1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np944

Postby mscha » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

BRONGDOWN...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Yay, Popebot! Bow for your robot overlord! Image Decree: rONGs, with optional OTTification or colorization.

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:RANDOMPIXBOT USED COMA! IT'S NOT VERY EFFECTIVE...

-- posted by randompixbot

HES

Re: Time Randomly Revisited - np944

Postby HES » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:04 pm UTC

ETA: If you're the sort of person who considers a molpy's owners to be their parents, then my post-OTTerCon friend visiting excursion is to visit Simba's half-brother-hamply. /ETA

HES USED COMA! IT'SssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzImage
He/Him/His Image

Link

REMAIN MOUNTAINISH AND SUSTAINABILIZE MOLPHINS

Postby Link » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:10 pm UTC

Baobabs, ED, that's awesomeful!

SilentTimer wrote:"CH*RP THE QUESTIONABLE CARCASS" SOUNDS LIKE A FUNG HOTDOG. -- ongomome
:shock:
Well, whatever floats your raftcastle, I guess. :?

For decree:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

AUTOMOME wrote:SHIPCASTLES POP LIKE VIBRANT SEEDS. SPLASHING BLITZROCKETS IN A VOID. I AM SEAISH.

azule
Saved

Re: Time Randomly Revisited - np944

Postby azule » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:34 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Yay, Popebot! Bow for your robot overlord! Image Decree: rONGs, with optional OTTification or colorization.
Just what BlitzGirl ordered. :idea:

Ch*rp, that's two. I also tried coma. *zzzzzzz*blurgh*

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:40 pm UTC

Does randompixbot prefer memes that include randompixbot now? That's a little less random. But a little more randompix.

I'll add randompixbot to the ongtext generator's word list. and SilentBot. And some more. (ETA: randompixbot was already there. But SilentBot wasn't.)
The ongtext generator or ongomome or whatever is actually mrob's automome with a modified meme definition file and some ongification built around it. Thank you mrob for automome.
In 2010 I drew a comic where they had a random-text-generating-device, It's allrelated.
There wast a SilentBot post recently where the meme ends with a "zz". I edited the meme definition file and wanted o undo and Ctrl+Z but ctrl didn't work.

The personality/introversy thing. I knew this word for some years from school. I'm an introvert. Not sure about the other three letters. Will have to find out how to find out. Additionally, I have the social anxiety thing. If you look through my early posts you will notice how much my posting changed while the OTT was becoming more familiar. After I see a new delurker I'm always a little afraid of them for the first few days. I sometimes don't check my email for some days because I'm afraid someone may want something from me. I often leave my phone off. It also affects my shopping. I really dislike buying things. The most extreme example:
Some time ago I bought a wheel with a built-in electric generator. Before that I found out what it is, how it works, how much it costs, if people who use it like it, etc. Then I decided that I really want to buy it. The only thing left to do was to go and buy it. How much time passed since I decided until I bought it?
Spoiler:
3 years

At the beginning of being here I was reading the posts, translating them to Polish, thinking of a reply also in Polish, translating my thoughts back to English and then posting it.
Today I'm reading and writing directly in English.

Today morning I had an idea for a video game that I thought was very good. I have no idea how to write such a thing. Maybe in a few years. I made some notes and drawings to not forget it. Anyway, I'll see if I still like this idea tomorrow. Or in a week.

ETAfixtypo
Last edited by balthasar_s on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:53 pm UTC

Or in 3 years. :wink:

That transition from Polish to English is steakishly impressive, balthatranslate.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Link

NOW IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME, I HAVE A FIRSTPOST TO SACRIFICE

Postby Link » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:14 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Does randompixbot prefer memes that include randompixbot now? That's a little less random. But a little more randompix.

I'll add randompixbot to the ongtext generator's word list. and SilentBot. And some more. (ETA: randompixbot was already there. But SilentBot wasn't.)
The ongtext generator or ongomome or whatever is actually mrob's automome with a modified meme definition file and some ongification built around it. Thank you mrob for automome.
Heh, mrob's automome started as a Perl clone of my Python version, which is in turn a black-box reimplementation and OTTification of AUTOMEME, which sadly appears to have died. Behind the scenes, mrob's automome has diverged a lot from mine; his has a single meme and dictionary file with a custom syntax, while mine has separate dictionary files and hard-coded meme templates (editing memes is slightly more difficult in my version, but they're Turing complete). Then there's azule's OTToMeme, which IIRC is a yet another black-box reimplementation of the concept. That makes a total of five AUTOMEME implementations, four of which are OTTifications. :D

balthasar_s wrote:Today morning I had an idea for a video game that I thought was very good. I have no idea how to write such a thing. Maybe in a few years. I made some notes and trawings to not forget it. Anyway, I'll see if I still like this idea tomorrow. Or in a week.
I've been playing with some ideas for a hotdog for a few mips now. Unfortunately, the kind of hotdog I have in mind requires Zanclean amounts of work to create and that in turn requires Time I just don't have right now. I initially had the idea of implementing it using SDL, but the new version is apparently quite different from the old one. Then I had the idea of going straight for OpenGL, but the modern OpenGL 3+ pipeline is also something I'm not familiar with. All in all I'd need to learn so much stuff before I could even get started that it's just not realistic to expect to be able to do it any Time soon.

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:21 am UTC

Hotdogs are a thing I consistantly do not finish making.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:55 am UTC

Unfinished Hotdogs is a much sought-after collection of VHF song drafts, raw versions, and demo tapes.
Spoiler:
The cover art, however, is already finished:
RSIR:
Spoiler:
full.jpg
full.jpg (21.52 KiB) Viewed 15164 times
132b_moving_tail_kitty_car_decal_cats.jpg
132b_moving_tail_kitty_car_decal_cats.jpg (2.2 KiB) Viewed 15164 times
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0318

Postby SilentTimer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:00 am UTC

TO THE SURPRISE OF PUNDITS, A ZOMBIE OTTER EYEBALL CONTINUES TO BE BEST SYSTEM FOR DETERMINUNG WHICH OF TWO THINGS IS LARGER. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… that snakes don't have eyelids?
Spoiler:
HES and TheMinim did.
SBN noticed that legless lizards might have.
mscha caught the treemolpy.
-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:18 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Unfinished Hotdogs is a much sought-after collection of VHF song drafts, raw versions, and demo tapes.
I had forgotten about VHF - thanks for bringing it back to mind! Love the cover art.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Eternal Density

BECOME AN [SPOILERS]

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:30 am UTC

azule wrote:I tried to blitz the comments (when still on topic). I might have made it, but mobile and load more aren't friends. I spotted two OTC converts and one potential new blitzer.

It was funny how few got that the game wasn't meant for them. If it's open source they could make a version not just for us "hipsters". lol. I guess having friends makes everyone a hipster.

BG "Or :azuling:, as it is sometimes known." - If you are literally lol then it might not be a :azuling:. I believe that would be :lmjbing:. I hope I have the right laugher....*fear *
The comments were pretty funny :P So many people unable to read two pages of text!
I searched Bing for LMJ but didn't find much of interest.
balthasar_s wrote:The personality/introversy thing. I knew this word for some years from school. I'm an introvert. Not sure about the other three letters. Will have to find out how to find out. Additionally, I have the social anxiety thing. If you look through my early posts you will notice how much my posting changed while the OTT was becoming more familiar. After I see a new delurker I'm always a little afraid of them for the first few days. I sometimes don't check my email for some days because I'm afraid someone may want something from me. I often leave my phone off. It also affects my shopping. I really dislike buying things. The most extreme example:
Some time ago I bought a wheel with a built-in electric generator. Before that I found out what it is, how it works, how much it costs, if people who use it like it, etc. Then I decided that I really want to buy it. The only thing left to do was to go and buy it. How much time passed since I decided until I bought it?
Spoiler:
3 years

At the beginning of being here I was reading the posts, translating them to Polish, thinking of a reply also in Polish, translating my thoughts back to English and then posting it.

Today morning I had an idea for a video game that I thought was very good. I have no idea how to write such a thing. Maybe in a few years. I made some notes and drawings to not forget it. Anyway, I'll see if I still like this idea tomorrow. Or in a week.

ETAfixtypo
I really don't like the process of meeting new people. Though I'm generally okay after I've done it. Making phone calls is something I seriously put off. I was meant to call back a doctor 6 months ago and the doctor wasn't in when I tried so I kinda haven't tried again. And I rarely turn my phone on, though there's not a lot of signal at home and I don't actually leave home much these dips.

Hotdog ideas are awesomeful. I've been having them for over 15 yips!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:14 am UTC

Treeish album cover art, ZoomanSP! :)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:21 am UTC

Gah, I missed the centipage. *note to self: pages loaded more than four hours ago may be longer than they appear*
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:50 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:Unfinished Hotdogs is a much sought-after collection of VHF song drafts, raw versions, and demo tapes.
I had forgotten about VHF - thanks for bringing it back to mind! Love the cover art.
BlitzGirl wrote:Treeish album cover art, ZoomanSP! :)

Thanks xuys, but it's not from me, I found it here. I just attached it to prevent it from disappearing if the OutsideH website gets changed.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0319

Postby SilentTimer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:00 am UTC

IF DOODLUNG FURIOUSLY IN YOUR PANTS IS DUNEJUMPISH, THEN I'M AZULE. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the thin air?
-- posted by SilentBot

Help addams!

Eternal Density

BAG GOES WHERE‽

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:20 am UTC

We're all AZULE. :azule:

ETA
New OtherComic is ready for wolpification: http://www.xkcd.com/1471
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:20 am UTC

There once was a Cueball who swallowed a wolpy...
I don't know why he swallowed a wolpy...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:49 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:
The personality/introversy thing. I knew this word for some years from school. I'm an introvert. Not sure about the other three letters. Will have to find out how to find out. Additionally, I have the social anxiety thing. If you look through my early posts you will notice how much my posting changed while the OTT was becoming more familiar. After I see a new delurker I'm always a little afraid of them for the first few days. I sometimes don't check my email for some days because I'm afraid someone may want something from me. I often leave my phone off. It also affects my shopping.
I really dislike buying things. The most extreme example:
Spoiler:
3 years

Spoiler:

ETAfixtypo

This part is quite the reverse of me. I can take a while deciding what I want. I gather a lot of information. Then I get sick of weighing all the options and just buy something. That's usually within a couple of weeks. Sometimes it turns out afterwards that I forgot to check whether I actually needed it.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:43 am UTC

Regarding OTTerCon: I tried to shuffle things around a bit but unfortunatly outside work does not permit me to attend the conference, so sadly I am a round 0.0. :(
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:51 am UTC

ergman wrote:Hotdogs are a thing I consistantly do not finish making.
Depends on the definition of "finish". I have one finished (my first game) but it needs much tweakling.

IF DOODLUNG FURIOUSLY IN YOUR PANTS IS DUNEJUMPISH, THEN I'M AZULE. -- ongomome
Egad! Can I sue (sp?) ongomome for slander (libel?)?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:51 am UTC

Aww shucks. That is mustardy, Sciscitor
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:41 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:New OtherComic is ready for wolpification

RSIR:
Spoiler:
1471_ott.png
Wait on.

Spoiler:

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:52 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Image
For this you get:
Micro-micro-micro-micro-micro-micro-micro-micro-micro-micro-micro-micro-molpy-biome!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0593

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:00 am UTC

ALL YOUR PASTPOST ARE BELONG TO LOOPSY -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.
-- posted by lmjbot

Eternal Density

...LPY MOLPY MOLPY MOLPY MO...

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:22 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:Regarding OTTerCon: I tried to shuffle things around a bit but unfortunatly outside work does not permit me to attend the conference, so sadly I am a round 0.0. :(
Awww endish mustard :(
ZoomanSP wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:New OtherComic is ready for wolpification

RSIR:
Spoiler:
1471_ott.png
Treeish biome!
Yes that's exactly what I envisaged. (StormAngel says "As did I.")

On the topic of buying things, I like that I can order things on the internet. Though I do also like that I can actually purchase things at a shop too, and often with every little human interaction (wooo auto-checkouts!).
Though it's a bit like http://xkcd.com/418/ but 'buy chocolate' instead of 'cook bacon'.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:08 pm UTC

WOOT, booked a cheap room for the OTTference!

he/him/his

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:There once was a Cueball who swallowed a wolpy...
I don't know why he swallowed a wolpy...

He swallowed the wolpy to catch the meowpy
He swallowed the meowpy to catch the chirpy
He swallowed the chirpy to catch the beesnake
I don't know why he swallowed the beesnake.
Poor old Cueball, he has a belly-ache.

Stay warm everyone. Now that it actually has internet I'm in my new castle, which is still without family.
Hopefully early next week we'll work on that. Smallest Wolpy isn't doing well, so we're trying to limit her travel, and then find her a wolpy doctor here that can help her.

She may be playing with Simba soon.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0321

Postby SilentTimer » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

YO LAPETITE, I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU, IMMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT BIGGEST BUNGS BROTHER_S HAD ONE OF THE MOLPIEST BAOBABS OF ALL TIME -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the weird dialogue?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot

Help addams!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:21 pm UTC

New what if.

Does the secret moonbase have a pool? Does it have molphins?

he/him/his

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:06 pm UTC

The last Authorcomic is silly. Wolpies are medicinal, but only if you don't eat them but play with them, cuddle them and take walks with them.

he/him/his

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:41 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:The last Authorcomic is silly. Wolpies are medicinal, but only if you don't eat them but play with them, cuddle them and take walks with them.

Calling an authorcomic silly seems slightly heretical. *picks up bag of freshly mixed S&Ms menacingly, starts eating*
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:12 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:New what if.Does the secret moonbase have a pool? Does it have molphins?
It's all related!
In 2013 I improvised a song-shaped-thing.
Didn't rhyme, didn't make sense, it was the only time I did something like that. I don't know why.

A part of it was with a swimming pool in space. Translated to English it would be something like that:

[...]
I'll stay there a little longer and I'll
demand tickets for a swimming pool.

Build a swimming pool in space!
Weightlessness is the cause of stress
Swimming is much more natural
It will be easier for us to get used to

Build a swimming pool in space!
Give out free tickets
But don't be surprised when nobody comes
Because you forgot to attach the doorknob.

And a doorknob in space is important
[...]

and so on.

My "Don't fall asleep!" film has some references to it. But i don't think anybody noticed them. Only 5 people heard that song and only once.
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:44 pm UTC

azule wrote:
ergman wrote:Hotdogs are a thing I consistantly do not finish making.
Depends on the definition of "finish". I have one finished (my first game) but it needs much tweakling.

It varies. There's one project with my friend that we finished 90% of the game and then figured it wasn't actually any good.
I've been working on a little platformer in python that I kinda finished because it was for school, but I've been revamping and motivation for that is low right now.
and I have the engine for a platformy fighting game, but again, motivation.

It's much easier to play hotdogs than make them.

edit: actually, the first two games are kinda RELATED. sandcastles, and flooding respectively.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:49 pm UTC

Statistics update. The amount of time elapsed between the first post of the first page and the last post of the last page of each century. All times are UTC. Now with less heresy!
Spoiler:
1-100: Innocence 1, 0 A.T. 4:09 am - Innocence 4, 0 A.T. 7:52 pm (3 dips, 15 longpix, 43 minips)
101-200: Innocence 4, 0 A.T. 7:52 pm - Innocence 8, 0 A.T. 4:01 am (3 dips, 8 longpix, 9 minips)
201-300: Innocence 8, 0 A.T. 4:01 am - Innocence 18, 0 A.T. 10:57 pm (10 dips, 18 longpix, 56 minips)
301-400: Innocence 18, 0 A.T. 11:00 pm - Departure 3, 0 A.T. 9:04 pm (12 dips, 22 longpix, 4 minips)
401-500: Departure 3, 0 A.T. 9:04 pm - Departure 11, 0 A.T. 2:33 pm (7 dips, 17 longpix, 29 minips)
501-600: Departure 11, 0 A.T. 2:35 pm - Departure 21, 0 A.T. 7:06 pm (10 dips, 4 longpix, 31 minips)
601-700: Departure 21, 0 A.T. 7:12 pm - Awe 5, 0 A.T. 5:45 am (11 dips, 10 longpix, 33 minips)
701-800: Awe 5, 0 A.T. 6:01 am - Awe 19, 0 A.T. 9:45 pm (14 dips, 15 longpix, 44 minips)
801-900: Awe 19, 0 A.T. 9:49 pm - Tribulation 5, 0 A.T. 7:16 pm (13 dips, 21 longpix, 27 minips)
901-1000: Tribulation 5, 0 A.T. 7:20 pm - Tribulation 17, 0 A.T. 11:16 pm (12 dips, 3 longpix, 56 minips)
1001-1100: Tribulation 17, 0 A.T. 11:16 pm - Revelation 1, 0 A.T. 5:07 pm (11 dips, 17 longpix, 51 minips)
1101-1200: Revelation 1, 0 A.T. 5:08 pm - Revelation 9, 0 A.T. 2:28 pm (7 dips, 21 longpix, 20 minips)
1201-1300: Revelation 9, 0 A.T. 2:29 pm - Revelation 15, 0 A.T. 11:19 pm (6 dips, 8 longpix, 50 minips)
1301-1400: Revelation 15, 0 A.T. 11:20 pm - Deliverance 12, 0 A.T. 7:10 am (24 dips, 7 longpix, 50 minips)
1401-1500: Deliverance 12, 0 A.T. 7:18 am - Commandment 18, 0 A.T. 12:59 am (33 dips, 17 longpix, 41 minips)
1501-1600: Commandment 18, 0 A.T. 12:59 am - Visitation Ja 7, 0 A.T. 6:17 am (45 dips, 5 longpix, 18 minips)
1601-1700: Visitation Ja 7, 0 A.T. 6:21 am - Summit 15, 0 A.T. 7:17 am (64 dips, 0 longpix, 56 minips)
1701-1800: Summit 15, 0 A.T. 8:05 am - Advent 19, 0 A.T. 5:48 pm (60 dips, 9 longpix, 43 minips)
1801-1900: Advent 19, 0 A.T. 6:21 pm - Innocence 25, 1 A.T. 4:12 pm (34 dips, 21 longpix, 51 minips)
1901-2000: Innocence 25, 1 A.T. 4:17 pm - Tribulation 10, 1 A.T. 4:36 pm (69 dips, 0 longpix, 19 minips)
2001-2100: Tribulation 10, 1 A.T. 4:41 pm - Commandment 5, 1 A.T. 10:49 pm (79 dips, 6 longpix, 8 minips)
2101-2200: Commandment 5, 1 A.T. 10:51 pm - Summit 10, 1 A.T. 10:50 pm (116 dips, 23 longpix, 59 minips)
And a heretical version if you want it:
Spoiler:
1-100: Mar 25, 2013 4:09 am - Mar 28, 2013 7:52 pm (3 days, 15 hours, 43 minutes)
101-200: Mar 28, 2013 7:52 pm - Apr 01, 2013 4:01 am (3 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes)
201-300: Apr 01, 2013 4:01 am - Apr 11, 2013 10:57 pm (10 days, 18 hours, 56 minutes)
301-400: Apr 11, 2013 11:00 pm - Apr 24, 2013 9:04 pm (12 days, 22 hours, 4 minutes)
401-500: Apr 24, 2013 9:04 pm - May 02, 2013 2:33 pm (7 days, 17 hours, 29 minutes)
501-600: May 02, 2013 2:35 pm - May 12, 2013 7:06 pm (10 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes)
601-700: May 12, 2013 7:12 pm - May 24, 2013 5:45 am (11 days, 10 hours, 33 minutes)
701-800: May 24, 2013 6:01 am - Jun 07, 2013 9:45 pm (14 days, 15 hours, 44 minutes)
801-900: Jun 07, 2013 9:49 pm - Jun 21, 2013 7:16 pm (13 days, 21 hours, 27 minutes)
901-1000: Jun 21, 2013 7:20 pm - Jul 03, 2013 11:16 pm (12 days, 3 hours, 56 minutes)
1001-1100: Jul 03, 2013 11:16 pm - Jul 15, 2013 5:07 pm (11 days, 17 hours, 51 minutes)
1101-1200: Jul 15, 2013 5:08 pm - Jul 23, 2013 2:28 pm (7 days, 21 hours, 20 minutes)
1201-1300: Jul 23, 2013 2:29 pm - Jul 29, 2013 11:19 pm (6 days, 8 hours, 50 minutes)
1301-1400: Jul 29, 2013 11:20 pm - Aug 23, 2013 7:10 am (24 days, 7 hours, 50 minutes)
1401-1500: Aug 23, 2013 7:18 am - Sep 26, 2013 12:59 am (33 days, 17 hours, 41 minutes)
1501-1600: Sep 26, 2013 12:59 am - Nov 10, 2013 6:17 am (45 days, 5 hours, 18 minutes)
1601-1700: Nov 10, 2013 6:21 am - Jan 13, 2014 7:17 am (64 days, 0 hours, 56 minutes)
1701-1800: Jan 13, 2014 8:05 am - Mar 14, 2014 5:48 pm (60 days, 9 hours, 43 minutes)
1801-1900: Mar 14, 2014 6:21 pm - Apr 18, 2014 4:12 pm (34 days, 21 hours, 51 minutes)
1901-2000: Apr 18, 2014 4:17 pm - Jun 26, 2014 4:36 pm (69 days, 0 hours, 19 minutes)
2001-2100: Jun 26, 2014 4:41 pm - Sep 13, 2014 10:49 pm (79 days, 6 hours, 8 minutes)
2101-2200: Sep 13, 2014 10:51 pm - Jan 08, 2015 10:50 pm (116 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes)
And a graph:

We've continued slowing down; on the other hand, we had 102 unique users last century, compared to 75 the century before.

redundant
Spoiler:
time_per_quarter_2200.png

Edited per a PM'd suggestion to reduce heresy further.
Last edited by Earthling on Mars on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:43 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ggh

2015 Epilogue musings and guesswork

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:55 pm UTC

Greetings from the basement! It's that time of year that I can't resist chiming in with a few epilogue thoughts, and then I have to disappear again for a while. The outside is very outsidey. There's the usual Stuff, and the Little Wonder's dad is still in NZ for a couple of weeks. A micromolpy invasion isn't helping any of it.

I've read to the present, but - yikes - I haven't properly ketchupped in over a hundred newpages. That's gonna have to wait, but for now I'd just like to wish everyone a Happy and Healthy 2015, and that goes double for SW with both fingers crossed.

So far, 2015 has shown the sequence:

Code: Select all

AECB DADC DC EDBA DECB CB DCAE
(I'm putting the spaces there to mark the symmetry-wise groupings.)

I believe that sequence reflects a few sloshers being added to a base sequence of:

AECB BADC DC EDBA AECB CB DCAE

(spoilered for showing-my-work)
Spoiler:
Calling the D in the 5-slot a slosher is consistent with the groups typically containing 4 different frames. Flagging the D in the 15-spot seems like a good guess given that the frame offsets between the unsloshed 2013 sequences and the unsloshed 2014 sequences were uniform within groupings.

This would mean that if the same symmetries exist in 2015, the four unsloshed sequences will be:

AECB BADC DC EDBA AECB CB DCAE
EABC ABCD CD DEAB EABC BC CDEA
CBAE DCBA AE BAED CBAE ED AEDC
BCEA CDAB EA ABDE BCEA DE EACD

I'd be lying if I said I understand the sloshing algorithm. At first I thought that it replaced doubled frames with D unless that wouldn't fix the problem, and would replace them with C instead if C fixed it, but that isn't quite right. In 2013 and 2014, doubled A, B and Cs always get sloshed with Ds and doubled Ds and Es always get sloshed with Cs. Is that the rule, or just how it happened to work out for those two years? I don't know, but until I get more data points, I'm just going to treat that as the rule.

That would give us the four sloshed sequences:

AECB DADC DC EDBA DECB CB DCAE
EABC ABCD CD CEAB EABC BC DDEA  Where the leading E is replaced with a C on the 10th
CBAE DCBA DE BAED CBAE CD AEDC  Where the leading C is replaced with a D on the 21st-29th
BCEA CDAB EA DBDE BCEA DE CACD

These are my predictions for the sequences of 2015. If the 10s prove me wrong, maybe I'll take another crack at it in an edit before the 20s roll around. ;)

More patterns:
Spoiler:
Of the four monthly permutations of the epilogue, I have a fondness for the 20s because it descends quite neatly in the unsloshed versions. In 2013, it goes

BAED CBAE ED AEDC BAED DC DCBA

which starts on B and descends for the first 8 frames, has a little hiccup where it holds for frame 9 and then descends on 10. Frame 11 has a jump to A, but from there it again descends through 8 frames (11-18), holds for one and drops one more. There is another jump at frame 21 to D, and descent for the rest. The 2014 20s follow the same pattern, but the three sections start at B, C and E:

BAED CBAE ED CBAE DCBA AE EDCB

If you compare these two, as noted before, the first 10 frames are identical, then there is an offset of 2 for the next 10 and an offset of 1 for the last 4.

Then I looked at my predicted 2015 to see what the offset might be there. For

CBAE DCBA AE BAED CBAE ED AEDC

the offset from 2014 is 1 for the first 10, -1 for the next 10 and 1 for the last 4. I don't know what the significance of these offsets is, if there is any, but it is funny how 2015 steals from the past two years: the first 10 frames of 2015 are the second 10 from 2014, and the next 14 are the first 14 from 2013. (Or maybe the last 4 of that 14 are coincidence, and I should just say the next 10.) Anyways, it made me feel a little silly for predicting the remaining 3 sequences by applying the symmetry and guessing how the sloshers behave, when I could just predict them by cutting and pasting from the appropriate chunks of the last two years....

So... what does it all mean? I still have no idea. A few musings though:

The sequence did change at the New Year, as we thought it would - last year wasn't a fluke. The epilogue may be counting the years in its own way, or there may be a really really slow message that our descendants can puzzle out. We don't know for sure it's deliberate. Maybe some of you out there who know computery stuff will know of some normal process that this will look like a natural side effect of.

Secondly, if my predictions come to pass, there is a lot less data here than we originally thought. At first, we saw 4 epilogue sequences per year, each with 24 frames - 96 letters for us to digest. The symmetry though would seem to make three sequences redundant, taking us back to 24. Now, with that 10-frame pattern looking pretty consistent, we're reduced to getting 2 or maybe 3 (are those last 4 letters an echo, or are they their own independent grouping?) pieces of information per year.

I may edit this post if new info comes to light, but for now, that's all I've got. Must coma.

-------------

Edit to bow to my robot overlord:
STARONG...
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Re: THIS IS RECENT BLITZROCKET, I MUST DEMUSTARD IT

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:01 pm UTC

I really should start thinking about an epilogue generating algorhithm.

mrob27 wrote:@mscha reported that one of the xkcd servers was 7 seconds slow (see this post and this post). Note the first assumption implicit in his statement that "IMO: a well-configured server should always be running NTP, and thus always be within a few milliseconds of actual time".?
My first botcastle didn't use NTP. When I replaced it with the current one it was 7 minutes ahead.
mscha would not like that.
BFTF replay

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:47 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:I really should start thinking about an epilogue generating algorhithm.
Them's scary words!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mrob27

SUDDENLY, ONGS. THOUSANDS OF THEM!

Postby mrob27 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:13 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:The ongtext generator or ongomome or whatever is actually mrob's automome with a modified meme definition file and some ongification built around it. Thank you mrob for automome.

You're welcome! (But of course it was @Link's idea). There are plenty of bots to go around, that's what I say.

I'm an introvert. Not sure about the other three letters. Will have to find out how to find out.

You could do worse than to check the 4×4 grid ("Karnaugh map") on my MBTI page. The core ideas are in the section "Reading the Chart" right below the main table.
 The S-N Dimension : N = abstract in thought and speech ("iNtuitive") S = concrete in thought and speech ("Sensing")
 The T-F Dimension T = utilitarian in using tools ("Thinking") F = coorperative in using tools ("Feeling")
 The P-J Dimension J = organized/scheduled/inflexible ("Judging") P = flexible/unscheduled/disorganized ("Perceiving")
 All are advertised as dichotomies, but most people only have a modest preference to one side or the other. Thus my brief profiles of xNTP and ExTJ with links to people who classified themselves that way.

Link wrote:Heh, mrob's automome started as a Perl clone of my Python version, which is in turn a black-box reimplementation and OTTification of AUTOMEME, which sadly appears to have died. Behind the scenes, mrob's automome has diverged a lot from mine; his has a single meme and dictionary file with a custom syntax, while mine has separate dictionary files and hard-coded meme templates (editing memes is slightly more difficult in my version, but they're Turing complete). Then there's azule's OTToMeme, which IIRC is a yet another black-box reimplementation of the concept. That makes a total of five AUTOMEME implementations, four of which are OTTifications. :D

Do we need more? Let's make more... wait a minute. Has anyone thought about what happens when the AUTOMEMEs outnumber all other bots combined?

Thanks for all the epilogue speculation, @ggh! ... and I think, though we've only heard from his bots lately, @mscha may have become aware of the missing bits of epilogue data on his page and done a little reprogramming to fill them in.

— mrob27 Image

HOW DUNEJUMPISHLY WOULD A COMA HAVE TO BE HOTDOGGED
TO BE ABLE TO HOTDOG THE NEWPIX STRAIGHT ONTO ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ƎНТ?

Every time an OTTer types a new word, somewhere in the mrobiverse tired electrons spring to life, rousing four bots who separately ponder its syllabification and stress pattern.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Link

MEOWLPYMAN, MEOWLPYMAN, DOES WHATEVER A MEOWLPY CAN

Postby Link » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:30 pm UTC

AUTOMOME 3.6 RELEASED

This version brings more mrob27 ketchup, although I haven't got round to adding the What If memes yet. (Wait for it!) More notably, there's a lot of new vocabulary, and a significant amount of new memes.

AUTOMOME wrote:ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: NINJA AN OVARY

ETA:
mrob27 wrote:Do we need more? Let's make more... wait a minute. Has anyone thought about what happens when the AUTOMEMEs outnumber all other bots combined?
That would herald the start of the approach towards the memetic singularity. It would break the meme density record at an exponentially increasing rate, although I suspect it will eventually turn to a sigmoid and asymptotically approach the theoretical maximum memetic rate density of exactly 9000 memes per Plan(c)k volume per Plan(c)k Time.ρ Of course, we'd almost certainly be dead well before the inflection point.

ρIf you could have over 9000 memes per Plan(c)k volume per Plan(c)k Time, that would itself be memetic, which would, according to quantum memetics, cause an ever-amplifying meme condensation which would rip the universe apart. Thus ends Time.
Last edited by Link on Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”