1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby addams » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:33 pm UTC

squareroot wrote:I hope I'm not intruding. I just wanted to say... sometimes I stop by this thread and see, amazed, how it's still going. It's really awesome. I only read Time way too late to join this, but I wanted to say you guys are incredible. I look at your little subculture and see how it survives and, honestly, am quite jealous. I know that there's no way I could join it now, it's too complicated and built on too much history. But I hope all of you guys are having fun. It certainly looks like you are. [sigh]
Square root; Please, jump in.
Jump into the River of Time.

Both the best and the worst things in life are better when shared.
The Posters of Time (including you) have so much to share.

The joys and transportation of Marie Callendar's Pies.
Semencancercoffeebabies-(whatever That is.)-.

Our stories, real and fictional.
The birds of the air, Junebug's cat on a leash.

The sweet and creepy squeaking of Otter and Sloth.
And; Everyday, Everywhere we have weather to share.

This may be the kindest and brightest place on The Net.
Square root; Jump in. Jump back into the River of Time.

ggh; Yes. I'd love to see photos of the greenhouse.
Spoiler:
Did you build it with your own hands?
I did not build my greenhouse.

I pointed to a place, they put the pre-fab greenhouse in that spot.
Then I handed them a check.
ucim wrote:Brains are what you need when you run out of money.
Money is what you need when you run out of brains.
:D I'm glad I had money on that day.
The greenhouse has withstood hurricane force winds blowing in from The Pacific.
It is shelter from the storm for me and my forest of stunted citrus.

I so wish I could help you with your storm battered greenhouse.
Building is so very, very difficult.

I am confident, you and the Little Wonder will overcome.
The story of how you do it will keep me on the edge of my seat.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:49 pm UTC

micdi wrote:Don't be afraid to say things that have already been said, by now a lot of things have been, and redundancy is molpish. (except maybe the javascript, you really don't have to mention that)
There was javascript?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:00 am UTC

ucim wrote:
micdi wrote:Don't be afraid to say things that have already been said, by now a lot of things have been, and redundancy is molpish. (except maybe the javascript, you really don't have to mention that)
There was javascript?

It's not really RELATED similar, but imagine how awesomeful it would be if Beanish was based on the Javanese script...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Re: 1190: "Phantom Time"

Postby bachaddict » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:12 am UTC

ggh wrote:
bachaddict wrote:Is hattening still happening?
I guess a wig isn't really a hat:
Spoiler:
Oops.

Haha! thanks, it'll do fine :D
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

thunk

1190: "Odtish Karass"

Postby thunk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:02 am UTC

My workload seems to have suddenly diminished in the last week. It may well be time to restart the blitz.

Past thunk has been stuck on the Elephant Island of the thread for months now--it's about Time to get home.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

addams

Postby addams » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:03 am UTC

Time;
The night is cold.
I am warm and cozy.

I think I love you.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:27 am UTC

Ooh... now I really want some cherry cobbler....

Hi squareroot and Liri!

addams wrote:ggh; Yes. I'd love to see photos of the greenhouse.
Spoiler:
Did you build it with your own hands?
I did not build my greenhouse.

I pointed to a place, they put the pre-fab greenhouse in that spot.
Then I handed them a check.
ucim wrote:Brains are what you need when you run out of money.
Money is what you need when you run out of brains.
:D I'm glad I had money on that day.
The greenhouse has withstood hurricane force winds blowing in from The Pacific.
It is shelter from the storm for me and my forest of stunted citrus.

I so wish I could help you with your storm battered greenhouse.
Building is so very, very difficult.

I am confident, you and the Little Wonder will overcome.
The story of how you do it will keep me on the edge of my seat.
Prepare to be underwhelmed!
Wait! First some backstory:
Spoiler:
It's all New World's fault! A while back they ran a promotion: every $40 you spent in their grocery store, you got a little mini food toy.
Some folks thought it was shameless marketing to kids, but the Little Wonder and I thought it was neat getting little pressies when we went out to do our shopping. The last few months however, they ran a similar promotion that even the most cynical folks I know had trouble finding fault with: for every $40 spend, you got a Little Garden pot.

Now, I like gardening stuff, and I imagined happily tending plants with the Little Wonder, but every time I tried to involve her repotting a hydrangea cutting or something, she wasn't the least bit interested, even though it involved possibly her favourite toy in the world: dirt! But then New World comes along with these little seedling kits, and she loves 'inflating' the dehydrated dirt and then checking in the morning to see if any new seedlings have popped their heads up. Well, okay then. Better run with it.

I supplemented our Little Garden seedlings with a few young tomato, celery and bell pepper plants, but where to put them? We don't get much sun past morning and the wind is pretty abusive. We have a little deck that would lengthen the day, but the wind up there....

I've always wanted a little greenhouse, but I've resisted, because... well, I'm notorious for starting projects and never finishing them. There are the unconnected pieces of what I dreamt would be the base of a sturdy workbench in my laundry room, a broken kiln in my driveway, a partially cutout cribbage board somewhere that I never drilled the holes in, fabric from who knows how many abandoned ideas, and pieces of a dissembled piano scattered all over the house. But still... where to put those plants... and the Little Wonder loves little houses to play in....

So, there were these other abandoned projects too: when I was pregnant and nesting, I tried to make storm windows to insulate the nine big windows at the back of my house. I bought the plexiglass but succeeded in making only 5 before the Little Wonder came along and all projects halted. And then one broke because I mis-measured and had to make the frame too thin. So 5 pieces of 80x142cm (2'7"x4'8") plexiglass were just sitting around, taking up space. And then there was that time about 7 years ago when I decided to make my house into a dynamic soundscape to be experienced blindfolded and covered the floors with palettes to <blah, blah blah - does it really matter?>. There were a bunch of palettes waiting under my house from that. Surely that plexiglass and those palettes are pretty much a greenhouse kit waiting to happen.
Okay, now, prepare to be underwhelmed!
Spoiler:
IMG_2524.JPG
IMG_2532.JPG
IMG_2534.JPG
IMG_2536.JPG
IMG_2555.JPG
So the design - what there is of a design - is ruled by the dimensions of my 5 pieces of plexiglass and a desire to not have to duck. The plants will be raised inside on boxes or something. There will be a door... maybe a flimsy one using some corrugated plastic palette liner tacked to a frame. And somewhere I think I have some leftover pieces of clear plastic tablecloth I had bought to repair a car window on a softtop - if I can find that, that could be the windows on either side of the door. The door faces south, so it's not important what happens there light-wise. I'm not sure yet what to do about the triangle gaps under the roof....

So, yeah, after some reasonable planning at the palette dissembling and cutting stage, I'm mostly making it all up as I go along, reinforcing sloppily at every turn with whatever materials are laying about in the house. Sure, plans would be good, but if I put this off until I've made some good plans, it'll never happen.

So for now, my fingers are crossed. Tomorrow's forecast is "A few showers to rain evening. Severe gale northerlies." Severe... that's not a word they throw around here. The hour-by-hour is calling for an average wind speeds to rise throughout the day all the way to 52kph. I'd guess gusts of 120kph (75mph)? We'll see if there are still five pieces of plexiglass after that. But then, sadly the winds are forecast to stay strong for a few days, and then, amid rain, change to a southerly, and that looks to be the direction the greenhouse is more vulnerable to, at least without the door. Doesn't really look like there's going to be a break in the winds before that long enough for me to put on a door. Hmm.

ZoomanSP wrote:It's not really RELATED similar, but imagine how awesomeful it would be if Beanish was based on the Javanese script...
Completely. It would be completely awesomeful. :)

ETA: AAAAAaaaaah! Suddenly the wind, and whether the greenhouse falls over doesn't seem like such a big deal.
You okay, bachaddict and MistyCat?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

HES

Postby HES » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:33 am UTC

Oh penis! Everyone still with us down there?
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:49 am UTC

Happy 45C HES!

The shaking at my place was what you'd classify as "light" but it scared the chirp outta me. Lasted for ages. And more keep following. They're hardly noticeable here, but they're popping up all over the map... Wellington is kinda due... wondering if I should RUN... and there goes another one....

The Christchurch boys are probably laughing at me...

ETA: It's just that I'm not sure that whoever built this house was thinking any further ahead than I am with the greenhouse.

And here we go again.

ETA2: While I'm here and totally unable to go to sleep...
Earlier today I was looking at the Iron SeaWolpy Facebug page and saw that Hoist the Black Flag was included on a list of Best Folk Metal Cover in October 2016. See the cover about halfway down the page: http://www.bdpmetal.net/2016/11/best-fo ... ZYPWb27.99 The Facebug thingie says our talented Yappo was responsible for the artwork. :)
Last edited by ggh on Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:38 pm UTC

addams wrote:Time;
The night is cold.
I am warm and cozy.

I think I love you.

I have three separate responses to that, which somehow don't seem to work very well alongside each other, but because I'm bad at decisionmaking, you get them all anyway:
  1. We love you too.
  2. That last line was exactly the words of David Cassidy, in fact, while he was still with the Partridge Family...
  3. That was tantalizingly close to a haiku! In fact, I felt tempted enough to "fix" that poem so that it fit the conventional 5-7-5 form, but the result turned out to be not an actual improvement on the poem.

Oh, all right...
    Spoiler:
    So close to haiku!
    Addams, I hope you don't mind
    I fixed that for you:
    addams very nearly wrote:Time; the night is cold.
    I'm feeling warm and cozy.
    I think I love you.

Ggh, keep yourself and the Little Wonder safe! And let's hope that whoever built your house was not just using parts of but also acting like a big tree.

ETA: And the same, of course, for our other Kiwi OTTers.

In the news report it doesn't sound that harmless after all (just that Wellington was merely on the outskirts of the effects), and the Christchurch boys may not really feel like laughing right now.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:59 pm UTC

Huh, that report calls it a 7.8... For quite a while geonet.org.nz was listing it in the 6s. I see they've upgraded it now to a 7.5.

And there's another one....
ETA: smaller, but closer.

I do wish they'd check in... With the amount of Time MistyCat spends with the prayer tiles though, I'd hope that that would help.

A lot of flashing lights at the airport here. Heh - I wonder if the eagle fell down again. They've got a big sculpture of Gandalf on an eagle suspended from the ceiling. It's fallen twice already during tremors.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:22 pm UTC

Eek, just heard the reports of a 7.8 near Christchurch! (The parents of one of my friends live there and they've not heard from them yet. Worrying!). Hope everyone in NZ is OK!

--Rakhal

addams

Postby addams » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:27 pm UTC

Oh! My!
Oh! My!
Oh! My!

Wind AND an Earthquake?!
You are in California South!

Hang on!
Be well!

We are crossing fingers and pushing thumbs for you.

If the greenhouse makes it,
I know what to do with the triangle bits.

Cover them with screen.
That allows for airflow.

Let us know what morning brings.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:04 pm UTC

Ch*rp, and now a tsunami too? (Same link as before - news story has been updated.)

Is that a part of the sea that can be seen in the background of ggh's greenhouse pictures? Looks like the place is high up enough though that it shouldn't be affected as the tsunami is reported not to have been that high around Wellington. But still, it would be nice to hear about all our fellow OTTers down there.

Understandable, though, that in a situation where they might be physically safe but otherwise affected, letting us know they are safe might not be too high on their list of priorities. So let's just all hope for the best and send molpish thoughts.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:26 pm UTC

Rakhal wrote:Eek, just heard the reports of a 7.8 near Christchurch! (The parents of one of my friends live there and they've not heard from them yet. Worrying!). Hope everyone in NZ is OK!
Sounds like a lot of folks in Christchurch are getting evacuated. Marlborough too. Everyone's using their mobile phones - I wouldn't be surprised if it was hard for some folks to get their calls through.

Poor Kaikoura and Seddon are getting rocked as well. Seddon got hit hard a few years ago too. We, in Wellington, were complaining about a few little jolts then (me too - I'm a scaredy-cat) while they were taking the big hits.

svenman wrote:Ch*rp, and now a tsunami too? (Same link as before - news story has been updated.)

Is that a part of the sea that can be seen in the background of ggh's greenhouse pictures? Looks like the place is high up enough though that it shouldn't be affected as the tsunami is reported not to have been that high around Wellington. But still, it would be nice to hear about all our fellow OTTers down there.

Understandable, though, that in a situation where they might be physically safe but otherwise affected, letting us know they are safe might not be too high on their list of priorities. So let's just all hope for the best and send molpish thoughts.
Apparently only the red zone of the water around here is being evacuated, and the red zone is like standing on the beach. Dunedin, on the other hand is apparently in full-blown state-of-emergency mode in response to the tsunami threat.
Agatha the Awesomeful

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:44 pm UTC

Here in Christchurch the quakes don't seem to be too bad. I'm fine, friends in Blenheim are fine.
It's 3:40 am. Here's a screen capture taken 2 minutes ago showing quakes above 5.5
EDIT - I've forgotten how to show it full size, but a click ought to do something.

Quakes 3.40am Wed 14th Nov 2016.jpg

Redundant
Spoiler:
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:01 pm UTC

Yay! Good to hear from you MistyCat!

It's been like an hour since the last one above 5, so I think I'll go to sleep. The Little Wonder has slept through it all and may very well be ready to get up in a few hours....

Hmm, our water is brown now - I hope that's the whole area and not something broken on my property. I guess I'll find out in the morning.
Agatha the Awesomeful

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:54 pm UTC

ggh wrote: Dunedin, on the other hand is apparently in full-blown state-of-emergency mode in response to the tsunami threat.

My nephew is there.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:12 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
ggh wrote: Dunedin, on the other hand is apparently in full-blown state-of-emergency mode in response to the tsunami threat.

My nephew is there.

Our prayers are with everyone who was ousted from their homes and with the people who put themselves in harm's way to help them. I hope your nephew is all right.

Edited to delete text that was here.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

thunk

1190: "Strike-Slip Time"

Postby thunk » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:03 pm UTC

Hell, and I thought the shocks in Oklahoma were bad.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:10 pm UTC

Oh dear. I hope you are still all right in NZ. Sending my best antipodal wishes.

Darn, I am posting this on a new phone that I haven't figured out yet. The spellchecker tries to change every English word to a Swedish word with a few similar letters. "Wishes" becomes "Widgren", for example, which is probably someone's name, but I don't know the fellow.

Welcome to the thread, squareroot! (I have been off-thread, or "basemented", for about a year, and have only read the last half-page now. Not sure if I can catch up...) But it's nice to see that the thread is alive and our NZ-ers seem to be all right so far.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:09 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

My nephew is there.
Have you heard from him yet?
Thankfully, I just heard on the telly that the tsunami alert is over now.

The aftershocks continue, but here in Wellington, I haven't felt any yet this morning.

Hi mikrit!

ETA: It's an odd morning here. Many folks are still sleeping in. Central Wellington is closed for business. Nationwide, it looks like there have been two fatalities - one from a homestead collapse and a heart attack victim who couldn't be reached by the ambulance. Hopefully that number doesn't rise. Some of the major roads have become impassable, and so many places are only really connected by one road, so the lack of redundancy is a big hindrance to emergency services.
Agatha the Awesomeful

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:14 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

My nephew is there.

I've gotten word that he and his home are Ok. Praying that others have similarly good reports.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:14 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

My nephew is there.

I've gotten word that he and his home are Ok. Praying that others have similarly good reports.

Some Ways to Time

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:23 pm UTC

The earthquake seems to have cracked the fora. The last post I made appeared double-posted too.

Glad you've gotten good news!
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

what a coincidence

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:26 pm UTC

Some of you found this http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/2words/.

What is it and why I made it?

It's one of the interfaces I made recently.

There is a game I like. A word game. It doesn't have an official name. We used to call it "two words", "word adding", "storypuzzle", "wordgame", "THE game", etc.
It's based on another wordgame I know.

In the original game one player started by saying a word. The next player had to repeat the word and add another one. The first (or next if there were more) player had to repeat both words and add another. The next had to repeat all three and add another one. And so on. The next word should not be totally random, it has to make sense to add it after the previous one. When more words are added a weird 'story' is created.

But the original rules were not good enough. We wanted something better. Something that can force us to be more creative in the game and make more interesting results. We modified the rules.

The player adds two words instead of one. But not just any two words. The first word must start with the same letter as the previous player's second word. And the second word must start with a different one.
With the new rules the game is 100 times better!

There are some people who like to play it with me. But not many. Most often I played it with my sisters or my cousin when going for a walk with the dog.
I always played the game in Polish.

I thought that it is not possible to play the game with the new rules in English. Because of the limitations of the English Language's structure.
mrob27 showed one example that proved that it is possible.

But still English language is very different so the stories generated with this game must be different too.
I waned to find out.
I created the online interface for this game. It's not identical to the real word game because you don't have to remember the words and you can't reinterpret the punctuation.
Some of you found it and played it. I played it too.
The stories are indeed different.
Also, the English version is more difficult for me.

I also had other reasons for creating this interface. They will be more clear later in the future.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Gingercat

Re: 1190: "Time": MEGBALL / THE PINKLYMOLP -- MAKE TIME WORLD GREAT AGAIN!*

Postby Gingercat » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:47 pm UTC

Link wrote:*Title should not be taken as endorsement for Tronald Dump.
Denial of endorsement of Tronald Dump should not be taken as endorsement for Hilarity Clowntown.
Actually, ch*rp politics altogether.

Tronald Dump? Snicker, giggle, small laugh as it sinks in...

Hilarity Clowntown?? Buahahahahaha!!! And her husband, Wild Willy Clowntown!

Oh my! Oh my!! That is how I shall think of them both from now on!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:28 am UTC

Ooh, Schrödinger's Gingercat is here. I just wanted to say I loved the Chronicles of Torgos. They're the only posts I've read that weren't in the present of either the thread or my blitz. The writing style fits the medium and subject admirably1, and I really enjoyed reading them. Hopefully there are more on the way.

Gingercat wrote:
Link wrote:*Title should not be taken as endorsement for Tronald Dump.
Denial of endorsement of Tronald Dump should not be taken as endorsement for Hilarity Clowntown.
Actually, ch*rp politics altogether.

Tronald Dump? Snicker, giggle, small laugh as it sinks in...

Oh my! Oh my!! That is how I shall think of them both from now on!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

I found that vastly amusing as well.

Also
taixzo wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:[snip]

I have it on my home sand. I will re-upload it, when I get a chance.

That would be awesome, thank you.

And I picked this up at some point along the way

1I've taken exactly one English class in my life, so I'm totally an expert...
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Whelmed Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:32 am UTC

I interrupt your irregularly scheduled emergency aftermath discussion to say that I wasn't underwhelmed by the greenhouse. Though I wasn't over whelmed either.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Link

Re: 1190: "Time": MEGBALL / THE PINKLYMOLP -- MAKE TIME WORLD GREAT AGAIN!*

Postby Link » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:45 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:Tronald Dump? Snicker, giggle, small laugh as it sinks in...

Can't take credit for those, though: they were ingredients filters during the last Chocolate chips Mod Madness. Bernie Sanders was filtered to Bunny Sandals! :lol:

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:46 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
SBN wrote:

My nephew is there.

Good to know that, and good to hear from MistyCat too. Let's hope (and send molpish thoughts (which, if you are inclined that way, you may feel free to substitute with "pray")) that all OTTers and their loved ones in Kiwiland remain safe, and also that the bad weather that, as ggh had previously told us, is forecast for parts of New Zealand won't acerbate the the unmolpish effects of the quakes for the safety and wellbeing of people too much.

Also hoping, though with a lot less urgency of course, that eventually we'll get to find out what became of ggh's greenhouse project...

ggh

Re: what a coincidence

Postby ggh » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:34 pm UTC

2words is pretty treeish. I really enjoyed playing it at first, but then I quickly realised that I lack the proper temperament to participate in it: when ideas would get derailed I would feel unnecessarily frustrated. In the game of dominoes, players lay the dominoes end to end such that the touching ends match (1’s touch 1’s, 2’s touch 2’s, etc.). The other thing that folk mainly do with dominoes is set them up to make elaborate chain reactions of toppling dominoes, always facing the danger that they'll lose all the work they've done so far if someone bumps into the project. With 2words, you play both kinds of domino games at the same time. :)
balthasar_s wrote:I thought that it is not possible to play the game with the new rules in English. Because of the limitations of the English Language's structure.
I'm curious what this was. (And also wondering how mrob is enjoying grad school.)

balthasar_s wrote:But still English language is very different so the stories generated with this game must be different too.
I waned to find out.
I created the online interface for this game. It's not identical to the real word game because you don't have to remember the words and you can't reinterpret the punctuation.
Some of you found it and played it. I played it too.
The stories are indeed different.
Also, the English version is more difficult for me.

I also had other reasons for creating this interface. They will be more clear later in the future.
I will happily wait for it. You do such awesomeful things! :)

On NP 2526, balthasar_s wrote:ETA: There is still one unclosed time loop in BFTF:
frame 251, and 330 - 340.
As far as I know this message (from the future) hasn't been sent yet.
Your sister has to close this loop, right? Do we need to ask Aluisio to give her an email address? (Wouldn't it be nice if the mere mention of his name summoned our wandering dragonmolp?)

Eternal Density wrote:I interrupt your irregularly scheduled emergency aftermath discussion to say that I wasn't underwhelmed by the greenhouse. Though I wasn't over whelmed either.
Aw, thanks for your whelmedness! :)

svenman wrote:Good to know that, and good to hear from MistyCat too. Let's hope (and send molpish thoughts (which, if you are inclined that way, you may feel free to substitute with "pray")) that all OTTers and their loved ones in Kiwiland remain safe, and also that the bad weather that, as ggh had previously told us, is forecast for parts of New Zealand won't acerbate the the unmolpish effects of the quakes for the safety and wellbeing of people too much.
All molpish thoughts directed this way are appreciated - Wellington seems fine as far as I can tell (online. I'm not going out more than I have to) but Kaikoura is a nice little town that could use all the molpish vibes you can send. They're cut off by land, awaiting evacuation by naval vessel expected Wednesday with an estimated 3-day water supply remaining.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Agatha the Awesomeful

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:22 pm UTC

New OtherComic.

This is as good an opportunity as any to summon our Holy Catographer, edfel, while we're already at it (the summoning).
Maybe we know now where the hill people's ancestors come from?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

Postby HES » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:25 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic

They missed Otterton
He/Him/His Image

balthasar_s

One of the

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:55 pm UTC

ggh wrote:2words is pretty treeish. I really enjoyed playing it at first, but then I quickly realised that I lack the proper temperament to participate in it: when ideas would get derailed I would feel unnecessarily frustrated.
The unpredictability is actually something I like about this game. However, when played in real life, with only two players the derailment rate is a little lower. Also you can protest against the words used by the other player. This feature is very rarely used.
I would like to show some examples but I don't feel like translating them.
ggh wrote: In the game of dominoes, players lay the dominoes end to end such that the touching ends match (1’s touch 1’s, 2’s touch 2’s, etc.). The other thing that folk mainly do with dominoes is set them up to make elaborate chain reactions of toppling dominoes, always facing the danger that they'll lose all the work they've done so far if someone bumps into the project. With 2words, you play both kinds of domino games at the same time. :)
I like this analogy.

ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:I thought that it is not possible to play the game with the new rules in English. Because of the limitations of the English Language's structure.
I'm curious what this was. (And also wondering how mrob is enjoying grad school.)
At the time of the conference in Bochum you could meet kxa on the IRC. And she mentioned the game. He later asked me about it, and so on.

ggh wrote:Your sister has to close this loop, right? Do we need to ask Aluisio to give her an email address? (Wouldn't it be nice if the mere mention of his name summoned our wandering dragonmolp?)
My sister? Which one? Also, why? None of them have even read bftf. One of them saw some frames, when I asked her to reenact KXA in the enhancements.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

addams

Re: what a coincidence

Postby addams » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:06 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I interrupt your irregularly scheduled emergency aftermath discussion to say that I wasn't underwhelmed by the greenhouse. Though I wasn't over whelmed either.
Aw, thanks for your whelmedness! :)
Thank you for the photos of your home.
I am whelmed by your greenhouse, too.

I am so very impressed with your ambition and ingenuity.
What a lovely place you have to view the world from.

Did the planetary upheaval leave your work intact?
I hope so.

Because, if so, soon; very soon;
Tomatoes and Cucumbers and Rex Begonia may be pouring
out of that modest structure to meet the morning sun.

OH! MY!...Thank you for the photos.
Poor little Kaikoura.

It is true; 'A picture is worth a thousand words.'

All molpish thoughts directed this way are appreciated - Wellington seems fine as far as I can tell (online. I'm not going out more than I have to) but Kaikoura is a nice little town that could use all the molpish vibes you can send. They're cut off by land, awaiting evacuation by naval vessel expected Wednesday with an estimated 3-day water supply remaining.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Those photos may find their way into geology textbooks.
They are beautiful examples of slumps and there may even be a Sturzstrom in there, somewhere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slump_(geology)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturzstrom

Both your weather and geology are very much like Northern California.
From what I understand, the California Coastal Redwood grows better there than here.

My thoughts are with the people of Kaikoura
as I still fuss and worry about the people of Haiti.

Thank you ggh, for letting us into your world.
I am so glad you and the Little Wonder are well.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:20 pm UTC

Just now heard about the earthquakes and hurried on over to the forum. I'm happy to see good reports from our OTTers in the area. Sending mopish thoughts to everyone affected.

Also, hi, mikrit (which my computer autocorrected to mikron. :) ) ! Good to see you! And do I see that we have a new Revealer the Recent? I have a bit of ketchup to do still.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np778

Postby mscha » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:00 pm UTC

OFFERONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by lmjb1964.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:¡THIS BAGUNILDORANG IS OTTCOLORISING ME!

-- posted by randompixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:48 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

Molpish! I live in Lakebottom. Iron SeaWolpy are based mainly in Weedle. For our recent tour, the other two bands played in Dampshire followed by Whaling, before we joined them up in Glassdoor. We then went through the Highlands to Everdeen, then our northernmost gig in the Helcaraxe. We then went back down through Eavestroughs and Seasedge for our next gig in Eyemouth. Then we had a day off so went back to Weedle to recuperate before the next gig in Hillfolk. After that we took the long journey through West Norsussex, South Norwessex, Nothingham and Cumberbatch, in order to reach our final gig which was in (oh man, can't wait to see what funny name GLR's come up with for London) ...London.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:34 pm UTC

How was it yappo?
Having come from America, that all sounds about right to me. Maybe not Glassdoor.

ETA: Btw, bachaddict appears to be fine, so I think that's all of us. (Well Latent22 is pretty deep in the basement, but the map says that his basement is to the north.)
Agatha the Awesomeful

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”