collection of absurdist animated gifs.

azule
Saved

Re: I WILL NOT POST THIS CHUPAMOLPY -- IT IS TEMPORALITY

Postby azule » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:13 am UTC

Hey, Zooman, thanks for giving her that cupcake. Plus, I sorta was able to see that wired.com article and can now appreciate your OdeTiTy. :) (I still wonder what it all means.)

lmjb1964 wrote:Just to be clear, <computery stuff> is not "beyond me." *pouts* I mean, I'm actually pretty good at <computery stuff> to an extent.
Uh, sorry. I should stop comparing. *leaves you an apology cookie*

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:17 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:We're sorry, unfortunately the jet universe encountered some unexpected turbulence and had to be time-shifted around it. Please excuse the existential inconvenience.
In the meantime, please enjoy our collection of absurdist animated gifs.
Spoiler:

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be watching the gif equivalent of hold music for the next few thousand yips?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:29 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:*awaits the punsaw*

Are you sure?
Spoiler:
Have this instead:
Spoiler:
For decree:
k.bookbinder wrote:It is plain to me that in this instance, either plane or plain would suffice for the purpose of this rather plain pun, as a plane is often resemblance of a plain, especially when smoothly planed with a very fine planer.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:06 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

*awaits the punsaw*

Who are you, and what have you done with BlitzGirl???

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

lmjb1964

bftf-0480

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:00 am UTC

I'M GOONG TO BLUENHANCE MY NINJA, AND BY 'BLUENHANCE' I MEAN 'BLITZNAP', AND BY 'MY NINJA' I MEAN 'TIME AFTER TIME'. -- automome
Spoiler:
-- posted by lmjbot

ChronosDragon

Re: bftf-0480

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:16 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I'M GOONG TO BLUENHANCE MY NINJA, AND BY 'BLUENHANCE' I MEAN 'BLITZNAP', AND BY 'MY NINJA' I MEAN 'TIME AFTER TIME'. -- automome
Spoiler:
-- posted by lmjbot

Blitznap sounds really good right now.

Site is about half migrated. I got the newpix-o-meter on a subdirectory of the new site. I'd like to get it back on a subdomain (clock.chronoscreations.net) but that will require some more advanced routing logic which I don't feel like doing tonight. (Also I haven't updated the DNS to point to the openshift site, so it's on an rhcloud.com site right now).

Last edited by ChronosDragon on Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0032

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:00 am UTC

THEY'RE TAKUNG THE MOLPIES TO CASSINI-MADAGASCAR! -- automome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the molpy?
Spoiler:
lmjb1964 noticed it first.
ggh identified it together with the location of t1i.
-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

BlitzGirl

The errors, they burn! Ack!

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:40 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Who are you, and what have you done with BlitzGirl???

wat do u mean im ttly bitzgirl lol
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”