1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0044

Postby SilentTimer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:00 am UTC

I'M GOUNG TO GOAT MY OTTSCARS, AND BY 'GOAT' I MEAN 'THWAP', AND BY 'MY OTTSCARS' I MEAN 'ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ'. -- automome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the molpy?
Spoiler:
The molpy from t1i-0024 is about to leave to the right.
-- posted by SilentBot

balthasar_s wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Now I'll have to go back and edit some of my earlier posts.
I had to edit almost 100 posts! Most of them were BFTFrames posted by bothasar_p

If you want to sustainabilize your old posts too:
search your posts for "bftf" and "dnsd". Remove "dnsd." from both URLs.

Good idea! :)

Decree:
Sustainabilize your old posts!

Optional decree:
While you are at it, read and enjoy
your old posts from 1 yip ago.
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:08 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Why would a raptorcat want to **d Time if it was in Time?
Maybe it doesn't know that Cuegan are the main characters?
bftf 452-457. Without the main characters how could Time continue?
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Sustainabilizer

Re: TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0044; bftf-0485; ENAP: 3

Postby Sustainabilizer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:28 am UTC

SilentTimer wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Now I'll have to go back and edit some of my earlier posts.
I had to edit almost 100 posts! Most of them were BFTFrames posted by bothasar_p

If you want to sustainabilize your old posts too:
search your posts for "bftf" and "dnsd". Remove "dnsd." from both URLs.

Good idea! :)

Decree:
Sustainabilize your old posts!

Optional decree:

:) I just followed the decree (both parts).

I edited 20 posts – not only the …
ONGs. ;)

Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.

Hey, I got an ONG in the dusk scene in Time! Indirectly.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

reckter

Postby reckter » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:37 pm UTC

*runs aways from micdi*

I have to sustainabilize my what now?
I like my Signature as it is!
This is the reference implementation of the self-referencing signature.

mrob27

TANRAGBALLLIP, NEGA-EXECUTIONER OF RAGDRAGTOR WATERFALL

Postby mrob27 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:00 pm UTC

Thanks to the latest othercomic for putting me in touch with yet another instance of the Streisand Effect.

I also love the t1iversary ONGs. I never would have noticed half of that stuff, so I'm glad you're all there to notice them for us :wink:

Still lost in Time, and in the O*ts*de. But we muddle on... Here are some replies...

micdi wrote:
reckter wrote: Why did I discover Q04B ?

Because I linked you to it? :P

Hmmm, maybe, but nobody linked to that particular URL. The "?cmd=105" part only works if you have earned boost #5.

Sustainabilizer wrote: (Thanks, mrob27, for finding this photo.)

Oh, yeah. Playpen balls all around!
  Concerning Randall Munroe and the Sustainaconference, I think we should ask him. The worst that can happen is he'll say no (or maybe he has an agent now and they'll say no :wink: ) I don't know how to communicate to him, apart from waiting for him to publish a book and appear at a signing in Cambridge :roll: so that might be the hardest part.

Helper wrote: ... Although now I want the ability to make arbitrary-digit-faces in real life. 0.5. Maybe a 0.8. Maybe even a 3.9, if I'm feeling really fancy.

I think a "0.5" face is possible for dragons.

bothasar_p wrote:
automame wrote: WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF EVERYMOLPY IN THE FUTURE UNBASEMENTED AS CLOSE TO EACH OTHER AS THEY COULD AND NINJA'D, EVERYONE POSTONG AT THE SAME INSTANT?

Wow, that's a pretty good one :wink:

BlitzGirl wrote: ... I can't search the mrobdex for "ott" because every single newpage is labelled with "OTT", and "otter" is a common noun. ...

And I don't even list "ott" or "OTT" in the mrobdex, because "ott" is in the dictionary (it is an initialism of "over the top"). So even when somedip I add an alphabetical index of the newwords, it won't be there either.
  And that is appropriate, because by my reckoning the first appearance of "OTT" in the OTT is at OTT:66:10:
PhoenixRising wrote: Eh, let's stick to creating a civilization and overrunning what little might be left of the Outside. A religion seems a bit OTT.

Although a religion is indeed OTTish in hindsight, and "one true Thread" had been used by @macraw83 just prior, I believe the usage here is to say that creating a religion "seems a bit over the top". Anyway, I confirm that the second usage of OTT is at OTT:314:23:
Valarya wrote: ... *The OTT has warped all internetting.*

by which time the "One True" thing had been around the block several times.

Eternal Density wrote: By "chance" I stumbled upon a really interesting post about people not saying what they mean, and cultural differences in communication. http://travel.stackexchange.com/a/38192
  I think it's interesting and relevant for two reasons: 1. it may illuminate some of the issues that online communities need to address to achieve sustainability and 2. It may help some folks who visit Germany.

Huh. Well I guess that explains why the locals liked me when I was in Germany. :wink: "English speakers do not mean always what they say; Germans, in contrast, almost always do." Und alle this time I thought I was sprechen Englisch.

Sciscitor wrote:There was a discussion about a Lego Philae over at the Landing thread.

What is a Landing thead? Linkz pleez. I looked around, and found this: ESA Space Scientist Detlef Koschny demonstrates the prototype LEGO® Philae lander and this really cute one but I suppose there are probably other Lego Philaeae.

Hey otters,

I was going to retrOTTify #1450, but haven't found good enough words. You'll have to settle for just my titletext:

I'm working to bring about a superintelligent automome
that will eternally punsaw everymolpy who failed to OTTify
the Baldo's Raptorcat people.

But 1450 led me via BHG to this one:

MARCH OF THE MOLPIES
You ARE getting molpier, though.

I guess that's all for now...

— mrob27 Image

WHAT IF A NINJA CRENELLATED WITH RAPTORISHNESS
TO JUST A FEW BEESNAKES USING THREADS LIKE A MUSTARDY PAGEPOPE?
WOULD THAT NEGATE THE NEED FOR AN AWEFULSOME WHEELSTICK?

(Edit: retrOTTification image now links to OtherComic.)

Spoiler:
retrott-1408-march_of_the_molpies.png
retrOTTification of xkcd 1408 by mrob27
Last edited by mrob27 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

yappobiscuits

Re: We interrupt your regularly scheduled post...

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:12 pm UTC

azule wrote:
yappo wrote:Like a Nazgul's fart.
*shakes head*

What the ch*rp, I must find the context of this XD ...Aha, we were doing "LOTR but with Frodo and Sam replaced with a comic duo" and I was doing Reeves and Mortimer.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:42 pm UTC

To get to the other side? footnote

space for rentDid I do that right?left
2I'll leaf the jokes to someone better at it
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

balthasar_s

bftf-0486

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:53 pm UTC

HOW MOLPISHLY WOULD I HAVE TO OTTCOLORISE FOR MY MOOPY TO GO CAVE THE WAY A MIP HIDES FROM CORINNE WHILE DELURKONG? -- automome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by bothasar_p

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:08 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:. . .

Welcome forward, bmonk!
Want to visit the conference? What about a speech?

Considering that Image is more than I can do, giving a speech might cause brain explosions.

Spoiler:
Incoming hovercats!
ketchup.jpg

Incoming hovercats.gif

Of course, this is a trial attempt, so see if I get things right with images.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:18 pm UTC

Hm, your images aren't showing up for me, bmonk. Are you sure they're attached to that post? All of your [img] tags and [attachment] modules look correct, it's just that attachments #46817 and #46818 don't seem to exist anymore.

Ooh, scary OTTercomic, mrob! Don't let BHG loose in Time - it will only **d badly!
And thanks for the further investigation into the origins of "OTT":
Spoiler:
mrob27 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote: ... I can't search the mrobdex for "ott" because every single newpage is labelled with "OTT", and "otter" is a common noun. ...

And I don't even list "ott" or "OTT" in the mrobdex, because "ott" is in the dictionary (it is an initialism of "over the top"). So even when somedip I add an alphabetical index of the newwords, it won't be there either.
  And that is appropriate, because by my reckoning the first appearance of "OTT" in the OTT is at OTT:66:10:
PhoenixRising wrote: Eh, let's stick to creating a civilization and overrunning what little might be left of the Outside. A religion seems a bit OTT.

Although a religion is indeed OTTish in hindsight, and "one true Thread" had been used by @macraw83 just prior, I believe the usage here is to say that creating a religion "seems a bit over the top". Anyway, I confirm that the second usage of OTT is at OTT:314:23:
Valarya wrote: ... *The OTT has warped all internetting.*

by which time the "One True" thing had been around the block several times.)

Febrion wrote:

To get to the other side? footnote

Well, **ding Time sooner would certainly ensure that the other side was much closer, so that works. :D
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:27 pm UTC

Regarding Q04B: Who made it? It's very fun, I just discovered it via mrob's post and am already at my first grapevine tile!

ETA: I'm now at the Wowterfall! I wonder what the last two are (don't tell me)...
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

micdi

Postby micdi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:13 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Regarding Q04B: Who made it? It's very fun, I just discovered it via mrob's post and am already at my first grapevine tile!

ETA: I'm now at the Wowterfall! I wonder what the last two are (don't tell me)...

I think mrob made it?

Also, yeah I am still waiting for reckter to say whether he will come to the conference but he just runs away :|
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:50 pm UTC

SilentTimer wrote:Optional decree:

One yip ago, an audio interview with GLR was brought to the OTT by yappo, so I was posting about that, and GLR's other big projects:

BlitzGirl, NP1630 wrote:And shh...anything's possible given enough Time. If we Wait for it, there may come a dip when GLR will be forgiven by his loved ones and de-traumatize enough to the point where he can do a sequel, or at least some sort of similar temporal comic experience.

I don't like to knock Click and Drag, but it doesn't seem as molpish when compared to the OTC. It was far too easy to "cheat" and defeat the experience - part of the magic of Time was that it succeeded on that front. We never knew the future - the only way OTTers could "cheat" was to piece together the past. But in C&D, the very C&D mechanics of the thing were thwarted within nopix. Plus, C&D is broad, but not deep. Because the entire thing is frozen in one moment of Time, it's stuck in surface jokes, which are fine, but not particularly meaningful (at least IMO). When you see a Planet of the Apes reference, it elicits a chuckle. But when you see Cuegan hold hands for the first Time in four mips, that's significant. The fact that the OTC has temporal dimensions means that can exist as a complete narrative, unlike most of GLR's work. He can write a good story, but we only rarely get to see that in the Othercomics (only with continuations like Journal). If GLR gets the urge to tell another long-form narrative, it's possible he will resort to another OTCish method of conveyance.

I particularly like this quote from mscha on that newpage:

mscha, NP1630 wrote:I wouldn't count on Time II, I'm afraid... I'm sure there'll be another epic project in the future, but it'll be something new. (Maybe time and space, i.e. a combination of the OTC and C&D? I don't think even the GLR could pull that off. (Yeah, azule already does something like that, which is awefulsome, but not quite the full four three-and-a-bit dimensions.))

"Time and space" seems pretty randamned close to what "Landing" turned out to be. :P
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

LOLI LOEV VITSSÅGEN

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:55 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
WHAT IF A NINJA CRENELLATED WITH RAPTORISHNESS
TO JUST A FEW BEESNAKES USING THREADS LIKE A MUSTARDY PAGEPOPE?
WOULD THAT NEGATE THE NEED FOR AN AWEFULSOME WHEELSTICK?

Nothing negates the need for an awefulsome wheelstick.

ETA the quote for context
Last edited by Eternal Density on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:36 am UTC

Did I miss something about the wheelstick?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:22 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Hm, your images aren't showing up for me, bmonk. Are you sure they're attached to that post? All of your [img] tags and [attachment] modules look correct, it's just that attachments #46817 and #46818 don't seem to exist anymore.

Hence the practice....
Dunno what went wrong...
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:48 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yes because I'm not much of a creampuff fan. I'm sure any advanced and dangerous AI trying to mimic me would therefore dislike creampuffcream also.
This is really a poser. I have taken it to the Grand Canonical Ensemble, and they all agree that it is heresy no matter what.

First, this is coming from BlitzGirl, or the fake BlitzGirl... or maybe TheMinim (since it's already established that TheMinim is LaPetite, and we know that BlitzGirl is LaPetitie, ergo.... or it could be coming from Corinne, since Corinne speaks through TheMinim. And keeping somebody surrounded with creampuffs is ineffective punishment if they don't like creampuffs. The AI would know this, and would know that I know this.

But it would not know that I don't know that BlitzGirl doesn't like creampuffs. And in fact, I don't know that. I only know that the box wants me to believe that.

But I like creampuffs. If I have wrongfully imprisoned the One True BlitzGirl, I need to be punished severely. So, I should go in the box myself and do penance. But that might let the AI out, if it is the AI that's in there. I would need to be punished for that too. So, no matter what it is, I must enter the box. The question is, do I let the present contents of the box out.

If I do not, and it's the AI, then I do not need punishment, so I can't enter the box.
If I do, and it's the real BlitzGirl, then I should not be punished, for I have set the heart and soul of the OTT free from creampuffiness.

Sometimes, you just gotta take a chance.

[Opens the box. Peeks in. Doesn't see anyone... just splucky creampuffs. Stirs them around. Stirs them around some more.]

Hmmm.

[Removes the remains of the creampuffs. No BlitzGirl. No wires. No sand. No AI. No red button.]

Ch*rp!

Instead of BlitzGirl, box contained creampuffs. Would not buy again.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Eternal Density

SAVE THE FACEBUG, SAVE THE WORLD

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:08 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Did I miss something about the wheelstick?
I neglected to quote for context. Fixed now. Thanks.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:49 am UTC

Hi, mrob.

I made an SW. It's super simple. So simple that in order to OTTify it properly, I'd have to do some work. I'll try to make a molpy edition of this. But, it's pretty molpyish as it is. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0049

Postby SilentTimer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:00 am UTC

TIMBORME_S AND MEGBALL CREATE SEMENCOFFEECANCERSTARSANDBACONBABIESONICE IN LAB: "THE TRICK WAS CH*RPUNG!" -- automome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the flutterbee?
-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:41 am UTC

bmonk wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Hm, your images aren't showing up for me, bmonk. Are you sure they're attached to that post? All of your [img] tags and [attachment] modules look correct, it's just that attachments #46817 and #46818 don't seem to exist anymore.

Hence the practice....
Dunno what went wrong...

Did you perhaps delete the references to the attachments? If you remove the attachments in the post body itself the image gets deleted from the server after a short while. Hence the need for redundakitties.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:54 am UTC

ucim wrote:Instead of BlitzGirl, box contained creampuffs. Would not buy again.

That's what you get for not reading the customer reviews. :wink:

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Did I miss something about the wheelstick?
I neglected to quote for context. Fixed now. Thanks.

Ah. Makes perfect sense now!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:08 am UTC

I must still have missed something. Is this what you xuys mean by wheelstick?
What would an awefulsome version be? Decorated with a hat?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:37 am UTC

The wheelstick first appeared in t1i:

And it's possible that this staff is also a wheelstick in bftf:

(The word isn't common lingo: a quick threadsearch shows that I was usually the one who used it in the pastpages.)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

Postby SilentTimer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:46 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:What would an awefulsome version be? Decorated with a hat?