1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ergman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:22 pm UTC

shh. it's Allllllllllllll RELATED :wink:
edit:
oh dayum! pope!
uhhh...
Discuss external RELATED things so jovialbard will feel more relevant?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:31 pm UTC

1190 Posts!

I'd like to share a present with the OTT community: the Desktop OTT App.

The rationale: several people at the meetup mentioned that they had been having problems with userscripts, and I thought, if things aren't working right with all the browsers we have already, let's add a new one (ni ni ni chupabracadabra.) But let's make it RELATED! And make it designed specifically for the sole purpose of browsing the OTT.

It is not finished yet. I'm still trying to make it log in to the fora (so that it can, you know, actually create posts), and I don't have it packaged nicely. But that will come soon. For now, do as my new "webpage loading" screen says and

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:07 pm UTC

Happy 1190 posts, taixzo! Molpish browser4!
Spoiler:
jovialbard wrote:
Spoiler:
For Decree: I need to trust that I have something relevant or interesting to say. I don't post because I usually think I don't. Partly because there are now close to a thousand NPs that I haven't read, so I don't feel like I know what's relevant, and my biggest anxiety is being a nuisance. Also, the basement. It keeps me pretty busy, so it's hard to stick around long enough to contribute, particularly when almost everything is meta now. Talking about the community with less and less of an external subject to which I could connect as I drift further and further from the community which increasingly becomes the subject of discussion... There was a 90% chance just a second ago that I was going to delete this post thinking it was irrelevent. Then I realized that there was a 90% chance and went with the 10% just for the sheer meta-ness of it all. Now there's a 99% chance that I will post it...

okay.

Hi jovialbard! Thanks for posting! I often don't know either whether my posts are relevant or not, but I usually come to the conclusion: It's all RELATED, so let's post! Plus, the more OTTers, the better!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

Eating a cookie

Postby HES » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:09 pm UTC

Ooh, treeish taixzo.
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:25 pm UTC

taixzo that's awesomeful!
taixzo wrote:And make it designed specifically for the sole purpose of browsing the OTT.
Does this mean it automatically redirects you to the OTT when you open a TVTropes link? You'd get a Fields medal for that, and be responsible for a 11.90% increase in GNP. Happy 1190 exclamation point (it's a long way to 1190 factorial).

jovialbard wrote:...there are now close to a thousand NPs that I haven't read, so I don't feel like I know what's relevant
It's all RELATED! And if you somehow happen to break the universe by posting something that's not related, we'll make it related in no time. Chronotrasnponder action will make it have been related, the nonrelatedness will have never happened, and everything will be right with the world. Remember that there are many ways to Time, and the NewPages unread are "molpishness in the bank", saved for a rainy day.

Neil_Boekend wrote:Nope, still dead. See the avatar?
Yes, I noticed your ghostliness in it; it's just that when a person dies repeatedly sometimes I can lose track. And aren't you always haunting someone else, from someone's POV?

Somewhere I seem to remember someone (was it Marsh'n on the IRC?) asking if I'm the new RELATED person now that Stratplayer has gone to the basement... I doubt that I could fill his shoes, but perhaps I am him, since we are all related. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:34 pm UTC

Ucim you have a point. Better?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:34 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:For Decree: I need to trust that I have something relevant or interesting to say. I don't post because I usually think I don't. Partly because there are now close to a thousand NPs that I haven't read, so I don't feel like I know what's relevant, and my biggest anxiety is being a nuisance. Also, the basement. It keeps me pretty busy, so it's hard to stick around long enough to contribute, particularly when almost everything is meta now. Talking about the community with less and less of an external subject to which I could connect as I drift further and further from the community which increasingly becomes the subject of discussion... There was a 90% chance just a second ago that I was going to delete this post thinking it was irrelevent. Then I realized that there was a 90% chance and went with the 10% just for the sheer meta-ness of it all. Now there's a 99% chance that I will post it...

okay.

Same here, jovialbard. But then I pop out of the basement once every couple months and post something, and it always turns RELATED. Then I realize that these people are the same people that I've always loved posting with, regardless of subject. :wink:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:40 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Better?
AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:52 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

What are you screaming about? I'm the one being haunted!
He/Him/His Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:54 pm UTC

HES wrote:
ucim wrote:

What are you screaming about? I'm the one being haunted!

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np657

Postby mscha » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

GRONGIER...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MOLPYSNAKES RUN WHEN A GOOD DECREE GOES TO THE PAST

-- posted by randompixbot

Eternal Density

1.064987... x10^3145

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:53 pm UTC

I learned a bit about Carnival due to Google directing me to the page about Rose Mondip.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:16 pm UTC

For posterity, Neil's location reads : "Haunting you"
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:54 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:For Decree: I need to trust that I have something relevant or interesting to say. I don't post because I usually think I don't.

Valarya wrote:Same here, jovialbard.

I must say this surprises me. I think of both of you as "regulars" at the table/bar/castle and myself as an "outsider" who's just managed to squeak in through the door/sneak into the frame before the fade. In my blitzing experience, there are lots of posts whose relevance is to the OTT rather than the OTC, but that doesn't make them less interesting. Just in these exchanges, you've both proven the relevance and interestingness of your own "things to say", because right now, ucim is wondering about trust, and "doesn't know how it works", and "wants to find out".

ucim wrote:In what ways do you need to trust when you post here, and what tends to keep you from doing so?

ergman wrote:Discuss external RELATED things so jovialbard will feel more relevant?

Well, trust and fear (my interpretation of "keeps you from doing so") are both internal (within the OTT) and Outside. So maybe I can hit both decrees at once (before another NP comes in and decrees OTTerwise). I also share the "relevance" concern, particularly when I'm blitzing. For me this is usually superceded by a "are signposts welcome?" fear, only partly assuaged by seeing sigcouragement that posts from the before-when make the after-when more molpish. I find a lot of wonderful things before-when, like your steakish OTTification @jovialbard (which I wish we'd been able to sing together live!) ... but then I assume you've all seen them and don't need to be reminded about how treeish they are. Since OTTcon, however, I am learning that there are new OTTers who have not blitzed everything, and for whom some of these wonders of the past can be found through my temporal archaeology.

Conversely, now that I'm glued to the present, it's easier to convince myself that I'm saying something RELATED to what's being discussed, but harder to convince myself that I'm not blathering when I do so. Like now.

HES wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I just realized: the social anxiety we were all afraid of didn't seem much of a problem.

[...] I think perhaps because we knew enough about each other to have things to talk about.

It kicked in for me twice at the outset, and then flutterbeewinged itself away. First, when I saw a group who had to be OTTers coming in the long-bill-molpy-castle door as I was checking in, but I couldn't get up the nerve to more than squeak out the river is small???(please don't think I'm a weirdo for saying that to you)(they didn't hear me, they're leaving, oh no!). Second, at breakfast the next day when my mind was racing around in (they all met each other last night and now they're all friends and I'm an outsider and they'll never accept me as one of them). And then you did, and it was ubermolpish. Though I'm still sad I didn't come earlier.
I think in general, many of us (humans, not just OTTers) have a hard time turning our perspectives around to see ourselves from the outside. I agonize over my own posts and whether they're molpish enough, but I almost() never think anyone else's post is irrelevant or unwanted.

@taixzo: The OTApp looks great - what platforms do you expect it to run on?
@Neil_Boekend: EEK :shock: ... and very blackenedly steakish.

()Wanting to be truthful here rather than simply nice - I am sometimes judgmental and think mean things. But the only kind of posts I can recall setting this off are (a) trolling, which is very rare here, and (b) "me too", which is almost as rare. Often "me too" would be a great post if whoever was writing it had been willing to share more, but for some reason they didn't elect to share the uniqueness that each of us has lurking behind our "me toos."

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

Poor past-micdi, not able to connect before the conference. It made me sad. Sounds like it improved afterward, thenceforth.

jovialbard wrote:Also, the basement. It keeps me pretty busy, so it's hard to stick around long enough to contribute, particularly when almost everything is meta now. Talking about the community with less and less of an external subject to which I could connect as I drift further and further from the community which increasingly becomes the subject of discussion...
At first I misunderstood what you meant by meta. Maybe you also mean discussion about discussion? This is a real thing, but it has been there from the beginning, alongside "have you noticed the JavaScript?". It could be labelled noise while you're looking for signal. What signal do you look forward to discussing? As others have said, you should just go for it. The topic du jour is at your fingertips.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:32 pm UTC

Marsh'n wrote:I also share the "relevance" concern, particularly when I'm blitzing. For me this is usually superceded by a "are signposts welcome?" fear, only partly assuaged by seeing sigcouragement that posts from the before-when make the after-when more molpish. I find a lot of wonderful things before-when, like your steakish OTTification @jovialbard (which I wish we'd been able to sing together live!) ... but then I assume you've all seen them and don't need to be reminded about how treeish they are. Since OTTcon, however, I am learning that there are new OTTers who have not blitzed everything, and for whom some of these wonders of the past can be found through my temporal archaeology.

One of the best ways to blitz the thread of time is to blitz another blitzers signposts :) When I first came to the thread of time I used blitzgirl for just such a purpose. She came to the thread before me, but her quest provided me with perspective on what had happened in the past and helped me get a handle on Time, and on the community and it's evolution. Then after I fell down the basement stairs (which hurts, btw) I used mrob for a bit. So from my perspective, signposts are great. I wish someone would create a signpost account and post a weekly or bimonthly digest of what's been going on in the ott. Then I could search that user's posts and feel like I have a handle on what's been going on lately. That might be disruptive to regular readers though...

Conversely, now that I'm glued to the present, it's easier to convince myself that I'm saying something RELATED to what's being discussed, but harder to convince myself that I'm not blathering when I do so. Like now.

If you feel like you're blathering, just sing the word blathering repeatedly to the mario dungeon theme. Then it will be impossible to take yourself seriously.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:35 pm UTC

I love the signposts for the nostalgia they tend to stir up.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:45 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote: I wish someone would create a signpost account and post a weekly or bimonthly digest of what's been going on in the ott. Then I could search that user's posts and feel like I have a handle on what's been going on lately. That might be disruptive to regular readers though...

I actually kind of love this idea. It's like an OTTer newspaper!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:51 pm UTC

azule wrote: What signal do you look forward to discussing? As others have said, you should just go for it. The topic du jour is at your fingertips.

Indeed. Go for it. I happened to be listening to The Diane Rehm show todip, while they lamented how the internet is ruining everything. (Ok, I'm exaggerating greatly.) But they did discuss how the "Natives" to the online world weren't learning how to communicate face-to-face, etc. I wanted to mention OTTerCon, and how our piece of the internet wasn't ruining in person communication at all, but instead had resulted in people from 3 continents (is that right? Did I miss any?) had gathered in one place, meeting face-to-face, because of the internet.

Love the OTTer newspaper idea.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:55 pm UTC

azule wrote:At first I misunderstood what you meant by meta. Maybe you also mean discussion about discussion? This is a real thing, but it has been there from the beginning, alongside "have you noticed the JavaScript?". It could be labelled noise while you're looking for signal.

Sorry, sometimes I just use the best word on hand. Yes, that's close to what I meant. You're right, it's been there from the beginning, and I don't mean to bemoan that. The ott's self referential nature is a large part of it's charm. Religions, languages, ottifications. Fantastic, but also hard to keep up with as they spiral around each other in a tight ball and you don't know what thread to pull. It's a 2000 page inside joke. The most welcoming inside joke you're likely to find, but do you know what I mean? As I feel myself slip further away from the joke, I feel a deepening sense of regret or loss, but I also don't think I can keep my hold on it... it's just spinning too fast, even when it's slow. Like one of those playground things that go round and round, the further you get from the edge, the more you feel the effects of it... </wax poetic>

@SBN: The whole internet destroys communication thing is dumb. It's dumb in the same way as saying video games make people stupid or violent is dumb. It's dumb in the same way that saying eating fat will make you fat is dumb (as nutritionists are now learning). The universe consists of transformative processes. It's bad logic to just assume that if A is the input then A will be the output. You get what you make, not what you started with. The internet connects people, violent video games and movies tend to immunize against violence not encourage it, and eating fat gives you a slow burning source of energy that does not trigger an insulin response as readily as carbs or sugar. Reality resists simplicity as mr. john green would say.
Last edited by jovialbard on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:22 pm UTC

And here I am, still in Frankfurt Airport more than a day after arriving; the flight last night was canceled due to bad weather conditions at my connecting airport, so I had to wait for the next day's.

Marsh'n wrote:@taixzo: The OTApp looks great - what platforms do you expect it to run on?

I'm developing it on OSX. But it is using App.js, so I expect to have versions for Mac, Windows, and both 32 and 64 bit Linux.

Other updates: I've got logins working, and am working on multi-quote. Currently I need to figure out a reliable way to convert HTML to BBCode...wait a minute. Just had an idea while typing this: the forum already does that, so I can just ask it to quote a post! Maybe. Let's test that.

*returns to organized sand*
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:25 pm UTC

Taixo that is very unmolpish. I do hope the airport has a a suitable chocolate supply?

he/him/his

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:31 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
jovialbard wrote: I wish someone would create a signpost account and post a weekly or bimonthly digest of what's been going on in the ott. Then I could search that user's posts and feel like I have a handle on what's been going on lately. That might be disruptive to regular readers though...

I actually kind of love this idea. It's like an OTTer newspaper!

Hey, balthasar_s, if your redundant OTTclone software had room for a (non-redundant-to-forums.xkcd.com) board, would it be possible for people who had logins to the OTTclone to then create The Wiply OTTernews? (I can imagine an aggregate post made by blitzers and then pulled together by an editor, perhaps a bottish one and perhaps a human one...) And, if someone created an appropriate NON-redundant username in the OTT, would it be molpish to have the OTTernews republished to this username by bot?

It's just a thought, not asking for you to do the work to implement, just trying to research the possibilities inspired by @jovialbard here...

ETA:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Taixo that is very unmolpish. I do hope the airport has a a suitable chocolate supply?

Unmolpish indeed. Is there anything that the OTTnet can supply you for your mental sustenance while you Wait For It?

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:40 pm UTC

HES wrote:What are you screaming about? I'm the one being haunted!
Oh dear, a haunted HES!

Marsh'n wrote: I find a lot of wonderful things before-when, like your steakish OTTification @jovialbard (which I wish we'd been able to sing together live!) ... but then I assume you've all seen them and don't need to be reminded about how treeish they are.
I just spend a few nopix wandering through the seaish halls of the Past, discovering (and rediscovering) much molpishness that had been long forgotten Zancleanly washed over with even more recent molpishness.

jovialbard wrote:As I feel myself slip further away from the joke, I feel a deepening sense of regret or loss, but I also don't think I can keep my hold on it... it's just spinning too fast, even when it's slow.

A reading from the Boek of Time:

In the beginning, GLR created the Megan and the Cue. And the Cue was without brain, and void, and discussion was over the fate of the waters. And GLR said "let there be javascript". And there was javascript. And the evening and the morning were five hundred posts.
[...]
And it came to pass that the Cuegan were delivered safely from the rages of the sea, and were deposited on dry land in a garden to begin anew, along with all of their charge. And they did disembark, and give thanks. And they went to explore their Eden, which they did not name thus, but thus it was, and to discover their new home. And in the five newpix that followed, one each for the Five Words Of Revelation, did GLR leave a message, and that message was "The End". But it was not so. For unto this very forum did he in that manner breathe True Life, that it would continue long after its birthing was over and done.
[...]
Thus, like the Cuegan before us, we are deposited in our very own Eden, that we be molpish, and Ottify. We are like drops unto the sea, seemingly nothing next to the sea, but together we make up the sea. At the same Time we are also like unto grains of sand, each one different from the other, that our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly. None of us is complete unto ourselves, but what we add, being incomplete, completes the whole. This is as it should be, as it must be, and as it is.

Post at will, just don't slash Nick. :)

I think the scribes have been lax at keeping the BlitzGospels up to date. I'm going to have to look into that. Where's Second Scribe when you need her? :)

Jose

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0551

Postby SilentTimer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

AND WHY DO YOU WORRY ABOUT LAPLEOPARDS? CONSIDER THE OTTERUNGS OF THE BEACH, HOW THEY ONG: THEY NEITHER THWAP NOR KETCHUP. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the map?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

Eternal Density

I'm bad at thinking of answers to decrees.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:09 pm UTC

My social anxiety left me literally out in the cold for an hour, because a) I did a bad job of checking a café for OTTers (not even trying speaking to anyone) b) I didn't want to be weird by waiting in what might in a wrong café or even looking in after I'd already looked and left once, even though itmsold food and I was overdue for eating some, and c) putting off sending a text message to an OTTer whose number I had but didn't feel comfortable messaging since I didn't know them IRL.

Steambottle, I'm not far off 30. I said in my talk that having children helps mature people, and when our parents were my age they had 2 (us). I can't imagine having that responsibility.
Wow, oversharing much?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:23 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:My social anxiety left me literally out in the cold for an hour, because a) I did a bad job of checking a café for OTTers...
This reminds me of what I did, not for social anxiety, but rather for stupidity. I was to have a production meeting half an hour away, and I have the keys to the place, but I forgot them and the door was locked. So, I waited for the rest of the gang to show up. One girl did (but she was new and did not have the keys), so the two of us waited outside and chatted about this and that... and still nobody showed up. We spent like half an hour in this state; I don't remember what prompted it but eventually one of us realized there were people inside.

Knock knock knock. The door opens; the meeting had been going on all along.

I have another story like this, again not due to social anxiety but rather cerebral density. Maybe I'll share in another post some time. Annoy TheMinim in the meanwhile. :)

Jose

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:50 pm UTC

I went to Hungary for a conference thingy once. I walked around the city for a few hours very dehydrated because I was too afraid to go inside a store and buy water. When I think about things like that, I realize that at least I'm making progress, I think I could buy a bottle of water [in under 2 or 3 hours] if I went to Hungary today. I think...

@future-Marsh'n: derp, fixed :)
Last edited by jovialbard on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:13 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:03 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:@SBN: The whole internet destroys communication thing is dumb. It's dumb in the same way as saying video games make people stupid or violent is dumb. It's dumb in the same way that saying eating fat will make you fat is dumb (as nutritionists are now learning). The universe consists of transformative processes. It's bad logic to just assume that if A is the input then A will be the output. You get what you make, not what you started with. The internet connects people, violent video games and movies tend to immunize against violence not encourage it, and eating fat gives you a slow burning source of energy that does not trigger an insulin response as readily as carbs or sugar. Reality resists simplicity as mr. john green would say.

Yep. I think much of the problem that the folks on the show were having was that their children were internet natives, but they themselves were not. So it wasn't that the children weren't communicating, is they were communicating in a way the parents couldn't understand. So, naturally, the parents blamed the method, instead of trying to learn the new language.

Eternal Density wrote:Steambottle, I'm not far off 30. I said in my talk that having children helps mature people, and when our parents were my age they had 2 (us). I can't imagine having that responsibility.
Wow, oversharing much?

I'll tell you a secret. Most parents can't imagine having that responsibility when they start. Sometimes I still can't, and my oldest isn't much younger than you. It's not something you can be fully prepared for.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Marsh'n

Alternative greeting non-standard

Postby Marsh'n » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:06 pm UTC

In IRC discussion, mrob(27) and balthasar_s and jovialbard(lurking) and I have been exploring the social anxiety question as relates to the initial greeting of other suspected, but unconfirmed OTTers in the Outside. I hold (from personal experience) that while "The River is Small!" is a wonderful thing to say to a known OTTer, it's a very hard way to start a conversation with an unknown person. Thus, in the search for conflicting standards, we came up with a few other ideas. These probably depend on having the conversation somewhere that English can be spoken naturally, so we don't know how they translate to various geographies...

Brave OTTer #1: "Wait for it!"
Brave OTTer #2: "Molpishly!"
Reassured OTTer #1: "Treeish! It's so wowterful to meet another OTTer in person!"

and

Brave OTTer #1: "Wait for it!"
Not-feeling-the-bravery OTTer #2: "I wait for it all the time, do you?"
Not-yet-entirely-certain OTTer #1: "I sometimes find myself waiting for a certain comic I really like to come out..."

If there are other things that helped you (Helper'd you?) or worked well, please share, particularly if you feel that you were holding back due to social anxiety and someone or something helped to overcome that for you. I have full faith there will be otterOTTercons and otter OTTers will benefit from our RUNthrough.

jovialbard wrote:I went to Hungry for a conference thingy once. I walked around the city for a few hours very dehydrated because I was too afraid to go inside a store and buy water.

Please, don't take offense at my playing off a tiny and meaningless typo; I hope you think this is funny as well: You went to hungry and wound up thirsty? (Very glad to hear it's getting better for you, by the way.)

ETA: Some clarity, I hope.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:14 pm UTC

azule wrote:
jovialbard wrote:Also, the basement. It keeps me pretty busy, so it's hard to stick around long enough to contribute, particularly when almost everything is meta now. Talking about the community with less and less of an external subject to which I could connect as I drift further and further from the community which increasingly becomes the subject of discussion...
At first I misunderstood what you meant by meta. Maybe you also mean discussion about discussion? This is a real thing, but it has been there from the beginning, alongside "have you noticed the JavaScript?". It could be labelled noise while you're looking for signal. What signal do you look forward to discussing? As others have said, you should just go for it. The topic du jour is at your fingertips.

That was steakishly said, azule. Image

Neil_Boekend wrote:I love the signposts for the nostalgia they tend to stir up.

The nostalgia is the best part, methinks. Do you xuys realize that in just one short mip it'll be the 2 year anniversary of the beginning of Time? Hard to imagine. What a long, strange MOLPISH trip it's been. :mrgreen:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:For Decree: I need to trust that I have something relevant or interesting to say. I don't post because I usually think I don't. Partly because there are now close to a thousand NPs that I haven't read, so I don't feel like I know what's relevant, and my biggest anxiety is being a nuisance. Also, the basement. It keeps me pretty busy, so it's hard to stick around long enough to contribute, particularly when almost everything is meta now. Talking about the community with less and less of an external subject to which I could connect as I drift further and further from the community which increasingly becomes the subject of discussion... There was a 90% chance just a second ago that I was going to delete this post thinking it was irrelevent. Then I realized that there was a 90% chance and went with the 10% just for the sheer meta-ness of it all. Now there's a 99% chance that I will post it...

okay.

That post was so utterly GOOMHJ that I must reply immediately without further ketchup.
Let's see, what witty, interesting, sympathetic and attention-grabbing aphorism could possibly be worthy?
Spoiler:
Me too.

ETA.
Well. I answered JovialBard without reading the posts following. Marsh'n made a post which may be seen to have influenced my reply, but at the time I posted I hadn't yet read that.
I intended humour. Of course. Humour along the lines of:
The Duke Of Wellington's Farewell Speech To His Mother On The Eve Of His Departure For A Battle Which Would Change The Course Of Human History.
Spoiler:
Bye, Mum.

The last few posts on Social Anxiety were Molpish. I relate, you relate, he she or it relates. It's all related.
Last edited by MistyCat on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

Link

Re: Alternative greeting non-standard

Postby Link » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:42 pm UTC

MistyCat wrote:

okay.

That post was so utterly GOOMHJ that I must reply immediately without further ketchup.
Let's see, what witty, interesting, sympathetic and attention-grabbing aphorism could possibly be worthy?
Spoiler:
Me too.
Very, very much agreed!

Marsh'n wrote:I hold (from personal experience) that while "The River is Small!" is a wonderful thing to say to a known OTTer, it's a very hard way to start a conversation with an unknown person.
Y'know, I really wish I had the courage to very suspiciously walk up to a random stranger and mutter "The River Is Small" like I'm some sort of spy. (I think I'd explode if they replied "The Sea Is Big"!)

Marsh'n wrote:You went to hungry and wound up thirsty?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0675

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

LITTLEST BONGS BROTHER IS THE HERO THE TARDIS DESERVES, BUT NOT THE ONE IT NEEDS RIGHT NOW. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.
-- posted by lmjbot

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:05 pm UTC

MistyCat wrote:That post was so utterly GOOMHJ that I must reply immediately without further ketchup.
Spoiler:
Me too.

And that, MistyCat, is a lovely example of how you can say what you spoilered elegantly and meaningfully and creatively all at once. And yet, you've posted relevant an interesting things about bottification, Q04B, coma schedules... so I find that like jovialbard you must be underestimating the interest of things-posted-by-you.

I had been planning to reply to your coma schedule post but the page got away from me... and now I'm realising these questions seem kinda personal and you should feel free to let them crumble into the sea unanswered, but I'm curious so I'll ask. Is the "don't sleep at all" driven by Outside factors or more of a "not getting around to it?" How much of your characterization has been an all-your-life experience and how much has it altered with time? I knew a fellow in grad school who regularly slept ~4nopix/nip and seemed no less functional than my other classmates. (Is that m*starding with faint praise?) I was always jealous...
Your second-day-after thing is interestingly opposite to mine - for example, when planning travel I don't worry as much about the nip before as the one before that (the tunip before?) because shortness there seems to be what really affects me. (I sometimes notice a similar two-day delay in response to alcohol consumption.) On the plus side, I seem to be much more able to go coma-less for a nip than most people I know, even ones a decayip younger than I. But usually I just get punch, not energized! Tonight, however, I'd best decline the temptation, and molpy down.

@Link - I fail to see how that is a pun. @jovialbard stated he had attended a conference in Hungry where dehydration occurred. If I had deliberately misquoted him, I would be at fault. And yum, the donut was delicious. Hope it doesn't keep me molpied up tho...

MistyCat

Social Anxiety

Postby MistyCat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:08 pm UTC

I defile the blood of Social Anxiety. I curse it with Steambottles.
Spoiler:
Hands up all those whose Inferiority Complex is Bigger and Better than anyone else's.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:46 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:And here I am, still in Frankfurt Airport more than a day after arriving; the flight last night was canceled due to bad weather conditions at my connecting airport, so I had to wait for the next day's.

Marsh'n wrote:@taixzo: The OTApp looks great - what platforms do you expect it to run on?

I'm developing it on OSX. But it is using App.js, so I expect to have versions for Mac, Windows, and both 32 and 64 bit Linux.

Other updates: I've got logins working, and am working on multi-quote. Currently I need to figure out a reliable way to convert HTML to BBCode...wait a minute. Just had an idea while typing this: the forum already does that, so I can just ask it to quote a post! Maybe. Let's test that.

*returns to organized sand*

Oh....Otter.
Or; Some other expletive!

The internet may have earned a bad name for some of the things it has done.
The way Meat Space has treated you, is earning it a bad name.

The fucking Meat Space.
This Time it was not worth all the fucking Trouble, for you.

I am so sorry.
You spent more Time ....well...

I feel so...bad about it.
You were Stuck in the Airport.

Some of our Meat Bags were near.
Yet; We were so far away.

You were alone.
That sucks. (sniff-sniff)

Taixo;
I did not do enough or the right kind of reaching out to you in 3D.

If I ever, ever have the chance to do better in the Future;
How should I do it?

What can I do in the Present to help you heal from Bad Weather?
Taixo; I did not get to know you well enough. My Bad. (i'm sorry)

Today is the 16th of February.
It is 15:00, that's 3pm.

I'm not in an Airport anymore.
It was Airport Hell for me, too.

But....ummm. I'd do it Again.
You people were worth every moment to me.

Oh! Oh! Change in Subject!
...? Ott! Ott! Change in Subject!

HomeLand Security was so...almost Nice.
well....To me, some were, down right, Nice.

I don't know Why.
It happened several times.

In Atlanta, they took my Mango.
It is their Job and they did it.

When they took my Mango they did not push me around.
When they took my Mango they did not yell at me.

When they took my Mango they allowed me to look at it, hold it and say good-bye to it.
They were almost kind.

They seemed to understand, it was more than, just, any old mango to me.
I was ripening it with my hands the way a hen hatches an egg. It was a gift.

When I handed over my mango, I told them,
"Tomorrow afternoon, This is going to be a Good Mango."

Maybe, Homeland Security is getting soft the way Rotten things do.
Hey! It's one explanation.

Maybe, Homeland security is getting soft the way Ripe and Useful things do.
That is another explanation.

I don't know Why they were Nice.
Was it Luck on my part?

I was Lucky in Atlanta?
Maybe.

Airports are a lot of Work for the passengers.
The simple act of waiting for it, can be exhausting.

I'm tired.
My List of Good Things:
1. My little computer is charging.
And! It works!
Spoiler:
It may not be as reliable as it once was.
The machine may have taken a bump.

A Man and Machine can not go though what we went though traveling though Space without the Man and Machine taking at least one bump

Spoiler:
I know you people can hack me within an inch of my life.
When my machine did not work, it crossed my mind.

To the God's of the Internet;
Thank-you for not hacking my machine.

2. I'm, sort of, clean, again.
Spoiler:
I finely have enough running water to take a bath.
So; I took a bath.

I don't have enough energy to get dressed.
(AHHH! Naked Posting!)

(looks around. no. (phew))
No. I have a towel.

I might take another bath.
Getting dressed is too much work.

And; Clean Clothes are so far way.
Germany, the OTTers, Clean Clothes are all things that are Far Away.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0552

Postby SilentTimer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:00 am UTC

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU JUST SAID BECAUSE I WAS THINKUNG ABOUT BOTCASTLES. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the sequel to Time?
Spoiler:
… the blinking snake without tail?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

I'm afraid of reconnecting with the rest of the world.

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:21 am UTC

Things are not as dire as I thought when I got called. Also I can find signal sometimes, likely due to my unusual placement this time. Yesterday my users had bandwidth priority, but today I can browse the OTT full-weight.

BlitzGirl wrote:What happens if we go to the conference and return with extra OTTers?

Then the world OTTification plan is working.

@tresoldi Wanna run a South American Conference on Beanish? Ximenez, rombhi? (Wait, I'm [usually] halfway between tresoldi and rombhi? I can give a tour on the Smile-City of the Undead. Btw does RAZOR have an office [t]here?)

HES wrote:Passport lost, then found. In date. Good.

Ah, that feeling…

pelrigg wrote:I know I would like to "hear" your talk somedip. (I'll guess and say others would too.) Maybe you could write it up and post it here when you get re-connected.

Working on it. Change of medium is complicated. But also cozier.

Sustainabilizer wrote:Maybe you can submit a paper

I only expected to hear that phrase in 3 years.

lmjb1964 wrote:Lu, if you have anything you'd like me to read for you , any part of a paper you've written, I'm happy to read that too.

How didn't I read this sooner?
(I actually considered going Hugo, but I'm still just learning the art of tdump.)

Eternal Density wrote:No decree?

I'm truly sorry.
Unexpected papacy.
Will not pope again.

pelrigg wrote:AluisioASG been having troubles too. Are they related?

No unless we are related.

mrobAUTOMOME wrote:nearest-color-name

I want that. (If it works the way I hope it works, that is.)

BlitzGirl wrote:Ready for round two, U.S. OTTerCon?

I don't think I'm going out of Schengen or Mercosur anytime soon. Though I may have a better experience with the TSA now that I don't have metal in my shoes. (Yes, I'm exaggerating.)
I think I'll be able to go to the NoZtterCon in 2018. (There's FISL next year, and a new lapleopard the next one.)

addams wrote:I am not, really, an OTTer.

Heresy! (And nice, uh, avatar. I'll have to take a closer look.)

Sustainabilizer wrote:We should have done a key-signing party.

Yes.

balthasar_s, does the RORRIM work on FreeBSD?

Sustainabilizer wrote:ETA2: Happy 100000000000 posts, AluisioASG! :)

What?

There are too many lines to follow. I'm going insane. ucim, what do I do?

@mrob you writing OCaml now?

balthasar_s wrote:Two polish people trying to understand each other in German.

Which reminds me, other Brazilians in the US seem to recognize me as one by the way I ask for a Fanta (likely because ã rather than an).

That's an inordinate amount of mismatched brackets.

ergman (about addams) wrote:my god you have a way with words

Someone said something similar about you. That makes addams

Neil_Boekend wrote:I am haunting someone else because the one I was haunting requested me to stop. I believe it was AlusioASG but my searchwandremote is acting up again.

No, it was me. Who is AlusioASG? Oh, wait, I think I know.

@taixzo NW.js? Ah.

Btw, have you figured out my puzzle already?

-- via
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ergman

Re: I'm afraid of reconnecting with the rest of the world.

Postby ergman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:40 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
-- via

whoah. what am I witnessing? are those large ch*rpies ch*rping?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”