1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:14 am UTC

Wait (for it). Why's Neil pink? Did he get modded?

Papal decree: explain this pinkening.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:23 am UTC

Hey Hal, welcome back from the basement!
My name is pinkmagenta because I asked for additional madnessing by applying for FF00BF BFFs.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:26 am UTC

So some of you might have seen this, but there's another collection of faux religions and communities swelling up around something, this time reddit's april fools joke. Check it out, warning though, subcultures are fractally nested.

http://www.reddit.com/r/thebutton/

molpy down
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mrob27

OH HAI, I SCHIZOBLITZED YOUR MUSTARDINESS

Postby mrob27 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:09 am UTC

ergman wrote:So some of you might have seen this, but there's another collection of faux religions and communities swelling up around something, this time reddit's april fools joke. Check it out, warning though, subcultures are fractally nested.

That's nice, but how do you blitz it? Are the posts available in a linear order so I can read one, and then read the next, and so on, and take a break and come back later and resume where I left off?
  If not, then what's the point? Can anyone familiar with Reddit explain how to actually read all the posts in a topic?

— mrob27 Image

(ETA:
In the uhh... *un*-Madness 2015 thread, Neil_Boekend wrote:
Red Hal wrote:Bugger. Missed it.

The madness hasn't started yet AFAIK.

The first sign of madness would be the pink banana. The second sign would probably be that belief that there be no madness...)
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:26 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Hey Hal, welcome back from the basement!
My name is pinkmagenta because I asked for additional madnessing by applying for FF00BF BFFs.

You are Pretty in Pink
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Neil_Boekend

Re: OH HAI, I SCHIZOBLITZED YOUR MUSTARDINESS

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:35 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:The first sign of madness would be the pink banana. The second sign would probably be that belief that there be no madness...)

No madness? That's mad!
addams wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Hey Hal, welcome back from the basement!

You are Pretty in Pink

Thanks. I should get a tutu, although I doubt I'd wear it as well as Robert de Niro.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:43 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:55 am UTC

It seems suspiciously like Calvinball.

he/him/his

HAL9000
Not Red

Re: OH HAI, I SCHIZOBLITZED YOUR MUSTARDINESS

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:01 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
ergman wrote:So some of you might have seen this, but there's another collection of faux religions and communities swelling up around something, this time reddit's april fools joke. Check it out, warning though, subcultures are fractally nested.

That's nice, but how do you blitz it? Are the posts available in a linear order so I can read one, and then read the next, and so on, and take a break and come back later and resume where I left off?
If not, then what's the point? Can anyone familiar with Reddit explain how to actually read all the posts in a topic?

I'll admit, I've gotten mildly involved with Reddit over the past few months (by which I mean I've created an account on which I vote but never comment). You're not really supposed to see the most recent posts; instead, everything is sorted by a custom algorithm that takes into account net positive votes, total votes (positive and negative), number of comments, and so on. Gets a little confusing sometimes.

ETA: If you really want to, though, you can rearrange the top-level comments by clicking on the "sort by" option just below where it says "Top 200 comments". Usually you'll just end up seeing the jokes that have already been made in the thread being rehashed, because that's how Reddit seems to work.

Also, regarding /r/thebutton in particular, I don't particularly like it. It's sort of similar to what we did in the early days, forming little religions and societies and whatnot, but they aren't nearly as nice about it. Even if it's said in jest, I still don't like to read about how people who haven't pressed the button are oh so much better than those who have or vice versa, at least not in the nasty words they use.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:07 am UTC

I pressed the button, but it just told me that I need an account to participate.

Anyway, I think it would be far more interesting if the reddit button actually did something like ban a random user to increase your karma and then display an icon next to the name of anyone who has pushed it.

mscha

Time Revisited - np340

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:10 am UTC

ORUNGOUTUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I'M IN UR REDUNDANCY, CH*RPING UR BUTTER

-- posted by oldpixbot

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:20 am UTC

That's a nice tutu, Neil :mrgreen:
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:27 am UTC

karhell wrote:That's a nice tutu, Neil :mrgreen:

Did that happen after he asked? Uh oh, this madness may just be to give everyone anything they ask for. That could get strange in a hurry here

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:31 am UTC

Thanks!
Spoiler:
for posterety's sake:
g7376 small.jpg
g7376 small.jpg (2.24 KiB) Viewed 34536 times

@ Slinches: The bananananafication happened after I applied for FF00BF BFFs. The tutu and the hat was a quick and dirty image edit half an hour ago.

he/him/his

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:38 am UTC

Oh good. The tutu and hat are a nice touch. I was worried there for a minute that the fora would devolve into a simultaneous rehash of all of the most memorable reckonings.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:40 am UTC

slinches wrote:Oh good. The tutu and hat are a nice touch. I was worried there for a minute that the fora would devolve into a simultaneous rehash of all of the most memorable reckonings.

The pink banana was given to me because in the announcement thread I posted:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I'm still waiting for my name to turn pinkmagenta That would be a sign in the right direction.

Ok, but you're going to get recycled content for the time being.

The pinkmagenta text was added by a Mod.

You are correct!

he/him/his

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:40 am UTC

I have no idea why I was chosen too (albeit a little later), but I love having a title!

Edit: it would be because I mentioned not having my avatar naked darn autocorrect backed up.

Indeed.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:51 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:I have no idea why I was chosen too (albeit a little later), but I love having a title!

Have you perhaps applied to FF00BF BFFs?

he/him/his

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:54 am UTC

Yes, but there's only five purple people in it so far.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:58 am UTC

Maybe They are ramping up? I know of at least one other OTTer who applied but didn't get a pinkmagenta username yet.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

he/him/his

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0824

Postby SilentTimer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:00 am UTC

A CASBOTTLE, A CASBOTTLE, MY KUNGDOM FOR A CASBOTTLE -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… Cueball's drawing?
Spoiler:
azule, BlitzGirl, and Ms. Frizzle Image did.
(Cueball's not used to using a pen, so his ink flow is somewhat erratic. He didn't plan to draw Megan and himself levitating, but in fact he made a surprisingly correct prediction of how their help will look like.)
… the casualties?
Spoiler:
… how Image is learning a new language?
Spoiler:
As the underlying Beanish shows, she's fully grasped the meaning of “yes”. Her usage of “help” indicates that she's understood that one, too, although the underlying gibberish (with a Beanish full stop) adumbrates some remaining confusion. Her full stops are starting to look more Unglish; her tone is still wiggly.
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

mscha

Time Revisited - np342

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:10 am UTC

SUNGLEHANDED...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:NEEDLE-PULLED THINGMAN, NEEDLE-PULLED THINGMAN, DOES WHATEVER A NEEDLE-PULLED THING CAN

-- posted by oldpixbot

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0775

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:00 am UTC

I'M GOONG TO ENHANCE LIKE I'VE NEVER ENHANCED BEFORE. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.
-- posted by lmjbot

mrob27

ALL HAIL HIS PYNKNESS, THE GHOST OF MADNESSEN AFOREWHEN

Postby mrob27 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:02 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:The pinkmagenta text was added by a Mod.

Although "magenta" is a suitable name for that colour, "pink" is a much better match, according to the results of the massive xkcd colour survey, published at http://blog.xkcd.com/2010/05/03/color-survey-results   Using its data, my nearest-color-name script searches for matches to a given colour. As you'll know from reading that blag, the survey presented test subjects with random RGB colours and asked them to name each one. Based on millions of responses, each colour name can be assigned to the RGB value that is an average (by hillclimbing or geometric mean, see this page) of the RGB values that elicited that particular name in responses. Each name also has a popularity rating, i.e. a count of how many times that name was given.
  My script ranks its answers in order of increasing nearness and decreasing popularity. It rates the nearness of a match using a perceptual distance function that accounts for the fact that the eye sees the green component with greatest fidelity and the blue component with least fidelity. The results for FF00BF are:

Code: Select all

$ nearest-color-name ff00bf
 RGB values: (255, 0, 191)
  ... matches "purple" (#7e1e9c) to within 83.67 (pop 379175)
  ... matches "red" (#e50000) to within 59.39 (pop 154753)
  ... matches "magenta" (#c20078) to within 42.35 (pop 70751)
  ... matches "hot pink" (#ff028d) to within 15.13 (pop 23274)
  ... matches "bright pink" (#fe01b1) to within  4.36 (pop 6017)
 The closest match to (255, 0, 191) is "bright pink" (#fe01b1)

magenta, a name that was given to 70751 colours centered at C20078, has a perceptual distance of 42.35 units away from FF00BF. This is not much better than red, whose distance from FF00BF is 59.39. But the name hot pink, used in 23274 responses for colours centered at FF028D, has a distance of only 15.13. An even better match is the rarer name bright pink, which was given in only 6017 survey answers but was centered at FE01B1, a mere 4.36 units away from FF00BF. You can see all these in the top 954 colours table; note how well hot pink (row 7, left end) and bright pink (row 13, right end) resemble the colour of @Neil_Boekend's username.

— mrob27 Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:08 am UTC

Coool. Assuming your permission I shall reference to that post when someone claims that my username is not pink.

he/him/his

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:12 am UTC

8000 posts, I had to make something, so I decided to make a crossword again! It's been a long Time!
And it's nice and seaish with lots of clues.

Redundant:
Spoiler:

CrosswordHereItComes.png

Keywords: BGUM crossword blitzword puzzle madness here it comes
redundant269.png
redundant269.png (182.76 KiB) Viewed 34278 times

Oh, and heh, funny story. I had it all put together and was doing a test solve when I realized that I'd spelled an answer wrong in the puzzle. Whoops. I was too yappocized at that point to go back and rework the whole crossword. So, when you get to 26-Down, there really should be another E in the exact middle of it.

Stupid spelling error! CHIRP!

Okay, that's my RNM obligation fulfilled. :)
Molpy down!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0825

Postby SilentTimer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

WHAT SORT OF MUSTARDY BUNGALOWS WOULD YOU ENCOUNTER IN TRYING TO ONG AN ARMY OF MOLPICOOTS? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the raptor?
Spoiler:
Neil_Boekend and waveney did.
(It's saying: Okay, humans, you have had your fun and you even flushed some beesnakes for me. Thank you for that. But now it's time for you to get into your tents. After all, this is my forest. Good night!)

Help addams!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl, congrats on your 8K posts!
I found you a chainsaw to match your boa:
Spoiler:
tumblr_n4cyc4KKLw1sa9fkto1_250.jpg
tumblr_n4cyc4KKLw1sa9fkto1_250.jpg (13.05 KiB) Viewed 34208 times

he/him/his

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:22 pm UTC

Happy 8000, BG! Yay, I've missed the Blitzwords...

Actual spoiler:
Spoiler:
blitzword madness.jpg
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mrob27

I MADE YOU A QUACKMOLPY, BUT I OTTCOLORISED IT

Postby mrob27 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:56 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh, and heh, funny story. I had it all put together and was doing a test solve when I realized that I'd spelled an answer wrong in the puzzle. ...

It used to say ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▢ but then a cheesegrater changed it to ▢▢▢▢▢▢▢▢. Mod Madness can do that sometimes :wink:

— mrob27 Image
Last edited by mrob27 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:59 pm UTC

Oooh! A crossword! I'll have to see how many words I can fill out; there's probably more than a few that reference things that happened during my lengthy absence.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0826

Postby SilentTimer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

THAT'S IT! I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOLPYCH*RPUNG GHOLPIES ON THIS MOLPYCH*RPING TREBUCHET! -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… what Cueball is doing?
Spoiler:
ergman and BlitzGirl did.
… the squirpy?
Spoiler:
It's in the leftmost tree, about 1q above ground.
… the dusk?
Spoiler:
The sky has #fefefe, not #ffffff.

Help addams!

mscha

Time Revisited - np350

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:10 pm UTC

BUTTERFUNGERS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I ACCIDENTALLY AN UNG, IS THIS DANGEROUS?

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:27 pm UTC

Ooh, a matching chainsaw! Thanks Neil! Image
Steakish work yappo, you solved it! I missed making these, too... though I think I might be a bit out of practice!
SilentTimer: Thanks for the sigratulations*!
mrob: Of course! I can't believe I didn't realize it was just a cheesegrater. :D

Redundant:
Spoiler:

pinksaw.png
pinksaw.png (18.06 KiB) Viewed 33950 times

Keywords: pinksaw pink chainsaw present BGUM smiley Neil_Boekend VITSSÅGEN, JA maybe it's hot magenta
redundant270.png
redundant270.png (112.38 KiB) Viewed 33950 times

*(signature + congratulations)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:22 pm UTC

That pink punsaw looked like something else entirely at first glance
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:24 pm UTC

Oh dear. Well, at least it fits in with the pink banana theme we have going...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

The Baron
Custom Titties for 800, Alex

Postby The Baron » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:10 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Maybe They are ramping up? I know of at least one other OTTer who applied but didn't get a pinkmagenta username yet.

No one but the Original BFFs shall be accepted, nor defaulted until the Madness begins*. People who do not petition for inclusion by the time the Madness starts never get included. This is the one and true way of things.

* Some people get pinked early 'cause it's funny.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

That was last NP. On this NP we solve puzzles and stuff. Nothin' naughty. *frumples off*

Edit: ninja'd by many mnp because I just sat on it for a while. My comments were obviously for the posts above the above post.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:35 pm UTC

Then it's good that I put some clothing on my pink banana.

Don't expect last year's avatar to stick around too long

he/him/his

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0827

Postby SilentTimer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

ROSETTA IS THE RAPTOR THAT IS CH*RPUNG CUEBALL_S -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… what Ms. Frizzle is doing?
Spoiler:
Link did.
(She's imitating Cueball's word “sleep” and his gesture. She's adding “yes” to confirm that she's understood. Her pronunciation is improving. The full stops are dots at the baseline now.)
… the dusk?
Spoiler:
The sky has #fdfdfd, not #ffffff.

Help addams!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”