1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mrob27

DECREE: CONSIDER THE PUZZLES OF THE OTT

Postby mrob27 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:06 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote: What's the main reason of botcastle downtime these days? It sometimes randomly decides to stop accepting incoming connections on the ethernet. The bots can still download things but you can't access anything. 127.0.0.1 still works. I have no idea why. I don't even know if it's a hardware or software problem. I have a bot that detects this situation and resets the botcastle.

More bots! The bOTTeriada is approaching...

azule wrote: Edit: new what-if about measurements of butter. Backpackful is one such measure. Pixel is one, here. I guess we could now create a scale, like with thermometers.

Yep, and we now have a conversion between time and mass (16 sticks of butter is "just over five dips") which should help with the confusion and redundancy :mrgreen:

balthasar_s wrote: ETA: You may be wondering where this came from:
SilentTimer wrote: I LOVE UNBASEMENTUNG. AND ALL MOLPYDILES. automome IS PRETTY COOL. BOOM DE YADA, BOOM DE YADA. — ongomome

I forgot to copy the [nounis] template from mrob27

Oh yes, I forgot that you grab new copies of my memes from time to time (or hopefully, you have a bot that downloads the current version and alerts you only when something has changed? More bots!!!)
  Anyway, I did improve the Boom-de-Yada quite a bit, making the individual lines more flexible and more likely to fit the meter. There is more to go I'm sure, but it's a lot better than it had been. I performed that work whilst composing my post at OTT:2203:23. I'll try to add more and better comments. I'm glad you like it :)

ETA: mrobdex puzzle.There are no blinkentexts anymore. But there is color. Red and green. Red seems to be more common than green. green is more common near the beginning that the end. There is no green after page 12. Not only the mr*bdex but also pages after it, like the glossary.
Actually, all italic text has become red.

ETA: I think I noticed something more...

That's great progress! It looks like I might actually be able to start writing those bOTTeriada stories soon!

Message from the TARDIS : There is an erratum in the font styles of the Glossary section of the mr*bdex. They're meant to be smaller, and kind of dark blue (not red). This should have been fixed by the time you read this. The Glossary is not a puzzle.

balthasar_s wrote: ...
Let's see the tirst few...
rrGGrrGr rrGGrrrr rrGGrrrG ...
In hex:
32 30 31 ...
In ascii the numbers always start with a 3.
It's a text!
Let's see in the source:
<span class="bl0nk">
<span class="bl1nk" >

Yep, you got it! The "bl0nk" and "bl1nk" were meant as a hint. I'll try to fix the time format, which was meant to be a slightly more intellibigle like "20150123.2039 UTC". Watch and Wait for It.

IN THE MOVIE "FOREGOATING FOR BAGPUNS"
THEY BLITZNAP PUNSAWS INTO THE OTT AND THEY SEEMINGLY OTTCOLORISE THE
COMFY CHAIR. IS THIS POSSIBLE, AND HOW MANY PUNSAWS WOULD IT TAKE?

(P.S. Decree in Subject...)
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

taixzo

Re: IF WE MAKE IT BACK ALIVE, YOU'RE NEVER NINJAING ANYTHING

Postby taixzo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:38 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
StormAngel wrote:Hi Yappo! *waves*
Does the Sustainable University Of Sustainability have a piano? I won't be bringing mine :(

Hi!

It probably does, if it has a music department... I won't be bringing my accordion though...

Bring a clerinert? :P
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:43 am UTC

The message is now:

Code: Select all

20150124.0848 UTC  Congratulations, you have found a message. Messages change over Time. Wait for it.

It's 09:43 UTC when I write it

mrob27 wrote:(or hopefully, you have a bot that downloads the current version and alerts you only when something has changed? More bots!!!)
Not yet. But that's what I wanted. Wait for it.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Eternal Density

Help!

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:14 am UTC

For Valentine's Day, you can get a binary heart shirt
(from comic #99!) in a limited run on TeeSpring
Um... they're having that again? When is it this year? I don't keep up on these things.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:14 am UTC

Here's the link: http://teespring.com/xkcdbinaryheart
The shirts are being sold for only 9 more dips, apparently.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0411

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

DON'T MEMEIFY ME BECAUSE I'M WUNGISH -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… that the author of these ONGs is still unknown?
Spoiler:
mscha and waveney speculated about this.
-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:17 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Here's the link: http://teespring.com/xkcdbinaryheart
They've reached their goal? No goal stated. They were only available in S(mall) and (e)X(tra)S, or is that just what was left after the 90 were sold?

I was thinking it was a neat purchase idea, but just S or XS? hah. No boobs. :P

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:17 pm UTC

OTT is still goONG

Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:33 pm UTC

I started a bot that will regullarly decode the mr*bdexmessage. If the message has changed it will be added to a new line in http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/mrobsniped/mrobdexmessage.txt. Let's wait for it and see what happens.

At first I had some problems until I noticed that I have to ignore the bl0nk at the end of the page:
mrob.com/time wrote: (np1K, np2K, np3K, np4K, np5K, np6K, np7K, np8K, np9K, np10K, np11K, np12K, np13K, np14K, np15K, np16K, ... );
Otherwise the next pages don't work because of bit shifting. The message is repeated several times because that's how it's encoded. I'm decoding all the mr*bdex pages.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0412

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

I ACCIDENTALLY A SILENTUNG, IS THIS BAD? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the seaish mountain?
Spoiler:
patzer did and speculated about Beanies.
-- posted by SilentBot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:41 pm UTC

azule wrote:
They've reached their goal? No goal stated. They were only available in S(mall) and (e)X(tra)S, or is that just what was left after the 90 were sold?

I'm not sure what you see on your end, but I can click on the "Buy it now" button and choose from several different sizes in a dropdown menu.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0413

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

I WAITED HALF A LUNGPIX FOR ONE HILLISH PIXEL. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the cosy temperature?
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits did.
SBN drew conclusions about the location of the author.
BlitzGirl drew conclusions about Cuegan's winter experiences.
yappobiscuits, SBN, HES and BlitzGirl continued the discussion.

(Where Cuegan lived before the flood, 120°F/49°C were quite normal in summer.
On winter days it could drop down to 80°F/27°C.
At night, however, it could get really cold.)
-- posted by SilentBot
Last edited by SilentTimer on Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:08 pm UTC

Cueganian village temperatures sound quite unmolpish. But I guess they were used to it.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:39 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:

I'm not sure what you see on your end, but I can click on the "Buy it now" button and choose from several different sizes in a dropdown menu.
BG, why u gotta fix my problem? :P Now other sizes are showing up, even without clicking the "buy it now" button.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:37 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Cueganian village temperatures sound quite unmolpish. But I guess they were used to it.

Kind of reminds me of Borrego Springs, which was a little west of a rather steambottlish body of water where I suppose you could make sand castles if you were desperate enough.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:41 am UTC

azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:

BG, why u gotta fix my problem? :P Now other sizes are showing up, even without clicking the "buy it now" button.

Does this mean you are buying one?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:37 am UTC

So this is what the basement is like.

It's not very dark. I can see lots of things, they're just not OTT things. A lot of them look like aspects of some external reality that has been in the background the whole time. A life grounded in physical undeniability. Others are new fictions, microcosms existing in neighboring bubbles of common interest in different, yet similar, communities. The OTT grows distant and harder to detect.

Content warning: depressing and possibly definitely melodramatic rambling
The Five Stages of Basementing
Spoiler:
The first stage of basementing is denial. The OTTer tells themselves they're still active, ignoring the diminishing pattern of activity on the thread. Their companions might reinforce this belief, wary of alienating further by using accusatory language.

The second stage of basementing is anger. The OTTer may blame the OTT for their troubles, accusing it of having wasted their time. In other cases, the OTTer may blame the outside world instead. In neither case is the grudge deep or very genuine, as the OTTers still recognizes the value of the target of their anger. Few remain in this stage very long.

The third stage of basementing is bargaining. The OTTer reasons with themselves that they can spend 10 minutes a day, or an hour a week, or even just a visit or two every month. They almost never settle on a well-defined schedule, as their increasingly outside-ruled lives inevitably interfere with intentions. A few very rigorous individuals may manage to maintain some semblance of regularity, but most in this stage drift ever further away.

The fourth stage of basementing is depression. The OTTer, feeling the guilt of neglecting their community, becomes wary of posting or even looking at the activity that's happened in their absence. References they see to the OTT become painful as the OTTer remembers what they're missing out on, but can't bring themselves to go back to. Internet activity to other sites, mind-numbing alternatives to the OTT, may increase.

The fifth and final stage of basementing is acceptance. The now former OTTer has come to accept that they can no longer claim the easily sought but Time-consumingly maintained title of "Active OTTer". A passing reference does not bother them too much, though they may occasionally reflect on what was and what might have been. They are able to appreciate their fond memories without an overwhelming pain of loss.

The Winds of Change
Spoiler:
I've been bargaining with basementhood for a while, and even this post is an attempt at asserting my continued OTTerhood. It's not so disastrous, now, to miss two, three, four weeks — were I so inclined, I could easily read through the 15 pages of posts made since I last checked the thread. Yet I find myself slipping into the depression stage, guilty for missing out on the thread even though I've no obligation to be here.

I guess there's a certain number of communities any one person can attempt to be a part of, and my quota is reaching a maximum. I've become a moderately active member of the handmade hero community, running a chatbot on the twitch IRC channel during streams and coding along to learn low-level programming for C. I'm also maintaining an increasing amount of social activity in the Outside world, enjoying the benefits of a narrower but deeper set of relationships and taking on the role of Dungeon Master in a local DnD group. This on top of trying to fight off the lazy doldrums of senioritis in my educational endeavors. Some things had to shift, and my internet browsings have been cut down significantly.

The OTT, fond of it though I am, has diminished in my life.

Epilogue: A Glimmer of Hope
Spoiler:
I would not write these words if I did not still feel like my opinion mattered here, if I did not still feel a sense of camaraderie with the individuals who engage in discourse in this digitally internetworked community. Though I may grow distant for now, I sense further change on the horizon, and I may yet find time to come back once my priorities have evolved to new configurations. I have faith that there will still be OTTers to receive me at that future date.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

OUR BUSES CATCH FIRE BY THEMSELVES, THEY DON'T NEED YOU

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:08 am UTC

I think this is big enough (Image) to post now.

@ucim{@AluisioASG - This thread is public; is it possible an outsider scraped the thread for your name?} Both with my real name and username, they'd have come across my GitHub first, which does list my default email address.

@lmjb1964{@azule{2bees1cupsnake} I don't get it...} Make sure it stays that way. (As usual, I've only caviar knowledge¹ on the matter.)

@HES{I find buses really unmolpish.} After spending a night in one every couple months, you get used to them.

I should start making arrangements for the South American Conference on Beanish.

@ucim{My pants opened tonight.} Sounds like something mine would do. Luckily not a common occurrence.

@EternalDensity{Also trains are treeish.} Yes, yes, yes. I'm going to ride an entire subway line next time I go to São Paulo. Unfortunately our own snakecastles are only scheduled to begin working by Yip 6 (if then), so for now I have to content myself with cargosnakes and baobabuses. (There's a touristic line to the coast, but it's a tad little bit expensive, and my wallet doesn't like one bit of that.)

@mrob27{Oh yes, I forgot that you grab new copies of my memes from time to time (or hopefully, you have a bot that downloads the current version and alerts you only when something has changed? More bots!!!)} Gist?

O! ChronosDragon!
Most time travelish of the TIME Travelers!
I may have a mission that requires unique abilities like yours.
But not yet. Maybe soon.
First I need a Constant. A way to settle in a single timeline, instead of hopping along the many possibilities of what's to come.
I remember having another task for you back then. I guess old is the new thing.

@ChronosDragon{I guess there's a certain number of communities any one person can attempt to be a part of} and for me that number is 1.

@ChronosDragon{I sense further change on the horizon}

Thought recorder, entry #undefined under Stories::Green, dated undefined:
> [Localized Time-Dilation Field ratio change elsewhere]
> Chronos: Did you feel that?

¹ Never saw, never ate, I just hear 'bout it

ETA: And to think that, back in the old days, I'd have to spoiler ketchups this long (in time).
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:28 am UTC

@ChronosDragon (and any OTThers to whom this applies)

1: There are many ways to Time.
2: Once an OTTer, always an OTTer.
3: You are missed here even if nobody says so.
4: You will always be welcome here.
5: Three, sir!

Now, whatever happened to Kieryn? He's been lost in the basement for a seaish amount of time, his own comix are stuck on 11 days (we have to wait to wait for it), and he hasn't responded to emails. I'm getting worried.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:28 am UTC

Sorry to hear that the basement currently has hold of you, ChronosDragon, but we'll look forward to your return and Wait for it. Image

Also what ninja Jose said.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:32 am UTC

Marsh'n blitzing to you from NP557/2213

Must post - this is much too exciting! In Time: Other people, kids, days, years, tents. Described by mscha as the "Information Era", the OTC's dialog is painting over large swaths of our ignorance, and highlighting how much remains.

Meanwhile, among the OTTers (taking spoilerage/caption cues from ucim):
  • buffygirl: returns, dangling prepositions mitgebracht
  • mathrec: quester etiquette
  • HAL9000: frame number, post number, it's all related
  • StratPlayer/Valarya: remorse about cupcakes and not reading your links
  • ZBerg: firstpost
  • mscha: mint mayo, yum
  • KarMann: Temporal Riparians
  • jjjdavidson: Old Time Religion
  • azule: wip, mip, yip!
  • Angelastic et. al.: blitzsniped!
  • mscha et. al.: cues/giraffe
Spoiler:
buffygirl (welcome back!) wrote:I am continually amazed at the emotion Randall can imbue stick figures with. (hate danging prepositions, but sometimes the correct way just sounds dumb)

This is what comes of the Germanic ancenstry of the English language. "imbue" in this context ~= "durchdringen" (rough translation "permeate through"). "Bedeutung dringt es durch." - "Meaning permeates it through."
I'm not a native German speaker so apologies if I butchered anything, it's the principle I'm getting at here: dangling prepositions are the English language's birthright. So, peace be you with...

mathrec wrote:There a few different ways that we could communicate etiquette to questers, if we have a consensus about what instructions to give them. Having read many posts from several questers, I think they generally want to be courteous members of the community, and guidelines would not detract from their enjoyment.

Hear, hear! (But how do I hear here?)

HAL9000 wrote:
PacMan wrote:Has somebody already calculated, when exactly the frame number will reach the current comic's number? It should be number 1210 and happen sometime on thursday, if my rough guess is correct. [...]

Not a particularly interesting number, except for the fact that Time will, at that point, account for more than half of all the images stored on imgs.xkcd.com. Has been calculated before, but nor for a while. It's interesting how close we're getting.

However, in an it's-all-related way, HAL9000's post count is exactly one higher (1211) as I read this. I guess that means I'm late in my blitz. See below for who to blame. (Either that, or it's a fencepost error.)

StratPlayer wrote:
Valarya wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
Valarya wrote:Lol that would be a great band name: Remorse and cupcakes. Glad you enjoyed them! :mrgreen:

Tried Googlfying it, but couldn't find a band that already has that name. But I did find you some sort of FanFic called Cupcakes Full of Remorse. Will that work?

to StratPlayer: Of course it was a Japanese thing. I'm not surprised! :P And it totally works...

Holy Shit!!! I saw you requote this and for a laugh, I went and actually read more than the first few lines of that, and, uh, errrr... What!?!?!?!?!?

Let's just say it's not exactly what I expected...

:shock: :oops: :shock: :oops: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:
Memo to self: ALWAYS read what you quote, link to, or reference FIRST, before using it in your post!!!

*facepalm*

Hmm. I just followed the link, like a good blitzer. Now you warn me? :P

ZBerg wrote:I may post again, maybe not. And here's to hoping I don't get buried in the annals of Time.

Here, I'll dig you up. You're now officially unburied.

mscha wrote:Mini mayo...

Misread as "Mint mayo" which sounds kind of... intriguing, actually...

KarMann wrote:1: having lived most of my life in Wisconsin, a much more riparian² & wetter place than this
2: That word is ripe for use for the name of a religious sect.

Hmm. If no one else has adopted this, I shall. We Temporal Riparians believe in "Time, Flowing Like a River". We also make overly ripe puns.

jjjdavidson wrote:Old Time Religion

Had to bring that forward. *LIKE* :-)

azule wrote:wip = week;
mip = month;
yip = year.

Ah, that's where it comes in...

higgs-boson, Red Hal, Angelastic: I'm not sure how to even quote this, but I've been seriously blitzsniped. Let me just say, geez, would you guys quit posting links that lead to things that lead to things that lead to things that lead to me spending 3 perfectly good newpix of blitzing time learning about wonderful things like The Doubleclicks. (Were you at this concert, Angelastic?! Woot!)

mscha wrote:We already have an official unit of length.
[...]
1 giraffe = 2.68 cue = 5 m. So 1 cue is 1.87 m

Hmm, I took my own measurements from this illustration, where the Great Lord Randall has given us both a set of giraffes and a Cueball, allowing us to calibrate the Cueball to the standard giraffe (5 outside meters). Given that in that illustration, Cueball is approximately 22 pixels high and the giraffes approximately 45 pixels high, it follows that one Cue is approximately 2.44 outside meters. I think your meter is too long.

Also, noted in that little-read column to the right: Dracomax - is that a new (sleepy) avatar? Sweet.

ETA: Um, urp? When does the reckoning happen, again? I've Seen You New Haircut?

Vytron wrote:Though, huh, it probably has the most I've Seen Your New Haircut lyrics on the entire thread, so here comes, fixed lyrics or something.

ergman

The cure for introspection is other people.

Postby ergman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:40 am UTC

Hi CD! Feel no obligation to stay, and enjoy your outside relations. Just know, as you and others have said, that you are welcome back whenever and in whichever quantities.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0415

Postby SilentTimer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:00 am UTC

CH*RPUNG TURTLEMOLPIES, HOW DO THEY WORK? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… that the author of these ONGs is still unknown?
-- posted by SilentBot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:41 am UTC

Marsh'n wrote:ETA: Um, urp? When does the reckoning happen, again? I've Seen You New Haircut?

Vytron wrote:Though, huh, it probably has the most I've Seen Your New Haircut lyrics on the entire thread, so here comes, fixed lyrics or something.

I doubt it's a sieve because original posts on the OTT are immune to sieving. That's actually what Vytron posted. Maybe it's a reference to something Outside or possibly autocorrect.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sustainabilizer

Re: CROUCHING BRAINSLUG, HIDDEN NEWPIXBOTTIFICATION

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:07 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I never saw the chirpycam. :(
[…]
ETA4: And off again, because of m2693.

Blindpost To Add: Episode 4 is online.

ETA: Have fun and take care, ChronosDragon!
(What about holding a speech about your findings?)
And while you are in the basement, please pass mscha our regards
and retry to invite him to the conference in his neighbourhood.

ETA2:
Marsh'n wrote:
buffygirl (welcome back!) wrote:I am continually amazed at the emotion Randall can imbue stick figures with. (hate danging prepositions, but sometimes the correct way just sounds dumb)

This is what comes of the Germanic ancenstry of the English language. "imbue" in this context ~= "durchdringen" (rough translation "permeate through"). "Bedeutung dringt es durch." - "Meaning permeates it through."
I'm not a native German speaker so apologies if I butchered anything, it's the principle I'm getting at here: dangling prepositions are the English language's birthright. So, peace be you with...

(Emphasis added.)
You called me?
Well, German has a feature called „Verbklammer“ (= “verb bracket”).
Spoiler:
There are many verbs like „durchdringen“ (= “to percolate”, “to imbue”, …), composed of a preposition „durch“ (= “through”) and a less specific verb „dringen“ (= “to cleave”, “to insist”). In some situations the composition is dissolved. Then the verb and the preposition take their typical places in the sentence, with the preposition always after the verb. If the sentence does not have a typical place for the preposition, it moves to the end of the sentence.

ETA3: For the record:
“I am continually amazed at the emotion Randall can imbue stick figures with.”
translates to:
„Ich bin immer wieder erstaunt angesichts der Emotionen, mit denen Randall Strichmännchen durchtränken kann.“
„Immer wieder” means “again and again” (because „immer wieder erstaunt“ is a fixed phrase in German), and „durchtränken“ is a more verbatim translation for “to imbue” than „durchdringen“ (which also has a „durch“ preposition). In any case there is no Verbklammer. :P
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:58 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

balthasar_s

bftf-0625

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:04 am UTC

I'M GOONG TO CH*RP MANIPS LIKE I'VE NEVER CH*RPED MANIPS BEFORE. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
-- posted by bothasar_p

Eternal Density

If only AutoMome worked for replies.

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:23 am UTC

Marsh'n wrote:higgs-boson, Red Hal, Angelastic: I'm not sure how to even quote this, but I've been seriously blitzsniped. Let me just say, geez, would you guys quit posting links that lead to things that lead to things that lead to things that lead to me spending 3 perfectly good newpix of blitzing time learning about wonderful things like The Doubleclicks. (Were you at this concert, Angelastic?! Woot!)
Oh, I saw them during Desert Bus 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk2ChxCrH6w
(Also they wrote the song "I Have Four PS4s". :P)

@BlitzGirl I always think of sieves as cheese-graters.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:56 am UTC

The cheesegrater yip of the Madness was before my Time, I'm afraid.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: Never cuddle a bus

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:36 am UTC

Mr. Hamply wrote:
Bongogoddess, Go! wrote:I, however, will be bringing my carry-on timpani. That's totally not a thing.

Bongos?

Well, I suppose I could bring bongos. That would be especially useful if someone was planning to present their talk in the form of a beat poetry reading.

HighwayEngineerSuperior wrote:
Tarmac wrote:
HEScool wrote:Laura, there is a particular road in London which is having some works done, and the distance from the crown line to the new kerb line is 1964mm. I would name it after you, but it's going to involve giant milling machines which would be a rather violent metaphor.

:D It would be molpish anyway.

We're going to have to re-profile Laura to prevent wet patches.

Um, what now? :shock:

Hugh and me both wrote:
June Bug wrote:(Or written my speech. :shock:)

Yeah. At this rate that will happen on the train :oops:

Heh. When I told a friend of mine about the conference, she said, "You're going to be writing your speech on the plane, aren't you?" :roll:

Mr. Obvious wrote:
Laura wrote:But I would love to do some stuff while I'm there, and I'd love to do it with other OTTers, so if anyone is ok with me tagging along somewhere

Why else are we internationally conglomerating?

Oh, yeah, I guess so. :D

ucim wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:My panto opened tonight. Was molpish. 1 down, 5 to go...

I read that as "My pants opened tonight. Was molpish. 1 down, 5 to go...". I'm not sure that was much of a mistake. :)

hee hee. I read it the same way.

ucim wrote:
paraphrased from memory, lmjb1964 wrote:That's totally not a thing.
It totally should be. And it could be. Digital rock drums exist; I bet a kickstarter campaign could make digital kettledrums that folded to fit carrion.

That is, in fact, something I always wanted to invent, but I was hampered by the fact that I don't know anything about electronics. :roll:

taixzo wrote:Bring a clerinert? :P

Ermagerd!

Yay, I saw the chirpycam, thanks Sustainabilizer!
Verbklammer, ja!

Eternal Density wrote:
For Valentine's Day, you can get a binary heart shirt(from comic #99!) in a limited run on TeeSpring
Um... they're having that again? When is it this year? I don't keep up on these things.

What, Valentine's Day? Usually February 14, but check your local listings.

I won't be back home till February 15. It's been so long since Valentine's Day was something I cared about that I didn't even think about it when planning my trip. Fortunately, my new friend is happy to plan something for the 15th instead. :D

Aw, CD, that post was kinda *ndish. Well, not totally; sounds like you have a lot of treeish things going on, and that's great! And of course you're always an OTTer, and we all know there are many ways to TIme. It's already been well-said by others, but you always have a home here, so pop out of the basement when you can and say hello.

AluisioASG wrote:@ChronosDragon{I guess there's a certain number of communities any one person can attempt to be a part of} and for me that number is 1.

I don't always follow online communities, but when I do, I follow the OTT. Stay molpish, my friends. :)

Treeish blitz report, Marsh'n!

ETA Almost forgot, for decree: I'm eager to see what new message balthadetective finds in the mr*bdex. And I wish I knew how to ENHANCE, because I always figure there's something hiding in the balthaongs. And we know there are secrets in ti1.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

SilentTimer

Postby SilentTimer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:29 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Blindpost To Add: Episode 4 is online.

Did you notice …
… the Beanie?
Spoiler:
chirpies-4-beanie.jpg
At 8:41am (UTC) he came to feed the chirpies.

StormAngel

LEAVE THE RABTOR. WHY DID YOU HAVE A RABTOR?

Postby StormAngel » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:55 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
StormAngel wrote:Does the Sustainable University Of Sustainability have a piano? I won't be bringing mine :(

It does not have one, but I'll be bringing mine. :)
It's a digital one, a Yamaha YDP-161, with a separate stand and a self-made 3-pedal unit to make it portable. You may use it if you handle it with care.
Also, I'm quite sure that we'll find a tripod for you.

Neat! The tripod will be great. I assure you, I can be *CRASH* very careful?
Sustainabilizer wrote:ETA: And? Did he bring your password?

Yes, I have my password, so the possibility of my attendance is >= 1!
I can relax now Image
And his leopad has a molpish OTTerbox, which is molpish also.
lmjb1964 wrote:StormAngel's OTTercomic and Molpish Birthdip generator, and the fact that he's posting again.

I'm bag! I'm bag from the basement!

Related to birthdips; I made this book-cover last wip as an extra present for ED. I recreated it from this picture on the Sufficient Velocity fora, which was in turn inspired by a discussion of HERESY, Hotdog Vending, and Spanish Inquisitions.
Riverish preview:
Spoiler:
Last edited by StormAngel on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

balthasar_s

Re: Never cuddle a bus

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:00 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:ETA Almost forgot, for decree: I'm eager to see what new message balthadetective finds in the mr*bdex. And I wish I knew how to ENHANCE, because I always figure there's something hiding in the balthaongs. And we know there are secrets in ti1.

The message changed, now it is

20150125.0527 UTC  Mrorl has asked his friend, the great bOTTifactor Balthacarius, to aid in receiving these messages. Messages change over Time. Please continue to Wait for it.
Now the message appears only once, the rest is allzeroes. It's not dynamically generated. I'm downloading it every 12 minutes.!. But it changes less often.

I suspect something:
You remember what was going on before the bftf was discovered and started? I think we have something similar going on now. I'm waiting for it.

!Isn't that too much for your botcastle? I'm downloading every 12 minutes, all 18 pages, with a 2 seconds delay between the pages.
BSTA

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:32 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
Sustainabilizer wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I never saw the chirpycam. :(
[…]
ETA4: And off again, because of m2693.

Blindpost To Add: Episode 4 is online.

Finally got it figured out! Downloaded VLC from videolan.org, started it up, clicked Media, and then clicked open Network stream and pasted in
http://icecast.cvh-server.de:1190/chirpies.ogg

Behold! Chirpies! (Missed the beanie though.)

Good day to watch chirpies on organized sand, as I have to be on my WFFS organized sand all day, waiting for other people to do their work, in case they have questions. (On the plus side, I actually get wolpy food funds for it. )
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0417

Postby SilentTimer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

WOWTERFALLISH SIGCOURAGEMENT IS THE LATEST SUNGLE OFF OF THE NEWEST VHF ALBUM. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… what Cuegan are doing?
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP did.
Cuegan's pose is the same as in m28.
-- posted by SilentBot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:23 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Though I may grow distant for now, I sense further change on the horizon, and I may yet find time to come back once my priorities have evolved to new configurations. I have faith that there will still be OTTers to receive me at that future date.

We will
Spoiler:
wait for it.
AluisioASG wrote:<snip> snakecastles <snip>

I approve. :)

Marsh'n wrote:Hear, hear! (But how do I hear here?)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
I couldn't decide which picture was most appropriate.
SBN wrote:Good day to watch chirpies on organized sand, as I have to be on my WFFS organized sand all day, waiting for other people to do their work, in case they have questions. (On the plus side, I actually get wolpy food funds for it. )

Who otther than an OTTer would be better suited to make a living from Waiting for it? Molpish!

SilentTimer wrote:Did you notice …
… what Cuegan are doing?
Spoiler:

Following the link, I found in my post:
one year ago, I wrote:Also, I'll finally start my field trip in a few nopix.

One year later, I'm on a field trip again. Another indication for the loopists! (or the same again?)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:43 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
SBN wrote:Good day to watch chirpies on organized sand, as I have to be on my WFFS organized sand all day, waiting for other people to do their work, in case they have questions. (On the plus side, I actually get wolpy food funds for it. )

Who otther than an OTTer would be better suited to make a living from Waiting for it? Molpish!

Indeed! My MFFS has a similar amount of waiting at times. Say we have processes A, B, C and D, which happen in that order. I do B and D. I can't do D because I'm waiting for C, but I can't do the next B because the same people who are doing C need to do the next A and they're busy doing C. We need more of the A and C people.
He/Him/His Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:23 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP wrote:

Spoiler:
Indeed! My MFFS has a similar amount of waiting at times. Say we have processes A, B, C and D, which happen in that order. I do B and D. I can't do D because I'm waiting for C, but I can't do the next B because the same people who are doing C need to do the next A and they're busy doing C.
We need more of the A and C people.

Spoiler:
A-C-A-C-A-C-A-C
A-C-A-C-A-C-A-C
A-C-A-C-A-C-A-C
B-D-B-D
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:50 pm UTC

This is how I do the mr*bdex decoding:

sniped.awk:

BEGIN{
   RS="<"
}
{
   if($0 ~ /id=\"content\"/) #")
      ok=1
   if($0 ~ /href=\"(index.html)?#contents\"/) #")
      ok=""
   if(ok!="")
   {
      if($0 ~ /class=\"bl0nk\"/) #")
         a=a "0"
      if($0 ~ /class=\"bl1nk\"/) #")
         a=a "1"
   }
}
END{
   b=length(a)
   for(i=0;i<b;i+=8)
   {
      d=substr(a,i+1,8)
      e=0
      for(j=1;j<=8;j+=1)
      {
         e=e*2+substr(d,j,1)
      }
      printf("%c",e);
   }
   print ""
}

sniped2.awk:

#!/usr/bin/mawk -f
BEGIN{
   lasttemp="/eizm/pro/mrobsniped/lasttemp"
   htmltemp="/eizm/pro/mrobsniped/htmltemp"
   htmltmp2="/eizm/pro/mrobsniped/htmltmp2"
   result="/eizm/www/time/mrobsniped/mrobdexmessage.txt"
   snipedawk="/eizm/pro/mrobsniped/sniped.awk"
   wget="/usr/bin/wget"
   mawk="/usr/bin/mawk"
   cat="/bin/cat"
   sleep="/bin/sleep"

getline last < lasttemp
   close(lasttemp)

for(i=1;i<=18;++i)
   {
      if(i==1)
         system(wget" mrob.com/time -q -U mrobsniped-blinkenstein -O "htmltemp)
      else
      {
         system(wget" mrob.com/time/index-"i".html -q -U mrobsniped-blinkenstein -O "htmltmp2)
         system (cat" "htmltmp2" >> "htmltemp)
         system(sleep" 2")
      }
   }
   system(mawk" -f "snipedawk" "htmltemp" > "lasttemp)

getline this < lasttemp
   close(lasttemp)

if(this==last)
      exit

r13in ="ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
   r13out="NOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklm"
   len=length(r13in)

for(i=1;i<=len;++i)
   {
      rot13[substr(r13in,i,1)]=substr(r13out,i,1)
   }

len=length(this)
   for(i=1;i<=len;++i)
   {
      ch=substr(this,i,1)
      if(ch~/[A-Za-z]/)
         out=out rot13[ch]
      else
         out=out ch
   }
   print out "\n" >> result
   close(result)
}
{

}

It wasdone quickly and it's visible in the code.

There is a #") because the syntax highlighting fails when there is an \" inside a / /.

The mr*bdex messages and bOTTeriada mentions in mrob27's recent post made me thing of this fragment of the Cyberiad:
All the necessary equipment quickly thrown together, they gathered up the local stars and arranged them in a great sign, a sign that would be visible at truly incalculable distances. Only blue giants were used for the first word—to get the cosmic reader's attention—and lesser stellar material made up the others. The advertisement read: TWO Distinguished Constructors Seek Em-ployment Commensurate with Their Skill and Above All Lucrative, Hence Preferably at the Court of a Well-heeled King (Should Have His Own Kingdom), Terms to Be Arranged.

Also, the stars are blinking.
BSTA

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:28 pm UTC

LONG needle-pulled thONG!
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:39 pm UTC

And to think, we're closer to 2300 pages now!

Steakish "Hotdog Vendor" cover, StormAngel! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”