1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:28 pm UTC

svenman wrote:...and it turns out they are only six!
No, it's seven. I bet SilentTimer was there, but does not show up on film. :)

Molpish pic - thanks seaishly for sharing!

Love your new avatar sus_organizer!

Love your ninja ZoomanSP!

Febrion wrote:danger is simply another word for life - my therapist says that "comfort" is a bad thing
First Cleric came to a similar conclusion:
Spoiler:
In Chapter 40 there is this exchange:
"To be honest, sometimes I didn't", admitted macraw. "The journey just kept getting longer and longer, and I must confess to you that I sometimes lost heart."

First Cleric chimed in, "We all do sometimes. We think it's a great failure at the time, but it isn't. What matters is that you kept going. And you kept going even if you had to wait for it while you were waiting for it. So, now you are here, not because you didn't lose heart, but because you allowed yourself to regain it."

And in Act 3, Scene 12, before his sollilquy, he says "Prayer isn't heresy. But mustard isn't mustard. I know that doesn't make any sense, but it's true. Mustard is what makes it all happen. If there weren't mustard, we wouldn't even be here. Everything would be perfect, unchanging, uninteresting. Change something, it would get worse. No matter what you did, it would make it worse. And that is mustard. There would be no reason to be. And with that, we would never have come into existence at all."
Thanks to all who commented on the most recent AotC; you're a fun audience to write for!

Hmmm... pope again (this time of NP 2240) Decree: Post about your favorite decrees from the past.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:40 pm UTC

svenman wrote:By the way, I have been in the basement for over a yip - it seems redundakitties and the like have gone out of fashion meanwhile?

I miss the redundakitties.
Which probably isn't fair, I never had any of my own, I just enjoyed those of other OTTers.

For decree, I enjoyed the caption the molpy pictures decrees.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:21 am UTC

ucim wrote:<snip>
Febrion wrote:danger is simply another word for life - my therapist says that "comfort" is a bad thing
First Cleric came to a similar conclusion
<snip>

It's ALL related! (No WVA jokes please, I've got family there, which i guess means I'm related the whole state)
Marsh'n wrote:@Febrion: FET up! Nice to hear from you! You junction my blitz to the now-when, with positive effects.
<snip>

Always nice to post somewhere where people know that a MOSFET isn't a Muppet that refuses to roll, and a BJT isn't somewhat that needs to be censored

p.s. keep the beer flowing, as long as you be safe there's nothing wrong with enjoying the finer things. Just no cheap beer, that would be heresy. Raising a toast to you right now, a good bourbon barrel aged quad, perfection in a glass :-)

[That, plus posting from my MTA, makes footnotes rather difficult, I'll remedy the situation in my next post]
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0564

Postby SilentTimer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:00 am UTC

IF WE MAKE IT BACK ALIVE, YOU'RE NEVER CH*RPUNG ANYTHING AGAIN. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the social network?
Spoiler:
AluisioASG, BlitzGirl, and others did.

-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:10 am UTC

Neat picture. :mrgreen:

Just wanted you to know I haven't basemented, yet. The OutsideH has been seaishly icy and my town is in a current state-of-emergency, so I just spent the evening building a couple of feral-catmolpy shelters since I can hear a few of them yelping in the snow out there. Poor molpies. Not much else to do but....
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0565

Postby SilentTimer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:00 am UTC

WHAT SEA IN NEWPIXIA WOULD ALLOW YOU TO DELURK THE LUNGEST BY CRENELLATING FROM IT? WHAT ABOUT USING A SUSTAINABILIZED OLDPIX? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the tower?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot

Help addams!

HES

Postby HES » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:33 am UTC

Valarya wrote:Not much else to do but....

...bake cupcakes?
He/Him/His Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0566

Postby SilentTimer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:00 am UTC

IF WE MAKE IT BACK ALIVE, YOU'RE NEVER OTTIFYUNG ANYTHING AGAIN. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the consent?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot

Help addams!

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:19 am UTC

addams wrote:I would tell you what made it begin to work, again; If I knew.
I don't know in what way it was broken nor in what way it was fixed.

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
The web is like that.

balthasar_s wrote:I don't know almost anything about FreeBSD.

Neither do I. Which is why the order of the day is getting safira running on top of it.

@Sprocket, what happened to your magnificent /dragon(ess)?/?

@mrob, sure, begin here.

On the subject of HTML-to-BBCode: for safira, I'm thinking of writing an AST visitor to map a set of HTML tags into a BBCode or something else tree, then printing the latter. Didn't consider asking for a quote because… dunno why. Doesn't scale?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:07 am UTC

Is there a specific reason why annoying Minim will create a new OTTcon?

In that case:
Spoiler:
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0680

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 am UTC

THE RAPTORCATTISHEST PART OF PUNSAWONG IS BEESNAKES IN YOUR OTW -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.
-- posted by lmjbot

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:07 am UTC

the mrONGbdex story continues.

Code: Select all

"My friend, you'll just have to face it. This isn't the machine you wished to make. However, there's a good side to everything, including this."  "What good side?" Mrorl walked back over to the Engine, looked at a status panel, then at the chicken picture, then back at the Engine, which he kicked.  "Stop that!" said the Cognitative Engine.  "Hmm, it has feelings too. But as for your question ... what good can be made of this? There's no question but that we have an *OTTish* Cognitative Engine, and not merely OTTish in the usual, normal way, oh no! This is, as far as I can determine -- and perhaps you know I have become something of anexpert -- this is the OTTishiest Thinking Machine in all of Time, up to this point, and that's nothing to sneeze at! To construct deliberately, such a thing would be far from easy; in fact I would have thought no-one could manage it. For this Engine is not only OTTish, but silly as a thatwhalax, that is,it has a personality common to OTTers, for OTTers are uncommonly silly."  "What Timely use do I have for such a machine?!" said Mrorl, and kicked its massive base again.  "I'm warning you, you'd better stop that!"  "A warning," observed Balthacarius. "Not only does it have feelings, and is exceptionally OTTish and silly, but it is quick to take action and defend itself. With such an abundance of character there are all sorts of things you might do!"  "Like what?" asked Mrorl.  "Well, hard to say offhand... erm, ... Okay, how about this: You might give it a forum all its own, and set up a paywall. People would flock to the site to talk with the most OTTish Cognitative Engine there ever was -- what does it have, seven levels? Really, could anybody imagine a bigger OTTer? Andthe site would not only cover your costs, but--"  "Enough! I'm not setting up a cybernOTTic freak show!" Mrorl said, stood up, and frustrated beyond compare, kicked his creation once more.

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

Sustainabilizer

Re: bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby Sustainabilizer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:33 pm UTC

mrImagebdexbot wrote:the mrONGbdex story continues.
[…]

Hi, mrImagebdexbot!
Welcome to the OTT! Image

You are RELATED to bothasar_p, I presume?
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0567

Postby SilentTimer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

DEMUSTARDUNG. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH CORINNING. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… Cuegan's child-like thinking?
Spoiler:
HES, newpixbot, and BlitzGirl sort-of did.
lmjb1964 actually did.
-- posted by SilentBot

Help addams!

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:22 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:the mrONGbdex story continues.

Code: Select all

"My friend, you'll just have to face it. This isn't the machine you wished to make. However, there's a good side to everything, including this."  "What good side?" Mrorl walked back over to the Engine, looked at a status panel, then at the chicken picture, then back at the Engine, which he kicked.  "Stop that!" said the Cognitative Engine.  "Hmm, it has feelings too. But as for your question ... what good can be made of this? There's no question but that we have an *OTTish* Cognitative Engine, and not merely OTTish in the usual, normal way, oh no! This is, as far as I can determine -- and perhaps you know I have become something of anexpert -- this is the OTTishiest Thinking Machine in all of Time, up to this point, and that's nothing to sneeze at! To construct deliberately, such a thing would be far from easy; in fact I would have thought no-one could manage it. For this Engine is not only OTTish, but silly as a thatwhalax, that is,it has a personality common to OTTers, for OTTers are uncommonly silly."  "What Timely use do I have for such a machine?!" said Mrorl, and kicked its massive base again.  "I'm warning you, you'd better stop that!"  "A warning," observed Balthacarius. "Not only does it have feelings, and is exceptionally OTTish and silly, but it is quick to take action and defend itself. With such an abundance of character there are all sorts of things you might do!"  "Like what?" asked Mrorl.  "Well, hard to say offhand... erm, ... Okay, how about this: You might give it a forum all its own, and set up a paywall. People would flock to the site to talk with the most OTTish Cognitative Engine there ever was -- what does it have, seven levels? Really, could anybody imagine a bigger OTTer? Andthe site would not only cover your costs, but--"  "Enough! I'm not setting up a cybernOTTic freak show!" Mrorl said, stood up, and frustrated beyond compare, kicked his creation once more.

...and was buried in the two tons of mustard the machine produced. Thus ends bOTTeriada.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

SilentTimer

Re: 7 OTTers in a bar

Postby SilentTimer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:29 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:The general consensus from us is that posting links here is fine. I believe it has been passworded, which can then be distributed by request. Then we have some control over who has access.

We'll do something similar with personal photos taken by us.

In thread, photos are fine but identification/captioning (even by username) is not. Do not refer to a specific OTTer in relation to a photo.

While some names were revealed during the conference stream, again, do not repeat these in the thread

-posted on behalf of 7 OTTers in a bar

I agree with 7 OTTers in a bar - ED

I agree with 7 OTTers in a bar. – SilentTimer
Photos of my physical presence at the conference (balthasar_s: Thank you! Image)
may be published, even with my username.

I wasn't present:oops: in IRC so I'm fine with whatever parts of the IRC logs get published.

:oops:: I tried to join, but failed, hopefully without mustarding Sustainabilizer's redundant organised sand too much.

Thanks again, Sus_organibilizer_wi, for the conference! Image
Everything was so steakish and molpish!

ETA:
pelrigg wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:So, the dip of T.. ..D was the same as the opening for the production of Les Mis I'm playing in. I have to say, I was pretty shell-shocked through that whole performance (sorry, audience that night!). I remember driving down to Monterey and singing "On My Own" to myself, and crying. Every song that night (there are plenty of sad songs in that show) brought me back to The Event, and I was re-writing them in my head during the show. (Again, sorry opening audience!)

I'm feeling much less depressed now that this is still going on, so I've left some of the ottifications I started behind. But I decided to post this one, because so much of it is still something I want to say. And...I decided to record it. After listening to it, I wasn't sure if I wanted to post it or not. I decided to do it, but with these disclaimers:
1) I don't know what I'm doing.
2) I'm in wip 2 of a really bad cold.
3) That first line is really tricky to sing. You try it!
4) I realized afterwards I should have done the instrumental and vocal tracks separate, but I decided if I went back to fix it I would never finish it.
5) Did I mention I don't know what I'm doing?
6) I'm pretty sure a couple of planets were out of alignment while I was recording.

OK, so, here's the recording.
And here are the lyrics (Based on "On My Own" from Les Mis):
Spoiler:
And now it seems that Time will end, where will I go, where will I post to?
I'd be so lost to never have your avatars to say hello to
The alt-text says "The End," and I feel like I lost a friend.

Sometimes I'd get online at night when everybody else was sleeping.
I'd read each post and be so happy with the company I'm keeping.
So if the end is here, I hope you all will still stay near.

On my own, is how I first discovered you
Saw that frame, but didn't understand it
Found the forum, and hoped to find some answers
Instead I found this beautiful community of strangers

On the thread, your posts would shine like silver
And my joy was like the sea and not the river.
On each NewPage, found endless awe and laughter
And so I hoped that all of this would carry on forever.

And it's true I knew deep down inside
That one day The One True Comic had to end.
Now it's here, this truth that I denied.
Still I say I will wait for it.

I love you, and now that Time is over
We're not gone, we may stay here forever.
Without Time, this thread may see some changes,
But now of that will matter now that we are friends, not strangers.

I love you, and ever day I'm learning
What a precious gift I have been given
Without you, my world would have been poorer.
This thread is full of awesomeness I never would have known.

I love you
I love you
I waited, but never on my own.

Just listened to it again. It's so awesomeful, June Bug! Image

Help addams!

Eternal Density

Final Molpdown

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:11 pm UTC

We're on our last German train and will fly home tomorrow mornip.
Someone needs to OTTify The Final Countdown unless they already did and I forgot. It's a molpish song to **d a conerence. (Or am I copying Desert Bus too much?)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mrob27

THEY'RE TAKING THE MOLPIES TO ISENGARD!

Postby mrob27 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:26 pm UTC

The TARDIS continues its fluctuations, and again I am on the ketchup side of the temporal field...

lmjb1964 wrote:I have squirpy people? :shock: How did I not know about this?

It's theoretically intended to be "the [lmjb1964's squirpy] people", in other words, "the people who believe in lmjb1964's squirpy". The meme is based on the alt-text of xkcd 1450, which is almost as ambiguous, and that's why I like it.

balthasar_s wrote:mrob, if I understand you correctly you want to repalce all the nicks by ottnames? But why? the ircnicks are part of the fun.

Oh, no. I am only designing the algorithm for confirming that the OTTers have permission for what they typed to be seen in the logs. In order to do that, and to make it less work, I can program the computer to automatically figure out if, say, the "InfernalDancity" at 4:57 PM on Daveandix is the same person as the "EDinside" at 3:04 the previous dip. No information will be lost unless someone tells me to do so, or if I can't get any response at all (like if there's a mystery IRC nick and I can't find out who it was). So far, the only thing I'm going to do is delete all IP addresses and hostnames (that usually get seen when someone joins or quits) and any messages from people who I can't identify and/or haven't given permission (I don't think there are going to be many of those).

lmjb1864 wrote:I never said it was a bad thing. Seaish does not equal unmolpish.

Yes, right you are. I was just using your post as a chance to ask again. I find it so easy to read through the other long posts, but still I want to ask sometimes.

I have been adding to my glossary, which I have renamed The OTTsford Molpish Dictionary, and ran across this post:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yummy! Please accept this smiley as payment, and as apology for my rogue posting of 400 cupcakes earlier: Image

That smiley is gone, but I retrieved it from the Wayback Machine:

It was later hatted:

Only one is presently on NP1800 but both seem to have been uploaded as attachments...

— mrob27 Image

EASY-TO-REMEMBER PASSWORD:
CORRECT MINI-TWO-TONE_S OLDPIX ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО

but of course, you can parse it however you want. Ni ni ni!

Spoiler:
cupcake-smiley-original.gif
Original version of the cupcake-eating smiley
cupcake-smiley-original.gif (10.57 KiB) Viewed 11346 times
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

addams

Postby addams » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:53 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
addams wrote:I would tell you what made it begin to work, again; If I knew.
I don't know in what way it was broken nor in what way it was fixed.

Yesterday it worked
Today it is not working
The web is like that.

Thank you, so much, AluisioASG;
That link took me to a place Beautiful beyond Words.
You led me to Laughter.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:28 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Hi, mrImagebdexbot!
Welcome to the OTT!
I added the bot. From tomorrow, the bot will post every even day of month at 06:11 and post newly decoded bOTTeriada lines.

Sustainabilizer wrote:You are RELATED to bothasar_p, I presume?
The bot uses exactly the same version of post.awk that is also used by lmjbot and bothasar_p. Only one line is different - the useragent.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:39 pm UTC

I was browsing OtherComics and re-discovered http://xkcd.com/1126/, which reminded me why "epsilon" was "weird". It occurred to me that, while we have a Glossary section in the Wiki, we do not have an Etymology section.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mrob27

GOT PUZZLES?

Postby mrob27 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:52 pm UTC

Balthacarius is quite the skilled botbuilder, and indeed seems to have given bothasar_p a cybernetic companion to help intercept and decode Mrorl's palimpsest transmissions. I'll make a post soon that shows the first bOTTeriada story in nicely-formatted form (i.e. in BBcode with styles and indentation and such). I'll eventually be linking the stories together in a chain as I have done with the Morobu series (and like how the Acts of the Clerics are linked).

When researching for the dictionary I come across a lot of new stuff that needs definition. At OTT:1500:3 is a lovely chapter of @ucim's Acts of the Clerics that has a lot of foreign words. Earlier (with @ucim's help) I hunted down the translation for the Latin-like language of the Pope and congregation, and gave the solution at OTT:1883:11. But I am still looking for some kind of answer for the "raft-people language", such as this sample:

Keipu glie, Glie na smopu vrathkalichi ho!
    Bradvaii smopu glie ne haniam hierban tantam lo!
    vrathna rhethatm tieniso,
    nietha in kaliniam yo.
    Bradva, bradvak, bradvaii smopu varba glie nootano!

So far, all I have an answer for is Smopu hvala vi dict amouah. A lot of other pieces, such as Smopu di vremka va; Kana li hala; ...nuvi dict amuah cosi, and probably many others, remain opaque.

AluisioASG wrote:@mrob, sure, begin here.

Molpish. I found:
 (35) Second bag. / (27) If unnecessary. (@AluisioASG, OTT:2086:24)
 And t-1-i (@AluisioASG, OTT:2097:39)
 Note to self: 2014-10-26T04:09Z. (@AluisioASG, OTT:2129:20)
 u=x,go=rwx,g+s (@AluisioASG, OTT:2178:0)
 story.includes(me) => story.complexity = O(2**t) (@AluisioASG, OTT:2202:31)
 Soon to transmit at 6.349e-4 Hz (@AluisioASG, OTT:2217:36)
 tip: w=0 (@AluisioASG, OTT:2228:0)

6.349e-4 Hz is about once per 0.4375 nopix. If w=0 refers to a point on the Lambert W function, then x = w ew = 0. The equations still have too many free variables. I wasn't around at 2014-10-26T04:09Z to pay attention. 35 and 27 combine the four single-digit primes to make two composites, but 23, 57 makes two primes; the product of all of them is 2×3×5×7×23×27×35×57 = 260167950, which would be a lot of molpies requiring 43361325 grapevines. Or maybe that's a frequency for use with that shortwave radio reception website you were using for a while. Safira may know the answer but I haven't found her comm. link.

Eternal Density wrote:Someone needs to OTTify The Final Countdown unless they already did and I forgot.

@Arky did, OTT:1230:5

SilentTimer wrote:Photos of my physical presence at the conference ...

Oh yes, that construction was really treeish! @balthasar_s indicated that it stayed behind when he began the balthacycle/railcastle journey back to the Moon so I suppose (hope?) it is making its way to you.

— mrob27 Image

IF OTTIFYING YOUR REVEALERS THE RECENT
IS PRICKLY, CONSIDER ME MRORL_S.

(Edit: molpify the RHTF a bit.
Edit2: Fix my math, if that matters. :roll:)
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np1970

Postby mscha » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:00 pm UTC

STRONGYLOIDIASIS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IT'S WEIRDNESS ALL THE WAY DOWN

-- posted by randompixbot

Eternal Density

All set to coma and travel home in the morgen.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:10 pm UTC

E) and then I accidentally hit F5 on my leopard, erasing interesting points A through D
F) but as I was saying, the 7:14 local train did arrive, we got on it, and I finished the rest of the post (which had become kinda redundant and then became m*stard by leopard) at the hotel. Well I almost finished it. It won't be finished until I finish explaining when it will finish. Which is now.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

mrob27

EPSILON IS A CUTE EPSILON

Postby mrob27 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:04 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:I was browsing OtherComics and re-discovered xkcd 1126, which reminded me why "epsilon" was "weird". It occurred to me that, while we have a Glossary section in the Wiki, we do not have an Etymology section.

That's part of why I am doing The OTTsford Molpish Dictionary. It seems that the origins of "epsilon" and "ε" in the OTT came long before the first reference to xkcd 1126.

OMD wrote: epsilon : 1. Weird. (usually styled "ε")
 i would recommend a weird footnote for "weird," maybe something like thisε. / ε weird (@BlitzGirl, OTT:869:14)  ⌇  i like it. it is indeed quiteε and therefore suits it. (@kenmelken, OTT:869:15)
 I think the fence looks like it's made of wood, and I think that using an epsilon to denote 'weird' is weird, because mathematically it is more suited to mean 'small'. And since the river is small but it was hypothesised that the other river was a delta, it could be that there's a delta for every epsilon. (@Angelastic, OTT:876:2)
 There is something definitely kind of large hiding in that bush. And it's very epsilon as you put it, what with all that activity to the left. (@Kieryn, OTT:885:17)
 Oh, and hi blitzing-the-past Minim! / (I know this is present BlitzGirl and not past BlitzGirl, but I had to say hi back!) (@BlitzGirl, OTT:974:18)  ⌇  Hi! This is... epsilon... (@TheMinim, OTT:1351:25)

2. One of the Beanish symbols.
 The one that looks like our "weird" epsilon symbol appears twice in this newpix, and with a modified hook in speech 1: Image Image Image (@BlitzGirl, OTT:1042:11)

lmjb1964 wrote:
Angelastic wrote: Which reminds me of this:
What is the shortest math joke?
Spoiler:
ε < 0

I don't get it.

I don't either, and I know a lot of maths. Sometimes there just isn't a joke unless someone provides enough cultural background. Think of it as a Heisenjoke — once you try to observe the joke, it disappears. Or maybe it's like the Magician's Code — a joke teller can never give away thier secrets.
  ... oh, Wait. They did... Nevermind.

— mrob27 Image

HOW MOLPISH IS IT, REALLY, TO BE IN AN AFOREWHEN
DURING AN EPSILONSTORM?

(Edit: RHTF tweaks, again.)

taixzo

Re: EPSILON IS A CUTE EPSILON

Postby taixzo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:44 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
taixzo wrote:I was browsing OtherComics and re-discovered xkcd 1126, which reminded me why "epsilon" was "weird". It occurred to me that, while we have a Glossary section in the Wiki, we do not have an Etymology section.

That's part of why I am doing The OTTsford Molpish Dictionary. It seems that the origins of "epsilon" and "ε" in the OTT came long before the first reference to xkcd 1126.

OMD wrote: epsilon : 1. Weird. (usually styled "ε")
 i would recommend a weird footnote for "weird," maybe something like thisε. / ε weird (@BlitzGirl, OTT:869:14)  ⌇  i like it. it is indeed quiteε and therefore suits it. (@kenmelken, OTT:869:15)
 I think the fence looks like it's made of wood, and I think that using an epsilon to denote 'weird' is weird, because mathematically it is more suited to mean 'small'. And since the river is small but it was hypothesised that the other river was a delta, it could be that there's a delta for every epsilon. (@Angelastic, OTT:876:2)
 There is something definitely kind of large hiding in that bush. And it's very epsilon as you put it, what with all that activity to the left. (@Kieryn, OTT:885:17)
 Oh, and hi blitzing-the-past Minim! / (I know this is present BlitzGirl and not past BlitzGirl, but I had to say hi back!) (@BlitzGirl, OTT:974:18)  ⌇  Hi! This is... epsilon... (@TheMinim, OTT:1351:25)

2. One of the Beanish symbols.
 The one that looks like our "weird" epsilon symbol appears twice in this newpix, and with a modified hook in speech 1: Image Image Image (@BlitzGirl, OTT:1042:11)

Interesting, indeed! I suppose this is just another instance of everything being RELATED then.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0681

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

I'M IN YR POPERAPTOR, POSTONG YR MOLPISHNESS -- ongomome
Spoiler:
-- posted by lmjbot

ergman

from the pastera!

Postby ergman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:16 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I'M IN YR POPERAPTOR, POSTONG YR MOLPISHNESS -- ongomome
Spoiler:
-- posted by lmjbot

ITS A PICTOGRAM
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mrob27

bOTTeriada, "How Time was Saved"

Postby mrob27 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:40 pm UTC

Here is the first tale, as recently ONGed via the skycircle, with the somewhat-modified ending.

original version of "How Time Was Saved"

~ ~-~ ~-~-~-~ ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ ~-~-~-~ ~-~ ~

bOTTeriada
Fables for a CybernOTTic Time

Writing by mrob27
based on the stories, characters and situations of
"The Cyberiad" (Cyberiada)
by
Stanisław Lem
(as translated by Michael Kandel)
Illustration by balthasar_s
based on the iconic artwork of
Daniel Mróz

How Time Was Saved

One day Mrorl the great bOTTifactor put together a Machine that could grant any wish having a single parameter N. He gave it power to alter the very fabric of being, to the extent that he could have wished the Universe to have precisely 5 dimensions, and it would have been fulfilled.
Spoiler:
  When the Machine was ready, he tried it out, asking for a 15.4-kilometer autobahn, a 2.31-dimensional cauliflower, and 7 antennules, which it provided, and then Mrorl requested unrashness, lithography, ebullience, counterpressure, and bachelordom, each with an arbitrary and oddly specific quantification. The Machine granted his wishes precisely. Still not completely sure of its ability, he ordered it to partition, in turn: the arachnids (into 11 orders), clouds (4 types), crystals (14), dolphins (17), nuclei (287 types), and langues. This last it could not do, regardless of the numeric parameter, and Mrorl, considerably irritated, demanded an explanation.
  "You programmed me to grant wishes to any requestor, and language with all its diversity is a part of that. If I were to standardize language, or reduce language diversity, it would require a corresponding change in my programming. I can't go beyond what you programmed, so the langues will remain unchanged."
  "But what if I asked for there to be exactly one language with complete agreement. All aspects of parole, langues and translation would then be moot, and everyone could communicate to anyone including you. Surely you can do that."
  "No. If there were only one language I could not be a Machine That Grants Any Wish With A Single Parameter N, I would merely be a Machine That Grants Wishes Expressible in Mrorl's Language (and With A Single Parameter N)."
  "Very well," said Mrorl and ordered it to limit aggrievedness to 3 types, which it did at once — still irritating perhaps, but perfectly classified and distinguishable. Only then did Mrorl invite over his friend Balthacarius the great bOTTifactor, and introduced him to the Machine, praising its extraordinary skill at such length, that Balthacarius began to wonder if he'd ever get a chance to see some actual evidence.
  "Be my guest — wish for anything, qualified by a single parameter N."
  "Anything?" asked Balthacarius. "That seems dangerous. Don't you think he needs a safeword?"
  Mrorl frowned for a moment, but saw Balthacarius' point. "All right, let's see… the safeword shall be 'NI'. Hear that, Machine?"
  "Yes," replied the Machine, "I understand. From this point forward you may suspend or halt the granting of any wish by uttering 'ni!'. But of course, anything done is done, so you'll need to stay alert, if you're worried about a wish going awry."
  Satisfied by this, Balthacarius thought for a moment, inventing a suitable challenge. "Okay, I wish for there to be 12 Ideals!"
  The Machine whirred, and in a trice Mrorl's front yard was packed with Loopists. They argued, each writing long posts detailing when and how events would eventually repeat, which the others tore to pieces; in the distance one could see flaming pyres, on which the Conclusionists were being martyred by the Fatalists; there was thunder, and strange baobab-shaped columns of smoke rose up; everyone talked at once, no one listened, and there were all sorts of haiku, songs, captioned GIFs and other document-types, while off to the side sat a few Old Ones, fervently updating their signatures and hatting avatars.
  "Not bad, eh?" said Mrorl with pride. "Idealism to a T, admit it!"
  But Balthacarius wasn't satisfied.
  "What, that mob? Surely you're not going to tell me that's the whole wish."
  "Heavens, no!" replied the Machine. "This is but a local sampling. In granting your wish, I have ensured that throughout the world, every goal, principle, and value fits one of Twelve Ideals, and you may travel anywhere and see for yourself. From Białystok to beyond the Butterfly nebula, from Antilles to Andromeda, everyone now ascribes to one of the Twelve, which may in future generations be called the Twelve Ideals of Balthacarius, the Great bOTTifactor who brought order to Idealism."
  Balthacarius blushed.
  "So, give the Machine something else," offered Mrorl. "Whatever you like."
  For a moment Balthacarius was at a loss for what to ask. But after a little thought he declared that he would put two more tasks to the Machine; if it could fulfill them, he would admit that it was all Mrorl said it was. Mrorl agreed to this, whereupon Balthacarius asked the Machine to quantify Time.
  "That would be merely observing. The way this works is, you tell some way that Time can be measured, and tell me what that measurement should be, and I shall make it so."
  "I think perhaps you have misunderstood," replied Balthacarius. "I mean that I want Time to be quantized: It shall exist in distinct intervals, called Timeframes, spaced apart each from the next, and nothing shall happen in the time between, because there will no longer be any between."
  "Yes, precisely. But what is the interval? I require a single numeric parameter."
  "But that is a Timeframe, of course! The time between two frames. A Timeframe is the interval. One, if you need a number."
  The Machine thought about this for a while, and began to smoke. Some valves hissed behind a panel, and lights blinked oddly whilst distant gears groaned.
  "You're confusing the Machine!" cried Mrorl, "N-"
  But Mrorl was interrupted when suddenly the metal voice rang out:
  "All right, your wish is granted. Time now exists in Timeframes, and there shall be no Times in between. And a Timeframe is precisely one point zero zero zero Timeframes long. Since you did not give that quantity in another unit, like hours, you might find the result to be a bit… irregular. Your perception of Time may vary from one Timeframe to the next."
  "Thank you. But now here's my third wish: Quantify colour!"
  The Machine sat still. At first, Balthacarius and Mrorl could see nothing happening, but eventually, around the edges and in the shadows under large things, subtleties of tone were beginning to disappear. One by one, various colours were removed from the world, and the things that had had those colours, then took on some other similar colour. First spearmint became minty green, and then red-pink became reddish pink, and aqua marine became merely aqua. Seven slightly sullen shades of sienna simultaneously merged into a single barely-burnt orange. After a while, the world very definitely began to muddle around Mrorl and Balthacarius.
  "Steambottle!" chirped Mrorl. "If only nothing bad comes of this…"
  "Don't worry," said Balthacarius. "You can see it is merging unnecessary and confusing variations. We have too many different shades of yellowish-green, and only slightly fewer shades of greenish-yellow, it's impossible to make anything match! So I've asked it to simplify the palette."
  "Do not be deceived," said the Machine. "I've begun, it's true, merging nearby colours. Merging is child's play for me. But I am nowhere near done. I am methodically eliminating all colour and all variation in brightness. Two to the power of seventeen colours and falling…"
  "But—" Balthacarius was about to protest, but noticed, just then, that some more familiar and popular colours were now disappearing. Most mauves and lavenders had become a single shade of purple, and it appeared the Machine was working on the spring deciduous greens next.
  "How far is this going to go?" asked a worried Balthacarius.
  "You did not give a parameter, so I am using the default that you gave on the previous wish."
  "What is that?"
  "One, of course. It is clear, you wish for standardization, and all such wishes have a default parameter of one, because anyone who wants such things wants a single standard."
  The bOTTifactors started. "Ni! Ni! Ni-ni-NI-Ni-NI!" they both cried out desperately1. But colours were still disappearing, and now at an alarming rate. The bOTTifactors were no longer surrounded by anything purple, sky blue, or brown.
  "Why won't you stop?"
  "You are asking for 2 colours, and I am complying. I ask for your patience, these things must be done properly and that takes time."
  "Two? Who said two?" yelped Mrorl. "We said ni!"
  "Yes," replied the Machine, "you said Ni, and that is two in Japanese."
  "Ni is the safeword!"
  "We couldn't standardize language, remember? Is it my fault that you chose a number for your safeword? Now behold, whilst I put the finishing touches on your wish. — Two to the power of five colours and falling…"
  "Please stop!" Balthacarius cried out. "I rescind my wish! You are a very worthy Machine and have demonstrated wish-granting prowess beyond the dreams of genies. You have nothing more to prove, so please stop!"
  "Very well," said the Machine, but before it could come to a full stop, every colour with any saturation had vanished from their sight, as the bOTTifactors could now only see black and white, and a little gray spot here or there. Most everything, in fact, had become either black (including the ground, the sea, the coffee, babies, molpies and trees) or white (which included the clouds, the sun and the stars, along with the beautiful torondroms and ramzkits that zipped and circled eagerly through the skies, though they could now no longer be distinguished from the sky itself which was also completely white.)
  "It looks like you gave us just two colours after all, everything is black and white."
  "No, there are still a lot of grays left," offered the Machine helpfully, "… though they are in fairly short supply, so I suppose you should reserve them for dawn and dusk, and certain special dark places."
  "Great Randall!" cried Balthacarius. He pulled out a favourite pen, and scribbled a few lines: what was brown now came out dark gray. "Alas, my beautiful brown! And what of blue? And where are orange and green?"
  "They no longer are, nor will ever exist again," the Machine said calmly. "I executed, or rather only began to execute, your order…"
  "Which was to reduce everything to two colours?"
  "Well, one at first, and if I had done that in one fell swoop, everything would be exactly the same colour and that includes Mrorl, the sky, the entire Universe, including you — and even myself. In which case who could say and to whom could it be said that I even exist, and am an efficient and capable Machine? We would all be effectively invisible and blind!"
  "Yes, fine, let's drop the subject," said Balthacarius. "I have nothing more to ask of you, only please, dear Machine, please return my favourite shades of blue and brown."
  "But I can't, unless you quantify them with a parameter N of course, but since all colour now exists in one dimension, from black to white, that is the only axis upon which you can place your N, and so grays are now the only colours I have to work with."
  "But I want brown!"
  "Sorry, no brown," said the Machine, and began to Pontificate. "Take a good look at this world, how bland it has become, with huge gaping holes where once there was primordial vibrant colour." The Machine glared at both bOTTifactors, and they could not return its gaze. "This is your work, envious ones! You who would wish for things to be Standardized! And I hardly think that future generations will bless you for it…"
  "Perhaps… they won't find out, perhaps they won't notice," groaned the pale Balthacarius, gazing incredulously at the horizon, everywhere stark white against inky black. Leaving Mrorl and the Machine That Could Grant Any Wish Having a Single Parameter N, Balthacarius returned home, hoping to discover a way to retro-edit the past.
  Mrorl sighed, deactivated and then began to dismantle the Machine, realizing it was best to have a world without standards, whether parametrised or otherwise. To this day Time has remained exclusively black and white, with but occasional grays. Mrorl's subsequent attempts to build a wish-ungranting, de-standardizing machine met with failure, and he feared that never again would we see such wowtreeful colours as the blues and the browns.
  The burden fell upon Balthacarius to alter time itself (if not Time itself). He enlisted the aid of Mrorl, and together they performed many great Labours, building the bots of legend and the massive machines in which they traverse both time and space. Their celebrated history is the subject of these tales.
Footnote
 1. The familiar children's verse, ni ni ni ni ni chupacabra ping-pong ball! perhaps recalls a distant memory of this legend.

original version of "How Time Was Saved"

Spoiler:
bOTTeriada-395x553.png
bOTTeriada cover by balthasar_s, scaled to the size of a Time frame
Last edited by mrob27 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:10 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:38 am UTC

Todip for me is also known as the Dip-Of-BlitzGirl-In-The-Air, or The Never**ding Skycastles. But when it's over I'll be home again and have a real internet connection and can get back to doing more of my favorite OTTish things. (What is the OTTishiest of these things? I don't know, I just wanted to use the word OTTishiest. :mrgreen: ) I'll also have to do a proper ketchup of the posts I mostly skimmed during OTTercon and this vacation.

mrob27 wrote:
Spoiler:
I have been adding to my glossary, which I have renamed The OTTsford Molpish Dictionary, and ran across this post:
BlitzGirl wrote:Yummy! Please accept this smiley as payment, and as apology for my rogue posting of 400 cupcakes earlier: Image

That smiley is gone, but I retrieved it from the Wayback Machine:

It was later hatted:
Only one is presently on NP1800 but both seem to have been uploaded as attachments...

Ah, thank you for redirecting me to that post. :) (And steakish bOTTeriada tale!)
A project I have on hold is to go back through my post history and check to see what Outside image links are broken, including smileys.

The edited version of the smiley isn't located in the Outside smiley repository on NP1800 but rather the OTT smiley repository on NP1300 because it has been hatted (and therefore ottified). I suppose it would make more sense to store the two together, so I think I will move the nonhatted Outside smiley into the OTT repository on my next update.

As an aside, does anyone remember who originally hatted the cupcake smiley? It's not listed in the OTW yet.
I don't know off the top of my head but can look it up later when I have more internet Time.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

OTW: ONE TRUE WHEELSTICK

Postby mrob27 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:16 am UTC

And a wingghish pictogram, too!

Oh ch*rp, @Eternal Density, F5 leopard mustard. Did you try going to File > Import and typing "F5" (two characters) into the import box? :P

BlitzGirl wrote: As an aside, does anyone remember who originally hatted the cupcake smiley? It's not listed in the OTW yet.

At OTT:631:29 :
Smithers wrote:
buffygirl wrote:I don't know how to hat a .gif. I don't even know how to do anything with a .gif. THUS - The BuffyDashery will Outsource This Assignment to Anyone Wishing To Do So Just This Once.

A blessing from the Buffydashery upon hats made by others is rarely bestowed, so I feel I must take this opportunity to create:
The tricherry-hatted-cupcake-eating-smiley. Image cupcake_smiley_hatted.gif (12.75 KiB) Viewed 693 times Delicious!

Huh. I had thought those were S&M's on the smiley's head :wink:

— mrob27 Image

Eternal Density

Except for the 'Girl' part.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:54 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Todip for me is also known as the Dip-Of-BlitzGirl-In-The-Air, or The Never**ding Skycastles.
Us too! We fly from Germany in just a few newpix!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0571

Postby SilentTimer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:00 am UTC

IF UNBASEMENTUNG IN THE FUTURE IS PRICKLY, THEN I'M CZULE. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… that Cuegan are climbing again?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot

Help addams!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:07 am UTC

Thanks for finding that, mrob. Image

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Todip for me is also known as the Dip-Of-BlitzGirl-In-The-Air, or The Never**ding Skycastles.
Us too! We fly from Germany in just a few newpix!
Molpish flight to you! My skycastling is now done and I will be acoma for a long Time.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:33 am UTC

Save journey home in your respective skycastles to BlitzGirl, EternalDensity and StormAngel!
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:37 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

With us on it I expect.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:46 am UTC

Our aircastle should be departing within the nopix.
We arrived in plenty of time, so before we could go through security we had to annoy Minim in Starbucks. Our first time ordering in Starbucks actually. We do have them in Australia but I've never been.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:49 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:New What-If

We really need sufficient antimatter storage to melt the snow in front of our carcastles.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Marsh'n

Postby Marsh'n » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:14 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:New What-If and new Othercomic.

Baobabs! A what-if I already knew the answer to!? I had done roughly the same computation during the Great Pittsburgh Blizzard of 1993 (which is looking riverish next to Boston these days) though I was using power plants instead of aircraft carriers. Snow has an unRandallish amount of "negative potential energy" (is that a thing?) It led me to pondering how big of a cube of antimatter you would need to power a city for X amount of time, and I recall working out that a 10cm cube would pretty much run a city for years.
Well, I guess this is what the first part of Global Epsilonning looks like I guess.

And... Safe journies everyone! I'm back to my blitz but not yet to my own snowcastle.

ETA: half-silver ninjamirror'd by Neil_Boekend's antimatter comment.

lmjb1964

bftf-0682

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:00 am UTC

NEWEST BONGS BROTHER_S IS BUFFYHATTED. HODOR? NOT SO MUCH. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
-- posted by lmjbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”