1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:58 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:I hope this current lack of posts is just caused by some molpishness in the OutsideH for everymolpy. Is "Molpishness in the OutsideH a form of Holy Contradiction?
Guilty as charged. And then some! I shall return!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:05 pm UTC

Steakish (and quite true) OTTerComic, svenman!

ggh wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:I hope this current lack of posts is just caused by some molpishness in the OutsideH for everymolpy. Is "Molpishness in the OutsideH a form of Holy Contradiction?
I'm glad your trip has been molpish!
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:31 pm UTC

Blindposting to say I'm sorry I've been absent. I was out running around the US Northwest, and now I'm trying to catch up at the MFFS, but I will be back soon! And with news!

Hugs!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:49 pm UTC

And I'm currently being busy working on an interface.

Redundant.
Spoiler:
bstaintf.png
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:59 pm UTC

I was indeed on the Outside, in the US Northeast with no internet. It is nice to be back though! *dives into ketchup*
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

iskinner

Postby iskinner » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:20 pm UTC

NP1308

Latent22 wrote:http://youtu.be/UyTN6cbEL1g

This is a test video of the OTVO project

I am currently in the middle of watching this for the first time. I just heard the first spoken dialog. This is ABSOLUTELY WOWTERFUL!!! I sure hope as chirp that this project was completed someday! Otherwise I will be a very sad molpy.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:31 am UTC

iskinner wrote:NP1308

I am currently in the middle of watching this for the first time. I just heard the first spoken dialog. This is ABSOLUTELY WOWTERFUL!!! I sure hope as chirp that this project was completed someday! Otherwise I will be a very sad molpy.

So do I, Good Blitzer, so do I.
Hi iskinner, hope you see this soon.
lmjb1964 wrote:Blindposting to say I'm sorry I've been absent. I was out running around the US Northwest, and now I'm trying to catch up at the MFFS, but I will be back soon! And with news!

Hugs!

>Hugs Back<
Hi lmjb.
macraw83 wrote:Steakish (and quite true) OTTerComic, svenman!

Got me to chuckle...
Hi, macraw83 & svenman.

taixzo wrote:I was indeed on the Outside, in the US Northeast with no internet. It is nice to be back though! *dives into ketchup*

I've got trip in the near future, but that's got not-so-much to do with the Past.
Hi, taixzo.

balthasar_s wrote:And I'm currently being busy working on an interface.

If I could come up with some semi-witty remark about what's going on with "The Device", I'd make it. {Oh, well}.
Hi, balthasar_s

ggh wrote:

I guess this is what summoned me!?
Hi, ggh & ZoomanSP.
I will return. The 'when' is the detail I'm looking into.
Wait Well OTTers.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:34 am UTC

Wow - eleven dix on the Outside. Time is slippery - the sea must have eels. Maybe that's where hovercraft come from! Anyway, to follow my own decree of two NP ago:
ucim, as Pope of NP 2515 wrote:edit for unexpected popitude: Reasons to be happy~
I got to meet ggh in person! 'twas brief, but awesomefully treeish, and I got to meet the Little Wonder (who well deserves her moniker) too! How much better does it get? :) 'twill happen again. Following the First Commandment hath it's seaish rewards!

Gingercat wrote:Out of sheer curiosity, who reads the Chronicles of Torgos?
I've read the first few, but Outside claimed me and demanded I annoy you-know-who. I've been enjoying it; in college we had Dungeons and Dragons, and I played it quite a bit. Perhaps a bit too much. :)

Gingercat wrote:I'll have another Torgos update soon.

PS: How do the navigation links work? Those seem like an excellent idea, and I'll retroedit them into the previous Chronicles as well once I know.
Ninja'd by SBN and macraw83
Spoiler:
but they are just links to the previous post. The post number itself (and the little page icon next to it) is a direct link to the post, so right-click and save the link to the clipboard. Then use the [ url ] tag to insert it as a link in the appropriate "next" or "previous" post. [ url=http://whatever]text[/url ] (but without the spaces). Since I've put the AotC links in the wiki (it is, after all, a Holy Book), I link to that wiki page for the table of contents.
Thanks for the cake ZoomanSP! Tree Delish! And I notice HES and I are pretty much neck and neck. Feel free to indulge! (I see later in the thread he did come to the party!)

lmjb1964 wrote:These were really a kick in the pants. If I wasn't such a loafer, I could have looked for some as well.
Are you telling me you feel like Sicily?
macraw83 wrote:I wonder where BlitzGirl has run off to this time... we've had terrifyingly few punsaws in here recently...
Maybe RAZOR got her. Dunno. But the only one I'm familiar with is kind of dull at this point, and would lose to a punsaw.

ggh wrote:Any idea why my MacBook Pro would run heaps cooler in the northern hemisphere?
The electron spin is in the opposite direction, so when rendering bits whose electrons are designed to go the other way, eddy currents are generated, and this creates heat (and higher resistance).

ninja-ing me by a few NP, addams wrote:Water and everything else spins Backwards in the Southern Hemisphere.
The Electrons spinning backwards in conjunction with Otters=Heat.
What did I tell you? :)

Eternal Density wrote:4400? There was a TV show named that. Summerish Glau was on it.
Spring Glau?

lmjb1964 wrote:...Despite a serious heart murmur, the x-ray showed that Dixie's heart is in good shape. And her kidney function has actually improved since the last time! [...] And she charmed the staff at the office [...]

And then I drove home at 5 PM on a Friday, and there was NO traffic. It was weird, but molpish.

AND, I've gotten the informal offer for one of the MFFS's [...] a raise and getting away from my difficult boss. [...] I would actually have an office, not a cubicle! Wheee!
Wowterful news all around! Room for your kettledrums? :twisted:

mrob27 wrote:(how do I type an e with acute accent? Compose key?
)
Compose key is the best, but if your leopard doesn't have a suitable candidate (you can customize it, but only in a limited manner) it gets inconvenient. However, you can try installing character palette. I run gnome and just added it to my launcher (it comes with ubuntu 14.04) and then made my own custom palette.

The ALT-130 trick is a Windows thing.

thunk wrote: But four mips later, I think I've completely lost it. Blitzing is a slog, not a source of enjoyment. Even though I have only about 450 pages to go.
Just go out for a long pint. There are many ways to Time; it is not necessary to actually blitz it. In fact, the Pope himself has not blitzed the thread. (Of course, blitzing is pretty hazardous, and you saw how the Pope cowered in the BlitzRocket!)

balthasar_s wrote:I can generate 0s and 1s so quickly (1.5MHz) that the speaker will not be able to keep up with it.
So, this is the EE version of the EOTT ("early OTT"). You have your signal blitz the speaker. Genius!

Welcome jeslek! Pull up a chair! (but not the Comfy Chair, unless you are fond of heresy and chocolate!). Come join us - there are sequels and prequels and otherquels to Time. And a wiki. And lots of other stuff.

Sciscitor wrote:Castles made of castles. [...]
This one is mine.
There are many like it...

thunk wrote:I was also messing with <computery stuff>. It wasn't working. Almost out of computing resources.
Let me help you.
Spoiler:
Actually, you only need one of each, but redundancy is molpish!

addams wrote:Maybe, I can fix it Tomorrow.
Did you fix it? Did it fix itself? I suppose this is a silly question, since if not, I won't get an answer, and if so, there is only one answer. But I will wait for it.

iskinner wrote:Someday! .... If I can stop having these multi-mip hiatuses.
I think I want to go drinking with you! You are the master of the long pint! No matter, we will wait for it!
iskinner wrote: I look forward to seeing what content you all have managed to create to fill all those pages.
I think you'll find many things like trees.

Febrion wrote:Blindpost from page 2498...
Yay Febrion! Been wondering where you've been to. Seems lately lots of people have taken to long pints. :) I suppose I've been guilty too. I've actually made some beer, but they've been short pints. I don't have pint bottles.
Febrion wrote:I don't actually own any time, and even if I did, where would I take it?
Well, since time and space are the same thing, if you had time, you'd have the space to put it in. (Maybe that's why my basement is so crowded!)

addams wrote:For ggh and her Family of Cousins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8AR_ovbwXI
Such memories! It was one of my mom's favorites, and we got a tape deck when I was a kid and I recorded all her songs on her own mixtape, and mine on my mixtape (only we didn't call it that). But I got to hear and love her songs too. "Autumn leaves must fall" is very effectively performed. Yeah, 1964... just when everything was going to change. Not for the worse - the Beatles were treeish. But everything was different after that.

azule wrote:I was reading an article about redheads (who usually should be called "orangeheads"), and I figured out some thoughts related to Time (OTC). I made the following wiki page: Colors.
Steakish! I came across somewhere (probably either here, or triggered by here in my first reading) that red always comes before orange (thus explaining why there is no robin orangebreast in the dictionary)
Spoiler:
As a kid I once wrote a poem in which the line "the reddest robin you've ever seen" was most likely triggered by my having seen a cardinal.
But I'm not buying the explanation in the link: "The researchers believe it has to do with the sensitivity of the human eye to certain wavelengths, and how well we can differentiate colors within the spectrum." I'd go with it if in fact the sensitivity of the human eye got better as language evolved, but I doubt that's the case. My theory (which I just pulled from a place where you wouldn't see any color to speak of) is that it has to do with the need to identify, distinguish, and/or communicate nuances of color, rather than the ability to do so. The link states that red arrives on the color scene before just about anything else, and blue is a relative latecomer. Well, red is the color of blood. That would be pretty important. And blue is the color of... well, the sky and not a lot else, so the need to distinguish may be riverish.

iskinner wrote:
BytEfLUSh wrote:how much longer will OTT survive?
Three plus years and counting ....
Heresy! It will last a hundred years and a hundred centuries. Yea even unto a thousand lifetimes will the One True Thread be here, active, alive, and molpish!

Thunk wrote:As per the standard in a certain OtherOtherComic, the goal is no less than Five at all times.
I thought five was right out!

svenman wrote:Have a new OTTercomic:
Treeish!

iskinner wrote:I am currently in the middle of watching this for the first time. I just heard the first spoken dialog. This is ABSOLUTELY WOWTERFUL!!! I sure hope as chirp that this project was completed someday!
It has been. It just isn't yet. So you can still participate!

Hmmm... it seems NP2517 is the NP of returning. So, I'm going to go all 1990s and say "Me too!"

Oh... and right now, There are four fours!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:07 am UTC

It has been a busy summer for OTTers.
Time goes by so quickly when it is fun.

Even I have managed to have been busy.
Busy from my toe to the top of my head.

I stubbed my smallest toe on my left foot.
It is swollen and bruised up to my ankle.

It has been a very long Time sense I have stubbed a toe.
That is something I did as a child. I stopped, because Oww!

I stumbled and stubbed the top of my head, too.
It seemed like a good idea at the Time.

I complimented a woman on her hair.
It is cute. She cut it her very own self.

She agreed to do that hair cut on my head.
Then I would be cute, too. A good idea!

After we visited and she cut my hair,
I was tired and fell asleep.

When I woke up I looked in the mirror....
I faced a Godwin! I have Hitler's Haircut!!

She has naturally wavy hair. I don't.
What is cute on her is a Godwin on me!

I can't put my head in a shoe to hide it.
I will be wearing my Beanie!

I would rather have the Dali Lama's haircut
than to have a Godwin on my head!

My toe will heal.
My hair will grow.

I will Wait For It.
Will you be Waiting, too?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

thunk

1190: "Time": IN THE OTT, NO-ONE CAN HEAR YOU THUNK

Postby thunk » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:36 am UTC

Thanks for the support, xuys. Except for you, Automome.
I'll just be practicing my long pint skills for a while longer, and that's perfectly molpish!
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:23 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
ggh wrote:

I guess this is what summoned me!?
Hi, ggh & ZoomanSP.
I will return. The 'when' is the detail I'm looking into.
Wait Well OTTers.

Hi pelrigg!
*waits for it*
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:35 pm UTC

Night is falling where I am and the stars are coming out. Three bright stars are close together above the southern horizon, almost in a straight line. I noticed them already yesterday. Just from looking at them, I could tell that the lowest and faintest of the three is a fixed star, it twinkles with a reddish hue, and the other two are planets shining steadily even that low above the horizon. The lower and brighter of the two planets has a reddish hue too, I figured it had to be Mars.

Tonight I decided to look up what they are. I was right about Mars and about the other planet too, that one turned out to be Saturn. And the reddish fixed star is Antares. Let's enjoy the sight while it's still there!

Did you know that the name of Antares means "counter-Mars" in Greek? It is because the two celestial bodies share a similar reddish colour. All the more remarkable that the two are appear currently so close together in the sky.

Edit: Accuracy is molpish.
Last edited by svenman on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:35 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

thunk

1190: "ia;[1, 1, 0:1]✨es"

Postby thunk » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:42 am UTC

Seen on BBC:
Has someone's wavefunction collapsed on the freeway again?

Spoiler:
redundant:
Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 05.34.22.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-24 at 05.34.22.png (15.56 KiB) Viewed 12913 times

No redundakitties, I don't want to wreck my vehicle.
troo dat

addams

Postby addams » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:22 am UTC

svenman wrote:Night is falling where I am and the stars are coming out. Three bright stars are close together above the southern horizon, almost in a straight line. I noticed them already yesterday. Just from looking at them, I could tell that the lowest and faintest of the three is a fixed star, it twinkles with a reddish hue, and the other two are planets shining steadily even that low above the horizon. The lower and brighter of the two planets has a reddish hue too, I figured it had to be Mars.

Tonight I decided to look up what they are. I was right about Mars and about the other planet too, that one turned out to be Saturn. And the reddish fixed star is Antares. Let's enjoy the sight while it's still there!

Did you know that the name of Antares means "counter-Mars" in Greek? It is because the two celestial bodies share a similar reddish colour. All the more remarkable that the two are currently so close together in the sky.

There they are.
Two red stars.

I love you xuys.
You make the world so interesting.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:33 pm UTC

Hi pelrigg! Hope everything is molpish with you!

taixzo wrote:

I was indeed on the Outside, in the US Northeast with no internet. It is nice to be back though! *dives into ketchup*
Hey, that's my neck of the woods these xips! Whereabouts were you molpying around?

iskinner wrote:NP1308

It would be nice if we could get back on that...

ucim wrote:
Febrion wrote:Blindpost from page 2498...
Yay Febrion! Been wondering where you've been to. Seems lately lots of people have taken to long pints. :) I suppose I've been guilty too. I've actually made some beer, but they've been short pints. I don't have pint bottles.
My wife just put her next beer in the fermenter a few xips ago, it'll be a mip or two before we bottle it though. She usually makes "short pints", but also makes a few "bombers" (22 oz, I think), so I guess those would be "long pints".

Thanks for sharing your celestial observations, svenman! I quite enjoyed the imagery, I'll need to see if I can find them tonip. There are times that I wish I knew more about the motions of the stars and planets across the night sky, but my attention span is not nearly long enough for me to keep track of what's there :(

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:45 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:Hi pelrigg! Hope everything is molpish with you!

taixzo wrote:

Hey, that's my neck of the woods these xips! Whereabouts were you molpying around?

Up in New England, though I'm back in Penn's Woods now.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:44 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Hi pelrigg! Hope everything is molpish with you!

taixzo wrote:

Up in New England, though I'm back in Penn's Woods now.
I didn't know you were so close! I pass through Penn's Woods whenever I drive to the Old Dominion of the Virgin Queen (Elizabeth I, apparently), which happens occasionally and will be more frequent during the fall.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:31 pm UTC

Molpy up!5 Finished my ketchup57, and as usual had tons2000 of replies I would have liked to make, but I never feel right--> to comment on something that's days24 old. Obviously that's not the case here in the OTT, and I have absolutely no problem when others do itlol, so I don't know whyY I feel badly about it. Anyway, though, rest assured that I thoroughly enjoyed everything that everyone wrote, and the only reason I haven't commented on any of it was because I have a weird aversion to replying to oldupb comments. In theory, I could re-ketchup, and take notes for a mega-reply10^6, but I just don't think I have the time1190 so I'll just have to find the time1190. So, if I can, I'll try to make [1111 1000]2 a good [1]248.

Right outI think that's the first time I've ever said that
2I enjoy ketchup as revisiting friends in the OTT, reading what I've missed while away. I don't enjoy ketchup as a condiment9.
noAnd yet I enjoy mustard as a condiment, but not when it ch*rps
1000Not really - while nearly everythingI think has mass/weightc, this is still a hefty exaggeration...
really!Technically, even intangible things
'c' is bigI know they're not the same thing exactly, but in this context it doesn't matter
^^^Or left<--
nbsp'Left' is an opposite of 'right', and so is 'wrong'. So, I'm going toleft start using them interchangeably.
wrongHonestly I'll probably forget to, but if I do remember, that's why
60Or even hours
hehWhile true, that's not what I meant.
()Other than I'm just weirdtransistor
BJTNo, that would be wired
FETNot saying weird is bad of course
apsRelatively, anyway, 'old' is a subjective term, especially in this context
μέγαςThat actually sounds pretty cool, so maybe I'll have to try to make it happen
timeI probably still won't be able to reply as much as I'd like, and whatever I do will probably take forever, but it's worth a shot, right?

p.p.s. I missed y'all :-D

*** EDIT ***
This one came in after I had started this (I had to take a break halfway through, FFS stuff...), so I can reply now :-D
macraw83 wrote:I didn't know you were so close! I pass through Penn's Woods whenever I drive to the Old Dominion of the Virgin Queen (Elizabeth I, apparently), which happens occasionally and will be more frequent during the fall.

I, on the other hand, am very familiar with the opposite journey, from the ODVQ to PW. I used to have some family up there, but they all moved further away, so I don't see them as often. (Not that I saw most of them that often anyway) It's all related!
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

thunk

1190: "Time": IT'S VESTS-OF-MANY-POCKETSES GONE WILD 4!

Postby thunk » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:46 pm UTC

Still closer than the land of the Red People, or that of the Ordinary Speakers.
troo dat

Soup

Postby Soup » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:58 pm UTC

svenman wrote:Night is falling where I am and the stars are coming out. Three bright stars are close together above the southern horizon, almost in a straight line. I noticed them already yesterday. Just from looking at them, I could tell that the lowest and faintest of the three is a fixed star, it twinkles with a reddish hue, and the other two are planets shining steadily even that low above the horizon. The lower and brighter of the two planets has a reddish hue too, I figured it had to be Mars.

Molpish, I noticed and looked up the same thing last nip!H "Star Chart" is my friend :P

H UT+5 give or take DST
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

iskinner

Postby iskinner » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:45 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Image

Nearly half way to this prediction. Has Dr. Seuss been OTTified yet? Will his work have been by the time I reach the future present, hopefully before the year 2020.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:19 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:I, on the other hand, am very familiar with the opposite journey, from the ODVQ to PW. I used to have some family up there, but they all moved further away, so I don't see them as often. (Not that I saw most of them that often anyway) It's all related!
I used to make the journey from the ODVQ through PW to get to the capital of the Land Named After York, England, for about a yip and a half until I found a new MFFS and moved up here to live with my wife, and now I make the reverse trip to see my family, so I'm quite familiar with both directions of the trip myself :P

thunk

1190: "Time": LOLI LOEV BOTCASTLE

Postby thunk » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:00 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:Land Named After York, England

Actually named after this xuy, and not directly after the city of Jorvík.
troo dat

macraw83

Re: 1190: "Time": LOLI LOEV BOTCASTLE

Postby macraw83 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:25 pm UTC

thunk wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Land Named After York, England

Actually named after this xuy, and not directly after the city of Jorvík.
Huh, guess you do learn something new every day. I'd go and edit it, but preservation of Timelines and all...

Gingercat

The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 6

Postby Gingercat » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:57 am UTC

Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 6! The theme of today's story is "Fire, Bugs and Firebugs", where Torgos and Co. prove once again that if something can't be solved with fire, then you simply NEED MORE FIRE. And bugs! Bugs are important too.

<- Volume 5

Standard Disclaimer:
Spoiler:
(As always, unless something is prefaced with "OOC", references to "I" or "me" are completely in-character, telling the story from his point of view as if this is his journal. Occasionally liberties must be taken, such as referring to dice rolls; let's just chalk those up to him firmly believing that the gods roll dice sometimes to determine how they'll treat him and others in various situations just for fun. It's not entirely inaccurate...)

The journal continues here, these pages seem rather crisped and singed:

Spoiler:
After a long rest in the unbelievably handy Leomund's Tiny Hut that I'm able to conjure, we set off after the bearers of our treasure chests. Tracking them was quite easy to do, with them both being in a miserable hurry to get away from us and having to carry those massive chests. Even if it occurred to them to cover their tracks somehow, we've got aerial scouting! That, and a strong determination to get hold of "our" treasure, that we've worked so hard to obtain from those less deserving of it.

We found them in quite a sizeable clearing in a forest. No ambush possible here, they know we're probably coming after them so they've cleared a huge area with a massive bonfire in the middle and torches around the perimeter. The bonfire presents an exciting prospect: We could have someone fly above it and drop a water pellet into it - The sudden expansion of that much water right in the middle of a huge fire would result in quite a satisfying explosion and subsequent steam cloud. We've also got a keg of ridiculously strong alcohol (it WILL send you blind if you drink it; the greater the amount consumed, the faster the permanent blindness sets in) that would do the same job. Unfortunately, the Hobgoblins have placed our giant treasure chests about six feet away from the bonfire and equal distance from each other (in a triangle around the fire), so any explosion centred on it would also badly damage them and possibly destroy the contents. A pity... I wasn't the only one excited by the idea of "applying fire to the problem" approach.

Our resident warlock decides to see if he can get a good idea of troop layout, so he uses a Black Fly Figurine to summon a fly that's large enough for him to ride, and takes off. Unfortunately for us, the fly is... Well, quite loud, and quite big (and damned ugly); for him to be close enough to see anything useful, he needs to be close enough for them to see and hear him as well. He's out of range for them to hit him with spears and arrows, but his scouting means we don't have the element of surprise. Not that it means much here, with such a large brightly-lit area and all of them scattered around so much they'd be able to see us well before we got within attack range anyway. There are quite the contingent of Hobgoblins present, but little else.

Seeing no other real option, our barbarian friend decides to charge in and start swinging, in Werewolf form. I quite like her direct approach; it allows myself and the sorceror to drop some nice Fire Surprise on the now clustering groups of enemies. Much like our previous battle, this one is going well and truly our way when we get a bit of a surprise: Six Hobgoblin Chieftains arriving from the air, riding on Wyverns! Five of them land immediately near the bonfire and one hovers above one of our treasure chests, lowering ropes for the nearby troops to attach to it so they can airlift it away. The barbarian sees the ropes being dropped, immediately understands the intention, and with a scream of rage that roughly translates to "NOT ON MY WATCH, YOU DON'T!" she jumps up onto the chest, slashing the ropes and openly daring those nearby to try and take it away from over... er, under her dead body.

I laugh evilly and point my staff directly at her, surrounded by attacking wyverns and hobgoblin chieftains and troops. INSECT PLAGUE! A howling stream of bugs pours from my staff and through the air in a bee-line toward her, before exploding into an immense cloud of biting, stinging pain with her at the center. Since the barbarian is completely immune to them (they're only "magical" in how they were summoned, they're not considered to be a magical attack / weapon), the enemy troops around her find themselves taking 4d10 in damage immediately (I rolled a total of 33!), but the two wyverns directly in the cloud and their riders unwisely decide not to leave this sphere of pain, preferring to try and take out the barbarian and rescue the treasure. The insects go to town on them, quickly inflicting another 32 damage by my reckoning, and severely weakening them.

The battle rages on, with very little damage happening to any of us and the warlock managing to Dominate Beast one of the wyverns after its rider gets himself toasted by one of the many well-placed Fireball spells. I use my staff to grow a scorpion into a Giant Scorpion; while it doesn't get to do any damage, it does tank an impressive 54 damage that would otherwise have come our way, so we were all quite respectful of it. The one smart hobgoblin of the lot decides to leg it instead of dying for a worthless cause (the barbarian has plans to track him down anyway, too bad for him), and soon the day is ours. As we gather up our treasure (and there's a decent amount of it too), we realise that there's quite a sizeable forest fire happening from the liberal application of fire to our enemies. Oh well...

And you know what's funny? No sign of any giants! Given their previous losses, I imagine they simply gave up and went home.

-> Volume 7
Last edited by Gingercat on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:17 am UTC

SBN wrote:I call it the Wolpy Door Opening Place, because the wolpies can't do it themselves, but always seem to find themselves in urgent need of being on the other side from where they are.

letmein.jpg

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time likes the present"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:57 am UTC

/me chuckles at Gingercat's picture

Sorry I kinda forgot the OTT for a few dips. I've been a little distracted as I had a molpy* removed from my head recently so I have scalp-stitches which are a bit painful and distracting.

*minus the compy part

ETA all my siblings experienced and expressed amusement when shown the wolpy picture
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:11 am UTC

@Gingercat

Exactly that.
Most of my outside has been molpish, or at least molpish-ish, but there has been quite a lot of it.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Link

1190: "Time": IT'S COLPICES GONE WILD II!

Postby Link » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:03 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
Molpy up!5 Finished my ketchup57, and as usual had tons2000 of replies I would have liked to make, but I never feel right--> to comment on something that's days24 old. Obviously that's not the case here in the OTT, and I have absolutely no problem when others do itlol, so I don't know whyY I feel badly about it.
me_irl.jpg

I've been busy molpifying my mum's kitchen during the past few wips, and sort of forgot to OTT in the mean Time. Perhaps because I've sort of been absorbed in lurking on Imgur. In any case, I shall repent by way of Zanclean amounts of chocolate.

I found something treeish and useful for the MTA-users here: a Greasemonkey-like extension for mobile versions of Firefox called usi. At the Time of writing, it has 1190 users, too! Most basic Greasemonkey user scripts appear to work out of the box, including AUTOMOMEify and @azule's Beanish Type script.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:47 pm UTC

Yay, another episode of the Adventures of Torgos!

Link wrote:I found something treeish and useful for the MTA-users here: a Greasemonkey-like extension for mobile versions of Firefox called usi. At the Time of writing, it has 1190 users, too! Most basic Greasemonkey user scripts appear to work out of the box, including AUTOMOMEify and @azule's Beanish Type script.
Treeish find! I imagine there's one available for Chrome as well, may have to try to set something up...

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:17 pm UTC

Gingercat wrote:
SBN wrote:I call it the Wolpy Door Opening Place, because the wolpies can't do it themselves, but always seem to find themselves in urgent need of being on the other side from where they are.

letmein.jpg

:azule:

I miss everyone. I'm sort of drowning in Outside lately. Some of it is molpish, but there's just a lot, and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. And I'm having OTT withdrawal. :(

But I do have news! I have a new MFFS. I'll start probably in a few weeks. It's also here on campus, but on the other side of campus. My boss at this MFFS is pretty difficult to deal with, so I'm looking forward to a new job with a more reasonable boss. (I already know her, and she's very molpish.) My new job is also less hours, which will help since it isn't my only MFFS. So hopefully life will be less stressful and I will have more time for other important things, like Time.

Molpy out. One of these days, there will be ketchup! (Wasn't that the title of a movie?)

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:54 am UTC

Hey ED. Long Time not on the same page.{T}

Eternal Density wrote:/me chuckles at Gingercat's picture

Sorry I kinda forgot the OTT for a few dips. I've been a little distracted as I had a molpy* removed from my head recently so I have scalp-stitches which are a bit painful and distracting.

*minus the compy part

ETA all my siblings experienced and expressed amusement when shown the wolpy picture

I'm sorry to hear/read of your less-than molpy yip. {"I'm sorry for you troubles, Captain. They sound many."} I hope your road to recovery is as brief as possible. At least you've got family around to help with a hand or sometimes just an earJ. Keep "Waiting". Keep "going" ninja-buddy. Don't let the "Space Bugs bite."O

Gingercat wrote:Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 6!

Whoa! Do I have some ketching up to do. I didn't even know this existed.S
And I had a good laugh about the wolpy pic. I needed that.
Oh. And "Hi" Gingercat.H

Wanted to say "hey" to those who posted after me on this page: addams. ucim. thunk[?], SBN, FebrionY, Soup, Link, and a second "hey" to the ones who I've mentioned and posted some more since.K This is just a quick stop. I have to be working on my trip to the State of The Fourteeners this wipend. (Let's put it this way: I'm going to be spending a dip plus on the "Grey Wolpy" and that's not the less-than-molpy part.)

{ :oops: }E

{T} This being Time, we can always be on the same page ever when not on the "Same Page".
J Sometimes that's what you need, someone who will simply listen.
O Or did they already???
[?] This might be the first Time I've said "Hiya" to ya, so also: "Welcome to the fire."
Y Yes, you are the reason I'm using footnotes....
K You know who you are. I hope!
S Sorry.
H This visit I thought I'd give a wave to everyone on the page.
E To show how long it's been since I did a "fancy" post; all of the footnotes (sup) I had as (sub) until I saw the Preview.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:05 am UTC

Hi pelrigg :)

And hi everyone else!

I'm going to Blitz the AotC soon; I don't believe I've read the entire thing yet. The bits I have seen made me laugh loudly and often, the writing within them is fantastic.

I feel that I'm in need of another good Blitz, so that will be a good spot to start.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:15 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Wanted to say "hey" to those who posted after me on this page: addams. ucim. thunk[?], SBN, FebrionY, Soup, Link, and a second "hey" to the ones who I've mentioned and posted some more since.K This is just a quick stop. I have to be working on my trip to the State of The Fourteeners this wipend. (Let's put it this way: I'm going to be spending a dip plus on the "Grey Wolpy" and that's not the less-than-molpy part.)

GHW and GHPFP just had to do that. (On 4 separate Grey Wolpies, precisely.) It was a rough trip. Try to move around as much and as often as you can.
May your travels be molpish.

lmjb1964 wrote:But I do have news! I have a new MFFS. I'll start probably in a few weeks.

Congratulations!

Edited to fix brackets
Last edited by SBN on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:37 am UTC

Congrats on the new MFFS, Laura Mae!

Gingercat wrote:I'm going to Blitz the AotC soon; I don't believe I've read the entire thing yet. The bits I have seen made me laugh loudly and often, the writing within them is fantastic.

I feel that I'm in need of another good Blitz, so that will be a good spot to start.
I've read them all at one point or another, but frequently felt like I was forgetting crucial bits of information, as there were yip-long gaps between when I read chapters at times, so I'm almost halfway through a Blitz of them myself! They are quite molpish :)

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time likes the presents"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:57 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Hey ED. Long Time not on the same page.{T}

{ :oops: }E

{T} This being Time, we can always be on the same page ever when not on the "Same Page".
J Sometimes that's what you need, someone who will simply listen.
O Or did they already???
[?] This might be the first Time I've said "Hiya" to ya, so also: "Welcome to the fire."
Y Yes, you are the reason I'm using footnotes....
K You know who you are. I hope!
S Sorry.
H This visit I thought I'd give a wave to everyone on the page.
E To show how long it's been since I did a "fancy" post; all of the footnotes (sup) I had as (sub) until I saw the Preview.

Heya pelrigg!
I'm doing pretty well, other than the stitches I've just got uncharacteristically short hair. I'm otherwise well. And lazy.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:28 am UTC

And yet another Blitzpost. This time on the occasion of 90% (2266/2517)

The BFTF Ongs continue, activity on the moon dispassionately observing the odd life-forms below (well, maybe not to dispassionately...)
Mysterious messages have been found in the mr*bdex. After decoding they were found to be stories about bots!. In particular the adventures of the two great bOTTifactors Mrorl and Baltharicius (and I really must check out the works of Stanislaw Lem!)
t1i has been repeat Onging as well, this time with a steakish commentary from the author. And the 'Making of t1I' series of posts has also been great fun to read! Thanks SilentTimer!

Of course the major great event of this period has been the conference in Bochum! Science is being done in this thread!. Sadly, as a blitzer I will never be able to properly experience the event, but from all accounts it was a most molpish event. Maybe someday some similar sort of gathering will take place that I will get a chance to go to. I shall pray to the great bOTTifactors...

Onwards we go. Next (and final) stop 95%

--Rakhal

HES

Re: 1190: "Time": Under pressure (dun dun dun dududun dun)

Postby HES » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:41 am UTC

We're in RUN. mode at my HFFS, but I had to drop by because my approver's initials are ED so all the documents I'm finalising keep reminding me of our resident Summer.
He/Him/His Image

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:06 am UTC

HES wrote:We're in RUN. mode at my HFFS

RUN. well, hamply!
Wait on.

Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”