1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

balthasar_s

How about some blitzing?

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:40 pm UTC

Link wrote:Treeish and steakish! So what was the cause of the m*stard, in the end?

1. SATA power cable
  2. 230VAC input connector of the power supply

ETA: unexpected pope!
what is the cause of the m*stard, in the end?
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

edo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby edo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:23 pm UTC

Nice: fractal pope
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

edo

Re: 1190: "Time": Beanish Breakthrough?

Postby edo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:32 pm UTC

edo wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vai_syllabary Wudda you folks think of this as a possible parent language to Beanish? It would also explain why the American Native Syllabary fits so well for an Euro-African Language... Trying to find a font that can produce it's question mark... would provide evidence in support or against

ok some more similarities...but only tangentially:
full stop is an astrisk, exclamation is double astrisk at the baseline (compared to line and double line diatrics above the final syllable) QM is like a "fin" scroll with slashes. detail here
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

HES

Postby HES » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:55 pm UTC

For decree: Mustard seed, usually.
He/Him/His Image

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:19 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:Congrats on doing it this far, Gingercat! Although t** **d isn't something one would want to celebrate very much.

Gingercat wrote:The Petite Ex Machina felt like it greatly took away from Cuegan's journey (the Forty would have been completely fine without them, because La Petite just cruises in from nowhere on a suitable raft) - Cuegan could have stayed with the Beanies after all and there would be little functional difference to the ending, except for the possibly-applicable maps that Megan carries.

Yes, but at least they understandq why the Sea is rising. And that it won't retreat nowhere in the near futuret. Also, in Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indy was redundantr in a similar way and it doesn't make it a worse movie. :)

qThat's what their quest was about after all, they weren't planning any rescue operations.
tIn this case, "near future" = "thousands of yips", probably.
rYes, redundant, that's the word. We all like redundancy, don't we?

That's not a bad point, actually. The idea behind the journey was indeed "To Understand", which they achieved in spades.

ZoomanSP wrote:Also, if Cuegan had stayed with the Beanies, the Forty (or at least the group that didn't go to see what the hill people left behind) might only have noticed too late that the sea1 is rising, and La Petite might not have been able to rescue them all, particularly if they had dispersed over a larger area. Furthermore, since the Forty didn't land at Château d'If, Cuegan would not have been able (without huge effort) to find them again, and would not have know whether their family and friends had survived the flood.

Another good point. And in Cuegan's situation I too would take off running, partly as an effort to save my family and partly as a way to make sure I know they're OK.

ergman wrote:I don't know, I feel like Cuegan were pretty necessary, at least to save the half of the fourty that were going to go raid the hill people. They would never have made it out in time, especially carrying lots of loot. And La Petite didn't make the raftcastle expressly for escaping, she just wanted to protect the castle.

La Petite was still a pretty big Ex Machina for someone so small ;)

Onward I Blitz!

Edit to add:

Soup wrote:This is a couple NP late, but here's ginger ice cream for gingermolp!

Ice Cream 1.JPG

Woo, ice cream at last! Hehe :mrgreen:
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0736

Postby mscha » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:30 am UTC

DAMNONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Code: Select all

AAMMAQgVAhEeAhgmCyQrEistFzAvAg8gAR8xCSg0DjE6DDRDGDxDHUpTKVVWCC9BH1FbHENHFzY5Ei4yLWJmIk1SKVxiJEhHLWhxH0A-O3RzID9AM21xL2BfID48OGlkLFJNIkE+MltVN2NcTIN2PXFrRnxzMVZOUYh5Q3VqQW5jAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0737

Postby mscha » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:30 am UTC

LARONGEALS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AAMMAQgVAhEeAhgmCyQrEistFzAvAg8gAR8xCSg0DjE7DTRCGDxDHUpTKFtiHENIKVVWH1FcIk1SEi4yH0A-H1ZhL2pxFzY5LWFmJEhHID9AL2BfMltVIkE+LFJNO3V0M21wOGlkID48N2NcPnJsRnxzUYh5TIJ2Q3VqMVZOQG5iAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:16 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0738

Postby mscha » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:30 am UTC

SEJONG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AAMMAQgVAhEeAhgmCyQrEistFzAvAg8gAR8xCSg0By5ADjE7DTNBHUpSIk1SFzY5KFxiEi4zGDxCH1FcHENIKVVWK2dyJEhHLWJlNG5yH0A-ID48MltVN2NcO3V0LFJNOGlkIkE+PXFrR31yTIN3RHVqU4t8MVZOQW5jQGxfAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time to make stuff for othercomics"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:21 am UTC

Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:09 am UTC

HES wrote:For decree: Mustard seed, usually.

For decree: LTFY*

*: Linked That For You (Hi, Link!Image)

balthasar_s wrote:And tomorrow I will have to go back from the moonbase to go to the FFS which means getting up early.

Thank you. Yes, we missed the friendly bots from your botcastle.
I hope that this went without any downsides for your FFS.
(FFSn are important, don't forget!)

n: FFS = Fahrradfinanzierungsstelle, Plural: Fahrradfinanzierungsstellen
(Fahrrad = bicycle, Finanzierung = funding,Stelle = department)
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0739

Postby mscha » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:30 pm UTC

INCREASONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AAMMAQgVAhEeAhgmCyQrEistFzAvAg8gAR8xCSg0DjE6DTRCBy9CHUpTHENHH1BbGDxCLGdyFzY5KVVWEi4yIk1SKFxiJEhHLWJmH0A-O3V0NW5yL2BfID48OGlkMltVLFJNPnFrIkE+N2NcRnxyRYSBS4J2QW5jQ3RpUot8MVZOQGxfWZSDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:06 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

Interestingly, Pinky and Clyde are a pair - they're two of the Pacman ghosts.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:43 pm UTC

Looks like our Beanie friends have made a slide, and are now waiting for the Mediterranean basin to fill up so they can use it.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:48 pm UTC

That is going to be the wildest rapids ride EVER.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0740

Postby mscha » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:30 pm UTC

BIRTHONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AAMMAQgVAhEeAhgmCyQrFzAuEistAg8gAR8xCSg0DjE7DTRCGDxCHENHHUpTBS5AFzY5K2ZxHlBcEi4zIk5SKFxiKVVWH0A-LWJmJEhHNG5yLFJNL2BfIkE+OGlkID9AID48OnRzN2NcMltVPXFrQoKCTIJ1MVZORHVqRnxzUYp7QG5jQGteWZB+WJaHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:35 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer, 500 posts wrote:
HES wrote:I hope that this went without any downsides for your FFS.

Yes.
But I lost one of the keys in my computer's keyboard.

ETA: I ported the code of the STAF to msp430-gcc.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:13 pm UTC

Here at the MFFS, the source of the m*stard is too much to deal with, things not working out, people being difficult and too damn music paperwork. That, and I am really, really, really over my MFFS. :(

That does indeed look like a slide. I guess they figured, hey, ch*rp it, everything's flooding so we might as well have fun.

ETA:
HES wrote:For decree: Mustard seed, usually.

You are so literal. Wait, maybe I have mustard seeds growing around my desk. That would explain everything!

Well, except why I have mustard seeds growing around my desk.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0741

Postby mscha » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:30 pm UTC

GRUMBLONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AAMMAQgVAhEeAhgmCyQrEistFzAvAg8gAR8xCSg0DTVDHENHHUpTGDxDBS5BIk5SDjE7KFxiFzY5H1FcH1JgJEhHEi4zK2ZxKVVWM25yLWJmH0A-L2BfOnRzLFJNID48OGlkMltVIkE+N2NcPnFrRnxyTIN3MVZOQ3RpUop7QG5jQGxfU4+CWJaHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:18 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote: and too damn music paperwork.

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:55 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote: and too damn music paperwork.

Ha! My autocorrect is so helpful! Although I work for the Music Department, so it is damn music paperwork.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:19 am UTC

Spoiler:
Gingercat wrote:
MistyCat wrote:What you say sounds very much like what I thought when I first started to read Time. I've followed XKCD from the start, but I was slow to follow Time.
I don't post much, but I read and watch everything. Because I don't post much, I still feel I don't quite deserve to be considered an active member of the group, but that doesn't stop me from every once in a while spewing forth the vomit of my random opinions. <Note to self: rephrase.>
So, Migratory Chicken. Think not upon your preferred side of the road. Do likewise. Gurgitate. Please.
ETA When the world was young I never needed to ETA. Now I do. More than once. Many times. Again. At least I can still remember to say, "Get off my lawn! HHuuurrrmmmpppphhh."
ETA I feel I should point out that the last ETA was added in the interests of humour, and I have never, not ever, not once, requested that anyone should not feel at home upon whatever portions of turf I feel I should be my own property. I do, however, reserve the future right to without prior notification request that any turf-invading molpy reconsider his/her geographical location.

It would appear that the rephrase never happened... But I think I like it better this way. It's... a very visual statement, for subject matter that is otherwise generally not (you can't usually see speech!) :)
Plus I like the feel of this post in general, especially its ending.

A common thread in both my writing and my talking - people seem so pleased when it ends.
(Yes, I know, I'm not quite that paranoid.)
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:59 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Here at the MFFS, the source of the m*stard is too much to deal with, things not working out, people being difficult and too damn music paperwork. That, and I am really, really, really over my MFFS. :(

Sounds like quite a steambottle.
lmjb1964 wrote:That does indeed look like a slide. I guess they figured, hey, ch*rp it, everything's flooding so we might as well have fun.

Maybe they're going to make a monoxylon or an einbaum? Though I do like the idea of a slide too :)
Spoiler:

I'm almost ready to reveal a secret project I've been working on, to contribute to the Conference Proceedings.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np2270

Postby mscha » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:00 am UTC

SQUANDERONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Whizbang.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THIS IS PHOTOSHOPPED. I CAN TELL BY THE MOLPHINS, AND FROM HAVING SEEN A LOT OF SPARROW-RAPTORS IN MY DIP

-- posted by randompixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:30 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

NoMouse

MY S&M, LET ME SHOW YOU IT

Postby NoMouse » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:47 pm UTC

I wonder what would happen if one tried to funnel Zanclean flood through a coffee straw.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mrob27

NOT SURE IF FINDING BLITZGIRL OR JUST KETCHUPPING

Postby mrob27 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:58 pm UTC

FAMOUS DUOS IN A RELATED OTHERCOMIC
MS. FRIZZLE AND JULIET
ETERNAL DENSITY_S AND HOBBES
FFOXY AND BULLWINKLE
HES AND GOLIATH
ROUNDHAIR AND PUMBAA
(Raftcastling optional.)

Okay, let's see, where was I? … yikes! Image

StormAngel wrote:I started playing Q04B running a binary tile-combination simulation for the first time a few dips ago, and this wowterful occurrence happened: 8-) image

Ahh, very nice use of Cueless there.
  Also, I've been appreciating every one of the OTTercomics.

Nice work on the statistics, @AluisioASG — and all the programming work, OTfS, etc.

I'm pleased to see that the combined wavefunctions selected by my observations now include a manifest @Gingercat. Welcome back!

That's quite a botrescue effort, @balthasar_s. I hope the *ndgriness didn't last long.

Sustainibiliser wrote:What do you think of my Editor's Introduction?

I think it's quite good, in all respects.

called "Flame war" back then, or "shitstorm" today

I interpret these differently. In a shitstorm, all missiles are being lobbed in the same general direction, and the histogram of individuals arranged according to "probability of being a target" has a bimodal distribution. In a flame war, the arrows are flying in all directions, and most anybody who participates in any way can be hit. Curiously, shitstorms are a sign of lawful cultures (where a majority consensus is opposed to some clearly-defined evil) but the morality of such cultures ranges from good (e.g. modern attitudes towards sexism, racism) to quite bad (e.g. attidudes that led to pogroms, gaybashing).

More ketchup later,

Jose appears alone on a line only 1867 times, by my count.

shipping
Last edited by mrob27 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:08 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Jose appears alone on a line only 1867 times, by my count.
... but he's never alone so long as the OTT is here. :)

(and where else would the OTT be?)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mrob27

MINDGREP THE MANIP, MINDGREP THE WORLD

Postby mrob27 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:44 am UTC

MORE FAMOUS DUOS FROM AN OTTIVERSE NEAR YOU
LOPSIDE AND LUIGI
AMTOO AND THREEPIO
WHITE BUNNY AND THE SUNDANCE KID
THE PINKLYMOLP AND HAMMERSTEIN
CUEGAN AND HOBBES

All righty then, Image Image

Neil_Boekend wrote:Trying to figure out what the hell is going on is the best definition of science I have seen so far. Most scientists just wish to figure out how everything works. Granted, we may not have followed the scientific method, but there were hypothesises abound and we did try to verify them.

Last wip, while waiting for this LIGO panel discussion to start, I was approached by one of those people who wolpily1 urge anyone and everyone to adopt their, ucim2, let's say "creative" beliefs about physics. (For some reason, my email also attracts a lot of these people). This person said that we can't use pure observation to verify hypotheses like those of Einstein's general relativity — it seems he rejects most of astronomy as "not sciencing3" because it is done by observing things we can't touch because they're too far away. Experiments must be done hands-on with full control — so the only way to know anything about black holes would be to make one in the laboratory, or visit one in person. (Remind me never to join his lab.) He also thought it problematic that there is no (closed-form or "classical" maths) solution for the two-body problem in general relativity. Presumably he rejects computational science, and might therefore not believe in climate models. I didn't wait around to find out.

In this post, @balthasar_s is quoting posts I made at OTT:2313:5 and OTT:2313:29. In case anyone was wondering.

For decree:
  According to Google, the most likely causes are:
That last one is a lecture by Stephen Hawking and is pretty good.

edo wrote:ok some more similarities…but only tangentially: […]

I agree with @edo on the Beanish syllabary idea. The number of agreements is so few that it can be explained by random distribution (i.e. just coincidence). One may as well propose that Beanish is descended from Armenian, Ethiopic, or Gujarati.
  The one we use, Canadian Aboriginal syllabics, might also just be coincidence resulting from Randall Munroe and James Evans having similar tastes in glyph design. Also note the derivation of the Cree consonants, several of which we use for Beanish, from Devangari (related to Gujarati). But CAS is preferable because it has a glyph for everything we've seen in Beanish, and, unlike the others, it is the one we actually use.
  More to the point (though this is still mainly just my own theory) we don't even need to decide if it's an alphabet, syllabary, abjad, or abugida to figure out most of the words. As outlined on my Beanish page, we have evidence from the author that it could be figured out, and there are clearly words and sometimes shared spellings.
  With such a small corpus, combined with the hint from Randall that it's solvable, the logical thing to do is to just work things out one word at a time, like a crossword. Pronunciation is irrelevant to the puzzle. I show that order matters (i.e. choosing which word you try to solve first can lead to dead-ends), and suggest an ordering for the first dozen or so solutions.

Neil_Boekend wrote:That is going to be the wildest rapids ride EVER.

I'd go along with the canoe theory. It suggests a level of recklessness that our Beanies seem to appreciate.

When looking for the source of @StormAngel's recent manip, I just noticed how much larger Megan's head is in frame 1598 as compared to frame 1601.

mrob27 Image

1doggedly
2um
3so totally a word.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:03 am UTC

Forwardposting to say that it's wonderful to see that Helper dropped back in to say hi. :)

And so did others!

An all-around wonderful thing to see on my continued Blitz.

*Hugs*

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:56 am UTC

All OTTers tend to occasionally gravitate back to the OTT.

*Higgs*
Wait on.

Spoiler:

StormAngel

Don't sigcourage the Thread, sigcourage the Blitzers

Postby StormAngel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:41 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Last wip, while waiting for this LEGO panel discussion to start,

MTFY (MOLDed that for you)
mrob27 wrote:When looking for the source of @StormAngel's recent manip, I just noticed how much larger Megan's head is in frame 1598 as compared to frame 1601.

Hmm, is Megan leaning closer to the camera GLR? I made the manip in <10 minutesH, so it's no surprise that I didn't notice.
I used this wiki page to find Timeframes with the right text, and stuck the works into frame 1601, because it had Cuegan both speaking.

I've recently begun learning LaTeX formatting, and even more recently (late last night) finished revising the transcript of addams' TOSC speech for the Conference Proceedings. By watching my video recording, and with liberal use of Alt-tab and the spacebar to pause/play; I have fixed several typos, improved the grammar, and added some content that was skipped by the live transcription.
Spoiler:
Annoy the Minim
Summon the Marsh'n, our Supremely Molpish Facilitator of Communication
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0625

Postby SilentTimer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:00 am UTC

HELLO. MY NAME IS SANDY. YOU SPOILERED MY LUNGPICES. PREPARE TO DIE. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the song of the tit?
Spoiler:
Megan imitated the “tsee – chirp”, but she realised that she could not imitate this one. That's the origin of her respect for Ms. Frizzle after she succeeded in this.
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:25 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Easy, I just blitzed the thread when it was one tenth of its current size. :wink:
It's quite the journey, that's for sure! And don't be too strict on yourself, should you choose to attempt it. I myself have several gaps where I skimmed or skipped to the Present for various and sundry reasons. It's much better when blitzing is an adventure, not a chore!

Heresy!kidding ;)

This particular meowlpy has thus far read (and enjoyed) everything. (Well, except for quotes, since I'd already read those, and skimmed them again in quoted form for context.) It truly has been an adventure, and it has been sorely tempting to post so many more observations than I've done so far... But then several NP would be my posts alone! Double-posting is bad, double-paging is steambottlish and induces attacks by rabid keyboards. [Flash back to the mental image of Cueball having had "keyboards wished all over him", muahahaha :twisted:]

I'm occasionally tempted to skim, but I know that if I did, I would miss some of the utterly hilarious asides that have been slipped in here and there.

I can hardly Wait to get to the Present... This Waiting, it's infuriating, it's excruciating, it's... A beesnake! Pretty! Distracted molpy...

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:45 am UTC

During the top speed of the OTT I had to skim pages. I wasn't even blizing, I was just ketching up!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

NoMouse

VITSSÅGEN IS THE OTTERCOMIC OF THE SKITCHERTS

Postby NoMouse » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:37 pm UTC

There's mustard in the new OtherComic!

ETA: Behold! This is now the Official Depiction of Mustard™, made by GLR himself.
The Official Color of Mustard™ is RGB(233, 209, 23) or #e9d117 in HEX.

RSIR:
Spoiler:
OfficialMustard.png
OfficialMustard.png (15.11 KiB) Viewed 13067 times
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:32 pm UTC

MistyCat wrote:
Spoiler:
Gingercat wrote:
MistyCat wrote:What you say sounds very much like what I thought when I first started to read Time. I've followed XKCD from the start, but I was slow to follow Time.
I don't post much, but I read and watch everything. Because I don't post much, I still feel I don't quite deserve to be considered an active member of the group, but that doesn't stop me from every once in a while spewing forth the vomit of my random opinions. <Note to self: rephrase.>
So, Migratory Chicken. Think not upon your preferred side of the road. Do likewise. Gurgitate. Please.
ETA When the world was young I never needed to ETA. Now I do. More than once. Many times. Again. At least I can still remember to say, "Get off my lawn! HHuuurrrmmmpppphhh."
ETA I feel I should point out that the last ETA was added in the interests of humour, and I have never, not ever, not once, requested that anyone should not feel at home upon whatever portions of turf I feel I should be my own property. I do, however, reserve the future right to without prior notification request that any turf-invading molpy reconsider his/her geographical location.

It would appear that the rephrase never happened... But I think I like it better this way. It's... a very visual statement, for subject matter that is otherwise generally not (you can't usually see speech!) :)
Plus I like the feel of this post in general, especially its ending.

A common thread in both my writing and my talking - people seem so pleased when it ends.
(Yes, I know, I'm not quite that paranoid.)

MistyCat, you crack me up.

This seems to be RELATED to both the What If and the OtherCOmic:

ETA: Hm. I wish that was bigger.
Spoiler:
Some joke options:
1) That's what she said!
2) That's what he said! (I want to be inclusive.)
3) Not the first time I've had that thought.
4) Said no one, ever, to John Holmes.

I had a whole post but I lost it because the system had logged me out. Again. How long have I been doing this? Why don't I ever learn?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:32 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I had a whole post but I lost it because the system had logged me out. Again. How long have I been doing this? Why don't I ever learn?
We'll eventually build a system where you're logged in on demand.
Speaking of which:

PS [git master ↑ +2 ~1 -0 !] ..\build\install\sfr-unchirper\bin\sfr-unchirper regurgitate -C "basex://admin:admin@" -A avatars -M messages.xml -U users.xml -S avatars.sql -H 2c347a417c5329e8443bd9a6e1863357
Exporting users 100% [===================================================================================================================================================================================] 1422/1422 (0:00:05 / 0:00:00)
Exporting messages 100% [==============================================================================================================================================================================] 97699/97699 (0:36:15 / 0:00:00)
Fetching avatars 100% [====================================================================================================================================================================================] 478/479 (0:03:55 / 0:00:00)

The phpBB side is not nearly as tidy, though.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:27 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:All OTTers tend to occasionally gravitate back to the OTT.

*Higgs*

:)

SilentTimer wrote:Did you notice …
… the song of the tit?[

Thankfully, I have not noticed any songs emanating from tits. I think that would be alarming. Especially if it was from your own. :shock:
NoMouse wrote:There's mustard in the new OtherComic!

ETA: Behold! This is now the Official Depiction of Mustard™, made by GLR himself.
The Official Color of Mustard™ is RGB(233, 209, 23) or #e9d117 in HEX.

RSIR:
Spoiler:
OfficialMustard.png

Hallelujah! A sign from GLR!

AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I had a whole post but I lost it because the system had logged me out. Again. How long have I been doing this? Why don't I ever learn?
We'll eventually build a system where you're logged in on demand.

Thanks. I need something to save me from myself.

mrob27 wrote:[center]FAMOUS DUOS IN A RELATED OTHERCOMIC
MS. FRIZZLE AND JULIET
ETERNAL DENSITY_S AND HOBBES
FFOXY AND BULLWINKLE
HES AND GOLIATH
ROUNDHAIR AND PUMBAA

Ah, yes, the ancient story of HES and Goliath, in which the hamply HES slew the giant Goliath by tripping him with a hamply ball.

Also, I somehow feel like ED is probably very similar to Calvin, so that one seems pretty apt. :)

Thanks for all the steakish Beanish analysis, mrob!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

Similar to Calvin

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:36 am UTC

NoMouse wrote:I wonder what would happen if one tried to funnel Zanclean flood through a coffee straw.
This happens:
NoMouse wrote:Image
Wow, it's like you predicted the OtherComic!
Or rather, since that's a reference to the What-If, GLR predicted the OtherComic. That's less amazing. Actually, it looks like the What-If directly inspired the OtherComic.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”